Old School Total Body Workout

My theory is if I drink a lot of smoothies, spring will magically appear.

IMG_6158

So far, outlook not good…(although today was the first dusting of snow we’ve had practically all winter!). This is why I haven’t changed my blog header to a winter theme yet…I need more snow!

IMG_1432

This smoothie was made up of frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries (~1 cup) along with almond milk (1.25 cups), chia seeds (2 tbsp), and half a frozen banana.

IMG_6162

Followed by a frozen girl.

To warm up, I did this quick at-home power workout using a jump rope and my own body weight for resistance exercises. Kicking it old school!

I did 3 sets of the following exercises:

• 1 minute jumping jacks
  • 2 minutes jump rope
  • 15 lunges on each leg
  • 1 minute jump rope
  • 2 sets of 15 squats
  • 1 set of 15 push-ups (standard, kneeling, or combo)
  • 2 minutes jumping rope
  • 1 minute bicycle crunches

I did 3 sets and then some light stretching at the end. The workout took me 35 minutes and went by pretty quick! I also used this stopwatch timer on the internet too.

A few tips:

• Feel free to take rest breaks as needed
  • You will hate me for making the jump rope after the lunges (don’t say I didn’t warn you!)
  • Only got 10 minutes? Just do 1 set for a quick total body workout
  • Want to make it more challenging? Add some hand weights, water bottles, cans, etc
  • Want more cardio? Tack on a mile run before and/or after the workout
  • Feel free to change up the ab exercises at the end
  • Always consult a professional before beginning a new fitness regime

Rosy cheeks ensued! I love interval workouts.

IMG_1428

You know, old school moves never get old…especially jumping rope! I don’t know how I used to do that for hours and hours as a child. Must have been all that penny candy I was stuffing my face with. Do you remember how much candy $1 used to buy? 100 PIECES. That $5 allowance went pretty far back in the day.

1 StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 13, 2012

It’s always a good idea to go back to basics because chances are we haven’t done that stuff in a while and it will actually be challenging! Your smoothie looks great. We are just not having a winter over here so I’m actually starting to think it IS spring.

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

we haven’t had much of a winter yet either…just clouds mostly!

3 Katie Zega January 13, 2012

I’m definitely going to try this today…I’ve fallen off the exercise wagon and need to get back on!! :P It’s funny how I miss exercising, but it’s so hard to get myself to do it! Thanks for the idea!

4 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 13, 2012

Mmm, that looks delicious so says the hubby! I was just thinking yesterday “uh oh, she missed the winter header!” but now I know the theory behind that one. Clever girl. ;-) Enjoy the weekend Ms Rosy Cheeks!

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 13, 2012

Great workout Ange! I love jump rope workouts, and if my office was big enough, I’d bring my rope to work and bust out some skipping right now! ;) On the smoothie front…. I also sat in my room shivering while slurping every last drop of my green monster this morning. They’re just too good to miss!

6 Emily (Edible Psychology) January 13, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the ideas! I don’t have a gym membership at the moment, but really want some variation and strength training, so this looks perfect.

Happy Friday!

~Emily~

7 Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

angela! there’s not been much of a winter here in NC, yet, and I cannot really complain because the winters can be super cold + no snow and that kinda = no fun! but you’ve got LOTS of snow up where you are, usually, right? are you near Calgary?! … I will be visiting Olds, Alberta and Three Hills this summer…is that like 2 hours north of where you are? I’m not really familiar with the area but I remember Alberta being beautiful!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I’m in Ontario, but yes Alberta is gorgeous! one of my fav places

9 Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

oh sheesh! i was WAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! today Jasper will take Canada Geography 101 .. do you speak French?! last the feat of looking like even more of a weirdo in my comments prevent me from knowing more about you :)

10 Linda Thomas January 13, 2012

Love the 35 minutes! Will try it today!
Have a great weekend!

11 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 13, 2012

Since October’s ridiculous blizzard we haven’t gotten any snow either. Fingers crossed for a snowless winter! How amazing would that be in NY!?

12 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 13, 2012

That smoothie is gorgeous! I love how blackberries taste but I don’t like them in smoothies because the seeds are too big for me! I’ve been getting back into Jillian Michaels workout DVDs which are intervals of old school moves like the ones you did today. It’s a great workout for sure!

13 Ashley January 13, 2012

I am begging for more snow out here!! Reason 1 – snowboarding Reason 2 – the summer is going to be dry + on fire…come on snow! :) I haven’t had a smoothie in ages…brrr! That workout sounds spectacular!

14 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 13, 2012

I’m doing so many more of these lately thanks to my recently acquired Body Rock addiction. Need to get the motivation to jump rope… great workout but my coordination is *ahem* lacking.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

hah mine is too! I keep slapping myself silly…man it hurts! I need a non-plastic rope.

16 kathleen @ the daily crumb January 13, 2012

jumping rope is SO HARD! so good for you though. and the results make it totally worthwhile.

it’s snowing here in chicago as well… i’m not a happy girl.

17 Andrea @ Vegvacious January 13, 2012

It’s hard to believe that we are still just in the start of winter because it really has been feeling like Spring lately!

Have you ever tried a SkipFit workout? The YMCA that I belong to has a couple of classes per week – it’s a 45 minute class and my calves burn for 2 days afterwards!!!

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

No I havent but that sounds killer! Wish we had a YMCA around here. Now Im wondering if there are any skipping workouts online…. :)

19 Ashley Dodge January 13, 2012

We haven’t had any snow here in Reno, NV either! I’m quite afraid that soon, it’ll begin snowing like crazy… all the way into May, which happened a two years ago. It snowed the week of my May graduation from college- we were worried, but then the sun came out:) And then it snowed… in June. :/

20 Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

you live in Reno!!!??? that’s awesome, I lived there for two years you probably know some of the same people that I do (Reno is so small in that way!) now I am in Durham, NC … what’s Reno like these days!? One of the reasons I got so excited about OSG because I thought her “Home Reno” posts were because she lived in Reno! Then I felt like a real heel writing to Angela saying “You live in RENO!!” I know I’m weird…

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

that was cute :)

22 ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli January 13, 2012

Nice workout! We’ve been having a weird winter too out here in BC. It’s snowed a few times but so far hasn’t stuck and we’ve had SUN! It’s been amazing since our winters are usually so cloudy in the valley.

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Oh that’s so nice you’ve had sun! I was saying to Eric yesterday that we’ve been having a typical BC winter! hah

24 Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 13, 2012

my allowance was $5 too. I got a crapton of stuff for it!

25 Julia January 13, 2012

Ha, I’m also in love with smoothies, “old school moves” and intervalls right now!
Here in Germany, we also haven’t had much of a winter yet. Yesterday, it was more like an early spring day! last year, we had SO MUCH SNOW. Crazy weather…..

26 Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 13, 2012

Great work out! I am actually jealous of even the dusting! I’m in Utah and it hasn’t snowed since like Thanksgiving. That smoothie looks amazingly delish!

27 VeggieGirl January 13, 2012

I’ve been drinking smoothies all winter because I cant get fresh berries and I need my antioxidant fix (with frozen berries in my smoothies) :)

28 katie@ KatieDid January 13, 2012

I love simple workouts like that. I’ve been doing some good old fashion body weight only workouts too and keeping things simple when I don’t feel like getting myself to the gym or its too cold out.

29 Emily@livingLongfellow January 13, 2012

The smoothie looks so refreshing! yumners!!

30 Jess @ Healthy 'n Hungry January 13, 2012

I was looking for a good workout to do just as I opened up this post! This was awesome and I could definitely feel my legs burning. It also took me around 35 minutes with some weights work at the end. It went by so fast though that it didn’t even feel like 35 minutes, which I love!! Thanks for posting this today – it came in just the nick of time :)

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

That’s great! Glad you liked it. :)

32 Christine January 13, 2012

Interval workouts rock! I did a similar at-home workout as part of a boot camp program after having my second child, and got great results. I love the short intervals because it keeps the workout interesting and the heart rate up. I used a resistance band sometimes which was also great. Can’t say I love skipping, so I generally opt for other cardio burst options. :-)

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

ive heard great things about the resistance bands, should check those out sometime!

34 Stephanie W January 13, 2012

Hi Angela,

I don’t know if you have mentioned this before…but where did you get the really cool glass straws? Or maybe they are plastic…hard to tell. I would love to purchase some!

Steph

35 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Steph, Thank you, they are from Glass D’harma. I loooove the x-tra thick one.

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

ps- just make sure you rinse them with water immediately after using with smoothies or bad, bad things happen :)

37 Stephanie W January 13, 2012

Thanks so much! I am going to have to get a few! ;)

38 Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

haha! Angela you crack me up!

39 Heather @ Better With Veggies January 13, 2012

Jumping rope is HARD work, great idea to work it into a home exercise routine! I want snow too, but I have a poor chance of it happening (other than the flurries this morning) down here in GA. Can’t wait until our vacation in March in Utah – they better have snow! =)

40 Lindsay January 13, 2012

It’s snowing where I live but luckily I’m in Hawaii! It’s not going to be fun when I go back but for some reason I keep thinking that warm weather is going to come March first – I know it’s not going to because it’s never warm in March… but a girl can dream. That smoothie looks amazing :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I always think it’s spring after march, but really the warm weather doesn’t start til mid to end of may usually…ahhhh. Enjoy your trip!

42 Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 13, 2012

Oh I know, back in the day when we would just shove sugar down our throats without any thought of the consequences haha. What it’s like to be a kid.

Jump rope is SO HARD. I have to get one to get myself back into it because it really blitzes the calories and pushes your cardio ability like nothing else!!

43 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I know, I remember eating huge bags of penny candy like it was air. heh

44 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 13, 2012

Great workout! For some reason I find at-home workouts like this one SO much more challenging than running. I guess what’s why I don’t do them very often. :P

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

haha yea they are hard to keep doing on a regular basis…I find writing down the workout helps sometimes!

46 Mina January 13, 2012

I know this is random and your deck’s been done for awhile, but it just looks so good! I guess seeing a picture of it covered in snow made me realize that you guys completed it and it looks amazing!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks Mina! Everytime I look at it, I’m in awe that he built it.

48 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove January 13, 2012

I know it’s Winter and it’s cold outside (so I should probably be thinking about hot chocolate) but I can’t help but want to make this smoothie! It looks delicious!

49 Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 13, 2012

We had one big dump of snow earlier this year, but recently it’s just been plain old freezing cold. I’ll cross my fingers for your smoothie theory to work!

Also, I L.O.V.E.D. going to the penny candy store as a kid. I felt so rich!

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

haha same! if only we could buy as much stuff for a dollar now…I get a similar feeling when I buy something at dollar store, but its not quite the same.

51 Amanda @ FancyOatmeal January 13, 2012

What a great circuit training workout! I am going to copy it for my workout tomorrow!

52 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 13, 2012

I love at home circuit workouts when I’m pressed for time! That looks like a great mix of moves!!

53 Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012

Haha, I know what you mean! I’m in BC and we’ve had snow on the ground for like a week, months ago! I need more snow! But I’ll totally join you in drinking smoothies to bring on spring :D

54 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 13, 2012

love it! This is SO my kinda workout! Love the smoothie colour too! Looks great :)

55 Sunny January 13, 2012

smoothies are such a comfort food :) and you can pack so much in!! I’ve been tossing frozen cranberries into mine lately, no noticable taste difference but a big punch of vit c!!!

56 Antonia January 13, 2012

I really wished that that theory of yours would work. Been eating lots of fruit and drinking smoothies and it’s still winter over here. Can’t wait for a couple of sunny and warmer days!

57 Anna January 13, 2012

By the way, have you checked out the home workouts at http://www.bodyrock.tv? Interval stuff, some workouts with jump rope… I’d say that this one is my favorite at the moment: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/11/28/it-will-rain-sweat-1000-rep-workout/

Here in Finland we don’t have much snow, at least not yet. Just rain and sleet and cold winds…

58 Stacey January 13, 2012

I have been soooo into smoothies lately and have started making green monsters as well and I LOVE them! I feel so energized on the days that I have them! Old school interval exercises also seem to be making quite the comeback lately, I think it’s because it is a simple and effective way to get in a workout and usually you can just do it at home which is great if you don’t want to go to the gym.
Wishing it was spring too,
Stacey

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Glad you are enjoying the GM’s Stacey!

60 morgan January 13, 2012

love jump roping!
and swinging and monkey bars!

61 Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 13, 2012

Your smoothie looks delicious! We are the same way down here in MN we just got the first snow on the ground since November! It is so cold here!

62 TeenyLittleSuperChef January 13, 2012

I totally crave smoothies all year long which is unfortunate in the winter when I have to put on my gloves and puffy jacket just to be able to drink them. Oh well, it does a body good! That’s a great idea to do a little workout right after in order to warm up again. And jumping rope seriously never gets old. It takes me back to when I was little and we would do the Double Dutch jump rope on the playground… ahh memories :)
Have a great weekend! Stay warm

63 Brandy January 13, 2012

I’m trying to get back into working out too, mostly with strength training. I’ll do cardio all day, but strength is not my thing! And who am I kidding, I haven’t been doing much cardio lately either! Anyway, have you ever looked at the Bex Life site? She’s a personal trainer and her workouts are awesome. She posts them all on you tube. My favorite is the One Month Twelve Workouts series. http://www.bexlife.com/2009/12/one-month-twelve-workouts-video-1-of-12/
Just figured I’d pass that along.

64 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks I will check it out :)

65 Amber K January 13, 2012

There was never a place with penny candy near me, so $1 bought one king size candy bar. But I totally used my sugar high from that to use my Skip-it for hours at a time. I don’t think I actually ever did jump rope, but man that Skip-it was the best!

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

oh SKIP IT!!!! Totally forgot about those. How dare I. I wonder if I can buy one off ebay hah

67 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 13, 2012

And how was it that jumping rope was so easy as a kid. And now, 1 min or 2min seems like a really long time to struggle? LOL. Nice smoothie!

68 Christine January 13, 2012

Angela, I tweeted you a response to your old school workout by telling you to check out a “real” old school workout… Buns of Steel. I thought about it after I tweeted and thought it might have come across as me implying that I didn’t think your workout wasn’t a “real” old school workout, when what I meant was “REALLY” old school, like way – way back in the day! I didn’t at all mean to imply that your workout wasn’t a real old school one. Anyway, maybe you didn’t even take it that way at all and I’m just being hyper sensitive today, but I just wanted to clarify for fear of coming across as rude! Okay, just had to get that out! :)

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Christine! heh just got your tweet…I didn’t take it that way AT ALL so don’t worry! I’m always worrying about wording online too. Story of my life. Anyways, I will def check out that video…anything with buns of steel deserves a look. ;)

70 Christine January 14, 2012

Oh good, I feel much better now! :) I’m always worried about wording too! Here’s a link to part 1 of 3 of the Buns of Steel workout I mentioned: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCBPpsWdsE You will laugh really hard when you see the outfits and hear the instructor’s comments, but it burns!! Part 1 works the outer thigh and parts 2 & 3 do the inner thighs and butt. Happy bun burning! ;)

71 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2012

hah oh man I just clicked play and it’s hilarious…but it looks like it’s a good workout indeed!

72 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 13, 2012

The last picture of you is why the name of this site is what it is: you’re glowing!

Glad you got a good workout in and I haven’t jumped rope in far too long but I love old school workouts like just jumping rope, pushups, a few situps, and back to basic moves.

And oh yes, $1 used to buy enough candy and sugar to get a good sugar rush going :)

73 Susan H. @ The Food Allergy Chronicles January 13, 2012

Oh that smoothie looks so yummy! Did you get a big dumping of snow today? Finally, a winter wonderland! You may get to take your winter picture!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

We haven’t got too much…maybe 5cm or so? I’m still hoping to take the pics this weekend though! Not sure what I’m going to put in them….maybe a big smoothie and swimsuit? lol

75 Mary@QuarterLifePickMeUp January 13, 2012

I’ve missed your work out posts! Hope to see more of them!

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks Mary, I hope to do more too! Missed them.

77 Elizabeth January 13, 2012

Oh my goodness, that smoothie looks DELICIOUS! Thank you for the idea! I haven’t tried Chia seeds yet, but I’ve heard so many good things about them, especially when you’re a runner, so I will have to give them a try. The workout also looks challenging and awesome. Thank you for sharing! :)

78 Elly January 13, 2012

Mmm, your smoothie looks good and your workout looks great – nice and high intensity! Quick question – are you still running much? Would love to hear how you are going with your running/what your usual weekly workout routine looks like :)

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Elly! Good question…I am running on the treadmill over the winter mostly (unless we have a warm day here and there)…I haven’t kept track but I’d say I’ve been running 10 miles a week or a bit more (in addition to the DVD workout stuff). I’m basically just running to keep up my base right now, but will amp it up once the weather gets nicer and I’m training for a race!

80 Elly January 13, 2012

Oh great, thanks for replying! Looking forward to hearing about your training in the lead-up to your races this year :) Hope the weather warms up a bit for you so that you can enjoy some outside runs as well :)

81 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 13, 2012

I kick it old school everyday (that I start with a bodyrock.tv workout, anyways) It feels so great using my body weight to achieve results. Love it! Have an awesome weekend!

82 dana @ my little celebration January 13, 2012

Just did this workout and it KILLED. Thanks Angela! I took me 40 minutes with adequate dance breaks :D

Happy Weekending!

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Oh I can’t believe I forgot dancing breaks! Will have to add that in…or myabe break dancing? bahah

84 Melody (Redhead in the Kitchen) January 13, 2012

Awesome! I’ve been looking for an old school routine like this. Definitely will try this week!

85 Laura @ Running on Pie January 13, 2012

That looks like a fun workout for a icky weather day!

86 Cait's Plate January 13, 2012

Hahah I love that theory! I’m going to jump on board and hope that with the two of us drinking lots of smoothies Spring will HAVE to come faster! :)

87 LizAshlee January 13, 2012

I love workouts like this one..they are my fav!! :)

88 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 13, 2012

Smoothies + space heater = best combination ever :)

89 Moni'sMeals January 13, 2012

let me just say… that is a fabulous routine, well done. :) Old skool is the way to go and jump rope… always!

Yum on that smoothie!!

90 Karlee @olivewineandfood January 13, 2012

I’m trying to pin that workout, but i can’t figure out how!

91 Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 13, 2012

That smoothie is such a fun color and bursting with nutrition!

92 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles January 13, 2012

We warmed up with jump roping at CrossFit the other day and I could not believe how difficult it was. When I was twelve I could jump rope for hours!

93 Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 13, 2012

Sometimes the best workouts are old school. I like to run up and down my stairs, do pushups, squats, tricep dips, and dance around like a fool. Simple but effective!

94 Natalie @fitjamericangirl.com January 13, 2012

It’s like we’re thinking on the same wave length here. I totally woke up this morning and thought, “I’m gonna do an old school workout”. So I did some Tae Bo. Whooo!!! Was that tough. I haven’t done Tae Bo in like seven years and it was like waking up parts of my body that have gone to sleep. What a jolt! Next I think I’m going to find some of my mom’s old Jane Fonda tapes.

95 Mandy Jo January 13, 2012

Not much Winter here in Idaho (aka I-duh-ho) either!
Thanks for the great workout! I recently purchased a gym membership and have realized that I really prefer working out at home. I think you can get the same benefits at home anyway and it’s cheaper AND much less time consuming!

96 Addy January 13, 2012

Thanks for the workout, Angela- I did it today, and it was perfect! I’ve heard jumping rope is a really good workout…boy, do I believe it now!

97 Mish January 13, 2012

I did the same today. It was a HOT humid saturday morning this morning in Australia and I just got on the treadmill and just walked intervals inclines for 20 minutes. Got off and thought I’ll do a 10 minute circuit of kettelball squats, weight lunges then plyo lunges, shoulder press, tricep kickbacks, plank then medicine ball crunches. It was simple, and good. old school. fabulous.

98 Mish January 13, 2012

When it’s warm outside..I can’t remember if you’ve made popsciles, but I threw my smoothies with a hint of extra banana and soy yogurt into molds. They’re great…for when it’s hot. Six more months to go ;)

99 Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño January 13, 2012

Looks and sounds amazing, plus your workout tips are super helpful. very nice

100 Sarah @ The Healthy Diva January 13, 2012

Loving the old school workout girl. I made a blueberry raspberry protein smoothie this morning. Was delish!!!

101 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 14, 2012

I’m a huge fan of the ol’ jumprope :) sexy calves, yes please.

102 Willow January 14, 2012

Haha – I keep eating cold breakfasts as well, and then putting on some music and kicking it to warm up. Wish I had a jump rope, though… that’d make it more fun. :)

103 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 14, 2012

Great workout! I’m going to do this one today!

104 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 14, 2012

Jumping rope is SUCH an awesome workout! I Definitely need to do it more often!

105 laura January 14, 2012

I used to love jump roping as a child. I could do double dutch!
& I am really liking your theory, enough with this coldness

106 Stacey January 14, 2012

I bought a jump rope today so I can do your workout at home. It will be nice for days I don’t feel like going to the gym.

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Enjoy Stacey!

108 Tamara January 14, 2012

Yum, I love having smoothies even in the winter, it helps to cool me down after the workouts & love the old school workout!
T

109 Theresa V January 14, 2012

This is exactly what I needed to kick the winter lazies. I just did it with a few alterations and loveeed it. It felt great to get out the ol’ jump rope! I can’t wait to pair this with a green monster next time. Thanks!

110 Andrea January 14, 2012

Angela, I was planning on making your recipe for vegan shepherd’s pie this weekend and now I can’t find it anywhere on the blog! Could you help please?

111 Andrea January 14, 2012

Just found it through a previous post. Couldn’t find it on the recipage though, weird.

112 denise January 14, 2012

Do you have any idea how many calories you burned with that workout? I know we shouldn’t focus on counting calories, but I am curious to know how it compares to other types of workouts.

113 Hong January 14, 2012

Thank you for the stop watch link. It is great. It keeps all the time intervals for each set of exercise, and total the whole work out. Love it.

114 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. January 14, 2012

Have been living on smoothies lately. Banana Nation. Like a Monkey. My husband is waiting for me to start flinging my poop at him!

115 Jessica Moroz January 14, 2012

Just did one set of the workout and it is challenging, but motivating!! It is great to use this as a warm-up (wake-up call) in the morning and then some stretching after. I hope you continue to posts little workout tips like these! Thank you!

116 Dara January 14, 2012

Hi Angela,
This question is very off topic from your post but I am hoping that you can still help me out.
Ok, so, my parents just recently brought me trashbag full of fresh picked turnips (dirt still on and all). I have never had turnips before. So I washed them and cleaned them of their leaves (couldnt eat the greens because bugs had attacked them and they were no good). I made roasted turnips which were ok and I also made pickled turnips which I still have and are amazing! But after all this I still had a ton of turnips and I absolutely despise wasting food, especially homegrown parent-took-time-to-pick food. I decided to mash the turnips because I love mashed potatoes. Now, the consistency came out great but what I have trouble with is the taste.. the taste of turnips must be acquired. I found that I couldnt just dip a spoon into the mashed turnips and eat. So, I remembered reading about gnocchi (potato pasta) and I decided to try and do this with my mashed turnips in hopes of changing the flavor a bit. I modified a recipe I found, added some spices and a bit of flour. I rolled them into balls and baked them in the oven. These came out great; they look good and they stay in ball form HOWEVER, the taste is still very strong.
Now to my question.. I would like a vegan dumpling recipe, one I can add my turnip balls to. Do you know of one or have you made one that you recommend I use?

Thanks for reading and any help!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Hey Dara! Im sorry I don’t have one but it’s certainly on my list of things to make! I would check out Vegan Yum Yum.

118 Jess @ Jess Go Bananas January 15, 2012

NJ hasn’t had much snow yet either…I kind of miss it!! It isn’t winter without some snow!

119 Maria January 15, 2012

I am in a journey of re-discovering my body and feeding it healthy. Sometimes this journey is painful, but other times like today in fact, when everything clicks and I am so excited to be on it!

I am so blessed to have found your website. It is encouraging and inspirational and the recipes are just delicious. Thank you!

Maria

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Thank you Maria, all the best to you in 2012!

121 sandi January 15, 2012

I stumbled upon this website through pinterest and I feel compelled to thank you. I have just spent the last hour reading almost all of your recipes. I love to eat and I love to cook and now it will just be a matter of which recipe to start with. Thank you for taking the time to share. Everything looks beyond amazing.

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Aww you are too kind, thank you Sandi!

123 Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open January 15, 2012

That smoothie looks sooo delish! :)

124 Amanda / Bulldrogs and Bulldogs January 15, 2012

Love love love your blog! I just made your Vegan Chocolate Torte and we will be having it for desert tonight ;) I’m also just about to go do this workout you too! Love this kind of calorie burning!

125 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Thanks Amanda, let me know what you think of the torte!

126 Katie @ MsFitRunner January 15, 2012

Hi! I am soooooo excited I just found your blog!!! I am desperately trying to make the switch to completely vegan – and I’m almost there except for some seafood and figuring out the protein thing with all the running I do. I have been at a dead end with recipes – but at a glance, I can’t WAIT to dive in to some of yours! I have a husband and 3 little kids to feed, so it’s not always easy, but I like the challenge. sometimes:-) looking forward to reading MUCH more!! And your whole journey is amazing and inspiring!
~Katie

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 16, 2012

Thank you Katie!

128 Rachel Fransen January 15, 2012

Your blog is amazing! I love that you are mixing a healthy smoothie with a quick workout and sharing it with everyone. It’s so hard to find the motivation to work out when it’s cold outside, but a quick interval workout is a great way to warm up!!

129 Anastasia@healthmamainfo.com January 16, 2012

Love this type of smoothie and this workout description really inspired me!

130 Janice January 16, 2012

Thank you for reminding me that you don’t have to go to the gym to get a good workout in, especially one that has nothing to do with running! Unfortunately I had completely forgotten (or been brainwashed into thinking otherwise…)

131 Jeralyn January 18, 2012

This will be PERFECT for one of my clients I train. Thanks

132 Janou January 18, 2012

Hi Angela,
My roommate Dori and I love OSG! Whether its a new dinner idea or a quick green monster, we probably make one of your recipes every day! We’re planning Dori’s upcoming birthday and wanted to know if you have any favorite birthday celebration recipe ideas?
PS – LOVED the old school workout!

133 Caitlin McCauley January 18, 2012

Angela, I have been following you for quite some time and love your website, recipes and insights! I eat very similarly to you. I have a super random question. Where do you get the little spoons you so often use when eating a parfait or anything out of a mason jar? I have searched in some cooking stores, as small utensils are one of my weird quirky preferences, but have had no luck in finding anything similar to the ones you use. Any ideas? Thank you in advance :)

134 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 19, 2012

Hey Caitlin, I think most of them are from Crate and Barrel (“Dessert spoons” I think they call them or “Appetizer spoons”)

135 Caitlin McCauley January 26, 2012

Wonderful, thanks so much! Keep the good food coming :)

136 Kelly January 20, 2012

I did your ‘Old School Work Out’ last night. Sad to say I only made it through 2 complete sets, however I’m used to working out at 5 in the morning so come 7:30pm I don’t have much energy left. I was sitting around with not much to do, which is a rare thing, so I decided it was the perfect time to go downstairs & give your quick 35 minute work out a go…HOLY COW…it kicked my butt! And needless to say my calves today are killing me! Can’t wait to try it again – first thing in the morning though ; )

137 Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 20, 2012

Ahh yes, jump roping will always hold special memories to me…not to mention whiplashes on my ankles :P

138 Hello Sunshine August 17, 2012

Looks yummy. Healthy too!

139 Healthy Living December 25, 2012

Thanks for the recipe and the workout ideas. You and the smoothie look great!  I will definitely try this during these cold days I’m spending mostly at home.  Thanks again!

140 herbalife March 17, 2013

Great idea about doing exercises.I also want to try it.Sure it is a hard work but I think it is worth trying.

141 Cait April 17, 2013

where did you get that glass straw?! I’ve been looking for one exactly like that

142 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2013

Hi Cait, my glass straws are from a company called Glass Dharma love em!

143 Morgan Childs October 11, 2013

I absolutely love these smoothies! Thank you so much for posting!