Old School Total Body Workout

My theory is if I drink a lot of smoothies, spring will magically appear.

IMG 6158   Old School Total Body Workout

So far, outlook not good…(although today was the first dusting of snow we’ve had practically all winter!). This is why I haven’t changed my blog header to a winter theme yet…I need more snow!

IMG 1432   Old School Total Body Workout

This smoothie was made up of frozen blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries (~1 cup) along with almond milk (1.25 cups), chia seeds (2 tbsp), and half a frozen banana.

IMG 6162   Old School Total Body Workout

Followed by a frozen girl.

To warm up, I did this quick at-home power workout using a jump rope and my own body weight for resistance exercises. Kicking it old school!

I did 3 sets of the following exercises:

• 1 minute jumping jacks
  • 2 minutes jump rope
  • 15 lunges on each leg
  • 1 minute jump rope
  • 2 sets of 15 squats
  • 1 set of 15 push-ups (standard, kneeling, or combo)
  • 2 minutes jumping rope
  • 1 minute bicycle crunches

I did 3 sets and then some light stretching at the end. The workout took me 35 minutes and went by pretty quick! I also used this stopwatch timer on the internet too.

A few tips:

• Feel free to take rest breaks as needed
  • You will hate me for making the jump rope after the lunges (don’t say I didn’t warn you!)
  • Only got 10 minutes? Just do 1 set for a quick total body workout
  • Want to make it more challenging? Add some hand weights, water bottles, cans, etc
  • Want more cardio? Tack on a mile run before and/or after the workout
  • Feel free to change up the ab exercises at the end
  • Always consult a professional before beginning a new fitness regime

Rosy cheeks ensued! I love interval workouts.

IMG 1428   Old School Total Body Workout

You know, old school moves never get old…especially jumping rope! I don’t know how I used to do that for hours and hours as a child. Must have been all that penny candy I was stuffing my face with. Do you remember how much candy $1 used to buy? 100 PIECES. That $5 allowance went pretty far back in the day.

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 13, 2012

It’s always a good idea to go back to basics because chances are we haven’t done that stuff in a while and it will actually be challenging! Your smoothie looks great. We are just not having a winter over here so I’m actually starting to think it IS spring.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

we haven’t had much of a winter yet either…just clouds mostly!

Katie Zega January 13, 2012

I’m definitely going to try this today…I’ve fallen off the exercise wagon and need to get back on!! :P It’s funny how I miss exercising, but it’s so hard to get myself to do it! Thanks for the idea!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 13, 2012

Mmm, that looks delicious so says the hubby! I was just thinking yesterday “uh oh, she missed the winter header!” but now I know the theory behind that one. Clever girl. ;-) Enjoy the weekend Ms Rosy Cheeks!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 13, 2012

Great workout Ange! I love jump rope workouts, and if my office was big enough, I’d bring my rope to work and bust out some skipping right now! ;) On the smoothie front…. I also sat in my room shivering while slurping every last drop of my green monster this morning. They’re just too good to miss!

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 13, 2012

Awesome, thanks for the ideas! I don’t have a gym membership at the moment, but really want some variation and strength training, so this looks perfect.

Happy Friday!

~Emily~

Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

angela! there’s not been much of a winter here in NC, yet, and I cannot really complain because the winters can be super cold + no snow and that kinda = no fun! but you’ve got LOTS of snow up where you are, usually, right? are you near Calgary?! … I will be visiting Olds, Alberta and Three Hills this summer…is that like 2 hours north of where you are? I’m not really familiar with the area but I remember Alberta being beautiful!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I’m in Ontario, but yes Alberta is gorgeous! one of my fav places

Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

oh sheesh! i was WAY OFF!!!!!!!!!!!! today Jasper will take Canada Geography 101 .. do you speak French?! last the feat of looking like even more of a weirdo in my comments prevent me from knowing more about you :)

Linda Thomas January 13, 2012

Love the 35 minutes! Will try it today!
Have a great weekend!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 13, 2012

Since October’s ridiculous blizzard we haven’t gotten any snow either. Fingers crossed for a snowless winter! How amazing would that be in NY!?

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 13, 2012

That smoothie is gorgeous! I love how blackberries taste but I don’t like them in smoothies because the seeds are too big for me! I’ve been getting back into Jillian Michaels workout DVDs which are intervals of old school moves like the ones you did today. It’s a great workout for sure!

Ashley January 13, 2012

I am begging for more snow out here!! Reason 1 – snowboarding Reason 2 – the summer is going to be dry + on fire…come on snow! :) I haven’t had a smoothie in ages…brrr! That workout sounds spectacular!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 13, 2012

I’m doing so many more of these lately thanks to my recently acquired Body Rock addiction. Need to get the motivation to jump rope… great workout but my coordination is *ahem* lacking.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

hah mine is too! I keep slapping myself silly…man it hurts! I need a non-plastic rope.

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 13, 2012

jumping rope is SO HARD! so good for you though. and the results make it totally worthwhile.

it’s snowing here in chicago as well… i’m not a happy girl.

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 13, 2012

It’s hard to believe that we are still just in the start of winter because it really has been feeling like Spring lately!

Have you ever tried a SkipFit workout? The YMCA that I belong to has a couple of classes per week – it’s a 45 minute class and my calves burn for 2 days afterwards!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

No I havent but that sounds killer! Wish we had a YMCA around here. Now Im wondering if there are any skipping workouts online…. :)

Ashley Dodge January 13, 2012

We haven’t had any snow here in Reno, NV either! I’m quite afraid that soon, it’ll begin snowing like crazy… all the way into May, which happened a two years ago. It snowed the week of my May graduation from college- we were worried, but then the sun came out:) And then it snowed… in June. :/

Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

you live in Reno!!!??? that’s awesome, I lived there for two years you probably know some of the same people that I do (Reno is so small in that way!) now I am in Durham, NC … what’s Reno like these days!? One of the reasons I got so excited about OSG because I thought her “Home Reno” posts were because she lived in Reno! Then I felt like a real heel writing to Angela saying “You live in RENO!!” I know I’m weird…

that was cute :)

ali janine @ This Ninja Eats Broccoli January 13, 2012

Nice workout! We’ve been having a weird winter too out here in BC. It’s snowed a few times but so far hasn’t stuck and we’ve had SUN! It’s been amazing since our winters are usually so cloudy in the valley.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Oh that’s so nice you’ve had sun! I was saying to Eric yesterday that we’ve been having a typical BC winter! hah

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 13, 2012

my allowance was $5 too. I got a crapton of stuff for it!

Julia January 13, 2012

Ha, I’m also in love with smoothies, “old school moves” and intervalls right now!
Here in Germany, we also haven’t had much of a winter yet. Yesterday, it was more like an early spring day! last year, we had SO MUCH SNOW. Crazy weather…..

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes January 13, 2012

Great work out! I am actually jealous of even the dusting! I’m in Utah and it hasn’t snowed since like Thanksgiving. That smoothie looks amazingly delish!

VeggieGirl January 13, 2012

I’ve been drinking smoothies all winter because I cant get fresh berries and I need my antioxidant fix (with frozen berries in my smoothies) :)

katie@ KatieDid January 13, 2012

I love simple workouts like that. I’ve been doing some good old fashion body weight only workouts too and keeping things simple when I don’t feel like getting myself to the gym or its too cold out.

Emily@livingLongfellow January 13, 2012

The smoothie looks so refreshing! yumners!!

Jess @ Healthy 'n Hungry January 13, 2012

I was looking for a good workout to do just as I opened up this post! This was awesome and I could definitely feel my legs burning. It also took me around 35 minutes with some weights work at the end. It went by so fast though that it didn’t even feel like 35 minutes, which I love!! Thanks for posting this today – it came in just the nick of time :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

That’s great! Glad you liked it. :)

Christine January 13, 2012

Interval workouts rock! I did a similar at-home workout as part of a boot camp program after having my second child, and got great results. I love the short intervals because it keeps the workout interesting and the heart rate up. I used a resistance band sometimes which was also great. Can’t say I love skipping, so I generally opt for other cardio burst options. :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

ive heard great things about the resistance bands, should check those out sometime!

Stephanie W January 13, 2012

Hi Angela,

I don’t know if you have mentioned this before…but where did you get the really cool glass straws? Or maybe they are plastic…hard to tell. I would love to purchase some!

Steph

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Hey Steph, Thank you, they are from Glass D’harma. I loooove the x-tra thick one.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

ps- just make sure you rinse them with water immediately after using with smoothies or bad, bad things happen :)

Stephanie W January 13, 2012

Thanks so much! I am going to have to get a few! ;)

Jasper Naomi January 13, 2012

haha! Angela you crack me up!

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 13, 2012

Jumping rope is HARD work, great idea to work it into a home exercise routine! I want snow too, but I have a poor chance of it happening (other than the flurries this morning) down here in GA. Can’t wait until our vacation in March in Utah – they better have snow! =)

Lindsay January 13, 2012

It’s snowing where I live but luckily I’m in Hawaii! It’s not going to be fun when I go back but for some reason I keep thinking that warm weather is going to come March first – I know it’s not going to because it’s never warm in March… but a girl can dream. That smoothie looks amazing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I always think it’s spring after march, but really the warm weather doesn’t start til mid to end of may usually…ahhhh. Enjoy your trip!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life January 13, 2012

Oh I know, back in the day when we would just shove sugar down our throats without any thought of the consequences haha. What it’s like to be a kid.

Jump rope is SO HARD. I have to get one to get myself back into it because it really blitzes the calories and pushes your cardio ability like nothing else!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

I know, I remember eating huge bags of penny candy like it was air. heh

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 13, 2012

Great workout! For some reason I find at-home workouts like this one SO much more challenging than running. I guess what’s why I don’t do them very often. :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

haha yea they are hard to keep doing on a regular basis…I find writing down the workout helps sometimes!

Mina January 13, 2012

I know this is random and your deck’s been done for awhile, but it just looks so good! I guess seeing a picture of it covered in snow made me realize that you guys completed it and it looks amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Thanks Mina! Everytime I look at it, I’m in awe that he built it.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove January 13, 2012

I know it’s Winter and it’s cold outside (so I should probably be thinking about hot chocolate) but I can’t help but want to make this smoothie! It looks delicious!

Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 13, 2012

We had one big dump of snow earlier this year, but recently it’s just been plain old freezing cold. I’ll cross my fingers for your smoothie theory to work!

Also, I L.O.V.E.D. going to the penny candy store as a kid. I felt so rich!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

haha same! if only we could buy as much stuff for a dollar now…I get a similar feeling when I buy something at dollar store, but its not quite the same.

Amanda @ FancyOatmeal January 13, 2012

What a great circuit training workout! I am going to copy it for my workout tomorrow!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 13, 2012

I love at home circuit workouts when I’m pressed for time! That looks like a great mix of moves!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles January 13, 2012

Haha, I know what you mean! I’m in BC and we’ve had snow on the ground for like a week, months ago! I need more snow! But I’ll totally join you in drinking smoothies to bring on spring :D

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 13, 2012

love it! This is SO my kinda workout! Love the smoothie colour too! Looks great :)

Sunny January 13, 2012

smoothies are such a comfort food :) and you can pack so much in!! I’ve been tossing frozen cranberries into mine lately, no noticable taste difference but a big punch of vit c!!!

Antonia January 13, 2012

I really wished that that theory of yours would work. Been eating lots of fruit and drinking smoothies and it’s still winter over here. Can’t wait for a couple of sunny and warmer days!

Anna January 13, 2012

By the way, have you checked out the home workouts at http://www.bodyrock.tv? Interval stuff, some workouts with jump rope… I’d say that this one is my favorite at the moment: http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/11/28/it-will-rain-sweat-1000-rep-workout/

Here in Finland we don’t have much snow, at least not yet. Just rain and sleet and cold winds…

Stacey January 13, 2012

I have been soooo into smoothies lately and have started making green monsters as well and I LOVE them! I feel so energized on the days that I have them! Old school interval exercises also seem to be making quite the comeback lately, I think it’s because it is a simple and effective way to get in a workout and usually you can just do it at home which is great if you don’t want to go to the gym.
Wishing it was spring too,
Stacey

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

Glad you are enjoying the GM’s Stacey!

morgan January 13, 2012

love jump roping!
and swinging and monkey bars!

Page 1 of 3123»