Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

IMG 2294   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 6335   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 20101001IMG 3950   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 06341   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 20101120IMG 1224 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 1403 2 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 20101018IMG 7581   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 3527 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 0046   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 3766 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 2985 4   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 5597   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011  IMG 1161   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 7922   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011 IMG 4759   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

You knew it was coming!

This post was a lot of fun to put together. After compiling the most popular dessert recipes of 2011, here’s what I found:

You guys go crazy for:

• Anything NO BAKE!
  • Quick & easy
  • Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate
  • Chewy, crunchy things
  • Peanut butter AND chocolate
  • Short ingredient lists
  • Healthy blizzards (1, 2, and 3)
  • Bite-sized
  • Healthy “dessert-like” snacks (see end of post for list)
  • Cookie dough galore
  • Classic desserts made vegan
  • Balls, balls, balls

What kind of desserts did you love the most? Or maybe you want to let me know about a non-vegan dessert that you’d like to see “veganized” in 2012? Let me know in the comments below and I will add it to my list.

Here are the top 21 dessert recipes that you drooled over, indulged in, raved about, and baked (or didn’t bake) the most in 2011…

21. Peanut Butter and Jam Nanaimo Bars (a personal fav of mine & also no bake)

IMG 1190   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

20. Sinless Sticky Toffee Pecan Pudding

IMG 5593   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

19. 5-Ingredient Almond Butter Chews & Almond Butter Rice Crisp Treats (tied)

IMG 8364 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

18. 5-Ingredient No Bake Date Squares

IMG 3537   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

17. Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Spiced Doughnuts

IMG 0619 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

16. Rustic Chocolate Chip Banana Cake

IMG 063411   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

15. Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes with Raspberry Buttercream

IMG 2310   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

14. Brownie Pumpkin Pie with a Crunchy Pecan ToppingPumpkin Pie Brownie Cupcakes

20101002IMG 4102   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

13. Itty Bitty Carrot Cake Cookies

20101120IMG 1224 thumb1   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

12. Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies

IMG 1403 2 thumb1   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

11. Vegan and Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies- the crispers!

IMG 1995 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

10. No Bake Double Chocolate Torte

IMG 6961 2   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

9. Healthy Strawberry Oat Squares

20101018IMG 75811   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

8. Vegan Pumpkin Pie, three ways (with gluten-free crust option)

IMG 3766 thumb1   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

7. Dense, gooey, flakey Vegan Brownies, two ways (with killer gluten-free version!)

IMG 3527 thumb1   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

6. No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with “Fudge”

IMG 00461   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

5. 80-calorie No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

IMG 6334   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

4. Pumpkin Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream

20101001IMG 39501   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

3. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard

IMG 2985 41   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

2. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls

IMG 3029   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

1. Double Chocolate Torte (I would have to agree with the #1 pick, although I’m partial to the no bake version too)

IMG 4993 thumb   Top 21 Vegan Dessert Recipes of 2011

This torte photo was clearly before I learned how to white balance my photos…heh

If you are looking for a lighter treat, check out some of the healthier recipes below:

On that note, I see carrot cake cookies in my future…

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 5, 2012

The vegan chocolate chip cookies are definitely my favorite! Such a classic. I would love to make the pb and jam bars if I get brave in the kitchen! ;)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 5, 2012

Balls are a girl’s best friend ;) And, I’m serious on that, they’re always on hand in my fridge for quick snacks!

Kelli January 5, 2012

I have been dying to try the double chocolate torte! Do you think that other flours might work instead of the spelt flour? And would the arrowroot powder be replaceable by corn starch? I know for thickening sauces, etc., they are often interchangeable, but I’m not sure what the purpose of the arrowroot powder is in the crust, so I’m unsure of whether corn starch would work instead…?

Anyhoo, great list! Your website is so inspiring, Angela! Happy New Year, and keep those recipes comin’!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Happy New Year to you as well Kelli!
Yes I def. think cornstarch would work too! I believe it binds the crust, although I’d like to try it without at some point…
I assume another flour would work too, although you might have to reduce the amount a bit since spelt usually yields in a “wetter” batter. I wouldn’t use whole wheat flour though b/c I think it might be too dense and hearty. Whole wheat pastry flour would probably work.

Marisa Bare September 30, 2013

I used flour instead of arrow root, and it came out delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 5, 2012

No vegan oatmeal cookies? Those were my favorites! :) Next I am making those vegan, GF brownies.

People do like balls. 2 of my top 11 in 2011 were balls!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

the oatmeal cookies were quite high on the list too!

Amanda January 5, 2012

This is the post of my vegan dessert dreams! Is it too early to bake and eat cookies? 10am is okay, right?

I made your No Bake Peanut Butter Chocolate Crispies with “Fudge” earlier this year and they were outrageously good. I think I need to re-visit those…

Meaghan January 5, 2012

I completely agree with your list. Love balls. Love no bake. Love simple ingredients. What I’d love some help with in 2012 – snacks that can be taken to school (ie no nuts). The Boy is a teacher. What a pain in the butt Ontario schools are. They aren’t just peanut free anymore. They’re completely nut free. And since the Boy is supplying and doesn’t know if there will be a kid with an allergy in his class he’s super paranoid about it. So while I love the balls – thwy’re usually nut based and therefore not school friendly. Thoughts?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Thank you for the suggestion! I can imagine how difficult that would be. Can you use sunflower seeds or sunflower seed butter? I love using sunflower seed butter as a replacement in recipes that call for PB or almond butter.

Meaghan January 5, 2012

I think kids can’t because teachers can’t be sure of the difference. But I don’t see why he can’t as a teacher – its not like he’s sharing by the playground at recess! Hadn’t thought of using that in balls – I guess I know what I’m doing this weekend. Thanks! I’ll be sure to report on how it goes!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 5, 2012

You’ve officially got me drooling this morning Ange, and I’m not even that big on sweets!! All of these photos are so, SO gorgeous (cookbook worthy!!!) :D

Andrea @ Vegvacious January 5, 2012

I must say your rustic banana cake is #1 in my book however all of these look mouth-watering!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 5, 2012

My friend Sara brought the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls to a potluck that I had, and that’s what got me turned onto your blog! They were SUCH a hit!
All of these recipes look so delicious- I want to try to make the almond butter rice krisp treats using puffed Kamut.. I’m thinking it would work…

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

That’s so neat! Let me know how the puffed kamut works out if you try it.

Michelle Miller January 6, 2012

I’ve made them with puffed kamut! They turned out great.

Jenny September 17, 2012

I’ve made them with puffed kamut, as well as making them as written… Both versions were amazing! You might need a bit more puffed kamut to achieve an identical texture, though, just because puffed kamut tends to be more voluminous and doesn’t pack as much as crispy rice does when measuring it out in cups. :)

Laura @ My Pink Thumb January 5, 2012

Oh my! i completely forgot about the rustic banana oat cake. I made that SO many times last winter! I’m thinking it needs to make a return to my kitchen this weekend. ;)
I should also add, that after drooling for quite some time, I finally make your pumpking gingerbread with spiced buttercream for Christmas and it was a total hit!! My little 12 year old cousin ate about half of it by himself! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Glad to hear that Laura :)
I forgot about the banana cake too…Im going to try making it with caramelized bananas *dies*

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 5, 2012

I’m making the donuts this weekend to put my new donut pan to use! I can’t wait! Keep those babies coming. You rock!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Have fun with your new pan!

Shayna January 5, 2012

I made your pumpkin gingerbread with spiced buttercream twice over the holidays for two different parties and it was a big hit both times! My husband can’t stop raving about it.
Although the people I was serving it to are not vegan, they loved it and wanted the recipe because (1) it could serve as a delicious dessert for a family that keeps kosher (no mixing of milk and meat in the same meal) and (2) one of my friend’s sons is allergic to eggs. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Hey Shayna, Thanks for the great feedback about the loaf. We love it here too! Eric said it was one of his fav desserts last year as well.

Liz January 5, 2012

That no-bake Chocolate Torte has yet to be consumed by anyone outside our apartment! Probably because I stash it in the freezer and then it just gets gobbled up over time (OK . . 2-3 days) by my husband and I. He loves it! And loves that it’s all natural. He’s also asking for more granola and chocolate truffles. I think I am going to make the latter for some friends coming over for dinner next week. Please stop making yummy, healthy treats! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Im laughing because that sounds all too familiar…it doesn’t last long here. Its such an easy dessert to “pick at” from the freezer! I think I might try making it in cupcake tins for a fun change

anna January 5, 2012

i really like the banana cake!
and i’d live to see your veganized version of cheesecake. there lots of recipes on the internet, bit you’re a genius and im sure you’d make it evwn more special! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Thanks Anna, I will add it to my list :) I’ve been wanting to make one for a while…maybe I’ll put it in the cookbook

Jasper Naomi January 5, 2012

no bake 5 ingredient dates squares!!!!!!!!! Angela, you ASTOUND us all. You ASTOUND me. Blow this site a way, i tell ya. Funnily enough, edible perspective starred in my dream last night…it must be that spinach carob monster three hours before bed or something! ill have to go tell her!
on my way to work this morning, i wondered could we bake down blueberries like you baked down bananas for your homemade larabars?! This summer I picked, on five different occasions blueberries enough to freeze and give away 50 gallons of fresh organic blueberries for FREE this summer! sweet old farmer that lives nearby lets me pick them! he might even give me three gallons of fresh organic asparagus in march!!!!!!!!!!! yippee!
and for anyone still reading this silly comment of mine…there are still blueberries, frozen, for adding to yogurt and granola, etc…do you think with the turn of spring and summer you could develop a bar with blueberries for us?!

much love, jasper naomi

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Hi Jasper, Good question regarding the blueberries! I’m not sure if they would dry out as much as the bananas? It would be a fun experiment though. Goodluck!
A blueberry bar sounds fantastic. I will put it on my list!

Jasper Naomi January 5, 2012

sweet ;) no pun intended (or perhaps it was ;) )

Michelle@PeachyPalate January 5, 2012

The torte looks amazing! Do you edit the white balance now after shooting? It’s something I’m still getting my head around. Any advice would be much appreciated! I use the Canon EOS 1100D but I’m yet to invest in daylight lamps for taking shots in the evenings…bring on the summer! I thought I was over sweet treats after Christmas…now you’ve enlivened lots more cravings! :)

Hey Michelle!
I recently discovered a useful tool on my Canon DSLR. Took me….2 years to start using it? haha
There is a white balance right on the camera (just hit menu and it’s in the second list, 3rd one down…on my camera anyways). Click on white balance and then you can choose what setting you have in your area…if it’s cloudy outside, hit “cloudy”, if it’s sunny hit “daylight”, if you are in a restaurant with harsh yellow lighting, hit “tungsten” etc. I find these settings help a lot.

Post processing, if you have Adobe Lightroom, I also always do a white balance as well. Under the develop mode, hit “tools” and then “white balance selector”….now click on something in your image that should be a true white and it will auto balance it. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn’t. When in doubt just eye ball the white balance with the temperature setting.

Amber Shea @Almost Vegan January 5, 2012

Now THIS is the post I was waiting for. ;) One hell of a drool-inducing roundup!

katie@ KatieDid January 5, 2012

I personally love short ingredient lists. I get intimidated or shy away from ones that have too many ingredients.

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 5, 2012

Ahhhh now we’re talkin’ :) I could swim in an ocean of all of these combined with my mouth wiiiiide open! Thank you for always blessing us with FAB treats!

Have a great day!
xxoo

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

that just gave me a really funny visual ;)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles January 5, 2012

The year’s favorites all in one place – great idea! =)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 5, 2012

I love the recap and trip down memory lane. Ahhh, such good memories they are, too. I can’t wait to see what kind of amazing desserts you create in 2012…because these are awesome.

And your last comment about white balance…I honestly like really bright photos and all of mine are bright. It’s a preference thing but I love a good really bright picture! :)

your pics are beautiful!

Hilliary @Happily Ever Healthy January 5, 2012

I have been having serious cravings for anything gingerbread lately (your pumpkin gingerbread always looks delicious)! I secretly think I don’t want the holidays to end! All these recipes look delicious

Audrey January 5, 2012

What an amazing assortment of goodies! I love anything lemon–lemon cake with berries, lemon chiffon pie, and fruit-based desserts (strawberry shortcake, cherry pie, etc). I’d also love to see a vegan cheesecake…maybe a raspberry swirl one in time for Valentine’s Day? Regardless, I know whatever you make in the next year will be amazing! :)

Audrey January 5, 2012

P.S. I’d also love to see more oil-free and low-fat desserts. :) I just don’t feel good when I eat a lot of either.

Sharon July 19, 2013

My daughter and I are eating more non-fat vegan foods, and would love to see some of your recipes with less fat/oil, too — they seem terrific, however, reducing the oil intake is important for me. Thanks! :)

Kathryn January 5, 2012

Why do I even read your blog when I’m doing a 10 day juice cleanse? I’m a big fruit pie fan (I posted the apple pie apples on your FB page) so any kind of fruit pies make my heart happy. I used to love those home run pies I think they were called. Especially the lemon ones. SO AWFUL for you!

Ashley January 5, 2012

I made the double chocolate torte for Valentine’s Day last year and it was amazing! I made the rustic banana cake for a Sat morning breakfast, and I love the no bake cookies. This post is going right into my “good reads folder” for easy access:)

Fiona January 5, 2012

I love your balls! I like them bc they are easy and bite sized! Let’s see some more of your balls!

Greta January 5, 2012

That rustic chocolate chip banana cake was my favorite. It even froze and reheated well!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

oh good to know, thanks!

Tamara January 5, 2012

I had to seriously consider not looking at any of your dessert recipes anymore after I gained 10 pounds & would only eat the Pumpkin GingerBread with Spiced Icing (for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks & dessert!!!)
I love this recipe to death, love your site too !!!
T

JessE @ LoveLifeFromScratch January 5, 2012

I’d like to see more portable snack/treats; balls and bars. :D I just bookmarked half of these desserts to make soon! YUM!

Erin January 5, 2012

Whoa. I want all these things.

Beth January 5, 2012

I have made at least half of these. My favorite overall was the Sinless Sticky Toffee Pudding, but for everyday snacks I love the chocolate chip cookie dough balls. My post-race treat is the chocolate chip cookie dough blizzard! Keep up the good work!
By the way, I just bought a big 2-inch binder with dividers to put all of your recipes in that I’ve printed out. I don’t want them mixed in with the others so that I can find them quickly. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2012

Wow you’re on a roll! So glad that you enjoyed the recipes. I think Sticky Toffee Pudding is in my top 3 for sure. Hopefully I can give you a book so you dont have to use that binder someday ;)

julie January 5, 2012

best.post.ever.
Forget about new years resolutions to cut this stuff out….
mine will be to make it through the list and try them all!!! muahahaha!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 5, 2012

I made the strawberry bars this year and loved them. I’ve been waiting for the right occasion to make that brownie pumpkin pie, it looks incredible!

Emily (Edible Psychology) January 5, 2012

Oh my. I wish the pictures in this post were edible!

Your blog definitely contains the largest portion of my favorite desserts. Thanks so much for all of your creativity and hard work!

~Emily~

jo @ includingcake January 5, 2012

Mmmmm, these look so good. I really liked your toffee granola bar things (can’t remember their exact name), i’m planning on doing some granola bar testing over the next few weeks and i though about these as they inspired me. Your sticky toffee pudding also looks great, i’ve just made my own version with a couple of wacky ingredients thrown into the mix…. http://www.includingcake.com/2012/01/sticky-toffee-pudding.html

Amber K January 5, 2012

Oh, I totally remember those date squares. Disappeared like *snap* that in my house. So good!! Oh and the blizzards, my husband loved those.

Burnsy January 5, 2012

I don’t know why I torture myself looking through all your recipes when I am cleansing! On that note, I have plenty of baking to do in the near future! Thanks for sharing!!

VeggieGirl January 5, 2012

Carrot cake cookies sound AMAZING :D

Kaila @ HealthyHelper January 5, 2012

I thought the blizzard recipes were so creative!! Loved those this year (or rather last year!)! But my faves actually all fall on your “lighter” list…I love deserts that can double as healthy snacks!!

Page 1 of 3123»