Last Minute Protein Energy Bars & Creamy Holly Nog Smoothie

IMG_4728

It’s the day after the American Thanksgiving and I’m sure the last thing anyone wants is an energy bar.

However, it’s also Black Friday in the US and I figured maybe you could use some energy after all! There is very little that could pull me out of bed at midnight to enter long, cold line ups for hours on end, but these bars could just about do it.

I actually whipped up these bars because we’re leaving on a vacation tomorrow. I always like to bring some type of energy bar with me when I go away and stash a couple in my purse when we’re out walking around. If I find myself without any vegan options, I have a bar that will hold me over until my next meal.

IMG_4735

I’ve never made an energy bar quite like this before. I added protein powder to rev up the protein in these bars, making sure they would give me sustainable energy when out and about. I wasn’t really sure what they would taste like with 1/2 cup of protein powder, but I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome!

I made two batches, on the left, using 1/4 cup protein powder and on the right, using 1/2 cup protein powder.

IMG_4742 IMG_4810

The bars using 1/2 cup protein powder were a bit more dense and the batter was drier, but otherwise I didn’t notice much of a difference taste-wise. Eric tried the bar on the left and he said he couldn’t even detect the protein powder at all. My suggestion is to use a very mild-tasting protein powder. I loved using Garden of Life Brown Rice Protein Powder as it has a fairly neutral taste and it’s not sweetened. Just make sure whichever protein powder you use, it tastes good because you will taste it in the bars if it has an “off” flavour. Of course, you could also skip the protein powder all together if you prefer.

If you cut 10 bars out of the batch, each bar has about 8 grams of protein when using protein powder such as this one below (17 grams protein per scoop).

IMG_3809

These no-bake bars take just 5 minutes to throw together…love that.

IMG_4725

I added a very THIN layer of melted chocolate on top of the bars and then chilled them in the freezer for 10 mins.

IMG_4727

I also made these nut-free, using the amazing Sunbutter sunflower seed butter! I found it at Whole Foods and it’s almost an exact knock-off of Trader Joe’s sunflower seed butter (or maybe TJ’s is a knock-off of this stuff!). Either way, it’s amazing stuff. If you haven’t tried lightly sweetened sunflower seed butter, you really must. It’s ultra drippy and smooth.

IMG_4811

Feel free to use any kind of seed or nut butter you prefer, but if it’s not very drippy you will probably have to add a bit more syrup. I also tried the bars (batch #2) using almond butter and it was also good, but I still preferred the sunflower seed butter.

IMG_4796

IMG_4800

A couple weeks ago, I bought this new Holly Nog (vegan egg nog) that I picked up at Loblaws. It’s just 60 calories per serving and has a simple ingredient list. I’m really impressed by the flavour of this nog…it’s amazing! The only thing it’s lacking is a really creamy texture, but for 60 calories a serving I figured I could work with it to make it into the nog I dreamed it would be…

IMG_4383 IMG_4384

(click to enlarge)

I blended a half cup of Holly nog, 1/2 cup almond breeze, a frozen banana, nutmeg, and cinnamon and I was absolutely blown away by the outcome. It was exactly the texture I was looking for with the wonderful nog flavour that I love so much!

This is what a picture looks like when the drink is SO good, I can’t even wait to snap the photo!

IMG_4793

I can’t control myself around this stuff. A proper photoshoot will likely never happen. This is as good as it gets.

Oh wait, I just remembered I did take a photo of it a couple weeks ago! Here it is…before guzzling!

IMG_4484

Creamy Holly Nog Smoothie

Yield: 1 serving

• 1/2 cup Holly nog (or try coconut milk nog)
  • 1/2 cup almond breeze
  • 1 peeled and frozen banana
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon, or to taste

1. Blend and enjoy!

~~~

Updates:

In case some of you didn’t see all my crazy updates/messages/panic attack yesterday, I found a discrepancy in my gluten-free pie crust recipe (thanks to Jesica for letting me know!). I said to pre-bake the crust at 350F and 425F, when it should be 350F and NOT 425F. Please accept my apology! I felt so horrible all day yesterday. The recipe is now updated to reflect 350F. I will be quadruple-checking my recipes from now on…

I’ll be back this weekend with photo clues of where we are travelling…I’m excited to see if some of you will be able to guess it right away. I might have to make it challenging.

Up, up, and away…

1 Julie @ Shining From Within November 25, 2011

mmmm! love quick protein bar recipes.
i’m guessing you’re coming to the states ;)

2 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 25, 2011

These bars sound awesome Ange! I too have been experimenting with some protein bar recipes because I want to take some to Milan with me over Christmas, but I’ll add this one to my list as well. Happy travels and I can’t wait to see your trip photos!

3 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 25, 2011

The bars look awesome. Oats, chocolate, and sunflower seed butter…3 of my all-time faves! I love making bars, balls, bites and cookies :) with any of them. Your bars look great and firm enough to take as a travel-snack and like they’ll hold up which is great.

I hope you have safe travels and you’ve clearly got great snacks to munch on :)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Yea I think the protein powder does a great job at firming them up! :)

5 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 25, 2011

Having been shopping on Black Friday, I can tell you that shoppers NEED these bars. And that I will never shop on Black Friday again. :)

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

haha you are a trooper!! I wish I could have sent you some of these bars…

7 Lys November 25, 2011

These bars look so yummy! I’m still a little bit nervous about buying protein powder as it’s a bit of money for a tub/jar, but these bars are slowly convincing me it may not be so bad. :)

Do you have a preference between the Holly Nog and the So Delicious Nog? Is the Coconut one a bit too coconuty? I’m holding a holiday party next Friday and would love to try one of these brands out, but two friends of mine hate coconut so the So Delicious is making me double check. Thanks!

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

I actually haven’t tried the coconut one yet, but I’ve heard it’s really good!

9 Rachel November 25, 2011

The So Delicious definitely has a coconut undertone. I like it better than any of the other nog’s I’ve tried but if someone doesn’t like coconut they might not like it.
Might be interesting to give it to them without saying it has coconut (provided they are not allergic, of course) and see if they notice? lol

10 Maria @ Sinfully Nutritious December 12, 2011

It has a definite coconut flavor. It is delicious, but not quite as “noggy”.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 12, 2011

that was my perception too (I tried it while in NYC)

12 Cait's Plate November 25, 2011

Anything that has Sunbutter in it is A-OK by me! :) These look delicious Angela.

13 Morgan @ Life After Bagels November 25, 2011

I think I need to get some rice syrup … I’m such a maple syrup junkie but it’s true, my bars never stay together that well with it

14 MAURA November 25, 2011

Just wondered if anyone knows a good spot to get protein powder in New Brunswick? I have looked everywhere and the brand here is soooo expensive! Any ideas? Or any great spots online to order it that isn’t over the top in price? Thanks ladies!

15 Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner November 25, 2011

Ohh, wow.. I can’t WAIT to try those protein bars!! they look sooo good.

16 Amanda November 25, 2011

I’ve been on the lookout for a simple homemade protein bar recipe for my husband. I’m definitely going to give this a try!

I recently made a similar smoothie with some coconut milk nog, frozen banana, and pumpkin pie spice. It was wonderful! Here’s the recipe if you want to check it out:

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Mmm that looks amazing! :) Does the nog have a strong coconut flavour?

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen November 25, 2011

I refuse to do the Black Friday thing but these bars still sound good to me :) Have fun wherever it is you’re going!

19 Kalli November 25, 2011

These bars look so good. Thank you for the protein suggestion. Also Angela, do you think they would be good without the chocolate? After celebrating thanksgiving for over a week now I am feeling like I don’t need anymore chocolate! Have a wonderful trip wherever you are going!

20 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! November 25, 2011

YUM! Vegan nog sounds delicious! I wish I could find that around me!!!

21 Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count November 25, 2011

The bars look great. When you say “brown rice crisp” do you mean cereal? Thanks!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Yes I do…will add it to clarify thanks!

23 Lia November 25, 2011

You know, I ended up bprebaking it at 350 anyway, just cause I was doing 2 pies at once, so it was all good here, butthanks for correcting it. They were great!

24 Jen b November 25, 2011

Hi Angela
These look great, what could I sub for brown rice crisp??
I want to make these ASAP!
Thanks
Jen

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Hey Jen,

You can sub regular Rice crispies cereal or maybe some kind of puffed cereal like puffed millet?

26 Jessica November 25, 2011

OMG, these look so good. Might be worth bundling up my 6 month old and 3 year old to hit the store fort brown rice crisp cereal! Where is the picture of the new haircut???

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

I’ll post one soon! heh

28 Andrea November 25, 2011

These definately look like a good bar recipe! I just bought a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder, which is a powder I haven’t tried before. I am assuming it’s flavor might be too strong for these bars, but I’ll just have to wait until I try the powder out. :)

On another note, I made your recipe for the Pumpkin Butter Swirl Bread using butternut squash puree! I only made a couple changes (used all-purpose flour [I can’t find spelt flour in stores for the life of me], instead of using 1/2 c. of maple syrup, I used 1/4 c. and used 3/4 c. of sucanat] and the bread rose very well and tasted amaaaazing. I took it to my dad’s for Thanksgiving and secretly did NOT want to leave it there! I will be making that again for sure :)

29 Mary November 25, 2011

I am leaving for Loblaws immediately!

30 Corinne @ RI Nutrition Housecalls November 25, 2011

These bars look great! I love making my own no-bake bars- I don’t usually add the protein powder like you did though- nice idea. I’ve been experimenting with my recipe for awhile now and I’ve discovered the secret ingredient to making them stick together and firm up perfectly in the fridge is to coconut butter to the wet ingredients. Sooooo good! Check out my recipe at: http://rinutritionhousecalls.com/?p=131

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Oh man coconut butter is genius! I have never tried that, but will have to!

32 Tiffany@FindingK November 25, 2011

I love your blog! I have made a few of your recipes and they are delish. I just started a blog and hope it’s OK to link to you. Cheers!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Thank you Tiffany! Be my guest :)

34 Tiffany@FindingK November 25, 2011

Thank you! I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer at 32 yrs old so you’re vegan lifestyle is very interesting to me. I try to follow “clean” eating these days. I’m just starting my blog, but plan on expanding upon my experiences in this dept. Any advice is welcome. Cheers!
findingk.blogspot.com

35 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin November 25, 2011

I am obsessed with that sunflower seed butter! It tastes really amazing used in a savory stir fry sauce.

Also these bars look great! I’ve been wanting to buy some protein powder to make my own protein bars, since all the packaged ones contain nuts of some kind. I can’t wait to try these!

36 Katrina November 25, 2011

These bars sound lovely! I’m in Canada so energy bar posts are fine with me :)

37 Moni'sMeals November 25, 2011

These look like the best bars I have ever seen. I would do anything for one! PLEASE. :) Energy now, please….:)

I am eating left over pumpkin pie for breaksfast instead. Thanks for thinking of all of us. No Black Friday shopping for me….what a NIGHTMARE! YUCK! ;)

38 Robin November 25, 2011

Sooo Ange—I made the pumpkin gluten free pie with the 425 oven and. . . . it totally turned out! I did have to put the foil ring to keep it from burning, but it turned out great. Seriously! I loved that crust! Thank you:)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

I’m happy to hear that Robin!

40 Amber K November 25, 2011

Have a great trip! These bars look delicious. I’m still on the hunt for a protein powder that tastes amazing, but doesn’t have any freaky ingredients or items that upset my stomach.

41 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 25, 2011

I love how easy these bars look! I might make some this weekend just to add to the snacks we keep around the house. Yumm :)

I have to admit I never liked egg nog, so I’m not sure I would care for a dairy-free one. I might try it someday, and when I do I’ll be looking for this recipe! ‘Til then, I love my Christmas-y peppermint mochas :)

42 Jenny @ Simply Be...me November 25, 2011

I just discovered sun flower seed butter (Trader Joes brand) and I love it! So creamy and a nice change from peanut butter.

43 hannah alehandra November 25, 2011

Safe travels, Angela! The nog looks awesome hehe.xo http://hannahalehandra.blogspot.com/

44 laura November 25, 2011

I want me a holly nog smoothie! would be great with some chai too :)

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Oh that’s a great idea!

46 Kit-Kat November 25, 2011

I always loved egg nog before I found out I was lactose intolerant, and also before I became a vegan. Since then, I only add a dash of nutmeg to my soymilk to make a fake nog, or I drink Silk soynog during the holidays (only available during Christmas time).
And I LOVE protein energy bars/granola bars! Oh boy! And I love protein powder too! I use Shaklee protein powder, and that has a HUGE amount of protein per serving (31 grams for 3 tablespoons)…. and it’s vegan! I’m so totally going to make these! Thanks for the recipe! Most “energy bars” don’t have any more than 4 to 6 grams of protein.

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

I will have to check out that protein powder..I’ve never heard of it before. :)

48 Mary November 25, 2011

lol on the gluten-free pie crust recipe. I followed your instructions, but I always watch things pretty carefully when baking/cooking and I didn’t really think much about WHY my crust baked up so QUICKLY. They turned out great! thanks.

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Gulp….! I’m glad that you watched the crust. Sorry about the mix up!

50 Michelle November 25, 2011

Those look amazing! I’m craving chocolate now :)

51 Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles November 25, 2011

I always have a hard time with granola and oat bars since whether you bake them or not, they always seem to fall apart…so it’s good to hear that the protein powder gives them a little integrity!

52 jenna November 25, 2011

Afternoon Angela! I just finished using your recipe for protein bars pretty loosely. I doubled the oats, subbed rice kripspies, halved the liquid sweetener and used maple syrup instead, doubled the nut butter (but I used almond butter plus hot water) and added wheat germ and some nuts. I also made my own chocolate from cocoa powder and coconut oil. They are amazing! Thank you for the inspiration.

I’m not too sure where you’re located in the GTA, but there is a Rawlicious opening in Markham within a week or so if you find yourself in that neck of the woods.

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

Hey Jenna,

That’s cool I didn’t know another location was opening up for Rawlicious. I still have been meaning to try out the Yorkville location :)

Glad the bars worked for you…great add-ins!

54 Em November 25, 2011

Hi Angela! I just love your website! I check it ALL THE TIME. You’ve inspired me to be a vegan too (been vegetarian a yr and two months now). I even brought a vegan cherry pie to Thanksgiving dinner yesterday! :D Keep the posts coming.

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 25, 2011

mmm vegan cherry pie sounds amazing! Glad you are enjoying the blog :)

56 Lyndsey November 25, 2011

OMG I just made these and they are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!!! YUMM-O. I did not have brown rice crisp so I subbed some Fiber One cereal. Also, used honey instead of brown rice syrup. Sooooo good. Thanks for a great recipe! Definitely a keeper :)

57 Heather (Heather's Dish) November 25, 2011

ooooh, the holly nog smoothie is calling my name! so festive and it looks delicious!

58 suzanne November 25, 2011

These will be perfect for my kids! I have had the hardest time finding brown rice syrup – do you know of anything else that would work? Maybe I need to break down and order it online…
Can’t wait to try these! Thanks for the great idea!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2011

I find honey can work in replacement of BRS as it has the same consistency. Enjoy!

60 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 25, 2011

How cool! I need to try both of these recipes! Love :)

61 Rachel November 25, 2011

Try THIS: http://www.turtlemountain.com/products/product.php?p=so_delicious_beverage_qt_nog

Definitely very creamy and amazing!! (I actually do half this, half almond breeze and pop it in the microwave for 1.5 mins. It thins it out a little cause it’s pretty thick but it also makes it last longer)

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2011

mmm looks great!

63 Alaina November 25, 2011

I hope you have a great vacation!! Can’t wait to see your lovely pictures. :-)

64 Angie November 25, 2011

I just made these bars and they are incredible! Thanks Angela for another winning recipe! Have a safe and wonderful trip. :)

65 Allison J November 25, 2011

ARGH! That temperature discrepancy makes me feel like less of a failure better at least. I prebaked the pie crust at 425 and it did NOT turn out. The crust stuck pretty bad and was very dry and stuck to the pan by the time all was said and done. Maybe my family will be willing to try it out again and let me redeem myself. :) I’m just new to this whole vegan and gluten-free baking thing, (i.e. haven’t done many non dairy or even gluten-free baked goods) so if I had more of a knowledge base to work from, I might have been able to catch the crust in time like other readers seemed to.
On an unrelated note, I’m going to get the stuff to make these protein bars pronto! Nut-free gluten-free and vegan to boot! I’m sold!

66 Beth November 25, 2011

These bars look great! BTW, the pumpkin pie with the gluten-free crust was AMAZING! I just wanted that for my Thanksgiving dinner. It’s even better today. :)

67 Erika - The Teenage Taste November 25, 2011

Have a great trip, Angela! :-)

68 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts November 25, 2011

Ooh! We have Vitasoy in Australia! I will be crossing my fingers to see that nog drink :D Great energy bars too.

69 hilarydoubleu November 25, 2011

I just made these bars and sprinkled them with flaxseeds! Delightful! Angela, you NEVER disappoint! :) Thank you for another inspiring recipe.

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2011

Glad you like them Hilary!

71 Maggie November 25, 2011

I’m GTA as well and found the same sunbutter at Superstore!

Fun fact: when you bake with Sunbutter, it often turns green! Well, when you mix it with baking soda. I made monster cookies and by the second day, the outside of the cookie looked normal but they were bright green inside! They were great for work (I’m a teacher in a nut-free school).

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 26, 2011

Oh lucky girl, my grocery store doesnt carry it…maybe I should ask for it ;)
That’s funny about it turning green!

73 VeggieGirl November 25, 2011

thanks for letting us know about holly nog!

74 Hayley @ Oat Couture November 26, 2011

Have an amazing vacay!! :)

75 Becky November 26, 2011

You should try the coconut Nog made by So Delicious, it is just that!

76 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 26, 2011

Good morning! The egg nog smoothie looks delish!! When I was a kid I never liked egg nog, maybe I’ll give it another try? With all these holiday flavors, you just have to love this time of year!! Having your energy bars is a must too!!

77 Carlene November 26, 2011

Such a fan of the no bake recipes! My husband always loves those (especially the ones from this blog). Trying this with almond butter and maybe some dried cranberries mixed in.

78 Ellie@fitforthesoul November 26, 2011

Ohh I luuuuurrrrve Sunbutter SSB!! And TJs. I guess they’re all so delicious, and probably my faavorite kind of butters. And this looks like such a good recipe Angela! I want to make these right now and bring it to my fiance, but I don’t have brown rice syrup. I guess for now it’ll be a variation of his fave, Larabars. :P

79 Rachel November 26, 2011

definitely will have to look out for holly nog.. I tried to coconut milk nog which was delicious!

80 char @ char on a mission November 26, 2011

THANK YOU for posting this egg nog recipe because I totally picked this up at Zehrs the other day and on it’s own, it’s a little too much for me. I can only imagine how good the frozen banana would make it. Putting a banana in the freezer RIGHT now and doing this in the morning ;) You genius!!!

81 Michaela November 26, 2011

oh yummy! I have just recently bought TJ´s sunflower butter :)
Have a great vacation!

82 Kathy November 26, 2011

I just made these, and they are delectable!
Very nice; chewy and crunchy at the same time! Instead of sunflower seed butter (I can NEVER find that!) I used peanut butter and it worked like a charm!
Thanks for the recipe ^^

83 Kathleen November 27, 2011

Those are absolutely gorgeous! YUM!

84 Holly November 27, 2011

Just made these Protein bars! I subbed in Chocolate Whey Protein Powder (all we had in the pantry), and I made my own sunflower seed butter (just put roasted, UNSALTED sunflower seeds in the food processor till smooth). These turned out DELICIOUS! I also added in 1 TBSP of cocoa just to amp up the cocoa flavor. The husband had no clue there was chocolate in them, they are just GOOD! Looking forward to taking these bars to work (and to class!) this week! Thanks!

85 Suzanne Shores Chappell November 27, 2011

Angela,

These protein bars are amazing!! My husband rarely eats anything that he knows is vegan or healthy in any way…but he LOVES these!! Thanks for posting!!!

86 Sandy November 27, 2011

i am so making the nog thing!!

87 fanik November 28, 2011

I saw “flax egg” in some recipes. If I want to replace it with egg white, how many of them can be replaced with 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water)?? Thanks!

88 Annie November 28, 2011

These look great, but will the bars hold together just as well without the chocolate? I don’t really like the taste of chocolate by itself so would prefer to leave it out. By the way, literally every recipe I’ve tried from your website has come out perfectly the first time. Sometimes I’ve wanted to make a few flavour tweaks (like next time I’ll make the ultra fudgy brownies, brownies being the one place I do like chocolate, a bit sweeter) but they’ve always been fun to make, come out perfectly and liked by everyone who tries them.

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2011

Yes I think they would hold together fine :)

90 Laura November 28, 2011

Ahhh. No wonder the crust burned!!! It still tasted great, though:)

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 29, 2011

I’m sorry about that Laura!

92 Michelle November 28, 2011

Loved the holiday nog recipe!! I couldn’t believe how good the soy egg nog tasted especially with only 60 calories per cup. The shake was delicious and healthy, great job as always!

93 Barbara December 1, 2011

I made these and omitted the cinnamon and protein powder then I used peanut butter and added peanuts! It was to die for!!!!!!

94 Becca December 2, 2011

Just made a batch! Modifications: puffed millet cereal instead of rice, peanut butter instead of sunbutter, and three mashed bananas instead of brown rice syrup. Peanut butter, chocolate, and banana is an amazing combo. Thanks for the simple and adaptable recipe.

95 A-man-duh December 4, 2011

So delicious! I made a batch of these energy bars to take to Science Camp… I hope they make it until tomorrow when we leave!

96 Mrs. W December 11, 2011

Oh my gosh, that eggnog smoothie sounds SO GOOD! I hope they sell Holly Nog at my local store!

97 Catriona January 2, 2012

Wow! Great bars!!! Even my picky 10 y.o. loved them.
I used Nuts To You brand sunbutter, but it’s a bit thicker than the brand you used, I think I’ll hit SuperStore for the other brand next time. Worked out very well, with 1/4 c hemp powder. For the topping I used the 1/3 c chocolate chips with 1Tbs sunbutter melted in with it.
You didn’t state pan size? I used a 9×9 pan, and cut into 16 smallish squares.

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 3, 2012

I think I used both an 8″ one time and the next time a 9″, either is good! Glad you liked them!

99 Jyl January 12, 2012

Do you think home made jam would stick to these bars or is there a way to incorporate it into the recipe? I would love to make my own blueberry bliss luna bar.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2012

hmmm Maybe you could stir a bit of jam into the batter before spreading it into the pan?

101 Kathleen January 14, 2012

That looks SO good! :)

102 Stephanie De Gasperis January 17, 2012

Have been making the protein bars and they are hit!

I substituted Coconut Nectar for the brown rice syrup. http://www.naturalnews.com/030110_coconut_nectar_vinegar.html

It was a great binder and keep the bars super tasty. Coconut Nectar is a good low-glycemic alternative.

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe!

Stephanie

103 Julia August 12, 2012

Hi Angela,

Have been following your blog for some time now and it’s been awesome for getting my health back in order. I’m leaving for vacation soon and these bars would be a huge help to me particularly since I have difficulty maintaining my healthy eating habits when fresh fruits and veggies aren’t always attainable. I was just wondering, if I left out the protein powder (prefer to) would it be ok if I added shredded coconut, slivered almonds or sunflower seeds and chia seeds?

Thanks again!

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 13, 2012

I can’t see why not! Just make sure the batter doesn’t get too dry or it may not hold together. happy vacationing!

105 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife August 15, 2012

Yum – these look great! & I just picked up sunflower butter from Trader Joes today!! Love that stuff!

106 Vaishali August 25, 2012

Will these turn soft if they are kept at room temperature? I would like to make them for my son’s school snack?

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 26, 2012

I brought them on a trip with me and while they bent a bit in my bag, they stayed intact and were quite portable. Enjoy!

108 Amy September 1, 2012

Just made the bars (and ate one!) They are wonderful – thank you for the recipe!

109 Allison September 10, 2012

I made these last night, and they are so yummy! I used 1/4 cup protein powder, but next time I will try 1/2 cup. I cannot taste it at all, but I was worried that I would. These are so easy to make!

110 Jill October 24, 2012

Just made the bars and they are great! Didn’t use protein powder but instead subbed 1/4 C of Amazing Grass Green Superfood powder (the chocolate flavored one). Also used whatever cereal crumbs we had left at the bottom of the boxes, which ended up being a combination of bran flakes and Crispix. YUMMY! They wil be perfect for our road trip tomorrow. Thank you!

111 Sara December 7, 2012

These bars are so yummy!! My only criticism is that it’s extremely difficult to stop at one…they are too good. :) A friend of mine recently told me about your site when she raved about the “best” vegan burgers (they are…she didn’t lie to me), and I am addicted! Every recipe I have tried so far is badass.

112 Andrea January 4, 2013

I made the protein bars and they are fantastic! I added milled flax seed to the chocolate and roasted almonds to the top. Made them taste so good! Thank you for putting this information out there for people like me. My husband and I are new Vegans and we are already loving it. We didn’t eat a lot of meat any way.

113 Jessie June 5, 2013

What can you use instead of brown rice syrup?

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2013

I don’t know of a substitute, sorry!

115 Max Exter September 13, 2015

Just about anything, actually. I use a combination of honey and agave, but just about any syrup will do. Make would probably be great.

116 Jessie June 5, 2013

I made the bars with my daughter tonight. I used agave
and almond butter. The kids loved them and so did I! Thank you! I’m
hooked on your site after reading “Eat to Live”.

117 Allison June 12, 2013

I just tried these for the first time today and, I must say, they are ridiculously delicious. Thank you. :-)

118 Julie June 20, 2013

I got brown rice puffs not crisps by accident, will that work? And I have the raw vanilla powder, will that make it too sweet or odd tasting? I’m worried because I don’t want to waste any of the ingredients.

119 Mary July 28, 2013

Just discovered your site and made these bars- they are amazing! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes

120 Julie August 10, 2013

Just got back from the store and realized your recipe called for crisped rice cereal, I got puffed rice. Do you think it will be ok? I just don’t want to waste all the other ingredients. Thank you!

121 Naomi February 4, 2014

Hi Angela,

I LOVE these bars as do my two girls. They take them to school (thanks to being nut free!!) for recess and after school treats. Just wondering if I could freeze some after cutting them into bars? It would be great for those busy weeks to prep ahead a little.
Thanks, Naomi