Top 10 Recipes This Fall

IMG_4323

So how do I put this nicely……..biscotti season is going to be slightly delayed.

Well, this is a bit awkward now isn’t it.

The biscotti recipe that we fell in love with and made twice already turned into a dry piece of junk when I attempted to make it for the third time last night. I think I may have over-mixed the batter, but I can’t be sure. It was also a full moon so obviously it was out of my hands!

A random flop is why I always test my baked good recipes at least twice, if not 3 times before posting them. I don’t want you to have a recipe bust in your own kitchen!

Now be warned, I didn’t practice a lot of recipe testing in the early stages of the blog. I have no idea what the hell I posted in 2008 and 2009. I assume Tofurkey may have been involved and possibly some scary green monsters.

img_4358

A main feature in many grocery shopping posts.

Also…may I just ask what this Tofurkey is doing in my salad?

img_1492

Apparently I enjoyed it with Wolf Blass Yellow Label? I guess it wasn’t so bad after all. :)

img-7540

More Tofurkey.

I’d say my vegan recipe creativity has improved slightly since 2009.

Anyways, what’s a girl to do when evil forces are at play in her kitchen? She reminds herself of the good days, of course! Here are the top 10 recipes from the Fall season so far. These are the most clicked & commented recipes since September 1st.

Let’s hope I haven’t already hit my peak and it’s downhill from here…

Top 10 Recipes This Fall

6) Butternut Squash Mac n Cheeze

IMG_2422_thumb

5) Pumpkin Gingerbread Smoothie

IMG_3316

4) Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

20101005IMG_8998_thumb

3) Peanut Butter Chocolate Pillows thanks to Isa.

IMG_4115

2) Black Bean and Butternut Squash Burritos

IMG_3732

[one of our all time favs!]

…and the number 1 recipe since September (and of all time) goes to:

1) 15-Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta!

IMG_0200-3

Honourable mentions go to:

IMG_2210

I like the way you think.

I think we’d hit it off real well.

It’s now 5pm on a Friday and no one is reading this. Better late than never right?

Page 2 of 2«12
Lea November 15, 2011

Hi again Angela,

Took the leftover avocado pasta out of the freezer last night for supper. It was great!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 15, 2011

Oh that’s good to know it freezes ok. Did you just freeze the sauce?

Lea November 14, 2011

As an avocado lover, and with all the comments about the 15 minute avocado pasta ( I went back to your original post, I had to try it. OMG!! who needs alfredo??!!. I also wanted to mention the I put some in the fridge for the next day and it tasted just fine and I also put some in the freezer for another day. That day will come soon…
Thanx again for another keeper, Angela

Cindy Robinson November 14, 2011

I’m so glad to see the Creamy Roasted Tomato Garlic Soup made it in the honorable mentions. I loved this soup, and plan on making it again this week. I’ve got a huge loaf of focaccia that will make fantastic croutons!

Emma (Emma+Jacob) November 14, 2011

I am seriously in love with the Lightened Up Protein Power Goddess Bowl! It has become one of my staple dishes here at home, especially when I need something in a hurry – I make a big batch good for a couple of days and I’m good to go! Thank you for this!

Awww we don’t have tofurkey here!

Ann-Mari November 13, 2011

Wow! These pictures are amazing and so inspirational. I really want to make biscotti! Does it work with pistachios? The peanut butter pillows look amazing :)

Michaela November 13, 2011

ur husband is soooooo lucky!!
I love all ur recipes!

Carly November 13, 2011

oops i meant to add such wonderful posts & recipes!

Carly November 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try the 15 minute avocado pasta! i’ve been eyeing it for a long time and i definitely need to make it this week.

thanks as always for such wonderful posts

kristen November 12, 2011

Thanks for the recipes! I have been vegetarian for over 15 years, and have been trying to incorporate more vegan food. A few of these look so good, I must try!!

Anna @ The Guiltless Life November 12, 2011

I’m reading! And I have your butternut squash mac’n’cheeze on my meals list for this month! I’m trying out gluten-free for a month so I can’t wait to give this a go.

Also I made your roasted tomato basil pesto and it was yummmm! I love biscotti – I make mine with agave so over time it isn’t quite as crunchy but it’s still super good. Any chance you’ll post a gluten-free version? I’d love to try that out during my gluten-free experiment!

Karri November 12, 2011

Thank you for graduating from Tofurkey (yuck)!
Your black bean squash burritos are ahhhh-mazing. My kids gobbled them up and my husband had several :) I cannot wait to make more of your recipes! (i’ve made several already and we’ve loved all!!!)

Rebecca November 12, 2011

Pumpkin smoothies are amazing! I really want to make my own pumpkin butter this year. Just need to find the time and motivation, could your pumpkin butter recipe be made in the crockpot?

Carolina November 12, 2011

Yum! I especially loved the roasted tomAto, onion and garlic soup…I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen and using my boyfriend as my little lab rat, and when I made this soup he just said…ok. Now you’ve outdone yourself, this is too much! Lol! I made sure to give all credits to Angela though, of course ;)
Angela, I want to make the pumpkin butter, but I’m wondering if other types of sweeteners would work, rather than sugar… Like maple syrup or agave. What do you think?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

I like to use Sucanat in replacement of sugar and it works great. I haven’t tried using a liquid sweetener. I’m not sure if it would make it too liquidy or if it would cook down? I wonder if there is a recipe online using maple syrup or agave. It might be worth checking out to see if anyone else has done it!

Ricki November 13, 2011

I did a pumpkin butter a couple of years ago with agave (recipe on my blog), so I can attest that it works. :) I loved your trip down tofurkey lane, too! I always shudder when I look at my early blog posts. I’m happy to say I’ve already tried many of these recipes (I loved the avo spaghetti, like everyone else). Looking forward to the day when I can eat those cookies again!

Emily @ The Divine Carrot November 12, 2011

I vote for the detox salad – YUM! That’s been my favorite of your recipes!!

hippierunner November 12, 2011

Your chocolate chip cookies are the best ever! Everyone lovessss it when I bake those! Thank you for a non-muffiny vegan cookie! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Thanks for your feedback! It only took me….2 years to come up with a non muffiny vegan cookie lol

Melissa November 12, 2011

I make (bake?) the chocolate chip cookies at least once a week. Ok, twice a week. I think I am living on them. I think I need cookie detox!!!! And the Butternut Squash Mac n’ Cheese is to die for (along with everything else!)!!!!! I am have been obsessing over your vegan gravy for the last 2 days……I think I need to make some to keep in the fridge for the week :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat November 12, 2011

Your Goddess Bowl is just the bomb. I make it often. I make it for everyone who comes to dinner. I make double batches so I have leftovers. I make the dressing and put it on everything. Yes, I’m obsessed with this recipe :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

I’m happy to hear that! Do you make the lightened up version or the original?

Kelly November 12, 2011

Yay! :) I love your recipes! When they are all in the same place like this I love them even more :) I actually have a binder in the kitchen with all my printed recipes from your blog. My husband asked me the other day why I won’t just buy your cookbook!
Ahem…poke, poke ;)

Melissa November 12, 2011

I have a binder too!!!! Let’s keep our fingers crossed that we have cookbook next year!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

haha that’s cute! I wish I was that organized….I stuff all my printed recipes into the drawers in my kitchen. It looks like a bomb went off!

Moni'sMeals November 12, 2011

I would be SOOOO happy with any of these dishes AND your so-called dry,crumbly biscotti!

Send it my way Angela!

Have a great day!

Jessy (squeezetheday) November 12, 2011

That Roasted Tomato Basil Pesto looks super delicious! Is it important to use roma tomatoes or would any type of tomatoes do?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

I haven’t tried it with other types, but I assume most would work. Each variety would change the flavour slightly of course.

Andrea @ Vegvacious November 12, 2011

I like the way you think! I have made most of the recipes off your list and they are amazing! You are the absolute best when it comes to vegan comfort food :-D

Ashleigh @ www.simplehonestreal.com November 12, 2011

Everything you make is so impressive! I want to make every single recipe!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 12, 2011

I love your round up! Everything looks so good, but I have my eye on the Pumpkin Gingerbread smoothie!! That sounds like a good breakfast!!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes November 12, 2011

All of them are fab :D

Heather November 12, 2011

“Let’s hope I haven’t already hit my peak and it’s downhill from here…”

I HIGHLY DOUBT THIS IS TRUE. As in, it’s not true. You’re amazing. :-)

Alex November 12, 2011

Great choices! A question about the chcoc chip cookie…..have u ever tried any GF flours or coconut oil instead of the butter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Alex, I actually happen to have a GF cookie recipe based off of that one :)

enjoy!

Kristie Clark November 12, 2011

I love your site! what kind of blender do you use? What tools do you have that you feel you could not live without?

I use a Vitamix :)
I also read in consumer reports that the $40 Oster blender was rated #2, so that is a good option if you dont want a vitamix.

My most used kitchen tools are found in this post :) http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/10/my-most-used-kitchen-tools/

LizAshlee November 12, 2011

Yum…all of the photos look so wonderful…how to choose…I guess we’ll start by meals..I’ll go with the smoothie first! :)

Katrina November 12, 2011

Sooo many yummy recipes! Great round up!

Char @ www.charskitchen.ca November 12, 2011

haha, I’ve made 4 out of 10 of your most popular recipes…some of them multiple times! My boyfriend and I both love everything I make from your blog.

Sometimes I think back to old posts & shudder…lol. I debate deleting them, but it doesn’t seem authentic. It’s who I was and what I enjoyed then, and I’ve found new tastes to enjoy now :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Yea that’s how I see it too!

Amber Lynn November 12, 2011

I just read the blog article you linked to about green monsters and it made me think of something that I thought to ask you.

Do you ever put fat in them? I often make smoothies with fresh spinach and fruit, and now I include either an avocado or a decent amount of coconut (milk or oil works). Some vitamins in fruits and veggies are fat-soluble. If not eaten with fats, you miss out on the nutrients. I started doing that and lately I feel a lot better, like I’m getting more from them. I stick to monounsaturated and saturated fats as polyunsaturated omega-6 fats are inflammatory.

Vitamin K, which is best gotten from eating leafy greens, is fat-soluble. So, even when I’m eating salad, I try to make sure it’s at least tossed with olive oil or something. My hair and nails seem to be better for it. I’ve always taken a vitamin D supplement but never felt like I benefited from it until now that combine it with a full avocado each day :D

I just wanted to share that little energizing bit of information if you didn’t already know it :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Amber, Does nut butter count? I usually add a tbsp of it to my “classic” green monsters. I have had frozen avocado before and it was quite good! Thanks for the reminder :)

Amber Lynn November 12, 2011

Oh yes! Nut butter is loaded with fat. My favourite nut butter to add to green smoothies is macadamia as it seems pretty flavourless. Also, it has almost no omega 6 in it! I use almond butter occasionally, too :D

Azra November 12, 2011

Hi Angela,
As always I loved your post, you are just so talented. Yesterday I made your vegan brownies and they were definitely a success. My next challenge are your chocolate chip cookies. However I cannot find Earth balance here (I currently live in Jerusalem) and I was wondering if I could substitute it with something else. I am not vegan, but I do try to avoid dairy products. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Azra, I have seen a couple dairy-free butter replacers on the shelves- I believe Becel makes a vegan one now. I would check the labels of things to see if maybe there is one that is “vegan by mistake”. Aside from that, I would say you’d have to use a light tasting oil instead of the butter. The outcome will be crispier though and you’d likely have to reduce the oil since it’s so liquid-y.

Alexander November 12, 2011

Darn! I was going to ask you this when I commented earlier but I forgot. That avocado pasta? Does it taste avocado-y? Because I don’t like avocados.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Yea I would say it does taste fairly avocado-y :)

Kait November 11, 2011

1) I’m hungry again!
2) Your green monster post led to your “A Year Can Change a Lot” series and I found myself crying. I’m basically there right now except I listened to my gut when it came to schools (I turned down the only 1 of 21 med schools that accepted me because I knew I would be miserable there). Otherwise though, I feel you: I no longer take pleasure out of my (psych research) job due to a LOT of the reasons you mentioned (*coughmassagingdatacough*) and I am in the process of starting my own business. I so SO wish you lived in the States so I could pick your brain about the latter because there’s no $$$ to hire a lawyer and most of my mentors are already “there.” Thank you, as always, for your honesty and willingness to share the good, the bad, and the ugly. <3

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Kait, I’m sorry to hear about your career struggles! Keep the faith & you will figure it out. It may not be as quickly as you’d like to, but the fact that you are questioning what will make you happy tells me that you WILL find it.

Alexander November 11, 2011

Alright, I’m asking you this here because the protein power goddess bowl recipe’s comments are closed.
I got offered a job as a supplementary instructor at my college next semester which is great but I wouldn’t be able to eat from 11:00am when I arrived at my math class until 3:00pm when I got home because I only have about 5 minutes (that would be spent getting from the math class to the anthropology classroom) between the end of class and the beginning of work. That is huge because I normally eat every two and a half hours or so if I can. I was looking for recipes that will hold me over for long enough so I can see what I like and figure out how to make stuff in case I get the job.
So, this might be a dumb question but, protein is the stuff that gives you energy for a while right? So you’d want to eat it if you knew you wouldn’t be getting to eat anything for a while?

Jessy (squeezetheday) November 12, 2011

I hope you don’t mind butting me in – yes, the protein (and fat!) takes longer to digest, so they keep your hunger away longer. You could also eat some nuts during those 5 min breaks.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Alexander, I find a nice balance of protein, fat, and whole grain carbs works the best for me when I have to go long period without food. I would probably have a bit more protein than usual too. The goddess bowl would work great, and I’d probably add some whole grain bread and fruit to the meal.
Also is it possible to bring along an energy bar to class? I used to do that for my 3 hour classes when I had to leave for work right after. Goodluck!

Gypsy November 11, 2011

How come I can’t access your salt-kissed pb chocolate chip cookie recipe anymore? There’s a link that leads to the post, but no recipe. It’s such a good one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2011

Hey Gypsy! I removed that recipe after trying it out again and not being very happy with it. Sorry about that!

Lynda @ Healthy Hoboken Girl November 11, 2011

Thank you for all your beautiful posts…you are one of the first blogs I read daily!

I just ordered the Vegan Cookie Cookbook, you mentioned with the chocolate peanut butter pillows…I’m dying to make them, and her whole wheat fig bars. They both look wonderful. I host an annual holiday cookie exchange, so I’m testing out ideas!

Thanks for all your inspiration…enjoy the full moon and the weekend!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 11, 2011

These “list” posts are my favorite – so many great ideas!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga November 11, 2011

This is impressive, appreciated, and wow, can I come help with your leftovers:
“I always test my baked good recipes at least twice, if not 3 times before posting them. I don’t want you to have a recipe bust in your own kitchen! ” <— thank you!

I wish I knew which recipes of mine were viewed the most on my site…somehow I need to dig deeper into my WP stats or my google analytics b/c for now, it's only a guesstimate.

Every thing you made looks amazing…and yes, we all grow as bloggers and evolve as people. As bloggers there just happens to be a record of it all for the whole world and all our nearest and dearest friends to read all about our previous adventures :)

Caroline @ Out of Liney November 11, 2011

Such a great summary! I took the plunge and went vegan… yesterday (!) so this is bookmarked as a key reference page

Sierra November 12, 2011

Yay! Go Caroline! It’s not as hard as everyone thinks it will be….just think of all that you can eat! I definitely have broadened my culinary horizons since I did. :)

Congrats!