Seeing the Positive in a Negative Situation

IMG_72632

If there’s one thing that unites us all, it’s that we all suffer. We all triumph. We face obstacles in our lives and encounter things that throw us off our course and challenge our inner strength. That’s life, with the lesson often seen in retrospect. Without the difficult times, there would be no great times. Everything would just seem flat and uneventful, plain and boring.

There would be no impactful change without struggle. The beauty of life is overcoming what we think we cannot. Our self-esteem grows and we find strength in ourselves that we never knew existed.

This very point had me thinking about various struggles that I’ve been through in my life. I remember focusing mostly on the negative aspects of the situation. How badly I felt, how crappy the situation was, and how much I didn’t think things would ever change. Blah, blah, blah. It’s a vicious cycle.

But what if we focus on how our struggles change us and our lives for the better?

Would it be possible to improve negative situations, if we thought about how we might benefit from them?

When I was unhappy with my research career, all I could think about was how much I screwed up my life. I went to university for 7 years training as a researcher only to discover that I basically loathed it. So many days I would curse myself for making such a huge mistake in my life and going down the wrong path.

My negative thoughts were so powerful, I almost convinced myself that it was better to just live the rest of my life unfulfilled than face the alternative (change). I told myself that I could do what I wanted when I retired. I was 25 years old at the time!

That’s when I realized that I could rot in my own negativity or I could see things in a different light. Instead of cursing myself and “mistakes” (I’d rather call them “learning experiences”), I searched for lessons and meaning.

What was my unhappiness trying to tell me?

How was this discomfort nudging me to make a change in my life?

Without taking the wrong career path, I wouldn’t have found the happiness I have with my career today. I started this blog as a hobby while I worked as a researcher. It was something I could work on during my own free time and it brought me so much happiness that I spent most of my free time working on it. What started as a distraction from my real life became the thing that gave me life.

Little did I know, this hobby would not only serve as the catalyst for eventually leaving my unfulfilling career and starting my own business, but it would also lead me to discover my real passions in life.

Most surprisingly of all, I now see struggles in a new light. Instead of cursing an uncomfortable time, I see it as a message to change. Whether I listen or not is up to me.

~~~~

Previous Daily Glow posts: What is Daily Glow?, Graduation Fears, The Silly Things We Say, Do What You Can…Today, What’s Your 6-Word Love Story?, Without Self-Love, I Have Nothing., Unbearable Lightness: A Story of Loss and Gain, Kicking the Pop Habit: Eric 1 Year Later, Weekend Inspiration

1 Sara October 18, 2011

It’s so true that change needs a catalyst. More often than not that catalyst is something negative forcing us to react. It’s difficult to see in the face of negativity that a new door is opening, but it always does. We have to listen to our intuition and demand more for ourselves. It’s never too late. Great post!

2 Ashley October 18, 2011

Such a beautiful message– I understand being there and feeling like I’ve gone down the wrong path. I realized during my senior year of college that the path I’d chosen wasn’t necessarily the path I ever wanted to pursue, and I felt ashamed. But about a year ago today, I made a leap to quit my job, and work from home doing something I’ve completely fallen in love with. It allows me to focus on what I love most.
This was very uplifting to read- it seems so easy to focus on the negative, and so hard to think about the positive. But even though it’s hard work, it will pay off!
Have a great day!

3 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove October 18, 2011

It’s so true. Sometimes we just need something to push us in the right direction. What a great post – and so motivational that we, too, can do what will make us happy!

4 Faith @ For the Health of It October 18, 2011

You have no idea how perfectly timed this post was, Angela. I’ve been struggling with a less-than-ideal situation myself and it’s been so much focus on the negative that I’ve forgotten how to appreciate the good things about my situation. That has led to so much stress and I’ve found myself growing more and more uptight, almost to the point where its wrecking my relationships. It’s really ugly, and I know that I HAVE to change it – NOW. I’ll take a good look at what my unhappiness is trying to tell me. Hopefully that will help me smooth things over and correct the issues that are causing me all of this stress. Thank you again for your always-inspirational posts!

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 18, 2011

So beautifully written. I’m graduating college soon and struggling with the typical worries that plague people having to actually enter the real world. I’m lucky in that I’m going to grad school–so at least I have some sort of plan, but it’s still nerve wracking. This is exactly what I needed to read this morning! Thank you for sharing!

6 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 18, 2011

It’s all about listening, that’s so true! I just wrote a post over the weekend about living a fullfilled life and doing what is best for us, regardless of the fear of change.
This came from a decision I’d made recently – booking a 3 week trip to India… by myself. This is not something I would have ever ever thought of doing even a year ago, but I listened, and this is what came up. So regardless of how scared I was, I pushed forward.

7 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 18, 2011

Good timing! My boss and I just decided yesterday that we are only going to frame things in a positive light from now on. Too much negativity males the days longer and it is certainly contagious!

8 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 18, 2011

I’m in that moment of negativity right now with my job. A job that started out being something I loved, due to business changes and growth, is turning into something I dislike immensely.

I’ve been doing a lot of soul searching about what the next steps should be. I know a move is in order – thinking San Francisco or elsewhere on the west coast – and a change of career is looming large. But the big question is “what do I do instead of what I’m doing now?”

I’ve been lucky throughout my life; when faced with insurmountable changes, things eventually work out for the better and I’m a stronger person for the struggle.

Great post, Ange!

9 Britt @runwithbritt October 18, 2011

Thank you so so much for this post. I’ve recently hit a rough patch in my life and I’ve been feeling very pessimistic. This is just what I needed to get me thru the day. Thanks again so much!

10 Whitney October 18, 2011

This is so beautiful, Angela. And just the right time, too. I’m facing similar thoughts so often about how I SCREWED UP and chose the wrong path… I’m so unhappy with my current job… but I want to change. I’m trying to remember the old adage that “everything happens for a reason” and that I am meant to be where I am today, in order to lead me to where I’ll eventually be. This afternoon, I’m speaking with an admissions rep to get enrolled to go back to school and be certified as a health coach. I spend so much of my time (enjoying!) focusing on my health and wanting to help others, this finally seems like the right path. But it’s a scary leap into the unknown. Seeing other young 20-somethings out there like yourself really inspires me to believe I CAN run my own business and be happy. I don’t need to settle.

Thank you!

11 Beth - Tasty Yummies October 18, 2011

What a wonderful post and I agree with you. The exact same thought-process is how I came to be exactly where I am now. I had a job I was very unhappy with before I decided I wanted to work for myself, I actually look back at that miserable job with so much fondness now that I have moved on to much bigger and better things. It was an incredible stepping stone that has allowed me to see what I do and don’t want for my life, both professionally and personally. I try to look at every experience that way now. It is inevitable that we sometimes are faced with unfavorable situations and sometimes that negativity can creep back into our lives without us even seeing it. It is how we handle ourselves in those situations that really shapes us and allows us to not only move on, but to grow.
This post couldn’t come at a better time. It is such a great reminder for me. Personally right now I am trying to find the positive in severely injuring my back over 2 weeks ago. Beyond the pain, it has caused me to have to take a break from my daily yoga practice and it has definitely affected my mood. Last week I decided that I have to look at it as a blessing that it happened now and that I will be able to not only heal and bounce back, but I will also learn what I can do in my yoga practice to strengthen my back (and my entire body really) to ensure it doesn’t happen again. I now realize I am lucky that it is happening now when I am still young, so I can hopefully keep it from happening again when I am older and unable to bounce back.

12 Sarah October 18, 2011

One of the lessons I picked up along the way when I was going through some mah-jah infertility/loss struggles was that if we’re still going through the hard time, chances are we still have a lesson to learn. That gave me a great new perspective, even if the situation hadn’t changed. It at least gave some purpose to the suffering and that’s exactly what you’ve identified. You are well on your way to positive :)

13 Alex October 18, 2011

Thank u very much for these words. I’m trying to go on after being told by my boyfriend, that he doesn’t know if he wants to continue our relationship.
We’re going to give it a try, but I’m sooooooo scared!

14 Cara @ EAT. PRAY. RUN. October 18, 2011

You are so inspirational to so many for literally chasing your dreams AND catching them. I definitely feel the desire to persue my true passions and am currently dabbling in the details. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

15 Lys October 18, 2011

Wonderfully written. I’m in a rut right now too, also in research, wondering where I should go in my life. But thank you for sharing your experience, as I think I’ll keep writing, seeing where that takes me, and if I truly can’t see myself at my job next year, I may also take the leap in doing something new. I’m off to a later start than you (30, gah!) but I hope that with time, what I love will preservere and I can become one of the (what seems like the) few that can make this into something ‘real.’ Thanks for always being so refreshingly honest in your posts!

16 Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 18, 2011

Unhappiness is the strongest motivation for change that I know – if I’m not happy I immediately think ‘what can I do to be happy again’ ?

17 tweal October 18, 2011

Great post Angela. I feel much the same way as you – I spent many years working as a hair stylist, and when I got bored of that, I became a holistic nutritionist. Within a few months I realized it was not the career for me, and I felt terrible about it. Why did I leave hair for something I don’t even like doing and can’t seem to get paid for?? I wallowed in self pity for a while, unsure of what to do next and scared to make a change for fear I would fail (as I felt I did with nutrition). Then one day I began sewing again just for fun, and it took off from there. I now know that if I’d never become a nutritionist, I would not have tweal or be where I am today. I couldn’t connect the dots as they were coming to me, but looking back, I definitely see them.

Life sure does work in mysterious ways, doesn’t it?? :)

18 Emily October 18, 2011

Great post!

I love reading your insights on topics like this. You are a true inspiration! Keep up the great work.

19 Julie @ Shining From Within October 18, 2011

I needed to hear this today <3

20 Jenny @ Simply Be...me October 18, 2011

This is wonderful. My husband says the same thing to me a lot and often wonders why I choose to be stressed out when I don’t have to be. I don’t know why but I’m working on it! I love these posts just as much as your recipes.

21 Michelle October 18, 2011

First off Angela, I’d like to thank you for this blog. Your recipes are amazing and inspiring. I’ve introduced a number of my friends to your site and we all love it!
This topic is similar to something that my husband wrote in his blog today. Circumstances beyond our control sometimes cause us to change the direction in our lives… often with positive consequences!

22 Cait's Plate October 18, 2011

LOVED this post and I absolutely couldn’t agree more with what you said here!

23 Char @ www.charskitchen.ca October 18, 2011

Beautiful message! Though it’s definitely hard sometimes to find the good in a bad situation, it’s always easy to look back & see what wonderful event came of it. I really believe that everything happens for a reason, & I couldn’t be happier with everything I’ve been blessed with :)

Have a beautiful day, Angela!

24 Sara October 18, 2011

I was just talking to my best friend about this last night. How I feel like I screwed myself over, going 6 years of schooling for engineering to find out that I really dont like the jobs that it has to offer me! Thank you for reinstating hope in the future that I might one day find something that I love to do, and that I’m not trapped. Because I am 24 right now, and I was thinking the same thing you were thinking!

25 AGS October 18, 2011

Very true. I’m trying to practise a combination of patience and forward thinking in my current situation. I find that talking with others who have gone/are going through a difficult situation (but are also staying positive with a plan of attack) is really useful. It’s one of the reasons I enjoy reading your blog!

26 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 18, 2011

Amazing post! I definetly needed to read something like this today :)

27 Amanda October 18, 2011

I can really relate to this post, having recently left my 9-5 to pursue freelance work and writing (via my blog). I was very unhappy for a couple of years in my career and I’m not one of those people who can compartmentalize things, so it took a big toll on all aspects of my life. It took me a solid year to figure out what I could do to create a happier life, and moving all the way across the country to push myself out of my comfort zone and realize what truly matters to me.

It’s a slow process figuring out what’s next and determining how I’ll get there, but the biggest thing I realized this year is that I don’t have to have everything figured out. Rather than letting fear of the unknown paralyze me, I can take small steps every day to create a more fulfilling career, relationship, etc. I’m getting there. :)

28 Brandina October 18, 2011

You have totally hit it head on with this post. One of the most difficult (and traumatic) experiences of my life resulted in years of recovery time, but once I did, I learned the most important lesson of all. I could continue on feeling sorry for myself and wallowing in my misery over my reluctance to simply accept what had happened, or I could do just that, accept what happened and move forward. I chose the latter, but it took almost 10 years for me to reach that point. Now, when I do tell the story, it always ends with my admission of learning the most valuable lessons of my life because of it. The saying “every cloud has a silver lining” is true, but you have to be willing to see it.

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2011

I’m so happy to hear that you’ve chosen to move forward despite your struggles, and I’m sure, sharing your story with others is part of the healing process.

30 Cheryl October 18, 2011

Thanks for the inspirational post Angela, I too needed to read that today. It can be so hard to be positive amongst the bad times but that is when it is more vital than ever. Finding myself in a new job that I dislike, just like the previous god-knows-how-many office jobs I’ve hated I know I’m going to have to dig deep for the positives and get myself through this into a better situation.

Well done for trusting yourself enough to go for what you wanted, and for allowing yourself to leave behind the things that you knew were making you miserable, I hope I can do the same! x

31 Kris | iheartwellness.com October 18, 2011

I couldn’t agree more with you doll!! I think you set a path for a lot of other women who are struggling like you once were and you can show them how you can live a passion~ful, purposeful life!! We all deserve it! That is a lot of the struggle…we don’t believe we deserve it…but we do :)

xxoo

32 Lindsay @ biking before bed October 18, 2011

I think one of the main reasons I was drawn to blogging was finding people who had similar experiences and could help me grow as a person. This was just the post I needed to read today. I struggled to stay focused at work this morning in my job that I don’t love. I am actively pursuing other options, but sometimes its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for reminding me to take one step at a time and focus on all of the positives that will come out of every situation.

33 lindsay October 18, 2011

amen to that! we can look back at our struggles and see how far we’ve come, the strength we found through it, and the people who NEVER LET US GO! I am grateful for that as well.

34 Ann @ Running With Chopstix October 18, 2011

I love Daily Glow posts! I’m always inspired by how you can make the most of any situation.

35 Bethany :0) October 18, 2011

Another well-timed post during a difficult time in my career (and by extension personal) life as well. I think I know what I need to do (feelings of crisis ebb and flow at random), but in order to not burn bridges and save some money before my transition, I’m stuck in a job that no longer feeds me. This past week I’ve forgotten to stay focused on the positive as I’ve sunk deeper into boredom and the black hole of feeling like I’m wasting my time and life. Thank you so much for the reminder to refocus on the growth that is blossoming from the challenges. You’re absolutely right and such an inspriration!

36 cityjess84 October 18, 2011

Thanks for posting this Angela! Like many of the other women who have commented, I’m in a similar situation at a job I really don’t like. I’m applying to graduate school in something I really love, but it’s hard to stay positive and patient while I’m taking small steps to change things. Your post reminded me of a quote that a few friends have posted on facebook:

“View your life With Kindsight. Stop beating yourself up about things from your past. Instead of slapping your forehead and asking: ‘What was I thinking?’ breathe and ask yourself ‘What was I learning?'” – notsalmon.com

37 VeggieGirl October 18, 2011

Thank you for such a real/positive post! I didnt have the money/lived in the wrong countries to go to college and had to wait until I was 24. I felt bad in one way- but in another I’m blessed as who KNOWs what I would have thought to study at 18- something my parents would have asked me to for sure!

38 Tichina October 18, 2011

I’ve been wishing and waiting for another “daily glow series”. I’m sure that while blogging about such topics are therapeutic for you and help you zone in on your growth as a reader they have a major uplifting effect…one that can’t be beat! Seeing the progress another person has made is sometimes the best kind of medicine. I look forward to reading more Angela :)

39 Amber K October 18, 2011

You have such a great grasp on this Angela. I sometimes falter in my ability to look on the bright side in general, but the positive in a negative? That’s even tougher. You inspire me to stretch my mind and soul. <–sounds cheesy, but it's true!

40 Rebecca October 18, 2011

Thank you for your inspirational words Angela! I’m struggling after recently receiving excruciating news – I read your blog everyday, and today I found hope and comfort in your words at a time when I need them most. Thank you.

I also found Cheryl’s comment uplifting; thanks Cheryl.
“I think one of the best side effects of positive thinking is the increase in self belief that it gives us – when we see we can get ourselves through the tough times, it shows our true strength and ability to take on more than we ever thought.”

41 Anna @ the Guiltless Life October 18, 2011

I used to be really negative too as I have a lot of anxiety and it just created all of this negativity. Then I realized that I really liked spending time with people who were super positive and realized that it was infectious! So then I started deliberately changing every negative thought into a positive one; even if it seemed stupid. Now I generally find that my first instinct is to think positively rather than negatively.

It takes time to retrain our brains but it’s so worth it! All of a sudden your life will turn and you’ll realize you controlled your happiness all along! Thanks for the post Angela, I’m so glad you’re doing what you love to do :).

42 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 18, 2011

Beautiful words and a precious lesson for all of us to learn or ponder. Thanks for continuing to share your journey!

43 Sukee October 18, 2011

Lovely post! It brings to mind a favorite saying: with every obstacle comes an opportunity. The trick is in finding the opportunity and acting on it…

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2011

I love that saying too!

45 Rachel October 18, 2011

Thank-you for this! “The beauty of life is overcoming what we think we cannot.” – So profound!

I’m sitting in my office (at a job I’m so unhappy at), tears welling up… I’m at that point in my life right now, and having to make change. It’s so scary right now, but hearing you have gone through that and come out happy gives me hope!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Goodluck Rachel…hugs!

47 Kathryn October 18, 2011

You would be a great yoga teacher. I plan to share this message tonight when I teach.

48 Louisa @ La Petite Veg October 18, 2011

You always seem to post things like this EXACTLY when I need to be reminded of them! Self-compassion, Anxiety, Negativity… you name it. I’ve recently had a hard time staying positive even though I’m in an amazing place and lucky to have an amazing opportunity, and this post reminds me that the choice to be negative about something is my own. Thank you for your wisdom!

49 bitt October 18, 2011

thanks for this. i’ve recently been in a really really tough situation and sometimes it has to get really awful for me to find that inner resilience that I know is there. sometimes you just can’t change a situation, but you can find ways to make it better or change your mindset.

50 Caroline October 18, 2011

Hey Angela,
Have you ever read the book “The Missing Piece” by Shel Silverstein? This post reminded me a lot of the overall message of that short story. Also, this quote by Anne Roiphe sums it up perfectly, “”This fable can also be interpreted to mean that no one should try to find all the answers, no one should hope to fill all the holes in themselves, achieve total transcendental harmony or psychic order because a person without a search, loose ends, internal conflicts and external goals becomes too smooth to enjoy or know what’s going on. Too much satisfaction blocks exchange with the outside.” We have to make mistakes to appreciate successes. I remind myself of this ALL the time.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2011

I haven’t but it sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation! I love that quote.

52 gia October 18, 2011

Yep, and the moments that are really a struggle, seem to really lead to the opposite; empowerment and wisdom. Is that the beauty of life? I think it is one of the main components.

53 Olya October 18, 2011

It is truly beautiful.

54 Rachael @ FreshlyMinted October 18, 2011

So. True.

Sometimes the smallest things bring us the most joy and fulfillment. It is good to like what you are becoming : )

55 Wendy Irene October 18, 2011

This post is so inspirational Angela! A bright spot in the day. Thank you for sharing your positive light on a tough situation.

56 Danielle October 18, 2011

So true – and very important to keep in mind!! You are quite the inspiration :)

57 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 18, 2011

Angela, it sounds like you went through exactly what I’m going through now. I’m in my second year of a research PhD and I despise it. I’m currently gearing up to tell my professor I’m leaving at the end of the year. So scary! Thanks for the reminder to look for the positives in the situation :)

58 Nora October 18, 2011

Perfect timing! I’m currently going through some struggles in my life, so thank you for this post. Very well-put. I need to remember that things can get better, as long as I learn from my mistakes and continue to grow. Hopefully I can keep this in mind!

59 Kelly October 18, 2011

I definitely agree with looking for the positive in difficult situations but I also believe in giving yourself the permission to feel whatever emotions are coming to you at a particular moment in time. I think before you can move on and see the good in something you have to acknowledge how you feel. I think too many times people try to bottle up emotions rather than acknowledging them and it can make things worse. It’s okay to not feel great all the time.

Also, I think it’s important to acknowledge the benefit of hindsight. I think often it’s easy to look back and see how things that seemed terrible at the time really helped us grow in a positive way, but it’s much more challenging to acknowledge it in the moment.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 18, 2011

That’s such a great point!

61 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 18, 2011

I am so happy for you that you are now on the life path that feels better, right, and makes you…happier!

Silver lining, blessings in disguise…sometimes at the time things feel so wrong and that everything is such a struggle but in your case, the struggles led to something great…and in the process you’ve reached millions!! of other people via your blog and no doubt helped them with your recipes, ideas, and thoughts :)

62 Christina October 18, 2011

So true! I love your post Angela. Sometimes I’m so unsatisfied with my “job” but then there are other times that I’m happy it’s allowed me to do other things. I’m so back and forth with it. I’ve actually decided to change my career path (or at least try to) after I get married in 7 months. I figured I’d wait so I don’t have to add extra stress to wedding planning ;)

63 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond October 18, 2011

Absolutely love your post. I recently quit my job and started my own business. I have been wanting to do that for a couple of years now, but was scared of the risks it involved. Finally, eight months ago I made the decision, and now I am one happy person. I love what I am doing now and it gives me immense satisfaction.

64 kaity October 18, 2011

love your post! everythings so true!

btw random ? but do you know any good zucchini bread recipes but a savory kind? like onion and all that stuff in it, ive been on a mission to find out and i try so many and just always missin something different ugh

65 Moni'sMeals October 18, 2011

Fantastic post and amazing points. Light always out shines the dark… always!! It just does not seem like it at the time always.

(I loved your oprah quotes last week from FB.) :) :) :)

66 Lauren October 18, 2011

I wonder if there was something to trigger this post…just interested ;)

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Yes actually! I’m helping a friend with this right now.

68 Stacey October 18, 2011

This post could not have come at a better time. Thank you.

69 Krissy October 18, 2011

Love, you have no idea how relevant this post is in my life right now – you inspire me every day and I feel so lucky to have you in my life! xo

70 Meg October 18, 2011

This is great. So inspirational and definitely relatable.

71 Catherine October 18, 2011

I very much appreciate the honesty you always give your readers. I, too, just went through a tough work situation and everyone was telling me how strong I was going to be when I came out on the other end. But in the middle, it was very hard to believe! Only now can I see it.

Thank you for this.

72 Emily@Perfection Isn't Happy October 18, 2011

I really needed to read this today. I just wrote a post about my struggles with entering life after college. I’m not 100% happy working a 9-5 desk job, but I love coming home to my blog. I’m just trying to figure everything out, and I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s going through it :).

73 Nellie October 18, 2011

This is an amazing post, so happy you found your joy. We all have to go through the bad to get tot he good, and even get back to the bad again, the key is we keep living along the way!

74 Christina October 18, 2011

Love this inspiring post! So glad you have found something that makes you happy and make you feel fulfilled :)

75 suzanne October 18, 2011

That our difficult times are to be learned from and grow from ..SO true Angela! I see it as our soul’s way of telling us we are ready for the next step…our energy is ready for the next level of enlightenment. It is so inspiring to see you doing just this …and sharing your path so generously with so many. Thank you for that.

76 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel October 18, 2011

holy this is exactly what i needed to read- i just finished having a 30 minute convo with my mom about how unhappy i am with the prospect of having to go back to school for 6 more years just to get a degree in something i am not sure i even want! i just want to be happy doing something more creative, something more inspiring, so that i dont have to spend each day saying to myself, “why am i doing this again?”

wow amazing post love! thank you for sharing your own story <3

xoxo <3

77 Nicole October 18, 2011

You’re so awesome. This is exactly what I needed to see today!

78 olivia October 18, 2011

angela, your post today was exactly what i needed. i’ve been in mental misery for days as a result of bad choices that led to bad consequences. as i sat in this gloomy, self-loathing spot, i started to slowly realize that i could really learn from this mistake, and all my others that were essentially the same. i could get to the root of my unhappiness, discover alternate ways to cope with my anxiety and lack of self esteem, and turn my behavior around. it’s extremely difficult to look at myself and realize how much change needs to happen, but it’s also incredibly rewarding. i feel more empowered and i have a vision again. thank you for this post, your positivity, your food ideas, and your overall glow. you’re a great reminder of what manifesting can do and what a force positive intention has. THANK YOU.

79 lyndsay abbas October 18, 2011

i feel like you are speaking directly to me. a close relative was diagnosed with breast cancer a year ago and found out yesterday that it has spread. it is very difficult to deal with, but it is important to hold your head high and to LEARN all that you can. you are amazing, angela. i check your blog every morning. this post couldn’t have come at a better time for me.

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I’m sorry to hear that Lyndsay, but I love your spirit. I know you will come out on top! You sound like such a strong woman and inspiration to many!

81 Kait October 18, 2011

We must have been on the same page today as my entire post was about changing paths! I wrote this earlier:

“Like many of us, I run from that which I’m afraid of and do everything in my power to prevent pain. But over the course of the past year and a half […] I’ve started to learn how to be comfortable with pain. How to, dare I say it, embrace the pain without judgement. Its not always easy and Universe knows I don’t always succeed but I am trying.”

Thank you for continuing to be an inspiration and voice of hope. :)

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

I love what you wrote about embracing it…that’s a great way to look at it! Sometimes it’s ok to just let it be, whatever that feeling is.

83 Kait October 19, 2011

Thanks! Its not always easy but I’ve found it makes things easier in the long term…if that makes any sense!

84 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie October 19, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing this! What great advice to remember! I think I’m so scared of making a mistake all the time, I definitely need to be open to life’s experiences more!

85 Heather October 19, 2011

What a gorgeous post, Angela! It’s so true. You’re so inspirational and give me much hope. Thank you!

I’m graduating with a food and nutrition degree in May, and I can’t wait to increase my blogging efforts, become a licensed nutritionist, and get my career started! Blogging has given me an outlet like no other…a platform to share my story of ED struggle in hopes of helping other women and men see the light at the end of the tunnel (hopefully with plant-based food involved! ;-).

86 Sara October 19, 2011

I have been following your blog for some time now however this is my first time commenting. I love your blog! It truly inspires me to strive for a healthy lifestyle.
I was reading Chatelaine last night and I just wanted to CONGRATULATE you on making the women of the year list! Way to go! Amazing!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

aww thank you so much!! I just saw it last night too.

88 judee@glutenfreeA-Z Blog October 19, 2011

Angela,
I am an avid reader of your blog and LOVE it.
I don’t ususally leave a comment because there are so many, but I just had to share how inspriational and uplifting you are. Love your vegan recipes as well..

Judee

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Thank you Judee, that means a lot to me!

90 tania October 19, 2011

Angela, thank you.
you are such an inspriation to so many women.
i grew up in the southern italian culture, where it is the norm to view everything in life as pessimistic. Change was considered a scary and evil thing, and the status quo, no matter how bad, was always accepted.
I am truly grateful for parents who did not fit this typical norm, though i am surrounded by this negativity from both my husbands and mines extended family. It is difficult to deal with, though all i can focus on is me and my own mindset. I thank you for such beautiful words, i truly believe what your write is true. I have faced my father going through cancer three months before my wedding day and not knowing if he would be alive to walk me down the aisle. I have watched my dear brothers marriage break up, and i had a serious medical scare recently which forced me to stop trying for a baby for a year and left me with excessive weight to lose. This has all happened in such a short time span, But, i never give up hope. I know that difficulties happen for a reason. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. For expressing this in such a poignant post.

91 LizAshlee October 19, 2011

Message to change…I love this line…very powerful post…couldn’t agree more!

92 Jill @ A Cook's Nook October 19, 2011

Thank you for posting this well thought out and poingnant piece. One of my favorite expressions is: this too shall pass. Opportunity and hapiness can often come as a result of your darkest lows, which you will get through because you have to. It’s often difficult to see a “mistake” as what it is; a cue to redirect and change things for the better. Sometimes you just need a little nudging to see things that way.

Again thanks for the post! I love your blog & can identify with so many of your stories. I wish had known there were people like you out there 7 years ago!

93 Brooke October 19, 2011

This was an awesome post! I think about the challenges (I refuse to say any of this was negative) that has happened in my life – my father leaving my mom when I was 3 and not contacting my sisters or me, my drug addicted brother, my mother struggling with money, my high blood pressure and struggles with weight – and I find myself NOT wanting to change any of it. All of these things have brought me to this exact moment in my life. They have made me who I am. As much as I would like to change people or things outside myself, it never happens. The more I try to change others, the less they listen. There are things we can change, but the things we cannot change, we change our reactions to them. Loved this post!

94 Laura October 19, 2011

Thanks for another great post!
Daily glow are so inspiring, makes me rethink my choices in life and reevaluate where I want to be.

95 Dalai Lina October 19, 2011

You wrote that perfectly. I completely agree with you – any negative feeling is giving us a message!

96 Burnsy October 19, 2011

There must be something in the air because I was going to be doing a post on my blog about focusing on the positive. There comes a time when you can wallow in the challenges that life deals out on an all-too regular basis or make a stand and do what you can to make the best of it. My son has ADHD which has made life a struggle daily. I first came to your blog as I was reasearching food in attempt to help minimize or even possibly eliminate his disability. I have found for him that food does indeed play a role, but he has required more help than that. I love your blog and hope that as I experiment with more of your recipes you wouldn’t mind if I post my favorites on my blog. I am so glad that you have accomplished all you have and found happiness in your blog. It is so great that what brings you happiness, also helps and brings others happiness as well. Happy Autumn!

97 Jessica October 19, 2011

Great post Angela. your words are inspiring more bravery to take charge and go for it rather than llive with career misery. thank you!

98 Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 19, 2011

I have been battling some of the same things. Thank you so much for this post.

99 Nicole October 19, 2011

Hi Angela,

I’ve been reading for a while, and always loved your posts on how you changed your life. I definitely agree that you can’t afford to wait to be happy or to do the things you love. But- I have to say, I took engineering in school, and halfway through my second year, I realized I didn’t like it. I am working now, and while I don’t hate what I am doing, I don’t love it either. I got lucky with an amazing company and great co-workers though. However, if I hadn’t been so lucky, I couldn’t afford to go back to school and change, and I definitely couldn’t afford to quit. The reason I stuck with it after my second year was that I could do internships that paid well, and allowed me to pay for school and the medical bills I had then (and still have).

I am single, so I have no second income to fall back on. I love your message- but I think it is important to note that a change like yours isn’t always possible. Sometimes we have to work with what we have. There is an book by Marcus Buckingham I am reading called “Now, discover your strengths”. It is all about learning how to use your strengths and passions in your current job. It has examples of people who are unhappy with their jobs, and learn how to take on different roles that appeal to their strengths.

I just think that advocating such a drastic change without offering other more accessible options could be alienating for readers who don’t have the financial freedom to quit their current jobs to do what they love.

100 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Thanks for your comment Nicole. I do think that working with what you have is certainly an option. All the power to you if you can make it work! That is admirable.
I did not intend to alienate anyone by sharing my story, but I can see how it may have come across that way. Thanks for your feedback.

101 Sush Gollapudi October 19, 2011

At the moment, it feels like anything and everything has gone wrong, and I am looking to get back on my feet again and find my spirit and happiness once more. Your post pushes me in the right direction, so thank you.

102 Zestful Lou October 19, 2011

I’m having trouble with this today. Tears…and lots of them.

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2011

Sorry to hear that Lou. Never forget how awesome you are, ok?

104 Lillian October 19, 2011

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this post. I’ve been in a similar situation to the one you were in all those years ago, and today was a day when I needed to hear this exact message. It made me feel a gazillion times better. :)

105 Jackie October 19, 2011

I love this post. A great reminder…any day…everyday. Thank you.

106 Anja October 20, 2011

I love your post. I am in a quite similar situation as you were. I started my own blog about two months ago and it helps me to keep my spirits high since I look around me with different eyes. Your post is like a mirror for me. Thanks!

107 Casey Thomas October 20, 2011

This is such a great and spot on post. Suffering does unite us (as does love I believe) and it gives us some powerful learning opportunities. I had head to toe bloody, debilitating, nightmare ecxema that caused me an incredible amount of suffering but I know see it as a gift to me. The suffering led me to health myself naturally after a decade worth of trying and now I help people all around the world to improve their health dramatically, feel amazing and be confident and love themselves. This only became my work because of the suffering I went through. It was a blessing (albeit a painful one!).
Thanks for sharing Angela.

108 Lindsey @ Cardio Pizza October 20, 2011

What a thoughtful post, and I can definitely relate (and I’m sure many others can too)

You have such a way with words and I really enjoy when you do these types of posts!

109 Michaela October 20, 2011

that was a wonderful post!
people should more often stop for a second and ask themselves these questions.

110 Becca @ Peace, Love & Bagels October 21, 2011

what an awesome post! You are basically echoing the Dalai Lama’s words from his book “The Art of Happiness”. I definitely think it’s about time to reevaluate my life and make more room for the things that I love to do!

111 Jonathan October 22, 2011

Growing up, I would always hear my mother say, “It’s always darkest before the sun rises.” And it seemed strange and annoying that she would tell me this all the time. But after reforming my diet 4 years ago and experiencing the drastic difference in my physical, mental, and spiritual being, the meaning behind that saying became so profound to me.

We all have light, and we all have darkness. Both are there to help us value the other. And through that, we have a better capacity to feel compassion, not only for ourselves, but for the world and the people around us.

112 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 23, 2011

Great post!

Hey Angela – I have been wanting to order globars, but the site says they are all sold out. Any idea of when there will be more for sale?

113 Vanessa Leininger November 23, 2015