Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

IMG 3387 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

I know, I know quit it with the pumpkin recipes already! It’s inadvertently turned into Pumpkin Week. I promise to lay off pumpkin after this.

Wait, no I don’t. Who do you think I am here? I can’t make any promises when it comes to pumpkin. I can only promise that I fell in love with this pumpkin pudding and I think you will too. I’ve made it 3 times already and it’s strangely addictive.

I don’t know why, but I haven’t made chia pudding since 2009 or early 2010. I guess I didn’t like it as much as I thought. I think the problem with my original attempt was that I made it too slimy. It was too heavy on the chia seeds (slim factor) and too light on filler ingredients.

IMG 3388 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

Last week while I was busy screwing up perfectly good pumpkin pies with avocado, I decided that I really want to eat an entire bowl of pumpkin pie filling. You know, normal thoughts. If you’ve made the Pumpkin Pie Brownie you probably know how delicious the pumpkin filling is! I could live off that stuff. Or I wish I could live of that stuff.

20101002IMG 3991 thumb1   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

My goal was to make a pumpkin-based pudding made with chia seeds. I envisioned it very similar to my Vegan Overnight Oats, only without the oats, but with the addition of a vanilla protein powder for some staying power. I also wanted it to taste like pumpkin pie filling, of course.

I Googled ‘Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding’ to see what was already out there. I found recipes by Living Lindsay, Spinach and Yoga, The Non Dairy Queen, Confessions of a Young Woman, Choosing Raw, Edible Perspective, The Challenged Health Nut, and Pure 2 Raw, to name just a handful! Apparently, I’m not the only one who wants to eat a bowl full of pumpkin pie.

After checking out a few recipes I decided to just throw stuff in a bowl and taste test as I went. This recipe is very similar to my Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats. It’s not too heavy on the chia seeds and it’s thinner and smoother in consistency than many pudding recipes. I didn’t find this pudding too slimy unlike my previous attempts.

IMG 3394 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

IMG 3399 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

This pudding takes just 5 minutes to throw together. Exactly why I’ve made it 3 times already!

I recommend chilling your can of pumpkin if you can. This just means that your pudding will chill faster after making it. No big deal if you don’t though.

IMG 3375 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

A peek at the ingredients I used:

IMG 3376 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

After mixing:

IMG 3380 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

The pudding thickens slightly in the fridge, but the consistency is still pretty thin compared to “normal” puddings. If you want it thicker you can try using less Almond Milk. Personally, I like more volume.

20100929IMG 3606 thumb thumb1   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

I’m working on a gluten-free version of my Wedded Bliss Soft Ginger Cookies and made parfaits for Eric and I for dessert. It was such a tasty, light dessert for the Fall season! I love a dessert that doesn’t weigh me down.

You can also try adding raisins or walnuts, or whatever tickles your fancy.

IMG 3384 thumb   Pumpkin Pie Chia Pudding Parfait

What I like about this recipe is how versatile it is. So far, I’ve had it for breakfast, a snack, and now dessert.

When I start eating this for dinner, I think an intervention might be necessary.

~~

I’m off to finally get my ultrasound results this morning! My doctor was away for a couple weeks, so I haven’t been able to find out the results yet. My food sensitivity testing, which was scheduled early this week, was also rescheduled to next Wednesday. So I’ve been playing the waiting game which is why you haven’t had any updates from me yet.

Anyways, fingers crossed for good results! If you don’t know what the heck I’m talking about, see this post.

Happy Friday!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 14, 2011

Never enough pumpkin! I love chia pudding and can’t wait to make this. I made peach chia pudding all summer and fell in love with it’s cobbler-like taste when heated. I wonder how pumpkin would be warmed?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I will have to try warming it, good idea!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over October 14, 2011

This looks so good! I love parfaits – they’re perfect ;)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga October 14, 2011

Oh it looks awesome. And love the parfait cup layers. You are a patient woman getting those layers in there just so, and without making a smeary mess on the glass. Nice work. And of course on the lovely recipe.

I havent made chia pudding in ages either. But I sure have been rockin’ the pumpkin eats. I think I may turn orange soon :)

Your dessert link backs to the cookies and the brownie…oh, I want. I want.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes October 14, 2011

Yeah for pumpkin week :) These look amazing! Can’t wait to try!

Beth - Tasty Yummies October 14, 2011

Holy pumpkin deliciousness – this looks amazing!! I cannot get enough pumpkin recipes right now either! I am obsessed. Can’t wait to try this one!

Kelsey @ Living the Gluten Free Life October 14, 2011

I have never made chia pudding but this looks so tasty! I think I will definitely be having to make a batch of this over the weekend. Can’t wait til the GF ginger cookies to crumble on top!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 14, 2011

Don’t stop with the pumpkin, I am addicted! Another recipe I want to make:-)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate October 14, 2011

Parfaits are just so…pretty! They’re the perfect dessert :-)

Cait's Plate October 14, 2011

I love the idea of the chia seed addition! I’m making pumpkin pancakes right now – I really should have added some in!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 14, 2011

This looks delicious Ange! And I remember those soft ginger cookies… think I’m going to need to make a batch this month because they are so so good! Good luck with your test results.. I hope the news is positive!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy October 14, 2011

I am totally ok with tons of pumpkin recipes! These look great!

Lynn October 14, 2011

This looks amazing!! Can’t wait to make it!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 14, 2011

Been looking forward to this since you mentioned it yesterday, and it looks amazing! I don’t think I’ll be able to resist adding the ginger cookies!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed October 14, 2011

There is just nothing bad about that, is there? Wowzers.

Sara October 14, 2011

I can FINALLY see the new header. LOVE IT!
Hope the doctor goes well.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

Wow I wonder what took so long! lol. Thanks :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb October 14, 2011

no such thing as too much pumpkin!! and i am always looking for new pumpkin breakfast ideas. love this!

Faith @ For the Health of It October 14, 2011

There’s no such thing as too much pumpkin – especially since this is my first time participating in the deliciousness! Keep these awesome recipes coming! Now excuse me while I go scheme about vegan pumpkin ravioli…

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

That sounds delicious :)

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) October 14, 2011

nooo don’t stop with the pumpkin recipes! this pudding sounds so good and adding protein powder is a really good idea! i’ll keep this one in mind :)

Sweet and Savvy October 14, 2011

I will be trying this Out as soon as I get home today.:)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen October 14, 2011

I am not sick of pumpkin in the slightest, keep ‘em coming! This looks like such a perfect snack idea, especially around 3pm when I want to raid my entire fridge and pantry every day!

katie@ KatieDid October 14, 2011

mmmm this looks incredible. I also love desserts that aren’t too heavy or too sweet. I normally have big bowls of berries, yogurt, and almond butter. I know some people wouldn’t consider that dessert but it works for me!

Mai October 14, 2011

Looks SO good! I need to make this as soon as I get some pumpkin!
For some reason, I am having so much trouble finding canned pumpkin here.

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop October 14, 2011

And there it is.. Now I’ll probably make it every single day until I can’t stomach it anymore, because that’s what I always do. Haha – self control? Not this lady ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I hear ya!

Jacqueline October 14, 2011

I just made this. I had made another version a few weeks ago but it was from a different recipe and called for a bunch of stuff that I was skeptical about and clearly right because it tasted awful and was slimy. This is definitely a much better version!
Goodluck on your tests! I have celiacs along with lactose intolerance and IBS AND allergies to other things, which cause terrible hospital trips. So, I hope that everything for you turns out okay because its not an easy thing to deal with at all. Before they found out I had celiacs I couldn’t leave my bed most days and the pain was pretty intense. I think the blog Gluten Free Girl pretty much sums it up, if you have celiacs you definitely know you have a serious problem even before the test. Brown rice to the rescue haha

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

Thanks Jacqueline, I’m glad you like the pudding. Also, thanks for your support! I’m sorry to hear about your medical issues, but I’m glad that you were able to figure out what was causing the trouble.

Lillian October 14, 2011

Holy deliciousness, Batman – this looks fantastic! I also lurve the abundance of pumkin recipes this week, since I basically am a pumpkin addict. I look forward to trying this and feeding my addiction! :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 14, 2011

Squeeeeee ginger cookies!! I’m sorry, I know that’s not what the takeaway from this post was supposed to be but I’m seriously jonesing for some of those! Off to print the recipe…woosh!

Lauren October 14, 2011

Yum! I’ve been making chia pudding everynight to have over top a banana in the morning for breakfast. It’s my new favorite breakfast!

Pure2raw twins October 14, 2011

Angela that pumpkin chia parfait looks incredible! So glad to hear that you enjoyed pumpkin and chia together as well! We always love the texture chia seeds provide our pumpkin puddings. And there is never too much pumpkin! We enjoy it all the time! and thanks for the link love :) HUGS

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

Thank you for the recipe inspiration!!

Ashley October 14, 2011

I love everything pumpkin right now! I can’t get enough of it! This looks amazing!

Erin October 14, 2011

I seriously had a dream the other night that I was on Chopped and the secret ingredient was chia seeds. Now I know exactly what I could do with them! haha!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

it’s fate :)

Alex @ Raw Recovery October 14, 2011

Oh my gosh this looks like the perfect (and easy!) fall dessert! I’m so excited to have a fall party and serve this to guests!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

It was fun (and very light!). I suggest if you serve it for dessert to add more maple syrup and make it a bit sweeter.

Heather (heathers dish) October 14, 2011

Yes, yes I will be making this over the weekend! Sounds heavenly!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com October 14, 2011

I think I need another day this weekend to make (and eat!) all the delicious things you’ve posted this week! So far, I have 4 meals and desserts. I can have cookies for breakfast, right? ;)

Sending good health vibes to you and hope the ultrasound gives you some answers and a plan to move forward with your health.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

umm yes it’s the weekend, right? ;)
Thanks for your good wishes!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles October 14, 2011

I’ll never get tired of pumpkin recipes, keep em comin! This looks amazing, especially with the cookies.

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day October 14, 2011

Yum… I just love pumpkin chia pudding.. and those gingersnaps look really lovely

Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware October 14, 2011

Hello Angela:

That parfait looks amazing and I am going to have to make those Ginger Cookies! I made your Pumpkin Pie Brownies earlier this week and they have already been gobbled up. Thank you for all the amazing recipes. Have a great day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

I’m glad you enjoyed the brownies Abby!

Ambika S. October 14, 2011

So last night, I made your pumpkin mac n cheese for dinner. And I just made this pudding for breakfast. They are both AMAZING!! The pasta was so rich and creamy, and the pudding has the taste and texture of the best pumpkin pie filling.

Thank you for enabling my pumpkin addiction, and helping me to ensure I’ll be sporting a lovely orange glow =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 14, 2011

Wow you’re on fire! :) Glad you enjoyed them. I think our meals were the same the past day ;)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit October 14, 2011

Mmm pumpkin chia pudding. I’ve been having this same sort of thing for a couple of weeks now but I’ve been adding about 1 tbsp melted coconut butter on top then letting it harden in the fridge. SO good!
Good luck with your results, Angela. Looking forward to seeing what the doctor has to say. All good news, I’m sure :)

Ashley October 14, 2011

Thinking about you today!! Hope you get some answers! The parfaits look fantastic. If you’re wanting the pudding to be thicker, you can add more chia seeds, but blend it up…totally gets rid of the slime factor!! ;) Looks completely amazing as is though! Paired with crunchy spiced cookies, I can’t even imagine. I have plans to make something similar, but am going to try a version of GF lady fingers to layer with the pumpkin. Now all I can think about is pumpkin….mmm

Rebekah October 14, 2011

I am so glad that someone else shares my affinity for pumkin! Keep ‘em coming.. :)

Page 1 of 3123»