End of Summer Peach Apple Cobbler

IMG_2070

Last weekend, I bought my last basket of Ontario peaches from the farmer’s market. From here on out, things like pears, apples, figs, grapes, beets, pumpkins, carrots, squash, and potatoes make their seasonal debut.

But first, I wanted to make a farewell summer recipe using fresh peaches, a couple of the season’s first apples, and an easy gluten-free biscuit topping. I figured, it would make the end of summer a bit less bitter and a bit more sweet!

IMG_2032

Have you ever made a cobbler recipe before?

This was my first time making a cobbler and I expected it to be a lot more difficult than it was. It was actually super easy to make, but it still looks like you spent hours baking it.

A cobbler has a base of gently cooked fruit with a lightly sweetened biscuit topping. It’s the perfect recipe to make when you don’t have the time or energy to make a pie from scratch, but still want a show stopper dessert. I actually think I might like this recipe better than a traditional pie! There is just something about the sweet, fluffy biscuit topping that lured me back for more and more. Even Eric who isn’t normally a “cooked fruit fan” absolutely loved this cobbler.

IMG_2058

Just like a pie, you can pretty much use any fruit and have great success. You can’t go wrong if you use what’s in season as seasonal fruit is usually sweeter and you won’t have to add much sweetener to the cobbler.

I thought local peaches and apples were a perfect pairing for the last week of summer!

IMG_2024

I sliced 5 cups of peaches and 3 cups of apples- no need to remove the skin.

IMG_2033

Then, all you do is mix together the base ingredients made up of arrowroot powder (or cornstarch), Sucanat (or other dry sugar), cinnamon, sliced fruit, water, and vanilla. Bring it to a boil and cook for 1-2 minutes.

IMG_2036

Now you have gently cooked fruit in a light syrup!

IMG_2037

Spread into a greased casserole dish (or a very large pie dish like I did).

IMG_2042

I loved the oat and almond flour combination so much in my gluten-free chocolate chip cookies, I decided to make a gluten-free biscuit using the same flours. I only added 1/4 cup of almond flour, but it resulted in a sweet and nutty batter. I probably could have eaten this batter on its own and called it a day…it turned out incredible! The best part is that it comes together in just a couple minutes.

IMG_2038

If you don’t have almond flour, not to worry. You can simply process whole almonds into a fine flour in your blender or processor. Or you can use whatever flour you want and I’m sure it will turn out as well.

Because the consistency of the batter is quite drippy (think porridge), it is easily spooned on top of the fruit mixture. I added about 6 large spoonful’s, as I wanted it to serve 6 people, but it doesn’t really matter how you spread it on. For a crunchy topping, I sprinkled it with Sucanat before baking.

IMG_2047

Now bake for 25-30 minutes and serve immediately. Easy as pie cobbler!

IMG_2059

I served it in mini waffle bowls (President’s Choice brand if I remember correctly) along with some vegan ice cream.

IMG_2063

A sprinkle of toasted almonds really took it over the top and added the perfect crunch!

IMG_2068

IMG_2071

Summer, it’s been a slice.

1 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2011

This looks so rustic and delicious! I can’t believe I’ve never thought to combine apples and peaches in cobblers – I do it with berries all the time. Can’t wait to try it out!

2 Faith @ For the Health of It September 19, 2011

Cobblers are my all time favorite dessert (yep, even over chocolate!!!) but I’ve never tried to make one on my own. I can’t wait to try this – gotta do it quickly before peaches are too hard to find!

3 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes September 19, 2011

This looks so homely and a perfect way to welcome the new season.

4 Holly @ The Runny Egg September 19, 2011

This looks delicious Angela! And I love that you used those waffle bowls. What a great end-of-summer dessert (or breakfast?)

5 Lauren at Keep It Sweet September 19, 2011

I love that you merged summer and fall but using both peaches and apples, delicious!

6 Amy B September 19, 2011

Wow that looks amazing!! Could you use Stevia instead of sucanat/White sugar/brown sugar?

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Hi Amy, I’m not sure as I have never made anything with stevia before. I can’t see why not!

8 Beth September 19, 2011

I use pure, powdered stevia often. You could definitely use a bit in the fruit. For the cobbler topping, I’d probably add the stevia as well as applesauce to replace the amount of sugar called for in the recipe. This will add bulk and moisture you would otherwise lose if you used only stevia. And definitely don’t sprinkle it on the top :D That would not taste good :D

9 Sweet and Savvy September 19, 2011

This looks absolutely delicious! :) I Have never made a cobbler before, but I’d love to try This Out!

10 Sara September 19, 2011

Yum! I’ve been doing fun things with peaches this year. I will miss them.

11 Maria September 19, 2011

Yum that looks amazing. I never really understood the difference between a crumble and a cobbler, but it seems the cobbler has a more biscuit like topping. Apples and peaches sound like the perfect combination too.

12 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 19, 2011

Long gone are the days when I had to decide between apples and peaches! Now I can have the best of both worlds :D

13 Judy September 19, 2011

Looks delicious! I love making cobblers and crisps – they are so much easier than pie (even if pie is easy!). And unlike your hubby, I love cooked hot fruit, probably more than raw fruit. Great idea for using waffle bowls too.

14 Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop September 19, 2011

Love, love, love the idea of serving it in a waffle bowl! Looks amazing!!

15 Noelle (@singerinkitchen) September 19, 2011

YUM!!! Delicious. I am planning to make something peach cobblery since the peaches I just bought are awful. Perfect excuse for a dessert! :D

16 Ari@ThE DiVa DiSh September 19, 2011

Peach cobbler is my favorite dessert, besides anything chocolate that is! :)
It’s just so warm and sweet, especially paired with ice cream…In Love!! This looks amazing! And I also love that it is gluten free!

17 Kate September 19, 2011

I LOVE the combination of peaches and apples so delicious !

18 Cait's Plate September 19, 2011

You’ve probably answered this before, but are you completely self-taught with your photography? It blows me away every single time.

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Aw thank you! I’m self taught- a bit of research online and just lots of practice every day. I have a lot to learn and would love to take some courses at some point.

20 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 19, 2011

SUPER cute waffle bowls Ange!! You and Jenna are the cobbler queens this morning, and both of you are making me super hungry! The fall produce is making its way into my kitchen now as well… pumpkin and butternut squash are already in the rotation and I think my hands are getting more orange by the day!! LOL. Hope you had a wonderful weekend! :)

21 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh September 19, 2011

How delicious does that look!? It gives ya the warm fuzzies just looking at it!

By the way, I hope you’re proud of the apple/peaches being washed pic because that is just gorgeous!!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Thank you :) I love taking pics of produce when it has water on it!

23 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe September 19, 2011

That sounds excellent. A perfect pairing of a favorite summer fruit with the ripening fall apples!

24 Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com September 19, 2011

As much as I hate the fact that summer is over, we’re heading into cobbler, stew and pumpkin weather!

Another great recipe!

25 Cat @Breakfast to Bed September 19, 2011

being of hillbilly descent, cobbler is #1 in my repertoire of desserts. So easy, so delicious. Also, it can be made a day in advance. Yay for easy.

26 Alex @ Raw Recovery September 19, 2011

Looks good! In Colorado the peaches aren’t really that good until about now.

27 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 19, 2011

This looks fantastic!! Such a nice sendoff for summer.

28 Andrea @ Vegvacious September 19, 2011

What a great recipe to say farewell to fresh peaches for yet another season! I just picked up some local apples over the weekend and I was planning to make an apple crisp. I think I might use your filling instead!

29 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com September 19, 2011

OMG those serving bowls are so cute!

30 Ashley September 19, 2011

YAY almond flour!! I’m also not a cooked fruit fan, but in a waffle bowl with a scoop of ice cream. I’m there! :) Is it weird that my baked goods are turning out better with gluten-free flours, than with wheat flour? I am liking them so much more!

31 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

I’m blown away by how good oat and almond flours taste! Way better than wheat flours, even spelt, which I find is the best tasting flour I’ve baked with.

32 Alyson September 19, 2011

The end of peach season always makes me so sad. There’s nothing like a juicy peach in summer, you know? BUT, I do love a good cobbler – I’ve never tried mixing apples with my peaches before! Sounds interesting.

33 vegirl September 19, 2011

I love the bowls! And such a gorgeous dish you baked the cobbler in. I love that time of year when summer produce and fall produce mingle. We were able to get peaches, kabocha squash, apples, and plums at the farmers market all at the same time!

34 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather September 19, 2011

Delicious! I love that dish you baked your cobbler in… So unique!

35 Jesse September 19, 2011

I love the idea of serving this in waffle bowls!

36 Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine September 19, 2011

What a gorgeous dessert. :) I will definitely have to give it a try!

37 Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove September 19, 2011

I love the idea of mixing apples and peaches for the cobbler! Yum!!

38 Kris | iheartwellness.com September 19, 2011

I’m full of end of summer love right now with this cobbler! I always make apple and raspberry cobbler, but never with peaches….swoon!

xxoo

39 Brittany September 19, 2011

This is why I love you so much! I have been trying to decide between apple pie or peach cobbler for dessert tonight. I have both that need to be used up!! You saved the day!!

40 kris (everyday oats) September 19, 2011

This.looks.amazing!

41 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 19, 2011

I REALLY think peach cobbler might be the perfect dessert. You just can’t beat it!!

42 Heather (heathers dish) September 19, 2011

Cobbler. The solution to world peace :)

43 Amber K September 19, 2011

Oh my, yum! Looks absolutely delicious. And I might have squealed with glee for a little bit when I saw that it was gluten-free as well!!

44 Lindsay @ biking before bed September 19, 2011

This is the perfect season transition dish. I made individual blackberry cobblers this summer for the first time after visiting big bend national park. Cobblers always remind me of rustic cabins in the woods and hiking trips. I can’t wait to give this one a try.

45 Beach Bum Beauty September 19, 2011

I’ve never heard of cobbler before but it looks as though I have been missing out BIG time :-)

46 Rhona September 19, 2011

Hmm, that looks all warm and comforting. Perfect for this crap weather (looking out the window at the pouring rain right now) Sigh.

47 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat September 19, 2011

I made a plum/apple crisp this past weekend – also a great combo! Can’t wait to try it with the almond flour.

48 katie@ KatieDid September 19, 2011

Okay you’ve convinced me to buy almond flour. I’ve been going back and forth but this just looks splendid. This is the perfect summer/fall transition dessert.

49 Brooke September 19, 2011

Mother pretty pants. I need this. In my soul. Right now.

50 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

heh :)

51 Ellie@fitforthesoul September 19, 2011

woww Angela! You ALWAYS ALWAYS read my mind! haha for reals…I’ve been craving something like this lately, so today I just had a french toast with maple balsamic caramelized peaches! Not exactly the same, but hey it works! :D

52 Carissa September 19, 2011

I love the melding of summer & autumn fruits. We’re bigger fans of crisp than cobbler, so I may have to try those together in a crisp. Great idea to stretch summer!

53 Alaina September 19, 2011

Oh, that dish looks so good! And I love that your bowls look like waffle cones. :-) So cute!

54 Irini September 19, 2011

So I attempted to vegan-ize a peach cobbler recipe a couple of weeks ago. It wasn’t a complete fail, but it wasn’t my favourite. I’m so glad you posted this, I’m sure it’ll taste better than my improvised version!

55 Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles September 19, 2011

I’m sorry to see summer go, but really excited about fall produce! I’m going to attempt to create a vegan single-serving berry cobbler this week.

56 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} September 19, 2011

Looks like a fantastic recipe. I love fruit desserts. And chocolate desserts. I guess I like all desserts. :-)

57 Amanda September 19, 2011

This looks so delicious Angela! What a sweet way to say goodbye to Summer!
I’ve never made a cobbler either, but I definitely need to try it!

58 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga September 19, 2011

This looks so good!

Jenna posted a recipe for her fave cobbler/crumble a couple months ago and ironically just relinked to it and she used biscuits on top of it. And now you are.

Where I am from, no one does that…my mom, grandma, and the ladies I watched cook growing up making crumbles,they all just would make an oat/brown sugar/butter topping but no biscuits.

Between your crumble and others, now I want to try it with biscuits b/c I love crumbles.

Your pics are stellar, as always :)

59 Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 19, 2011

Yummm! I love peach cobblers. I haven’t made any yet this summer, which is depressing to think :( Especially since my farmer’s market just had its last week of local peaches, even more sad!

Love those waffle bowls–too adorable.

60 Danielle September 19, 2011

D***!!! That looks AMAZING! I might just make it tonight! Thanks!

61 melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day September 19, 2011

My mouth is watering…. I love that you don’t peel the fruit.. I never do..even for pies… I like the added texture…

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

It’s kind of nice to keep in the nutrients, isn’t it? :)

63 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes September 19, 2011

This looks perfect!! I am seriously in love with the waffle bowl! Haha :)

64 Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 19, 2011

I am now craving peaches lol

65 Anna @ The Guiltless Life September 19, 2011

That looks so warm and comforting for fall. Often with pies/cobblers I just omit sweeteners completely as I find the fruit’s sweetness does it for me, but as I don’t eat sugar my tastebuds can cope without much sugar. You wouldn’t of course get that amazing syrup without the sucanat either. Thanks! Can’t wait to try it for Thanksgiving; can’t believe it’s just around the corner! (Canadian of course).

66 Rae September 19, 2011

Do you think coconut oil could be used in the place of Earth Balance?

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 19, 2011

Maybe if you used solid coconut oil and then cut it in similar to the EB that might work. If the oil was melted it might make the batter too drippy…but I really am just guessing here!

68 Rae September 22, 2011

good idea! I’ll give it a shot!

69 Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City September 19, 2011

that looks to die for! it is so sad to say good bye so summer, but I’m very excited for all of the comfort foods that come with autumn :)

70 Erika - The Teenage Taste September 19, 2011

Looks delicious! What a perfect way to ease into fall while still using up the last of Summer’s fruit!

71 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 19, 2011

This recipe is the perfect representation of the transition from summer to fall! I don’t think I’ve ever seen apples and peaches paired together in a dessert before, but I bet it tastes amazing!

72 Katie @ Peace Love and Oats September 19, 2011

oh my goodness – that looks absolutely delicious! lol perhaps a bit ambitious for me right now

73 Jennifer September 19, 2011

OMG! This looks sooo good.. thanks for the inspiration, I can’t wait to try making this!

74 Julie @ Shining From Within September 19, 2011

Omg. I love you.

75 laura September 19, 2011

This looks wonderful, oh I would love some right now! Cute waffle bowls :)

76 Katrina September 19, 2011

This is the perfect end of summer treat! Love it.

77 Katie | @wholelivingimprint.tumblr.com September 19, 2011

Omg I want one now! Have to go get my last batch of peaches tomorrow from Whole Foods and create this masterpiece!

yuuuuummmy!

78 Get Skinny, Go Vegan. September 19, 2011

Oh that’s SO beautiful!! Love the Waffle Bowls!

79 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 19, 2011

Well you definitely know how to make a girl drool! This looks incredibly tasty!

80 radioactivegan September 19, 2011

Apples and peaches? That sounds delicious! I think there’s an orchard near me that still has both for picking. I’ll have to check it out this weekend :)

81 Megan September 19, 2011

YUM. I LOVE Cobbler! I made my first vegan (and ever) cobbler this past spring – blueberry. You are so right, it is quite easy and everyone who tasted it were fooled into thinking I spent hours in the kitchen toiling over a hot stove.

82 Kathy September 20, 2011

I want cobbler now :)

83 Moringa Oleifera September 20, 2011

the pic looks amazing, i bet it tastes superb.

84 Christie @abrilliantblue September 20, 2011

J.E.A.L.O.U.S
Peaches I can only dream of right now in Melbourne!! Bring on Summer, stonefruit is my absolute favourite! I think we call Cobbler a Crumble here in Australia/NZ, so Peach Crumble? YES PLEASE!

85 robyn September 20, 2011

Oh yum!! I just used up a huge box of peaches on peach butter. Can’t wait to get some more and try this too. And I love your flutey(?) dessert dish <3

86 Moni'sMeals September 20, 2011

I love the idea you have here Ang. well done! )

87 Kelsey @ Snacking Squirrel September 20, 2011

Finally, a cobbler gluten free peeps can enjoy! The syrupy glaze really adds to the appeal of this, and the peaches still hold their form really well- i am pretty sure this cobbler foreshadows a few more weeks of Summer (one can only hope) hehe

xoxo <3

88 Jenna September 20, 2011

Wow, that looks beautiful. Yumm. I just used up the last of my peaches, makes me wish I still had some. :)

89 Gina September 22, 2011

Wowza! i just stumbled upon your blog and have already made (and devoured) two of your recipes. Thank you for sharing your delicious food and story with us. You are an inspiration to me. I can’t wait to make this peach cobbler this weekend!

90 Courtney September 23, 2011

I made this cobbler and your creamy avocado pasta recently–so darn good!! I read your about page as well and it really resonated with me. I’m trying a more vegan lifestyle now!!

91 Alexandria Lewis September 25, 2011

Quite delicious! Used pears and peaches :-)

92 Alyssa Monique (PayFitnessForward) October 10, 2011

Angela! I want you to know that I made this for my boyfriends dad yesterday (it was his bday) and EVERYONE loved it. I come from a VERY hispanic background and vegan eating is not common but they had no idea that this dish was so healthy. While someone else brought a fattening cake I brought your dish and it went wayyyy faster than the cake :-D I love to feed people REAL quality food. Thanks again Angela xoxo

93 Bec August 7, 2012

I made this last night and think I must have done something wrong. The taste was lovely, but the texture was somewhat unappetizing because of layer of “slime” that formed between the crust and the cooked fruit….very similar to the “slime” that sometimes occurs when cooking oatmeal. I did use whole gluten free grain oat flour in the biscuit topping because I like the nutritional aspect of the flour. Can you recommend a fix?

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 7, 2012

Hey Bec, Hmm I’m not sure why that happened to you. I haven’t heard of this problem with the recipe. Did you use the almond meal? Maybe it was too much oat flour? I’m realy not sure. Sorry this happened to you! I’ll have to revisit the recipe again sometime this season.

95 Bec August 8, 2012

Angela,

No, I did not use the almond meal because I didn’t happen to have any on hand at the time. Maybe that’s the problem. I’ll add almond meal to my shopping list and try it again.
I love your recipes and visit often for inspiration and new ideas! Thanks!

96 kate November 22, 2012

i just googled and was wondering if I could use almond flour instead of arrowroot powder?
Thanks!

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Hey Kate, Arrowroot powder absorbs the extra liquid so I would suggest subbing it for another starch like cornstarch. Enjoy!

98 Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 27, 2013

This looks so so good!

99 Robin July 23, 2014

Made this last night for my dad’s birthday! For the fruits I used 7 small-medium plums, 1 pear, a few peach slices, and an apple -all organic- and added lemon juice + almond extract (omitted the water). I didn’t simmer the fruits on the stove, just tossed everything together, using 1/3c coconut sugar instead of 1/2c, and let it macerate. Oh and I chose unrefined coconut oil as the fat instead of EB. The whole thing turned out excellent and it is even better tonight! With some vanilla coconut milk ice cream? Can’t be beat.

100 Sarah Dirk August 20, 2014

I just made this and it was awesome. super easy and super amazing. thank you so much you vegan goddess.