Peanut Butter and Jam Nanaimo Bars

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 31, 2011

These are the bars you make for someone you’re madly in love with.

IMG_1190

Or maybe just have a crush on.

These are the bars you make when you have a broken heart.

IMG_1161

Or better yet, to celebrate being single.

These are the bars you make when you want to say I’m sorry for being a jerk face.

IMG_1147

Or maybe Happy Belated Birthday.

These are the bars you make when you’re celebrating 3 years of marriage and your husband has been dropping some serious hints about those amazing Nanaimo bars you made back in 2010.

IMG_1182

Peanut Butter and Jam Nanaimo bars

Also known as: I Love You bars. Forgive Me bars. Bite Me bars. Anniversary Bars. Ange’s New Favourite Dessert Bars. Or the always popular, Me Time Bars. There’s always a good reason to make these scrumptious bites of peanut butter, chocolate, and jam! Be sure to keep them in the fridge as they will soften at room temperature. Use gluten-free graham crackers and they will be gluten-free to boot.

print this recipe!

Adapted from my other 3 flavours of Nanaimo bars and inspired by Guilty Kitchen.

Yield: 16 squares

Bottom Layer

• 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1/2 cup vegan butter (or regular butter)
  • 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp warm water, mixed)
  • 1 and ¼ cup peanut butter graham crackers or store bought, processed into crumb
  • 1/4 cup almonds, processed into crumb
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut

Middle layer

• 1/4 cup non-dairy butter (I use Earth Balance)
  • 2/3 cup powdered sugar (icing sugar)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 cup smooth all-natural peanut butter (if firm, you may need to increase butter)
  • 1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/3 cup strawberry jam

Top layer

• 4 oz non-dairy dark chocolate chips (about 1/2 cup maybe?)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (or butter)
  • Shredded coconut, to garnish (optional)

1. Line an 8 inch square pan with parchment paper and grease with butter on all sides.

2. Bottom layer: In a small bowl mix the flax egg together (1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp warm
water). Set aside. In a saucepan, whisk together the butter, sugar, and sifted cocoa powder. Heat on medium to low and stir frequently until smooth. Now add in the gelled up flax egg and stir well.
Now remove from heat and stir in the coconut, processed almonds, and graham wafer crumbs. Stir well and then mix with your hands. Press this mixture into your prepared pan, ensuring that you press it down very firmly. I used a pastry roller to smooth it out, but this is not necessary. Place in freezer to set.

3. Middle layer: In a medium bowl with an electric mixer, beat together all the middle layer ingredients except the jam until smooth. Spread middle layer over top the bottom layer with a wet spoon as evenly as possible. Now gently spread on the jam over top. Place in freezer to set.

4. Top Layer: Melt your chocolate and oil in a double boiler or in the microwave. Stir well until smooth. Remove the pan from freezer and spread the chocolate quickly over the top. Sprinkle coconut on top. Place back in the freezer for about 1 hour until set. Once set you can transfer it to the fridge to keep until ready or you can place it on the counter for about 10 minutes before cutting it into squares.

Note: Middle layer gets very soft at room temperature. Please keep in the fridge until serving.

Did I mention these are no bake?

As if you needed another reason to make them.

IMG_1116

The graham coconut base is a cross between a coconut macaroon and a graham crust, with a chewy, moist, and chocolaty flavour that is impossible to resist. The middle layer is basically a peanut butter ball in bar form topped with strawberry jam and a rich chocolate coating sprinkled with coconut.

Hot damn.

IMG_1174

If these bars aren’t the answer, I don’t know what the question is.

IMG_1190-2

Happy 3rd Anniversary, to my one and only chocolate monster! Red heart

For photos and a video of our wedding day, check out this post (as well as some love butter muffins!).

080831_1600

Now, where can I hide these so I don’t eat them all before tonight?

Don’t say “at my house”…your sticky fingers can’t be trusted either!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 31, 2011 at 10:01 am

Happy Anniversary to you two!

Julie @ Shining From Within August 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

happy anniversary! these look sooooooo good. I love the PB&J combo, I don’t eat it far enough!

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary August 31, 2011 at 10:08 am

Happy Anniversary guys ! :)

These bars look supremely outrageous Ange. ..and pretty! ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 31, 2011 at 10:08 am

You. are. a. genius!!!! I’ve been loving the pb&j combo lately and these are beautiful Ange! I hope you and Eric have a lovely anniversary. :)

[email protected] DiVa DiSh August 31, 2011 at 10:14 am

Happy Anniversary to a beautiful couple!! :)

Jenny August 31, 2011 at 10:16 am

What a great idea for a new flavour combo for Nanaimo bars! And Mary’s right – they’re so pretty in the pictures! Although food always looks gorgeous in your photos. :) I used to love making Nanaimo bars as “thank you” gifts when I was in high school… but could never have one myself since they have coconut (allergies)! I do wonder if there’s a substitute, but then I also wonder if substituting would destroy the flavour of the classic Nanaimo bar?! Oh well. Thanks for more mouth-watering pictures!

Happy Wedding Anniversary to you and Eric! Have a great time together~

Lindsey March 5, 2013 at 2:03 am

I always omit the coconut when making Nanaimo bars – not really a fan. Just increase the graham cracker and nuts to compensate for the lack of coconut. We also use walnuts in the crust – but most nuts will work. I can eat a whole pan of these bars – and can’t wait to make the PB&J ones. They are a Christmas tradition in my family.

Gypsy August 31, 2011 at 10:17 am

Happy Anniversary and these look AMAZING!!!

Ashley August 31, 2011 at 10:18 am

Happy Anniversary to you two!
My boyfriend and I have been together for seven years– and they say the seventh year is hard, so maybe I should make these bars! :) I have one question: if you don’t happen to have flax, is there a substitution for the flax egg?

They look amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

a chia egg? 1/4 cup mashed banana? not really sure..anything that is binding might help!

Ashley August 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

Oh banana is a good idea! If I try it, I will let you know!

Natalie M. August 31, 2011 at 10:18 am

Congratulations on yours and Eric’s 3rd year anniversary! :D I wish you two the best in life, that your hearts may always keep the same flame as they do now, and that Eric continues to enjoy your delicious baked goods (though do we really need to doubt that?) ;)
Have a wonderful day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Thank you Natalie!

The healthy hipster August 31, 2011 at 10:19 am

Congrats!! These look way too cute and you can always win me over with anything nostalgic and Canadian. Nanaimo <3

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe August 31, 2011 at 10:21 am

Happy anniversary! Those nanaimo bars sound fantastic.

Carly August 31, 2011 at 10:23 am

Happy Anniversary :) Those look DELICIOUS!!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 31, 2011 at 10:25 am

Happy Anniversary!! I loved looking at all the wedding pics, you both looked great! I also loved looking at these bomb pictures and recipe, YUM! the pb&j combo is definetly one of my faves :)

Kim August 31, 2011 at 10:26 am

god these look amazing! ive always been afraid of making nanaimo bars, but i think i can handle this :) happy anniversary!

lindsay August 31, 2011 at 10:28 am

no bake, really? these will be going in my “all to myself” bars

Georgina August 31, 2011 at 10:28 am

Congratulations! What a beautiful way to celebrate your anniversary! Bookmarking this one! :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed August 31, 2011 at 10:28 am

I LOVE nanaimo bars! This is a unique recipe!!! I am sure your hubs was allllll over them!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 31, 2011 at 10:31 am

That last picture literally made me aaww out loud. You two are beautiful!! And these bars aren’t half bad, either!!

Karen Cohen August 31, 2011 at 10:31 am

Ohh happy anniversary!! What a perfect day!! It’s my husband and I’s 1 month anniversary today!!! Wow- did I just say husband! I think I am going to go home and make these for him!!!

Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Congrats newlyweds :)

Ali August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am

Happy anniversary!!! You two are so cute! Best wishes for 3×10 more :)

Kate August 31, 2011 at 10:32 am

happy anniversary those bars look incredible!

Julie (A Case of the Runs) August 31, 2011 at 10:34 am

Happy Anniversary! Makes me look forward to getting married someday!

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 10:35 am

Oh wow. What a gorgeous wedding photo!! These look like the bars I make for myself just because they’re no bake and delicious. Happy anniversary!

Bridget B August 31, 2011 at 10:36 am

These look heavenly! I love peanut butter and jelly; add in the chocolate and I think this may be the trifecta of desserts. Can’t wait to try them soon!

Happy anniversary–many blessings to you both!!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes August 31, 2011 at 10:39 am

Happy Anniversary! Marriage is definitely something worth celebrating! :)
Hope you have many more happy years together!

And oh my goodness, those bars look divine! You’ve inspired me to make them, my hubby would love them! Thanks!

[email protected] KatieDid August 31, 2011 at 10:41 am

Have a happy anniversary! No doubt you will with these delicious looking bars by your side.

Anneh August 31, 2011 at 10:42 am

Hey, Aug 31st is my anniversary too (four years)! Hope you have a lovely day, and thanks for the awesome recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

Cool, happy anniversary!!

Noelle August 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

Hot DAMN is right!! I cannot wait to make these. Great job!!! :D

kayleigh August 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

happy anniversary! these look so delicious, but i have a quick question. could i possibly use peanuts instead of the almonds? i am allergic to tree nuts but these bars look too good to pass up!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:56 am

I can’t see why not! I would use roasted peanuts as they have a great flavour.

kayleigh August 31, 2011 at 12:58 pm

alright thank you!!

Julie August 31, 2011 at 10:43 am

oh….my…….gawd.
I want to make these…RIGHT NOW…but I’m at work :( :(

Happy anniversary!

Holly @ The Runny Egg August 31, 2011 at 10:44 am

Happy Anniversary Angela and Eric!

These bars look seriously amazing.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com August 31, 2011 at 10:45 am

OMG these look amazing!

char @ char on a mission August 31, 2011 at 10:46 am

Happy anniversary!! What a perfect anniversary treat. And since mine is a few months after yours (October), I have plenty of time to double up on this recipe along with the other brilliant ones you’ll create in that time :)

Leah (The Kind Weight Watcher) August 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

WOW, these look amazing!!! I want one right this second.

Thanks for sharing!

jackie hatch! August 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

happy anniversary :)

Carolyn August 31, 2011 at 10:47 am

Happy Anniversary! =D

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

Yeah, I definitely could not be trusted with these babies. :-) They look fabulous! And a great big Happy Anniversary to you! :-)

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde August 31, 2011 at 10:53 am

Happy anniversary Angela, i’m on a total jam kick so this recipe looks perfect!!

Amy @ The Whole Sweet Scoop August 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

Aw, happy anniversary! Those look ridiculous! Maybe I’ll make these to celeberate our 2 month anniversary in a few weeks :)

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 31, 2011 at 10:54 am

These look lovely!

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 10:55 am

Love this! My husband and I took the ferry to Nanaimo on our British Columbia adventure in July–beautiful part of the country!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 10:57 am

Oh that sounds like a blast :) I cant wait to go to BC someday!

Charlie August 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

Happy anniversary! These bars look amazing.
My boyfriend often drops “hints” when he wants me to make something too :P.

Katie @ Plates and Paste August 31, 2011 at 11:05 am

Oh my goodness…those look beyond amazing.

Heather (heathers dish) August 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

Heaven in a pan!!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

Pretty much, you can make this bars on ANY occasion :)

Paige August 31, 2011 at 11:10 am

Happy anniversary!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness August 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

Oh I am making these ASAP! And congrats :-)

Jenny @ Simply Be...me August 31, 2011 at 11:14 am

The best part about his post? The link to the other Nanaimo bar recipes! Seriously, how did I miss those. Definitely pinning all of these!

Jenny @ Simply Be...me August 31, 2011 at 11:15 am

Happy Anniversary too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Enjoy!

Meg @ Maknwaves August 31, 2011 at 11:16 am

I loved the ones you made last winter and I know I will love these too. You have a real gift for making great bars like these that are the perfect dessert/snack. I loved your strawberry oat bars last year and made them gluten/vegan free for my family. They got totally devoured! Happy Anniversary!! You guys look so happy and in love always :)

Sarah @ SarahFit August 31, 2011 at 11:17 am

You look gorgeous in this photo!!! I have a question for you, as a healthy living blogger myself, do you struggle to have one of your delicious recipes? I know you are recovering from an ED, and I personally feel like having ingredients to create recipes lying around the house tends to create an unstable environment for me. Just curious. You may have answered this in a previous post and I missed it too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Hey Sarah, I have found a great balance with treats and healthy food these days, but it did take me a while to learn moderation with food. For years it was always ‘all or nothing.’ When I first was recovering, it probably would have been much more difficult to have sweets around because I was still trying to stop binge eating. Thankfully it’s not an issue now and because I don’t label treats as ‘bad food’ anymore, it’s not as tempting or guilt-inducing when I do have them around and enjoy them. I also feel like I eat so well most of the time that a treat is nothing to worry about. I guess it was just about finding the balance with food, what makes me feel my best, and not imposing unrealistic weight or calorie standards on myself. Does that make sense?

Sarah @ SarahFit August 31, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Thank you and yes! Makes perfect sense. I feel like most of us food bloggers have had our own issues and our blogs are great therapy but sometimes can also be harmful (in my case). My YouTube videos get dissected under a microscope from many viewers. I wish they agreed with me on what my “happy weight” is but I know I chose to my profession and the help I know outweighs the bad. Blog readers are much more friendly. I LOVE how honest you are! It’s really inspirational.

Julie August 31, 2011 at 11:25 am

That video made me smile, chuckle and tear. I am not in a relationship, but when I get there, I hope my love is as genuine as you and your husband’s looks. Happy Anniversary :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:18 pm

aww :)

Christa August 31, 2011 at 11:28 am

Have you made these without the added sugar in the PB layer? I may try that. Recipe looks awesome – I can’t wait to try it! Thanks!

Cait's Plate August 31, 2011 at 11:28 am

ADORE that picture of you and Eric! That is seriously a wonderful moment that was captured!! (I’m a huge fan of candid pictures that really capture a feeling/moment).

And – peanut butter and jam? You just can’t go wrong with that combo!

Brooke August 31, 2011 at 11:30 am

OSG? more like O M G! I think my fiance would wash dishes for these! I have to make them asap. Thank you angela for the recipe, so excited :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

hah that’s cute!

Nicole August 31, 2011 at 11:36 am

Those bars look DELISH!

Happy Anniversary!!!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 31, 2011 at 11:40 am

Oh gosh those are amazing!

Gloria August 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

Those look delicious!!

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 31, 2011 at 11:48 am

Those bars look delish. Anything no-bake is wonderful in my eyes!

Happy Anniversary! I absolutely love the style of your wedding dress!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Thank you Tracy! All the strapless gowns didn’t look right on my body type so I went with a V-neck (which was hard to find!)

Amber K August 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

Aw, happy anniversary!

Leslie August 31, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Ok, please help! First though, they look awesome and happy anniversary–

Still new to the vegan lifestyle. I have seen in your recipes to use carob powder and cocoa powder. Is cocoa powder vegan? And can I sub one for the other? I was going to purchase the carob powder, but was too afraid of not using it, not liking it, etc.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, am a chocoholic over here, and need to know!!!! =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:20 pm

Hey Leslie, Yes cocoa powder and carob powder are vegan. :) Generally you can’t sub one for the other as cocoa powder is very bitter and carob is very sweet. I buy carob powder in a bulk food store, so I suggest doing that if you just want to try a tiny amount. Goodluck!

Beach Bum Beauty August 31, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Wishing you both a very happy anniversary!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 31, 2011 at 12:07 pm

These bars look amazing!!! Happy 3rd Anniversary!!

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Happy anniversary! :) Those bars look bloody fantastic!!

Erin August 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Congrats on your 3rd anniversary! Coming up on our 14th Sept 21 (yes, I was a baby lol).

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Congrats on your upcoming anniversary!

Alex @ Raw Recovery August 31, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Happy Anniversary! I think marriage is so beautiful and hope to have one as happy and healthy as your’s seems to be! I’m just recently single as of a few days ago and dessert seems to be the only way to mend my broken heart.

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 31, 2011 at 12:12 pm

These. Look. In. Sane. Insane. Congrats on your third anniversary!

Michelle August 31, 2011 at 12:19 pm

These are the bars you make for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Happy anniversary!

Moni'sMeals August 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm

these are brilliant on every level! These should be “just cuz” bars! I actually just named one of my cookie recipes…”Just Cuz” Cookies!

Happy Anniversary! woo-hoo, Gorgeous picture of you two I might add. :)

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Happy Anniversary!! and pb&j nanaimo bars ! gotta make em and hide em too!

Kris | iheartwellness.com August 31, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Gorgeous Recipe Girl!!!! I love your creativity when it comes to treats and healthy meals, such an inspiration! I think, just think I will HAVE to make these….darn ;)

xxoo

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites August 31, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I remember when you made those Nanaimo Bars last year for Project Food Blog. THESE however, take them to a whole new level… that looks like a one huge blissful bite of peanut butter! Would these freeze well?? The PB looks kinda runny and something in me says these may not freeze so well… but you would know best!

happy Anniversary Angela and Eric! It has been really awesome to follow you along your journey. :-D

Lacey August 31, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Happy Anniversary! :-)

melody polakow: Vegan for 3.33 a day August 31, 2011 at 12:39 pm

oh my god.

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious August 31, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Oh heaven! These look utterly fabulous! This takes my PB & J addiction to a whole new level! Happy Anniversary!

Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 31, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Happy anniversary to you two! This will be such a sweet treat share together :). Nothing beats a pb + j WITH chocolate. Oh yum :)

Jessica August 31, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Happy anniversary!!
PB&J Nanaimo bars = yum. yum. yum. in ma tum. tum. tum! lol =]
These might be coming in handy soon…uh oh!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 31, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I love no-bake bars! Yum!

Gorgeous wedding photograph :)

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen August 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Happy Anniversary to you both! and those look increeedible.

Trainer Kjirsten @ Balanced Healthy Life August 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Those look fabulous! Happy third anniversary!!!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!! I am so happy for you two. I love posts like this!

Both b/c it’s your anniversary and b/c of those bars.

I VIVIDLY remember your Nanimo bars from 2010. I really had no idea what one was and remember thinking, huh? But yeah, Got It now.

And the crust, then the PB & J layer, and the chocolate topping…WOW! And of course, it’s all nobake. You just know how to get me really excited, don’t you :)

Hope you two have a fabulous day, year, and many more!!!!!!!!!!

Carissa August 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

I feel like that middle layer is very close to icing, one of my favorite foods. That means these are my new great excuse to eat lots of icing and less actual cake. Sweeeeeet! :-)

Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 31, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Happy anniversary! I’ve been on a PB & J kick recently… I’m thinking these babies for breakfast!

Fran {The Flavorful Fork} August 31, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Happy Anniversary! These bars look so delicious! I love anything with peanut butter. Just enjoyed your Zucchini Bread Oatmeal this morning BTW which was soo tasty. Felt great getting a serving of veggies in before I left the house!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Mmm glad you enjoyed it! I need to make it again asap!

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 1:23 pm

happy anniversary! looks delicious.

Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) August 31, 2011 at 1:24 pm

These look to die for! I have a end of the semester potluck coming up next week and I think these could be the perfect “So Happy I’m Done With This Class” Bars. And hey, if not, they will be “Eat Alone In Your Car” Bars …. into it. Thanks Ange!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

that sounds fabulous, so versatile aren’t they? ;)

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats August 31, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Happy Anniversary! Those definitely look like a special and delicious treat! :)

Sonia (the Mexigarian) August 31, 2011 at 2:01 pm

happy anniversary to such a lovely couple!! <3

Liz @ Something To Chew On August 31, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Happy Anniversary! Those bars look incredible.

Ashley August 31, 2011 at 2:12 pm

I’m still drooling thinking about the ones you made last fall…and now THIS?? Oh you’ve gone + done it!! ;) Congrats on THREE years. Time is surely flying!! The bars look OUTrageous.

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 31, 2011 at 2:22 pm

OMG…what more can I say? I licked my screen. Is that wrong?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:03 pm

No, in fact, I encourage it ;)

Shayla @ The Good Life August 31, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Happy Anniversary! You’re such a beautiful couple and our 3rd wedding anniversary will be at the end of September! Time flies by so fast when you’re having fun huh?!

And those bars look so delish, I want to sink my teeth into one of them now! ;)

Val @ Ramblings of a Babymama August 31, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Oh Angela! You have me drooling on my computer just reading about the recipe and looking at the pictures. I feel a little present for my lovely husband (and maybe some for me too!) coming up this weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite August 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm

aww happy anniversary! Great pic of you two. These bars look unbelievable!

Lauren August 31, 2011 at 2:57 pm

happy anniversary!
those bars look to die for!
i definitely need to think of an excuse QUICK to make those..maybe week before wedding delicious bars? I think that sounds good.. my dress will fit no matter what :)..hopefully haha.
your wedding pictures are absolutely beautiful and make me so excited for my upcoming wedding!

Mara August 31, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Happy 3rd Anniversary and hope you found a good hiding spot:-)
Can’t wait to try this recipe! Any other middle layer variations (peppermint, pumpkin, salted caramel, coconut, vanilla bean) coming up soon?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Mmm. I made peppermint, vanilla, and cherry last time, but pumpkin sounds amazing! Or gingerbread :)

Rachel August 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Happy Anniversary!! My jaw dropped when I saw those bars… They look so unbelievably good!!

Apron Appeal August 31, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hey you changed your header…please don’t say you did that a while ago, I’ll feel like an idiot. anyway, I love PB&J well I go through phases…those look so good, but your veggies on the post below look even better. I’ve got to grow me a garden next year.

Kimberly August 31, 2011 at 3:37 pm

Freaking. YUM! Those bars look scrumptious!

I love that pic of you and hubby! <3 You look stunning and you both look so happy!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats August 31, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Aw, Angela. Once you said “These are the bars you make when you have a broken heart.” I knew I had to make these. Thank you for sharing your happiness with those of us who need it <3

Happy Anniversary

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Aww I would make you a batch if I could!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats September 5, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Just wanted you to know I made these for an end of summer BBQ and they were delicious! I used almond butter instead of peanut and it was a big hit. =) Thanks for yet another amazing recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 9:06 am

Glad to hear that! :)

Kristi @lifesprinkles August 31, 2011 at 3:55 pm

What a cute post! The bars look delicious!!

Happy Anniversary!

PS love the term ‘jerk face’ :)

Christina August 31, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Happy Anniversary! I’m actually from Nanaimo so this is cool to see :-) Look delicious…

Lisa August 31, 2011 at 5:19 pm

SWOOOOOOON – These look delightful!

and happy anniversary!

Elizabeth August 31, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Glad I could inspire you Angela, and what an inspiration! These look fabulous! I LOVE PB, obviously, and adding jam to it, these just might be a new favourite incarnation of Nanaimo bars in my house!

kaila @ healthy helper! August 31, 2011 at 5:35 pm

I am DROOLING! I have been eating pb and j like its going out of style lately!! So this is just one more way I can enjoy it!! YUM!

margy rose August 31, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Going to make these FOR SURE for my guy. May try to make them red velvet somehow…. hmm…

Pure2raw Twins August 31, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Happy Anniversary!!!! Love that picture of the two of you, beautiful!! I just had seen a nanaimo bar recipe on another blog the other day and I was like wow those are amazing and I have to try one, and now seeing your yummy creation I really need to try one!! :)

Nicole @ giraffelegs August 31, 2011 at 5:54 pm

stoppp I’m crying. That is such an adorb photo.

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 6:00 pm

Oh.my! Can I just say party in my mouth?! These look so incredibly tasty! Thanks for sharing!

tweal August 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm

My goodness those look delicious – and what a clever nanaimo bar addition! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Linda August 31, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Happy Anniversary! Those look amazing! I love traditional Nanaimo Bars and have also made Squamish Bars (base is a peanut butter and cornflake crust). So yummy! Tonight I’m having your chocolate cake batter smoothie for dessert!

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Such a sweet post! Happy Anniversary. Now the idea of these bars is in my head and I must make them asap.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 31, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Happy anniversary! How on earth are you going to top THIS recipe for your next anniversary?! You’d better get brainstorming. ;)

Jamie @ CollegeGirlCooking August 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

Those bars look to die for!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 31, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I love PBJ anything! This looks incredible.

Happy Anniversary to you both! Your wedding pic is gorgeous. :)

April August 31, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Oh my goodness! They look so fantastic and have all of my favorite flavors! I need to make these!

FoodFeud August 31, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Happy Anniversary to you guys! These bars look awesome. I like the idea better than the traditional, which just seems like way too much sugar on top of sugar.

KimC August 31, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I made these tonight, they came out perfectly. My husband LOVED them. Thanks so much for another fantastic recipe! Love, love, love your site–have had great luck with many of your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2011 at 7:40 am

So happy you both enjoyed them Kim!

Kathy August 31, 2011 at 8:46 pm

Hide them in a cupboard that you rarely ever look at!
That’s what I did to my bag of dark chocolate chips!!…of course…I did sneak in and grab some and ate until my teeth ached (too much sugar makes my teeth feel ‘weak’ :\)
I wanna make these ;) In time, of course.

MB August 31, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Mmmm…all purpose bars! I’d love to hide a few in my belly. ;)

[email protected] August 31, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Those look truly scrumptious!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 31, 2011 at 10:33 pm

chocolate & pb…perfect combo! I’ve never tried a nanaimo bar, but it sounds like I need to try one!!

Olya September 1, 2011 at 12:01 am

Happy anniversary!

adrienne September 1, 2011 at 12:05 am

haha:
when you said, “If these bars aren’t the answer, I don’t know what the question is.” I almost died – that is hilarious, like really pee-your-pants funny!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2011 at 7:39 am

hehehe ;p

laura September 1, 2011 at 12:40 am

Aw, happy anniversary!
I want one of these bars asap :)

vegantasmania September 1, 2011 at 12:55 am

Happy Anniversary! It looks delicious!

Jennie @ What's Jen Eating? September 1, 2011 at 12:58 am

Those bars look so delicious! …and you’re always so great with your photography. :) Happy Anniversary!!

Marijke September 1, 2011 at 3:33 am

Awww your “chocolate monster”!

These bars look like heaven on a plate. I would make them for my husband but he doesn’t like peanut butter… unfortunately I only found that out after we were married. Joking! Kind of.

Molly @ RDexposed September 1, 2011 at 6:06 am

I appreciated how thick the peanut butter layer is!

Ricki September 1, 2011 at 6:30 am

Hot Damn! Is right. And I love “Sorry for being a Jerk Face.” Now I’ll be saying “Jerk Face” all over the place. ;) Happy Anniversary, lovebirds!

LizAshlee September 1, 2011 at 7:55 am

A bar with multiple layers and includes peanut butter and chocolate..oh no, you better not hide them in my house…how ’bout my belly?:) No one will ever find ’em…

Have a great day!

Rebecca September 1, 2011 at 9:01 am

Are you serious?? I just want a bowl of that middle layer…to pour into my mouth! Happy anniversary to you and Eric!! You really do have the sweet life :)

Rachel September 1, 2011 at 2:44 pm

Oh, this look soooooo goooood!!! Nut butter is my favorite thing in the whole wide world! Thank you, thank you, thank you for this recipe!!!

Meredith September 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Oh my… those look incredible.

[email protected] September 1, 2011 at 3:27 pm

awww! hehehe loved how you tied it all in together. And these look like something my fiance would beg for too! He and Eric can be best friends :P (both are chocolate monsters)

Mer @mersworld September 1, 2011 at 3:31 pm

HI! These look amazing! I was searching for new blogs to read and these caught my eye! Loved reading your blog and the recipe! Can’t wait to try and it and I’ve bookmarked your page to visit again! Thanks!

Renata September 1, 2011 at 6:38 pm

Angela – how much time would you allow to make this for someone who has NEVER made nanaimo bars?

Lisa September 1, 2011 at 6:52 pm

It is OUR Anniversary today also, 23 years today!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2011 at 8:27 pm

Congrats!!

michelle September 1, 2011 at 9:30 pm

My anniversary is this weekend as well and my husband would love you and I both if I made these.

Ally Chick September 1, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Ange I made these bars last night for my husband and myself. His word was ‘sensational’! Thankyou :) I love cooking for him and spoiling him with food, lucky him hey. Plus I love food myself so its a win win situation :)

Happy When Not Hungry September 2, 2011 at 7:37 am

Wow these bars look fantastic! Anything peanut butter and jelly is a big win for me!

Lisa September 2, 2011 at 1:11 pm

In the freezer now! Can’t wait! ;-)

Anie September 2, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Hey Angela!! I LOVE your blog :)

Just curious… what would you recommend as a replacement for the coconut… I’m allergic but these look DELICIOUS :)

Love and Sunshine :)
Anie

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2011 at 7:40 am

I’m not sure there is a replacement as I consider it a pretty essential ingredient in nanaimo bars. You might be able to get away with using more ground almonds & graham crumbs, but that seems like too much to sub.

JenATX September 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm

these are the bars when you are seriously obsessed with peanut butter & jelly

Logan September 3, 2011 at 4:39 am

Happy Anniversary! These look yummy and I’m going to try them this weekend. Between my husband and my almost 17 yr old stepson, I don’t think they will last too long.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 3, 2011 at 12:14 pm

You were an absolutely STUNNING bride. You should be on the cover of a magazine girl!

Eliza September 5, 2011 at 10:13 am

I made these last night, and I think you should definitely add “these are the bars you make for a seven-months pregnant friend” to the list. So decadent!

Sandra Kohlmann September 5, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I made these bars today. They are amazing. By amazing, I mean AMAZING! They were completely delicious. They took a little time to make, but they were simple and they turned out perfectly. I can’t wait to have a reason to make them for someone else.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2011 at 7:36 am

So glad to hear that!

Jana August 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I can’t wait to make them again for someone special (if I ever find him), but for now I just made them for my monthly visitor, lol.

Addy September 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Yummm!! These look so delicious! I made your peanut butter graham crackers, but they were so delicious that we ate them all before I could make these! I just made another batch today, and I will definitely make sure I get around to making these :)

Jana August 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

haha

Marianne September 17, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I actually have never liked Nanaimo Bars (I know, who am I?) but these sound like a bar I could enjoy. Definitely saving this recipe – if all goes well, I may have someone special to make them for soon enough ;)

Jana August 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Hi Angela. I feel dumb discovering these almost a year later… when I’ve been craving them for so long. Just finished making them, they’re setting in the freezer (not even half hour, but I had to cut a tiny bit to try…LADIES: THESE ARE HEAVENLY) Although I substituted peanut butter with almond butter (I never liked peanut butter) and used the new Earth balance coconut flavour spread and used coconut sugar instead of icing and added little agave syrup for the middle part with the coconut sugar. GF graham crumbs and I used mommy’s home made strawberry jam.
So I’m wondering, since your next anniversary is around the corner, did you start working on some new deliciousness?

Cynthia April 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Thank you!!!! Wow, are these incredible! Just what I needed to make a fabulous treat for my Grandma!!! =) I will be so happy if you ever make a lightened-up version of these. (hint, hint ;) )

Saoirse February 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I made these yesterday!! SO TASTY!!!! A huge hit with my non-vegan friends. ;)

Neena July 10, 2014 at 2:43 pm

I love love love your recipes I just wish I had time to make every one!! Thanks so much for sharing your such a great cook!! Xoxo

Genevieve February 1, 2016 at 2:21 pm

Hi!
I’ve made these many many times since you posted them. Today I tried a new variation and I’m quite pleased. Instead of graham cracker crumbs for the bottom crust, I used crushed up pretzels. Not completely fine, left some pieces a little bit chunky. Delicious! ! !

Silvia August 22, 2016 at 8:58 am

Hi! These looks seriously amaaazing! I was wondering about a couple of substitutions:
1) if I can’t find pb graham crackers in the store, can I somehow add pb powder to regular graham crackers to achieve the same taste/texture?
2) can the icing sugar be replaced with anything? coconut sugar? maple syrup? ..?