Vegan Nanaimo Bars

IMG_6097

Hello!

Today, I am grappling with two concerning questions…

1) How is it only 8 days until Christmas?

2) Where did 2010 go? I was just getting used to writing 2010 and now it is almost 2011!

Am I the only one who is a bit freaked out by this?

IMG_6126

I can finally say that TODAY is the the very last day to vote in the entire Project Food Blog contest! Rejoice. Tomorrow the result is announced at 3pm EST. I think I shall hide under my desk with a blanket over my head.

Today, it is indeed hip to be square.

mintchip1

pom4

vanilla1

It’s time for Part two of the vegan Nanaimo Bars! For Part 1, see how to make the Vegan Graham Crackers.

You start by mixing your coconut milk, vanilla extract, and custard powder together in a small bowl.

With a mixer beat the Earth Balance/butter until smooth, and then add in this coconut milk/custard mixture. Mix well and gradually add in the sifted icing sugar.

Wheeeeee.

IMG_5885

Your middle layer should look like this…if making Classic vanilla.

IMG_5716

and like this if making the Mint Chip…

IMG_5740

and like this if you are making the Pomegranate Almond…

IMG_5903

Now set middle layer aside and make the base layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the butter, sugar, and sifted cocoa powder.

IMG_5682

Now add in the flax egg.

IMG_5692

It will sort of gel up a bit and change in consistency. This is totally normal. At least, that’s what I tell myself.

IMG_5706

Now remove from heat and grab your coconut, processed almonds, and graham wafer crumbs.

I used homemade Vegan Graham Crackers and processed them in a food processor.

IMG_5691

Process your almonds…

IMG_5702

and grab your coconut.

IMG_5703

Add all three to the saucepan mixture and stir well. When it gets too thick get in there with your hands and squeeze it all together.

IMG_5707

Grab your 8 inch by 8 inch lined pan and dump the base layer mixture into the pan.

IMG_5710

Press it down as much and as evenly as you can. I also used my pastry roller to smooth it out. The goal is to make it level!

IMG_5712

Now grab your middle layer filling that you so conveniently prepared in advance and scoop it onto the base layer.

Smooth it out….

IMG_5866

[Note: Above photo is Mint Chip filling]

Vanilla filling will look like this:

IMG_5718

IMG_5522

Now melt your Earth Balance/butter and chocolate together in a double boiler or bowl in the microwave and spread it all over the top of the middle layer:

IMG_5936

It will look a bit like this:

IMG_5800

Dreamy!

IMG_5802

Now place in the freezer to set for about 45 mins-1 hour.

That’ll do.

IMG_5863

Let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve chilled (because the filling melts at room temperature).

IMG_6097-2

Now prepare yourself for a life long addiction to the Nanaimo bar goodness! I need a support group.

Page 3 of 3«123
Margaret December 16, 2016

These were fun to make, but I find that they turned out waaaaay too sweet for my liking. Any suggestions?

Meagan December 13, 2016

Question, is there any way to make this without so much icing sugar? Too much of that gives me a headache. Thanks.

Amy December 10, 2016

Not sure what I did wrong, but the middle layer was WAY too sugary!

Catherine Rivard December 6, 2016

Nanaimo bars are a Christmas classic in my family, but the sugar loaded middle layer put me off. So, I tried to use a dairy free cranberry custard (cranberries puree, maple syrup and almond milk with cornstarch) as the middle layer : much less sugar, a bit of tartness and pink color! I like it better this way

Brooke November 23, 2016

Doesn’t the custard powder contain evaporated milk?

Ev September 10, 2016

Wonderful photos! I dream of having a beautiful blog like yours one day~•*❤️

Michelle December 29, 2015

I’m hoping to try this recipe for New Years Eve :)
Do you think I could sub the sugar and icing sugar? Probably not with any of the liquid sweeteners like maple or honey… Have you tried it with coconut sugar… Would it work to powder it for the icing sugar?

Paula December 17, 2015

I have to say, I’m the teeniest bit disappointed with this recipe! By teensiest I mean that I am still happy with it, but not 5 star worthy. I guess this is also from 2010 so I should account for that, but literally every recipe I’ve made from your blog I have followed to a T and LOVED and made over and over and bragged about to my friends about. I don’t want to come across as unsatisfied because I must say that I am still absolutely THRILLED with the fact that you’ve created a vegan nanaimo bar <3 <3 <3 (where the flavours are amazing!), however the top layer of chocolate is just….. meh. I had a really hard time spreading the chocolate, and whilst i was going as quick as possible i found it was bunching up and didn't even cover the whole surface of the bars! Usually your write ups are so spot-on that I know what to expect (gel consistency of flax egg etc.) but I felt a bit different with this one.

Just a little feedback! Thank you for every recipe you post. I am currently eating the DIY Burrito bowl and baking the Raspberry Almond Thumbprint cookies. (I'm seriously obsessed with your blog Angela!)

meghann December 30, 2014

These look amazing! My husband loves nanaimo bars and I’ve been looking for a vegan (and gf) recipe. He’s allergic to coconut though. I don’t suppose another milk (almond, soy) would work instead of the coconut milk, do you think?

Leah December 17, 2014

I didn’t have any pomegranate but I made the pomegranate one and used acai juice instead!! I highly recommend it because it turned out DELICIOUS!

Syd December 9, 2014

I made these a few days ago to bring to my work. I work at a gluten free seafood restaurant and one of the staff is celiac. I’m the only vegan who works there so I thought I’d make these and wow them. I substituted everything for gluten free and they turned out perfect. They were gone in a day (only 8 people work there, including myself) and everyone wants the recipe! Success! Thank you!

Micol May 30, 2014

I just made the Classic Vanilla..oh dear lord, they are amazing!!!! Thanks for this awesome recipe!!!

Roxanne December 23, 2013

Do you know how to make a nut-free version of this? Thanks! :)

allyne December 12, 2013

Was wondering if I could sub coconut oil instead of the butter?

RonNasty64 December 8, 2013

I made these 2 weeks ago and I thought they were soft because I ran out of custard powder. I’m taking a batch to work this week, so I hope they freeze well.

Leigh December 3, 2013

I am beyond thrilled to make these bars… It’s a yearly tradition in our house to have these bars at the holidays.

I imagine you could make a mocha like flavour with the addition of some (good tasting) instant coffee powder and maybe even some coffee liqueur for the adults? I don’t even like coffee so I won’t be trying to make it. NO WAY will I have Nanaimo bars in my house I can’t eat. Peanut butter flavour on the other hand I might try to create!

You should promote this post to the top for Holiday Treats 2013…

Yay Angela – Nanaimo bars!!

Lise August 23, 2013

Thank you so very much for sharing your recipes! It’s been years since I’ve had Nanaimo bars, and these were everything I remembered them to be. Amazing. Swapped out the nuts for more graham, and you were right, it worked out just perfectly :)

Lise-Anne August 13, 2013

Any idea what I could replace the nuts with to make it nut free? My first thought was oats, but I won’t be able to use those either… Do you think I could just use a bit more of the graham and coconut to make up for the loss of nuts?

Thanks in advance – these look delicious and I’d love to give them a try!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 15, 2013

Hey Lise-Anne, I would sub the ground almonds with more graham cracker crumbs. Hope this helps!

Jessica March 25, 2013

Hello! I would like to make these bars for Easter this weekend. I have purchased all the ingredients but I cannot find “custard powder”. I have looked so far at No Frills and Soberys. Do you know where I might find some?? (I live in Toronto)

Thanks!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Hey Jessica, It can often be under the name of vanilla pudding mix too. That will work just the same I think :) good luck!

RonNasty64 December 8, 2013

Real Canadian Superstore… Just bought some last week.