Vegan Nanaimo Bars

IMG 6097 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Hello!

Today, I am grappling with two concerning questions…

1) How is it only 8 days until Christmas?

2) Where did 2010 go? I was just getting used to writing 2010 and now it is almost 2011!

Am I the only one who is a bit freaked out by this?

IMG 6126 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

I can finally say that TODAY is the the very last day to vote in the entire Project Food Blog contest! Rejoice. Tomorrow the result is announced at 3pm EST. I think I shall hide under my desk with a blanket over my head.

Today, it is indeed hip to be square.

mintchip1 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

pom4 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

vanilla1 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

It’s time for Part two of the vegan Nanaimo Bars! For Part 1, see how to make the Vegan Graham Crackers.

You start by mixing your coconut milk, vanilla extract, and custard powder together in a small bowl.

With a mixer beat the Earth Balance/butter until smooth, and then add in this coconut milk/custard mixture. Mix well and gradually add in the sifted icing sugar.

Wheeeeee.

IMG 5885 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Your middle layer should look like this…if making Classic vanilla.

IMG 5716 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

and like this if making the Mint Chip…

IMG 5740 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

and like this if you are making the Pomegranate Almond…

IMG 5903 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now set middle layer aside and make the base layer.

In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the butter, sugar, and sifted cocoa powder.

IMG 5682 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now add in the flax egg.

IMG 5692 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

It will sort of gel up a bit and change in consistency. This is totally normal. At least, that’s what I tell myself.

IMG 5706 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now remove from heat and grab your coconut, processed almonds, and graham wafer crumbs.

I used homemade Vegan Graham Crackers and processed them in a food processor.

IMG 5691 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Process your almonds…

IMG 5702 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

and grab your coconut.

IMG 5703 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Add all three to the saucepan mixture and stir well. When it gets too thick get in there with your hands and squeeze it all together.

IMG 5707 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Grab your 8 inch by 8 inch lined pan and dump the base layer mixture into the pan.

IMG 5710 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Press it down as much and as evenly as you can. I also used my pastry roller to smooth it out. The goal is to make it level!

IMG 5712 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now grab your middle layer filling that you so conveniently prepared in advance and scoop it onto the base layer.

Smooth it out….

IMG 5866 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

[Note: Above photo is Mint Chip filling]

Vanilla filling will look like this:

IMG 5718 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

IMG 5522 thumb1   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now melt your Earth Balance/butter and chocolate together in a double boiler or bowl in the microwave and spread it all over the top of the middle layer:

IMG 5936 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

It will look a bit like this:

IMG 5800 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Dreamy!

IMG 5802 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now place in the freezer to set for about 45 mins-1 hour.

That’ll do.

IMG 5863 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Let it sit on the counter for about 10 minutes before cutting into squares. Serve chilled (because the filling melts at room temperature).

IMG 6097 2 thumb   Vegan Nanaimo Bars

Now prepare yourself for a life long addiction to the Nanaimo bar goodness! I need a support group.

Melissa December 16, 2010

I can’t believe this year’s already almost over with, too! Can’t wait to make these bars!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe December 16, 2010

Beautiful! I had never heard of these until recently, but if they taste half as good as they look then I must make them asap!!

Thanks for the tutorial! I also really enjoyed your photo tutorial-so helpful to know how you get such beautiful photos:)

My fingers are crossed for you!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) December 16, 2010

i love how you used spinach juice for the green, and pom juice! beautiful photos and bars! and i hope you win girl you deserve it !!

Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun) December 16, 2010

Yes! So creative with the ingredients, and gorgeous end result. Thanks for the beautiful post!

Julie @SavvyEats December 16, 2010

Between graduating from college, getting married, and moving across the country, I’m looking back on 2010 thinking “what the heck just happened?!” ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

I bet you are!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 16, 2010

Ohhh I cannot wait to make these!! I’m hosting Christmas dinner for my extended family this year, and about 75% of the recipes come from your blog. They’re always fabulous!

I can’t wait for the announcement tomorrow!! I have a very good feeling about this ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

thanks! That is so fun :)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 16, 2010

I seriously can’t WAIT to make these! They look amazing! Especially the natural colours of the mint and pomegranate ones! :D

Balanced Healthy Life December 16, 2010

I’m freaking out too that it is almost 2011! I still am not used to writing 2010!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! December 16, 2010

Holy heavens! This is the best-looking vegan baked good I have ever seen. And I have seen my share of vegan baked goods, let me tell you ;)

Stacy @ Every Little Thing December 16, 2010

Those look phenomenal! And don’t worry, I voted! :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite December 16, 2010

These truly look amazing! I think I’m in love :)

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 16, 2010

I have such a hard time writing or typing the new year.It takes a little time to get used to. These bars look so good. It’s a good thing you can’t gain weight by looking at food. I would be in TROUBLE!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

im usually good with writing the new year by….November. haha

Lisa December 16, 2010

THe Mint Chip looks amazing…I’m not Vegan tho so the vegan ingredients kind of skeeve me out. I’d love to make these with real stuff like eggs etc…

Healthy Chocoholic December 16, 2010

I can’t believe how fast this year has gone either!!!!!!
Those nanimo bars look scrumptious…..especially the mint chocolate chip ones! =D

Ashley Craft December 16, 2010

I am freaked out by how quickly 2010 has flown by as well. And 8 days until Christmas?!? How did that happen?!

The nanaimo bars look amazing! I can’t believe I’ve never even tried one! That will end very soon. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

hehe noooooooo clue. i feel like ive been in a time warp!

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 16, 2010

um, holy yum! i’m totally making your ultimate chocolate chip cookie sandwiches this weekend…i’ll be my hubby’s hero :)

Abby @ Have Dental Floss, Will Travel December 16, 2010

I feel the same way! I still have to fight the urge to write 2009 – how can it possibly be almost 2011 now?

It’s a snowy night in Philadelphia – I’m off to look through your recipes to find something fun to make for dessert!

Alexa @ The Girl In Chucks December 16, 2010

Good luck, Angela! You totally deserve to win! All the best!

grocery goddess jen December 16, 2010

Those look great! Good luck getting some sleep tonight :) Can’t wait to see that you’re the winner!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

haha thanks!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers December 16, 2010

I’m really, reallly, really excited to try these. And I don’t say that a lot :)

Fingers crossed for fabulous news for you tomorrow!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 16, 2010

Can’t wait to make these!! I’ve been wanting to try nanaimo bars for a while.

stacey-healthylife December 16, 2010

I love the top layer, yum.

Lauren December 16, 2010

These look amazing! I’m amazed by how you manage to ALWAYS come up with beautiful, delicious, vegan desserts! Good luck with Food Buzz, I can’t imagine how nervous you must be waiting this whole week for the results!

Lauren at KeepItSweet December 16, 2010

i can’t get over how pretty and vibrant the color in the filling is

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg December 16, 2010

I love the background in these pictures– that floral print is so pretty!

Katie December 16, 2010

I don’t know how anyone can NOT vote for you after your behind the scenes post yesterday! Seriously, I knew that you must put in some effort for your beautiful photos, but I had NO idea!! You deserve to win for that alone. But, these nanaimo bars? Um, wow.

One question – why would light coconut milk not work? I’m always confused when recipes say this. Is it just that it would be really thin? Could you add more custard powder?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

light coconut milk is quite watery….whereas the full fat has a wonderful cream on the top of the can. It is best to bake with in this recipe, and in many, just for consistency

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter December 16, 2010

Oh those look fantastic! My mom always serves nanaimo bars after a lot hot, summer day.

Stefanie December 16, 2010

If they taste as good as they look I could be in for an addiction. Yum! Thanks for the recipe. :)

Marissa December 16, 2010

omg these look amazing!!!! you are my favorite vegan blog!

Dee December 16, 2010

I think you have single-handedly made me want to cook/bake etc. I have never been inclined to do so! :P

ps. Quote:
1) How is it only 8 days until Christmas?

AMEN.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete December 16, 2010

I totally hear you on wondering where 2010 went — crazy!

I’ve got my fingers crossed for you tomorrow!!!

These bars look amazing — your recipes are the best!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun December 16, 2010

My husband just saw me looking at these and said “Please make that”. LOL

Anna December 16, 2010

This year has just flown by – feel like just yesterday it was mid-summer!

Cannot wait to try these – they’re on the Christmas menu my boyfriend and I are planning. It’ll be just us but we’re planning on going all out…

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 16, 2010

Omg these look awesome!

I have a recipe for Vegan, GF Creme de Menthe bars…in fact, it’s up on my site right now in a post about 12 days/recipes of Xmas. I truly love creme de menthe bars and altho I have never had a nanaimo bar, I can kinda imagine there is some similarity! With the mint version, of course.

The pom-almond. Oh boy. Oh my! I JUST want to eat that with a spoon.

Or even the crust layer. Or the choc layer. Each layer is just….perfect!!!

Hoping it’s ok for me to give you a shout out in a post I have going out tomorrow about friends’ recipes I am dying to make…you have a zillion I am eyeing :)

And here’s to lots of VOTES for you!!!!!! You deserve the Win, my friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moni'sMeals December 16, 2010

WOW. This is a fantastic recipe. :)

SO excited for tommorow, You are going to win!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 16, 2010

Oooh….I’ve been waiting for you to blog about these! They look so good.

Zuzia December 16, 2010

Do you happen to know how to make this recipe gluten free? My friend can’t have dairy or gluten and i’m trying to find a good dessert for her! thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

im not sure, sorry!

Sondi December 16, 2010

Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef has a recipe for gluten-free graham crackers – http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-graham-crackers.html. Or, you could use store-bought gluten-free grahams – I’ve done that before and they turned out great.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 17, 2010

thanks for the tip!

Andrea December 16, 2010

Best of luck tomorrow, I really hope you win! Lovely lovely nanaimos! Question: I don’t know if this is nanaimo blasphemy, but I really dislike coconut. I love everything else about nanaimo bars but I always end up leaving the base. Do you know if there’s something I could sub in for the coconut, or if it would work without coconut? I really want to try these out!

rainbow December 16, 2010

fingers and toes are crossed for tomorrow….
YOU are #1 for sure!

SallyH December 16, 2010

First, I wanted to tell you that while I’ve popped onto your site over the past year or so occasionally, the contest has absolutely made me fall in love with it. My son has a dairy allergy, so I am always looking for vegan ideas that someone actually tests and loves that aren’t so “out there.” (Sometimes vegan cooking can be something you get accustomed to, not something that you are drawn too…at least to me.) Anyway, just wanted you to know that your hard work has won me (and I’m sure many people) over.

Second, how the heck do you say Nanaimo?

Third, what is custard powder, is it at Whole Foods or ?, and it is dairy-free?

Thx

Baking 'n' Books December 16, 2010

Nanaimo.

“Na- nigh – mo. ”

I think.

Pretty sure.

Yeah, I think.

;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

I used a dairy free vanilla pudding powder and it worked great! Glad you are enjoying the recipes too :)

And yes it is nah-nigh-mo :)

Baking 'n' Books December 16, 2010

I’m not sure where the year went too. Let alone the month of December! It’s scary and sad that Christmas is only next week – I wish every month were the Holidays ;)

Second of all – it’s the same age old question I ask all you big bakers….HOW THE HECK DO YOU STOP YOURSELF FROM EATING WHILE (and what) YOU’RE BAKING??!! With mixes that good?

Seriously…can someone fill me in? Because it actually SCARES me off from baking. Clearly, I have NO self-control and am beyond pathetic. I already know, you don’t have to tell me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 16, 2010

I think because I am around it SO much, it honestly doesn’t really phase me much anymore. Sometimes I actually find myself sick of it because I am constantly baking and around it all the time. I always sample what I make, but most of the time Im not overly tempted because it is always in the house so I guess it doesnt seem like ‘naughty food’ to me like it did at one time. My biggest weakness when baking is probably cookie dough though! That is hard to resist no matter what :)

Page 1 of 3123»