Chocolate Cake Batter Smoothie

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 21, 2011

IMG_0896

Sometimes a girl just needs a bowl of chocolate cake batter all to herself.

There I said it.

And not feel the least bit insane.

IMG_1387  IMG_1397

We’ve been spending every spare moment working on the house and I’m starting to go a bit crazy. More than usual. I don’t know when Date Night became Friday night at the hardware store, but it’s not funny anymore!

We do clean up well though…

IMG_1383  IMG_1393

Also, have you ever tried to find someone to help you at those Big Box stores? The phrase needle in a haystack comes to mind.

“Is that a worker over there?”, I squint my eyes miles down the aisle.

“Oh I think it might be…Oh wait, that’s just a shopper wearing an orange tank top…false alarm’, Eric says slinking off.

Instead of turning to alcohol, this gal turns to chocolate. Much like aisle 17, we all have our vices.

IMG_0918

Mind you, after slurping this smoothie down it occurred to me that some chocolate flavoured liqueur would have gone just splendidly in this chocolate smoothie!

*evil cackle*

*witch broom*

*licks whisk*

IMG_0913

With first slurp, my eyes rolled back in my head (I swear it wasn’t spiked) and I was suddenly floating in a chocolate river on a raft made of chocolate squares. Puffy Marshmallows encased my torso as a life jacket. I clenched my bowl of cake batter close to me as if it was my only child.

IMG_0924

There is no sawdust in my chocolate river.

No paint cans.

No cat deciding it’s a good idea to climb the new curtains.

IMG_0891

Really bad idea, cat.

There is no bed-in-a-bag that looks like a bed-in-a-bag on the bed.

There is no trying to fit said bed-in-a-bag back into the bag to return.

There is no furniture scattered about.

IMG_0899

Just sweet, sweet chocolate cake batter.

As I spooned my cake batter, I spotted Eric out of the corner of my eye. He was concerned, only in the way that men are when they see their woman with the other man.

Mr. Chocolate, or course. Have you met him? He gets around.

I looked over at Eric with a sheepish grin, not knowing that I was sporting a big chocolate mustache that pretty much put me into crazy territory. As husbands do, he quickly pointed out my chocolate mustache and laughed at me.

Mr. Chocolate would never laugh at me.

I gripped my bowl a bit tighter as he came closer.

This cake batter was mine.

IMG_0908

‘You missed a spot.’, he said with a smirk while pointing to the smudge of chocolate on the side of my cheek.

Men.

VeggieGirl August 21, 2011 at 7:51 am

Oh my… heavenly concoction!

kaila @ healthy helper! August 21, 2011 at 7:54 am

This looks incredible!!! Oh my….so sinful!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 21, 2011 at 7:55 am

You’ve done it again, Angela!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 21, 2011 at 7:57 am

This is perfect…especially when a girl needs chocolate….which is ALL the time ;) YUM! can’t wait to try this.

Brittany @ Runwithbritt August 21, 2011 at 7:59 am

This recipe looks heavenly!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 21, 2011 at 8:02 am

Now that is a smoothie!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots August 21, 2011 at 8:03 am

Oh my goodness. You are a genius Angela! :-) Yummmmmm!

Noelle August 21, 2011 at 8:04 am

You gotta love them! Admit it. :-D Yummy shake and the house is looking great. Just think when you no longer have to work on it!

Julie August 21, 2011 at 8:06 am

I love your writing… maybe even more than your pictures and thats really hard to top. I get sad when the post ends! I was hoping to meet you at HLS this year. Maybe next?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

thank you Julie! I’m glad someone can appreciate my crazy rambling.
I was sad not to be able to make HLS this year, hopefully next year we can meet! :)

Radha August 21, 2011 at 8:09 am

Yum!!! I felt the same way about the auto parts store as you do about the hardware store. I refuse to even wait in the car if DH wants to stop by one. Thank God we now have a good car. Eric, if you are reading this…..it is time to take your wife out.
<3 Angela

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 9:18 am

auto parts store? ….*shudder* heh

Steph August 21, 2011 at 8:11 am

I like the idea of soaking the oats, mine always come out gritty in smoothies. Such a simple solution, thanks :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

Oh my word, this looks absolutely amazing!

I’m literally drooling :)

Stephanie August 21, 2011 at 8:12 am

Boo! I don’t have carob powder. What do I do instead??

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 9:19 am

I would try 1 tsp cocoa powder + 1 tsp liquid sweetener to start…

chocolate-covered katie August 21, 2011 at 8:15 am

Oh.
My.
Word.
Or wait; I have no words. I lost my train of thought somewhere between the first photo and the last one. Don’t think I’ll ever get it back. And also: chocolate > alcohol. Always. Unless maybe you want to add some rum to that smoothie… :)

Emily August 21, 2011 at 8:17 am

You gotta love something that is DELICIOUS, BEAUTIFUL, and won’t kill your waistline! Looks great-I can’t wait to try it! I just need to find a store in my area that carries carob powder…

Robyn August 21, 2011 at 8:19 am

Good morning,,,YOU are hilarious,,,thanks for the chuckles first thing. I’m with you on the chocolate thing!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking August 21, 2011 at 8:24 am

Wow, simply wonderful. I already had breakfast, but that looks like a great post-workout snack! Yum. Can’t wait to get back from my run!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 21, 2011 at 8:29 am

I’ve used raw cashews before too (as long as they get ground really fine)… there’s something about them that really makes it cake-y.

Cait's Plate August 21, 2011 at 8:42 am

Gah I love the photos of it dripping over the edge. So amazing.

Melissa Miller August 21, 2011 at 8:50 am

OMG, Im drinking this right now and its amazing. I added a scoop of PP and used cinnimon swirl soybutter (out of cashew butter) and its soooooooo delish thanks for the delish breakfast this morning!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 9:20 am

sounds great! Glad you enjoyed it!

Jenny August 21, 2011 at 9:03 am

I’ve never had chocolate cake batter before… but, as always, this looks decadently delicious! I agree with “Cait’s Plate” – the photos that have the smoothie overflowing are just awesome.

I’m guessing cocoa powder’s not a substitute because it isn’t naturally sweet, like carob? So would a little cocoa powder plus a sweetener of some kind work instead of carob powder?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 9:17 am

Thanks! :)
Yes I would try 1 tsp cocoa + 1 tsp liquid sweetener to start off :)

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 21, 2011 at 9:06 am

Oh my god.

No time for words. I’m going to make this now!

Thanks for the morning dose of laughter :)

jassy August 21, 2011 at 9:10 am

this is a funny post…haha. and eric is nice and also funny at the same time, too. :)

Kat @ Big Apple Little Kitchen August 21, 2011 at 9:27 am

Oh my gosh. This looks like heaven!

Christine (The Raw Project) August 21, 2011 at 9:38 am

This looks wonderful! I’ve been on the fence about drinkable decadent desserts, but I need to give this a try!

blossjoss August 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

Dawww. That Mr. Chocolate. Gets ya every time.

Mary August 21, 2011 at 10:44 am

I think I just found my snack for this afternoon!!! I can’t wait.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) August 21, 2011 at 11:06 am

This looks delicious!

The reno’s look great so far Angela!

Molly @ RDexposed August 21, 2011 at 11:15 am

All I had to read was the post’s title and said, “Oh yes….”

Mac August 21, 2011 at 11:33 am

I totally know what you mean about needing a bowl of cake batter to yourself! Glad you found your own rendition of it… I’ll be trying it out myself soon :)

Amber K August 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

Between you, Katie and Averie I have awesome recipes up the wazoo that I MUST try! Delicious!!

Natalie August 21, 2011 at 11:40 am

Hi Angela,

This may be a silly question, but where would I find carob powder? Would it be in the health foods section at Superstore or the baking section…? Or does it have to be a health food store…

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

Hey Natalie! I buy it at Bulk Barn. Hope that helps!

Amy August 21, 2011 at 12:44 pm

OMG lol you are hysterical, woman! And I can’t wait to get a piece of Mr. Chocolate all for myself… I’ll be making this tonight!

Victoria August 21, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Seriously?? I have to wait a WHOLE HOUR?? I changed a few things, only 1/2 a frozen banana and added a scoop of protein powder and a handful of spinach. Question, I went to one of those recipe calorie calculator sites and it puts this recipe at 550 calorie! Yikes! Is that right? Do you do an analysis of your recipes? I am just curious, since I try to keep my calories at about 1200 to 1400 a day. Using up over 500 on a smoothie is a hard one to swallow. BTW, I discovered your site when it was mentioned on someone’s blog on “Sparkpeople.com”. A wonderful site for people trying to get healthy. Anyway, I have LOVED your site and want to thank you so much.

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 21, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Cocoa has become a staple in my smoothies. There is just something fabulous about having chocolaty anything for breakfast!
The photos are luscious :)

Stacie August 21, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh gosh, this post was hilarious! Loved the marshmellow lifejacket…tee hee hee Any reno pics of what you two were up to?

[email protected] August 21, 2011 at 1:18 pm

mmm this looks so delicious. I’ve definitely been craving sweets this weekend. :-) I baked a fig cake – it wasn’t quite sweet enough, so I topped my piece with peanut butter. OMG ahmazing.

Tracy @ Tracy's Treats August 21, 2011 at 1:53 pm

Everything you make looks so delicious!! That smoothie seems perfect for hot summer days!

Yolie @ Practising Wellness August 21, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Lol! This post made me laugh out loud, smile, relax, and was like a little ray of sunshine in a stressful day…thank you so much, Angela! And that recipe looks ridiculously delicous too <3 i love your writing, it's fantastic! big smiles xyx

Abby R August 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

My new favorite post of yours, so thanks for the chuckle. And I believe you are my foodie twin separated at birth! You rock. The end. :-D

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles August 21, 2011 at 2:22 pm

We could all use a little more chocolate & cake batter in our lives! <3

Olya August 21, 2011 at 2:23 pm

You made me smile :) what a great start of the day. And still waiting to hear your exciting news… :)

Kathy August 21, 2011 at 2:46 pm

Haha ^^ I love the story, it’s comical, really ^^. I’m bookmarking this recipe ^^
Thanks for making our day(s) Angela ^^

-kathy from http://cupcakes-music-fashion.blogspot.com

Rebecca August 21, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Is that a metal straw in that one glass?! For some reason the glass ones make me nervous.. but that would be a great option!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm

It’s a glass straw from Glass D’harma :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats August 21, 2011 at 3:06 pm

oh. my. god. that looks AMAZING!!!!! I wish I hadn’t just made a smoothie or I’d be all over that IMMEDIATELY!!! Now I can’t stop thinking about it!

Jessica August 21, 2011 at 3:14 pm

HAHAHA! I love this recipe basically because I have all of the ingredients! bahahaha Seems like Mr. Chocolate IS making his rounds tonight! lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Yes yes he is :) I will share him…til tomorrow!

Katrina August 21, 2011 at 3:26 pm

This is my dream come true!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga August 21, 2011 at 3:34 pm

“it occurred to me that some chocolate flavoured liqueur would have gone just splendidly in this chocolate smoothie!”

Oh yea it would have!

And ironically I was just on Katie’s blog telling her how much I adore flavored coffee creamers from the Bailey’s nonalcoholic (or alcoholic baileys is one of my fave liquors) to Vanilla Coffeemate and no they’re not vegan but the So Delicious Vanilla one is vegan….I pretty much like a side of coffee with my creamers. And I bet those would be great in this too.

Love you, love Katie and Anything chocolate + cake batter is awesome.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 8:01 pm

mmm I still havent tried those creamers!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. August 21, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I completely understand about date night at the hardware store!!! My honey and I renovated a log cabin and it took 2 1/2 years (we’re not completely done yet either….) and after we’d go out to dinner or a movie, we’d always end up back at Lowe’s before heading home. At least we were spending time together, right?!

The smoothie looks awesome!!! I will definitely have to try the cashew butter as the “batter” taste in more things!

Moni'sMeals August 21, 2011 at 4:00 pm

YUM! I love the sounds of this recipe. I have made Katie’s too. You both are so special and thanks for all the love you share. I am such a chocohaloic, too bad this won’t fit in my chocolate drawer, muhahaha!

April August 21, 2011 at 4:13 pm

I was sold on the name alone! With the description, now I really want to try it! :)

Bev Weidner August 21, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I’ve never heard of such a thing, but my life has just been taken in a new, most beautiful direction.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 21, 2011 at 4:36 pm

HOLY DELICIOUSNESS!!!

Lori August 21, 2011 at 7:28 pm

I just made this without any oats or cashew butter (due to lack of them) and it was still totally amazing. I can only imagine how the recipe tastes in its entirety!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Wow good to know, thanks Lori!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Ahh, a chocolate river… I’ve wished those were real ever since I first read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. :P

Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure August 21, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I thought I was the only one ;-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 21, 2011 at 8:53 pm

me too!

Veggie V! @Veggie V's Vegan Adventure August 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I’m thinking this might be the perfect Monday morning smoothie…I’m not sure I’ve ever been this excited for a Monday morning! LOL

Denise August 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Just made this, and it was AMAZING. I used cocoa powder and Agave. YUM! :)

Thank you!!!

Emily August 21, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Yummy!!! Do you have any suggestions for a banana substitute for those of us who very sadly can’t eat them?

Casey Thomas August 21, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Fabulous story telling Angela! Loved this and really made me smile. I make a carob milkshake with tons of ice and a base of avocado with vanilla and cinnamon which I will never share! ;)

stephanie August 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm

you are brilliant. this sounds so delicious! your house is looking amazing by the way!

ATD August 21, 2011 at 11:32 pm

I think I just drooled on my laptop a little…

Kari @ bite-sized thoughts August 22, 2011 at 1:50 am

This looks amazing. You do wonders with taking smoothies to new levels :) The renovations are coming on well too!

Jennie August 22, 2011 at 5:20 am

Oh holy yum in a bowl! Would using regular milk work as opposed to almond milk?

Hayley @ Oat Couture August 22, 2011 at 5:53 am

Haha love this post! Sometimes we do indeed need big ole bowls of chocolate and we shouldn’t feel guilty, not one bit! :) House is looking great btw!

Carol August 22, 2011 at 7:15 am

I actually laughed out loud when I read your email this morning!! You are hilarious!! And what a beautiful taupe paint color..:):)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 22, 2011 at 7:17 am

LOL! Who needs men when you’ve got a bowl of chocolate cake batter!? :P (Don’t tell Eric I said that!) Sounds divine Ange… might just have to be tomorrow’s breakfast!

Amy August 22, 2011 at 7:52 am

your house is FAB! would love to see an outside pic!
a.

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove August 22, 2011 at 7:55 am

I get chocolate cravings once in a while so this will be perfect for that. I might be getting a craving now…

Marijke August 22, 2011 at 8:00 am

I love reading about your house projects- the new room looks amazing, I love the colours!

Jackie August 22, 2011 at 8:45 am

You sure know how to start a Monday morning! The house looks amazing..and I’m pretty sure you’ve given Mama pea a run for her money in the humor department this morning ;).

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 22, 2011 at 8:56 am

I know the reno has to be a pain in the rump but the payoff is beautiful and just think of how satisfying it’ll be when it’s all done!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 22, 2011 at 9:41 am

this looks SO good!!! I have to try this. I could totally use some more chocolate in my life.

Nicole @ PancakesandPilates August 22, 2011 at 10:50 am

This made me smile and laugh out loud! I really love that you took us on your chocolate fantasy. Great narrative (and pictures, obviously!)

LizAshlee August 22, 2011 at 10:56 am

I definitely turn to chocolate, not alcohol! Much more satisfying! Just the name caught my eye and I had to check out the recipe…it’s saved!!

Jillian August 22, 2011 at 11:54 am

This looks amazing! Would unsweetenedalmond milk work? If I use unsweetened, should I add a sweetener?

schmei August 22, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I’m 7 months pregnant. I need this smoothie. For the baby, of course. :-)

Fantastic work on that room, by the way! It looks great!

Ashley August 22, 2011 at 2:24 pm

That looks amazing!

Carissa August 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I haven’t bought carob powder but I’m acquiring quite a collection of recipes that use it. For how much I love chocolate, I’m going to have to get some.

Lorin August 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Yum! I just made this for lunch but used half a frozen banana, no oats, 1 tsp of cashew/almond/peanut butter (from target), and 1 tbsp greek yogurt with a small swirl of chocolate syrup on top and raw oats. So good, it filled me up too!

Lorin August 22, 2011 at 3:47 pm

oh and I used 1 tsp cocoa powder and 1/3 tsp stevia

Alison August 22, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Mmmm, Angela, this was a great spin on Katie’s smoothies! I had added spinach to the first one (I always try to add it when I can) and it was good, seemed a bit more watery (but I chugged it happily). However I made it again today sans spinach and it was amazing! I was nice enough to hand the bowl over for my hubby to try some…a minute later when I went to grab it again…it was all gone! I guess I didn’t listen to your story really, but I know better next time;) Thank you again! You’re amazing!

Anum August 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm

I don’t mean to be rude at all, just curious, but do you not get tired of having to wipe your counter after food spills on it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 22, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I’m used to having a huge clean up of the kitchen when Im done with it each day. It really isn’t much more work! :)

Heather August 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm

This looks so good! One question, when you say vanilla, do you mean vanilla extract??

Kathi August 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

I made this tonight with chocolate soymilk and left out the carob powder and it was delicious!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 22, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Tonight’s dessert!! Yum! I can’t wait to try this. Seriously, nothing is better than cake batter.

jenna August 22, 2011 at 11:29 pm

YUM. YUM. This may end up being tomorrow’s breakfast. The oat bran will understand. Or maybe I’ll sub that in instead of the oats… Mmmm; thanks Angela!

PS – I was at Le Chateau and thought of you when I saw that pink-splotted dress :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner August 22, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Your Recipes are the BEST!!!! Angela, I LOVE CAROB!!!

Stormy @Maoomba August 23, 2011 at 8:47 am

Angela, this smoothie looks amazing! As does your house. Thanks for sharing pictures of both.

Kaity August 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm

i just came across your blog and this was the first recipe i saw and i had to make it and i abs love it! i cant wait to try all these other awesome recipes on here!thank u!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Aww thanks Kaity! :)

Tracy @ Commit To Fit August 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm

I am all over this, it looks delish!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 24, 2011 at 1:15 am

I have been bookmarking your last few recipes like crazy girl!

Laura LaMontanaro August 24, 2011 at 8:57 am

Hi Angela, I have made quite a few of your recipes all successfully and deliciously. Thank you so much. I was wondering if you have any nutritional data available. I only ask because my niece is a terrible vegetarian. And by terrible, I mean she doesn’t have a good grasp on how to achieve the right balance of proteins, carbs, veges etc.
Any help at all?
Thanks

Jennifer August 24, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Just made this smoothie! So good! :D

Sarah August 25, 2011 at 7:38 am

I don’t have any chocolate chips at the moment (gasp!) but I made this for breakfast this morning anyway. I’m sure it would be better with more chocolate (what isn’t?), but it was still pretty damn good. :)

Sarah @ inspirebeautiful.blogspot.com August 25, 2011 at 8:19 pm

had this for dinner tonight, haha…a little ghetto for dinner but I couldn’t help myself, it looked too good. AND IT WAS. AWESOME, I love it! It’s a great healthy dessert

Stephanie August 26, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Omg Angela I made this only I added 2 cups of spinach and some protein powder….AMAZING!!! Your reci

Stephanie August 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

What that was supposed to say is your recipes are a staple in my house :) Thank you!!

Molly @ Toffee Bits and Chocolate Chips August 30, 2011 at 8:15 am

yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!! I just posted a Black Forest Smoothie on my site- think chocolate and cherries- crazy good!

Abby R August 30, 2011 at 2:32 pm

This smoothie made my very crap-tastic and nearly terrible day SO much better…. and it just kept getting better the further down my glass I got, SO GOOD. Thanks AGAIN for sharing a fabulous recipe :-D :-D

JenATX August 30, 2011 at 10:12 pm

i love your commentary angela! have you always had a wacky sense of humor or did it really come out when you began writing this blog?

Angela August 31, 2011 at 8:24 am

I know this is heaven ’cause i make them for my daughter every morning! I will try your recipe though for myself…i LOVE chocolate and cinnamon together! On top of the dark chocolate almond milk, Daughter gets carnation instant breakfast in hers….i’m sure it is not ‘glow worthy’, but she loves the stuff. DIVINE!!

Suzanne May 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm

It is taking everything I have not to make this and it it for dinner tonight. Instead I will eat my spaghetti and marinara and save this for my morning snack tomorrow. I may dream about it…..

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2012 at 11:13 am

heh sweet dreams!

Sharlene June 26, 2012 at 10:19 am

Have the nutitional info for this recipe?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2012 at 9:40 am

No Im sorry I dont but I would guess it’s around 20-30 cals per tablespoon.

Laura July 26, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I just tried this recipe and it came out fabulous!! So exquisite for my taste buds that I’m in heaven now… Thanks!

Deidre August 14, 2012 at 10:34 am

Hi Angela,

I’m a new reader, and I just wanted to compliment you on your blog. It has become one of my new go-to cooking sites! I have made this chocolate cake batter smoothie a couple of times now, and it is so tasty. It’s just the perfect treat when I’m craving something sweet! Thanks for all the great recipe ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 14, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hey Deidre, Thank you so much for your compliments on the blog, that means so much to me. The smoothie is a fav of mine too…in fact, I should make it this week… :) Have you tried the crazy woman chocolate blender pudding yet? I love that one too for a treat.

Emily October 23, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Can you taste the oats?? I would like to replace half the oats (or all of them) with ground flax seed. Are the oats only there to thicken it up?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2012 at 7:25 am

Yes the oats thicken it up a lot…the taste is only mild from the oats. goodluck!

frosting357 November 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Yummmm….Cant wait to try it! I use instant oatmeal in my morning smoothies and it softens up super quick…(if anyone is in a hurry to get to their chocolate smoothie nirvana)…

Mariah January 8, 2013 at 7:51 am

Just made this for breakfast (with peanut butter instead of cashew butter). Amazing treat to start the day! Thank you!

Allyson April 6, 2013 at 2:27 am

In my opinion, this is one of your best recipes. Fantastic!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thanks so much Allyson!

Darcey April 6, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Wow, just made this for my family. Let’s just say, we are all happy right now ;)

Molly April 20, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Looks super delicious. Would this be a breakfast or a snack?

Deb June 21, 2013 at 11:06 am

Wow! That was delicious. Definitely a keeper…

Clarissa September 15, 2013 at 12:41 am

It’s not that chocolate-ty

Dhara November 11, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but by vanilla, do you mean vanilla essence?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 12, 2013 at 8:08 am

Not silly at all, I mean pure vanilla extract

CdnSkMom November 14, 2013 at 11:33 pm

I am SO having this for breakfast tomorrow with a little kale in it, thanks!

Dezxb February 4, 2014 at 10:43 pm

Oh my, amazing! I used chocolate almond milk, regular all purpose flour, and 1tbls cocoa powder + 1tsp sugar instead of the chocolate chips. I also just microwaved the oats & almond milk for about 35 seconds – I had to make this as soon as I read it! Delicious :)

Alyssa April 7, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Oh my gosh, I just laughed so heartily my boss walked up to my desk to see what was going on! This post should be labeled NSFW…you are so darn hilarious.

Elsa June 5, 2014 at 10:38 am

This was soooo good! I made the cocoa version for breakfast alongside some fruit and yoghurt, and OH SWEET CHOCOLATE! Thanks for sharing!

SJ Cory June 11, 2014 at 1:24 am

Will this work with cocoa nibs in place of the chocolate chips?

SJ Cory June 11, 2014 at 10:00 am

I’m enjoying my smoothie right now. This taste like it should be bad for you! I think I’ve finally found a healthy alternative for when I’m craving something yummy but unhealthy (like a Twinkie). Thank you much!

Side note: the cocoa nibs worked in place of the chocolate chips

Janine October 16, 2014 at 3:28 pm

OMG, this is SO YUMMY! I made it with 1 Tbsp. cocoa and 2 Tbsp. maple sirup instead of the carob and 1 Tbsp. cocoa nibs instead of the chocolate chips – it couldn’t have been any better!
I just found your blog and love it. I bought your book instantly – apparently, I got the last copy of it on Amazon Germany :-).

Kelly McDonald October 13, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Drinking this right now! Pure heaven! The cashew butter is so key for that cake batter-y taste! I made it with raw cacao and 1 date instead of carob, and it still turned out wonderfully. I even threw in some maca and a spoonful of chocolate hemp protein powder, and it didn’t compromise the cake batter brilliance. Thanks for always sharing the most incredible recipes. <3