Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar-Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

IMG 0123 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Dear Breakfast,

Why did I ever skip you and deem myself unworthy to enjoy you?

You really light up my day.

You make morning workouts more enjoyable.

You challenge me to make you quick, but still delicious.

You sometimes taste like cake. Awesome.

Sometimes you taste like pie. Yes.

You complete me.

Never shall we part again,

Your breakfast fan for life.

IMG 0077 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Ok, that was a bit weird, but 3 cups of tea before 8am will do that to a girl.

I used to be a chronic breakfast skipper for most of my life and I felt like crap.

After a while, I had to ask myself if I really wanted to live my life this way and I knew the answer, but it took a long time to break the habit.

Now, I can’t imagine my life without a healthy breakfast to start my day. My workouts are stronger, I have more concentration, and I’m a much nicer person to be around. Trust me, you don’t want to be around me when I’m hungry all the time. It ain’t pretty.

IMG 8741 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

If you saw my post several weeks back on Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge you may know that I’ve been stuffing my face with this stuff each morning. I went on a 3 week daily feast and then I ran out of buckwheat groats.

Total mood kill.

But now it’s back and it’s like it was never gone…

IMG 0087 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Carrot Cake, anyone? I made an extra few for you… :)

For step-by-step photos, see this post.

IMG 0120 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

I process only half of the buckwheat and then I stir in the rest at the end. This results in a nice chewy texture that I love.

I really can’t be left alone with this stuff. It calls out to me from the fridge.

IMG 0123 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Add a dollop of maple syrup on top if you really want to take it over the edge. Incredible!

IMG 0122 2 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

and good to the last drop.

IMG 0120 2 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

I’m feeling in a 2 for 1 kinda mood this week, so here is another fun little snack that I enjoy. And by enjoy, I mean obsess over and eat daily. I’ve been eating this so much, I figured it was silly for me to keep it a secret from you.

IMG 0135 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Just don’t buy all my Kamut Puffs though. We’re already nearing a shortage in my grocery store! Special thanks to Angela for introducing me to this stuff.

IMG 0128 thumb2   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Instant Sugar-Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Just like Cocoa Puffs, only without the crap.

• 1.5-2 cups Kamut Puff cereal (or other puffed cereal)
  • 2-2.5 tbsp carob powder (depending on how much you like it, for me lots is key!), to taste
  • Almond Milk

Pour a bowl of your favourite puffed cereal. I’m in love with Nature’s Path Kamut Puff cereal.

Add 2-3 tbsp carob powder on top. I buy it at Bulk Barn. I’ve also seen it called Carob Flour too, in case you see that somewhere.

IMG 0125 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Stir to combine.

IMG 0127 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Pour on non-dairy milk (I use Vanilla Almond Milk) and mix well until clumps are gone!

IMG 0128 thumb3   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Voila!

A knock-off of Cocoa Puff cereal, without a boatload of sugar and processed ingredients. Carob Power is naturally sweet, but only has 15-20 calories per tablespoon and it’s filled with fibre. Now take note, it’s about as filling as eating puffed air, but it’s awesome for those times when I crave something sweet or chocolaty and don’t want a ton of sugar. PMS, I’m looking at you.

Plus, it’s basically air which means you can eat approximately eighty-five bowls in a day. Ninety-five if you are PMSing.

IMG 0132 thumb1   Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

I may need an intervention.

Rhona August 10, 2011

Both look ammmaaazz-ing! I made the buckwheat cereal the first week you wrote about it (I can’t find Buckwheat Groats (i tried bulk barn but no luck-where do you find yours as I think we live somewhat close-me, in Mississauga/Brampton area) so I jused plain buckwheat to great success. One of my fav breakfasts so now I must try this. Thanks again and again and again Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011
WIERDGREENMAN August 10, 2011

Yay! You and these altered cocoa puffs are awesome. You so do not need an intervention.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Eric would disagree! heh

Shari August 10, 2011

I am SO trying this tomorrow morning! You rock with your recipe ideas Angela!

Heather (heathers dish) August 10, 2011

Oooooh love the carob puff cereal thing! I just want to drink the milk out of that bowl!

Sam August 10, 2011

Yummm! I really want to try buckwheat groats. This recipe is on the top of the list! I love breakfast and cannot go without it!

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 10, 2011

I love it when breakfast looks like dessert! And it has carrots in it. I’m sold.

Kristi August 10, 2011

Angela, I love your blog so much! :-) Both recipes look delicious! Do you think I could do the buckwheat groats recipe with regular oatmeal? Maybe do the overnight oats thing and just add the same toppings? I def want to branch out and try more grains, etc., but I need a spare second to run to the co-op for supplies! :-) THANKS!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

I can’t see why not. I’ve made vegan overnight oats carrot cake before. You might need more liquid if using 2 cups of oats as it will soak up quite a bit. Let me know if you try it out!

katie@ KatieDid August 10, 2011

You eat like a queen! I wish I had the creative mind that you do before 9am to put together something so pleasing to the eye and palate. My breakfasts just don’t match up…

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

My secret is that I make it at night before bed…and it’s ready in the AM. :) Fool-proof!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 10, 2011

Yes, and leave enough Kamut Puffs for me too! You weren’t kidding when you said you were working on a new flavour – these 2 recipes appeal to me a LOT (and that’s no wonder, because you know I love carrots and kamut puffs!! :) Have a wonderful day, Ange!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

It’s a good thing we dont live in the same city…imagine the shortage… ;)

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 10, 2011

Yum Carrot Cake for breakfast! Sounds fabulous to me! I just love your site and how open you are about discussing your past. You truly are an inspiration! Thank You!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 10, 2011

I love your ode to breakfast. Plain and simply breakfast rules and it makes my morning too. Cheers to oats and parfaits! ;)

Caitlin August 10, 2011

your carrot cake buckwheat porridge looks UN-believably scrumptious. i’m in awe right now.

The Teenage Taste August 10, 2011

Haha! I loved your Breakfast poem, Angela. My parents have always made me eat breakfast but I remember back when I would eat a little packet of super-sweet oatmeal for breakfast and that’s it. Ew. I can’t even think about it without cringing. ;-)
This Carrot Cake Porridge is more like it! I looooove carrot cake!

Gail August 10, 2011

This might be pushing you into dangerous territory, but you can buy a 12 pack of the Nature’s Path Organic Kamut Puffs Cereal on Amazon…..

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Now we’re talking!

Julie @ Shining From Within August 10, 2011

I am nearing end of my buckwheat groats too…waaaaah. This looks amaze, I wonder if you can make a cake batter flavor with vanilla protein and sunflower seed butter!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Are you a mind-reader? I was just thinking about cake batter yesterday :) Yummm

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 10, 2011

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I can’t imagine NOT eating breakfast :-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 10, 2011

I loved your original buckwheat porridge recipe and considering carrot cake is my fav dessert I can’t wait to try this one!

Kate August 10, 2011

omgggg breakfast is seriously my favorite meal of the day… I love the maple syrup dripping down the sides it looks to die for!

Kath August 10, 2011

Gorgeous photos!

Cait's Plate August 10, 2011

Ahahahah I LOVED the ode to breakfast – and this is certainly one that is worthy of an ode :)

Kris | iheartwellness.com August 10, 2011

Girl you are the queen of fancy breakfast and I think I love you more for today’s breakfast delight :) This looks FAB!! Thank you again for another wonderful recipe!! Keep inspiring dollface!

xxoo

Nikita August 10, 2011

I can’t believe I used to skip breakfast either! Now I look forward to it every morning… I just love the quietness and peace of a morning and sitting down with a delicious and healthy meal is such a pleasure!
Your buckwheat groats sound so good! I need to find raw buckwheat groats though… I may just try making an oat version until I can track those down!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 10, 2011

I can’t imagine skipping breakfast! But I used to do the same thing. I would eat just sugar free jello and then go work out. I didn’t feel well at all. UGH!

Jenny August 10, 2011

I second what Kris said… only I’d add: “You are the queen of fancy” [but still super fast!] “breakfast”! I’ve never been a carrot cake fan, although I l-o-v-e carrots… But if it’s a recipe by you, it’s definitely worth a try. Everything else has turned out delicious… And besides, I’ve loved buckwheat since discovering it a year ago, and the buckwheat porridge idea is genius!

How funny that you like Kamut Puffs too! I’ve been using them to replace rice puffs in recipes that call for them. :D I think they either have a little more protein or a little bit more fibre than rice puffs?! Can’t remember. I wish there were a way to puff Kamut groats or millet at home!

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat August 10, 2011

I have been drooling over this since you posted the picture on FB yesterday!!

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 10, 2011

The texture of the buckwheat porridge totally looks pudding like…which begs for a chocolaty, cocoa, almond version. I know what I’m eating tomorrow morning!

Emily August 10, 2011

You’re breakfasts are always so pretty!

Kelly August 10, 2011

I just read your breakfast post, and I totally used to do the same thing with half a packet of oatmeal!

Bev Weidner August 10, 2011

I am freaking out. Gorgeous!

Robyn August 10, 2011

Breakfast is my most absolutely fave meal of the day….always have looked forward to it :-)
Just love your pictures and will be making this buckwheat breakfast soon!

Balancing Sylvia August 10, 2011

You had me drooling with the first Buckwheat porridge photo and then you went and threw cocoa puffs into the mix . . . Work needs to be over like now :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

haha those 2 for 1′s get ya eh?

Emma (Namaste Everyday) August 10, 2011

Angela, you should open a restaurant. I would move to Canada so that I can pay for you to plate your beautiful food! i need to get my hands on some carob powder…

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

You are too kind!

Callie August 10, 2011

I could totally go for 95 bowls of Carob Puff Cereal right now. :)
You need your own cooking show, this stuff is amazing!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 10, 2011

I’m so glad you showcased kamut puffs! I actually bought some on a whim the other day! I can’t eat it yet since I’m on a gluten-free/soy-free/dairy-free/corn-free elimination diet, but I plan to make it part of my “light gluten” introduction day!

Zestful Lou August 10, 2011

I am so angry that I used the last of the almond milk yesterday! I want the carob puffs NOW! I’ve got my almonds soaking as we speak for my first attempt at homemade almond milk though. So excited!

VeggieGirl August 10, 2011

Wow, this page with those beautiful photos made me very hungry!

Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 10, 2011

I have bought the kamut puff cereal, but never thought to add carob powder. Good idea, as the cereal is a little bland on it’s own.

Noelle August 10, 2011

I totally had not read your post before posting mine. I have a 2 for 1 breakfast this morning too! :D

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 10, 2011

Um…I want breakfast at your house. lol That looks absolutely amazing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Come on over!

Lauren (PB&G) August 10, 2011

Amazingly I HAVE kamut puff cereal in my cabinet right now! I thought about making a similar version (with dark cocoa powder instead of carob) last night for “dessert” but made some beet cookies instead..

That buckwheat porridge looks fab, too!

Page 1 of 3123»