Carrot Cake Raw Buckwheat Porridge & Sugar-Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

IMG_0123-2

Dear Breakfast,

Why did I ever skip you and deem myself unworthy to enjoy you?

You really light up my day.

You make morning workouts more enjoyable.

You challenge me to make you quick, but still delicious.

You sometimes taste like cake. Awesome.

Sometimes you taste like pie. Yes.

You complete me.

Never shall we part again,

Your breakfast fan for life.

IMG_0077

Ok, that was a bit weird, but 3 cups of tea before 8am will do that to a girl.

I used to be a chronic breakfast skipper for most of my life and I felt like crap.

After a while, I had to ask myself if I really wanted to live my life this way and I knew the answer, but it took a long time to break the habit.

Now, I can’t imagine my life without a healthy breakfast to start my day. My workouts are stronger, I have more concentration, and I’m a much nicer person to be around. Trust me, you don’t want to be around me when I’m hungry all the time. It ain’t pretty.

IMG_8741

If you saw my post several weeks back on Raw Buckwheat Breakfast Porridge you may know that I’ve been stuffing my face with this stuff each morning. I went on a 3 week daily feast and then I ran out of buckwheat groats.

Total mood kill.

But now it’s back and it’s like it was never gone…

IMG_0087

Carrot Cake, anyone? I made an extra few for you… :)

For step-by-step photos, see this post.

IMG_0120

I process only half of the buckwheat and then I stir in the rest at the end. This results in a nice chewy texture that I love.

I really can’t be left alone with this stuff. It calls out to me from the fridge.

IMG_0123

Add a dollop of maple syrup on top if you really want to take it over the edge. Incredible!

IMG_0122-2

and good to the last drop.

IMG_0120-2

I’m feeling in a 2 for 1 kinda mood this week, so here is another fun little snack that I enjoy. And by enjoy, I mean obsess over and eat daily. I’ve been eating this so much, I figured it was silly for me to keep it a secret from you.

IMG_0135

Just don’t buy all my Kamut Puffs though. We’re already nearing a shortage in my grocery store! Special thanks to Angela for introducing me to this stuff.

IMG_0128

Instant Sugar-Free ‘Carob Puff’ Cereal

Just like Cocoa Puffs, only without the crap.

• 1.5-2 cups Kamut Puff cereal (or other puffed cereal)
  • 2-2.5 tbsp carob powder (depending on how much you like it, for me lots is key!), to taste
  • Almond Milk

Pour a bowl of your favourite puffed cereal. I’m in love with Nature’s Path Kamut Puff cereal.

Add 2-3 tbsp carob powder on top. I buy it at Bulk Barn. I’ve also seen it called Carob Flour too, in case you see that somewhere.

IMG_0125

Stir to combine.

IMG_0127

Pour on non-dairy milk (I use Vanilla Almond Milk) and mix well until clumps are gone!

IMG_0128

Voila!

A knock-off of Cocoa Puff cereal, without a boatload of sugar and processed ingredients. Carob Power is naturally sweet, but only has 15-20 calories per tablespoon and it’s filled with fibre. Now take note, it’s about as filling as eating puffed air, but it’s awesome for those times when I crave something sweet or chocolaty and don’t want a ton of sugar. PMS, I’m looking at you.

Plus, it’s basically air which means you can eat approximately eighty-five bowls in a day. Ninety-five if you are PMSing.

IMG_0132

I may need an intervention.

1 Rhona August 10, 2011

Both look ammmaaazz-ing! I made the buckwheat cereal the first week you wrote about it (I can’t find Buckwheat Groats (i tried bulk barn but no luck-where do you find yours as I think we live somewhat close-me, in Mississauga/Brampton area) so I jused plain buckwheat to great success. One of my fav breakfasts so now I must try this. Thanks again and again and again Angela!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011
3 WIERDGREENMAN August 10, 2011

Yay! You and these altered cocoa puffs are awesome. You so do not need an intervention.

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Eric would disagree! heh

5 Shari August 10, 2011

I am SO trying this tomorrow morning! You rock with your recipe ideas Angela!

6 Heather (heathers dish) August 10, 2011

Oooooh love the carob puff cereal thing! I just want to drink the milk out of that bowl!

7 Sam August 10, 2011

Yummm! I really want to try buckwheat groats. This recipe is on the top of the list! I love breakfast and cannot go without it!

8 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama August 10, 2011

I love it when breakfast looks like dessert! And it has carrots in it. I’m sold.

9 Kristi August 10, 2011

Angela, I love your blog so much! :-) Both recipes look delicious! Do you think I could do the buckwheat groats recipe with regular oatmeal? Maybe do the overnight oats thing and just add the same toppings? I def want to branch out and try more grains, etc., but I need a spare second to run to the co-op for supplies! :-) THANKS!!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

I can’t see why not. I’ve made vegan overnight oats carrot cake before. You might need more liquid if using 2 cups of oats as it will soak up quite a bit. Let me know if you try it out!

11 katie@ KatieDid August 10, 2011

You eat like a queen! I wish I had the creative mind that you do before 9am to put together something so pleasing to the eye and palate. My breakfasts just don’t match up…

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

My secret is that I make it at night before bed…and it’s ready in the AM. :) Fool-proof!

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 10, 2011

Yes, and leave enough Kamut Puffs for me too! You weren’t kidding when you said you were working on a new flavour – these 2 recipes appeal to me a LOT (and that’s no wonder, because you know I love carrots and kamut puffs!! :) Have a wonderful day, Ange!

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

It’s a good thing we dont live in the same city…imagine the shortage… ;)

15 Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy August 10, 2011

Yum Carrot Cake for breakfast! Sounds fabulous to me! I just love your site and how open you are about discussing your past. You truly are an inspiration! Thank You!

16 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun August 10, 2011

I love your ode to breakfast. Plain and simply breakfast rules and it makes my morning too. Cheers to oats and parfaits! ;)

17 Caitlin August 10, 2011

your carrot cake buckwheat porridge looks UN-believably scrumptious. i’m in awe right now.

18 The Teenage Taste August 10, 2011

Haha! I loved your Breakfast poem, Angela. My parents have always made me eat breakfast but I remember back when I would eat a little packet of super-sweet oatmeal for breakfast and that’s it. Ew. I can’t even think about it without cringing. ;-)
This Carrot Cake Porridge is more like it! I looooove carrot cake!

19 Gail August 10, 2011

This might be pushing you into dangerous territory, but you can buy a 12 pack of the Nature’s Path Organic Kamut Puffs Cereal on Amazon…..

20 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Now we’re talking!

21 Julie @ Shining From Within August 10, 2011

I am nearing end of my buckwheat groats too…waaaaah. This looks amaze, I wonder if you can make a cake batter flavor with vanilla protein and sunflower seed butter!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Are you a mind-reader? I was just thinking about cake batter yesterday :) Yummm

23 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 10, 2011

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I can’t imagine NOT eating breakfast :-)

24 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen August 10, 2011

I loved your original buckwheat porridge recipe and considering carrot cake is my fav dessert I can’t wait to try this one!

25 Kate August 10, 2011

omgggg breakfast is seriously my favorite meal of the day… I love the maple syrup dripping down the sides it looks to die for!

26 Kath August 10, 2011

Gorgeous photos!

27 Cait's Plate August 10, 2011

Ahahahah I LOVED the ode to breakfast – and this is certainly one that is worthy of an ode :)

28 Kris | iheartwellness.com August 10, 2011

Girl you are the queen of fancy breakfast and I think I love you more for today’s breakfast delight :) This looks FAB!! Thank you again for another wonderful recipe!! Keep inspiring dollface!

xxoo

29 Nikita August 10, 2011

I can’t believe I used to skip breakfast either! Now I look forward to it every morning… I just love the quietness and peace of a morning and sitting down with a delicious and healthy meal is such a pleasure!
Your buckwheat groats sound so good! I need to find raw buckwheat groats though… I may just try making an oat version until I can track those down!

30 Liz @ IHeartVegetables August 10, 2011

I can’t imagine skipping breakfast! But I used to do the same thing. I would eat just sugar free jello and then go work out. I didn’t feel well at all. UGH!

31 Jenny August 10, 2011

I second what Kris said… only I’d add: “You are the queen of fancy” [but still super fast!] “breakfast”! I’ve never been a carrot cake fan, although I l-o-v-e carrots… But if it’s a recipe by you, it’s definitely worth a try. Everything else has turned out delicious… And besides, I’ve loved buckwheat since discovering it a year ago, and the buckwheat porridge idea is genius!

How funny that you like Kamut Puffs too! I’ve been using them to replace rice puffs in recipes that call for them. :D I think they either have a little more protein or a little bit more fibre than rice puffs?! Can’t remember. I wish there were a way to puff Kamut groats or millet at home!

32 Lindsey @ Why Just Eat August 10, 2011

I have been drooling over this since you posted the picture on FB yesterday!!

33 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat August 10, 2011

The texture of the buckwheat porridge totally looks pudding like…which begs for a chocolaty, cocoa, almond version. I know what I’m eating tomorrow morning!

34 Emily August 10, 2011

You’re breakfasts are always so pretty!

35 Kelly August 10, 2011

I just read your breakfast post, and I totally used to do the same thing with half a packet of oatmeal!

36 Bev Weidner August 10, 2011

I am freaking out. Gorgeous!

37 Robyn August 10, 2011

Breakfast is my most absolutely fave meal of the day….always have looked forward to it :-)
Just love your pictures and will be making this buckwheat breakfast soon!

38 Balancing Sylvia August 10, 2011

You had me drooling with the first Buckwheat porridge photo and then you went and threw cocoa puffs into the mix . . . Work needs to be over like now :)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

haha those 2 for 1’s get ya eh?

40 Emma (Namaste Everyday) August 10, 2011

Angela, you should open a restaurant. I would move to Canada so that I can pay for you to plate your beautiful food! i need to get my hands on some carob powder…

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

You are too kind!

42 Callie August 10, 2011

I could totally go for 95 bowls of Carob Puff Cereal right now. :)
You need your own cooking show, this stuff is amazing!

43 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 10, 2011

I’m so glad you showcased kamut puffs! I actually bought some on a whim the other day! I can’t eat it yet since I’m on a gluten-free/soy-free/dairy-free/corn-free elimination diet, but I plan to make it part of my “light gluten” introduction day!

44 Zestful Lou August 10, 2011

I am so angry that I used the last of the almond milk yesterday! I want the carob puffs NOW! I’ve got my almonds soaking as we speak for my first attempt at homemade almond milk though. So excited!

45 VeggieGirl August 10, 2011

Wow, this page with those beautiful photos made me very hungry!

46 Cait @ Cait hates Cake August 10, 2011

I have bought the kamut puff cereal, but never thought to add carob powder. Good idea, as the cereal is a little bland on it’s own.

47 Noelle August 10, 2011

I totally had not read your post before posting mine. I have a 2 for 1 breakfast this morning too! :D

48 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 10, 2011

Um…I want breakfast at your house. lol That looks absolutely amazing!!

49 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Come on over!

50 Lauren (PB&G) August 10, 2011

Amazingly I HAVE kamut puff cereal in my cabinet right now! I thought about making a similar version (with dark cocoa powder instead of carob) last night for “dessert” but made some beet cookies instead..

That buckwheat porridge looks fab, too!

51 Aine @ Something to Chew Over August 10, 2011

I love your carrot cake oatmeal so I bet this is yum!

52 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) August 10, 2011

OMG this carob puff cereal is genius! I am totally making that for brekkie! Gonna use millet puffs instead and see how that works. I need to re-up on buckwheat groats so I can try your other recipe too. It looks ridonc. Thanks Ange!

53 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance August 10, 2011

I’m glad Live Writer finally let you post this beauty :)

54 Izzy August 10, 2011

Woot woot! I’ve recently found raw buckwheat groats at Ambrosia just north of Toronto (where I also used to buy your Glo Bars!!), so I’m psyyyyched to try this fantasmagorical (real word) breakfast delight! PLUS, I have a bag of puffed-something (rice? millet? kamut??) in my cupboard that I just don’t care for plain and some (Bulk Barn :D) carob, so I’ll be thefting both your recipes this time around :D

I love reading about your changes in food philosophy following your battle with an ED. It’s really inspiring for those of us still fighting the battle :)

izzyy

55 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Good to know they sell it too!!

56 Beach Bum Beauty August 10, 2011

See this is why I love you, you make it ok to have chocolate (well carob but it tastes and looks like chocolate to me) for breakfast. I used to skip breakfast and wonder why I wasn’t very productive in the mornings. Ever since I started having breakfast, I’ve found that I am in fact a morning person, I just need fuel to get started. Funny that!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

I also discovered that Im a morning person since re-introducing breakfast :) Funny how that works, eh?

58 Isabella Allard August 10, 2011

WOW Angela! Both meals look INCREDIBLE! You just sparked* up my taste buds! Can’t wait to try them BOTH out!!! XOXOX Awesome photos as well ;) Thank you for sharing! XX

59 Kathryn August 10, 2011

Please let the next hour go by quickly as I wait for my buckwheat to soak.

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

61 Heather @ Get Haalthy with Heather August 10, 2011

Veggies for breakast in a delicious way! I love breakast too… It’s no fun seeing me hungry either ;)

62 Living, Learning, Eating August 10, 2011

I’m such a breakfast person, too! It’s my absolute *favorite* meal – and those look super, super yummy!

Also, I just discovered kamut ( http://livinglearningeating.wordpress.com/2011/08/08/flaky-fantastic/ ) but in tasty flake form. Could the puffs possibly be as tasty…?

63 Amber K August 10, 2011

I could never skip breakfast. It’s not only my favorite meal of the day, but I am HUNGRY in the morning. I also can’t fathom working out without eating first. How does one have the energy? But everyone’s different, so I guess it works for some people. But I much prefer your amazing breakfasts to anything else :)

64 Sanjeeta kk August 10, 2011

Would be loving my breakfast even more after reading this post :)

65 Jessi Thompson August 10, 2011

I love your website! I have a question about the Maple Syrup you use. I’m from Texas so when you say Maple Syrup I’m envisioning Mrs. Butterworth and I know that’s not right. What kind do you use?

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

I use 100% pure maple syrup :) Usually grade 2, but the key is that it’s pure.

67 Kathryn (Flopoodle) August 10, 2011

Wow these parfaits are gorgeous! Need to make these stat. Thanks for the great ideas, as always!

68 Jennifer August 10, 2011

Angela,

This morning you are officially cracking me UP! I may have to give your cereal + carob powder concoction a try. I have officially been reading your blog for over a year and I LOVE your stuff. About to do a fast – the daniel fast – out of the book of daniel in the bible. It’s 21 days where you eat ONLY plant based foods. =)

Oh and PS I am excited to hear whatever “news” you will be sharing with us….. soon. And bummed that it isn’t yet baby related =( I just had my first.

Have a great day!

Jenn

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

haha thanks Jenn!

70 Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 10, 2011

I am slowly but surely getting more comfortable with eating breakfast. I used to skip it all of the time too… filling up on water and carrot sticks. I am now understanding how dang important this meal is!!
Thank you for this recipe, looks amazing as usual Angela :)

71 Emilia @ Namaste Gurl August 10, 2011

As always, looks amazingly yummy Angela! Can’t wait to make this for the fam, or maybe just for myself :) Carrot- coconut is one of my favorite combos. What fun it will be to further get creative with this buckwheat porridge!

72 Sarah with Veggie Kids August 10, 2011

Okay, this is not related to this lovely post, but I just saw that you’re Glo Bakery is up for a Veggie Award on Veg New’s site for best online bakery?? I voted for you!!

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

74 Nicole @sugarcoatedsisters August 10, 2011

I’ve been doing the same thing with Kamut Puffs, except I use Chocolate Protein Powder!!! LOVE IT!

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

mmm that sounds awesome :)

76 Char August 10, 2011

Your posts always make me laugh! You’re adorable <3

I can't wait to try these!! Carrot cake & chocolate puff cereal for breakkie?? Yes, pwease!! :D

77 Jackie @ That Deep Breath August 10, 2011

What an awesome idea to add carob powder to Kamut Puffs! I can’t wait to try that…maybe it’ll help end my obsession with cocoa puffs.

78 Christabel August 10, 2011

I really want to try buckwheat groats again but last time they were so horrible! I made them similar to quinoa and the texture AND flavor were really awful. I mean AWFUL.

Do you promise they’re better this way?

79 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 10, 2011

I thought the same when I first tried them too, until I realized that they were kasha grouts (roasted version and absolutely disgusting!).

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

^^ Agree about kasha. I hate buckwheat toasted or cooked usually!

Raw buckwheat groats have a much more milder flavour. Thats why I love them in this raw no cook version.

81 Tiff @ Love, Sweat, and Beers August 10, 2011

I don’t think I have the energy to put that much work into dinner, much less breakfast! Will you come cook for me for a week??? :)

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

I make it the night before- it takes me 10 minutes to whip up, no joke.

83 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) August 10, 2011

Oh my. You did it again. That buckwheat porridge seems like a little bit of heaven! And thpse Kamut Puffs look delicious too!
I’m glad you enjoy your breakfast every day now :).

84 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit August 10, 2011

I still haven’t tried this, gah I have to! We love buckwheat at our house, and so do the puppies!

85 Kelly August 10, 2011

These sound great. I’m always looking for healthy substitutes for my kids, I think they’ll love the Cocoa Puff knock-off! Just found your site, love it!

86 Ellie@fitforthesoul August 10, 2011

Ohhh I’ve been wanting to try millet and kamut puffs–they look so good! Your recipe looks like it’d be to die for~~creamy goodness mmmmmm

87 Lia August 10, 2011

I’ve been hoarding buckwheat groats for so long and M glad you have now provided me with a great way to put them to good use. Do they go bad after a while, or would they still be good if I stored them in a ziplock for 2 years? I love your creative breakfasts!

88 Shayla @ The Good Life August 10, 2011

Can I just tell you how much I loved this post…not only for the amazing faux coco puffs ;), but the part about skipping breakfast and the way it made you feel resonates with me so much. Every part you described about how it made you feel and eating nothing while working out so intensely, I totally relate to that and used to do that to a T.

Now that I’m healthier and have overcome my eating disorder and have brought back amazing breakfasts (and food!) to my life, I have never been happier. You’re such an inspiration and in the past when I was struggling, you’re blog helped me see that light :)

89 Katrina August 10, 2011

This is such an awesome breakfast idea. Yum!

90 Kim @ Imperfectly Perfect August 10, 2011

Can you just adopt me? I promise never to skip one of your meals. ;)

91 Moni'sMeals August 10, 2011

Oh Wow, 2 Fantastic Breakfasts’… what did we do to deserve this! what a treat and I have everything to make both, woohoo! Thanks Angela!

Breakfast is my favorite meal for sure. I love your honesty, I could not imagine skipping it!

92 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes August 10, 2011

I legit make your carrot cake oatmeal once a week! I love it with tons of maple syrup and raisins! This naturally looks addictive, fantastic and AMAZING all at once. Well done!! haha :)

93 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

Wow thats awesome! I love it on colder days :)

94 caroline August 10, 2011

I love those Kamut Puffs too! They’re a great topping for yogurt, or as part of a trail mix, to add bulk. I just love the crunch!

95 Grace August 10, 2011

The porridge looks fantastic! I’ve been thinking about trying a raw and gluten-free cleanse so this is perfect. Thanks, Angela! : )

96 Emily @ Comfortable Home Life August 10, 2011

BAH! I have seriously been craving chocolate the past few days. Get me to the Kamut Puffs.. stat!

97 kaila @ healthy helper! August 10, 2011

This is my favorite recipe post of yours EVER! Right from the title I knew it would be! You basically covered all my favorite foods!! I already love your buckwheat porridge…but carrot cake flavor just takes it over the top! And I am totally the CAROB queen!! I put it on everything!!!

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

awwww too kind Kaila!

99 Emilie August 10, 2011

This dish is going to make me start eating breakfast…5 times a day! What a gorgeous photo. I am literally salivating over here! Bravo.

100 Joyce @ Jranola Joyce August 10, 2011

Kamut! chocolate!
amazing.
thanks for the great post!

101 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) August 10, 2011

These look fantastic! Though I usually start my day with a smoothie, I would definitely cheat on my green monster with these babies. Yum!

xo

102 Katie August 10, 2011

OMG!!
I JUST bought those exact kamut puffs at Whole Foods today, then read that post about an hour later!! So then I just had to have a bowl of kamut puffs with chocolate milk for dessert.
And it was pretty good! :)

103 Amber August 10, 2011

I’m going to give this a try sometime. I really, really love buckwheat. Last time I went shopping, I bought five bags of it. I try to eat it every morning for breakfast because it makes me feel really good. I really feel like it enhances my mood somehow. Maybe it’s the tryptophan in it? That converts into 5-HTP, and then into serotonin. It also contains B vitamins, which are good for the mood.

My current favourite way to eat buckwheat: 1/2 cup dry buckwheat and then cooked, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1 splash rose water and 1 organic kiwi chopped (with skin on). Mix up and nom :D

I like to eat the groats whole because they have a neat texture, but I’m going to give this a try sometime. It looks fun and tasty!

I usually use carob powder in smoothies :o

104 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 10, 2011

Mm that all look soo good! I love carob.

105 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 10, 2011

To this day your carrot cake oats are my favorite breakfast!

I recently discovered you can also make bulgur raw and have been soaking it for 15 mins for breakfast. I’m going to try it carrot-style now!

106 Rebecca August 10, 2011

I love puffed kamut!! Especially mixing it with other sweeter cereals. It’s great for bulking up cereal bowls. Now I’ve GOT to try it with carob powder…Cocoa Puffs were an obsession in an earlier life :D

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2011

same! heh

108 val August 10, 2011

MMMMM, buckwheat is soaking. Can’t wait to try this for breakfast tomorrow. BTW, you looked beautiful at the wedding.

109 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 10, 2011

I love breakfast so much that even during the worst of my ED, I still didn’t skip it. If that ain’t love, I don’t know what is. :P

This recipe looks amazing! I love your hot carrot cake oatmeal, so I’m sure this is just as good. I’m so glad I finally found raw buckwheat groats at the Oakville WF.

(Speaking of WF, have you checked out the new one in Mississauga yet? It just opened today and I’m dying to go!)

110 Cathy August 10, 2011

Love this combo, i sometimes use raw Caoao powder, Nature’s Path rice puffs, and drizzle a little maple or yacon syrup over the mixture. Tasty treat! Love Almond Breeze Almond Milk – big fan for the last 5 years.

111 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts August 10, 2011

I just discovered puffed kamut last week :D I’ve added it to my collection of puffed cereals. It’s winning as the best of the lot at the moment!

112 Leslie August 10, 2011

This post just made me extremely hungry. That buckwheat porridge looks awesome! I will most definitely be making that very soon. The carob puff cereal reminds me of the days when I used to be addicted to Cocoa Crispies cereal, the one that turned the milk into chocolate milk. This looks like the perfect fix for a not so healthy, but much healthier than the alternative, treat.

Oh, and I did try making the pizza dough using all whole wheat flour and it did not turn out too good. It wasn’t the denseness of the dough but the overall flavor that left much to be desired. Maybe next time I’ll try making it following your recipe exactly…or maybe I’ll just use a whole wheat tortilla or wrap. I think part of the problem was my dough making abilities :)

113 laura August 10, 2011

Breakfast is most definatley the best meal of the day!
You set some marvelous examples :)
Can’t wait to try them.

114 Aimee (I Tri To Be Me) August 10, 2011

Oh my god, that looks and sounds delicious! If I hadn’t run out of soymilk today I would totally be making these for breakfast tomorrow!!

115 Jin @ Health Ninja August 11, 2011

uh those pictures looks just yum! first I thought those are the carrot cake bites, which I discovered in the blogworld and am just addicted since. But this Porridge looks also great – I have to find some raw buckwheat now, so that I can try it!

116 Hayley @ Oat Couture August 11, 2011

Mmmh I forgot to put a new carton of soya milk in the fridge last night and looking at these pics I reaaaally want breakfast now! Damn my lack of organisation! :/ Great looking carrot cake buckwheat porridge btw!! :) Right, I’m off to put the milk in the freezer, see if that speeds things up! ;)

117 Jenn August 11, 2011

Dear Angela,

I just want to say that I’ve been going through a pretty tough time recently. My life seemed to be in order and I was achieving what I wanted and then everything was turned upside down. I am trying not to think about the past and concentrate on the future, some days are so much easier than others, other days I wonder how I’m going to get through things. I know that I can go to your blog for inspiration when I am down, it’s good to know that everybody has down days from time to time, I do like to think of myself as a positive person. Keep up the good work.

118 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 11, 2011

Thank you Jenn. I wish you all the best with your difficult time. I know things will work out for you…keep the faith!

119 Meredith August 11, 2011

Mmmm that carob puff cereal looks sooo good, I’m addicted to carob this summer… I think I almost like it more than chocolate now! Never thought I’d say that :).

120 Jesse August 11, 2011

I have bought the Kamut Puff cereal and by its self its so bland, its a great idea to add some carob powder. I just had an idea, if you add chocolate protein powder instead of carob powder you wouldn’t be able to eat 85-95 bowls a day but it would be a lot more filling and maybe qualify as breakfast!

I have also been meaning to make your buckwheat Porridge but I too have run out of groats, I’ll have to pick some up soon. I have been sprinkling them on top of my VOO for a little added crunch.

121 Jennifer August 11, 2011

This look so good … just made your porridge the other day ! I am about to soak a new batch so I can have this for breakfast in the morning :) Thanks !!

122 marla {family fresh cooking} August 11, 2011

That buckwheat porridge looks AMAZING! Love all the fresh fruit on top too :)

123 Kate August 11, 2011

I didn’t really see anyone comment about making the carrot cake buckwheat porridge and its turnout so I thought I would.
I just made it and it’s pretty good, but I had to add more maple syrup to it, and I found that there was a bit too much spice, especially the nutmeg. I love buckwheat but even after blending it for a long time, I found the grittiness rather unpleasant. I’m vegan and familiar with raw food but I probably wouldn’t make this specific recipe again (I’ll probably make the oatmeal version which I’m sure is to die for!) Still, it’s a pretty neat recipe. For pics and review on it, you can hop over to my healthy vegan food blog UnReFiNeD http://nocrapdiet.wordpress.com to check it out.
Thanks again Angela for your recipes and your inspiration!
I really love your blueberry maple muffins!

124 eva @5fruitsNveggies August 11, 2011

yes your raw buckwheat porridge has been a mainstay in our family…i even got my 9 & 7 year old loving it!

125 Maura August 11, 2011

Ok stupid question…but how do you cook buckwheat groats? I have to find them first…that should be a challenge and a half! I am still searching high and low for umeboshi plums….any idea where in NB you can get these? ANyone?

126 Christine August 12, 2011

Hey Mary, are you near a Whole Foods or Mrs. Green’s? I’ve found the plums at both locations. I live in NY and have a lot of options, what’s available near you?

127 Christine August 12, 2011

Sorry Maura! Misread your name, my apologies.

128 Elizabeth August 11, 2011

I love sprouted buckwheat. I make carob buckwheat crunchies for toppings. Just posted about one recipe a day ago. Yummy!!
Peace & Raw Health,
Elizabeth

129 cinnEMon August 11, 2011

I love kamut puffs with almond milk for a snack. I usually add cinnamon, but I am going to try the carob powder. Sounds delish!

130 Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine August 11, 2011

Holy. mole.

Why did I never think of that?!

I was just waiting to hear…………….

“I’m cuckoo for Kamut puffs! I’m cuckoo for Kamut puffs!”

I hear that requires step 2 of the intervention phase though ;)

131 michelle August 11, 2011

This looks so good but I happen to have a huge container of kasha right now. Do you think I could sub the Kasha for Buckwheat?

132 maggie August 12, 2011

Made your recipe of carrot cake today!!! Thanks sooooo much.

Please check it out, I changed a few things

Maggie

133 Andrea August 13, 2011

I’ve had this…two days in a row. And I’ve already made one for tomorrow morning.

I didn’t have buckwheat on hand, so I used rolled oats. And I didn’t have carrots, so I’ve been using fruit, blending it with the oats, not grating it. And I’ve been using flaxseed instead of chia, because I have no chia.

But I LOVE it. The thickness, the sweet spices, the wholesomeness, the way it makes my belly feel content.

Yesterday, I added a large handful of spinach. Looks funny, but tastes the same. I like having greens in the morning if it fits inside my breakfast, just incase I don’t get to eat them later in the day.

Yumyumyumyumyum! Thanks so much for the inspiration…
But now I don’t know how I’ll ever have another kind of breakfast, ever. Nothing else sounds and tastes as good as this!

134 Meghanne August 13, 2011

Ha ha, I do the same thing but with Natures Path puffed brown rice or corn and Vega choc-o-lot instant smoothie. Sinless and delightfully healthy.

135 Amy August 14, 2011

I just had this for breakfast and it’s amazing! Thank you for your awesome breakfast recipes! They brighten my life:-)

136 Sara August 15, 2011

Loved the carrot cake taste and the crunch, thanks! My immersion blender was a good tool for this, I could blend some, not all of the buckwheat groats in the same bowl, so less to clean up. Will enjoy several days of breakfast with this, I think.

137 Marianne August 19, 2011

Definitely loving the looks of the carrot cake buckwheat porridge.

138 Hannah September 20, 2013

I’m sorry, but I’m currently suffering from anorexia nervosa, and this part:

“I used to be a chronic breakfast skipper for most of my life. Occasionally, I would have a piece of fruit for breakfast, but it had to be under 100 calories or I would tick off my eating disorder. Most mornings, I would endure a grueling 60 minute high-intensity workout without eating a single bite.”

is extremely triggering for us trying to recover.

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 22, 2013

Hi Hannah, I’m so sorry that my story was not very sensitive to those still suffering. Reading it over now, I do see your point. I have edited my post to be less triggering.

140 Miz Pat May 27, 2014

A little late to the party, but just wanted to say the buckwheat porridge is *excellent*! I did add a bit of salt, but the porridge was pretty tasty even without salt. Thanks for the recipe!

141 Bob Landry April 3, 2015

I was wondering if any grain would work with the carrot cake porridge like wheat berries or whole oat groats. I hate hate hate the taste of cooked buckwheat. Perhaps it’s not so bad raw like that.