Our Perfect Veggie Burger

IMG 8700   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

For the past several months, I’ve been on a quest to make a veggie burger that had everything on our wish list. I’ve probably made over 100 veggie burgers and they all came up short, either by just a tiny bit or by a landslide.

I’m always asked what I do with failed recipes and my answer is usually the same- I eat them! An imperfect veggie burger crumbled over a salad is quite tasty. Same goes for a doughy muffin crumbled over a bowl of Vegan Overnight Oats. Unless something I make is really gross, I eat it.

However, I am picky about three things:

1) The recipes that I post on the blog

2) Homemade Veggie burgers

3) Tying my running shoes before a run (I always stop once to re-tie them, lol)

Now you know. :)

IMG 8792   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Eric and I put together a ‘must-have’ list of requirements during our mission. Veggie burgers are serious business around here and we have quite a checklist. ;)

Our veggie burger must haves:

• Can’t be mushy in the middle (the problem I have the most)
  • Crispy outer shell
  • Lots of flavour from fresh herbs & spices
  • No tofu (not a fan)
  • Crunchy, chewy texture is a must
  • No cracking or falling apart (another common problem)
  • Must cook well 3 ways: frying pan, oven, and BBQ
  • Could make a grown man shed a tear of joy (ok, that was my requirement, heh)

If one of those elements is missing, the recipe is as dead to me as the burgers flippin’ on the McDonald’s grill!

IMG 8653   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After writing about my most recent Lemon Rosemary burger fail (that drove me to make PB Crunch Blizzards), I received an email from a lovely reader named Jenny who must have known that I was one failed veggie burger short of being buckled into a straitjacket.

Jenny writes, “After reading your post today, which has me day-dreaming about cookie dough blizzards by the way, I wanted to share with you the best veggie burger recipe our family has come across (even my meat-lovin’ husband requests them from time to time!). The recipe is from the Whitewater ski area in Nelson, BC and hasn’t failed us yet. It isn’t vegan but I’m sure you can work your magic to make it so.”

Isn’t Jenny great?

IMG 8655   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

After reading Jenny’s email, I flew into the kitchen so fast my processor spun. I figured there was a 0.0002% chance they would work, so I was quite hopeful.

As luck would have it, magic did happen in my kitchen that fateful evening as Eric patiently awaited the outcome, fearing he’d be served yet another bowl of cereal.

He wasn’t. :)

IMG 8682   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

These burgers take a good 30 minutes of prep work, but the extra effort really paid off. You could also double this batch and freeze the leftovers for quick weeknight meals!

IMG 8652   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

This veggie burger ‘dough’ is so good to eat straight from the bowl! Another thing I learned during my mission: if the ‘dough’ doesn’t wow you, the burgers won’t either. Don’t be afraid to adjust the seasonings to taste.

For my first trial, I didn’t process the oats into a flour and they didn’t hold together very well when frying. For my second trial, I used oat flour instead of whole oats and they held together very well!

Before baking in the oven:

IMG 8654   Our Perfect Veggie Burger
I love my silpat, but you can also use parchment paper.

After baking for 20 mins. on each side…crispy and golden!

IMG 86551   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Our preferred method of cooking is on the skillet, fried in a bit of oil. The burgers get this crispy shell similar to a hash brown! We already have plans to fry the ‘dough’ in a skillet for breakfast.

IMG 8788   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

We also tried them on the BBQ, which also worked well. Pre-cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes first to firm them up a bit.

IMG 8666   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Then I raided the garden…

IMG 8705   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the side, kale chips and ketchup.

IMG 8713   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

On the burgers, we had homemade BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomatoes. The second night, we had guacamole and pico de gallo on top- incredible!

IMG 8686   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

I hope you love ‘em too!

IMG 8704   Our Perfect Veggie Burger

Don’t forget, this morning is the last chance to enter the Glo bar Giveaway! (Your comments are amazing by the way)

Zestful Lou July 13, 2011

Oh yes!!!!! I’ve been dying to make a big batch of veggie burgers to keep on hand for a quick snack or meal!! These are on this week’s “to-do” list! Thanks :-)

WIERDGREENMAN July 13, 2011

These look like an updated version of what’s on the market! No more cardboard, hello a good veggie burger! Thanks.

Liz @ Blog is the New Black July 13, 2011

These look hearty and amazing!

Zestful Lou July 13, 2011

Hahaha….now I’m just staring at the pictures in a daze and my mouth is literally watering.
P.S. I just took the last of my oil-free zucchini walnut loaf out of the freezer and enjoyed it for breakfast. Another great recipe…Thanks X 2!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

Glad you liked the loaf!
The pics make me hungry for one too…sadly we’re out!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday July 13, 2011

AWESOME!
Thanks for sharing!!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure July 13, 2011

Oh this look delish, totally whipping them up this week – Thanks Angela!

Mikayla July 13, 2011

These sound delicious! I hate how some veggie burgers have no protein in them, but with all the beans and seeds, these must be loaded! Can’t wait to try!!

Lesley Lifting Life July 13, 2011

These look awesome!! Definitely going to have to try these babies out :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 13, 2011

These look ridiculously good! I am picky about my burgers too – definitely can’t have the mush in the middle. The other day I made an Asian-inspired version that was really good (http://wp.me/p16jDn-Ae).

I used quinoa flakes in them and I think the secret is using some sort of bread substance – like the flakes or what you did here with the oats/bread.

Molly @ RDexposed July 13, 2011

The mushy inside! I haven’t conquered that one yet. Hopefully practice makes perfect!

Rhona July 13, 2011

Ok, Angela! You keep giving me so many recipes to bookmark and try. I cannot wait to try this recipe! I love a good bean veggie burger as I actually love the soft middle (only made at home bc I hate all the crap in processed store bought varieties) so this recipe will be a nice addition. And, the health meter on these bad boys looks extremely high. Um, excellent for the bod and tasty too. This is why I love your site.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

Enjoy :)

Cait's Plate July 13, 2011

That’s like the EXACT dinner I was dreaming of having tonight! I’m dying to make my own veggie burgers (I’m not sure why I haven’t yet, it’s really sad!). I bought kale last night and am going to be venturing into the world of kale chips – SO excited!!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy July 13, 2011

These look delicious! I have been wondering how to make a good homemade veggie burger! I guess I will need to try making these soon!

Kerry July 13, 2011

Is there a substitute for the flax eggs? Can we use regular eggs?

Rachel July 13, 2011

I’m wondering the same thing.. I’m sure we can, I just want to know how many. This recipe looks delicious!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

Yup! I would guess 2 regular eggs *should* work.

Kerry July 13, 2011

I will let you know once I try it out!!

Lungs July 17, 2011

I made this with three medium eggs and it worked beautifully. Thanks for a spectacular recipe! We had them plain one night and in mushroom cheeseburgers tonight – both were delicious. I really like the texture.

Lynne July 13, 2011

I was just going to ask the same thing! No offense intended, but I’d rather use regular eggs. Would I use two?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

no offense taken, dont worry!!
2 eggs should work

Lenna July 13, 2011

Those look amazing! Thank you, I am always on the search for a perfect veggie burger! :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 13, 2011

Those look delicious! I love crunchy, flavorful veggie burgers too.

Donna @ Life of a Happy Blonde July 13, 2011

Oh my gosh, these look perfect
Crispy shell is SO necessary
Can’t wait to try this recipe out Angela, thanks for the many hours of sweat and tears to find the perfect veggie burger :)

Yolie @ Practising Wellness July 13, 2011

Wow, these look so good! I had the most amazing black bean burger and sweet potato/quinoa burger in Wholefoods, London (England not Canada!) and since then I have been craving another fresh burger feast…this recipe should do the trick! :-) xyx

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 13, 2011

Oooh yum these look great Ange! I love your criteria for a good burger too, especially the last point!! I haven’t been a fan of the store-bought veggie burgers I’ve tasted, and the ones I try to make usually either have the cracking problem (especially when made with chickpeas) or the mushy problem (especially if made with beans!) I’m glad to hear these work! :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 13, 2011

I’m glad you found a winning recipe! I love the picture of the bbq sauce/ketchup/tomatoes oozing out over the burger — it makes me want to take a big bite!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 13, 2011

Those do look like the perfect veggie burgers – I always have trouble with mine crumbling or being mushy! Those look fantastic!

Karen July 13, 2011

In the pictures it looks like there are whole oats in the mixture but there isn’t whole oats ‘(just ground ones) in the recipe. Maybe I am wrong…?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

My first trial used whole oats, 2nd trial used oat flour (process whole oats). Use oat flour :)

Sarah K. July 20, 2012

So is it a cup of oat flour, or a cup of oats ground down, which would make less flour? If I already have the flour how much do I use?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

I used 1 cup of rolled oats and ground it into a flour. You can also use 1 cup + 1 tbsp oat flour.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2011

These sound amazing!!!! I wonder how it would taste subbing in cannelini beans and then basil…I’ll have to try it!! And the original too, of course :D

Krystina (Organically Me) July 13, 2011

These are the prettiest veggie burgers I’ve ever seen!

Faith @ For the Health of It July 13, 2011

I’m the same way about eating “failed” cooking and baking projects – unless it’s truly horrendous, I re-purpose it somehow or suck it up and chow down! My budget doesnt really allow for throwing away gobs of food, and I love that you don’t waste yours either!

These look absolutely jam-packed full of goodness! If you had to take a guess, do you have any idea how much protein these babies have going on? I’m looking to up my intake and these sound like an awesome whole-foods way to do it :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

im not sure….maybe I will calculate the nutritional info at some point!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 13, 2011

I love that there are so many veggies in that veggie burger! A lot of times, I feel like they’re lacking (like if there’s really only one veggie in there). I can’t wait to try these!!

Sarah July 13, 2011

Oh, my goodness, I got all excited when I read the part about your reader’s meat-loving husband eating these veggie burgers from time to time. THAT is music to my ears!

kaila @ healthy helper! July 13, 2011

These look absolutely amazing! OMG look at that texture! WOW! Certainly a winner. Book marking this right now!

Jennifer@ knackfornutrition July 13, 2011

I can’t wait to try these out and freeze some for quick work meals! Also, your photography is just stunning. I’m constantly in awe of how you make everything look so gorgeous!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

Thanks Jennifer :)

Mika April 30, 2012

Do I freeze these raw or cooked? if cooked how long and what method? Thanks. I am new to your blog and and am looking forward to trying these.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 30, 2012

I think you can freeze them raw, thaw in fridge or at room temp, and cook as usual. I also think you can freeze them already cooked (for both: double wrapped and put in air tight container), but I would imagine they wouldnt last quite as long in the freezer.

Mika April 30, 2012

Sorry, I didn’t see your answer. Do you think I can still freeze them raw with the “real’ eggs in them? They really are good and I am quite proud of myself. I have not eaten meat for 40 years and these blogs are really helping me with new ideas.

eristeleute July 7, 2012

@Mika: I include egg in my variation of the veggie burger recipe here (http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Village-Whiskey-Veggie-Burger-62562777.html), and I freeze it with no problems. I form each patty and wrap it in plastic wrap, then stack and freeze them flat in large glass containers or Ziploc bags. I defrost them in the fridge or, in a pinch, quickly in the microwave. I always polish them off in under a month or so, though, so I can’t be sure how long they’ll keep in the freezer.

Mika April 30, 2012

Ok, so I made these tonight and they are as good as all the pics! My question remains about freezing them, I did use 2 “real” eggs. Thanks!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 13, 2011

I knew you would find the perfect veggie burger recipe! This looks fantastic and I can’t wait to try them! I would never have thought to add the nuts and seeds!

….and good call putting ketchup on the kale chips — that’s another must try for sure!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 13, 2011

I’ve never seen veggie burger dough look so good before. These are definitely a must try!

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 13, 2011

These look awesome! I’m always on the hunt for new veggie burgers, and my criteria is pretty similar to yours. I think homemade veggie burgers are so much better than boxed ones.

Lindsey @ Why Just Eat July 13, 2011

I have always wanted to make my own veggie burgers, but most of the recipes I’ve seen have things in them that scare me. This recipe has stuff that I already have in my kitchen – perfect!! They are going on tonight’s dinner menu :)

Nicole July 13, 2011

Ooohhh….this recipe sounds epic! I’ve been craving veggie burgers lately, but have the same frustrations–mushy middle, can only be cooked in one fashion. I look forward to testing out this recipe!

Jessica July 13, 2011

These look really tasty – and soo healthy!

Madelaine @ Healthy, Hot and Happy July 13, 2011

These look great Angela!

JenATX July 13, 2011

Is it too much to ask for the burgers to taste like meat also? lol… hamburgers are the one thing I really crave since going vegetarian. If you’re ever in the LA area, there is a place called Umami Burger that has THE most amazing veggie burger.. & it even tasted like meat! I didn’t secretly envy my family members’ burgers as we ate like I normally do because this burger was so darn good.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

haha yea some people would like that as well…Im personally not a fan of meat taste anymore. I stopped craving it after a few months.

Charlie July 13, 2011

It’s been so long since I’ve made veggie burgers! These are definitely on my must-make-soon list!!

jane July 13, 2011

is that you in the banner?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 13, 2011

yup :)

Jenna July 13, 2011

this looks amazing angela!! I just might have to whip up a batch of these for dinner tonight! :) thanks

Sue Lindbo April 20, 2012

I input the recipe in MyFitnessPal.com and here is the calories and nutrition info on the veggie burgers based on 8 burgers. Calories 214, Carbs 12, Fat 11, Protein 9, Sodium 405, Fiber 6. I used canned black beans so the sodium would be reduced drastically if you used cooked black beans as per the recipe.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2012

Thanks Sue that is nice to you to share!

Page 1 of 1312345»...Last »