Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch ‘Blizzard’

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on July 7, 2011

Last night, I made a new veggie burger recipe.

IMG_8552

Don’t get too excited though, they were crap. I’m super picky when it comes to veggie burgers and I rarely meet one that I’m happy with.

Eric goes, ‘They’d be good without all the lemon…’

‘They are rosemary lemon burgers.’

‘Oh…hah’

Fail.

I also won’t tell you that I had to skin my rosemary plant to get enough leaves for the recipe. I’m pretty sure it’s going to die today in protest.

IMG_8193

However, I redeemed myself with this salad made with garden romaine lettuce! It was the freshest romaine I’ve ever laid eyes on or tasted. And most importantly, I grew it!

IMG_8505

We currently have romaine lettuce coming out of the wazoo. I’m thinking a salad party is in store. Sadly, I think it will just be me attending.

But still, dinner left us wanting more. Half eaten crap lemon burgers and salad just wasn’t enough to tame our hunger monsters.

I had to pull out a secret weapon…

IMG_8539

Cookie Dough balls. 5 minutes to whip up. Instant gratification.

IMG_8561

And then I did something really crazy…because it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!

IMG_8590

Meet the Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch ‘Blizzard’ in all its crunchy, crispy, creamy, and peanut buttery glory.

IMG_8583

The Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Blizzard put me up to it of course.

IMG_2985-4

This was my best idea all week. Actually, it was the only successful recipe I’ve had all week. Last night, I decided if I had one more recipe fail this week, I was going to have to hire a ghost chef for the blog.

I’m happy to say this was not made by a ghost chef.

It was all me, baby. All me. And you can thank me this weekend when you are sitting on your porch in a state of Blizzard induced bliss.

IMG_8580

Peanut Butter Chocolate Crunch Blizzard for 2 (GF + Vegan)

• 3 large frozen bananas (or your favourite ice cream- it would be good with coconut bliss!)
  • 1 heaping tbsp peanut butter
  • 2-3 balls, to pulse into soft serve
  • 2 balls to crumble on top

Directions: To make this dreamy delight, grab a few frozen bananas and process them in a food processor with a heaping tablespoon of peanut butter. Once the mixture is creamy like soft serve, add in a few peanut butter balls and pulse until chunky. Scoop this mixture into a small glass and top with crumbled cookie dough balls. Serves 2.

IMG_8581

More blizzard for you.

It will be our little secret. ;)

IMG_8587-2

Best of all, we forgot all about the crap lemon burgers and the skinned rosemary plant, as we sat on the deck watching the sun bid farewell to this hot summer day.

IMG_8595

But an important question remains: What Blizzard flavour should I tackle next?

Casey Lorraine July 7, 2011 at 9:32 am

A very important and necessary question of course! ;)
Mmmm well I made something similar with an avocado raspberry chocolate raw ice cream and put little raw “candy crumbles” through it – a recipe of mine involving hazelnuts, goji berries, lime and vanilla….so amazing!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

mmm that sounds incredible!

Marie July 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

wow – please share!!

Lisa July 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

I can’t wait to try this blizzard!

Christina July 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

I vote for an oreo blizzard! :)

Steph July 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I second the Oreo Blizzard vote!

Ashley July 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

Nailed it!!! Love that you used the banana soft serve. My favorite is mixing that with PB and now with doughballs inside??? I can’t even imagine. Sadly, my favorite Blizzard was strawberry banana. hahaha

Ashley July 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

*Not too exciting to recreate that one!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

haha! strawberry cheesecake perhaps?

Julie @ Shining From Within July 7, 2011 at 10:01 am

yes! or remember those Good Humor strawberry shortcake ice pops? Make one like that with all the crunchy/strawberry topping. MmMmMmM *drool*

Nikki July 14, 2011 at 10:00 am

Yes….strawberry shortcake blizzard….YUM!!!

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove July 7, 2011 at 9:38 am

Ooo – make a cookies and creme blizzard! Or maybe a mint chocolate chip version. Cleary, I have a cookie craving.

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) July 7, 2011 at 9:40 am

cookies and cream!!! or choco-mint. MMMMMM.

Kris | iheartwellness.com July 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

You are too stinking cute!! Your blah burgers I bet were still so tasty ;)
The blizzard looks FAN Fricken TASTIC!!! OMG! Growing up my fav blizzards were Oreo, Smartie and Skor……swoon!

Anything with crushed cookies gets me ;) Love it!
xoo

[email protected] DiVa DiSh July 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

I think veggie burgers are super hard to make. That being said, yours look delicious, and I LOVE the idea of Lemon-rosemary burgers…BUT, I think I would Take a PB blizzard any day :)
Your amazing Angela, and an inspiration to many! Don’t let a couple failed recipes let you down :)
And the next blizzard..hmm..Maybe a fudge brownie :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 9:44 am

I agree they are very hard to get perfect! im also super picky when it comes to veggie burgers. I dont like them too soft in the middle and I like a crisp exterior.

Janet July 7, 2011 at 9:41 am

Something with caramel!

Maria July 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

Oreo blizzard, please! I know you have a vegan oreo cookie up your sleeve somewhere :)

Sarah July 7, 2011 at 9:42 am

What a great idea!! I think I know what I’m having for dessert tonight! And such a cute presentation of it. I love those little spoons. You always have the cutest dishes and silverware.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen July 7, 2011 at 9:43 am

I feel the same way about most veggie burgers I make. They’re always edible but never “wow”. Who knew veggie burgers could be so tough!?

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday July 7, 2011 at 9:44 am

Those would be awesome with toffee peanuts or peanut brittle on top!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit July 7, 2011 at 9:44 am

haha I use your secret ALL the time! When I make something super tasty (and healthy) I tell my bf what’s in it and he runs away. Mwaha. If only he knew how delicious it was.
I hope your rosemary plant makes it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

im pretty sure its going to bite the dust!

Girl in the pink July 7, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Same with my husband!! I just serve him food and tell him not to ask questions – he always ends up liking it! Except quinoa and cous cous, he can’t get on board with those!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

LOL @ “half eaten crap lemon burgers.” Love. It.

From the looks of those balls, you totally redeemed yourself. :)

Emily July 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

Ohhh yum! I’ve never had a real blizzard but this is something I totally am going to try!

Jessica July 7, 2011 at 9:45 am

Mint please! If you do, I’ll never daydream of another blizzard again.

Lauren @ Lawfully Wedded Wife July 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

YUM, holy wow this looks so good. I used to love DQ Blizzards when I was a dairy person! Definitely will be trying this!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over July 7, 2011 at 9:46 am

Angela this looks fabulous! Can’t wait to try this :)

Abby July 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Hi Angela!

I love your blog! I just made the weekend glow kale salad and it was delicious!! :) I have a question for you – that isn’t related to this post – sorry :(…I’ve been interested in trying your Vegan Overnight Oats; I just bought some Chia Seeds at my Health Food Market. However, do you have to use the Amazing Grass powder? I’m in transition from an old job and cash is a bit tight. Also, I have some protein powder from a few months ago, would that work ok if I shouldn’t skip it?

Thanks for your help! I look forward to trying many more recipes!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 10:20 am

Nope you dont have to use any powder! I make it usually with just oats, chia seeds, almond milk, and a dash of maple syrup. You can add granola, nut butter, etc.

Abby July 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

Thank you!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 11:05 am

no prob :)

Sarah July 7, 2011 at 9:47 am

Yummy!! That blizzard looks phenomenal! I can’t wait to try it out this week :)
Now for the next blizzard question: I agree with most of the other posts and think you should try to tackle and Oreo Blizzard!
Good Luck I know you’ll be able to make the best tasting Vegan Oreo Blizzard EVER!

[email protected] July 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

Those look amazing!

Metaxia July 7, 2011 at 9:51 am

Love todays post! I actually giggled out loud. Blizzard idea… hmmmm… i would suggest something with a brownie type effect! Yum brownies! :)

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 7, 2011 at 9:53 am

I can’t believe you even thought twice about the burgers once you dreamed up this blizzard!

Ellen @ Undercover Runner Eats July 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

Please do a Strawberry Cheesecake Blizzard!

Laura July 7, 2011 at 9:54 am

HA! You are making me laugh this morning. It started with this “Don’t get too excited though, they were crap.” and continued with this…”it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!” In all seriousness though, the “balls” and blizzard look amazing. Is it bad that I’m supposed to go out for dinner with friends this evening but I might rather go home and make these…??

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn July 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

Um….YES. I LOVE YOU!!!!

Mel July 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

Oh I completely get that. I am a veggie burger snob lol I hate it when people rave about a really moist veggie burger and then it turns out the saharah has seen more water, it’s like come on people we’re competeing against steak here.

Zestful Lou July 7, 2011 at 9:55 am

I was thinking of making raw cookie dough to pack along on my climb up mt. Whitney this weekend (the highest mountain in the contiguous u.s.). Do you think it would hold up or just become mush?

amanda July 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

I’ll attend a salad party! NOTHING I love more than salad. Honestly. Is that weird?

Katie July 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

Oh my goodness, who needs dinner when you can have that for dessert??

Lindsey July 7, 2011 at 9:56 am

This looks AMAZING! I need to make this stat!

Geanna July 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

I would totally come to your salad party.

But seriously, a blizzard using the banana soft serve? Genius.

[email protected] July 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

Mint chocolate cookie blizzard, or Oreo Blizzard. PLEEEEEEASE.

Julie @ Shining From Within July 7, 2011 at 9:59 am

I so so need this in my life! I think I want to try your OG (original) blizzard first.

That helpful hint is SO SO true. Whenever I say something is vegan (no matter how ridicuously good/delicious it is/looks) NO ONE will eat it.

More for me… ;)

Sylvia @ LifeIsGoodWithFood July 7, 2011 at 10:00 am

I never had dough balls before but I’m definitely excited to try them out after seeing this recipe! Thank you :)

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat July 7, 2011 at 10:00 am

Dark chocolate and cherry blizzards! Or frozen pineapple chunks with Coconut Bliss!

Forget about the crap burgers. You have more than redeemed yourself with the blizzard.

Cait's Plate July 7, 2011 at 10:03 am

Oh my. They certainly don’t look like crap!!

I can’t even get over how much I want that blizzard up there! It would be so perfect on a hot hot day like today!! I’m going to have to try to recreate it!

annemarie July 7, 2011 at 10:07 am

hello angela – have you tried the chickpea burgers in the new Bill Granger cookbook http://www.amazon.com/Bill-s-Basics/dp/1844008436/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1310051085&sr=8-12 it is the best, I’ll email you the recipe if you wish! also wanted to say thanks for your blogpost yesterday am currently working from home sort of starting up a business and motivation is sometimes far to find!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

No I havent! Are they vegan?

annemarie July 8, 2011 at 6:55 am

sorry no they have eggs :( but maybe you can adapt the recipe. the ingredients are: 800g chickpeas (canned), 1teaspoon salt, handful of chopped coriander, handful chopped parsley, 3 spring onions, 2 teaspoons lemonpeel rasped, 1 red chili chopped, 120g breadcrumbs, 3 spoons EVOO as well as the 3 eggs. the mixture is quite runny (and would make a great dip) so I dont think they could work on the BBQ only in a grillpan. good luck!

Donna July 7, 2011 at 10:08 am

I love that you tell us about your fails as well as your successes :)
And i really love that there is no almonds in your recipe, for some reason i don’t like them in food just by themselves, lol!
Can’t wait to give this one a try, this weather is lovely AND a perfect excuse to eat cold treats every day!

Katie @ Finding My Om July 7, 2011 at 10:10 am

Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup! :)

My, that looks amazing and the burger actually sounds pretty tasty. :)

Ashley July 7, 2011 at 10:12 am

Love!! I can’t wait to try this– it’s so humid out today where we’re vacationing in Southern Utah that I feel I’m going to sit inside and hide until the sun goes down!

jenna July 7, 2011 at 10:14 am

oh my word! this looks amazing! i love your little secret as well!

Nikki T July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

mmmm….that looks amazing!
Mint Oreo is my favorite!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

First – I’ll come to your romaine party!! Can you imagine the fun that would be! hahaaaa :)

This sounds amazing!!

How about a scor blizzard – that was my very favorite! :)

Cat @Breakfast to Bed July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

I am going to make this tonight, and stir it into my SoCo coconut sorbet.

Jill in Chicago July 7, 2011 at 10:15 am

OH. MY. GOODNESS! This looks so much better than anything from a chain ice cream store!

Sara July 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

Ok…but those burgers were so pretty I would eat them anyway…or maybe just take more pictures.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan July 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

YUM!!!! This looks amazing.
I love the part about the crap lemon burgers and people running like hell. So funny! :-)

Amy July 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

I love the turtle blizzard. Chocolate, Carmel and Toasted Pecans!!! MMMM!!!

Dan July 7, 2011 at 10:21 am

That blizzard looks awesome. I’ve seen a few recipes using bananas as an ice-cream base but I’ve never tried it. I need to quit stalling.

Paije July 7, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’ve been eating tons of fresh romaine from my parent’s garden! I swear it tastes a 10000 times better when you grow it yourself :)
And SKOR blizzard for sure please!! I crave them all the time but all the sugar in them makes me craazy haha

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

Oh yuummmmm! Sounds delicious! My favourite Blizzard from DQ as a kid was either Oreo or Skor… but now I’m thinking that 22-year old Angela would be all over a Wethers Original (or some other type of butterscotch sweet) one!
And PS. I’ll happily join you for a salad party. ;)

Holly @ The Runny Egg July 7, 2011 at 10:33 am

My favorite blizzard is banana cream pie!!! Please make that next. Thank you! :)

This looks so good Angela, and I have a bunch of bananas ready to freeze and this is what I want to make out of them. Delicious.

Faith @ lovelyascharged July 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

My favorite was always the butterfinger blizzard – I’d love to see what you could do with that!

Christabel July 7, 2011 at 10:34 am

Hi Angela,

I’ve been a vegetarian my whole life and am SUPER picky about veggie burgers too. My nutritionist led me to my favorite veggie (and vegan!) burger recipe ever. It’s so good, so savory and delicious. These freeze really well too.
Toasted hazelnut burgers

Shanna, Like Banana July 7, 2011 at 10:36 am

Reeses PB Cup!

Carly July 7, 2011 at 10:40 am

Anything that doesn’t involve cashews! I’m so allergic, and these look deeeelish!

LizAshlee July 7, 2011 at 10:48 am

Your cookie dough blizzards are one of my FAVORITE! I made cookie dough balls last night for a treat and they were delicious! I used them to make chocolate chip cookie dough sandwiches, which I chilled in the freezer-OMG-amazing!

I really don’t know if you can top peanut butter & chocolate-this is perfection! I might have to think a little while on a flavor to top it…if there is one?!

Have a wonderful day!

LizAshlee
twitter.com/lizashleeblog

char @ char on a mission July 7, 2011 at 10:49 am

Oh boy…my taste buds are ready to be tantalized by this!!! Next blizzard creation (n my opinion): strawberry cheezecake!! Or I loved cotton candy. I wonder how you could create a vegan version of that!!!

Paula July 7, 2011 at 10:50 am

I have a suggestion for your romaine: JUICE IT! Well, eat your to your hearts content of salad but when you’ve had enough salad, make juice :) One part romaine to one part carrot is one of my favorite blends.

Oh, and I vote oreo blizzard. LOVE oreos, but I don’t love the refined flour and loads of sugar so I’d love to see them get a makeover. Whole grain oreo with less sugar?!? Yes please!

VeggieGirl July 7, 2011 at 10:51 am

Next blizzard flavor = something with CARAMEL, please! :)

kris (everyday oats) July 7, 2011 at 10:53 am

Bummer about the burgers because they really do sound SO delicious. I love veggie burgers but I think i love that blizzard more :)
Maybe a chocolaty blizzard or berry blizzard? Or maybe both?? Chocolate strawberry. Yum :)

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 7, 2011 at 10:58 am

girlfriiiend, you just made me SO hungry with those cookie dough balls. a must-try for me ASAP.

and the blizzard. I’m not sharing.

Bee Goes Bananas July 7, 2011 at 10:58 am

Wow, everything looks too good to eat!!

Alisha Abercrombie July 7, 2011 at 10:59 am

I was going to do peanut butter cup blizzards, since it’s my fav, with the recipe from the kind diet, but this seems much easier and just as delish! Maybe I’ll try both this week…

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race July 7, 2011 at 11:02 am

Ah, boo. Sorry the burgers didn’t turn out :( I bet they smelled amazing though! The salad looks perfect! I have the hardest time growing any kind of lettuce. (sad face)

Chloe (South Beach Girl) July 7, 2011 at 11:03 am

I’m going to have to try and make my own veggies burgers, that would be a great thing to bring to a BBQ!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite July 7, 2011 at 11:04 am

Wow, these blizzards look incredible! I cannot wait to try this out!

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa July 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

Delicious!

I think you should figure out how to create a strawberry cheesecake blizzard, or brownie batter. YUM!

Namaste Gurl July 7, 2011 at 11:07 am

Yum, yum and YUM! Somehow you always have me drooling when I visit your amazing blog :)
Sorry about the bad veggie burger turn out, but the dough balls and PB banana soft serve look excellent!

Mandiee July 7, 2011 at 11:10 am

Often the best creations come out of disaster…and I’m sure these blizzards are just that! I’m absolutely crazy for banana soft (especially with black bean brownie swirls). I will definitely look forward to your other veg burger attempts. And if all else fails, you can count me in on the salad party :D

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes July 7, 2011 at 11:12 am

The lemon-rosemary combo is usually a winner, sorry it was crap! I am freezing bananas NOW so I can make these later tonight haha. I would love to see a chocolate peppermint blizzard…hmmm :)

Natalie July 7, 2011 at 11:17 am

MINT CHOCOLATE!

Brooke July 7, 2011 at 11:21 am

Sounds like a WONDERFUL way to redeem a not-so-perfect meal!

Brooke Annessa
www.TheAnnessaFamily.blogspot.com

Beach Bum Beauty July 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

I could kiss you! I have just started gluten free and it’s so hard to find scrummy yummy desserts. Can we have some more please *pwitty* please? :-D

Aja July 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh yum! Sounds so delish. I love your “blizzard” recipes.

Kelsey July 7, 2011 at 11:29 am

you have more than made up for your burger fail with this!!! YUM!!!!!

kaila @ healthy helper! July 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

OMG….possibly your best recipe ever!?!?!?! These look AMAZING! Wow I am making this ASAP! Its so easy yet so sinfully delicious looking! Dairy Queen needs to hire you to create a new healthy line of treats LOL! But seriously….they should.

Jenny July 7, 2011 at 11:37 am

Brownie Blizzards for sure. Can’t seem to master a good vegan brownie recipe……I’m sure you could, though!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 7, 2011 at 11:40 am

Yum, I love your blizzard. I think they once had a coffee crisp one? Or maybe that was something else, but that would be awesome to recreate! I love coffee + ice cream :D

Cait @ Urban Fencepost July 7, 2011 at 11:41 am

I think you should make a thin mint blizzard!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

Yesssssssssssssssssssssss

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living July 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

Seeing as though I’ve made your CC Cookie Dough Blizzard about, oh, 10 times in the past couple of weeks, you can bet I’ll be making this PB version very soon!! Love it.

Hayley @ Oat Couture July 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

Oh my that blizzard looks like the shizz! I want!!! :) You totally redeemed yourself after the ‘crap’ burgers! haha!

Amber K July 7, 2011 at 11:45 am

OMG, this looks amazingly delicious!! Although, I tell my meat-loving husband things are vegan and gluten-free all the time and it never scares him off. That man will eat anything…ANYTHING!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living July 7, 2011 at 11:46 am

Quick question: did you add the peanut butter in with the maple syrup and vanilla for the balls?

Jackie @ That Deep Breath July 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

I would like to eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert please. everyday. I would love to see a cookies ‘n cream one!

Mymsie July 7, 2011 at 11:47 am

FitSugar is featuring one of your recipes today! http://www.fitsugar.com/Health-Benefits-Watermelon-Recipe-18160699?page=0,0,0#4 :)

lynne July 7, 2011 at 11:56 am

omg this looks amazing!!!! it’s not too hot here yet, but it’s never too early to eat one of these babies!!

Lindsay July 7, 2011 at 12:03 pm

“…because it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!”

My poor computer screen is drenched in water. I died laughing at this.

Someone said ‘thin mint’ blizzard, I say ‘samoa’ – coconut/chocolate/caramel…heaven

Morgan @ Operation Hot Mama July 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

You always have such cute dishes & silverware!!!

Amy July 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Can you use another nut instead of cashew for the cookie dough balls???

Ebbs July 7, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Wow…..those look so good. I will have to try this as a after dinner dessert.

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious July 7, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh {swoon}!! This looks amazing. My all-time fave blizzard is oreo — I will love you forever if you can come up with a healthier version :-)

Meredith July 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

OMG Angela that looks amazing! May have to make that this weekend! :)

An unrelated question: which of the Vega products is your favorite? I want to buy one to try out but I don’t want to waste money on one that’s not worth buying! Obviously, everyone’s test buds are different, but I think ours are pretty similar, based on reading your blog :).

Thanks!

Evan July 7, 2011 at 12:42 pm

While my favorite blizzard is chocolate with Reese’s PB cups, it would be quite a feat to recreate a vegan version of a Cheesequake blizzard! …I dare you to try it – I think you could do it! :)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} July 7, 2011 at 12:43 pm

An amazing dessert makes up for a subpar dinner any day! :-)

Tess July 7, 2011 at 12:45 pm

When you try a recipe and it fails, do you eat it anyway? What if it was enough servings for a few meals?

Often when I’m working on a recipe (especially baking) and it’s not quite right, I want to tweak-and-retry it right away while it’s still fresh in my head. But what do you do with all the not-so-great results? Toss them? Freeze them? Give them away?

Lauri (RedHeadRecipes.com) July 7, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I can’t wait to make your dough balls ;)

Cookie dough is my FAVORITE sweet treat!

Nikki July 7, 2011 at 12:54 pm

It’s been a salad party at my house lately. Can’t get enough. I’m one of those who gets really excited about salad.

OMG… I loved Blizzards when I was a kid. My fave was the peanut butter cup.

Daniel July 7, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Ha, it looks like Oreo blizzard will probably be the winner, but Butterfinger was always my favorite flavor/candy bar. *Sigh* What I wouldn’t give for a homemade vegan Butterfinger recipe that didn’t call for a crap ton of butter… :P

Urban Wife July 7, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Mint + chocolate blizzard!

Claire Smith July 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

I do the same thing when I have some delicious food that I don’t want to share! “Uh, this is vegan and has no refined sugars. You probably wouldn’t like it” Works like a charm! Haha.

thehealthyapron July 7, 2011 at 1:18 pm

Boy does that look amazing! I always love your recipes!

Roz July 7, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I haven’t had a blizzard in YEARS….and now I want one. But not a DQ blizzard, a “Glow Blizzard!”
Thanks for the recipe!! Sorry your veggie burgers were a bust. Looks must be decieving, because they LOOKED good. Oh well, can’t win ’em all. Have a great day Angela.

Rebecca July 7, 2011 at 1:28 pm

OH MY WORD. That right there is summer. That looks ten times better than the original. GAH I’m in love already! :)
The Oreo blizzard was always my favorite. Mmm…And now I am totally going to dig up the freezer for any ice cream remains!!

Julie July 7, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Thank you so much for these. I was just diagnosed with celiac and start my gf adventure today, so the timing was perfect. I must also tell you that I am really enjoying your tahini lemon dressing so much from your power lentil recipe. It is so delicious on kale. Keep the great recipes coming.

Joanne Hall July 7, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Just made the peanut butter chocolate crunch balls. My sons and I just wanted to say “Damn they’re good!!! Insanely good!!

Katherine July 7, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I think a berry blizzard should be next!

Callie July 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

This looks SOOO good! Perfect summer treat!!

Danielle July 7, 2011 at 2:01 pm

You should tackle Oreo next! That was my childhood favourite!

JenATX July 7, 2011 at 2:06 pm

if you throw a salad party I would definitely attend… sounds like a crazy good time haha

Beth (Well I'll Be) July 7, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Angela, this looks amazing! I’m going to make these tonight. You should try a brownie batter blizzard. I used to get those all the time in my college days.

Alyssa July 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm

This cracks me up . . .
“Helpful hint: If anyone in your home sees you eating this, tell them it’s Vegan and Gluten-Free and they will run like hell. ”

For a b-day party a couple of weeks ago I made your chocolate raspberry glazed cupcakes. Everyone was enjoying them and I said “yeah, and they are vegan”. I got some responses like “wow that is amazing”, “why did you have to tell us that” (???), and my favorite “so there is no meat in them”.

Sierra July 7, 2011 at 11:13 pm

LOL! THIS cracks me up! Thanks for sharing, Alyssa! :) :) :) :) :)

Nicole July 7, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I’m making this as soon as I get home! It’s been one of those days.

By the way, if you ever had a salad party, I’d love to join! :)

Beatrix July 7, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Oh my…is all I can say about that blizzard…guess what’ being served at my house this weekend :)

Ricki July 7, 2011 at 2:38 pm

You know, I would have been happy just with those balls. . . but in a blizzard? Well, perfection, indeed! Who needs burgers, anyway?? ;)

Jessica July 7, 2011 at 2:43 pm

This one recipe success overpowers your previous fails! a blizzard came and covered them all up-haha :) I unfortunately have never had a blizzard before, but I can volunteer a request you try something minty? and maybe with chocolate? Oh, oh, how about chocolate with newman’s own “oreos”?!

Kristen Waby July 7, 2011 at 2:47 pm

I’m so glad I found you! My mom has to eat gluten free and it’s great that I can find yummy things for her to try out. These types of things are also great for my little one as she gets more teeth. I’m trying to give her as much natural food as I can.

Moni'sMeals July 7, 2011 at 2:58 pm

who needs a veggie burger anyways! Especially when you made my ultimate fav combo and blizzard! Just amazing. I am all over this recipe!

I liek this combo best but maybe cookies n cream for the next!

[email protected] July 7, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Holy cow!! That blizzzard oozing and dripping looks sooo beautimously delicious~~
Oh I know!! Something like pistachio blizzard?! Or something orange flavored? I don’t know~~I haven’t tried a blizzard before and I’m not sure if you are allowed to do fruit flavored ones–but who says you can’t break those rules? ;)

Stacy @ Stacy Eats July 7, 2011 at 3:12 pm

OMG that blizzard looks amazing!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga July 7, 2011 at 3:14 pm

“Actually, it was the only successful recipe I’ve had all week. Last night, I decided if I had one more recipe fail this week, I was going to have to hire a ghost chef for the blog. ”

You, no, never!

But I know what you mean…I go in spurts where nothing seems to work or that I can get decent photos out of it. I mean I will always make it “work” and not really waste the food, i.e. I feed it to the family…haha, but I dont blog about it or photograph it.

Just means you’re gonna have a HOT streak coming up! :)

The cookie dough balls look perfect. Peanut butter IN raw balls can be tricky b/c they tend to get gloppy and not stick together but love the rice krispy idea to dry out the dough, so to speak. The whole recipe looks fabulous! I’ll take a dozen :)

Jen @familyfoodfitnessandfun July 7, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Oh no you didn’t just post that! OMG, I must make these now……
Thanks!

Gloria July 7, 2011 at 3:21 pm

You should definitely try making an oreo blizzard :) I haven’t had a blizzard in years… Thanks for the recipe!

Mindy July 7, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I vote you should make a brownie blizzard next!! or peanut butter cup!
My kids and I just made this for an afternoon snack! OMG was it good! I was trying to figure out a way to stick my tongue in the food processor to lick out the last drops!!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance July 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Blizzards are my absolute FAVORITE! Thank you for this!

Ann Claire July 7, 2011 at 3:59 pm

I would attend your salad party!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

whohoo!

Karen July 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

okay I am definitely making this blizzard this weekend – I have already made your cookie dough one a couple of times – its always a hit!!

Tracy July 7, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Angela I’ve made many of your recipes, and really enjoyed them. It’s funny that you had a major fail with last nights dinner. I made a felafel type burger last night and it too was bad. I had the same problem, mushy on the inside. You were lucky enough to have that delicious dessert to end your meal.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

It’s hard to get them perfect sometimes, isn’t it? I’ve had some felafel fails too… ;)

Chelsey @ Chew with Your Mouth Open July 7, 2011 at 4:24 pm

Okay that sounds pretty much AMAZING. ♥

[email protected] July 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

YUM!

Barry July 7, 2011 at 4:27 pm

I shall give you points for courage. I would not start anything called a ‘lemon burger’. All the dessert things look good. I have no idea where you get the time to make all this stuff. Anyhoo, I have arrived at a critical point in my life where I must consistently eat more healthy food so your posts will be very helpful. Thank you for all the effort.

Molly @ RDexposed July 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

My friends and coworkers loved your cookie dough balls! I also used them as apology cookies this weekend. They did the trick!!

Trish July 7, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love it! When dinner doesn’t work out as planned, just have blizzards instead! We actually had something similar last night…dinner was kind of a bust with mediocre leftovers of veggie burgers and a rice dish from a few nights ago, so we had your banana soft serve with the chia seeds as a big dessert instead. and I enjoyed every single last bite of it!

Abby @ Abz 'n' Oats July 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm

You have me drooling over here! I think a good flavor to recreate would be a german chocolate blizzard! :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset July 7, 2011 at 5:23 pm

The title of this post pulled me in IMMEDIATELY. DQ Blizzards= true love :)
How about a cookies and cream blizzard?!

Kathy July 7, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Hmmm…vanilla, peppermint, confetti (or multicolor), banana, caramel, cookies & cream (is there a way to make this healthy?), lemon, apple spice (sorta like apple pie), pumpkin spice, coconut, a combination of any of those listed above :D or berries if they work.

Ragnhild July 7, 2011 at 6:13 pm

Ah, this looks amazing!! Its past mid-night in Norway, but I crave one of these NOW!!! I hope my craving is still there tomorrow, because I mustmustmust try to make this!

Sky July 7, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Yum, that looks really good! I just popped all the bananas in the freezer so I can make this over the weekend (if the sun ever comes out again in Vancouver).

As for what flavour to tackle next, I would go with Mint Oreo, I have really fond memories of those (and less fond memories of the 10lbs I gained the summer I discovered them, ooops, thankfully, yours look guilt free!).

Keep up the great work!

Tiffany July 7, 2011 at 7:48 pm

My mouth…will not…stop watering…

I really should’ve thought twice about clicking on anything labeled “Peanut Butter Chocolate…” when my girl parts are doing their thing! OY! :P DEELISH though! I will refrain from making them now, but give me a week and I’ll try it out when I’m in a better mindset, hehe!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet July 7, 2011 at 8:03 pm

This sounds AMAZING

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey July 7, 2011 at 8:22 pm

This looks incredibly naughty. I kind of like it.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 7, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Bummer about the veggie burgers, but it looks like your dessert MORE than made up for it! It looks fantastic! If you make a mint chocolate chip blizzard next, I think I may marry you. ;)

Jessica July 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm

i simply couldn’t resist this recipe tonight. i didn’t have any cashews on hand, so i used almonds instead and it worked beautifully! i had another cookie dough recipe that i was stuck to, but these are far better.
it hit the spot!
also, i’d LOVE to see a vegan fudge brownie blizzard. :)
thanks for everything you do!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

mmmm :) me too

Nat July 7, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Love your creations!

FoodFeud July 7, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I had a great romaine salad today too – though not as fresh. I was happy because I rarely eat romaine but it’s nice and cooling. Good luck with the burgers. The flavors sound interesting and they look nice! (But I guess we’re all really here for the Blizzard)

Sierra July 7, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I made black bean burgers today and I think they are good, but they prolly could be a lil better. Wanna work some magic on them? :) My favorite Blizzard flavor was always Georgia Mud Fudge, so if you could recreate that, I would love you forever! :) Here’s the link to my recipe:

Margy rose July 7, 2011 at 11:19 pm

I made a blueberry lemon basil one an throw some candied lemon peel in and sometimes some poppy seeds. Unique flavor with fresh basil.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 7:44 am

that’s cool, so creative!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco July 8, 2011 at 12:28 am

I here you, those “weeks” happen to everyone. Right guys? ;) This looks so incredible, but you’re Anglea. Your stuff is going to be incredible. By the way, do you think I could make this without Teff flour? I might try it with some different flours on my blog and let you know how it goes. Go, Angela!

Trish @ Binary Vegan July 8, 2011 at 12:36 am

I vote for a Butterfinger-type blizzard! Those were always my weakness…

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 7:43 am

mmmm!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 8, 2011 at 12:43 am

Mmmmmmmm, that blizzard looks pretty perfect!!!! I could use one of those on this HOT day we are having in Saskatchewan!

Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) July 8, 2011 at 1:17 am

Ahh Angela! I have been seeing this DQ commercial for their new triple chocolate blizzard all week and DYING to recreate it. You beat me to the punch! And with peanut butter!! Garsh you are the best and I need to have this in my belly like yesterday. Do you think you could sub gluten free flour and stevia (for the sugar) in the balls and have the same great flavor? Getting on this asap. Xo!

Hannah July 8, 2011 at 5:14 am

Just amazing! Mostly, though, I can’t help chuckling at your story of stripping the rosemary bush. You’re welcome to come visit my parents’ place, where the rosemary has been taking over the entire garden for years now! Nothing will defeat the blighter!

Katrina July 8, 2011 at 5:35 am

Mmm such a tasty treat!

Alyssa July 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

”Helpful hint: If anyone in your home sees you eating this, tell them it’s Vegan and Gluten-Free and they will run like hell.”. . .HAHA ohmigosh, this is so true.
People turn up their noses at the cookies I bring into work when I say they’re vegan, but when they try them, they’re always amazed at how yummy they are…lol.

Alissa @ Just Eat Love July 8, 2011 at 7:02 am

Yumm these look great! I like to have healthy little snacks like this around to nibble on :)

Beth July 8, 2011 at 8:28 am

I think the new blizzard recipe would make me forget about the burger fail too. It looks so good, especially with it melting over the sides. Perfect for a hot summer’s day or night. In fact, I’m thinking of having it right now for a late breakfast.

Have you done a cinnamon type flavoured blizzard? Or maybe a ginger snap flavour?

O.C. July 8, 2011 at 8:28 am

I’m feeling an Oreo cookies and cream Blizzard or a Fudge brownie one or maby even birthday cake! I’ve never had a real Blizzard but I bet yours are 1000x better :)
and I totally use the “It’s vegan, glutefree and has no refined sugars!” when I don’t want to share my treats.

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) July 8, 2011 at 8:42 am

Mmm, this looks so good! I’d like to see you tackle a fruity blizzard flavor, like strawberry shortcake :)

xo

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 8, 2011 at 8:47 am

Oh my gosh. I LOVE YOU!!!!! How about a Butterfinger one!

eva @5fruitsNveggies July 8, 2011 at 10:19 am

oh i know how you feel with the less-than-tasty meals….i feel cheated when i go through the effort to make something–bleh…the salad looks so refreshing! jealous that you have a garden that can produce the romaine….we have on purpose–due to our lack of foresight, made our garden easy to take care of–which means no gardening patches…..ps i am addicted to dough balls introduced to me through averie @love veggies and yoga…and i am really learning the beauty of using teff flour

Gen July 8, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Yuum!!! I think a mint choc chip blizzard would be fabulous!

Vivian July 8, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Your blog is the first food and health blog that I followed..and has led me to find other related blogs. I just want to say that your blog is SUCH an inspiration to me…I might even start my own!! :) Btw, are you a self-taught photographer? Because I absolutely LOVEEE your photos!! I recently just started photography, any tips on how to improve my skills? And AHHH I just wanna eat my computer right now these blizzards look delicious….drool..

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 8, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Aww thanks Vivian! I’m self-taught, mostly by googling photography blogs and just reading up on the internet here and there. I would like to take professional courses someday though! It’s so much fun to learn and experiment. Goodluck with your blog if you start one :)

Mai July 8, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Mmmm. I made this last night. SO DELICIOUS.

Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go July 8, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I haven’t had a blizzard in years! I will need to try a homemade, vegan one ASAP now! :D

Sarah July 8, 2011 at 11:16 pm

OMGGGG Angela!!! I am BEAMING and eating this DECADENT DESSERT RIGHT NOW as I am typing this!! I am in HEAVEN on Earth!!

This is one of the most delicious, decadent and guilt-free dessert I have EVER tried!! You just made my night with this recipe.

Thank you soooo much for sharing.
To all of you reading this, make this thing ASAP. Its sooooo amazing ^_^

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2011 at 8:12 am

So glad to hear that Sarah!

Brittnie July 9, 2011 at 6:28 am

This looks totally amazing!! Wow. I say try an Oreo flavor next. Oreo anything = best ever.

Mary July 9, 2011 at 1:22 pm

Thanks so much for this idea!! I just made a dialed down version of it- 3 frozen bananas and 1.5 heaping tablespoons of almond butter. Delicious!! :)

michelle July 9, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I’ve had a couple of failures this week too. I can’t wait to try this recipe!

marla {family fresh cooking} July 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Sorry to hear the veggie burgers were crap. Looks like you more than redeemed yourself with these blizzards. Beautiful work girl! Love all those fresh from the garden veggies you got there.

Andrea July 10, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Count me in on the salad party!

Ruth July 11, 2011 at 2:17 am

I agree with lots of folks above – oreo would be awesome! I’ve tired your previous blizzard, and cookie dough bites – you can’t go wrong!

Lindsey Krist July 11, 2011 at 9:39 am

“…because it’s stifling hot and we can’t just eat balls for crying out loud!” – HAHA….That’s what SHE said….

Tammy Hollingworth July 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Angela- I’m new to your site and I LOVE it!! I have made a couple of things and cant wait to try your Green Monster’s. I also have just started running and exercising. And hope that one day I can see it as “fun”. I have been training (not as much as I should) for my first 5K that will take place in a bit over a month. I’m very excited about it and doing it as one of my first goals. I am 46 and beginning to “reflect” on my life. Realizing that it is time that I am the only one that can make positive changes in my life for MYSELF.
So I would like to say thank you and I am really enjoying your site. Love the stories and recipe’s. I look forward to your emails everyday.
Tammy~

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2011 at 7:28 am

Thanks Tammy! Goodluck with your 5k!

Natasha Kay July 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I just got home with my new food processor and after whipping up some quick guacamole, I knew I needed to try this recipe! I just about ate the dough straight because it was so yummy! Bananas are freezing now and then I’ll be whipping up the “blizzard”! :)

Just a minor detail: the peanut butter is missing from the recipe instructions (for the balls).

Thanks again!

Lily's Health Pad July 29, 2011 at 9:36 pm

yep! I just made this recipe and was logging on to comment about the missing 3 TBSP of PB.

Melanie Keenan July 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

If I were a man, and you were single…I would ask you to marry me just because of this recipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!! Just accidentally stumbled upon your site because I googled “Stuffed Patty Pan Squash recipes” and will be trying this blizzard recipe AND your patty pan recipe this week!!!! I will be a return and avid reader!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2011 at 7:28 pm

LOL love this comment! Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the blog!

May Ng July 21, 2011 at 8:44 am

How about chocolate-orange blizzard? or even more exotic one, black sesame green tea blizzard?

Kelli R July 23, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Hi Angela, I found your site a few months ago and I love it! Such creative, healthy recipes. I made the peanut butter blizzard tonight and it was amazing. (I doubled the recipe for the balls so I will have plenty made for future blizzards- plus they’re awesome on their own.) Please keep the recipes coming. I’ve already bought all the ingredients for the summer salad and will be making that tomorrow.

Rachel May 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm

For the balls, when do you add the peanut butter to the mixture? The same time as the vanilla/syrup?

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 2, 2012 at 3:56 pm

at the very end, I just pulse them in or just stir them in crumbled up. Enjoy!

Rachel May 2, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Not the peanuts, i mean the 3 tablespoons of peanut-butter listed in the recipe.. I am sorry to be a nit-pick! Earlier this week I had a bad experience with a vegan cookie recipe and I really kick myself if I forget something/mess up a dough! Thank you for any help :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 3, 2012 at 7:15 am

Oh sorry I mis-read your question!!
Yes you add it in with the vanilla and maple syrup. I will add that into the recipe!

Katie August 16, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I vote Mint Chocolate Chip or Pumpkin pie “blizzard” mmmm! The Strawberry Cheesecake one sounds good too! Oh, andI just tried the banana soft serve today…& now I’m going bananas for it! Literally! Thanks for the idea :-)

Kate November 28, 2012 at 11:08 am

Angela, I’m dying to know more about these spoons. Can you tell me what brand/line they are?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

Thank you Kate! They are from William Ashley, but from 2008 so Im not sure they are still there.

Kate November 28, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thank you so much! It appears to be Sambonet Bamboo. :)

Gabrielle January 6, 2013 at 7:42 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I had a vegan over for a dinner party, so I wanted to make a dessert he could enjoy as well, and lets just say everyone loved it! I’m not a vegan, but I would definitely make this again, it was amazing!

Fiona November 9, 2013 at 12:31 am

Oh this was so good! I left out the chocolate chips, peanuts, and rice cereal because I didn’t have them and used ww pastry flour. So good in the banana soft serve! Thanks for an amazing and super easy recipe!

Melissa February 6, 2014 at 8:51 am

The display image for this is the veggie burger

Kimberly February 27, 2014 at 2:14 pm

May I say, you are not only a talented Vegan creationist but an amazing writer. I love reading your blogs, especially all the parts with you and Eric from that July when you were “too busy pushing Eric into the snakes so you could save yourself from imminent death” (LOL) and the short, sweet conversation between you guys after he tried the Rosemary-Lemon Burgers! LOL. You two are just the sweetest, balls of sunshine that always lights up my day. It really doesn’t get any better than cooking incredible, healthy meals while laughing at all the humor and wit in between. Awww….life’s simple pleasures!

Read more: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/07/03/spicy-bbq-chickpea-burgers-lightened-up-crispy-baked-fries/#ixzz2uYClLXlPreaction to your Rosemary-Lemon Burgers and you taking his Oh-hah as a fail. You guys are just too funny and I love your writing as much as I love your recipes.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 1, 2014 at 8:27 am

haha thank you Kimberly!!

Kathleen Campbell April 1, 2014 at 12:16 am

Oh my goodness. I didn’t not expect these to be THIS good. Who needs dairy queen when you can make your own blizzard at home!! I had to try this recipe to believe it, I couldn’t believe you could have creamy soft serve ice cream out of just bananas, but it’s true! And it’s delicious! Thank you for introducing this into my life!!! (PS the one thing I would say that you could add to all your recipes that would be SUPER helpful is prep/bake time.)

Traci April 25, 2014 at 4:24 pm

How about a ginger snap or molasses crinkle cookie blizzard? Or snickerdoodle. Just thinking how my favorite cookies could translate into a frozen treat!