Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

IMG 7801   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I wait all year long for local strawberries to make their brief appearance and when I finally see them at the market and in the grocery stores I tend to go a bit crazy.

IMG 9918   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I hoard them.

I freeze them.

I go to Strawberry festivals.

IMG 0386   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I make Strawberry Banana Soft Serve.

IMG 2199   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

I make Strawberry Shortcake Stacked Pancakes.

IMG 3216   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

This weekend, we almost turned into a strawberry. First, there was the High Protein Quinoa Almond Berry Salad that we inhaled after the hike. Then there were chocolate covered strawberries (Eric’s idea!)- one of our all-time favourite desserts.

Finally, this refreshing Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup came about.

IMG 7797   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

This soup is inspired by a chilled strawberry soup recipe I spotted over at Memories in the Baking. I thought the idea of a chilled strawberry soup was fun. Strawberries are the main ingredient with only a few ‘enhancing’ ingredients to bring out the strawberry flavour.

It’s a lovely dessert for the summertime when you want something light and healthy, yet still sophisticated. I just love the pairing of almonds and strawberries, so I added some almond butter and almond extract to the soup. The almond butter adds creaminess to the subtle tart undertones of the strawberries. A touch of sweetener- and chilling in the fridge- brought it all together!

You can have fun playing around with the recipe too. Strawberry Mint soup, as in this recipe, would also be fantastic. Or if you are a sweet and savoury fan, what about Strawberry Basil soup?

IMG 7769   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

IMG 7717 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

While the soup was chilling in the fridge, we worked up a good sweat working on the deck stairs. The guys weren’t able to help Eric this weekend (note: they are avoiding our calls hah), so I told him that I would help.

IMG 7716 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

The stairs are really intimidating! There are so many calculations and cuts to make.

IMG 7740 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

We got close to completing the large staircase! Just a few more boards to secure.

IMG 0804   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

After this one, we still have two smaller ones on each end. I’m REALLY ready for this deck to be complete!

At the end of the day, we had a very simple dinner made up of BBQ’d veggies, leftover pearled barley, pasta sauce, and seasonings.

IMG 0794 2   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup  IMG 7803   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

And then we devoured our chilled soup for dessert! It’s creamy, smooth, and flavourful and it didn’t last long!

IMG 7799   Chilled Strawberry Almond Butter Soup

T minus 4 days until this weekend’s Strawberry Festival. Not that I’m counting or anything..

Julie @ Shining From Within June 21, 2011

the deck looks awesomesauce! I could never imagine building my own deck. Eric needs a TV show. I have never heard of a chilled soup with sweet flavors. Inteeeerestting… I bet watermelon would be amaze too with mint. ;)

kate June 21, 2011

oooh I love the addition of almond butter that seriously sounds amazing and so refreshing, perfect for summer!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 21, 2011

WOW! The photos are gorgeous this morning Ange!! I love the bright colours. Like you, I’m a major strawberry fiend and have been eating them non-stop! The deck looks like it’s almost ready. You guys have done an amazing job on the stairs – I’d have no idea where to start!! Have a wonderful day!

Carrie June 21, 2011

wow!! this is so creative!! a soup!!.. so clever- the stairs are looking great!

Claire June 21, 2011

YOU ARE GENIUS!! That strawberry almond butter soup sounds FANTASTIC! Thanks for the recipe, and I’ll be making it tonight and be giving you blog cred’ on tomorrow’s post!!
<3 N.N.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Hope you like it!

Lizzie June 21, 2011

Aha! So now I know what to do with the giant punnet of strawbs I bought yesterday at the farmer’s market down the street :) That is, if I don’t eat them all first.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 21, 2011

This looks amazing! What a perfect summer treat. :-)

Caitlin June 21, 2011

that soup is so pretty! i love the idea of strawberries and almond butter- yum!

Lisa Fine June 21, 2011

What an unusual combination! I love chilled fruit soups, and would love to try this, but due to my almond allergy, I’ll try it with cashew butter.

Enjoy the beautiful weather, Angela!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com June 21, 2011

Yum, sounds delish! Love your spoons by the way. So classy and and vintage looking!

VeggieGirl June 21, 2011

You are so creative with strawberries!! I’ve always loved them in smoothies and salad but am usually at a loss on how to create healthy bakery/ice cream versions of smoothie recipes! Thanks :D !!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 21, 2011

I love this, especially because it looks so pretty:-)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 21, 2011

All the fruit recipes this week look delicious! I love the idea of strawberry + basil for the savory combo. Definitely going to try that one!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 21, 2011

Mm I love strawberries! I’m also a big texture person though so I’m wondering if the soup would be too..smooth? Any suggestions to give it more textures?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

I really loved the chopped almonds and strawberries on top…you could always add lots of those.

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 21, 2011

That dessert looks so good! I love light desserts that are savory but not calorie dense :)

& wahooo for the deck almost being done!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 21, 2011

Mmmmm…in Paris last month, we ate at a restaurant that served a chilled strawberry soup for dessert, and I’ve been craving it ever since!!! This looks awesome!

Apron Appeal June 21, 2011

This soup looks amazing but it’s the mention of the strawberry soft serve that I’m really interested in – vegan ice cream – I want some.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Its easy- just process frozen bananas with some strawberries in a food processor until smooth. You can add a splash of milk of choice if needed to help it along.

JenATX June 21, 2011

can I have this for breakfast? haha

Jodi June 21, 2011

Wow this soup looks delicious! What a nice treat to have in the warmer months for a dessert – looks decadent but light at the same time!

Jennifer June 21, 2011

Hello…my name is Jennifer and I have a strawberry addiction….seriously, I hoard them as well. Just picked 50 lbs of them, since I was only down to 10lbs in freezer. LOVE organic strawberries. This recipe just maybe “strawberry worthy”. I have to consider seriously when and how I use my precious berries! :)

Heather (heathers dish) June 21, 2011

Man I would die of excitement at a strawberry festival! Sounds glorious ;)

Lauren June 21, 2011

Wow, that is beautiful and looks delicious! I LOVE strawberries, they’re the reason I decided red was my favorite color when I was little. It’s so glorious when they’re in season! :)

katie June 21, 2011

I can;t get over how beautiful the deck is looking! Can’t wait to see the final product.
I just went strawberry picking myself and have been consuming my fair share in the past couple days. I made strawberry basil pesto yesterday, I highly recommend it! And this morning a strawberry coconut smoothie. I love summer fruit!

Cait's Plate June 21, 2011

Oh my gosh – strawberry banana soft serve?! How have I never thought of that before!? Also, I’m drooling over those pancakes!

I’m strawberry crazy in the summer time too – I wish I could say I go to festivals, but unfortunately I just go to the grocery store to pick them up :)

The deck is looking amazing! Kudos to Eric!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen June 21, 2011

The deck is looking fantastic! and I love the sounds of this soup.

Rebecca June 21, 2011

Strawberry season in PA is OVER already!! I very nearly cried. :’( But I do wonder what this soup would be like with blueberries? I can’t pass up the berry + almond butter combination. Oh, and I absolutely ADORE that antique spoon — is it an heirloom?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

thanks! its from the antique market :)

I find that too many blueberries when blended become very gel-like in consistency so I would be hesitant to use all blueberries in this recipe. I think subbing up to 1/3-1/2 cup might work fine though!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 21, 2011

That deck is looking good girlie! Dinner looked awesome!

Jen June 21, 2011

Bright red, plump, juicy strawberries are one of my favorite things about summer. Your chilled soup (one of my chefs in culinary school said that “chilled fruit soups” are just code for “smoothie”…haha!) looks great. And there’s something so satisfying about eating a treat with such a beautiful color!

Tichina June 21, 2011

Wow! The deck is really coming along :) You must be getting so excited! I love fruit, all fruit, and in all of it’s glorious forms but this is a new one I can add to the mix, I can’t wait to try it out :). Thanks Angela!

Katie June 21, 2011

WOW. That looks and sounds so decadent!

Shanna, Like Banana June 21, 2011

Whipped strawberry anything always looks so good. I think this might serve as a fantastic dip too!

SunnyB@andloveittoo June 21, 2011

This looks like an amazing dessert. I cannot wait to try.

Thanks for sharing!

SunnyB

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life June 21, 2011

OMG crazy good stairs!!!!! I’m impressed!!!

ANNNND I LOOOOVE strawberries, too! Thanks for the recipe!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 21, 2011

The strawberry soup looks sooo yummy! I love that it’s pink :)

Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa June 21, 2011

You guys are really coming along on that deck! It looks fantastic!

Monika @ Powered by Paprika June 21, 2011

I love strawberries! Those strawberry pancakes look absolutely delicious :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 21, 2011

You guys have a strawberry festival? How awesome!
I make something really, really similar for my morning smoothies, but I add cooked rice, quinoa, or quick oats, dump it in a bowl and go to TOWN with a spoon. Deeelicious!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 21, 2011

Hell yes the Strawberry FEST :) southern Ontario has one too!! this is crazy I just bought a whole bunch of local strawberries and will be posting about them and a dessert later tonight!! AH crazyness :)

Shannon ~ My Place In The Race June 21, 2011

The soup sounds awesome! Perfect for hot day :P

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 21, 2011

Mmm sounds like a delicious dessert to me :) Definitely something I’ll be craving after a difficult and hot run.

Can’t wait to see the completed deck!!! I’m sure it’ll be great for throwing barbecues and just relaxing.

Page 1 of 3123»