Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Oil-Free Walnut Chip Brownies

IMG_7737-2

My gluten-free and vegan baking adventures continue! [See post 1 here]

This time, I’m using a gluten-free flour called Teff Flour.

Have you heard of Teff flour before?

teff-flour_col

[Source]

I hadn’t until I looked through the Clean Start and Clean Food Cookbooks. Teff flour is not only gluten-free, but it’s high in protein, iron, calcium, and zinc. Teff contains 2x the Thiamin, 3x the Folate, 7x the Calcium, 3x the Iron, and 3x the Zinc as compared to wheat.

The Teff grain is incredibly small too, measuring about 1/32 of an inch in diameter! It takes 150 grains to weigh as much as one grain of wheat.

Check out how tiny the Teff grain is!

3898670435_ff7f313e0d

[Source]

Because the grain is so small it is virtually impossible to hull the grain before grinding it into a flour. This means that teff flour is identical in nutritional value to the whole grain. Dark or brown teff is higher in iron and ivory teff is higher in protein. There is also a red teff, but I don’t think it’s common.

When I was at Bulk Barn the other day picking up some Goji berries, I was surprised to see that they carried Teff Flour. You can also purchase teff flour at many health food stores and Bob’s Red Mill also makes Teff flour.

I rushed home to make these brownies, not knowing what to expect, and they knocked our socks off!

IMG_7714

IMG_6396

To amp up the brownies, I added walnuts and chocolate chips because we love a nice crunch to our brownies!

The Teff Flour has a very light taste and I couldn’t even tell that I was using a new flour. The brownies are incredibly fudgy, but still a bit cake-like in texture.

The only small issue I had was that the brownies tended to fall apart when I cut them after cooling. If this is an issue for you, I would suggest cooling them in the pan, then freezing until firm (but not solid completely), and finally, cutting them for a less crumbly slice.

Either way, when I tasted the brownies I really didn’t care what they looked like because they were just that good! Big thanks to Terry for allowing me to share this incredible recipe with you today.

IMG_7732

Have you ever tried Teff flour before? What are your favourite flours to bake with?

My favourite flours to bake with are whole grain spelt flour (for heartier baked goods like muffins), light spelt flour (for lighter baked goods), whole wheat pastry flour, and Kamut flour (bakes very similar to white flour). Teff flour will be moving onto this list too. :)

Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful dads out there!

1 kate June 19, 2011

These look absolutely fabulous, I made gluten free brownies last night and mine were a little too dense ill have to try out your recipe!

2 A-K June 19, 2011

Those look great! I love how rich and decadent they look without anything processed. And teff is becoming quite close to my heart (made some teff gingerbread cookies over the winter that were so amazing).

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mmm molasses cookies are next on my list!

4 The Teenage Taste June 19, 2011

Mmmmm…nothing beats healthy and delicious brownies. Do you think it would be possible to sub all-purpose or whole wheat flour instead of the teff? I love the benefits of teff but I already have so many different flours…

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

not sure… you’d have to try and see I guess! :)

6 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) June 19, 2011

Mmmmmm those brownies look AMAZING!! :D I’ve never even HEARD of teff flour before!! Do you think it would work with other flours?

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I’m not sure…it would be an experiment I guess!

8 Una July 24, 2015

I made them using gram flour and they were delicious! I also doubled the amount of chocolate chips (instead of walnuts) and swirled some peanut butter though in the tin – some of the best brownies I’ve ever had!

9 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011

I would definitely say your gluten free fat free baking is thus far a great success! I want to make all of these baked goods :)

I’ve never used teff flour before, but my favorite is still whole wheat pastry flour. How would you compare teff flour brownie taste to regular wheat??

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I find it very similar…its hard to compare really. I thought it was gonig to have a weird taste like buckwheat or amaranth but it was much milder.

11 mariah (pictures pups and pies) June 19, 2011

Thanks for the info about teff flour! I will have to see if I can find it. Those brownies look delicious.

12 Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 19, 2011

Wait an hour before slicing??? So hard to do! I’ve usually sampled the batter, and then picked at the edges as soon as it comes out the oven. I’ve been trying different black bean brownies and they are pretty good. The apple sauce, banana and almond in these sounds great! Looking forward to trying them.

13 Elizabeth June 19, 2011

You might already know about this blog but http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/ is a really great resource for gluten-free baking (they aren’t vegan but I think you’d be inspired!). Those brownies look great! They probably just need a starch to help keep them together if that’s the only problem you ran into :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Yes I love that blog!

15 Julie @ Shining From Within June 19, 2011

Wow. These look amazing! I have been craving brownies!

16 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 19, 2011

Those brownies look divine!

17 cadryskitchen June 19, 2011

Thus far I’ve only used teff flour when making injera to scoop Ethiopian wots. I love its wholesome, dense flavor. Thanks for sharing the brownie recipe! It will be nice to have another use for it, and they look delicious!

18 Julia June 19, 2011

Yes! We have a couple amazing Ethiopian restaurants in our neighborhood and the injera bread made of teft flour is so great! I never thought of using it in my crew of alternative flours, so this recipe is exciting, Thanks for another great idea :)

19 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 19, 2011

Making these….now. I freaking love teff. My daddy will love these even more!

20 Angela June 19, 2011

You should try black bean brownies. I was a bit sceptical about them but they turned out great and tasted even better the next day.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Ive tried them a couple times before and never really liked the texture that much!

22 WIERDGREENMAN June 19, 2011

I really want to use teff to make injera.
I like oat flour, for the nutritional profile.

23 lauren@spicedplate June 19, 2011

These look awesome! I love teff flour, but haven’t used it very often — that’ll change with this recipe! Thanks!

24 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 19, 2011

i have used teff flour in my baking! i love the nutritional value. i have a carrot cake muffin recipe on my blog using teff flour. i still have a bit left so i think i know what i’ll be making with it… :)

25 Lauren June 19, 2011

I love those Terry Walters cookbooks! I’ve had the Clean Food one forever :) I bought Teff at the Bulk Barn when I first made her Teff Peanut Butter Cookies! Sooo addictive!!

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mmm I cant wait to make those.I didnt realize this til terry told me but clean food is a GF cookbook too!

27 Hayley @ Oat Couture June 19, 2011

These look amazing! Never heard of Teff flour but it sounds good! Will keep my eye out next time I go shopping! :)

28 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 19, 2011

Yep, and I found my teff flour at Bulk Barn too! I made pancakes (http://bit.ly/il8Ma3) with mine and they had a distinctly different taste from regular flours but I still really enjoyed it! Your brownies look absolutely divine! My other favourite flours are whole wheat pastry flour (so versatile!) kamut flour, and spelt flour, although it seems to be difficult to find! I’ve been trying to find peanut flour too after everyone around the blogosphere started raving about it, but sadly no dice yet!

29 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Ive yet to find peanut flour here too. Its probably a good thing for me because I heard it can be hard on the stomach and I have a very sensitive stomach!
I didnt find the teff flour to have a distinct flavour but maybe thats cuz the chocolate masked it. :)

30 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 19, 2011

I’ve never heard of teff flour before!
I like chickpeaflour, but specially to make little veggieburgers.
For baking, I didn’t use any ‘special’ flours yet, but I’m planning to experiment with some flours during summer (as well as other cookingexperiments).

These brownies look LOVELY! I wish I could take just one bite ;) Thanks for sharing this!

31 Leia June 19, 2011

Yum, these look delish! Although I don’t think I’ll be able to find teff flour here in Bangladesh. Do you think I could substitute another kind of flour? Any idea of whole wheat flour would work with this recipe? I’d love to try it!

It’s such fun experimenting with new ‘flours.’ I made crackers today out of ground flaxseed!

32 Christine June 19, 2011

Your brownies look amazing! I am gluten-free because of an allergy I have. I have found that cooking with GF flour is not very rewarding. I like to use different kinds of flour that have unique flavors like: Buckwheat Flour, Milled Flaxseed, Oat flour. I like to combine these together and make some great pancakes!

33 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mm I will have to try that!

34 Stefanie June 19, 2011

Yummy brownies. I have not tried teff flour but may have to pick some up.

35 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 19, 2011

I am a huge fan of teff and teff flour. In fact, last night, I made this stew which was thickened with teff and it was delicious.

GF products tend to be crumbly. Xantham gum helps, but I try to avoid it as it is not a wholefood. I would recommend keeping these frozen or at least refrigerated until you are about to eat.

36 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Thanks valerie!

37 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 19, 2011

These look amazing, but I’m even more impressed by the fact that you got permission from Terry herself to post this recipe! How did you manage that?!

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I just asked :) She is very sweet!

39 kaila @ healthy helper! June 19, 2011

I have had whole teft as a coating for fish before but I have never tried the flour itself. I looove baking and cooking with spelt flour though!

THOSE BROWNIES LOOK AMAZING! And so healthy!

40 Heather (Faces of Beauty) June 19, 2011

you always find the coolest flours….i’ve never actually heard of teff until just now but it sounds amazing!

41 Amber K June 19, 2011

I have never tried teff flour before! I’ve heard that the taste is one you have to get accustomed to, so I’ve put trying it off. I like my brownies without chunks, so I might try them that way, I wonder if that would help with the crumbling at all.

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I couldnt detect the flavour of the teff at all in this brownie recipe. I’ll have to report back what I think of the flavour in a non-chocolate baked good :)

43 Lynna @wholeytreats June 19, 2011

These sound delicious, Angela! Thank you (and Terry) for sharing the recipe. I’m always excited for your posts bc I think you feature some of the best vegan recipes on the web! I always have good results when I try them.

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Thanks Lynna!

45 kris (everyday oats) June 19, 2011

Yumm! My favorite flours are whole wheat pastry and spelt flour. I’ve had too many baking mishaps with buckwheat flour. I’d love to try teff and kamut though!

46 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2011

I love learning about new flours! I’m going to have to check our teff. My pantry looks like the Whole Foods baking aisle. LOL!

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

haha totally know that feeling… ;)

48 Sara (A Nickel's Worth of News) June 19, 2011

As far as gluten free flours, I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. It’s a blend of garbanzo bean, tapioca, potato, sorghum, and fava bean flours. You can usually substitute it cup for cup. In desserts and recipes with spices it is great; however, I have yet to find a good bread recipe that doesn’t have the funky bean flavor. I can’t wait to try your brownies! They look fantastic.

49 katie June 19, 2011

Eating gluten free has really opened my eyes to tons of different flours, grains, and methods of cooking. I have yet to try out teff flour though! Coconut flour is one of my favorites and works so well in baked goods, I would recommend giving it a try!

50 kristi (sweet cheeks) June 19, 2011

those look absolutely fantastic!!!

51 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 19, 2011

Now we’re talking! I think this is officially my favorite recipe of yours. I love seeing non gluten-free individuals give gluten free a try. AND love that these brownies are oil free. Will definitely be making these for my bf. Brownies are the key to his heart (and a fantastic way to bribe him to do things around the house.. but don’t tell him I said that hehe)

52 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

:) it’s a fun challenge!

53 Sierra June 19, 2011

Angela, thank you SOOO much for adding gluten free recipes to your blog! It is VERY hard to find gluten free dessert recipes that taste “normal” or even “decent” sometimes, but your recipes are always DELICIOUS and people are amazed that they are gluten free AND vegan! You are a wizard….when can we expect your cookbook? ;)

54 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 19, 2011

They look fantstic!!! I’m not too adventuresome when it comes to flours. The most exciting I’ve gotten was brown rice flour. Usually I stick with white all-purpose. My thighs will probably hate me for that once I’m forty.

55 Kathy June 19, 2011

Looks decadent! And delicious too, those brownies! I may make these, once I learn some self control! And can find Teff flour…
For Father’s Day I made my father the 115 calorie Oil Free Pumpkin Muffins you have (and because I had a can of pumpkin laying around opened from the day before). Plus I had a heart shaped pan so I had a heart shaped pumpkin cake. I drizzled it with chocolate and my dad LOVED it!

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

aww that is awesome!!

57 Molly @ RDexposed June 19, 2011

oooo these are def being made in my kitchen in the future!

58 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 19, 2011

The fact that you made brownies that are vegan, GF, oil free, and also don’t contain beans, and that they look so moist and decadent and wonderful…you truly outdid yourself, Angela!

And the photography is wonderful. The purple with the chocolate is a great color combo. Great work on it!

And no, I have never worked with teff. Many people rave about it, I’ve just never tried it. But after seeing your recipe, I think I need to start experimenting! :)

59 Moni'sMeals June 19, 2011

Wow! I think you may have nailed it! They sound great. I have not used Teff flour yet.

I agree with Averie, haha, “no beans”…I think you are on to something. :) I love bean brownies though don’t get me wrong. :)

60 Ragnhild June 19, 2011

Oh, these looks amazing! Cant believe they are almost healthy! I would even say they ARE healthy! They looks so chewy and good!
And beautiful photos as always :)

61 Allison June 19, 2011

You can actually make your own teff flour by putting whole teff in your Vitamix. It is super simple and super fast! :-)

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

cool thanks!

63 Ange @ Hol:Fit June 19, 2011

Awesome recipe Ange – can’t wait to try! I’ve never used Teff flour before but have heard so much about it!
I always feel confident trying out your recipes and these looks so delish
Thx bella!
xo

64 Ange @ Hol:Fit June 19, 2011

Ooh…I also wanted to mention that BB regularly runs $3 off $10 purchase coupons…here’s a link to one for this week!

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

yay thanks!

66 SueAnn June 19, 2011

Wow! I’ll have to locate some Teff flour right away! You must have been reading my mind! Chocolate, low fat, gluten free, just what I was thinking about. What the difference between medjool dates and regular dates, the only ones I can locate? Are they smoother textured, sweeter, ?? Thanks! Just finished some overnight oats with banana soft serve from your recipes, yum!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I think you can use any type of dates! :)

68 Gina June 19, 2011

Congrats on your successful GF baking extravaganza! I knew you could do it!
Totally bookmarking this page ;)

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Thanks Gina…although all the credit goes to the fab Terry!

70 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 19, 2011

oooh I must look out for teff flour! I am not sure that I have seen it in Australia!

71 Kelly June 19, 2011

Hi! Do you ship sweets?

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Check out my shopping cart here: http://www.globakery.com/Cart :)

73 Christine (The Raw Project) June 19, 2011

These look wonderful! I’ve never tried teff flour before, but I’m looking for it on the next Whole Foods trips!

74 Wendy Irene June 19, 2011

I would love to eat one of those brownies!! I try to be very conscious of not using too much oil in my cooking so this is right up my alley. Thank you for the inspiration. Have a great week!

75 Lorin June 19, 2011

Is spelt flour create a similar texture to whole wheat pastry flour. I was thinking of baking some things with spelt, but wasn’t sure if there would be a big difference.

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Spelt is much more dense than WWPF. For example, the baked goods don’t rise as much as other flours. This isnt a huge deal to me though because the flavour of spelt is my FAV of all flours! Very nutty.

77 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 19, 2011

I love that these contain a bunch of dates! great recipe Angela~~I’ve heard of Teff and have wanted to try it. These look delicious.

78 char @ char on a mission June 19, 2011

Totally looking for teff flour next time I’m at the Bulk Barn PLUS I have a spend $10 and get $3 off the next time I go there…even more the reason to get the flour!

These will be on my list to make this week!!! :D

79 dana @ my little celebration June 19, 2011

Wow, those look incredible! I love brownies but my husband’s not a fan. But this recipe looks so wholesome that I might just have to make a batch for myself!

80 Meredith June 19, 2011

These look awesome! I’ve never tried teff before, but have seen it at Planet Organic and Bulk Barn… will definitely have to pick some up next time! I generally just bake with whole wheat pastry flour, but your blog is definitely encouraging me to try out new flours… spelt is definitely high on the list!

81 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 19, 2011

I’ve never tried teff. Never even seen it around actually. You were the one to inspire me to buy spelt for the first time and now it’s one of my favorites :)

82 GFree_Miel June 19, 2011

Those brownies looks amazing! I can’t imagine being gluten-free and vegan, so kudos on your successful baking!

83 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner June 19, 2011

Oh man. I WANT I WANT I WANT!!!!

84 Honey June 19, 2011

Those brownies look amazing!! I love making healthy treats for my family! I have been on the lookout for teff flour at the organic shops here in Malaysia for more than a year with no success. I might have to try this recipe with oat flour or barley flour!

85 Kathryn June 19, 2011

These really look ridiculously good. Think I could use agave instead of maple syrup?

86 FoodFeud June 19, 2011

These look great. I’m all about oil-free baking. I have not tried teff flour yet, but am intrigued – If I’m not mistaken, it’s what people use to make injera the (apparently) delicious Ethiopiean bread. I usually stick with White Whole Wheat flour, or Whole Wheat pastry flour for baked goods.

87 Becky June 19, 2011

I cannot wait to try these out! Your photos of your cooking are amazing too, I am looking forward to more posts!

88 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 19, 2011

These look to die for! I love oil free baking and also prefer making baked goods vegan. I will definitely be trying out this recipe!

I also love baking with whole wheat spelt flour thanks to you. =) Thanks for portraying so many different and somewhat out of the norm grains!

89 bitt of raw June 19, 2011

I love teff flour! You used just the right amount, just about a third of the recipe. I like the sub out some of the other flours and ad in teff for nutrients. I was just about to think–gee, I can make this recipe without any substitutions but I can’t because my husband is allergic to bananas of all things! drat! maybe some mashed sweet potato will work…i’ll let you know. thanks for the GF vegan goodness! love ya for it!

90 bitt of raw June 19, 2011

i meant a third of the flour mixture, not whole recipe.

91 Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend) June 20, 2011

Angela, I am so glad you posted a gluten free low glycemic recipe! We are twins I did the same today :) I can not wait to try these babies out. I love brownies but haven’t made them since I stopped eating gluten and now this is a perfect excuse. Love all the healthy subs with applesauce, dates, bananas, and maple syrup. Uggg I love your blog so much it hurts.

92 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 20, 2011

These brownies look fantastic! I can’t believe they are gluten and oil free!

93 Evan June 20, 2011

I LOVE teff flour! It tastes like artichoke and hazelnuts to me. This recipe from Fine Cooking is one of my favorite ways to use it: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/swiss-chard-sweet-potato-feta-tart-teff-crust.aspx

94 Emily June 20, 2011

Oh my, these look so decadent! Thank you for introducing me to teff flour! Hope my whole foods carries it!

95 Emily June 20, 2011

YUM! This is totally on my “to-bake” list! I need to go buy teff flour.

96 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 20, 2011

i have both cookbooks!..i love all the recipes…
being a busy mom and cooking everything from scratch–in the kitchen at least 3 hours a day, i don’t have time to bake goodies for my girls…..it’s the one part of cooking that i have not been able to explore…but making these brownies look simple enough, and i love maximizing our family’s nutrition load…i’ve made black bean brownies before, but these look even more nutritious…i am looking forward to baking with teft…

97 Caitlin June 20, 2011

i love teff flour! i’m also gluten-free. my other favorite flours are sorghum and superfine brown rice flour.
have you made the peanut butter chocolate chip teff cookies in the clean foods cookbook yet? i’ve made them tons of time. they are super quick to whip up and are a huge crowd pleaser!

98 Kerry June 20, 2011

Hi Angela….Thanks so much for posting such wonderful recipes! I am new to vegan and sugar free cooking and was so excited to stumble upon your webiste. I love the pictures of the food and your recipes always turn out great! I just made these brownies and they taste great, but they are missing the gooey texture brownies usually have. I’m thinking about adding a chia egg the next time I make them….do you think that might work?

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 21, 2011

Hi Kerry! Thank you :) I find brownie texture/density is a big ‘personal preference’ type thing! These are definitely a bit more cake like in texture and not uber dense. Let me know if you use a chia egg next time, id be curious!

100 Sarah June 20, 2011

Yum! These would be PERFECT (minus the walnuts) for my sister-in-law! I’m excited to try them out.

101 jess @ cupcakes and kale June 21, 2011

swoon… these look so decadent – consider them bookmarked! i made some yummy raw brownies last week because it was too hot to turn the oven on, but i think things are cooling a bit in the next few days around here. now i have something to look forward to!

102 Erin June 21, 2011

I made a batch of these brownies yesterday, followed the recipe exactly except no walnuts and I ground the teff into flour in the vitamix from the whole grain. My husband thought they were the best brownies he’s ever had, vegan or non! Had to make another batch today to share with friends after he talked them up so much. :)

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 22, 2011

Wow that’s great!!

104 eva @5fruitsNveggies June 22, 2011

ok made these yesterday!! a winner! they have that fudgy, satisfying chocolate cake taste..i made mine from terry walter’s cookbook, minus the chocolate chips and walnuts (since i thought there were enough nuts from the almond meal)….thanks for the inspiration….ps we ate them for breakfast because these are sooooo nutritionally packed….learned about amazing teff flour….

105 Amy June 23, 2011

I am newly gluten free and gfree baking…i think you need to add a starch like potatoe starch (bob red mill’s has one) and Xanthan gum (bob red mill’s too) Xanthan gum helps bind the ingredients together and acts like gluten would making it stretchy and sticky thus holding it all together and making it less crumbly.

106 gluten free bread flour June 28, 2011

Thanks for supporting the gluten free family.

107 Tanya July 1, 2011

Those look amazing!! My favorite dessert of all time are brownies…..must make these. Never used Teff flour before, although I love injera and that’s made from Teff.

108 Meredith July 9, 2011

I just picked up teff flour at Bulk Barn today, can’t wait to make these!

109 Barb C July 11, 2012

I just got a pound of teff flour in the mail from nuts.com, and these brownies will be the first thing I make with it! If you have other ideas for teff flour, let me know!

110 Rachael August 23, 2012

Hi there,
This sounds like a yummy (less guilty way) to enjoy brownies…..Do you think it would be possible to substitute the dates with prunes instead?
I’m not overly fussed on dates after overdosing on my aunty’s sticky date pudding about 15 years ago!
Thanks for your amazing blog too. I’ve only just stumbled across it and it has amazing recipes and heaps of other great stuff too!

111 Hazel December 11, 2012

Hi, I made this tonight. They’re very yummy, even though I had some problems converting the measurements to ones I understood (I’m a UK based non-baker hahaha). Looking forward to trying more lovely things :)

112 Glenda January 11, 2013

I really love making these brownies but i was just wondering if i could add Xanthan gum to this recipe in order for the brownies to hold since there is no gluten, egg or butter.
If i can what would be the correct amount
I get compliments on this all the time

113 Meaghan January 27, 2013

Hi, I have came across your website not to long ago and absolutely fell in love. Thank you for being so brave. You are a beautiful person. I look forward to reading your thoughts and recipes. I just finished baking these FANTASTIC brownies… they were divine. Thank you for sharing. I cannot wait to tell my friends about your website! Keep on being you.

Sincerely, Meaghan Philbrook

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

Thank you Meaghan! I appreciate your kind words so much. Thanks for reading!

115 Aleks January 31, 2013

I made these but subbed dates for prunes (because I realized after I committed that someone ate all my dates!!) and it made a cake-like super moist brownie. Delicious flavour for the prune-lovers out there. :)

116 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 14, 2013

Those brownies look so gorgeous and delicious!!
And next time I’m at the Whole Foods in town, I’m gonna check for teff flour, I’d heard of it once or twice but I’m not very familiar with it, good to learn:)

117 Vegan Radhika Sarohia February 14, 2013

The ingredients list for these brownies looks so healthy by the way!
I’ve made healthy (very digusting) vegan brownies before, I still ate the whole pan but they tasted totally weird and I just tried to ignore that haha
These look cooler than the ones I’ve tried

118 Lauren March 2, 2013

these look delicious! I don’t always have ripe bananas on hand – do you know of any good substitute if I don’t have a banana? can’t wait to try!!

119 Rose May 4, 2013

Hi angela. this is my first ever comment on a site and its to you because youmare the best! I have made this brownie recipe many times. I have not tried the teff flour, but use gluten free flour, one chia egg and big handful of rolled oats instead of the walnuts. It is fantastic thanks and it always holds together. We love it sooooo much. We also love your site and make many of your recipes including variations of them as well. Having a wonderful australian sunny cooking Sunday today. Thanks Angela

120 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 5, 2013

Hi Rose, Thanks for your lovely note! I appreciate it so much. :) So glad the brownies worked out for you even with the changes! Thanks for letting me know :)

121 Glenda May 11, 2013

Hi Angela,

I really love this recipe- I have tried your method by putting in the frrezer so it would be easier to cut without crumbling but I was just wondering would adding xanthaum gum with help the binding of the brownies.
I was thinking of doing so but I’m not sure what the amount would be needed for this recipe or if this is the correct additive as a binder.

Thanks in advance
Glenda

122 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 13, 2013

Hi Glenda, Hmm…I’m not sure! I haven’t had much experience using X-gum, but please let me know if you try it. I do find that following the recipe as written results in non-crumbly brownies though. Enjoy!

123 Lindsay hetzel October 2, 2013

After making many of your recipes, this is my first comment. I searched everywhere for a brownie recipe, with no oil or added fats. I made this one, but I couldn’t find teff flour so I used the almond meal, and 1/2 c coconut flour minus 2 tablespoons, add 2 table spoons oat flour. Add 1 teaspoon chia to a tablespoon of water. I added 1/4 of water because of the high fiber of coconut flour. Came out great! Next time I go to whole foods I will look for teff flour!

124 Robyn August 15, 2014

I made these yesterday and they are amazing. My mom and sister have celiac disease and are picky about their gluten free treats. These totally passed their test and were not at all crumbly after being in the freezer for an hour after they cooled.

125 Lucy November 11, 2014

These brownies are THE BEST I’ve ever had in my entire vegan life. This is my second batch in a week. I can never wait for them to cool down so as soon as i get them out of the oven i grab a spoon and start digging at the edges. Ah they are AMAZING thank you <3

126 Emma December 12, 2014

I love teff flour and have been really succesful in cupcakes and breads with it, but haven’t tried brownies. Do you think I could sub avocado for the banana? I have a thing about bananas. Also love that these don’t have refined sugars. Can’t wait to try these out!