Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Oil-Free Walnut Chip Brownies

IMG 7737 2   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

My gluten-free and vegan baking adventures continue! [See post 1 here]

This time, I’m using a gluten-free flour called Teff Flour.

Have you heard of Teff flour before?

teff flour col   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

[Source]

I hadn’t until I looked through the Clean Start and Clean Food Cookbooks. Teff flour is not only gluten-free, but it’s high in protein, iron, calcium, and zinc. Teff contains 2x the Thiamin, 3x the Folate, 7x the Calcium, 3x the Iron, and 3x the Zinc as compared to wheat.

The Teff grain is incredibly small too, measuring about 1/32 of an inch in diameter! It takes 150 grains to weigh as much as one grain of wheat.

Check out how tiny the Teff grain is!

3898670435 ff7f313e0d   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

[Source]

Because the grain is so small it is virtually impossible to hull the grain before grinding it into a flour. This means that teff flour is identical in nutritional value to the whole grain. Dark or brown teff is higher in iron and ivory teff is higher in protein. There is also a red teff, but I don’t think it’s common.

When I was at Bulk Barn the other day picking up some Goji berries, I was surprised to see that they carried Teff Flour. You can also purchase teff flour at many health food stores and Bob’s Red Mill also makes Teff flour.

I rushed home to make these brownies, not knowing what to expect, and they knocked our socks off!

IMG 7714   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

IMG 63961   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

To amp up the brownies, I added walnuts and chocolate chips because we love a nice crunch to our brownies!

The Teff Flour has a very light taste and I couldn’t even tell that I was using a new flour. The brownies are incredibly fudgy, but still a bit cake-like in texture.

The only small issue I had was that the brownies tended to fall apart when I cut them after cooling. If this is an issue for you, I would suggest cooling them in the pan, then freezing until firm (but not solid completely), and finally, cutting them for a less crumbly slice.

Either way, when I tasted the brownies I really didn’t care what they looked like because they were just that good! Big thanks to Terry for allowing me to share this incredible recipe with you today.

IMG 7732   Gluten Free, Vegan, and Oil Free Walnut Chip Brownies

Have you ever tried Teff flour before? What are your favourite flours to bake with?

My favourite flours to bake with are whole grain spelt flour (for heartier baked goods like muffins), light spelt flour (for lighter baked goods), whole wheat pastry flour, and Kamut flour (bakes very similar to white flour). Teff flour will be moving onto this list too. :)

Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful dads out there!

kate June 19, 2011

These look absolutely fabulous, I made gluten free brownies last night and mine were a little too dense ill have to try out your recipe!

A-K June 19, 2011

Those look great! I love how rich and decadent they look without anything processed. And teff is becoming quite close to my heart (made some teff gingerbread cookies over the winter that were so amazing).

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mmm molasses cookies are next on my list!

The Teenage Taste June 19, 2011

Mmmmm…nothing beats healthy and delicious brownies. Do you think it would be possible to sub all-purpose or whole wheat flour instead of the teff? I love the benefits of teff but I already have so many different flours…

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

not sure… you’d have to try and see I guess! :)

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) June 19, 2011

Mmmmmm those brownies look AMAZING!! :D I’ve never even HEARD of teff flour before!! Do you think it would work with other flours?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I’m not sure…it would be an experiment I guess!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011

I would definitely say your gluten free fat free baking is thus far a great success! I want to make all of these baked goods :)

I’ve never used teff flour before, but my favorite is still whole wheat pastry flour. How would you compare teff flour brownie taste to regular wheat??

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I find it very similar…its hard to compare really. I thought it was gonig to have a weird taste like buckwheat or amaranth but it was much milder.

mariah (pictures pups and pies) June 19, 2011

Thanks for the info about teff flour! I will have to see if I can find it. Those brownies look delicious.

Eat Hike Sleep Repeat June 19, 2011

Wait an hour before slicing??? So hard to do! I’ve usually sampled the batter, and then picked at the edges as soon as it comes out the oven. I’ve been trying different black bean brownies and they are pretty good. The apple sauce, banana and almond in these sounds great! Looking forward to trying them.

Elizabeth June 19, 2011

You might already know about this blog but http://cannelle-vanille.blogspot.com/ is a really great resource for gluten-free baking (they aren’t vegan but I think you’d be inspired!). Those brownies look great! They probably just need a starch to help keep them together if that’s the only problem you ran into :)

Yes I love that blog!

Julie @ Shining From Within June 19, 2011

Wow. These look amazing! I have been craving brownies!

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming June 19, 2011

Those brownies look divine!

cadryskitchen June 19, 2011

Thus far I’ve only used teff flour when making injera to scoop Ethiopian wots. I love its wholesome, dense flavor. Thanks for sharing the brownie recipe! It will be nice to have another use for it, and they look delicious!

Julia June 19, 2011

Yes! We have a couple amazing Ethiopian restaurants in our neighborhood and the injera bread made of teft flour is so great! I never thought of using it in my crew of alternative flours, so this recipe is exciting, Thanks for another great idea :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 19, 2011

Making these….now. I freaking love teff. My daddy will love these even more!

Angela June 19, 2011

You should try black bean brownies. I was a bit sceptical about them but they turned out great and tasted even better the next day.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Ive tried them a couple times before and never really liked the texture that much!

WIERDGREENMAN June 19, 2011

I really want to use teff to make injera.
I like oat flour, for the nutritional profile.

lauren@spicedplate June 19, 2011

These look awesome! I love teff flour, but haven’t used it very often — that’ll change with this recipe! Thanks!

Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 19, 2011

i have used teff flour in my baking! i love the nutritional value. i have a carrot cake muffin recipe on my blog using teff flour. i still have a bit left so i think i know what i’ll be making with it… :)

Lauren June 19, 2011

I love those Terry Walters cookbooks! I’ve had the Clean Food one forever :) I bought Teff at the Bulk Barn when I first made her Teff Peanut Butter Cookies! Sooo addictive!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mmm I cant wait to make those.I didnt realize this til terry told me but clean food is a GF cookbook too!

Hayley @ Oat Couture June 19, 2011

These look amazing! Never heard of Teff flour but it sounds good! Will keep my eye out next time I go shopping! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 19, 2011

Yep, and I found my teff flour at Bulk Barn too! I made pancakes (http://bit.ly/il8Ma3) with mine and they had a distinctly different taste from regular flours but I still really enjoyed it! Your brownies look absolutely divine! My other favourite flours are whole wheat pastry flour (so versatile!) kamut flour, and spelt flour, although it seems to be difficult to find! I’ve been trying to find peanut flour too after everyone around the blogosphere started raving about it, but sadly no dice yet!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

Ive yet to find peanut flour here too. Its probably a good thing for me because I heard it can be hard on the stomach and I have a very sensitive stomach!
I didnt find the teff flour to have a distinct flavour but maybe thats cuz the chocolate masked it. :)

Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 19, 2011

I’ve never heard of teff flour before!
I like chickpeaflour, but specially to make little veggieburgers.
For baking, I didn’t use any ‘special’ flours yet, but I’m planning to experiment with some flours during summer (as well as other cookingexperiments).

These brownies look LOVELY! I wish I could take just one bite ;) Thanks for sharing this!

Leia June 19, 2011

Yum, these look delish! Although I don’t think I’ll be able to find teff flour here in Bangladesh. Do you think I could substitute another kind of flour? Any idea of whole wheat flour would work with this recipe? I’d love to try it!

It’s such fun experimenting with new ‘flours.’ I made crackers today out of ground flaxseed!

Christine June 19, 2011

Your brownies look amazing! I am gluten-free because of an allergy I have. I have found that cooking with GF flour is not very rewarding. I like to use different kinds of flour that have unique flavors like: Buckwheat Flour, Milled Flaxseed, Oat flour. I like to combine these together and make some great pancakes!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

mm I will have to try that!

Stefanie June 19, 2011

Yummy brownies. I have not tried teff flour but may have to pick some up.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 19, 2011

I am a huge fan of teff and teff flour. In fact, last night, I made this stew which was thickened with teff and it was delicious.

GF products tend to be crumbly. Xantham gum helps, but I try to avoid it as it is not a wholefood. I would recommend keeping these frozen or at least refrigerated until you are about to eat.

Thanks valerie!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 19, 2011

These look amazing, but I’m even more impressed by the fact that you got permission from Terry herself to post this recipe! How did you manage that?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I just asked :) She is very sweet!

kaila @ healthy helper! June 19, 2011

I have had whole teft as a coating for fish before but I have never tried the flour itself. I looove baking and cooking with spelt flour though!

THOSE BROWNIES LOOK AMAZING! And so healthy!

Heather (Faces of Beauty) June 19, 2011

you always find the coolest flours….i’ve never actually heard of teff until just now but it sounds amazing!

Amber K June 19, 2011

I have never tried teff flour before! I’ve heard that the taste is one you have to get accustomed to, so I’ve put trying it off. I like my brownies without chunks, so I might try them that way, I wonder if that would help with the crumbling at all.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

I couldnt detect the flavour of the teff at all in this brownie recipe. I’ll have to report back what I think of the flavour in a non-chocolate baked good :)

Lynna @wholeytreats June 19, 2011

These sound delicious, Angela! Thank you (and Terry) for sharing the recipe. I’m always excited for your posts bc I think you feature some of the best vegan recipes on the web! I always have good results when I try them.

Thanks Lynna!

kris (everyday oats) June 19, 2011

Yumm! My favorite flours are whole wheat pastry and spelt flour. I’ve had too many baking mishaps with buckwheat flour. I’d love to try teff and kamut though!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 19, 2011

I love learning about new flours! I’m going to have to check our teff. My pantry looks like the Whole Foods baking aisle. LOL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

haha totally know that feeling… ;)

Sara (A Nickel's Worth of News) June 19, 2011

As far as gluten free flours, I’ve been using Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. It’s a blend of garbanzo bean, tapioca, potato, sorghum, and fava bean flours. You can usually substitute it cup for cup. In desserts and recipes with spices it is great; however, I have yet to find a good bread recipe that doesn’t have the funky bean flavor. I can’t wait to try your brownies! They look fantastic.

katie June 19, 2011

Eating gluten free has really opened my eyes to tons of different flours, grains, and methods of cooking. I have yet to try out teff flour though! Coconut flour is one of my favorites and works so well in baked goods, I would recommend giving it a try!

kristi (sweet cheeks) June 19, 2011

those look absolutely fantastic!!!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 19, 2011

Now we’re talking! I think this is officially my favorite recipe of yours. I love seeing non gluten-free individuals give gluten free a try. AND love that these brownies are oil free. Will definitely be making these for my bf. Brownies are the key to his heart (and a fantastic way to bribe him to do things around the house.. but don’t tell him I said that hehe)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 19, 2011

:) it’s a fun challenge!

Sierra June 19, 2011

Angela, thank you SOOO much for adding gluten free recipes to your blog! It is VERY hard to find gluten free dessert recipes that taste “normal” or even “decent” sometimes, but your recipes are always DELICIOUS and people are amazed that they are gluten free AND vegan! You are a wizard….when can we expect your cookbook? ;)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 19, 2011

They look fantstic!!! I’m not too adventuresome when it comes to flours. The most exciting I’ve gotten was brown rice flour. Usually I stick with white all-purpose. My thighs will probably hate me for that once I’m forty.

Kathy June 19, 2011

Looks decadent! And delicious too, those brownies! I may make these, once I learn some self control! And can find Teff flour…
For Father’s Day I made my father the 115 calorie Oil Free Pumpkin Muffins you have (and because I had a can of pumpkin laying around opened from the day before). Plus I had a heart shaped pan so I had a heart shaped pumpkin cake. I drizzled it with chocolate and my dad LOVED it!

aww that is awesome!!

Molly @ RDexposed June 19, 2011

oooo these are def being made in my kitchen in the future!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 19, 2011

The fact that you made brownies that are vegan, GF, oil free, and also don’t contain beans, and that they look so moist and decadent and wonderful…you truly outdid yourself, Angela!

And the photography is wonderful. The purple with the chocolate is a great color combo. Great work on it!

And no, I have never worked with teff. Many people rave about it, I’ve just never tried it. But after seeing your recipe, I think I need to start experimenting! :)

Page 1 of 3123»