Vegan-Friendly Cookbooks, Part I

IMG_7156

A great cookbook is a wonderful thing.

Cookbooks have the ability to excite, inspire, tempt, and comfort me all at the same time. A good cookbook can tease me with drool-worthy photography, engage me in a story, or help me figure out what the heck I’m going to make for dinner. Whenever I’m in a cooking rut, I know that I can flip through a few of my favourite cookbooks for instant inspiration.

Below are my most-used cookbooks. I waited to write this post until I was able to really get a feel for these books. Actually, there are a couple books still sitting on my shelf that I haven’t had a chance to try out, so those will be coming up this Summer in Part II. There are also a handful of cookbooks still on my wish list for some Summer reading. Yes, my summer reading includes cookbooks…totally normal, I say. ;)

For now, these are tried and true. Some are fairly new, but already getting quite worn…

I guess I should start where it all began!

IMG_7159

As you can see, this cookbook has received a lot of love!

Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton was the very first vegan cookbook that I purchased. Actually, when I bought it I wasn’t even a vegan, but just dabbling with this way of eating. I absolutely fell in love with the recipes from Dreena’s Super Charge Me Cookies and vegan gravy to her salad dressings and hide the lentils tomato sauce. ED & BV showed me that a vegan lifestyle was definitely an option in my life and it got my wheels turning.

Cookbook Highlights:

• While there are certainly recipes with soy products like Tofu and Tempeh, there are plenty of recipes without them too. It’s a good mix for someone like me who doesn’t eat tofu and Tempeh.
  • Dreena provides helpful notes on the sidebar of the recipes for substitution ideas and helpful hints for ingredients.
  • She has an entire chapter devoted to hummus. ‘Nough said. :)
  • Most of her recipes are fairly low in sugar and oil. I don’t find myself having to reduce the oil or sugar like I do with other cookbooks.
  • She uses a lot of whole grains and whole grain flours in baking recipes, such as spelt, oat, barley, etc. If you are trying to get away from white flour, this is a great start.
  • Over 150 recipes and 16 full-colour photographs.
  • Dreena has been working hard on her fourth cookbook…I’m already pumped for it!

Up next, Vegan Yum Yum by Lauren Ulm.

IMG_7151

Vegan Yum Yum’s blog was one of the first vegan blogs that I started reading back in 2009. I love Lauren’s writing style, fabulous vegan recipes, and breath-taking photography. Her photography was actually one of the reasons why I fell in love with food photography myself. When I found out that she was coming out with a cookbook, I was thrilled.

Cookbook Highlights:

• There is a beautiful photograph for each and every recipe in the book. Some recipes even include a few step by step photos. This is pretty ground-breaking for a vegan cookbook!
  • Lauren was featured on the Martha Stewart show for her adorable Knit Night Cupcakes. Yea, she’s pretty major. :)
  • It’s a great mix of quick & easy dinner recipes and more lengthy ones. Regardless of their difficulty, they all turn out decadent, fancy, and great for dinner parties or everyday.
  • If you are a fan of Tofu and Tempeh, you will find lots of recipes to please your every whim. Since I don’t eat tofu or Tempeh much, there are several recipes that I won’t make, but I still find enough to please me.
  • Lauren isn’t shy about using oil or refined flours, so occasionally I will try to adapt recipes to suit my own preferences.
  • This is without a doubt, my most used cookbook over the Winter months as there are a lot of comfort foods like warm creamy pastas and casseroles to suit my every craving.

IMG_6392-4

Eric bought me two cookbooks for my Birthday that I have wanted for a while now – Clean Food and Clean Start by Terry Walters.

Clean Food is a seasonal guide to eating close to the source with over 200 recipes. I’ve never come across a cookbook quite like this one! Here’s why:

Cookbook Highlights:

• The recipes are grouped by the seasons- a chapter each for Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. I just love this organization as it simplifies eating seasonally and locally.
  • Clean Food challenges me and gets me out of cooking ruts because there are a lot of ingredients I have never used before, such as Watercress or Arame. For some people, this would be a cookbook nightmare, but I love trying new vegetables or grains because it’s easy to fall into a rut.
  • With that being said, I wouldn’t say this is a last-minute cookbook. Most of the recipes require some planning and grocery shopping in advance.
  • There’s a very detailed section on grains, vegetables, soy, nut & seeds, oils, and unusual ingredients like Sucanat or Kelp. Whenever I find myself unsure of how to prepare something, I go straight to this cookbook to guide me. This cookbook is extremely detailed and you can tell that so much work went into it.
  • This cookbook isn’t vegan, but I would say that most of the recipes are vegan or easily adapted to be vegan! That’s pretty exciting.
  • There are no pictures, which makes a visual person like me a bit sad, but I was delighted to see lots of yummy pictures in her second cookbook…

Clean Start!

IMG_6396

Clean Start is very similar to Clean Food in terms of unique, seasonally organized recipes, however this cookbook has plenty of professional photographs. There’s probably a photograph for every other recipe in this book. It’s about half the size of the Clean Food (with about 100 recipes as opposed to over 200 in Clean Food), but the quality is still very much there. I’m just loving the visual appeal of this book. While I only recently acquired these cookbooks, I’ve already used them a handful of times and I know I will use them time and time again not only for recipes but as a cooking resource. I didn’t realize this initially, but all of the recipes in Clean Start are gluten-free! That is pretty amazing.

Here is a shot of the Clean Food Cookbook interior:

IMG_7164

Beautiful. :)

Now, let’s talk sweets for a moment because no kitchen would be complete without a couple dessert cookbooks, no?

IMG_7148

Sweet Freedom by my Toronto-based friend, Ricki Heller, is a lovely cookbook for those interested in baking healthier desserts without wheat, eggs, dairy, or refined sugars! In fact, I’ve never come across a cookbook that makes such an effort to use natural sweeteners and whole grain flours quite like this one does. If you are sick of desserts with white flour and gobs of butter, this cookbook will push your boundaries and open you up to a new world of baking.

Cookbook Highlights:

• Over 100 recipes for classic baked goods such as Banana Oat Bars, Ultra Fudgy brownies (yum!), Chocolate Pecan Pie, and Cinnamon Walnut Coffee Cake.
  • There are over 30 beautiful photographs
  • Ricki provides many helpful hints and recipes notes for substitution ideas or variations
  • Each recipe specifies whether it is corn free, gluten free, nut free, or soy free.
  • Recipes provide Imperial/Metric measurements
  • There is a very detailed guide on ingredients at the beginning of the book.

Finally, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero.

IMG_7146

If you are a cupcake fan, you will love this cookbook! It has full colour photographs for almost all of the 75 cupcake and frosting recipes that will have you thinking of reasons to bake yet another batch of cupcakes. VCTOTW also won Cookbook of the Year award by VegNews Magazine when it came out. Woot.

Cookbook Highlights:

• Most recipes feature easy to find ingredients and it also provides tips on cupcake baking and decorating (‘How to make kick-ass cupcakes’).
  • Fun, witty, and playful writing style throughout the book. (e.g., “Peanut Butter Cupcakes: We also call these Jimmy Carter Cakes because he was a peanut farmer and he loves solar energy. But no one cares about that. What they do care about is that these cupcakes are pushed to maximum peanuty capacity and still remain moist and fluffy. And that is almost as important as solar energy.”)
  • Many of the cupcake recipes have a lot of variations that you can try. For example, the Basic Chocolate Cupcake includes variations such as Peanut Butter Chocolate Heavencakes, Peanut Butter Bombes, Chocolate Mocha Cupcakes, German Chocolate cupcakes, and even Chocolate Orange cupcakes! Cool, right?
  • Cupcake chapters include: Basic Cupcakes (e.g., Golden Vanilla), Classic Cupcakes (e.g, Carrot Cake), Fancy Cupcakes (e.g., Orange Pudding Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache), and Frostin’s and Fllin’s (e.g., Coconut Pecan Fudge Frosting).
  • Did I mention that sometimes I just sit on the couch and stare at the pretty pictures? Eric calls it my ‘Happy Place’.

So there you have it- six of my most used cookbooks to date! Stay tuned for the Summer edition, Part II

I’d love to hear about your most-used cookbooks too!

Do you have any cookbooks that you use again and again or have you found any new ones that changed the way you cook? Share below.

1 Zestful Lou June 7, 2011

Whatever cookbooks I purchase MUST have lots and lots of pictures! I’m a visual person when it comes to food (aren’t we all???!!) and if there are no pictures, chances are I will not make it. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Gwyneth Paltrow’s new cookbook!! It’s my most-used to date.

2 Tichina June 8, 2011

I completely agree with you..it’s like they say “we feast with our eyes first”! I think that’s why I’ve made so many recipes from this site… props to your photography skillzzz Angela :)! I tend to look for recipes from bloggers rather than go to cookbooks, but after hearing that Gwyneth Paltrow has a cookbook I might just have to give it a shot!

3 Shanna, Like Banana June 7, 2011

Very informative recaps!

I love looking through cookbooks, but sadly I default to google when it comes to finding a recipe. Why is that?

4 Sharla June 7, 2011

Maybe you should get a cookbook holder for your countertop. :) That’s what I think I need to try anyway…then it will stay open and convenient!

5 Baking 'n' Books June 7, 2011

That’s my problem too. Lack of space in my “kitchen” for even tools – let alone cookbooks. I have a bookshelf I put them on, but I have so many other books to adorn that with. And it’s in the living space…which well, is all-open concept, so same thing really?

Okay, clearly I need more space ;)

Angela – didn’t you base some of your Lentil Loaf off the Clean Food cookbook? Was that a borrowed copy or how did you know that recipe without the book?

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Yes I actually found the recipe online (which I linked to in my lentil loaf post). :)

7 Ashley June 7, 2011

I love all these cookbooks! I plan on getting most of these once I get paid again!
I would say my most used cookbooks are How to Make Everything Vegetarian, How to Make Everything, Joy of Cooking and this little book of vegetarian recipes. Recently, I’ve bought a couple of cookbooks at booksales for muffins, cakes and holiday recipes!
I have one cookbook I go to when I need to go to my happy place– and it’s called the Coffee and Chocolate Bible:)
I go to blogs and websites such as foodgawker and this blog when I feel the need to be inspired! Since I work from home and at my computer all day, I find myself taking several needed breaks searching for cool recipes! :)

8 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Same here! I am going to write a post on my best online resources too….Tastespotting and Foodgawker are high on the list!

9 Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 7, 2011

Even though I’m not vegan I have a few friends who are. This is definitely helpful when I’m on the lookout for gifts, and I also am interested in adding a few new recipes to my repertoire. Thanks Angela!

10 Julie @ Shining From Within June 7, 2011

I love Vegan Yum Yum and VCTOTW. I know Giada DeLaurentiis isn’t vegan, but I love taking her amazing Italian dishes and making them my own! Love love love her.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

She’s amazing, isn’t she?

12 Lisa Fine June 7, 2011

I just got a copy of Clean Start as a birthday gift yesterday! The photos in it are beautiful, and I can’t wait to start using it.

I really love my King Arthur Flour baking cookbook, and the book Edible, which has stories and recipes from farmers and foodies.

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Ive heard great things about both of those cookbooks…I havent had a chance to check them out yet, but I will have to soon!

14 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 7, 2011

You had me at “entire chapter devoted to hummus!” YUM! My vegan friend SWEARS by that cookbook =)

Thanks for the delish suggestions! I’ll have to check some of these out! =)

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

15 Ricki June 7, 2011

Angela, I’m blown away! So honored that Sweet Freedom is one of your most-used books. :D Thank you so much for this wonderful review! I also adore the “Clean” books–they are beautiful to look at above all else. And who doesn’t adore Dreena Burton?! I can’t wait until YOU have a book out there so I can swoon over all the recipes in it, too! xo

16 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

It was my pleasure Ricki :)

17 Apron Appeal June 7, 2011

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck….this is what I’m coming to grips with. I love to eat healthy, members of my family cannot eat, dairy and eggs so naturally I gravitate to vegan recipes. We also have soy, bean and nut allergies so MUCH of vegan recipes I cannot use, but every day I realize how much I enjoy cooking meals that are “clean” and healthy. I’m going to have Boy put some cookbooks on hold at the library for me. I can’t wait to see where these books will take us.

18 J June 7, 2011

ReBar is in constant and loving use in our kitchen. We’ve had it for years and turn to it for so many stand-by recipes! I also love the Moosewood cookbooks, all of Heidi Swanson’s stuff and, of course, Mark Bittman’s “How to Cook Everything”! I’m not even vegetarian, and my top books are all veg/vegan-inspired!

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Great suggestions, thanks!

20 Ricki June 8, 2011

I LOVE ReBar, too! Well-used in my kitchen. :)

21 Julie (A Case of the Runs) June 7, 2011

I own two vegan cookbooks — Happy Herbivore and Veganomicon. Both very different styles but good results from both!

22 Suzanne June 7, 2011

One of my fave go-to cookbooks is SO EASY by Ellie Krieger (from the Food Network).
She makes healthy, fresh versions of popular recipes. I’m a flexitarian, and my husband is a meat-eater – but there is such a variety of recipes for both of us. Every recipe that I’ve made has come out delicious.

FUN TIDBIT: I also designed the book cover. ;)
I design cookbook covers, so I know my cookbooks!

23 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Wow thats cool….going to look it up…!

24 Kelly June 7, 2011

I just got Clean Start and have not made anything yet – have you tried any of the recipes? Honestly, I find myself wanting to make the fall and winter recipes even though it’s summer. Pumpkin muffins I could eat year-round…

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

yes I have tried a few now and Im loving it!

26 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) June 7, 2011

THank u for the recs!!!!! i love Veganomicon and Appetite for REduction! although veganomicon needs more pics!

27 Faith @ lovelyascharged June 7, 2011

The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen is one of my favorites. It’s also grouped by season! All of the desserts are vegan and most of the dishes are either vegan or have vegan variations – great stuff! I also love Healthy Cooking for Two (or just you), even though there is a little more substituting that goes on when I cook from that book.

28 Gen June 7, 2011

I looove cookbooks!!! Thanks for sharing some of your favorites!

29 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 7, 2011

Thanks Ange! I haven’t tried any of these, actually, except for the cupcake one. You should try out 1000 Vegan Recipes, it is like the ENCYCLOPEDIA of vegan food!

30 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

thanks! I havent heard of that one :)

31 Geosomin June 7, 2011

How it all Vegan and the Veganomicon are the main go to’s for me. I’m not vegan but ‘ve gotten the best recipes from them!

32 Krissie J June 7, 2011

I may have to pick up the cupcake book. I’m not a vegan, but a few friends do follow the lifestyle and having the know-how to make goodies for them would be very useful. Thanks for this awesome post!

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 7, 2011

I keep saying I need to invest in some vegan cookbooks, but haven’t yet! Thanks for this post it was helpful!

34 Sharla June 7, 2011

Why do we need cookbooks when we have your amazing recipe site!? :) This site is incredible, and I’m putting it on my own website as a resource for other vegans. Thank you SO much!! :)

35 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods.com June 7, 2011

When are you writing a cook book, lady?

36 Kim June 7, 2011

I love VCTOTW! That book is dangerous, but I love how each recipe is only for 12 regular size cupcakes instead of so many recipes that make 2 dozen (which is way too many for my small household). I like a lot of the recipes in Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson especially the chipotle mashed potato stuffed portobellos with fried leeks, the shepherd’s pie, all the pancakes, and her french toast recipes are great too. I keep being tempted to buy Veganomicon or Appetite for Reduction, but haven’t done so yet.

37 Michelle | Gold-Hearted Girl June 7, 2011

Great suggestions! I’ve always been intrigued by “Clean Food” – now I think it’s worth the purchase. :)

38 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) June 7, 2011

i just made the classic vanilla cupcakes yesterday out of VCTOTW! then i stuffed it with a raspberry rhubarb filling and coconut. my other favorite is the carrot cake cupcakes!

39 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 7, 2011

I love this post! I just started eating vegan and I’ve been on the look out for cookbooks. I also eat gluten-free and sugar-free, so I’m trying to find one that takes all into consideration. Thanks for the recommendations!

40 Rachel June 7, 2011

Well, I WAS using Dreena’s “Vive Le Vegan” and “Deceptively Delicious” by Jessica Seinfeld (not vegan, but easily adaptable).
But then I discovered Oh She Glows…..I don’t use cookbooks much anymore ;-)

41 Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 7, 2011

Eat Drink & Be Vegan is one of my favourite cookbooks right now!! I have 2 or 3 other vegan ones but I really haven’t used them too much. I am definitely going out to get that cupcake book – I need to learn how to decorate some ‘kick ass’ cupcakes! :-)

42 Katie Gibbs June 7, 2011

Eat Drink and Be Vegan is also my absolute favorite vegan cookbook. Dreena’s previous cookbook Vive Le Vegan is also amazing. I just made the cocoa banana muffins from EDBV on the weekend, here’s a pic: http://www.notyourparentsgranola.ca/2011/06/07/muffins-and-brownies/ They are yum!

43 Sonia (the Mexigarian) June 7, 2011

So far my most trusted cookbook is the classic Betty Crocker :) I look through there when I forget how to cook something or for ideas and how to make some healthier. It does provide healthy options and is far from a veggie or vegan book, but it works. This post reminds me I need to clear my shelves of books that I never use or to actually open some up.

I definitely want eat, drink be vegan and vegan yum yum. I got Vegan cupcakes for Christmas and have yet to bake anything! I have been on baking lockdown by Hubby. lol.

44 Sylvia June 7, 2011

I’m excited to try out the Terry Walters cookbooks. They seem so interesting and I’m always looking for new ways to use more vegetables. That’s why I really liked the Cook Yourself Thin books. They got me being more creative with vegetables. They do things like make chocolate cake with beets or cupcakes with zucchini. I also loved the spring risotto with asparagus, peas and zucchini. It helps that the pictures are pretty too! :)

45 Priscilla June 7, 2011

Hi Angela, I loved your post!
I consider myself a huge fan of cookbooks and I have some of the listed above, but your great reviews make me want to run to the bookshop and buy the all the rest. Ok I won’t, but I did add them to my wish list.
I’ll be anxiously waiting for the second part and my I say you should also have one! Your recipes rock!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

thank you :) I hope someday!

47 JenATX June 7, 2011

i agree! i like food blogs more for recipes because they typically provide pictures. I find that i’m a visual person and the pictures inspire me to cook more.

48 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit June 7, 2011

Great post, Angela! I absolutely love Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. It was my very first vegan cookbook. I think I’ve made at least 80% of all of the recipes. Have you tried Dreena’s other books? I didn’t know she’s coming out with a 4th. Can’t WAIT!
I have Clean Food too, but don’t like that it’s separated into seasons. I mean, it’s cool, but sort of hard to sift through…
My most used cookbook is definitely Elana’s almond flour cookbook (all gluten-free!). SO fantastic

49 Kaleigh June 7, 2011

I have a few of these, and I love them. My brother’s girlfriend got me a vegan cookbook for christmas, and for whatever reason my vegan treats always come out amazing (compared to the raw on the inside, burnt crisp on the outside non-vegan disasters I used to create).

Are there any books though that you have seen or tried that you don’t think are worth your money? I’m always hesitant to shell out the dough (especially when I have an awesome resource in Oh She Glows), if I’m not going to get a lot out of the book.

(a side note about the lack of photos in some cookbooks – I know that Clean Food for example chose to not include photos because it saved on printing ink thereby making it more eco-friendly!)

50 Lauren June 7, 2011

I love cookbooks! I’m a bit of a cookbook junkie. These all look great, thanks for sharing your favorites! I’m especially interested in the Clean Food book, sounds like a great resource.

51 Nancy D June 7, 2011

I have an ever-growing collection of vegan cookbooks, but there are four that would be my “most-used”:
1) eat, drink & be vegan, Dreena Burton
2) vegan yum yum, Lauren Ulm
3) Get It Ripe, by jae steele (fabulous front reading with tons of nutritional information)
4) Vegan A Go-Go, by Sarah Kramer (designed for the traveling vegan: lots of quick and easy recipes with readily available ingredients no matter where you are)
*Bonus: Dreena, jae, and Sarah are all Canadian and published by Arsenal Pulp Press!

52 Becca June 7, 2011

I actually don’t have ANY of those cookbooks, and I’m an avid vegan baker/cooker! Hmm, maybe they’ll be future purchases. I have read, however, VCTOTW and it is simply too cute!

On another note, I follow your blog daily, but apparently I missed that you don’t eat tofu or tempeh. Just wondering if it is a taste preference, digestive thing, or some other reason? Thanks!

53 Rhona June 7, 2011

I love your list. I do have to admit that I read cookbooks like novels. When I get my new vegan cookbook from amazon or Chapters, you can find usually find me that night curled up in bed reading thru the recipes and drooling over the pictures. I am a total sucker from vegan/whole foods cookbooks.
My fav’s include, Vegan YumYum, The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook, Vegan Diner, Happy Herbivore and Skinny Bitch: Ultimate Everyday Cookbook. I have at least 10 more to get thru but there is only so much time for this girl to cook.
I have to admit that I cannot wait for your cookbook to come out. I am excited because I know it will be whole-foods based vegan cooking which is what I really like. You can count on my local, Canadian support.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Aww thank you Rhona!
I am the exact same way re: curling up on the couch with a new cookbook…nothing makes me happier!

55 Caitlin @ TPL June 7, 2011

My favorties vegan one are veganomicon (post punk kitchen is amazing), vegan comfort food and vegan cookies take over your cookie jar

56 Holly @ The Runny Egg June 7, 2011

Honestly I don’t use many cookbooks — I usually use google to find recipes or I look at blogs!

57 Moni'sMeals June 7, 2011

I love CLEAN FOOD! I have many other cookbooks that I love and Yes, I repeat them over and over. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Great recaps.
Right now, I am borrowing a friends copy of Super Natural Every Day. Not Vegan but really great recipes in there. :)

58 Marta June 7, 2011

hiya. that picture is beautiful (from the clean start book)! That one is going on my wish list. Thanks for the inspiration! I am working my way out of a cooking rut too. I have 3 months left of my 4 month summer off from school and I’m just starting to feel inspired. Better late than never :D

59 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 7, 2011

I LOVE the Clean Food cookbook too. Have you used the Canyon Ranch cookbook? That one has some GREAT ideas.

Cookbooks vs. blogs are always a struggle for me. I have some fantastic books but my bookmarked recipes from the bolgs I read are out of control! Do you make a conscious effort to use one over the other?

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

I like to use both depending on my mood!

61 KATE June 7, 2011

every single one of these books are on my amazon wishlist now I know which to buy first!

62 maggie June 7, 2011

Love the book review! I too liked the vegan cupcake recipes – great basics to play around with your own creative flavor combinations.

xoxo
Maggie

mybreakfastblog.com

63 Emily June 7, 2011

My most used cookbooks are probably Vegan with a Vengeance, Vegan Table, and the Moosewood Restaurant cookbooks (vegetarian recipes, but easily adaptable). I also have the 30-minute Vegan and Raw Food for Real People that I really want to use more. The raw food book has a lot of desserts that look amazing!!

64 Gina (Yogattude) June 7, 2011

I have the clean start cookbook as well, but it seems like it’s mostly side dishes (since I don’t eat tofu and tempeh either)…lovely side dishes, however! I get most of my inspiration from blogs like yours;)

65 kaila @ healthy helper! June 7, 2011

I had no idea Dreena was coming out with a new book! That is so exciting! I loooove her recipes!

66 Amber K June 7, 2011

I have never been able to find a cookbook that combines everything I want. Vegetarian, gluten-free, quick & easy recipes without a lot of steps, with lots and lots of pictures.

67 O.C. June 7, 2011

Lovee Vegan Yum Yum! I can’t wait for the second one to come out.
Vegan with a vengance is pretty good too and they have an iphone app!

68 Angela June 7, 2011

Thanks so much for this. I’ve just started on Clean Food and so far I’m loving it. I can’t wait to try Sweet Freedom. It looks amazing!

69 Angela June 7, 2011

I’ve always wanted to check out EDBV. Sounds like a vegan cookbook classic everyone should have. Right now I’m exploring cookbooks by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. So far so good!

May I ask why you don’t eat tofu or tempeh?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Of course :) They tend to give me bad stomach pains! Im not sure if its an intolerance or what…

71 Rebecca June 7, 2011

I just got Eat, Drink, and be Vegan, what an incredible read! The hummus recipes and so many good eats all around! I’m not a vegan, but due to a milk allergy I’m dairy free, so I love Vegan books. :) Looking forward to more recommendations.

72 Lindsay June 7, 2011

Have you tried Veganomican? I won it as a giveaway and it has some really great recipes with a twist!

73 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

No I havent yet but its on my list for sure!

74 Wendy Irene June 7, 2011

I love how you used a jar of carob chips and a mixer as book ends in your picture. What a creative idea! Right now I am using the recipes in Dr. Neal Barnard’s Vegan 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart and love them!

75 Amanda (Eating Up) June 7, 2011

I love Canyon Ranch cookbooks. I’m super excited for the Peas and Thank You cookbook this summer!

76 Ashley M. [at] (never home) maker June 7, 2011

I really want to check out those CLEAN cookbooks. Thanks for the concise review/info!!

77 Rachel June 7, 2011

I have a LOT of vegan cookbooks. I love the ones you’ve mentioned here—the Caesar Salad dressing in Eat Drink and Be Vegan is AMAZING and it’s soy free and raw. I also really like Donna Klein’s cookbooks (Vegan Italiano, Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen, Tropical Vegan, Supermarket Vegan) since she bases her recipes on whole foods and ingredients easily found in a regular supermarket instead of a health foods store, and there are very few recipes that use tofu/tempeh (none in some of the cookbooks) and none that call for fake meats or fake cheese.

78 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 7, 2011

Oooh on our next friend date can we have a cookbook reading party!?!??! These sound awesome! I just bought Brendan Brazier’s new book and there are 200 vegan recipes in it. I can’t wait to start making some!

79 Katelyn (new kid on the vegan block) June 7, 2011

Thanks for the great reviews! I’ll buy anything that Isa Chandra Moskowitz writes, she is a genius and anything I’ve ever made tastes amazing! I also rely heavily on blogs :)

80 Ellie@fitforthesoul June 7, 2011

very cool list! I’m definitely curious about Vegan Yum Yum. I think I usually like to use the “Better Homes: Healthy Recipes”. I still have to get on to using Julia Child’s book a lot more too! :)

81 Julie June 7, 2011

My first vegan cookbook was Vegan Planet by Robin Robertson, I’ve used it so much the cover is coming off and some of the pages are loose. She does use soy products quite often though so now my new fave is Get It Ripe by Jae Steele, her cakes and cookies are winners every time AND she’s Canadian. She has a more recent one Ripe From Around Here that I’d like to get my hands on too.

I just joined my local library, mostly for the recipe books!!

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions!

83 Becky June 7, 2011

My most used cookbooks – How to Make Everything Vegetarian (Mark Bittman) and Color Me Vegan (Colleen Patrick-Goudreau). I love them both, but I wish that Color Me Vegan had been proofread more closely – I’ve found several basic errors in some of the recipes (like skipping steps) and a typo here or there. Still, I can’t recommend either of these books more highly!

84 Becky June 7, 2011

I meant to add that I’m sure that your upcoming cookbook will have an honored spot on my shelf, too, Angela! Outside of actual cookbooks, yours is the website/blog from which I print and try the most recipes.

85 Melanie June 7, 2011

im as obsessed with vegan cookbooks as i am with this site =X that being said, i just ordered 3 more cookbooks. *shhhhh* dont tell my carnivore errr i mean hubby ;)

86 Cat @Breakfast to Bed June 7, 2011

I always ask for cookbooks for Christmas, and I dream of an entire wall in my kitchen dedicated to them!!

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

that is a great dream!! I will join you.

88 Lauren June 7, 2011

I would love that cupcake one! Do you not eat tofu/tempeh for a certain reason? I was just wondering because my stomach is very sensitive when I eat larger amounts of soy, and I just connected it back to that (after eating tofu or drinking soy milk). I know I’m not allergic, but I think I may be sensitive/intolerant.

89 Kathi June 7, 2011

A book that I use alot is the Flexatarian Diet by Dawn Jackson Blatner. I like this book because all the recipes are for one person. Since my husband is not a vegan it makes it easier for me to cook meals for myself. I have tried a couple of recipes on him and he has like them so I am hopeful that I can convert him soon.

90 Kathi June 7, 2011

Any ideas how I can speed up the process? LOL!

91 {{well in l.a.}} June 7, 2011

Waiting for your cookbook! Thank you for continuing to post amazing recipes! I’ve also used the Babycakes Covers the Classics when cooking vegan & GF goodies for friends with food sensitivities. They’re photography & style is adorable! Cheers!

92 Stephenie Zamora June 7, 2011

Awesome books! Thank you for sharing them. I’m in need of some good cookbooks… and some spices and basics stocked in the pantry. Looking forward to checking these out. xo

93 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} June 7, 2011

A lot of your most-used cookbooks are my most-used cookbooks, too! I also use Mark Bittman’s (both How to Cook Everything Vegetarian & Food Matters) a lot. Not totally vegan, but lots of vegan options and adapting ideas. Plus every recipe always turns out delicious!

94 Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga June 7, 2011

Ok I *just* posted a cookbook review post with a link to a compilation post with reviews of about 25 other cookbooks I’ve reviewed in the past.

Most are vegan, but not all.

Today’s book isn’t vegan but because I know the author (Matt of Matt Bites), it’s super special to me :)

I have all of Ani Phyo’s books (except her newest one, Asian cooking) but I love them. They are easy, user friendly, and dont require a dehyd for many of the recipes nor really “fussy” ingredients.

Love Sarma and Matthew’s books Raw Food Real World, and Sarma’s other book, but the recipes are like “works of art” not so much “daily eats” type food.

I want to check out a few of the ones you mentioned here…specifically vegan cupcakes b/c Ive always heard great things about it.

love the post! :)

95 Mariah (picturespupsandpies) June 7, 2011

SKinny Bitch- Ultimate Everyday Cookbook is one of my favorittes! It was one of my first purely vegan cookbooks (I had mostly vegetarian cookbooks before that) and I love the recipes and pictures! She also has very useful information about why she uses certain ingredients!

96 Terry June 7, 2011

Angela, I’m so glad you’re enjoying CLEAN FOOD and now, CLEAN START, too! It’s an honor to be part of your journey and I appreciate your interest and support in my work! If you haven’t noticed yet, CLEAN START is also gluten-free, and I think you’re going to love how accessible it is (with many fewer unusual ingredients than CLEAN FOOD) and the baked goods are super yummy! Stop by the CLEAN FOOD page on Facebook sometime and join the conversation!

Eat clean live well!

Terry (author of CLEAN FOOD & CLEAN START)

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Terry, thank you so much for your comment! I truly admire you for what you do and the message you are spreading. Thank you for all your hard work!
Also, I feel silly but I didn’t realize that all of the recipes in Clean Start are GF! That is great! I will add this into my review. :)

98 Darlene June 7, 2011

I have been wanting to thank you so much for the recipes in this blog. My son has food allergies that leave us with one foot in the vegan world and one foot in the carnivore world. He’s allergic to dairy and eggs, but cannot tolerate any legumes, he has problems with many fruits and vegetables. I am a whole foods kind of gal but I was finding it so difficult to find recipes that I wouldn’t have to modify until they lose all meaning. I have found more resources on your blog than anywhere else I’ve looked (and believe me, I’ve looked!!) Your baked goods especially have changed our lives. He used to get jealous at play dates, seeing what delicious snacks the other kids had. I always felt AWFUL!! Now he could care less what they’re eating, because he’s having a pumpkin doughnut, and it doesn’t get better than that :) Thank you!!

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 7, 2011

Darlene, that is so wonderfult to hear. It makes me so happy to hear that your son can enjoy treats again!! Thank you for your kind words.

100 janet June 7, 2011

As a (relatively) new vegan (longtime quasi vegetarian), I found vegan cookbooks definitely help make the transition so much easier! In fact, I had a handful of vegan cookbooks before I went vegan and they really changed my life.

My favourite vegan cookbooks:
1) Radiant Health, Inner Wealth by Tess Challis. Without a doubt, this cookbook changed my life. The recipes are so flavourful and healthy, you don’t miss anything at all. She has a second cookbook (Two Week Wellness Solution) which is much shorter with some repeated recipes but still good. Some of my favourite dishes are the Black bean, cilantro, and apricot salad; Edamame Miso Dip; Thai tofu and tropical fruit salad; Tamarind date chutney; Divine mango pie.. gosh, too many to list!
2) Appetite for Reduction. It took me a while to warm up to the recipes, but mostly everything I have made has been great. Some highlights are the Mango BBQ Beans
3) ExtraveganZa. Also a lovely cookbook with lots of recipes for fresh produce. A large collection of baking recipes which I have ignored so far.

But yeah, great cookbooks are worth their weight in gold! :)

101 Lauren @ Color Me Happy Grrl June 7, 2011

I love Vegan Yum Yum! I just bought myself Veganomicon, and it seems great. I just love reading it and find myself laughing, just like with Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar — OMG Mexican Chocolate Snickerdoodles?! Yes please.
Vegan Table is organized by season too — and CPG’s recipes are always good.

102 Talia Lapid June 7, 2011

I think you’d love “Color Me Vegan”. It also has a great and innovative way of categorizing its recipes–based on color (with the reasoning that each color variety provides different and important vitamins and minerals). It is also a whole foods vegan cookbook so there is little or no soy involved. I LOVE IT. Check it out! :)

103 bitt of raw June 7, 2011

Way to promote the books that inspire you! Hope your cookbook is sitting on the shelf next to them someday.

I have to say Vegan Cookies Invade your Cookie Jar is really good too, every one is a hit I’ve made. I love a lot of raw books, but many require special equipment which is no big deal to me. Top raw book: Sweet Gratitude. Raw pie heaven!

104 Lizzie June 7, 2011

I just borrowed this book from the library called, “Power Foods”, from the editors of Whole Living magazine. It has some great nutritional info at the beginning, which is helpful when deciding what kind of recipes you want. Of course I also have my mum, nana, and grandma recipes :)

Angela – last night I made your vegan mac and cheeze w/ butternut squash. The husband enjoyed and said while he wouldn’t eat it all the time, he would definitely eat it for something different – for something that has nutritional yeast in it, that is huge coming from him! :) You also inspired me to go out and buy my first ever spring form pan and make that chocolate torte from last week. We’ve been devouring it since Sunday! I had to slice it into pieces to that the whole thing didn’t get eaten over the course of an evening. But FYI – I melted the chocolate in the microwave (in a supposedly micro-proof bowl) and when I opened the door, the dish exploded! Luckily it didn’t fly off into pieces (it was ceramic) and I was able to recover most of the chocolate, but I did a second round in a bowl over some boiling water on the stove. Absolutely NOT your fault at all, but wanted to bring it to your attention.

So, I guess you could say, your website is also becoming a go to cookbook! :)

105 Kelsey June 7, 2011

love this post! as a new vegan, I’m always on the hunt for great cookbooks–great list!! Of course, I consider your blog one of my go-to “cookbooks,” too :)

106 kris (everyday oats) June 7, 2011

I love vegan cupcakes take over the world!
I hope to see all your best recipes in an Oh She Glows cookbook soon! :)

107 Kate (Bread & Chocolate) June 7, 2011

I use Whole Foods Market’s website as my “virtual cookbook”. With food allergies (gluten and dairy) they have plenty of options for me, at my fingertips. Like this simple summer salad idea (makes a great lunch or dinner) – Forbidden rice with sweet potato, red pepper, and green onions. Enjoy!

108 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 7, 2011

I’m obsessed with Dreena’s super charge me cookies – if those are any indication of the rest of her cookbook, then I think I should buy it! I only have Clean Food out of that list, and I love what I’ve tried so far. I agree that I wish there were pictures though!

109 Tori (Fresh Fruition) June 7, 2011

Love this post! I’ve been trying to experiment with some vegan-ized stuff lately. I’d love to explore it more!

110 Emma (Namaste Everyday) June 7, 2011

thanks so much for the reviews! I want some vegan cookbooks for my birthday, and I’m definitely adding some of these to my list!

111 Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats June 7, 2011

Personally I never use cookbooks. I’d so much rather browse through blogs and see all the gorgeous food pictures and detailed instructions. All my cookbooks just sit around unused!

112 Amanda Jewell @ Science&Bananas June 7, 2011

Okay I’ll admit, I don’t own a single cookbook. But I totally use recipes that I find online from Eat, Drink, Be Vegan. I am going to purchase the book one day. I swear. But for the most part, I use your recipes(!) and those from the other blogs I read. You guys just keep supplying such delicious food so who needs a cookbook?! :-)
Btw, have you checked out Elena’s cookbooks? She even has one entirely devoted to cupcakes (!!). They’re all gluten free, which I know you aren’t, but nevertheless, they are FANTASTIC.
(http://www.elanaspantry.com/)

113 Angela Bonnell June 7, 2011

I don’t know if anyone mentioned it but, QUINOA 365 is an awesome cookbook. I’ve never used a cookbook as much as I have that one. Also, I recently started using REFRESH by Ruth Tul. Both of these are my go to books:)

114 Mary June 7, 2011

I LOVE cookbooks!!! I am also working my way toward becoming vegan, and these suggestions for new cookbooks will really help. The only one I have so far is Clean Food.

115 Steph June 7, 2011

I adore Sally Schneider’s A New Way To Cook. Although not vegan or even vegetarian, Sally has an excellent eye for healthy cooking: she uses little meat and dairy, and lots of fresh veg and beans. Her glossaries and quick-reference pages for cooking beans and grains are bookmarked and ready on my countertop at all times. I rave still more in my Amazon review, in case you need a little more convincing before you rush out and buy a copy! :) http://www.amazon.com/review/R1D3X6JNZ7PKCV/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

116 Stacy June 7, 2011

Love your blog and just had to comment this time. I got The Vegetarian Collection for Christmas and love it. Published by Canadian Living magazine it has lots of easy, off the pantry shelf recipes. Definitely my go to cookbook.

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

Ohh I spotted that book the otehr day and was curious! Thanks for letting me know.

118 megan @ the oatmeal diaries June 7, 2011

Great reviews! ED&BV is one of my favorites too. I also recently got “Appetite for Reduction” and love it!

119 Megan@eatmybeets June 7, 2011

oo those clean books look great! I love cookbooks but infrequently use them haha. I find that I’m too finicky. But recently I’ve had some great successes. i may have to check these out. Thanks!

120 'Dee June 7, 2011

Oh, where do start? I have SO many cookbooks. I guess the Williams-Sonoma cookbook series gets the most wear — especially the Seafood, Pasta, and Risotto editions! I also bought my husband a Bobby Flay book that gets pulled out quite a bit and last year gave him a Mario Battali one that is now on frequent rotation.

Besides actual cookbooks, I find a ton of ideas on many of the blogs I follow. My in-laws also give us an annual subscription to either Bon Appetit or Food & Wine magazines and those are very (very) frequent sources of the recipes we try.

I have eyed several vegetarian and vegan cookbooks in the bookstore but couldn’t quite decide which one(s) to try first. We have been steadily adding “meatless” meals to our diets and I am in need of fresh ideas that ensure we still get enough protein. So thanks for the recs!

121 Silvia @ skinny jeans food June 7, 2011

Angela, thanks for the vegan cookbook reviews! It pointed me to the Vegan Yum Yum blog and I ordered the cook book today.

Just yesterday I received the Ottolenghi book PLENTY which is absolutely gorgeous and inspiring recipes; they are vegetarian, but many are also vegan. I had seen a store copy in a local Williams-Sonoma and browsing it I knew I would make many recipes. I recommend it!

122 Meredith June 7, 2011

I LOVE VCTOTW, as well as Isa and Terry’s cookie book – so many good recipes, and although they’re not always the healthiest, I’ve had great luck with adapting the recipes to use whole grain flours, less oil, etc.

My favorite cookbooks are definitely any of Isa Chandra Moscowitz’s but Appetite for Reduction is my recent favorite – it’s a low fat cookbook, so I do add things like nuts and avocados to the recipes as I’m not looking to lose weight, but the recipes are fantastic! And a huge chunk of them are gluten free, and there’s definitely a huge focus on vegetables, grains, and beans. It’s also super pantry and budget friendly, which is great for students like myself (or anyone really!).

I also use the Internet (especially sites like yours, Healthful Pursuit, No Meat Athlete, Foodgawker, etc.) for lots of inspiration!

123 Hannah June 7, 2011

Hey thanks for the reviews! My favorite staple recipe book is 1000 Vegan Recipes, but I love all of Isa’s cookbooks for really fun recipes!

124 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 7, 2011

Like I’ve said before, I really want to grab a copy of Dreena’s books. But I love Alice Walter’s books, and definitely look towards cookbooks for inspiration, especially in food photography!

125 Kat @ Cupcake Kat June 7, 2011

I love cookbooks and I sometimes have more than 10 out at a tiem from the library! I have read a few of these but the ones I haven’t sound awesome. I definately need to read them

126 The Che June 8, 2011

Hi! I’m not sure how I ended up on your blog today, but I LOVE IT! I made the change to eating very clean and mostly vegan almost 1 year ago and the transition has changed my life! But with that change I’m now always looking for new recipes and ways of doing things and I often feel like somewhat of a pioneer. Looking through your blog is like having a buddy–you love the vitamix, so do I, you have recipes with clean ingredients, me too…plus you are giving me great ideas on cookbooks and tools. I’m excited to look at more of your recipes! Hooray! I like you blog.:)

127 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

Virtual healthy buddies! :) Thanks for your kind words.

128 Cassidy June 8, 2011

Hey Angela! I stumbled across your blog about a month ago, and I’ve been hooked on it (and Vegan Overnight Oats) ever since! I’m not vegan, but I love your recipes and have made so many of them. Your posts and recipes have been the catalysts that have kick-started a whole new way of eating for me, and because of your passion for health & wellness, I now have a newly found respect and appreciation for it as well. You are RADIANT!!!

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

Thank you Cassidy! So glad you are enjoying the recipes :)

130 Kristy H June 8, 2011

Thanks for a great review on these cookbooks, will have to get my hands on a copy of them. My favourite vegan cookbook is easy vegan ( the best cinnamon red curry in this one) and I just bought another cookbook today due to being inspired by this post. Love the cover of the vegan cupcake book, yummmmm!

131 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 8, 2011

I purchased Vegan Yum Yum after seeing it on your blog and I love it!! :)

132 Mel June 8, 2011

I get 90% off all my recipes from online, I print them, laminate and organize into a folder, it saves money for me. However I do love Raw Magic by Kate Magic Wood Im not a raw fooder but this makes raw food something special and kinda sparkle.

To be honest my favourite place for raw food recipes are here on your blog, Ive taken so many because they are super easy but you use as much healthy alternatives as you can. Theres nothing I hate more than something super complicated, the only thing Ive changed in your recipes are upping the spices, I like hot food especially since I live in a multicultural area where indian food is everywhere lol but yeah your recipes are perfect for me.

133 Kristina June 8, 2011

What a great idea about laminating your recipes! I find I print them and eventually they get wrecked or lost. How do you laminate them?

134 Mel June 8, 2011

I bought a special laminator for £10 Im not sure what that is in dollar but I got it from British alternative to WalMart and its so sturdy. You can get 100 sheets for about £2 as well and its so simple to use.

Plus if they get dirty they can just be wiped down, which is good because when Im cooking it gets smeared with flour chocolate etc so you can have it close to you and not be afraid to touch it unlike books.

135 Star June 8, 2011

I LOVE your blog and all the ideas I get from you! I actually MAKE some of your recipes, rather than look at them and think about making them like I do most books and blogs! :) I have never commented before, but I have two cookbooks that I use all the time. Perhaps not refined enough for you…but for those who may be transitioning to a vegan diet, they are great, especially if you have a family who isn’t thrilled about it. I am a home schooling mother of four. I have transitioned ALMOST totally to vegan but my family is not embracing it. I have been trying to “ease” them into it and these recipes have been incredible because they take child friendly foods and modify them AND they are written with a busy family in mind so they are pretty quick and simple as well. So far, my kids have liked everything I have made from them. They are called “Simply Weekly Meal Plans 1 and 2” and are from the Hallelujah Diet. I am not sure if they are available anywhere else, but I know they can be purchased from the Hallelujah Diet Website.

136 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

Thanks Star!

137 Kate June 8, 2011

I LOVE cookbooks and find myself using Canadian Living based ones a lot, right now, the Vegetarian Collection.

Lately, I’ve been using blog recipes more and more in place of cookbooks.

138 Robyn June 8, 2011

My new fave right now is Super Netural Everyday, by Heidi Swanson,,,and Angela I’m with you on the pictures in the recipe books(I wouldn’t by one without pictures!). I don’t buy nearly as many books with the great blogs like yours to go to(love, love it).

139 rawkinmom June 8, 2011

I Love a great cookbook!!!!! I have an obsession with them!!! :)

140 Kristina June 8, 2011

The book I am loving is a vegetarian one called, “The Complete Book of Vegetarian Cooking” edited by Veronica Sperling and Christine Mcfadden. It is packed full of pictures. On the left hand of a two page spread there is the printed recipe and directions with smaller pictures of the cooking steps and on the right side of each recipe there is a full size photo of the finished meal. There are lots of foreign type foods. I found it at a thrift store and am so glad I decided to buy it!

141 The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh June 8, 2011

I’ve been looking for some good vegan cookbooks to incorporate even though I’m not vegan. I’m thinking of getting Alicia Silverstone’s Kind Diet because I’ve heard some good things.

142 Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go June 8, 2011

I love cookbooks! I have a decent collection and really don’t need any more (since I haven’t even tried some of them, yet. Epic. Fail.), but seriously, everyone makes fun of me because, whenever I visit a bookstore, the two sections I haunt: cookbooks and art books. XD

143 Lauren @ TheRawCure June 8, 2011

Like a lot of your other comments, I too would like to know why you don’t eat tofu! :) Maybe address it in a post? (Unless it’s just a taste thing.)

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

I answered this in a previous comment, but its because tofu and tempeh give me stomach pains! Very sensitive to it…

145 mi-an June 8, 2011

I love the The Conscious Cook by Tal Ronnen. Really good gourmet vegan dishes!

146 Kathy June 8, 2011

Hey Angela, these look like some pretty good cookbooks, but…when are you going to publish a cookbook?! I would instantly buy it if you published a book ;)

147 Erin June 8, 2011

The New Laurel’s Kitchen by Laurel Robertson, Carol Flanders and Brian Ruppenthal

No pictures but IMO amazing! It has a chapter for every meal time and they cover the vegetarian lunch (which people often are scared of). It includes information, along with recipes, on making breads, pasta, yogurt, soymilk, ketchup, mayo, and much more. It isn’t vegan but it does provide information about making some recipes vegan. I love that they also give you information on a vegetarian diet. Along with a very extensive list on veggies, (along with a recipe or two to accompany information on season, cleaning, cutting, taste pref), they have an index in the back about what vitamins/minerals you get. Also included is information on pregnancy and vegetarianism along with children and vegetarianism. Oh! I also love that it has an emphasis on making things from scratch (although you don’t have to and can easily adapt).

Ah! Sorry so looong…. I got excited.

148 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 8, 2011

Thanks Erin! Sounds wonderful. :)

149 Sara (The Veggie Eco-Life) June 9, 2011

I really really really LOVE this post! Thank you very much for it. From these cookbooks I only own Vegan Yum Yum but I adore it (I do like tofu and her recipes are wonderfull). I’m a cookbookaddict, so this comes in handy as I have to decide which ones to buy :)

150 Diana @ VeggieNextDoor June 10, 2011

I am very grateful to the many many many people on twitter who have been recommending you & your blog. I finally checked it out and just added at least a dozen recipes to my “must try SOON!” list. I am looking forward to trying them, and to seeing what you post next!

151 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2011

Thanks Diana!

152 Kelly- Shiny Happy Vegan June 11, 2011

Great post! The only one of those cookbooks that I have is VCTOTW. My most used cookbooks at the moment are Veganomicon, Vegan With a Vengeance, and Skinny Bitch Ultimate Everyday Cookbook :)

153 Carla Mulligan June 12, 2011

Thanks for your recommendations. Dreena Burtons cookbooks have so many great recipes that although I’m not a vegan (yet) I am definitely leaning that way. I also have Vegan Yum Yum…great sounding recipes but haven’t tried any yet. Just wondering if you know…where has Lauren Ulm gone…Posting stopped to her food blog over a year ago and Internet searches have nothing since then either. Love your blog and recipes and all the other stuff here!

154 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 12, 2011

Im not sure, but I do miss her blog posts dearly!

155 Dolores June 19, 2011

Thanks for the recommendations! My most used cookbook is Veganomicon Moskowitz/Romero and I just ordered Viva Vegan! by Terry Hope Romero. Since I love latin food this is going to be one great cookbook for me. I can’t wait to get it!