Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

There’s nothing more entertaining than a grown man wearing a pair of Crocs,

IMG 6917   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

a coordinating Mastercraft tool belt,

IMG 6883   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

while using power tools.

IMG 6869   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

He’s a keeper, for sure. :) heh

IMG 6904   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

We’ve been plugging away at the deck each night this week. By the time I pick up Eric from the train station and we have dinner it’s already 7:30-8pm, so we don’t have much time to work during the week. Thank goodness for the long daylight hours in the summer though!

IMG 6866   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

We can work til just past 9pm right now which is great. After we finish up, we often go for a nightly walk around the neighbourhood. I love spending so much time outdoors.

IMG 6874   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

Eric built this ‘bistro’ table-top that overlooks one side of the yard. We want to find some outdoor bistro chairs for this spot, but we’re having a hard time finding any in our price range. It may have to be a stand-up bistro for now!

IMG 6970 2   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 6974 2   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

The table top overlooks our future volleyball/badminton net!

IMG 6976 2   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

We bought a volleyball set back in May, but we haven’t had a chance to set it up yet. It’s going to be fun for get togethers this summer. Friends can watch the game with their beer and food on the bistro table!

We also decided not to put glass in the two sections of the deck for three reasons:

• Expense- It was going to be about 10 times the price of the regular black rods!
  • 2.5 weeks wait time for delivery
  • Lots of upkeep/cleaning

It was a nice idea, but not very practical for us. This weekend we’re going to continue with the black rods and finish it up. Finally, the 3 sets of stairs are left! Eric says the stairs are going to be the biggest learning curve of the entire deck.

My veggies continue to thrive despite my best efforts to sabotage them… ;)

IMG 6894   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

I’m not sure what’s going on with the yellowish leaves at the bottom of my kale and spinach…?

I feel like a new mother of sextuplets worrying about her newborn babies! Ok, ok not even close but you know what I mean. Eric always laughs because I check on the plants all the time to look for new growth or ‘danger signs’.

Our conversation goes a little something like this:

Me: ‘WHOA! Look how much the kale/spinach/pepper plants have grown! They are so much bigger today.’

Eric: ‘I don’t think they are any different than yesterday…’

Men!

IMG 6897   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

By the way, here is my rough garden plan if anyone is interested (click to enlarge)

IMG 0630 thumb1   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

I’ll let you know how it goes at the end of the summer… ;)

Dill, anyone?

IMG 6898   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

Wussy dill plant can’t handle my wrath!

The rest of the herbs are doing well in their new spacious pots. I also planted some basil seeds in the 5th pot. Nothing beats fresh basil!

IMG 6899   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

Oh and the squirrels continue to break into my compost bin! I’m going to have to put some chicken wire around it this weekend I think…

For breakfast this morning, Eric and I enjoyed Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats! I made a big batch last night, mixed it together, and breakfast was waiting for us when we came downstairs. Eric is hooked on vegan overnight oats lately. It took him a while to get over the strange texture, but now he’s cool with it. Adding crunchy granola and nuts really helps with the texture for him.

IMG 6969 2   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

This is so insanely delicious! It reminded me a bit like Blueberry Pie. Eric demolished about half of this casserole dish. :)

I have a lot of bakery orders to catch up on today, so I best get cracking. Canada Post also went on strike this week so I have a few shipping issues to sort out. Doh! The weather is cloudy and cool today (clearing in the late afternoon), so best to spend it inside getting things done.

Thankfully we have a fun BBQ gathering to look forward to tonight, so the day isn’t a complete wash.

As for Sunday, I’ll be waiting for the sun and 25C weather forecast.

IMG 6885   Blueberry Banana Pie Vegan Overnight Oats

My hat is ready.

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 4, 2011

The deck and garden are looking great! I tried to convince my husband to build ours… but he lost his man-card and admitted he couldn’t do it! its hard work! you guys rock!

Have a great weekend! <3

xoXOxo
Jenn @ Peas & Crayons

OSGMOM June 4, 2011

The garden and deck are coming along so well! Please hold that sunny 25C for my arrival. I can’t wait to see you both :)

Marissa June 4, 2011

that deck of yours is quite impressive! you’ve got yourself a SERIOUS handyman! i love the bistro area that he built, and i imagine that it will be great for your blog food photography too.

Molly @ RDexposed June 4, 2011

I’m eating pretty much the exact same thing as I read your blog! Mine isn’t vegan though. Definitely a good breakfast!

Christina @ The Athletarian June 4, 2011

The deck is looking better and better every day! I am so impressed with Eric’s deck-making abilities! He is definitely a handy man :D

Those overnight oats looks amazing. Bananas + blueberries = bliss. I first learned about them on your blog and tried them once and loved them! I’m definitely going to be eating them a lot more now that Toronto weather is getting warmer! I can swap my hot oats for cold oats now!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) June 4, 2011

I’m not surprised Eric polished off half- I probably would’ve eaten all of it cos it looks so yummy! :D

And I LOVE your garden plan!! I want to grow veggies too!! Hehe that conversation between you and Eric is TOO FUNNY! Men! :P

Kim June 4, 2011

I love your progress reports on the garden– makes me miss having a yard where I can grow things!

FYI- Yellow Leaves usually means either too much or not enough water

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

that’s what I was afraid of! eek!

Lovethisblog June 4, 2011

Try letting it dry out between waterings and then watering it until the water comes out the bottom of the pot. That usually does the trick.

Kerry June 4, 2011

I love reading about your garden exploits. You are embracing the best part of gardening: laughing and learning from your mistakes and having a let go attitude about it! The little yellow leaves at the bottom of your kale is quite normal, I notice it all the time with my kale and they turn out just wonderfully!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Thanks for the tip!

VeggieGirl June 4, 2011

Beautiful garden and oats!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit June 4, 2011

Sweet crocks. I can’t believe how quickly the deck is coming together. You are lucky to have such a handy husband. I like the black rods, they give the deck nice character. Enjoy your gardening/ deck building/ BBQing weekend!

Radha June 4, 2011

I read your blog everyday and love it! Love your ‘backyard saga’ installments. And of course, your recipes <3 I am planning to make the Chocolate Torte for hubby since it is gluten free. Have a lovely summer.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 4, 2011

Such I pretty dish! I really like the idea of making it in a larger portion. I do a single version just like it but without the syrup and with a scoop of protein. It’s a great post-workour breakfast! :)

Becki @ Bites 'n Brews June 4, 2011

One thing you should get him for more entertainment: a utilikilt. Men in skirts: priceless.

Krysta June 4, 2011

WOW! So impressed with the deck!

Check out overstock.com for affordable outdoor furniture. I’ve had success with them before and their shipping can’t be beat.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Thanks!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 4, 2011

The deck looks great so far!! What a great idea to make overnight oats in casserole form. I love the combo of blueberries and banana.

Lauren June 4, 2011

The deck is looking so good and so are the garden plans! I can’t wait to get a yard of my own so that I can do fun things like this! I would love a garden. Also those oats are making me really hungry!

Holly @ The Runny Egg June 4, 2011

The deck looks beautiful! Too bad about the glass though.

My brother in law redid his deck last year and I remember the stairs was the hardest part — good luck to Eric!

Kate June 4, 2011

Your garden looks fantastic; my new plants are just starting to sprout after my dogs destroyed the first ones….animals seem to find their way into anything!

I do really love the ‘bistro’ countertop. The deck looks very nice too. At least Eric’s crocs are subtle neutral ones instead of the bright coloured orange or blue ones (or pink, but I don’t think he’d willingly get those). Now, those are just plain ugly and don’t match with anything.

Julie @ Shining From Within June 4, 2011

that’s such a good idea to make a big batch of VOO!
I gotta tell you.. be careful for the yellow leaves.. I think that means they’re gonna die! My tomatoes were vibrant green, then a few days later I got some yellow leaves, and soon after that they died. :( So keep a close eye on those babies of yours!

Nicole June 4, 2011

I have been keeping a close eye on my new veggie garden, too. We had to build an enclosed garden with cedar poles and chicken wire to keep the animals out. Coincidentally, the only plant that isn’t thriving is my dill! So its not just you ;)

Clare - Never Niche June 4, 2011

So this is super off topic but I just wanted to say that I’ve been reading your blog for over a year now and I deeply admire your marriage. The love between the two of you is so apparent and you seem to enjoy one another as friends too. I hope to have that someday.

Gina (Yogattude) June 4, 2011

I love the deck…it’s so fantastic that you two are able to build it yourselves and put your own personal touches on it…wow! I love summer BBQ’s and the late daylight hours…have fun!

Meredith June 4, 2011

Those overnight oats look sooo good. I’m definitely going to have to try them, I love blueberry and banana together! Great idea to make a few days worth of them!

char @ char on a mission June 4, 2011

So many those oats tonight…after I buy some blueberries, of course!!! I didn’t know Canada Post was on strike…that might make it a little hard for my hubby’s birthday present being delivered (so I’ll d’oh to that one)! I hope the rain holds off for your BBQ. I thought we were done with the rain here :( I hope so by tomorrow because I have a hike planned in Hockley!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

I think they are striking in ‘waves’ or something? A couple of my shipments are running late…boo!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 4, 2011

Hahah at least Eric’s belt and shoes match! And whatever it takes for him to complete the deck seems to be working so far!

I’m definitely making this blueberry overnight oats recipe tonight :)

Chloe (South Beach Girl) June 4, 2011

It’s awesome that Eric is so crafty! I remember when you guys were doing work on the inside of the house, and now you are on your way to a beautiful deck.
I also like the black rods better, and I’m sure you’ll appreciate not having glass panels in the winter or when there are teeny hands that press up against them and make hand prints :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

aha yea exactly! We have enough glass in the doors inside the house…

kaila @ healthy helper! June 4, 2011

Wow the deck looks great so far! What progress!!! And I just planted my garden today too….I am hoping everything goes well….I am in the mood for some fresh veggies!

Baking 'n' Books June 4, 2011

Yikes – they did go on strike didn’t they?! Hmm, they presents some serious problems.

Great job with the deck!

Ashley June 4, 2011

Ahhh, loving the deck!!! We’re about to head to Home Depot to get some things to build a little fire pit. I found a super cheap DIY fire pit on Young House Love. The VOO looks YUM!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 4, 2011

Your deck looks so nice!!

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious June 4, 2011

Your deck is looking great – I think the black rods look really sharp!! I’m loving the overnight oats combo — breakfast that tastes like pie? Yes please!!

Sarah June 4, 2011

The deck is looking good! Way to go guys! As for your garden, you naturally have a green thumb :) Men, they can be such downers sometimes!

I made overnight oats last night too :)

Have a great weekend!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 4, 2011

Haha ohhhh crocs ;) I need to switch up my cookie dough bowls — I love having something cold to eat first thang in the morning!

Mama Pea June 4, 2011

Totally off topic, but have you seen The Voice? Cee-Lo wears red shorts, a red t-shirt and man-sized red Crocs and every week, Lulu points at him and laughs hysterically. Grown men in Crocs are a riot.

Shannon @ My Place In The Race June 4, 2011

Definitely a keeper he is :D

The deck looks amazing so far! And so do those oats!! :P

Ashley June 4, 2011

at least he’s wearing men’s crocs! my husband wears my hot pink ones outside all the time, but says he “doesn’t like crocs”! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 4, 2011

Hah! It takes a confident man to wear pink…I like it.

O.C. June 4, 2011

Those oats look super yummy!
Your garden and deck are coming along really well. Gardening is so soothing to me. We have issues with animals in our compost too, though mostly just ants here in florida and I dont want to put any icky pesticides down to get rid of them.

The Healthy Hipster June 4, 2011

OH MAN! Tis the season for VOO and I have a costco sized bag of blueberries with this recipe’s name on them ;) Thanks for the lovely breakkie inspiration, Angela!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen June 4, 2011

haha Love it! The deck and garden are looking great!

Moni'sMeals June 4, 2011

Seriously Angela, you both should be so proud of your hard work with the garden and the deck, it looks SUPER! Yes, your hat is ready for you. :)

Now to this Blueberry Banana Overnight Pie Awesomeness! Yum. What a great recipe to have.

Page 1 of 3123»