Sunny White Sangria

IMG_5727

When the sun won’t shine for your birthday party, make a Sunny Sangria instead. :)

I’ve been gearing up the past couple days for my birthday party tonight. We’re having about 25-30 people over so it should be a great time! This makes the first of two birthday potlucks this weekend. We have another with family tomorrow at our place too. Hopefully, the house is still standing by then, but I’m not making any promises. ;) My actual birthday is Monday and Eric is taking me out for dinner.

I better loosen my belt!

For today’s party I’m making Sunny White Sangria, Raw Triple Berry Fruit Crisp, Homemade Edename Hummus & veggies, chips & Nacho cheeze sauce, salsa, and Eric is going to fire up the BBQ. Friends are bringing along a savoury or sweet dish, so I have a feeling there is going to be a ton of food!

IMG_5715 IMG_5719

Back to this Sunny White Sangria. You know, the one I was taste-testing at 8am this morning? Sometimes a birthday girl just needs a little wine for breakfast to kick off her day.

I’ve actually never made a White Sangria before, only red, so this was a new experience for me. I thought a White Sangria would be nice and Spring-like. Being the fruit lover that I am, I loaded this with orange, lemon, lime, mango, and pineapple slices, kissed with orange juice and natural cane sugar. It turned out pretty darn fantastic and I’m sure it will taste even better after chilling for the next 8 hours.

IMG_5733

Sangria, I’ll see you tonight! muhauha.

IMG_5736

In the meantime, I have some deck updates for you…

IMG_0350

Eric took a few days off work this week and Shayne and Dan helped him each day. They got so much done! It was such a great week weather-wise for deck building too.

IMG_0339

I’m so excited to be able to walk straight out onto the deck from the back door! I can’t believe I can finally walk on the deck now.

IMG_0374

There will be stairs going down in the middle (and stairs on each end).

IMG_0381

IMG_0375

I think they are doing such a wonderful job. You’d never know that a professional didn’t do this.

IMG_0377

When Eric made the deck plan, he wanted to include a couple sections with diagonal boards and they turned out really nice. It was a bit more work with math & measuring, but the result was worth it.

IMG_0378

This is all that remains for the base. After this comes the railing and stairs. The weather is calling for rain for a week straight, so it probably won’t be touched until end of next week, unless that changes!

IMG_0379

I’m off for a little hot yoga to kick off my day and then back to work getting this place ready for tonight.

Coming up, I have a delicious Raw Triple Berry Crisp to share. Have a great Saturday!

1 Miriam May 14, 2011

I don’t usually drink al lot but that sangria looks delicious! Happy birthday in advance, I hope you’ll have lots of fun! :))

2 Sara May 14, 2011

Wow I’ve never heard of that type of sangria, looks awesome! Actually it looks like sun tea…I might have too much. The deck looks great. Eric is a jack of all trades! Enjoy the party!!

3 The Teenage Taste May 14, 2011

I love the progress you two are making with the deck. It’s going to look beautiful! :-D

4 WIERDGREENMAN May 14, 2011

Happy Birthday! (Kind of.) The fruit looks amazing!

5 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 14, 2011

WOW!! The deck looks amazing! Happy Early Birthday my dear, and I can’t wait to see (and enjoy some sangria) with you tonight!! :) Have fun at yoga!

6 Nicole May 14, 2011

You might want to make a third batch of that Sangria, because I’m going to be all over it tonight! Hehe ;) It’s my favourite spring/summer drink. Too bad about the weather today, but don’t let that put a damper on the party!

7 Angela L. May 14, 2011

This looks AMAZING!!! Thank you for posting, I can’t wait to try it when we recieve our shipment of my house hold goods that has our wine collection in it. We just moved back to the USA from Italy, so our house hold goods are in storage until Friday.

8 Angela L. May 14, 2011

9 Jennifer@ knackfornutrition May 14, 2011

Happy early birthday! Oprah knows what’s up. That Sangria looks delicious.

10 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit May 14, 2011

That sangria is right up my alley! I have only had the regular red sangria but this looks amazing! I love anything with pineapple and mango!

I can’t believe how quickly the deck is coming along! It looks great! You will be deck lounging in the sun in now time!

11 Julie @ Shining From Within May 14, 2011

yay for birthdays :) you better bring it in with a bang! your deck is coming out gorgeous. it’s HUGE too!! I would sun bathe on that deck 24/7.
i love sangria but I’ve only ever had red and white seems so refreshing for spring! I’ll give to give it a go.

12 Gina @Runningtothekitchen May 14, 2011

Have a great birthday weekend, rain or shine! The deck looks great. I love diagonal boards to switch things up. The builder actually did that with our wood floors inside our house in two of our rooms and I love it :)

13 susie May 14, 2011

Wow, that looks good. My lil man. Turns 2 today so we wont have sangria but we do have an elmo jumphouse lol ;) happy early bday. Enjoy your party!

14 sam May 14, 2011

I was wondering if you could make a graham cracker, or animal cracker recipe using no butter or oil. I have been trying to look for one online but i cant find any!!!! Thank youu!

15 Ashley May 14, 2011

The deck looks outstanding!!! Way to go Eric + crew! Happy happy pre-birthday!! I’ve never made sangria, but love it. The fruit shots are gorgeous. So vibrant. Have a great weekend lovely!! xo

16 Emma @ Getting There & Going Places May 14, 2011

That sangria looks to die for! I want some!
The deck is coming along very nicely! Definitely could never tell it wasn’t done by a professional! The diagonal part look beautiful!
Have a great birthday party! :D

17 Abby White@Eat, Drink and Be Aware May 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Angela! I hope you have a great birthday weekend and the deck + sangria look great. Have fun at yoga!

18 katie May 14, 2011

the deck looks GREAT!! I feel old actually admiring a deck lol but it’s seriously so nice. It sounds like its gonna be quite the weekend, happy early birthday!!!

19 Holly @ The Runny Egg May 14, 2011

The deck looks beautiful! And it definitely looks professional!

I love sangria and it is the perfect choice for a big party meal. Happy (early) Birthday!

20 Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 14, 2011

Yum! I think that you’ll have to make this sangria again in a few weeks to celebrate your new deck. White sangria just screams backyard decks in the summer!

21 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing May 14, 2011

Happy Early Birthday! I don’t know if I’ve ever seen white sangria, but this looks divine; I think the fruits you chose to include are a big part of why it must work so well….mmm :)

Congrats on the deck coming along — it really does look professional!

22 Suzanne May 14, 2011

I don’t know what to comment on first…the GORGEOUS fresh sangria, the AWESOME, professional-looking deck, or your bday! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope you have a wonderful time! :)

23 Pam May 14, 2011

YUM!! This looks so good, I will have to try it soon! Hope that you have a wonderful few days of celebrating!! And Happy Birthday!

24 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans May 14, 2011

I love sangria!!

Happy early Birthday!

25 Bronwyn May 14, 2011

That sangria looks absolutely delicious! So sunny and spring like! I think it would fit well with brunch as well.

26 Sam May 14, 2011

Happy early birthday! I have the same birthday as you haha! But I’m probably ten years younger than you. I am obviously not allowed to drink but I think my mom will really love this. She loves sangria!! :D

27 stephie May 14, 2011

Have a great party!!

28 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty May 14, 2011

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a blast tonight!!!

The deck is GORGEOUS! outside living is so great!!

29 carol May 14, 2011

Hi Angela, Happy early birthday! The deck is coming along great! The sangria looks so yummy! I have a thing for lemons so this really turned me on!

30 Nikita May 14, 2011

Happy (early) Birthday! That sangria looks amazing! I’ve seen recipes for white sangria before, but never had any. It looks refreshing!

31 Megan@Dirty Dishes Daily May 14, 2011

I’ve never been a huge sangria fan but that looks amazing. I’m a sucker for citrus.

32 Abby May 14, 2011

Happy Early Birthday! I hope you have a great time celebrating with your friends and family. That is my plan for today as well because it is my birthday! :)

33 kaila @ healthy helper! May 14, 2011

I did hot yoga this morning! We are Saturday twins! :)
Can’t wait for that raw fruit crisp recipe! It sounds amazing!

34 Therese May 14, 2011

I’m so sad I can’t make it tonight (and I just realized, did I even RSVP?!?!?!?!) but it sounds like it’ll be a blast! Have loads of fun!!!

35 Julie May 14, 2011

Happy Birthday! I hope your new year is filled with happiness :-)

36 Grace @ Healthy Dreaming May 14, 2011

Enjoy hot yoga! I’m househunting this weekend and the outdoor space is so important to me. That deck is looking good already!

Sangria looks so yummy! I have a reservation at a Cuban place end of this month to take my sister when she’s visiting Tampa. They are known for their tableside sangria which looks like yours! DELISH!

37 Erin @ The Grass Skirt May 14, 2011

The sangria looks so good! I’m sure it will be a huge hit. The deck looks awesome! I’m impressed. Happy early birthday Angela! :)

38 Nichole (eat & be pretty) May 14, 2011

Sangria with orange juice… great idea! Kind of like a mimosa :) Deck is looking great too!

39 Hayley @ Oat Couture May 14, 2011

Ooh that looks so much more appealing to me than normal sangria!! I can’t believe I’ve never tried it before! Enjoy your birthday celebrations!! :)

40 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 14, 2011

I’ll take a slice of the berry crisp please!!

I love white sangria, in fact probably more than red. It’s definitely more light, fresh and springy, and I think your addition of mango is awesome!

The deck looks amazing, especially the neat diagonal part. It makes it look so professional :)

41 Alaina May 14, 2011

Both the sangria and the deck look great! Have a great birthday weekend!! :-)

42 gracefulfitness May 14, 2011

Happy early birthday! Mine was Thursday, May birthdays are the best!

43 Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 14, 2011

that sounds DELICIOUS! can’t wait to try!

44 Ragnhild May 14, 2011

I wish you the best birthday weekend Angela! Sounds like there is going to be a lot of foods and a lot of fun! Enjoy :D

45 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 14, 2011

Oh wow! That sangria looks delicious – and the deck is coming along great! I love sangria in the summertime. It is the perfect drink!

46 Amy May 14, 2011

Loving the diagonal boards! Go Eric!

Happy early birthday my sweet. xo

47 cassie May 14, 2011

i love sangria, especially white.. i have made white sangria before but with peaches…. this looks delicious.. have a happy birthday..

48 Mac May 14, 2011

Your deck looks awesome!

49 kris @ everyday oats May 14, 2011

The sangria looks delicious! Happy Birthday!

50 Moni'sMeals May 14, 2011

wow! whoa! wow! whoa!

I love Sangria and have quite few that I love to make. But I just really can’t get over yours and how FRESH it looks. You have to be careful with them though. :)

Now to the deck! It looks so amazing and I can’t believe you did not go out and hire anyone. :)

Happy Weekend and HappyYoga! And…Happy early bday!

51 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa May 14, 2011

The deck looks fantastic! They got a ton done in a short time. Props to Eric and his friends!

52 Tawney (Eat Hike Sleep Repeat) May 14, 2011

Three days of birthday! That’s the way to do it. Enjoy your family, friends and festivities.

53 Jill in Chicago May 14, 2011

Sangria and deck both look awesome and can’t wait for the raw Crisp recipe!

Question for you (and any readers) do you store your chia seeds in the freezer, fridge or cupboard? I’m about to invest in my first bag, and want to make sure I store them properly (i.e. I’m not sure if they could go rancid, like flax seeds.)
Thanks!

54 Chloe@321delish.com May 14, 2011

This looks heavenly. I bet if you simply put it in water, it would taste really great as well!

55 Emma (Namaste Everyday) May 14, 2011

I can’t wait to hear about the party details! as long as there is sangria in my opinion, it’ll be a good party. did you know it means “to bleed” in spanish? interesting, eh?

56 Andrea @ Vegvacious May 14, 2011

Have a great birthday weekend Angela! Enjoy your night & that sangria ~ I’ve never had white before, but it looks so light and refreshing!

57 Crystal May 14, 2011

Happy Birthday Angela!!! I know you said it isn’t until Monday but this is your Birthday weekend so you gotta milk it for what it is worth!

Your deck looks fantastic, too! I love wood decks. We have one back home but it’s almost at the end of its run.

58 Tracy @ Commit To Fit May 14, 2011

Love Sangrias – white and red :) Have a great birthday party!

59 Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) May 14, 2011

Enjoy your hot yoga!

But I want to enjoy that sangria. I just landed in Aruba. It’s the day of my 10 year wedding anniversary. And I just got published in a magazine.

It’s totally sangria time for me. It looks GLORIOUS! and so refreshing!

60 Ashley May 14, 2011

Never had a sangria– but I love white wine, and this looks so springlike! Have a great birthday weekend!

61 Angel7 May 14, 2011

Happy Early Birthday, and have a fun time at your party!!!

The deck looks awesome!

62 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 14, 2011

I’ve actually never had sangria before but this makes me really want to try it. It sounds so fruity and delicious!

Enjoy your birthday celebrations this weekend! :)

63 megan @ the oatmeal diaries May 14, 2011

Ooh happy birthday!! This sangria looks BEAUTIFUL :)

64 Olya May 14, 2011

I hope you’ll have a great party! Deck is amazing!

65 Baking 'n' Books May 14, 2011

Oh yes – HAPPY B-DAY! It looks like you got some sun? All rain in the forecast here for the next week! Ugh – that’s what we get for nice weather last week.

66 Sam @ the neurotic yogini May 14, 2011

Your deck looks beautiful! And that Sangria.. MMM! Never tried a white Sangria before either! But you’re right, it just looks so springtime!!! :)

67 Amy S. May 14, 2011

My sister’s birthday is Monday too! :) she will be turning 21, and I have a bottle of Pinot to spare so maybe I will make her this sangria! Looks delicious!

Raw triple berry crisp sounds amazing! Can’t wait for the recipe :)

Have a fantastic birthday weekend!

68 Felicia (Natural + Balanced) May 14, 2011

deck looks great, i love sangria, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY! have a great weekend!

69 Maria @ Scandifoodie May 14, 2011

So glad to have found your blog through Marla!
I love how colourful and summery this drink is and I can’t wait to browse through your other gorgeous recipes!

70 Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food May 14, 2011

I absolutely love Sangria and have made many different versions of it! I can’t wait to try this one…it looks so good!
Your deck is coming together! I am jealous of it! It’s so big and roomy! :-)

71 Kate May 14, 2011

What a fun drink I love red sangria but have a feeling I will love this white one just as much!

72 Lauren May 14, 2011

This looks amazing, like a bug jug of summer!

73 Kristen - Anywhere There's An Airport May 14, 2011

LOVE this recipe!

I am an American living in Spain. Brace yourself for this… the “real” Spanish sangria is made with Fanta! Yes, that orange sugar soda. Yuck! I much prefer yours!

74 Lynne May 14, 2011

Wow, that sangria looks fantastic. Definitely on my list to try……and Happy Birthday!

75 Kari @ bite-sized thoughts May 14, 2011

I hope you have a great night…and a great day come Monday. And your deck is looking wonderful! I’m really impressed with all your effort.

76 Emily May 14, 2011

Angela- this sangria looks delicious as do all of your recipes!! I have made quite a few of them in the past couple weeks. I made some absolutely incredible muffins tonight (my husband ate 4 in one sitting!) and thought of you and how much you would probably enjoy this recipe. These muffins are definitely worth trying out! Here it is:

Vegan Apple Oat Bran Muffins

(Adapted from Wholesome Vegan Oat Bran Muffins on Madhuram’s Eggless Cooking website)

1 cup oat flour
1/4 cup wheat flour (after mixing all the ingredients, the batter seemed too wet, so I added the wheat flour)
1 cup oat bran
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 apples, grated
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup agave nectar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup soy milk, or any liquid (regular milk, water)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Yields 12 muffins

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Use muffins liners or oil muffin pan. Combine all dry ingredients and make well in center. Combine all wet ingredients in separate bowl and then add to dry. Also add in raisins and pecans. Mix until just combined; do not overmix. I used about 1/4 cup of batter for each muffin. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the tops of the muffins are lightly browned.

77 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 15, 2011

yum!!

78 Vanessa May 14, 2011

From one May Birthday to another (mine is Tuesday!) I hope you have a wonderful weekend of parties!

Don’t you just love having a May Birthday? It is hands down the best month of the year to celebrate life!

79 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 15, 2011

Happy early birthday! Hope the party went well. I had a party this afternoon and made red sangria! Something about the spring demands it. Accompanied by LOTS of Mexican food. :)

80 Leah May 15, 2011

Hope you had a great time last night! Wish I could have been there to celebrate with you :D
Enjoy your time with your family today!

81 Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 15, 2011

I’m not usually a sangria drinker but the presentation on this is gorgeous and it sounds pretty delicious!

82 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner May 15, 2011

I love your deck!!! My parents have always wanted one. :)

83 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 15, 2011

The deck is coming along so well! Will Eric come build me one when he’s done???

84 Crissie May 15, 2011

the Sangria looks great! Now…I’ll be looking for a red one :)
Happy Birthday!

85 Jane Plass May 15, 2011

Happy birthday! Enjoy your celebrations! The sangria looks great; thanks for sharing the recipe.

86 Dolores May 15, 2011

Hope you had a GREAT birthday!!! Love how the sangria looks!!!

87 kate@hautetotsBOS May 15, 2011

YUM! I have never had a white sangria before, but it won’t be long now;)

88 marla {family fresh cooking} May 15, 2011

Yay for birthdays! Sounds like a fun potluck you have planned with friends – just think next year you will all be hanging out on that deck! They will all love this bright and fruity sangria. xo

89 Tori (Fresh Fruition) May 15, 2011

Wow, that deck is going up fast! Looking so good!

I’m underage, so no sangria for me! :(

90 Molly @ RDexposed May 15, 2011

Summer in a pitcher!

91 Catherine May 15, 2011

This sangria looks so light and refreshing. I will definitely try it this summer! Hope you had a fun party. Happy Birthday, Angela!

92 Katy (The Singing Runner) May 15, 2011

Mmmm looks/ sounds delicious! :D

The deck looks good!

93 Kath (My Funny Little Life) May 15, 2011

What a wonderful recipe! It looks so beautiful and refreshing, like the perfect drinkon a warm summer evening! :D

And you got quite the work done! This will be a beautiful place when it’s finished! :D

94 Ellie@fitforthesoul May 15, 2011

wow beautiful pictures! the drink looks so refreshing. And the deck is obviously lookin’ amazing~Eric’s talented Angela!

95 Ali May 15, 2011

What a fantastic looking deck and a fresh and fruity sangria!
Happy Birthday!

96 Alexandra Aimee May 15, 2011

Happy Birthday Angela!

97 Aggie May 16, 2011

Love white sangria!! Looks perfect! Happy birthday and happy decking…it’s going to be beautiful!

98 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble May 16, 2011

White sangria looks great! Yum!

99 Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls May 18, 2011

Oooo that sangria looks SOOOO delicious!!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

100 ShopDropNRoll May 21, 2011

Happy Birthday Angela! The Sunny White Sangria recipe looks to-die-for….my birthday is coming up in just a few weeks as well and I’m thinking that will be making an appearance during the festivities… yum! Can’t wait to try it out!

101 Renee May 21, 2011

Your sangria looks delite – ful! I’ve also got a bottle of elderflower liquer/liquor that i think might go nicely as a serving splash.

102 Stephanie May 25, 2011

How much sangria does it make? Do you think it will fit in my 66 oz pitcher or should i just halve the recipe?

103 Stephanie May 25, 2011

I’m not adding the club soda or the full 3 cups of oj either. I just bough a bottle of oj to use so thats…15 oz.