A Mexican Fiesta

IMG_4455

Last night, Ange and Karly came over for dinner and we enjoyed a Mexican themed dinner party! I was looking for a dinner that could be prepared ahead of time and was laid back & fuss-free…Mexican food fit the bill. This week has been insanely busy with bakery orders, so I needed something that would be delicious, but not take up too much time.

I made a DIY burrito station

IMG_4451-3

I know it looks like a lot of work, but it wasn’t that bad! I cooked the lentils and beans the night before and the speltberry salad was also already made.

The great thing about this dinner is that I prepared everything ahead of time except for the guacamole which I prepared just before serving. The rest was completely finished and wrapped up in the fridge by 9am yesterday! You can’t have a lower stress dinner than that. :)

IMG_4439

Mmm, it’s making me hungry just thinking about it! Good thing there are leftovers for my lunch today. ;)

IMG_4446

IMG_4445

IMG_4451-2

IMG_4453

IMG_4442

IMG_4457

We had a grand ‘ol time and the burrito station was a big hit! The burrito fillings were also great to make a big salad with. I think I will be doing that for lunch today. :)

IMG_0187

For dessert, I made vegan chocolate cupcakes with almond ‘buttercream’ and toasted coconut. They were awesome! I loved the toasted coconut on top…it really took the cupcake to a new level.

IMG_4492

The girls each brought me some gorgeous flowers!!! I got spoiled. :) Aren’t they gorgeous?

IMG_4500

I was told that I have to keep them alive until at least my birthday weekend May 14th. ;)

IMG_4502

After Ange and Karly left, Eric and I watched American Idol that we taped (Go Haley!!) and I did some Vegetable Gardening reading while Eric did deck planning…

IMG_0199

My mom gave me this book a couple years ago…how did she know that I would one day build my own vegetable garden? :) Moms are the best!

I am extremely amazed by all the gardening info that I am coming across! There is soooo much to learn and read up on. While it feels a bit overwhelming, I am extremely excited to start a garden. I could really see this becoming a huge hobby and passion of mine.

I loved this quote from Shannon the other day, “Gardening is a learning experience. Trial and error. Even the most experiences gardeners have failures and successes.” and like Karly said last night, it is better to try than to never try at all!

Many of you have also recommended the Square Foot Gardening book, so I might check that out this weekend.

Have a great Friday!

Page 3 of 3«123
annette June 25, 2014

I made this recipe and loved it. Because you shared these amazing recipes…I eat better!! Thank you!!

Aimee January 17, 2014

This is an old post, but one of my households favorites! If it were up to my husband we’d have these tacos every other night, which isn’t a bad idea haha. The first time I made them though they seemed dry to us.. maybe I did something wrong? Now when I make them I sauté a red bell pepper and an onion together until tender, then add the “meat” mixture and finally I pour a little salsa over top and mix until heated. They are better than any tacos I’ve eaten before and so simple to make.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 17, 2011

Some of my favorite cupcakes to make are dark chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut. Coconut and dark chocolate were truly meant for each other!

I’ve GOT to try that almond buttercream! Just as soon as I finish up the giant tub of cream cheese frosting in my freezer!

Lauri (RedHeadrecipes.com) April 17, 2011

LOVE Mexican! I seriously think that I could eat it nightly…

'Dee April 16, 2011

You HAVE to check out “Square Foot Gardening”!! The soil solution alone is worth it. My herb garden has never been more thriving or robust. All organic!

Sarah Dean April 16, 2011

My husband and I are in hawaii on our honeymoon right now and had the most phenomenal burrito at this mexican place here, I was NOT looking forward to having to leave this mexican burrito behind when we went home…now I don’t have to…this recipe looks phenomenal! Thanks Angela!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 16, 2011

The Mexican meal looks delicious! Definitely one of my favorite cuisines :)

Hannah April 16, 2011

Phwoar, what a generous spread! Mexican is almost impossible to find here in Australia, so I really should replicate this soon to sate my craving :P

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 15, 2011

Mexican is my go-to for dinner parties – great to prep ahead and who DOESN’T love Mexican?!

That taco “meat looks fantastic. Def bookmarking. :)

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 15, 2011

mmmm I love that you include hummus in your tacos–soo necessary! :)

Kat April 15, 2011

Vegan mexican night is the best idea ever! I love burriotos and tacos and these look so good

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 15, 2011

Le Swoooooon. I would DIE for some guac right now! I miss mexican flavor so so much, I can’t wait to try your lentil walnut taco “meat”!

Beth @ naturallyyoursbeth April 15, 2011

Those flowers are so pretty!!! I’m going to try that lentil “taco meat” for dinner next week!! I see a ginormous burrito/taco creation in my future :) Thanks for the great idea!!

Alaina April 15, 2011

My husband and I watched the square foot gardening on VHS. Yep, it’s that old. :-P It seems like a great idea! We’ll probably do that when we get a house.

Megan April 15, 2011

WOW this looks like a great way I could get my family to eat a vegan dinner with me for a night :D

Doc (The Healthy PhD) April 15, 2011

Mexican night is always a favorite in my house too! I made the fiance make me taco salad for dinner last night, and I love the leftovers. Yummmmmmmm. Hope you had a good lunch!