A Mexican Fiesta

IMG_4455

Last night, Ange and Karly came over for dinner and we enjoyed a Mexican themed dinner party! I was looking for a dinner that could be prepared ahead of time and was laid back & fuss-free…Mexican food fit the bill. This week has been insanely busy with bakery orders, so I needed something that would be delicious, but not take up too much time.

I made a DIY burrito station

IMG_4451-3

I know it looks like a lot of work, but it wasn’t that bad! I cooked the lentils and beans the night before and the speltberry salad was also already made.

The great thing about this dinner is that I prepared everything ahead of time except for the guacamole which I prepared just before serving. The rest was completely finished and wrapped up in the fridge by 9am yesterday! You can’t have a lower stress dinner than that. :)

IMG_4439

Mmm, it’s making me hungry just thinking about it! Good thing there are leftovers for my lunch today. ;)

IMG_4446

IMG_4445

IMG_4451-2

IMG_4453

IMG_4442

IMG_4457

We had a grand ‘ol time and the burrito station was a big hit! The burrito fillings were also great to make a big salad with. I think I will be doing that for lunch today. :)

IMG_0187

For dessert, I made vegan chocolate cupcakes with almond ‘buttercream’ and toasted coconut. They were awesome! I loved the toasted coconut on top…it really took the cupcake to a new level.

IMG_4492

The girls each brought me some gorgeous flowers!!! I got spoiled. :) Aren’t they gorgeous?

IMG_4500

I was told that I have to keep them alive until at least my birthday weekend May 14th. ;)

IMG_4502

After Ange and Karly left, Eric and I watched American Idol that we taped (Go Haley!!) and I did some Vegetable Gardening reading while Eric did deck planning…

IMG_0199

My mom gave me this book a couple years ago…how did she know that I would one day build my own vegetable garden? :) Moms are the best!

I am extremely amazed by all the gardening info that I am coming across! There is soooo much to learn and read up on. While it feels a bit overwhelming, I am extremely excited to start a garden. I could really see this becoming a huge hobby and passion of mine.

I loved this quote from Shannon the other day, “Gardening is a learning experience. Trial and error. Even the most experiences gardeners have failures and successes.” and like Karly said last night, it is better to try than to never try at all!

Many of you have also recommended the Square Foot Gardening book, so I might check that out this weekend.

Have a great Friday!

1 Kate (Bread & Chocolate) April 15, 2011

I love a fun fiesta – especially with fresh pico de gallo. I know everyone says this, but guacamole is my specialty. And now it can be yours!

2 Helene April 15, 2011

I love to eat Mexican, what a great idea to prepare a lentil-walnut taco meat. I should try it. Talking about AI they have talent this year.

3 Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 15, 2011

I want to come to this dinner party!

4 Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 15, 2011

this post has my name ALLL OVER IT!!

5 Ashley April 15, 2011

I love dinners like that! Good luck at gardening…I need to start reading up too! My mom also got me an organic gardening book. :)

6 Svetlana April 15, 2011

How long did it take you to prepare all of this ahead of time?? :-o Looks amazing :)

7 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I cooked the lentils, chickpeas etc, the night before so that saved lots of time. In the morning, I think it took me about 1 hour or so…not including the photography. The spelt berry salad was also already made.

8 Svetlana April 15, 2011

Wow, that’s impressive :) It’s smart to cook the night before…

9 M April 15, 2011

Did you serve the beans and lentils heated?

Thanks :)

10 Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 15, 2011

Burrito buffet! What a great idea! I love homemade Mexican dinners. Salsa, and tortilla chips, and guacamole, oh my! Great way to get ready for warmer weather!

11 Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 15, 2011

The flowers that your girls brought you are B-E-A-utiful. Lucky gal! I love mexican food! So many good tastes come through in a Mexican dish!

Happy Friday :)

12 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 15, 2011

Thank you again so much for dinner Ange!! It was delicious and I will gladly bring you more flowers for your garden if you keep making food like that!!! My cupcake is in my lunch today! :)

13 Noelle April 15, 2011

ALl looks so yummy! I have made Italian the last 2 nights. Maybe tonight is Mexican food night, hmmmmm. :D

14 Holly @ The Runny Egg April 15, 2011

I love burrito night — we do that at least once per week! Not as many options as you have though :)

I’m excited to see how your garden progresses!

15 Elizabeth @ the good life April 15, 2011

I might just have to pick up that gardening book too. I need all the help I can get!

16 Krystina (Organically Me) April 15, 2011

Now I’m craving a burrito!

17 Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen April 15, 2011

Yum! I am trying hard to incorporate more vegan treats with a ton of push back from the boyfriend! Maybe I can get him to try this taco “meat.” It looks awesome!

Where did you get the cupcake papers?

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I think I got them at Goulda’s Kitchen store :)

19 McKella April 15, 2011

That burrito bar looks amazing! I might have to try that. I’ve never had hummus on a burrito before, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Maybe hummus with a little cumin or chili powder or something…

20 Katie April 15, 2011

Love build your burritos, especially for dinner parties. Everyone gets exactly what they want! I did this on New Years Eve, and I always go the salad route, since I can’t do rice. I actually prefer it to the burrito now.

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I agree!
ohh i forgot the RICE! hehe…I think we still made do. ;)

22 Emily April 15, 2011

You have some lucky friends, that whole spread looks beautiful and delicious! :D

23 Katherine April 15, 2011

How fun! I make Mexican fiestas like this too and my fiance always comments that there are “a lot of vessels” because he is in charge of the dishes :). You’re right though, it looks like a lot more work (to cook, at least) than it actually is.

I was wondering- in your opinion, is Daiya worth buying? Does it taste like real cheese in your opinion? I love cheese, but I have been swaying back and forth about it lately. Daiya is expensive by me, so I want to be sure before I commit.

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

We only buy Daiya once in a blue moon for a special treat. I don’t think it should be a staple in my diet, but it is fun sometimes.

Eric and I LOVE making grilled cheese sandwiches with it. It is a bit difficult with the shredded cheese (does it come in solid form?), but we make it work. Slather bread with earth balance and place on skillet. Eric says he cant tell the difference! It is amazing.

With that being said, once the bag is opened it does not last long and will go bad fairly quickly, so that is a downfall.

25 Gail April 15, 2011

Definitely don’t get Follow Your Heart – yuck! I took one bite and almost gagged. I had to throw it out, and at $4.30, that was a big deal. I don’t know about Daiya.

26 thehealthyapron April 15, 2011

all that food looks so delicious! Wish I could have some for lunch! ha.

I can’t wait to have a yard to start my own garden! In the meantime, I’ll just help my mom!

27 kate@ahealthypassion April 15, 2011

Ahh I did the exact same thing for dinner last night I love mexican create your own fajita dinner sooo yummy… and I would love if you would share any gardening tips you might have I am trying to grow a garden this year in pots and I have no idea what im doing!

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I will share my tips for sure! :)

29 JenATX April 15, 2011

i love anchor glassware, they lids are so helpful for leftovers

30 Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011

Oh my goodness, yes! This looks delicious! :)

31 Jenn April 15, 2011

I love your blog!! Just added it to mine!!! smilewithyourheart.com

So inspiring! Thanks for posting all of your great eats!! :)

32 Kim April 15, 2011

Looks great! Definitely will be doing this sometime soon – that lentil meat sounds great!

33 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 15, 2011

I just loooove tacos! It’s been so long. Those flowers are absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with your gardening planning. It’s so great that you’re doing research. I’m going to try a garden this year, but I think I’ll just wing it. It’ll probably turn out horrible, but hey, I may just surprise myself!

34 Carolynne April 15, 2011

What a feast!! I have to admit that the best thing about Mexican food is assembling everything yourself with whatever toppings you like. :) YUM.

35 Amy April 15, 2011

Looks great. I made your other taco “meat” with walnuts & 3 bean mix. My daughter loved it! I might have to try it with lentils.
You will love gardening!

36 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 15, 2011

I love the idea of lentils and walnuts taco “meat”! I eat meat myself, but I was just thinking the other day of how full and icky I feel after eating Mexican food. I think swapping out the meat and the cheese would make it much more satisfying afterwards :)

37 Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers April 15, 2011

I often do a “make your own taco bar” for large gatherings. This one looks waaaaaay better than mine. I am gonna copy yours, including the cupcakes, for my next gathering. Awesome, as usual!

38 Moni'sMeals April 15, 2011

Wow what a spread. I always turn to build your own taco/burrito night for friends, everyone seems happy that way. but look at the taco “meat”– now that I have to try.

Those cupcakes, wow, I will also have to get at it on those.
tgif!

39 Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 15, 2011

I just love make-your-own burritos! It’s a perfect way to satisfy everyone when you have a large get-together and totally simple to get ready! Great idea and love your choices. :)

40 Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 15, 2011

Mexican is my go to dinner. I’m never left unsatisfied with a good taco. Beans are filling! And can’t forget the fage yogurt. :)

41 Gail April 15, 2011

I just LOVE Mexican food – yum! I’ll definitely have to try out your lentil taco “meat”.

42 Kim (Bowl of Fruit) April 15, 2011

Mexican food is one of my favorite, favorite cuisines. This is such a great set-up! If you throw some grilled summer squash there for me to put into my soft tacos/burritos, you would have probably my Last Meal wish. And I had never thought to make my own taco seasoning, that sounds superb.

43 Amber K April 15, 2011

Ooh our birthdays are coming up! (Mine’s May 12th) I love everything about May, the weather starts to get warmer and I get to celebrate me, tee hee :)

The burrito station looks amazing. I love low-key easy dinners.

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

me too…May is fantastic if I do say so myself ;)

45 Alina @ Duty Free Foodie April 15, 2011

Tacos are one of my favorite go-to quick meals too. I am super impressed that you are taking up gardening. I have this knack for accidentally killing plants even when I follow all the instructions. I think it happened once and then I just had all these negative expectations so it kept happening. Good luck with your garden!

46 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I do too…it will be nothing short of a miracle if I can grow something…hahaa

47 Sarah April 15, 2011

Ok, first off the food looks way good especially the hummus and coconut cupcakes. And second, I totally agree with the gardening thing. It is like learning all things, there are periods of trial and error. I love to garden but because I live in Brooklyn I have to garden out my fire escape in pots. Lets just say I have made a lot of errors but think this year will be great :)
Sarah

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

love that attitude!

49 Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011

Yummy! Looks very similar to what we had for dinner last night, except I made corn tortillas and there weren’t that many options :D

50 Zagara April 15, 2011

Long-time reader, first time commenter. Have been toying with the idea of vegan, or vegan’esque lifestyle. Love how you can make vegan food seem so appealing. Those cupcakes look amazing! Thanks for being so inspiring.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Thank you Zagara!

52 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 15, 2011

Taco/ burrito bars are my most favorite thing to ‘make ahead’ for company. I love that you can just as easily make it for 4 or 8… just a little more chopping.

53 Abby April 15, 2011

This looks so yummy! I love lilies–my birthday is May 14th too! :)

54 Kathryn April 15, 2011

Looks yum! Mexican is always my go to when friends come over. So easy and everybody loves it. I’ll have to try the taco “meat.” I’m allergic to walnuts – I wonder if pecans would work…..

I also recommend looking up lasagna layer gardening or no dig gardening. I bought a book on it and read through, but I haven’t had a chance to actually do it. The whole idea is you build a garden bed with compost materials so you don’t have to dig and till soil. I love how low maitnence it seems.
Last year I grew cucumbers in a 1/2 wine barrell with a trellis in it and it was great. I juiced so many cucumbers. I can’t wait to plant more!

55 Hannah April 15, 2011

Mexican food is surprisingly easy to vegan-ize! And it’s a great genre of cuisine that has protein from beans.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

yes it is…I love it!

57 Sarah April 15, 2011

My husband and I are planning a garden for this year. He has this book:

And he loves it! Apparently, this Markham fellow really knows his stuff.

58 Charlie April 15, 2011

I can’t wait to try the lentil walnut taco meat! I have been looking for a substitute for the soy taco meats at the grocery store, and I think this might just fit the bill!

Thanks!

59 Mama Pea April 15, 2011

The only thing missing from that fiesta is ME! (and maybe some sangria…)

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

You got it!

61 amanda April 15, 2011

i am making this taco bar soon, i have the perfect occassion! Also, my bday is 5/14 too!

62 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

yay taurus! Mine is may 16th :) Close enough!

63 Maria April 15, 2011

looks like a fun fiesta! Thanks for posting the recipes :-)

64 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 15, 2011

I have about 2 servings of lentils left – I know EXACTLY what I’m making!

65 Dalai Lina April 15, 2011

I really appreciate you taco meat idea – it looks really simple. And, gardening is a learning experience – you will learn mother nature is in control!

66 Sarah April 15, 2011

Your dinner party looks fabulous and so much fun! I’m so glad you choose to share these kinds of things with your readers- I can think of several people who would love to come to a dinner like that.

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Thanks Sarah :)

68 stephie April 15, 2011

Go Hayley?? GO PAUL!!! (AND CASEY!!)

69 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Yes! Haley is my Fav and has been in my top 3 since I first heard her sing :)
Casey is as well.
I loved Paul at the beginning, but I found he went downhill and he was repetitive. I miss PIA!! She was my fav.

70 Amanda M. April 15, 2011

Mexican sounds delicious for dinner tonight. Also may I recommend another book, “The Backyard Homestead”. It has been a great resource, with overviews on almost anything you can think of.

71 Jillian April 15, 2011

Where do you get your cute little multi-colored spoons? I really want some!

72 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

tks! most of them are from crate and barrel :)

73 Tara April 15, 2011

I’m staring to plant my first garden this spring. We don’t have a backyard right now so it’s actually a deck garden… in pots. we’ll see how it goes! It’s better than nothing, but I am super excited to have a huge backyard in the near future. I live in California so I should be able to grow things almost year round. Can’t wait to see what you post about it so I can learn a little (or a lot!) from you :)

74 Baking 'n' Books April 15, 2011

Yum! You are so put-together! I don’t know where you get your energy.

I think I asked before – but do you run your bakery out of your house or do you have a location that people can go to? Do you mostly just take online orders – people in your community? Always interested in how the process works!

75 Beth April 15, 2011

That Mexican Fiesta spread looks great. Any leftovers to share? :)

Re: Square Foot Gardening, a lot of the information from the book is on their site. Along with some updates. I bought the updated edition of the book about a year ago. A great way to garden as large or as small as you want.

Tortilla wraps – my husband finally found those Food for Life GF wraps. Didn’t realise they were in the freezer section. Very happy to know where to find them. Now we just to have try the ones he bought. Perhaps a Mexican fiesta is in order :)

76 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

thanks for the tip…will look into their website more :)

77 Nichole (Flirting with Food, Fitness & Fashion) April 15, 2011

Dinner looks amazing! I am hungry now!! haha
I am also looking to start my own organic garden and feel overwhelmed – I need a book!!

78 Angel7 April 15, 2011

Mexican is a fave at our house! My husband loves it!

The cupcakes look divine!

And the flowers are gorgeous! Just give them a little extra tender loving care, and they might last until May :)

79 Angel7 April 15, 2011

Mexican is a fave at our house! My husband loves it!

The cupcakes look divine!

That Cookie Dough Oatmeal sounds so good! I am one who will eat the cookie dough batter, and I am usually not hungry for the cookies until the next day :)

I am not one to go to the store or mall just to window shop, because if I want something, then I will inevitably go back to buy what I liked.

80 rachel April 15, 2011

all that food looks amazing! you are a star in the kitchen.
i love gardening. last year was our first year of veggie gardening, we got a ton of tomatoes! seriously so many i literally didn’t know what to do with them all! but it’s really fun and so rewarding to know that you grew it all yourself.

81 Ellie@fitforthesoul April 15, 2011

Errr can I have some cupcakes pleaseee???! I love seeing pictures of you since you’re the genius behind this blog! I love seeing people’s photos–it makes it so much warmer and more personal :D hope you have a beautiful day~

82 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 15, 2011

I love the idea of lentil and walnuts in place of taco meat! Yum!!

83 Char April 15, 2011

Love all the different things you can put in your tortilla…very appealing. Is there anything really spicy here? I love heat!

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

You can make the taco meat and black beans as spicy as you want them according to how much taco seasoning you add in. :)

85 Namaste Gurl April 15, 2011

I’m coming to your next mexican feast– that looks like a veggies dream! Every dish I love and WANT :)

86 Alexa @ Simple Eats April 15, 2011

Mexican buffets are amazing! I would have never though of using a lentil mixture as the filling…what an awesome idea!

87 Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good April 15, 2011

I love Mexican food!

Nice when you can have most things made ahead of time for a dinner party. You can enjoy your company without stressing.

88 Dana April 15, 2011

I highly recommend From Seed to Table by Janet Haase (she is from Ontario!). The book is fantastic for learning about gardening! She used to produce for places like the National Arts Orchestra, Chateau Laurier..she wrote this book so down-to earth and easy to understand, with lots of pictures and seasonal recipes included. I had the chance to meet her at a conference and was so glad I picked this up!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

thanks I will check it out!

90 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 15, 2011

Your Lentil-Walnut Taco Meat looks awesome! I just relinked my recipe for lentil & bean “sloppy joes” today. I love lentils + beans to make really hearty and stand on their own fillings. These tacos look amazing, Angela.

Wait tho…the buttercream frosting. I remember those. And now, I want buttercream frosting, big time!

Gardening is like photography I think…you have no idea how much info is out there til you start reading, you will never learn it all, everyone has a different take on it, and no two cameras/shots/gardens/dirt/goals are the same!

The Square Foot Gardening book is great and helpful, too!

91 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

yes gardening is a lot like photography!!!

92 Rachel @ The Perseverance Diaries April 15, 2011

All of that food looks so delicious! I just had some vegan mexican for lunch. Daiya cheese makes me so happy.

And those cupcakes? Don’t even get me started, I’m having a major sweets craving right now :)

93 The Teenage Taste April 15, 2011

I love Mexican food! Favorite cuisine everrrrr! <3

94 Kristy H April 15, 2011

Mexican food is awesome. Thanks for the link for the taco seasoning recipe, i normally buy it premade but with those added nasties, i think i will have a go making my own.

95 Andrea @ Vegvacious April 15, 2011

Mmmmm….I love Mexican night!! I am so glad that there are some many vegetarian/vegan options!! Thanks for all the fab recipes.

96 Jen @ keepitsimplefoods April 15, 2011

Wow! What a feast! Love the taco “meat.”

97 kaila @ healthy helper! April 15, 2011

I love veggie tacos! Better than meat filled ones any day! I made a batch of your vegan meat this week for lunches…..so its really funny that you posted this recipe! Now I have another way to use it! Good thing I have all the taco fixin’s i need on hand! Thanks for this idea :)

98 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

great minds think alike! heh

99 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 15, 2011

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Mexican, but you’re making me reconsider. You make it look so fresh and delicious!

100 Mel S April 15, 2011

Your gorgeous photos inspired me to make a burrito bowl bar for dinner tonight! I love your recipes, and am constantly bookmarking them :)

101 Ally April 15, 2011

Having a garden is so much fun! I have been growing veggies for the last three summers and before we bought our house, I had zero experience! Each year my garden gets a little better and I learn more. My recommendations are to stay small, grow just a few things at first, and make sure you pick veggies (and specific varieties of that veggie) that do well in your zone!

Good luck! :)

102 sonia April 15, 2011

Hi Angella,

The wraps are looking awesome, loved the different types of stuffing you added to enhance its nutrion quotient. A perfect vibrant wrap…. !!!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2011

thanks! :)

104 Laura @ Starloz April 15, 2011

oh what a great idea, i havent had mexican in ages!

105 Doc (The Healthy PhD) April 15, 2011

Mexican night is always a favorite in my house too! I made the fiance make me taco salad for dinner last night, and I love the leftovers. Yummmmmmmm. Hope you had a good lunch!

106 Megan April 15, 2011

WOW this looks like a great way I could get my family to eat a vegan dinner with me for a night :D

107 Alaina April 15, 2011

My husband and I watched the square foot gardening on VHS. Yep, it’s that old. :-P It seems like a great idea! We’ll probably do that when we get a house.

108 Beth @ naturallyyoursbeth April 15, 2011

Those flowers are so pretty!!! I’m going to try that lentil “taco meat” for dinner next week!! I see a ginormous burrito/taco creation in my future :) Thanks for the great idea!!

109 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn April 15, 2011

Le Swoooooon. I would DIE for some guac right now! I miss mexican flavor so so much, I can’t wait to try your lentil walnut taco “meat”!

110 Kat April 15, 2011

Vegan mexican night is the best idea ever! I love burriotos and tacos and these look so good

111 Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 15, 2011

mmmm I love that you include hummus in your tacos–soo necessary! :)

112 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 15, 2011

Mexican is my go-to for dinner parties – great to prep ahead and who DOESN’T love Mexican?!

That taco “meat looks fantastic. Def bookmarking. :)

113 Hannah April 16, 2011

Phwoar, what a generous spread! Mexican is almost impossible to find here in Australia, so I really should replicate this soon to sate my craving :P

114 Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 16, 2011

The Mexican meal looks delicious! Definitely one of my favorite cuisines :)

115 Sarah Dean April 16, 2011

My husband and I are in hawaii on our honeymoon right now and had the most phenomenal burrito at this mexican place here, I was NOT looking forward to having to leave this mexican burrito behind when we went home…now I don’t have to…this recipe looks phenomenal! Thanks Angela!

116 'Dee April 16, 2011

You HAVE to check out “Square Foot Gardening”!! The soil solution alone is worth it. My herb garden has never been more thriving or robust. All organic!

117 Lauri (RedHeadrecipes.com) April 17, 2011

LOVE Mexican! I seriously think that I could eat it nightly…

118 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf April 17, 2011

Some of my favorite cupcakes to make are dark chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut. Coconut and dark chocolate were truly meant for each other!

I’ve GOT to try that almond buttercream! Just as soon as I finish up the giant tub of cream cheese frosting in my freezer!

119 Aimee January 17, 2014

This is an old post, but one of my households favorites! If it were up to my husband we’d have these tacos every other night, which isn’t a bad idea haha. The first time I made them though they seemed dry to us.. maybe I did something wrong? Now when I make them I sauté a red bell pepper and an onion together until tender, then add the “meat” mixture and finally I pour a little salsa over top and mix until heated. They are better than any tacos I’ve eaten before and so simple to make.

120 annette June 25, 2014

I made this recipe and loved it. Because you shared these amazing recipes…I eat better!! Thank you!!