A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4455   A Mexican Fiesta

Last night, Ange and Karly came over for dinner and we enjoyed a Mexican themed dinner party! I was looking for a dinner that could be prepared ahead of time and was laid back & fuss-free…Mexican food fit the bill. This week has been insanely busy with bakery orders, so I needed something that would be delicious, but not take up too much time.

I made a DIY burrito station

IMG 4451 3   A Mexican Fiesta

I know it looks like a lot of work, but it wasn’t that bad! I cooked the lentils and beans the night before and the speltberry salad was also already made.

The great thing about this dinner is that I prepared everything ahead of time except for the guacamole which I prepared just before serving. The rest was completely finished and wrapped up in the fridge by 9am yesterday! You can’t have a lower stress dinner than that. :)

IMG 4439   A Mexican Fiesta

Mmm, it’s making me hungry just thinking about it! Good thing there are leftovers for my lunch today. ;)

IMG 4446   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4445   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4451 2   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4453   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4442   A Mexican Fiesta

IMG 4457   A Mexican Fiesta

We had a grand ‘ol time and the burrito station was a big hit! The burrito fillings were also great to make a big salad with. I think I will be doing that for lunch today. :)

IMG 0187   A Mexican Fiesta

For dessert, I made vegan chocolate cupcakes with almond ‘buttercream’ and toasted coconut. They were awesome! I loved the toasted coconut on top…it really took the cupcake to a new level.

IMG 4492   A Mexican Fiesta

The girls each brought me some gorgeous flowers!!! I got spoiled. :) Aren’t they gorgeous?

IMG 4500   A Mexican Fiesta

I was told that I have to keep them alive until at least my birthday weekend May 14th. ;)

IMG 4502   A Mexican Fiesta

After Ange and Karly left, Eric and I watched American Idol that we taped (Go Haley!!) and I did some Vegetable Gardening reading while Eric did deck planning…

IMG 0199   A Mexican Fiesta

My mom gave me this book a couple years ago…how did she know that I would one day build my own vegetable garden? :) Moms are the best!

I am extremely amazed by all the gardening info that I am coming across! There is soooo much to learn and read up on. While it feels a bit overwhelming, I am extremely excited to start a garden. I could really see this becoming a huge hobby and passion of mine.

I loved this quote from Shannon the other day, “Gardening is a learning experience. Trial and error. Even the most experiences gardeners have failures and successes.” and like Karly said last night, it is better to try than to never try at all!

Many of you have also recommended the Square Foot Gardening book, so I might check that out this weekend.

Have a great Friday!

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) April 15, 2011

I love a fun fiesta – especially with fresh pico de gallo. I know everyone says this, but guacamole is my specialty. And now it can be yours!

Helene April 15, 2011

I love to eat Mexican, what a great idea to prepare a lentil-walnut taco meat. I should try it. Talking about AI they have talent this year.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 15, 2011

I want to come to this dinner party!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 15, 2011

this post has my name ALLL OVER IT!!

Ashley April 15, 2011

I love dinners like that! Good luck at gardening…I need to start reading up too! My mom also got me an organic gardening book. :)

Svetlana April 15, 2011

How long did it take you to prepare all of this ahead of time?? :-o Looks amazing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I cooked the lentils, chickpeas etc, the night before so that saved lots of time. In the morning, I think it took me about 1 hour or so…not including the photography. The spelt berry salad was also already made.

Svetlana April 15, 2011

Wow, that’s impressive :) It’s smart to cook the night before…

M April 15, 2011

Did you serve the beans and lentils heated?

Thanks :)

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit April 15, 2011

Burrito buffet! What a great idea! I love homemade Mexican dinners. Salsa, and tortilla chips, and guacamole, oh my! Great way to get ready for warmer weather!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas April 15, 2011

The flowers that your girls brought you are B-E-A-utiful. Lucky gal! I love mexican food! So many good tastes come through in a Mexican dish!

Happy Friday :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 15, 2011

Thank you again so much for dinner Ange!! It was delicious and I will gladly bring you more flowers for your garden if you keep making food like that!!! My cupcake is in my lunch today! :)

Noelle April 15, 2011

ALl looks so yummy! I have made Italian the last 2 nights. Maybe tonight is Mexican food night, hmmmmm. :D

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 15, 2011

I love burrito night — we do that at least once per week! Not as many options as you have though :)

I’m excited to see how your garden progresses!

Elizabeth @ the good life April 15, 2011

I might just have to pick up that gardening book too. I need all the help I can get!

Krystina (Organically Me) April 15, 2011

Now I’m craving a burrito!

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen April 15, 2011

Yum! I am trying hard to incorporate more vegan treats with a ton of push back from the boyfriend! Maybe I can get him to try this taco “meat.” It looks awesome!

Where did you get the cupcake papers?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I think I got them at Goulda’s Kitchen store :)

McKella April 15, 2011

That burrito bar looks amazing! I might have to try that. I’ve never had hummus on a burrito before, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea. Maybe hummus with a little cumin or chili powder or something…

Katie April 15, 2011

Love build your burritos, especially for dinner parties. Everyone gets exactly what they want! I did this on New Years Eve, and I always go the salad route, since I can’t do rice. I actually prefer it to the burrito now.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I agree!
ohh i forgot the RICE! hehe…I think we still made do. ;)

Emily April 15, 2011

You have some lucky friends, that whole spread looks beautiful and delicious! :D

Katherine April 15, 2011

How fun! I make Mexican fiestas like this too and my fiance always comments that there are “a lot of vessels” because he is in charge of the dishes :). You’re right though, it looks like a lot more work (to cook, at least) than it actually is.

I was wondering- in your opinion, is Daiya worth buying? Does it taste like real cheese in your opinion? I love cheese, but I have been swaying back and forth about it lately. Daiya is expensive by me, so I want to be sure before I commit.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

We only buy Daiya once in a blue moon for a special treat. I don’t think it should be a staple in my diet, but it is fun sometimes.

Eric and I LOVE making grilled cheese sandwiches with it. It is a bit difficult with the shredded cheese (does it come in solid form?), but we make it work. Slather bread with earth balance and place on skillet. Eric says he cant tell the difference! It is amazing.

With that being said, once the bag is opened it does not last long and will go bad fairly quickly, so that is a downfall.

Gail April 15, 2011

Definitely don’t get Follow Your Heart – yuck! I took one bite and almost gagged. I had to throw it out, and at $4.30, that was a big deal. I don’t know about Daiya.

thehealthyapron April 15, 2011

all that food looks so delicious! Wish I could have some for lunch! ha.

I can’t wait to have a yard to start my own garden! In the meantime, I’ll just help my mom!

kate@ahealthypassion April 15, 2011

Ahh I did the exact same thing for dinner last night I love mexican create your own fajita dinner sooo yummy… and I would love if you would share any gardening tips you might have I am trying to grow a garden this year in pots and I have no idea what im doing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I will share my tips for sure! :)

JenATX April 15, 2011

i love anchor glassware, they lids are so helpful for leftovers

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing April 15, 2011

Oh my goodness, yes! This looks delicious! :)

Jenn April 15, 2011

I love your blog!! Just added it to mine!!! smilewithyourheart.com

So inspiring! Thanks for posting all of your great eats!! :)

Kim April 15, 2011

Looks great! Definitely will be doing this sometime soon – that lentil meat sounds great!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 15, 2011

I just loooove tacos! It’s been so long. Those flowers are absolutely gorgeous. Good luck with your gardening planning. It’s so great that you’re doing research. I’m going to try a garden this year, but I think I’ll just wing it. It’ll probably turn out horrible, but hey, I may just surprise myself!

Carolynne April 15, 2011

What a feast!! I have to admit that the best thing about Mexican food is assembling everything yourself with whatever toppings you like. :) YUM.

Amy April 15, 2011

Looks great. I made your other taco “meat” with walnuts & 3 bean mix. My daughter loved it! I might have to try it with lentils.
You will love gardening!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 15, 2011

I love the idea of lentils and walnuts taco “meat”! I eat meat myself, but I was just thinking the other day of how full and icky I feel after eating Mexican food. I think swapping out the meat and the cheese would make it much more satisfying afterwards :)

Elizabeth @ RunWithSneakers April 15, 2011

I often do a “make your own taco bar” for large gatherings. This one looks waaaaaay better than mine. I am gonna copy yours, including the cupcakes, for my next gathering. Awesome, as usual!

Moni'sMeals April 15, 2011

Wow what a spread. I always turn to build your own taco/burrito night for friends, everyone seems happy that way. but look at the taco “meat”– now that I have to try.

Those cupcakes, wow, I will also have to get at it on those.
tgif!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 15, 2011

I just love make-your-own burritos! It’s a perfect way to satisfy everyone when you have a large get-together and totally simple to get ready! Great idea and love your choices. :)

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL April 15, 2011

Mexican is my go to dinner. I’m never left unsatisfied with a good taco. Beans are filling! And can’t forget the fage yogurt. :)

Gail April 15, 2011

I just LOVE Mexican food – yum! I’ll definitely have to try out your lentil taco “meat”.

Kim (Bowl of Fruit) April 15, 2011

Mexican food is one of my favorite, favorite cuisines. This is such a great set-up! If you throw some grilled summer squash there for me to put into my soft tacos/burritos, you would have probably my Last Meal wish. And I had never thought to make my own taco seasoning, that sounds superb.

Amber K April 15, 2011

Ooh our birthdays are coming up! (Mine’s May 12th) I love everything about May, the weather starts to get warmer and I get to celebrate me, tee hee :)

The burrito station looks amazing. I love low-key easy dinners.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

me too…May is fantastic if I do say so myself ;)

Alina @ Duty Free Foodie April 15, 2011

Tacos are one of my favorite go-to quick meals too. I am super impressed that you are taking up gardening. I have this knack for accidentally killing plants even when I follow all the instructions. I think it happened once and then I just had all these negative expectations so it kept happening. Good luck with your garden!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

I do too…it will be nothing short of a miracle if I can grow something…hahaa

Sarah April 15, 2011

Ok, first off the food looks way good especially the hummus and coconut cupcakes. And second, I totally agree with the gardening thing. It is like learning all things, there are periods of trial and error. I love to garden but because I live in Brooklyn I have to garden out my fire escape in pots. Lets just say I have made a lot of errors but think this year will be great :)
Sarah

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

love that attitude!

Heidi @ Food Doodles April 15, 2011

Yummy! Looks very similar to what we had for dinner last night, except I made corn tortillas and there weren’t that many options :D

Zagara April 15, 2011

Long-time reader, first time commenter. Have been toying with the idea of vegan, or vegan’esque lifestyle. Love how you can make vegan food seem so appealing. Those cupcakes look amazing! Thanks for being so inspiring.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 15, 2011

Thank you Zagara!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 15, 2011

Taco/ burrito bars are my most favorite thing to ‘make ahead’ for company. I love that you can just as easily make it for 4 or 8… just a little more chopping.

Page 1 of 3123»