Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG 37801   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Happy April Fools!

Did you play any practical jokes on anyone yet? Please do tell. :)

I must say I did something pretty cruel to Eric!

I’m not the practical joke kind of person, but this year I was feeling extra devious. I whipped up a couple of super salty cookies last night (I literally dumped the salt in and made sure they were gag worthy!), and over-baked the cookies in the microwave (so they were tough as bricks). And then I left the cookies by the car keys, but I didn’t say anything to him about the cookies so he wouldn’t get suspicious. I also left him an oat square when guilt started to set in (I’m a softy!).

He spotted them this morning and took both the cookies and the oat square to work, naturally. Oh man, he is going to gag when he tastes the cookies! I tried a tiny bit of the dough last night and it was so so so salty. I’m so evil.

At least he has a delicious oat square to wash it down?

Before I turned into an evil wife at the strike of midnight, I was a good wife helping Eric measure in our backyard…

IMG 9986   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

What were we measuring for?

We are putting in a SWIMMING POOL this spring!

This is the model that we selected below after months of debate and number crunching. It is going to be quite exotic looking when it is all said and done and I think it will go really well with the green backdrop of the forest. It has a spa-feel that we just love.

Sample Waterscape   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[Source]

We are trying to decide what kind of rock display we want for the waterfall and if we want a big slide too.

NewCastleSidePool   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

What do you think? Is this rock display too much?

6inFront   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[Source]

Ok, ok we aren’t really putting in a pool, but did I fool you? :)

If we do put a pool in our backyard, I think it will have to be this kind…!!!

Riley20in20the20kiddie20pool207 1420002   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

[source]

Bahahaa. Could that dog look any less amused?

IMG 9996   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

We were actually measuring for two things.

IMG 9994   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

1) We are rebuilding our deck this Spring. This is our next big reno project. We’re very excited about replacing the deck because some of the boards have rotted so much you could actually fall through them! If you don’t see me for a few days, you know where I am…stuck in the deck!

IMG 9997   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

We are hoping that the base will be in good enough condition so we can keep it intact. Eric has to wait for the ground to thaw a bit more before he can take a good look. Hopefully there is no rotting on the base and we can simply rebuild the top layer! That will save a ton of time and money. We are hoping to have it ready for my birthday on May 16th. We’re planning a big outdoor event with friends, so we have a tight deadline to work with.

IMG 9999   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

The second thing we were measuring for is a surprise, but I can tell you it doesn’t involve water!

IMG 99861   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

After measuring and a walk around the neighbourhood, we had a lovely dinner.

IMG 37862   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This was my first time ever making Tabbouleh. I couldn’t get over how easy it was to make and how delicious it turned out! I also never knew I liked Parsley so much. I thought using Buckwheat in this recipe was a fun idea, but you could really use any kind of grain that you prefer in this dish.

The recipe called for sun-dried tomatoes and I actually had some that I had been meaning to use for a while now. Unfortunately when I read the package I realized the kind I bought has sulphites in them. Sulphites give me really bad headaches, so I opted not to include them in this dish and used fresh tomatoes instead.

IMG 3761   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This recipe is FOOL proof- cook the buckwheat (or grain), chop veggies, pour on the dressing ingredients, and mix!

IMG 3768   Buckwheat Tabbouleh IMG 3773   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

IMG 37861   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

This was AMAZING! What a perfect dish for Spring. :)

IMG 3807   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Granted, I used a bit too much Parsley, but it’s all good. I used about 4 cups, but I recommend using 2.5-3 cups. I also used Curly Parsley, but I don’t think I chopped it finely enough because it was scratchy on our throats. Next time I will use less and chop it much more! A reader also said that you can add the dressing to the Parsley to let it soak in to help soften it up.

Have you tried these Food for Life Gluten-Free Brown Rice Tortillas? I spotted them at the grocery store and had to try them out because the tortillas looked so thin and pliable (two traits I love in tortillas!), and wow I just love them. They are much less hearty than the Ezekiel kind, but I love that they are a bit thinner. Keep them stored in the freezer or they do tend to dry out quickly.

IMG 3809   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Search your little heart out

Untitled   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Good news- I have a NEW Search bar installed on the right side bar of the blog.

If you have tried searching the blog before you probably were frustrated that it didn’t work well. This new  one is amazing and I hope that you will be able to find things much quicker! Go check it out and give it a try and let me know if it is working for you. :)

Happy April wlEmoticon sun   Buckwheat Tabbouleh

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 1, 2011

The buckwheat dish looks so good!

And you totally had me fooled about the pool — I just kept thinking “are they nuts?” Ok, so you’re redo-ing the deck and maybe putting in a greenhouse? That is my guess!

Kristy H April 1, 2011

yumm, looks amazing and i cant wait to make some. good luck with the renos!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 1, 2011

I totally believed you were building a pool! The one you showed looks so nice too :)

Baking 'n' Books April 1, 2011

Wait…I did/do believe it…so it’s not true?! …urgh you bloggers…I also believed Caitlin from HTP won the Jackpot.

I was slightly – just a teensy bit – jealous and almost fainted. Totally normal.

;)

I’m not a fan of the Ezekiel tortillas – hard as a rock! I’ve tried Corn Tortillas before but not much better either. Can you “produce” some by recipe Angela? :)

Eliza April 1, 2011

I LOVE taboulleh. In fact, I love it so much that I was eating it every day last summer and I actually developed an allergy to parsley! Now my lips swell up if I have it. Isn’t that nuts?! Word to the wise, there IS such a thing as too much of a good taboulleh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

wow that is crazy!! Ive never heard of a parsley allergy before.

Therese April 1, 2011

You almost had me fooled! But I didn’t figure you were an elaborate rock-formation type of gal! LOL Would be nice though, eh?

Love the tabbouleh! I’ll have to give a shot! Anything with sun-dried tomatoes is fine by me!!!

Happy April!!!

Michelle April 1, 2011

I love Tabbouleh- and always add way too much parsley to mine as well (which I love, my boyfriend, not so much). I am not sure subbing italian parsley is a good idea- it has a different flavor, and is much stronger. I wouldn’t like it as much. What I do to lessen the “scratchy-ness” of curly parsley is to chop is super fine, and coat it in the olive oil/lemon juice mixture before mixing in the other ingredients- doesn’t completely get rid of it, but it makes a difference if it wilts a bit.

Hilarious on the pool joke- you had me. I can never think of good April fool’s jokes in time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

Hmm that is a great tip, I will add it into the recipe. Thanks!

Ulrika April 2, 2011

…put the parsley in a pan and drizzle olive oil over it, put it on the stove and let it get warm- not hot, only warm, it takes away the scratchy and brings out the flavor!

Jackie @ Baking Charms April 1, 2011

I love those brown rice tortillas and buy them all the time! They are a bit chewy but are my favorite alternative so far :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

yea they are def. chewy…it grew on me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 1, 2011

Hehe, excellent prank!! I love the photo of the pool and think it would be AMAZING if you actually put one in.. complete with the slide AND the waterfall! Although who are we kidding… does it REALLY feel like swimming weather right now!? We can dream, right? The tabbouleh looks great! I hope you have a wonderful day Ange!

Sarah April 1, 2011

I was excited for you about the pool, until you started talking about rock formations…good one :-/
I love tabbouleh-it’s so easy to make. I always make mine with barley and I add chickpeas. Num!
And the new search bars works great! When I searched brownies on Tuesday night, looking for a recipe, it just came up with a recipe link. But I just tried it again, and lots of your recipes popped up. This will make my dinner time adventures so much easier! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

good to know thanks!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 1, 2011

I’m seeing a theme around the blog-world this morning… ha,ha. Loved the pool joke.

Tabbbouleh looks great! I love it.

~

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit April 1, 2011

hahahahahah poor Eric! but yeah, playing cruel jokes on your man is so fun from time to time ;).

great recipe, i’ve fallen in love with buckwheat recently!

Ashley April 1, 2011

Hahaha oh man, great post Ang!! 1 – you ARE evil…salted cookies muahaha 2 – YES you had me fooled 3 – we’ll be rebuilding our front porch sometime soon as well… 4 – buckwheat!!!! :) 5 – those tortillas are delish! 6- miss youuuuuuuuuuu

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) April 1, 2011

I like the idea of adding sun-dried tomatoes! I make my tabbouleh with quinoa. It’s another way to be gluten-free and also packs the protein. Here’s the recipe -

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 1, 2011

Do any Canadians have outdoor pools?! ;)

I love tabbouleh – it’s a must-order anytime I go to a Greek/Mediterranean restaurant. Never heard of putting sun-dried tomatoes in it – always see the fresh tomatoes. I’m going to have to try my hand at making it myself now too!

Michelle April 1, 2011

Looks yummy. Printing recipe now.

Abby April 1, 2011

You’re good! Totally had me fooled with the pool! Lol

Vanessa April 1, 2011

Oooh, are you putting in a fence for a possible puppy in the near future?? P.S. I totally bought the pool gag. That would be super awesome, not gonna lie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

hehe nope!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 1, 2011

ahhhaha i love the pool joke!!! yummy recipe!! i have never had buckwheat before!

Lesley Lifting Life April 1, 2011

Haha, can’t wait to hear what Eric has to say about those cookies! ;)

Freya April 1, 2011

Ooh that looks good!
And HA you did have me with the swimming pool at first :p I haven’t done an April Fool’s yet, but Caitlin’s lottery one was pretty epic! She 100% had me!
I bet those cookies will actually be really nice, and you’ll have created a new recipe sensation :P

Picky Nicky April 1, 2011

I LOVE THOSE WRAPS! You should try making a sandwich wrap with them and letting the entire thing crisp up in the oven – The filling gets warm and the tortilla gets crispy and flaky. There are no words :D

Lissy April 1, 2011

that cookie thing is genius!
of course even after reading that I totally believed you were getting a pool. I was thinking, damn, how much money do they have??? lol

Jena April 1, 2011

I think the surprise is you’re going to plant a vegetable/herb garden:)

You totally had me at the pool. I even liked the first pic, then second one however was over the top!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini April 1, 2011

You’d better have a good dinner waiting for him! lol.

I’m amazed by the renovation projects y’all take on. I can barely paint a room.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 1, 2011

i love those wraps! always have some on hand in the freezer. that recipe looks fantastic and so summery, love it :)

AGS @ West With Flight April 1, 2011

A favorite summer meal for my family when I was in high school/college, was to have a variety of summer salads — and one of them was always tabbouleh — we loved having some homemade hummus and baba ganoush with it, too. . . sitting out on the little patio, on a summer evening. That’s the life. Now I miss summer, my Mom, and homemade food. . . at least it’s Friday.

Hillary April 1, 2011

The new search bar is great!!! Now it will be easy for me when I’m craving a green monster flavor to find anything you’ve made like that! What a treat!!

Amelia April 1, 2011

Great post! I never know what to do for an April fool’s joke. I guess my husband knows me well enough to know that I can’t keep a straight face long enough to pull one off!

A couple of ideas….I would say that you are either building an extension on to your house specifically for a new “Glo-Bakery” kitchen or you are putting in some kind of garden/green house for fresh veggies!

Ashley April 1, 2011

Haha, you totally got me on the pool. It was so pretty!

Ashley April 1, 2011

Haha…great prank! I was actually going to try and fool my husband this morning by walking in with a pregnancy test and saying “I think I’m pregnant”, but the minute he woke up, he said ‘Did you know today was April Fool’s Day?’. Ugh! Ruined my plan! Oh well…

And I am loving those brown rice tortillas right now. So delicious!

Presley April 1, 2011

Starred this recipe. I *must* have this soon :)

Kelsey April 1, 2011

hahaha you totally got me with the pool! and you’ll have to share Eric’s reaction to the cookies! This tabouli looks so fresh and delicious!

Rebecca April 1, 2011

Oh you are naughty today!! That cookie prank is hilarious!!! I am now seriously tempted to whip up a batch of salt bombs since no one has thought any of my April Fools jokes were funny yet. :) And you had me — hook line and sinker about the pool. aaah…

Seriously, though, I love your blog! You have such a healthy perspective of food that really inspires me. I’ve been through a similar road to health as you and it is great to see how you have come to a happy and healthy balance. And your super creativity in the kitchen always gives me the cooking itch! Keep up the amazing work you do. :)

Carly April 1, 2011

I’m super gullible, so I was really proud I hadn’t fallen for all the April Fools jokes in the blogs this morning. Until your pool trick. I was so excited for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

haha! I probably would have believed it too ;)

Hillary April 1, 2011

Are you measuring for a garden?

Sarah April 1, 2011

You should try mint in the tabbouleh! It gives it such a nice freshness :)

AGS @ West With Flight April 1, 2011

P.S. This has got to be the best April Fool’s so far today! http://livingsocial.com/spalami (and yes, I was also a bit grossed out)

Jasmine April 1, 2011

hahaha oh man… you got me so good with the whole swimming pool thing. I’m with Carly, I was so happy I had managed to see through all the April Fools jokes I’ve encountered, until now. I was getting so excited about the rock formations and how awesome that would look! But I’m sure your new deck will be just as great :)
Can’t wait to hear about Eric’s reaction to the cookies… my dad did that to us once with a pie he made. Excpet it wasn’t April fools, and he didn’t do it on purpose haha (and there were no delcious oat squares to make up for it) Although I have to say, if I was Eric I’d be too scared to try the square after the cookies… As they say- fool me once…

Heather (heathers dish) April 1, 2011

Angela, this looks amazing! I am totally craving clean, classic taboulleh and hummus now!

Kendall April 1, 2011

YOU DID FOOL ME! hahaha I thought “they’re doing such a great job with their inside renos…..but…..what the?” haha! AND we have the SAME BIRTHDAY! Go May 16th!!! :) its a great day if I do say so myself!

Page 1 of 41234»