Buckwheat Tabbouleh

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on April 1, 2011

IMG_3780

Happy April Fools!

Did you play any practical jokes on anyone yet? Please do tell. :)

I must say I did something pretty cruel to Eric!

I’m not the practical joke kind of person, but this year I was feeling extra devious. I whipped up a couple of super salty cookies last night (I literally dumped the salt in and made sure they were gag worthy!), and over-baked the cookies in the microwave (so they were tough as bricks). And then I left the cookies by the car keys, but I didn’t say anything to him about the cookies so he wouldn’t get suspicious. I also left him an oat square when guilt started to set in (I’m a softy!).

He spotted them this morning and took both the cookies and the oat square to work, naturally. Oh man, he is going to gag when he tastes the cookies! I tried a tiny bit of the dough last night and it was so so so salty. I’m so evil.

At least he has a delicious oat square to wash it down?

Before I turned into an evil wife at the strike of midnight, I was a good wife helping Eric measure in our backyard…

IMG_9986

What were we measuring for?

We are putting in a SWIMMING POOL this spring!

This is the model that we selected below after months of debate and number crunching. It is going to be quite exotic looking when it is all said and done and I think it will go really well with the green backdrop of the forest. It has a spa-feel that we just love.

Sample_Waterscape

[Source]

We are trying to decide what kind of rock display we want for the waterfall and if we want a big slide too.

NewCastleSidePool

What do you think? Is this rock display too much?

6inFront

[Source]

Ok, ok we aren’t really putting in a pool, but did I fool you? :)

If we do put a pool in our backyard, I think it will have to be this kind…!!!

Riley%20in%20the%20kiddie%20pool%207-14%20002

[source]

Bahahaa. Could that dog look any less amused?

IMG_9996

We were actually measuring for two things.

IMG_9994

1) We are rebuilding our deck this Spring. This is our next big reno project. We’re very excited about replacing the deck because some of the boards have rotted so much you could actually fall through them! If you don’t see me for a few days, you know where I am…stuck in the deck!

IMG_9997

We are hoping that the base will be in good enough condition so we can keep it intact. Eric has to wait for the ground to thaw a bit more before he can take a good look. Hopefully there is no rotting on the base and we can simply rebuild the top layer! That will save a ton of time and money. We are hoping to have it ready for my birthday on May 16th. We’re planning a big outdoor event with friends, so we have a tight deadline to work with.

IMG_9999

The second thing we were measuring for is a surprise, but I can tell you it doesn’t involve water!

IMG_9986

After measuring and a walk around the neighbourhood, we had a lovely dinner.

IMG_3786

This was my first time ever making Tabbouleh. I couldn’t get over how easy it was to make and how delicious it turned out! I also never knew I liked Parsley so much. I thought using Buckwheat in this recipe was a fun idea, but you could really use any kind of grain that you prefer in this dish.

The recipe called for sun-dried tomatoes and I actually had some that I had been meaning to use for a while now. Unfortunately when I read the package I realized the kind I bought has sulphites in them. Sulphites give me really bad headaches, so I opted not to include them in this dish and used fresh tomatoes instead.

IMG_3761

This recipe is FOOL proof- cook the buckwheat (or grain), chop veggies, pour on the dressing ingredients, and mix!

IMG_3768 IMG_3773

IMG_3786

This was AMAZING! What a perfect dish for Spring. :)

IMG_3807

Granted, I used a bit too much Parsley, but it’s all good. I used about 4 cups, but I recommend using 2.5-3 cups. I also used Curly Parsley, but I don’t think I chopped it finely enough because it was scratchy on our throats. Next time I will use less and chop it much more! A reader also said that you can add the dressing to the Parsley to let it soak in to help soften it up.

Have you tried these Food for Life Gluten-Free Brown Rice Tortillas? I spotted them at the grocery store and had to try them out because the tortillas looked so thin and pliable (two traits I love in tortillas!), and wow I just love them. They are much less hearty than the Ezekiel kind, but I love that they are a bit thinner. Keep them stored in the freezer or they do tend to dry out quickly.

IMG_3809

Search your little heart out

Untitled

Good news- I have a NEW Search bar installed on the right side bar of the blog.

If you have tried searching the blog before you probably were frustrated that it didn’t work well. This new  one is amazing and I hope that you will be able to find things much quicker! Go check it out and give it a try and let me know if it is working for you. :)

Happy April Sun

Holly @ The Runny Egg April 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

The buckwheat dish looks so good!

And you totally had me fooled about the pool — I just kept thinking “are they nuts?” Ok, so you’re redo-ing the deck and maybe putting in a greenhouse? That is my guess!

Kristy H April 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

yumm, looks amazing and i cant wait to make some. good luck with the renos!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans April 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

I totally believed you were building a pool! The one you showed looks so nice too :)

Baking 'n' Books April 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Wait…I did/do believe it…so it’s not true?! …urgh you bloggers…I also believed Caitlin from HTP won the Jackpot.

I was slightly – just a teensy bit – jealous and almost fainted. Totally normal.

;)

I’m not a fan of the Ezekiel tortillas – hard as a rock! I’ve tried Corn Tortillas before but not much better either. Can you “produce” some by recipe Angela? :)

Eliza April 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

I LOVE taboulleh. In fact, I love it so much that I was eating it every day last summer and I actually developed an allergy to parsley! Now my lips swell up if I have it. Isn’t that nuts?! Word to the wise, there IS such a thing as too much of a good taboulleh.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

wow that is crazy!! Ive never heard of a parsley allergy before.

Therese April 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

You almost had me fooled! But I didn’t figure you were an elaborate rock-formation type of gal! LOL Would be nice though, eh?

Love the tabbouleh! I’ll have to give a shot! Anything with sun-dried tomatoes is fine by me!!!

Happy April!!!

Michelle April 1, 2011 at 8:32 am

I love Tabbouleh- and always add way too much parsley to mine as well (which I love, my boyfriend, not so much). I am not sure subbing italian parsley is a good idea- it has a different flavor, and is much stronger. I wouldn’t like it as much. What I do to lessen the “scratchy-ness” of curly parsley is to chop is super fine, and coat it in the olive oil/lemon juice mixture before mixing in the other ingredients- doesn’t completely get rid of it, but it makes a difference if it wilts a bit.

Hilarious on the pool joke- you had me. I can never think of good April fool’s jokes in time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

Hmm that is a great tip, I will add it into the recipe. Thanks!

Ulrika April 2, 2011 at 11:06 am

…put the parsley in a pan and drizzle olive oil over it, put it on the stove and let it get warm- not hot, only warm, it takes away the scratchy and brings out the flavor!

Jackie @ Baking Charms April 1, 2011 at 8:38 am

I love those brown rice tortillas and buy them all the time! They are a bit chewy but are my favorite alternative so far :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

yea they are def. chewy…it grew on me!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 1, 2011 at 8:39 am

Hehe, excellent prank!! I love the photo of the pool and think it would be AMAZING if you actually put one in.. complete with the slide AND the waterfall! Although who are we kidding… does it REALLY feel like swimming weather right now!? We can dream, right? The tabbouleh looks great! I hope you have a wonderful day Ange!

Sarah April 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

I was excited for you about the pool, until you started talking about rock formations…good one :-/
I love tabbouleh-it’s so easy to make. I always make mine with barley and I add chickpeas. Num!
And the new search bars works great! When I searched brownies on Tuesday night, looking for a recipe, it just came up with a recipe link. But I just tried it again, and lots of your recipes popped up. This will make my dinner time adventures so much easier! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 8:44 am

good to know thanks!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey April 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

I’m seeing a theme around the blog-world this morning… ha,ha. Loved the pool joke.

Tabbbouleh looks great! I love it.

~

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit April 1, 2011 at 8:45 am

hahahahahah poor Eric! but yeah, playing cruel jokes on your man is so fun from time to time ;).

great recipe, i’ve fallen in love with buckwheat recently!

Ashley April 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

Hahaha oh man, great post Ang!! 1 – you ARE evil…salted cookies muahaha 2 – YES you had me fooled 3 – we’ll be rebuilding our front porch sometime soon as well… 4 – buckwheat!!!! :) 5 – those tortillas are delish! 6- miss youuuuuuuuuuu

Kate (Bread & Chocolate) April 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

I like the idea of adding sun-dried tomatoes! I make my tabbouleh with quinoa. It’s another way to be gluten-free and also packs the protein. Here’s the recipe –

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 1, 2011 at 8:48 am

Do any Canadians have outdoor pools?! ;)

I love tabbouleh – it’s a must-order anytime I go to a Greek/Mediterranean restaurant. Never heard of putting sun-dried tomatoes in it – always see the fresh tomatoes. I’m going to have to try my hand at making it myself now too!

Michelle April 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

Looks yummy. Printing recipe now.

Abby April 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

You’re good! Totally had me fooled with the pool! Lol

Vanessa April 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

Oooh, are you putting in a fence for a possible puppy in the near future?? P.S. I totally bought the pool gag. That would be super awesome, not gonna lie!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 8:51 am

hehe nope!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) April 1, 2011 at 8:49 am

ahhhaha i love the pool joke!!! yummy recipe!! i have never had buckwheat before!

Lesley Lifting Life April 1, 2011 at 8:51 am

Haha, can’t wait to hear what Eric has to say about those cookies! ;)

Freya April 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

Ooh that looks good!
And HA you did have me with the swimming pool at first :p I haven’t done an April Fool’s yet, but Caitlin’s lottery one was pretty epic! She 100% had me!
I bet those cookies will actually be really nice, and you’ll have created a new recipe sensation :P

Picky Nicky April 1, 2011 at 8:52 am

I LOVE THOSE WRAPS! You should try making a sandwich wrap with them and letting the entire thing crisp up in the oven – The filling gets warm and the tortilla gets crispy and flaky. There are no words :D

Lissy April 1, 2011 at 8:53 am

that cookie thing is genius!
of course even after reading that I totally believed you were getting a pool. I was thinking, damn, how much money do they have??? lol

Jena April 1, 2011 at 8:55 am

I think the surprise is you’re going to plant a vegetable/herb garden:)

You totally had me at the pool. I even liked the first pic, then second one however was over the top!

Nicole @ yuppie yogini April 1, 2011 at 9:01 am

You’d better have a good dinner waiting for him! lol.

I’m amazed by the renovation projects y’all take on. I can barely paint a room.

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) April 1, 2011 at 9:05 am

i love those wraps! always have some on hand in the freezer. that recipe looks fantastic and so summery, love it :)

AGS @ West With Flight April 1, 2011 at 9:06 am

A favorite summer meal for my family when I was in high school/college, was to have a variety of summer salads — and one of them was always tabbouleh — we loved having some homemade hummus and baba ganoush with it, too. . . sitting out on the little patio, on a summer evening. That’s the life. Now I miss summer, my Mom, and homemade food. . . at least it’s Friday.

Hillary April 1, 2011 at 9:09 am

The new search bar is great!!! Now it will be easy for me when I’m craving a green monster flavor to find anything you’ve made like that! What a treat!!

Amelia April 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Great post! I never know what to do for an April fool’s joke. I guess my husband knows me well enough to know that I can’t keep a straight face long enough to pull one off!

A couple of ideas….I would say that you are either building an extension on to your house specifically for a new “Glo-Bakery” kitchen or you are putting in some kind of garden/green house for fresh veggies!

Ashley April 1, 2011 at 9:18 am

Haha, you totally got me on the pool. It was so pretty!

Ashley April 1, 2011 at 9:19 am

Haha…great prank! I was actually going to try and fool my husband this morning by walking in with a pregnancy test and saying “I think I’m pregnant”, but the minute he woke up, he said ‘Did you know today was April Fool’s Day?’. Ugh! Ruined my plan! Oh well…

And I am loving those brown rice tortillas right now. So delicious!

Presley April 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

Starred this recipe. I *must* have this soon :)

Kelsey April 1, 2011 at 9:28 am

hahaha you totally got me with the pool! and you’ll have to share Eric’s reaction to the cookies! This tabouli looks so fresh and delicious!

Rebecca April 1, 2011 at 9:32 am

Oh you are naughty today!! That cookie prank is hilarious!!! I am now seriously tempted to whip up a batch of salt bombs since no one has thought any of my April Fools jokes were funny yet. :) And you had me — hook line and sinker about the pool. aaah…

Seriously, though, I love your blog! You have such a healthy perspective of food that really inspires me. I’ve been through a similar road to health as you and it is great to see how you have come to a happy and healthy balance. And your super creativity in the kitchen always gives me the cooking itch! Keep up the amazing work you do. :)

Carly April 1, 2011 at 9:33 am

I’m super gullible, so I was really proud I hadn’t fallen for all the April Fools jokes in the blogs this morning. Until your pool trick. I was so excited for you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

haha! I probably would have believed it too ;)

Hillary April 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Are you measuring for a garden?

Sarah April 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

You should try mint in the tabbouleh! It gives it such a nice freshness :)

AGS @ West With Flight April 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

P.S. This has got to be the best April Fool’s so far today! http://livingsocial.com/spalami (and yes, I was also a bit grossed out)

Jasmine April 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

hahaha oh man… you got me so good with the whole swimming pool thing. I’m with Carly, I was so happy I had managed to see through all the April Fools jokes I’ve encountered, until now. I was getting so excited about the rock formations and how awesome that would look! But I’m sure your new deck will be just as great :)
Can’t wait to hear about Eric’s reaction to the cookies… my dad did that to us once with a pie he made. Excpet it wasn’t April fools, and he didn’t do it on purpose haha (and there were no delcious oat squares to make up for it) Although I have to say, if I was Eric I’d be too scared to try the square after the cookies… As they say- fool me once…

Heather (heathers dish) April 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

Angela, this looks amazing! I am totally craving clean, classic taboulleh and hummus now!

Kendall April 1, 2011 at 9:42 am

YOU DID FOOL ME! hahaha I thought “they’re doing such a great job with their inside renos…..but…..what the?” haha! AND we have the SAME BIRTHDAY! Go May 16th!!! :) its a great day if I do say so myself!

Shanna, like Banana April 1, 2011 at 9:48 am

You’ll have to share with us what happens with Eric — love that you played a gag =)

Leia April 1, 2011 at 9:59 am

If you’re reacting badly to sulphites, why don’t you try making sundried tomatoes at home in the oven? It is cheating a bit, but they’re still yummy :)

Lauren April 1, 2011 at 10:01 am

Too funny, love the April Fool’s joke :) Love this! Such a healthy and delicious dish. Food for Life is great!

cathyk April 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

I love both your april fool’s jokes, angela! I like your sense of humour!
I put an april fool’s joke on my blog this morning but people are believing me-joke fail!!!
Please tell us eric’s cookie reaction!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 2:54 pm

His reaction was nothing short of amazing. Full recap coming soon!

[email protected] April 1, 2011 at 10:02 am

Yay I have all of the ingredients on hand im definitely making this tonight! I love that pool and I am a little disappointed you are not putting it in :( I have always wanted a pool like that!

emma April 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

Hi Sweetie! I so love “Oh She Glows”. You are very inspirational and I’ve featured you in my latest post – hope that’s ok :-) x

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Thanks Emma! :) Will check out your blog.

Ari @ TheDiVa DiSh April 1, 2011 at 10:15 am

haha you are so funny :) I need to get my husband…hmmmm (evil thinking)

I love tabbouleh! It is one of my fav dishes!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 1, 2011 at 10:43 am

I love that you gave him a real dessert too, you are too nice:-)

Kristen April 1, 2011 at 10:52 am

Oooh, you are evil! But, what a great idea! I might have to try that next year (I’m not much of a prankster either). I can’t wait to hear about your deck reno! Our deck also has rotted boards and we definitely want to redo the deck ourselves, so I will be interested to hear how your process goes!

jenna April 1, 2011 at 10:56 am

you had me fooled about the pool…my jaw dropped and i’m thinkging “why would someone living in canada build such a beautiful expensive pool they could only use mayb 3 months out of the year??” :) good one!

i love tabbouleh! its so flavorful! this recipe looks great!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini April 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

your Tabbouleh is sooo pretteh!!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 1, 2011 at 11:05 am

I totally believed you about the pool until you mentioned the waterfall. That seemed like a bit too much. ;)

I DO believe you that the tabbouleh is amazing though. That’s one of my favourite dishes!

Mama Pea April 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

Oh man, I love the salty cookie idea. I may have to steal that. ;)

Steph April 1, 2011 at 11:32 am

I totally believed you BUT I was going to leave a comment saying I think it’s a bit cold where you live for a pool!

Can’t wait to find out what else you were measuring for!

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day April 1, 2011 at 11:38 am

I love the use of Buckwheat in the Tabouli!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) April 1, 2011 at 11:42 am

Was gonna say… a pool ? Can you have a pool where it snows ?? lol Good one Ange. you had me going for a second there ;)

Roz April 1, 2011 at 11:44 am

A pool????? OK…I fell for it.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt April 1, 2011 at 11:50 am

That pool was gorgeous! You totally fooled me…until you mentioned different rock formations. hahaha I think I’m going to pick up some of those brown rice tortillas, they look good!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day April 1, 2011 at 11:51 am

Do ANY Canadians have backyard pools? :)

Beth April 1, 2011 at 11:53 am

The tabbouleh looks great, and so easy to make.
I had no idea about the Food for Life Gluten-Free Brown Rice Tortillas. Thanks for the tip! I’ll be looking for them next time I’m at the store.

Amber K April 1, 2011 at 11:57 am

That looks so delicious! I haven’t seen those brown rice tortillas in my grocery store, but since going gluten-free I have definitely missed good tortillas. I LOVE flour tortillas, but those are out and corn tortillas are just not a good substitute.

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious April 1, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I just finished my first package of those brown rice tortillas – I loved them!!

What a good prankster you are! I was thinking to myself…Geesh, your bakery must be making you a fortune!!!

The tabbouleh looks yummy – I’ve never tried making it before, but it looks easy enough to whip up as a healthy and filling dinner!

Heather @ Health, Happiness, and Hope April 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

That deck will be wonderful in the summer!

I eat those Tortillas almost every day!!!! LOVE THEM! :) What a great recipe Angela. I’ve never made Tabbouleh myself, but it always looks so delicious and a perfect dish to bring to parties/get-togethers.

Sara April 1, 2011 at 12:12 pm

YES I love the new search!! Thanks!! :D

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude April 1, 2011 at 12:20 pm

lol, when I saw pictures of the pool i thought: “That doesn’t seem like an Angie thing to do.” The cleaning would be horrible with all those trees around, haha! :) :) I’m cool with crazy rock tower water falls at hotels :)

I hope you post what Eric’s reaction is to the cookies! bwa haha! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Oh his reaction couldnt have been any better!!

Heather April 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I just tried the Food for Life Brown Rice Wraps, I love them! I made quesadiallas and they turned out so crispy! Delicious!

Becky April 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Yum!!! My roommate taught me to make tabbouleh last year – she always made it with quinoa and/or brown rice, with mint and parsley and a few chopped olives (everything else was similar to your recipe). Using the food processor to chop the parsley and mint has worked for me in the past too – curly parsley is harder to manage than it looks, haha.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) April 1, 2011 at 12:31 pm

HAHAHHA you totally had me with the pool! I was going to start telling you how beautiful that is. Good one!

I’ve never had tabbouleh, but it looks delicious.

Paige @Running Around Normal April 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

baaahhahah! Eric’s gonna howl when he tastes those cookies :-P That’s a good one! I may just do that when I hang out with some friends tonight… muahaha

[email protected] Hungry Gazelle April 1, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Oh my gosh, you totally had me going over the pool!!! I couldn’t believe you were going to put a Playboy style pool in your yard! You’re out of control this year :)

Stephanie April 1, 2011 at 12:35 pm

You have the same birthday as my nonna and one of my cats! Also this tabbouleh looks delish. I <3 parsley so I don't think I'd mind overdoing it ;)

Danielle April 1, 2011 at 12:46 pm

My guess is that you are building a garden/greenhouse or a shed. But I am leaning towards a garden. Also, I am soo happy about the new search feature because it rocks! Sooo much easier to find something based on an ingredient or topic!

Rachel April 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

The search recipe button works really well now!!

I must try the tabbouleh, it looks so fresh!

I hope your husband likes the cookies! ;)

Kelly Anne April 1, 2011 at 12:51 pm

I think you are measuring for a swing set or play area…maybe for a little Glow baby?? :)

The tabbouleh looks great! I’m going to try it!

Maria April 1, 2011 at 1:00 pm

D’oh! I totally fell for the ol’ “measuring for a pool trick” :P

vanessa April 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm

I loved the April Fool’s joke, but I honestly thought when I came on here today that there would be a recipe for Pot Roast with Hollandaise sauce, or something :) Now THAT would have been funny :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 1:15 pm

i def. thought about it…but wasn’t into the whole buying and cooking meat! ;)

SAM April 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm

This morning a friend texted me to let me know his wife was having twins. They had been trying for two years to have a baby (and are pregnant), so I thought it was possible. I msg’d him back to ask why they hadn’t found out sooner, and he said one was “hiding” behind the other. When I msg’d him with Congratulations, he finally fessed up. Luckily, I wasn’t the only one to fall for his little joke.

Sam
samanthaball.ca
*Check out my Lululemon giveaway*

[email protected] April 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm

hahhahhaha I love that joke on Eric!! you HAVE to tell us the results :D you’re cutely evil Angela~ I know i’m such a softy too–I can never hold out a joke or trick for longer than 5 minutes with my fiance. and yes! i LOVE those tortillas! they’re so easy on the stomach too, at least for me. have a blessed day!

Moni'sMeals April 1, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I like your idea to Eric to get him! I have to get my husband, he always beats me to it!

This meals is looking good right about now for lunch.

carri z. April 1, 2011 at 1:25 pm

ha!! that was awesome!

KatieM~Run For The Bikini! April 1, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Ahaha that is an awesome April Fools!! I didn’t do anything because I couldn’t think of anything that wasn’t completely obvious :/

Willow April 1, 2011 at 1:43 pm

OK, this is weird…

1) Just YESTERDAY I was searching my new favourite blog (that’s yours) for recipes using cilantro since I had a bunch leftover. I only got one sad result (the very recipe I had already made, hence the leftover cilantro in my fridge.) Today, I read your post and problem solved! Many cilantro-y search results! Yay!

2) I just made a packaged tabbouleh last week and thought, “Hmm, this is OK but I could probably make my own version better, cheaper, and healthier.” Then your recipe arrives in my news feed!

3) My birthday? May 16!

This blog post made me smile. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Your comment made me smile! That is so fun :)

Sophia @ Raven Waves April 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Nice search feature! It does work really well! Happy April Fools too :)

bitt of raw April 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Maybe you’ll get a hot tub. Way better than a pool anyhow I think.

bree marsh @ deliciously dense April 1, 2011 at 1:48 pm

wow, looks delish! yours has way more parsley than mine!…

i also got inspired by your carrot and beet salad…

thanks, have a great weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 2:47 pm

mmm looks good!

Lynna April 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm

ahahaha I love how your put so much effort into your April Fools. Salty cookies is a good one– I’d have trouble not ruining the trick, it’s hard for me to keep things like that to myself!

WIERDGREENMAN April 1, 2011 at 2:38 pm

Your new search bar is SO much better! It’s WAY easier to navigate now. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

whohoo!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) April 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

search bars rock. I use my own search bar on my blog all the time! Sometimes I know I wrote a post and can’t even find it altho my current one is wayyyy better than my last one.

Buckwheat Tabbouleh looks delish!!! the flavors just look stellar and I love the POP of color intermixed in it.

Putting a pool in? In Canada? I didnt even fall for it :)

The rotting deck. Ugh.. My parents have that happen almost every year after all the snow melts after all those months..they live in MN and so 6 mos a year, there’s snow on the ground. I feel your pain girl! Hope you guys get it fixed easily and cheaply$

Noelle April 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

I can;t beleve you had nto made tabbouleh yet! It is so down your alley! You should next try it with bulghur because that is how the true recipe calls for.

Jonna April 1, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Hi Angela,

I’m in process of baking my berry bliss bars as I type. I didn’t have blueberries or even fresh berries, I used a combo of frozen cherries and frozen strawberries. I did add the banana. I added just a touch more cornstarch and the 1/4 cup of maple I found to be plenty sweet (I may even decrease next time). The filling tasted amazing! I’ll let you know how they turn out, but frozen berries work fine and I think any mix would be delicious! Thanks for the recipe. I love how it’s sweetened with the syrup and no other added sugar or fat!

Thanks,
Jonna

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Gina April 1, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I must say, I did not fall for your pool joke. I’ve been reading your blog for over a year now and I just “know” you too well I think! ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

hehe that’s cute!

Jodi April 1, 2011 at 3:58 pm

Wow the tabouleh looks so fresh and amazing!
And thank you – your search bar is awesome now. I always struggled finding recipes I once saw before!

Hilary April 1, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Nice pool joke…haha! I put almond extract in my mom’s water!

Audrey April 1, 2011 at 4:10 pm

You totally fooled me with the pool!

That salad looks so fresh and delicious!

Char April 1, 2011 at 4:35 pm

So if the deck has to be ready by your birthday, and by putting May 16th, you mean that IS your birthday…you just made me like you even more (not that I didn’t already) because is my birthday as well!! I’ve never used buckwheat, but this definitely makes me want to!!

kaila @ healthy helper! April 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

So you liked the brown rice tortillas huh? I tried them a few months ago and thought they were so dry and crumbly! To each her own though lol! Tabbouleh is one of my fave Mediterranean dishes and your version looks scrumptious!

Olya April 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Maan, I did fall for a pool joke! My jaw went open and I was looking at photo and kept thinking how is that possible to build. Haha! My hubby and I are thinking of building a little pond with water feature and getting some ducks in to give company to our chickens.

Melissa @ Be Not Simply Good April 1, 2011 at 5:07 pm

You totally fooled me. I was thinking about pool maintenance, and wouldn’t you get a lot of leaves in the pool if there’s a forest back drop? You see, we have so many trees and have decided it would be way to hard to keep a pool clean at our house, if we really had the money to put in a pool anyway… :)

Mimi (Gingersnaps) April 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I love your prank! I wrote a gag post on my blog too…but people are falling for it!

Lovely recipe too! I like that buckwheat kernals are a little bigger than bulgur.

Emma (Namaste Everyday) April 1, 2011 at 5:55 pm

lol you totally fooled me about the pool! that recipe looks delicious, I’m getting bored of my plain salads! Thanks :)

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble April 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Yum! I love Tabbouleh!

Too bad you’re not getting that sweet pool! Although I don’t know if it’s warm long enough to get much use out of such an awesome pool!

Jen (The Best Kitchen) April 1, 2011 at 6:15 pm

You fooled me with the pool too! Nice pics btw :D

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 1, 2011 at 6:19 pm

Ohh those tortillas look tasty. And of COURSE that salad looks like it could rock my world. YUM!

And you had me fooled for a bit!

Jackie April 1, 2011 at 6:36 pm

So happy to have a Tabbouleh recipe! Made your Quinoa Pizza Balls last night (delicious)! I am looking for a good bean & quinoa veggie burger recipe (since I have a LOT of red beans leftover). You had me going on the pool too…I would have picked the first one!

Christine April 1, 2011 at 6:59 pm

When I saw the pool, all I thought was…the deep freeze that is our Canadian winter will ruin that pool!

Anna April 1, 2011 at 7:16 pm

I love the new search bar!!! Much more user-friendly.

Kate April 1, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That looks yummy! Fortuitously my mum just made a tabouli with quinoa, instead of barley yesterday. it was nothing short of amazing (albeit that I’m a big tabouli fan!) I’m curious about sundried and carrots! I’ve always had mine with just tomato and cumber (and parsley obviously). I wonder if it’s an Australian thing?

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 1, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I WISH I was putting in a pool!!! I miss having a pool every summer. My parents’ pool exploded like on America’s Funniest Home Videos – no joke!!! :)

I love those tortillas. I use them for wraps all the time!

M April 1, 2011 at 8:28 pm

I am guessing you are measuring for either

-a sauna
-a veggie garden!
-a separate business/work space/or store
hmmmm….when will you let us know? ;)

Kaleigh April 1, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Angela,
I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now after I stumbled upon it while searching for smoothie recipes. I have been making “Green Monsters” for a year or so now and I LOVE them! And now I don’t feel like such a loner while drinking them! My friends think I am nuts, but every now and then I can convince my husband do drink them!

The new “Search” bar ROCKS!!! I had been trying to navigate through your blog to find some recipe ideas but it would get tough. So much better now, thank you!

I share a lot of the same interests as you, and it is so fun to read your great ideas. Thank you for being such a positive source of encouragement for women. It is such a breath of fresh air to read your entries, and hear about ways for women to be proud of their bodies instead of hating and punishing them! I am ditching the magazines and subscribing to your blog!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Thank you Kaleigh!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} April 1, 2011 at 9:03 pm

You totally had me fooled with the pool. I was jealous. :-)

Caitlin @ TPL April 1, 2011 at 9:45 pm

I have been in love with those wraps for month, I’m so happy I’ve been seeing them pop up on the blog world more and more recently! I don’t think they actually “wrap” very well but so delicious it doesn’t even matter.

Kat @ Cupcake Kat April 1, 2011 at 9:48 pm

You had me for a second. I thought you were actually putting in a pool. Its really funny what you did to Eric

Sara April 1, 2011 at 10:46 pm

That fancy pool wouldn’t get too much use in Canada would it?..

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit April 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Is it a fire pit? I can’t WAIT to get ours this summer. We just built a new house so we have a mud pit as a backyard. It’s horrible. Those tortillas are amazing. We use them for pizza – 400F for 10 minutes with tasty toppings. AWESOME!

Hannah April 1, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Oh, you have GOT to tell us Eric’s reaction! That’s hilarious! I’ve rarely eaten tabbouleh because my mum’s allergic to wheat, but now you’ve reminded me I can make it with non-wheat grains!

Richelle April 1, 2011 at 11:40 pm

Haha! I’m so gullible, I really thought you were putting a pool in. Fixing the deck sounds great though too. The Tabbouleh looks great.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty April 2, 2011 at 12:51 am

This sounds amazing!!! :) I love my tabbouleh with some balsamic vinegar!! (try it, it’s SO good)

Those wraps are super good toasted too!! I always stuff mine and then press it in my gf grill! I love the crispiness!

I totally forgot it was AF day, and I was thinking “why would they spend all that money on a pool when it’s so cold there… bhahahaa, jokes on me I guess.. I blame it on all the studying I’m doing!

Have an awesome weekend!

Marcella April 2, 2011 at 5:55 am

You had me totally fooled that you were going to build a pool! You are a crafty one. :)

Are you measuring for a room extension for a little glow worm? I follow your tweets and you mentioned your sciatic nerve was bothering you. Mine bothered me when I was expecting my little worms. :)

I love your blog! You and Eric are doing a terrific job on renovating your home.

Leslie Paquette April 2, 2011 at 7:12 am

You totally had me with the pool!!! That is the second April fools joke I feel for this year. Have your special salty brick cookies been eaten yet?? lol. I love tabouleh but am not alsways a fan of the way bulgher wheat tastes. The buckwheat groats look good, I’ll have to buy some. Another update on the Vegan Date Squares, they are still going like crazy at work. 5 more coworkers tried them and all asked for the recipe!!!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking April 2, 2011 at 10:17 am

HAHA oh man, you are too funny with the salty cookies!

Christine (The Raw Project) April 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

Great gag, that is devious! And too funny about the pool. The Buckwheat Tabbouleh looks great, thanks for the recipe and inspiration on how to use a huge jub of buckwheat I have in my pantry!

Namaste Gurl April 2, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Hehe, you totally pranked me- goes to show how gullible I are :) You did well at that joke!
I’m using more buckwheat, and don’t know what to do with it other than granola and Ashley’s breakfast bakes, so this looks delicious! :)

Lou April 2, 2011 at 8:36 pm

why didn’t you take pictures of the salty cookies! hahaah and yea i was like :O when you said you’re building a hotel-like-pool

Katie (quick cook rice) April 3, 2011 at 9:16 am

Haha. But this recipe is no joke! Can’t wait to try it.

Catherine April 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I WAS a little surprised about the pool, but you fooled me! Good luck with the deck reno. You guys are so handy. Also, that’s awesome about the search function – thank you!!

Muscle Bound Gal aka Grace April 4, 2011 at 10:51 am

It’s been a long time since I’ve pulled an April Fool’s joke on anyone but I did this time and pulled it off pretty well. I actually did the same thing to 3 of my co-workers. While they were away from their desks, I strategically placed a sticky note on the bottom of their mouse, so when they tried to move their mouse, nothing would happen. It was so funny hearing the comments. LOL!

I love Taboulleh and have made it myself just once and it was awesome! Even the hubby liked it and he’s a picky eater.

Jane Wong April 5, 2011 at 12:30 am

You are too funny babe! The April’s fool salty cookies cracked me up. Did you ever think that Eric might be too afraid of being tricked again after tasting the cookies so he wouldn’t dare to touch the oat square and so he would have nothing to wash the yucky cookies down his throat with?! lol. I’d like to know if he thought you had gone mad the second he tasted the cookies….

it’s always a joy to read your blog whenever i get a chance cuz your sense of humor really shines through–with the gigantic rock and pool with slide pic. miss you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011 at 8:02 am

bahaha isn’t that classical conditioning or something? So more cookies for me is what you are saying? ;)

I miss you!!! xo

Paula April 6, 2011 at 12:26 pm

SO crazy! I made buckwheat tabbouleh on Sunday and then I came on here to see you made it too! Great minds think alike :) I thought buckwheat was an excellent sub for bulgur wheat – which is perfectly delightful, but for the gluten free crowd or those craving a something a little different, I thought the buckwheat was excellent.

You didn’t put any mint in yours? I guess not everyone likes mint, but some would argue that throwing in a bit of mint is key for a an authentic tabbouleh!

Cookin' Canuck April 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm

You had me fooled with the pool – I was actually becoming rather envious. This tabbouleh looks so fresh and full of goodness. It’s a perfect dish to welcome spring.

Beth Hathaway April 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

Hi Angela,

I really enjoy reading your blog and have cooked multiple dishes based off of your recipes (although not a vegetarian, this has been a great opportunity to reduce animal products from my diet). I cooked this tabbouleh recipe with fresh tomatoes, and the grain I had on hand, barley. It was really tasty and low calorie! I enjoyed the chewiness of the barley. Thanks for sharing :-)

anna January 9, 2014 at 6:24 am

On the PARSLEY – curly parsley is sold mostly only in the US, and it is parsley which is good for garnish because of its looks…its flavor is very poor, compared to the real deal – flat leaf parsley. In Marocco, where tabouleh comes from, they use flat leaf parsley.

Ruth May 18, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’m just starting the Hypotoxic Diet and buckwheat is one of the allowable “grains”. I love the look of your Taboulleh and want to try it as soon as I buy the buckwheat. I make a similar salad with Quinoa and Kale. To soften the kale I remove the stem, roll up the leaves and slice into very thin ribbons. Then when the quinoa is cooling in the pot I stir in the kale ribbons. They wilt in the heat, making them much more palatable. I think this would work with the parsley stirred into the cooling buckwheat. Or instead of parsley try using kale. I found your blog by googling “buckwheat recipes”. I will definitely bookmark this site and check back often. Thanks for the good read!