5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

This weekend we were packing to go away to our friend’s place and I almost forgot that I promised I’d bring something sweet for our potluck breakfast.

What’s a girl to do when she only has minutes to spare?

And what the heck do I bring for a potluck breakfast that would last for a 3 hour car trip and overnight?

And also please the non-vegan crowd?

Clearly, vegan overnight oats would have worked (for me!) but I’m not so sure everyone else would be down with my craziness. I wanted to avoid that awkward moment of silence as I try to explain to them why I packed a Tupperware full of mushy oats. No one wants an awkward potluck breakfast. Certainly not me.

So I stuck to my plan and I made something sweet that would be the perfect fit for a breakfast…

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Dates Squares!

IMG 3540   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

In a moment of total clarity, I remembered these Raw Vegan Date Squares that I spotted from Karen. They seemed like the perfect treat that I could whip up in minutes, no oven required.  I was a bit worried that they wouldn’t turn out, but I was soooooo happy with the outcome!

I’m not sure if I will ever go back to ‘normal’ date squares after trying this simple version. I loved them, my friends loved them, and there wasn’t a crumb to be found after breakfast. I’d say they went off pretty well!

IMG 3494   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Adapted from KB Blissologist.

print this recipe!

Crust:

• 1.5 cups whole raw almonds
  • 1.5 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 10 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil

Date filling:

• 25 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped (~2.5 cups)
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Line a square pan (I used 8in x 8 in) with two pieces of parchment paper going opposite ways. In a food processor, process the almond, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms. Now add in the dates and process until crumbly again. Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. You can add a tiny bit more oil if the dough is too dry. I didn’t need to though! Remove from processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later, and press the rest of the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.

2. Grab your pitted and roughly chopped dates and water and process in the food processor until a paste forms. You will have to stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often. You can add a tiny bit more water if needed, but you want the paste quite thick. Scoop out the date mixture onto the crust and gently spread with the back of a wet spatula until even.

3. Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside and gently press down with fingers. Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Cut into squares and serve. Store in the fridge or freezer.

IMG 3521   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

I am happy to report that these were enjoyed by all and there were no awkward moments during the potluck. Love that.

IMG 3537   5 Ingredient No Bake Vegan Date Squares

Have a great Monday!

Mimi (Gingersnaps) March 28, 2011

These look awesome! I love that there are no extra sugars except from the dates. By any chance would this recipe work with figs?

mike March 28, 2011

Made these for the granddaughters and they loved them. Delicious, healthy and there were not any left at the end of the visit.
————-
Thanks and Regards
Mike

blenders and food processors

Richelle March 28, 2011

Mmmm, I have been thinking about date squares lately, which is odd because I’ve only ever tried them once but I’ve developed a love for dates. These look great! I can’t wait to try them out.

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 28, 2011

I’m sure these were a big hit! They look fantastic.

Steph March 28, 2011

Thank you, Angela — I made these today for my date-loving hubby and they are lovely. One caveat is that my dates were quite soft, so the date paste was a bit too liquid — even though I used less than the full 1/2 c water. Therefore I would advise adjusting the amount of water based on how soft your dates are (we’re talking FOODSTUFFS, people, not romance!): if you have nice plump Medjools, try 1/3 c water first; if you’re using the oat-flour-coated date pieces (which tend to be quite hard, in my experience), you may try soaking them first and then cautiously adding water for the paste. Also, instead of the coconut oil I used melted butter (yes, un-veganizing) and it worked really nicely; melted Earth Balance would probably work well also. Thanks again — your blog is the sunniest, most useful and inspiring blog I’ve ever encountered. Reading your posts is like opening the shutters to a blue sky!

Hannah March 28, 2011

WOOT! I got a jar of virgin coconut oil for Christmas and have barely touched it, I adore oats and nuts and dates, so WOOOOOOT!

Moni'sMeals March 28, 2011

my style of baking girlfriend!

Heather March 28, 2011

I just made these and they are delicious! Thank you!! Can’t wait for breakfast :)

Caitlin March 28, 2011

I made these as soon as I saw em… been looking for a vegan date square recipe, and these were sooo good. Also made those blueberry muffins from the other day, delish. :)

Alex March 29, 2011

As a date junkie I am helpless to resist this recipe! Thank you for sharing, I will make and blog about them!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 29, 2011

These date squares look great! Perfect sweet recipe for me because I have eliminated all added sugars from my diet for Lent :) I only have Deglet Noor dates, hopefully those will work??

Michelle {Minding our Peas and Carrots} March 29, 2011

These look so yummy and easy!! I wonder what other fruit I could use in them…

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes March 29, 2011

These looks so good!

Get Skinny, Go Vegan. March 29, 2011

looks like a super pick for a pot luck. I NEVER know what to bring. I always feel like it is an audition of vegan food! And now I eat so “weird” its worse!!!
Love the addition of coconut oil.

Payal March 29, 2011

Hello,

I noticed you mentioned these will last on a 3 hour roadtrip. Do you have any other no bakes recipes that may last throughout a work day? I have a fridge but no freezer

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 29, 2011

I would check out my recipes page for ideas! :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 29, 2011

Awwwwhhhhh!

Paije March 29, 2011

Date squares are my faaavorite thing my mom makes and by far my favorite dessert. I think she calls it matrimonial cake though?? Whateves, still delicious!! How love how you healthify all my favorite recipes :)

Amber K March 29, 2011

Made them today. Attempting not to eat the entire pan. WOW!!!

Shumi March 29, 2011

Hi Angela,
These look awesome & i cant wait to make them this wknd in my new food processor! In preparation, can you please explain what you mean by “melt the coconut oil” oil in the recipe? Does that just mean heat it up on the stove? I’ve never bought or used coconut oil before so apologies if this is a dumb question! Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 30, 2011

yup! I just melt it in the microwave for about 10-20 secs. :)

Veronica March 30, 2011

Saved!

Deborah Fisher March 30, 2011

Hi Angela!!

These are great! Check out my blog, as I posted this to share as well ;)

Thank-you!!

Love&hope March 30, 2011

Those look sooooo yummy can’t wait to try them out!

Ruth March 31, 2011

Yum! I bet these would taste great with pecans instead of almonds too!

Cathi March 31, 2011

Any recommendation on where/a brand of dates that are affordable? The medjool at my local store is about $8 for a pretty small container. Likely not enough for one recipe. Not conducive to sharing :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

I would try buying them from a bulk food store :) I know Bulk barn has them

Alyson @ Runner's Gut April 1, 2011

Hi Angela! How about this April Ontario weather?.. not impressed! These squares look fantastic! I have one question though.. I find whenever I try to process raw almonds in my food proccessor (baby Cuisinart) it takes soo long and I almost catch the thing on fire! Is there anyway to make the almonds more “processable” without taking away from the recipe?

Happy April 1st :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 1, 2011

hmm im not really sure…maybe try chopping them before processing?

KB April 2, 2011

Thanks for sharing the recipe, Angela! This is one of my favorite recipes, too. Hey, did you know that I was born and raised in Milton???? xoxoxo kb.

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2011

small world :)

Mari April 3, 2011

WOW! I had a bunch of Deglet Noor dates to use up, and no idea what to do with them. This recipe is a keeper! My husband and hard to please 2-year-old enjoyed these yummy little squares! I used cashews for the crust, because I didn’t have almonds, but it worked just fine. I’m looking forward to trying it with almonds next time. Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2011

That’s great Mari!

Victoria April 3, 2011

It’s great to find a recipe, and discover that I actually have all the ingredients. I’m making these tonight! Can you tell me what size pan you made these in?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 3, 2011

8 inch square pan…enjoy!

Marie April 4, 2011

Angela – I made these today. I didn’t have enough almonds, so I used cashews as well. They are delicious and my 17 month old son LOVES them. Thank you!

Debbie Loveless April 5, 2011

I just made these with figs instead of dates for the filling… they were SO GOOD! thanks for the recipe, I was able to quelch the sweet craving and the Fig Newton craving in one swoop without messing with my Gluten free, Sugar free life!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 5, 2011

figs are such a great idea!!!!

Whitney April 5, 2011

These are fantastic, Angela! Thanks for sharing such a simple, delicious recipe. I just bought my FIRST 2 lbs of Medjool dates this weekend, and was longing for an easy yummy way to use them; made these squares last night! Done in 10 minutes- YUM!

I have been making a lot of your wonderful recipes, and have added several of them to SparkRecipes for nutrition info, if you’re interested in knowing or sharing. I track a lot of my food on Spark, so I like to have my favorite snack recipes (a lot of yours!) entered into the database to track. Here’s the link to this recipe with nutrition info:

Abby White April 5, 2011

Angela:

I made these amazing squares yesterday and can’t even express how amazing they are. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I love your blog and love all the recipes you come up. Thank you.
Abby

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2011

Im glad you like them Abby!

Kaylee April 7, 2011

Dear Angela,
This is the first time I am posting something on your blog, but I have been an avid follower ever since one of my friends gave me your website.
I made the date squares (among many many other things–all more than successful), and I just want to say THANK YOU for an amazing recipe. Dates are one of my favorite things in desserts (next to chocolate and peanut butter), and I’m so grateful to have a simple, whole-foods dessert or breakfast option that includes them!
I look forward to your blog posts every morning–it’s a great way to start my day on the right mindset, keeping food and exercise as a healthy and positive aspect of my life :) so, thanks, ultimately, for that as well!
-Kaylee

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 7, 2011

Hey Kaylee! Im so glad you enjoyed them! I think they are one of my favourite treats :) Thanks for your kind words!

Andrea Fleck April 7, 2011

We are a nut free home due to allergies, so I whipped these up using raw pumpkin seeds with sweet success! Thanks for the recipe– my kids also have allergies to eggs and dairy so your vegan recipes have been very helpful to me!

Jen Hopper April 8, 2011

I made these last night and they are AMAZING!! They were perfect because I had a friend over who is allergic to dairy, gluten and soy. (I used GF Oats). Anyways, thank you for all of the wonderful healthy recipes!!

Hats @ See How She Runs April 8, 2011

These sound fab! I’m definitely going to make them when I next need to take a treat to a party. I usually opt for brownies but I think it’s time for a change – plus my brownies seem to be failing lately, and I can’t work out why :(

Callie April 12, 2011

These are amazing, and so easy to make. :)
They almost reminded my of a pie. I had to put them back in the refrigerator before I ate the whole pan.
Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Amy April 14, 2011

Hi Ang,

I have been reading your blog for a few months and I LOVE IT! I have made at least a couple dozen of your recipes and have fallen in love with each and every one of them! I made these today (put them in muffin tins, which worked perfectly) and they are delish! I am enjoying one as we speak :) Date squares have always been one of my fav. desserts and this recipe is one for the books!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Melissa G April 26, 2011

Hi Angela! These look amazing and I’m going to make them for a potluck this weekend. I just have one question. It looks like there is 3/4 of the almond/date mixture on the bottom and 1/4 sprinkled on top. Although the recipe says to do the opposite. Which is correct? Thanks so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 27, 2011

Hey! The directions say to reserve 3/4 cup of the mixture to sprinkle on top. The rest is used for the bottom crust. Hope that helps!

Jennifer S April 10, 2012

I made these last night and YUM!!!! I couldn’t keep my hands off of them so I ended up bringing them to work to share so I wouldn’t eat the whole pan. Thanks for sharing this super tasty recipe! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 11, 2012

Glad to hear that Jennifer!

Page 3 of 5«12345»