Weekend Inspiration

IMG 72631   Weekend Inspiration

I can’t think of a better way to kick off the weekend than by watching this Stanford Commencement speech by Steve Jobs in 2005. If you haven’t seen this video, I highly recommend it!

Even if you have seen it, it is worth another watch through. :)

Some of my favourite quotes from the speech:

On Connecting the dots:

“You can’t connect the dots looking forward, you can only connect them looking backwards, so you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something- your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever because believing that the dots will connect down the road will give you the confidence to follow your heart, even when it leads you off the well worn path. That will make all the difference.”

On Love and Loss:

“I’m pretty sure none of this would have happened if I hadn’t been fired from Apple. It was awful tasting medicine, but I guess the patient needed it. Sometimes life hits you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith. I’m convinced that the only thing that kept me going was that I loved what I did. You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don’t settle.”

On Death:

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

“Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) March 25, 2011

What a thought-provoking, from-the-heart speech! Steve Jobs is one of the most fascinating and brilliant people of our time. Thank you for sharing this! :)

Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two March 25, 2011

So encouraging…thank you for sharing!

Katie @ Nourishing Flourishing March 25, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing this. I think it is important to remember (as morbid as it seems) that we ALL will be dead “soon.” It’s just a matter of time for each of us… If that doesn’t give you a kick in the pants to live life now and to live it well, I don’t know what will!

Sam @ the neurotic yogini March 25, 2011

wonderful quotes! so right on! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 25, 2011

I have always loved this speech. Have you watched Randy Pausch’s Last Lecture? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji5_MqicxSo

Both are chill-inciding, awe-inspiring speeches.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2011

yes! Love that one too!

Alaina March 25, 2011

I was definitely brought to tears watching his lecture. There was a lot going on in my life and some of what he talked about really hit home for me. I’ll have to watch the Steve Jobs speech too.

Bronwyn March 25, 2011

Wow. That’s a great speech; so heart felt. I’m sort of obsessed with great speeches these days. I’m all about the TED talks. It’s such a good reminder; to follow your heart because everything else is secondary.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 25, 2011

i just discovered TED not too long ago…so fun!

Lesley Lifting Life March 25, 2011

Awesome!

kate@ahealthypassion March 25, 2011

Thank you for sharing, so inspirational!

Stephanie @ LiveCookLove March 25, 2011

I work in the corporate Apple offices and this makes me happy :)

Shanna, Like Banana March 25, 2011

Oh so true…

I particularly like the analogy to connecting the dots. We do have to trust that this path we’re on will all make sense in the end.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 25, 2011

I have never seen this video before but it is so true, and the part that you highlighted about love and loss is so incredibly applicable to my life right now. Thanks for the dose of inspiration Ange, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon March 25, 2011

i saw this about a month or two ago. truly inspiring. life recently HAS hit me over the head with a brick (diagnosed with bipolar disorder), but this made me feel better.

i want to wake up feeling as inspired as when i first saw this, every day.

Heidi @ Food Doodles March 25, 2011

So inspiring! I love the connecting the dots analogy. I always always think of that. When something bad happens, yes it’s bad at the time, but looking back it will be a good thing because it will take me in another direction with new opportunities. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Shira March 25, 2011

i love this…very inspiring! don’t be trapped by dogma–living with the results of other peoples thinking.. great concept!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day March 25, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing this. I’m in the middle of making some career decisions. Big ones. I’m so very tired of my unfulfilling office job. I have all the signs that it isn’t right for me, but I’m scared to take that next step. I don’t know what I want next. Hearing these words are just one additional step in helping me move forward…

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} March 25, 2011

Love this–thanks for sharing.

Holly @ The Runny Egg March 25, 2011

Thanks for sharing this Angela!

My favorite part: “Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.”

Baking 'n' Books March 25, 2011

Yeah that’s exactly what struck me.

Fear of other’s opinions and them wondering who the heck am I – and that I can’t do it…that is a huge one for me.

I also just love the resiliency in “Have Faith” – and “Don’t Settle”.

DON’T SETTLE B&B…;) (need to actually believe it though)

Sophia @ Raven Waves March 25, 2011

We watched this in one of my final courses in college. Such a great speech. Steve Jobs is a genius, and really inspiring!

Geosomin March 25, 2011

I’ve had that last paragraph of his speech on my wall for years to remind me of what matters.
Thanks for the reminder :)

Roz March 25, 2011

Wonderful video! Thanks for sharing! Have a great weekend.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) March 25, 2011

Very powerful and VERY true. That is one smart man.

Christina March 25, 2011

What a great speech he did, lovely post :)

Christina March 25, 2011

What a great speech he did, lovely post :)

Ashley March 25, 2011

Such powerful words. It truly is an inspiration– I’ve been guilty for so long of living up to people’s expectations and not following my own heart or intuition. Truly brilliant!

Bridget March 25, 2011

What a great speech! I really needed that this afternoon :)

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit March 25, 2011

Thanks Angela, I’ve never seen this! I’m so inspired :) Great way to start the weekend.

Moni'sMeals March 25, 2011

I just loved this. Thanks as always Angela!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life March 25, 2011

Thank you for the inspiration! It was very much needed and appreciated today. :)

Natalie March 25, 2011

one night when i was feeling really down, my mom sent me this video and insisted that i watch it. i t was sooo surprisingly refreshing and encouraging. glad you posted it! have a great weekend =)

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 25, 2011

He’s right- remembering what is TRULY important is….so important ;) thanks!

Leanne March 25, 2011

I’m at work & therefore cannot watch to the video yet… but just reading those paragraphs quoting what he says touched me.

I love the idea about remembering you’ll be dead soon (as morbid as that sounds!)… it really puts things in perspective!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) March 25, 2011

Oh what a fabulous speech! I loved the last paragraph about living someone else’s life, not being trapped by dogma, try to find your own voice and listen to your own intuition….YES!!! That’s how I have always tried to live my life. I feel sometimes like I am walking up a very steep hill, against the wind, and with the rain at my face…not always following along to the beat of everyone else’s’ drummer is sometimes VERY hard..but…I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Good to know Steve Jobs wouldn’t either :)

Great video post, Angela! And I saw all kinds of your yummy food on FG yesterday and the day before. Congrats :)

barefoot and frolicking March 25, 2011

What a coincidence – I recently showed this clip to a class I teach (because Steve Jobs references Stewart Brand who published The Whole Earth Catalog in the late 1960s and early 1970s – we were discussing the influence of the catalog on Apple Computers) “stay hungry, stay foolish” :) What words of wisdom! – thanks for sharing Angela, and have a great weekend!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 25, 2011

Love love LOVE these quotes!

Lauren March 25, 2011

That was fantastic! Very timely as well…I’m an undergrad and in a time in my life where I am questioning everything…who I am, who I want to be, what MY goals are, who am I doing this for. This reaffirms that I must always listen to MY heart. Thanks for posting!

Maria March 25, 2011

This was a really great speech! Thanks for posting this. Happy Friday!

Theresa OBrien March 25, 2011

I love this speech. My Dad had sent this to me during my senior year of college in 2007 and I’ve gone back to it many times. Always inspirational!

Emma (Namaste Everyday) March 25, 2011

I think it’s so important to remember to do what you love so that you are always loving what you do. That is something I hope I will never forget :)

Jen March 25, 2011

What Steve Jobs says is so true! Thanks for sharing this video with us :)

Maris (In Good Taste) March 25, 2011

Thanks for sharing this inspiring speech. I am going to share this with my brother as well.

Page 1 of 212»