Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2385   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I have been dying to add butternut squash into my Mac ‘n Cheeze recipe ever since I featured Lou’s Macaroni Un-Cheese recipe in my Recipe Link Love last week. Butternut squash pureed into macaroni and cheese just sounds like a match made in heaven, doesn’t it? It is also a fun way to sneak in another veggie.

IMG 2366   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I also happen to love Butternut Squash, but I always forget to buy it at the grocery store, so this was a great reminder to buy one.

IMG 2321   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

I ended up playing around with my original cheese sauce recipe and I made two versions, the second one I will be sharing with you today.

IMG 2323   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first thing you do is peel and chop half of a Butternut Squash. Place it into a bowl and add a teaspoon of olive oil and some salt ‘n pepa!

IMG 2326   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Roast in the oven for 40 minutes at 425F, flipping once half way through baking. You can do this ahead of time if preferred.

IMG 2328   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Buttery squashy deliciousness!

While the squash is roasting, make your ‘cheeze sauce’ in the food processor. I adapted my original recipe quite a bit and I was really happy with the result. This cheeze sauce is also easier to make than the other version which is always nice.

Now, add the roasted squash into the cheeze sauce and process until smooth. It makes about 3.5 cups of sauce.

IMG 2334   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Cook your desired pasta. I used a full bag (~450 grams or 4.5 cups dry pasta) of Brown Rice Penne for the casserole option.

IMG 2329   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Drain the pasta and add in the cheese sauce. Depending on how much sauce you want, you might not use it all. I also added some peas and you can get creative with any kinds of mix-ins you want. Broccoli is also fantastic. You can also add a bit of non-dairy milk if the sauce thickens up too much.

IMG 2337   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

At this point you can enjoy your pasta a couple ways:

1) Heat the mixture in the pot and serve immediately.

2) Pour the mixture into a casserole dish, top with breadcrumbs, and bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.

For my first trial, I baked it in the oven and for the second trial I enjoyed it heated up straight from the pot without baking. I think I like it straight from the pot because it isn’t as thick and heavy as the casserole.

IMG 2343   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If baking in the oven, add on your breadcrumbs.

IMG 2345   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

After, 20-25 minutes you have a fun B’nut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze that will serve 3-4 people for a main course.

IMG 2360   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

If you serve it straight from the pot, the great thing is that you can make only as much as you want. If you only want 1 serving of pasta, you can add as much sauce as you need and then store the rest in the fridge. I’m not sure how long the sauce keeps in the fridge (3-4 days would be my guess), but I’m sure the sauce recipe can also be halved too!

IMG 2365   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

IMG 2368   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The first trial I made came out just OK (I think I used too much lemon juice and cashews), but Eric and I both enjoyed the second trial! You can’t really detect the butternut squash, but it does provide a nice flavour overall and I love getting in another vegetable. For the second trial, I reduced the lemon, cut the cashews in half, and adjusted the rest of my cheeze sauce ingredients.

I encourage you to adjust the sauce to your own taste buds because I find that vegan cheeze sauces are such a ‘personal preference’ kinda thing!

IMG 2371   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

The casserole is fun, but I think for simplicity sake, I prefer heating it up in a pot and enjoying it immediately. I’m an instant gratification kinda gal when it comes to pasta.

Reno Talk

Thank you for your nice comments and suggestions on my home reno before and after post. :) A couple readers suggested that the living room would look great with Navy paint and I think that is a lovely idea! Navy and orange go together really nicely. I talked to Eric about it and he loved the idea too. I think we might use Navy walls with white trim for the living room. I have a feeling it might be tough to pick a shade of navy though. If anyone out there has a shade of navy paint they enjoy, I would love your suggestions!

Here are a few pictures I found for inspiration:

433a847f7f16   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[Image Source]

885 06a0004 rebalance   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

Meg Braff navy blue family room   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

We are also considering leaving the crown molding intact and painting over it + shaving the popcorn. We’ll have to see how it goes!

IMG 9783   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

Oh, and I fell in love this this colour for our bathroom…it is called Lavender Lace by Para Paint.

para paint lavender lace p5099 24   Butternut Squash Mac ‘n Cheeze: Two Ways

[image source]

I love girly looking bathrooms.  I haven’t mentioned this paint idea to Eric yet…It might have to be one of those ‘Surprise! Look what I did while you were at work today!’ kinda jobs. ;)

PS- I am going through cupcake withdrawal today.

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food March 10, 2011

What an amazing idea for mac n’ cheese!!!
I was also thinking a purple for our bathroom! It’s such a relaxing shade!

Katie March 10, 2011

I just bought nutritional yeast for the first time!! Can’t wait to try it!

Also, I have left you several pestering comments, but I am still dying to get the s’mores cake in jar recipe!! Looved the one you did post, but s’mores are definitely my favorite dessert

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I actually LOST that recipe and I tried to replicate it with a few failed attempts. :(

Katie March 10, 2011

Oh no!! haha, well thanks for letting me know….maybe I’ll attempt to replicate it one day once I become a bit better at veganizing recipes. Your blog is wonderful by the way! Thank you so much for sharing your amazing ideas!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Hopefully some day I can make it again!! I miss it dearly…

Ashley March 10, 2011

That is SO funny…I was looking for your cake in a jar recipes and only found the apple one…haha

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is March 10, 2011

OH man. I would LOVE this.

Julie @ Shining From Within March 10, 2011

Mmmm! You could pretty much puree any veggie and stick it in this mac ‘n cheeze (maybe pumpkin?). I love that purple color it’s so pretty.
I’m in love with all things girly, especially in a bathoom where you have a big ‘ol bathtub and can light candles and just relax.
Please don’t tell me that’s your bathroom. I will be green with envy.

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I stole that pic from the website. ;)

I keep wondering how sweet potato puree would taste in this too!

faith @ lovelyascharged March 10, 2011

Ange, you literally just opened up a whole new world for me. I’m thinking a mexican mac and cheese done with calabaza squash? Squash + mac is absolutely ingenious.

Even though I am not completely vegan, I do try to eat as few animal products as possible. Recipes like these remind me that eating what’s good for my body and the planet doesn’t have to mean bowl after bowl of raw veggies and brown rice – love the innovation!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Mexican mac n cheese is genius!! Let me know if you make it, I would love to see what you come up with.

Allison @ Food For Healing March 10, 2011

our bathroom is yellow, good choice? sort of, its kind of boring now, might need a change again, but i don’t think i could do purple, i would feel like my grandma or something.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh March 10, 2011

Butternut squash sounds amazing in Mac n cheese! Any way to add more veggies I am in! Oh and I love that bathroom! If my husband didn’t mind, we would have the most frilly Girly house…but he definitely minds hahah

kate@ahealthypassion March 10, 2011

Ohh this mac and cheese looks amazing, I LOVE butternut squash in mac and cheese but have never tried it vegan, definitely will be making it this weekend, luckily I have everything on hand :) you are amazing!

kate@ahealthypassion March 10, 2011

I really like guys night out im not sure if its too dark

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn March 10, 2011

I love!! I have been craving mac and cheese lately, you are actually a mind reader it’s fine.

Shanna March 10, 2011

Navy is a brilliant idea!

I just tried nutritional yeast for the first time last week and quite like it! Thanks for introducing us to it =)

Bridget March 10, 2011

Yum! I heart squash, but i’d never think of adding it to mac n cheese. Love the idea!

That is a beautiful colour for your bathroom. Very calming :)

I’m sending you the best wishes in overcoming your cupcake withdrawl. YOU CAN DO IT haha :P

Justeen @ Blissful Baking March 10, 2011

This mac ‘n cheese looks scrumptious!! I loveee butternut squash!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats March 10, 2011

Love this variation on vegan mac and cheese!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty March 10, 2011

Mmmm… I’ve been using butternut squash in my mac and cheese for awhile (your recipe!) It’s SO good and makes it extra creamy! I cook up a whole squash and then freeze it individually chopped. Then when I’m cooking my noodles, I toss in some pieces until warm and then pop them into the blender!

Ekk.. i hope that make sense!!

Camille March 10, 2011

Your Mac and Cheese recipes always look incredible! *Drool*

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman March 10, 2011

This recipe sounds so so good.

And I think you’re right: surprise is best whenever pink or purple are involved. ;)

Heather @ Side of Sneakers March 10, 2011

I love your blue baking dish + green placement –> gorgeous photos!!!!

[And the recipe sounds delish too of course ;)]

Gen March 10, 2011

You take the BEST food pictures….”sigh” wish we had butternut squash here….=( or any yellow squash for that matter….
Anyway, that color that you like for your bathroom just so happens to be my FAVORITE color ever! its gorgeous!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA March 10, 2011

Oh this looks sooooo good. I want to try it on zucchini pasta!

Caroline March 10, 2011

YUM!!! This looks soooo good. Do you happen to know the nutritional stats of it?

Thanks! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

Nope, sorry!

irmhild September 30, 2013

for nutritional values try ‘myfitnesspal.com’ just enter all the ingredients and adjust the amounts, either as a meal or a recipe, and it should tell you! but i have to say, I tried this sauce tonight, and i wouldn’t care how many calories it has! It was delicious and it’s all good calories! First attempt at a vegan cheesy sauce, impressed!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 10, 2011

This recipe sounds AMAZING Ange! I am not a big cheese fan – despite not being vegan – and I think butternut squash is a fabulous addition! Love the bathroom colour too!

Nicole @ Fresh & Fit March 10, 2011

This looks incredible! I have made the cauliflower mac ‘n’ cheese before and love it! I can’t wait to try this! I’ll have to add butternut squash to my shopping list! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I haven’t tried it with cauliflower before! Sounds fun. Do you just cook it and then puree it, similar to the squash?

Nicole @ Fresh and Fit March 11, 2011

Nope, I chop the cauliflower up real small and cook it with the macaroni. Its a good way to trick my fiance into eating more veggies. He can’t tell the difference. :)

Andrea B. @ Vegvacious March 10, 2011

I spied this recipe on your Recipe Link the other day

I love butternut squash & Mac N Cheese so this recipe is definitely for me.

Navy is a great idea for your living room – can’t wait to see if you decide to go with it! I love dark colours with white trim.

Namaste Gurl March 10, 2011

This looks naughty, but yet oh so amazing. I’d love to make this sometime soon- butternut squash alfredo looks right up my alley! You are one creative chica :)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living March 10, 2011

I’ve made both sweet potato and pumpkin versions of mac & cheese (non-vegan), and a butternut squash version has been on my list for a while now. I haven’t loved vegan mac & cheeses that I’ve tried in the past, but this one looks fantastic! I will definitely try this out on a night that my husband has a dinner meeting or is out of town for business – he’s not a squash fan like I am ;).

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 10, 2011

I can’t wait to try sweet potato!

JL Goes Vegan March 10, 2011

I should not read this so close to lunch — I want THIS.

The blue and green combination in your photos is stunning!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 10, 2011

This just blew my mind. I’m putting it on my spreadsheet for next week’s dishes for sure! I think sweet potato would be awesome in it too. You could even swirl in some spinach for a little green!

Have you looked at Pottery Barn’s paint colors? Love their palette and they go on really well.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete March 10, 2011

This looks amazing. We eat your Vegan Alfredo about once per week so this would be a nice way to mix it up a little bit. I recently bought my first tub of Nutritional Yeast and I am in LOVE :)

I think navy paint is a great choice!

Kathleen March 10, 2011

Ooh I love the navy idea for the living room. My favourite shade is the last inspiration picture you posted. I think the first is pretty but awfully dark and could end up making your space look really small. The bathroom colour looks pretty too. I’m excited to see what you end up with! :)

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan March 10, 2011

We painted one wall in our kitchen/dining area a similar color to the navy in the second photo. I loved it. It has since been re-painted a soft yellow because I feel the need to change paint colors quite often.
I’m having serious cravings for the butternut squash mac’n'cheeze now. I need to make some right away! It looks wonderful.

Katy (The Singing Runner) March 10, 2011

Wow! Looks fantastic! :D

Katy (The Singing Runner) March 10, 2011

Wow! Looks fantastic! :D

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe March 10, 2011

Oh man, I love baked mac n’ cheese. Sounds great to use a creamy butternut squash sauce.

Sam (the neurotic yogini) March 10, 2011

Now I have a serious hankering for mac’n'cheeze… :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 10, 2011

This looks fantastic! If you keep the sauce separately, how many servings to you think it makes?

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) March 10, 2011

I am SO making this soon!! I have serious mac’n cheese cravings right now!! :P

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 10, 2011

Mmmm….love the looks of that. It’s been too long since I had butternut!

This is kind of random, but how old is your house? I’m guessing it’s Victorian era? I ask because my parents’ house is from the 1860s, and they’ve considered getting rid of the crown molding ceiling decor in order to install overhead lighting, but we had a guy come look at it and say that those features actually increase the value of the house if they’re original. Just a thought!

zoe (and the beatles) March 10, 2011

yum yum yum! all your pasta recipes leave me so hungry! especially this one :)! love the blue casserole pan, by the way. so cute!

Erin March 10, 2011

This mac n cheese sounds so good! I love the idea of adding butternut squash. I bet a spicy version would be really good too (if you’re into that sort of thing), with jalapenos or roasted poblanos…kinda like a pepperjack sort of flavor?

Roz March 10, 2011

LOVE the idea of pureeing the squash into the sauce. I’ve stirred chunks of squash into my mac and cheese before, and it was good, but I like your idea better. Thanks as always for the stellar recipe.

Page 1 of 512345»