Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

IMG 1948   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Last night as I watched American Idol draw out two long hours of results, I had some time to do some thinking.

I wanted to create a fun Friday breakfast to celebrate the approaching weekend, incorporating fresh sweet potato into my morning oatmeal. I wasn’t in the mood to bake anything or for it to take longer than 10 minutes, so I decided that finely grating the fresh sweet potato into my oatmeal would be a sneaky way to cut down the cooking time that is normally required for such a tater.

IMG 1922   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Oh, and it worked. It worked wonderfully!

And because I was already sneaking in some veggies into my breakfast, I decided that some chocolate was in order to round it out. It’s all about the balance, right?

IMG 1954   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Normally, I am not a fan of overly sweet things in the morning, but I found that just a tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1/2 square of dark chocolate was enough to turn a normal bowl of oatmeal into something quite decadent, while still being nutritious and energizing.

IMG 1937   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

IMG 1926b   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

First, bring the oats, milk, chia seeds, and salt to a low boil and reduce heat to medium. Now stir in the finely grated sweet potato and 1/4 cup of water. Cook on medium, stirring frequently, for a few minutes.

IMG 1931   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Now stir in the cinnamon and cocoa powder, making sure to get out all the clumps!

IMG 1936   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

Chocolaty goodness!

Cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently. Now add in the maple syrup and vanilla and remove from heat. Pour into a bowl and add your desired toppings!

IMG 1947   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

On top: 1/2 square chopped dark chocolate (it got all melty and wonderful!), a few shreds of sweet potato for garnish, and 1 tbsp of granola.

IMG 1958   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

The result is a super chocolaty and decadent-tasting bowl of oatmeal with a ton of volume thanks to the sweet potato. It was just the right amount of sweetness for me, but of course you can always adjust to your own taste buds!

IMG 1967   Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Oatmeal

I’ve seen this blog survey making the rounds so I decided to fill it out myself (I also did this while watching American Idol last night!).

A-Z Survey

A. Age: 27

B. Bed size: King (as of 2011)…can’t believe we waited so long! I think my legs are getting longer from all the stretching I do now.

C. Chore you dislike: Scrubbing tile floors

D. Dogs: growing up- Pepper + Jasmine….RIP!! Both muts, both amazing dogs. I can’t wait to adopt my next one. I’m a huge, huge, huge dog lover. I was never a cat fan until Eric bought Sketchie! Now I love both cats and dogs, but I am still partial to dogs….shhhh.

E. Essential start to your day: Slippers

F. Favorite color: I can’t pick just one so- Blue, Pink, Orange, Green. I love colour!

G. Gold or silver: Gold…I’m old school and it looks best with my skin tone. I prefer silver for house décor though.

H. Height: 5’4.5" (but with my stilettos 5’9"!)

I. Instruments you play(ed): Well, let me just say that my best friend and I were formerly (currently!?) known as the ‘Squeak Sistas’…we rocked that Clarinet throughout school! Squeak!

J. Job title: Business owner/recipe developer/photographer/blogger/dish washer/molly maid.

K. Kids: Just Sketchie and our stuffed animals right now!

L. Live: Gorgeous green & hilly countryside…aka: The Sticks. We have 1 traffic light. Seriously. We did the big city thing for a couple years and did not enjoy the traffic headaches, pollution, and congestion.

M. Mom’s name: OSGMOM….Or Lori.

N. Nicknames: Dawn (middle name), Angie/Ange, Granola (one of my friends started calling me this when I went vegan! ha), Martha, shots, Lulu, Lil Gal, Skirts, Lids.

O. Overnight hospital stays: None yet…*knocks on wood*

P. Pet peeves: Stinky feet, finding another person’s hair in a hotel bathroom, pesticides on produce, finding used bandaids on the ground/swimming pool, when post office loses my parcels, Tigerblood, thinking I have a food in the fridge and finding out it is GONE!

Q. Quote from a movie: ‘You guys look like a bunch of ice cream cones!’ (Any guesses?)

R. Righty or lefty: Righty, but I used to try to teach myself how to be ambidextrous when I was young. no such luck.

S. Siblings: Sister Kristi, half-sis and half-bro: Kerrie and Chris, Step sis and step bro: Jennifer and Michael.

T. Time you wake up: Between 7-7:30am. Bedtime is 11:30-12:00 (we are both night owls and LOVE to stay up late, especially on weekends!).

U. Underwear: Oh I didn’t think this was that kind of questionnaire!

V. Vegetables you don’t like: Chard. That is the only one I can think of, so I guess I’m doing good!

W. What makes you run late: Traffic, Blogging, unexpected clothing freak-outs. I’m usually early though and hate to be late.

X. X-rays you’ve had: Teeth, pelvic area (when I had pelvic strain from running in 2009), Head (I fell on the ice and hit my head in 2008…outcome still unclear!).

Y. Yummy food you make: I’m really loving my spin-off oatmeals lately.

Z. Zoo animal favorites: The animals that are released back into the wild!

PS- My current American Idol Favs are: Paul, Pia, Haley, and Casey! What about you?

If you’d like, copy and paste this survey below and have a go at it! I love finding out about you guys.

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) March 4, 2011

I absolutely love your blog and never am I dissappointed with your fabulous creations :) This looks so good!

Baking 'n' Books March 4, 2011

Ah – it is so nice to read that there is someone else who actually stays up late…and gets up early. Although I’m up at 6. Boo :(

3 inch stilettos?!!! Yikes!

Oatmeal looks spectacular. I put squash -like pumpkin in mine alot so I guess that’s kind of similar?

Lou March 4, 2011

ooooh legend of the fall! :)

A-Z Survey

A. Age: 15

B. Bed size: idk… but fairly small :P

C. Chore you dislike: i wouldn’t know yet :D

D. Dogs: none…. but hopefully someday!

E. Essential start to your day: Slippers and bathroom

F. Favorite color: red and black

G. Gold or silver: silver even though my parents always tell me that gold is more valuable.

H. Height: 5’4.5″ (but with my stilettos 5’9″!)

I. Instruments you play(ed): piano and the guitar.

J. Job title: student :P

K. Kids: i’ll stop being one myself first…

L. Live: in a busy city, Hong Kong. Would rather go back to France but..

M. Mom’s name: May. She was born on May.

N. Nicknames: my name is too short for one :P

O. Overnight hospital stays: nope

P. Pet peeves: people crackling their knuckles, the image of someone squeezing a bottle of honey into their mouth, really bad singing, or when my dad starts to sing with his guitar….shh

Q. Quote from a movie: ”ITS SO FLUFFY I’M GONNA DIE”

R. Righty or lefty: Righty though my sister is a lefty :)

S. Siblings: One younger sister who is a head taller than me, Megan. One older half sister in France and one old half brother in uni in england.

T. Time you wake up: For school….7. Weekend.. i WISH to wake up at 9 but always end up waking up at 8 :(

U. Underwear: hahaha ooooh babeh getting a little personal i see.

V. Vegetables you don’t like: eggplant..well i like it in ratatouille… i guess i like all kinds then.oh wait no i don’t like beet root!

W. What makes you run late: Finding something nicer to wear…and doing business in the bathroom ahhaha sorry.

X. X-rays you’ve had: brain. and my legs when they thought one of my leg was longer than the other… but i was still growing then so don’t freak out the lil girl.

Y. Yummy food you make: madeleines! chinese egg tarts! i swear they were better than the one in the bakery.

Z. Zoo animal favorites: The ones that are quiet.

PS- My current American Idol Favs are: is James Durbin in..? But Adam Lambert will always be my favouriteee <3

Lou March 4, 2011

oops missed one..
height: short short short.

Mel March 4, 2011

Could I sub carob powder for cocoa powder? I am so excited to try this!!!

Camille March 4, 2011

Oh my gosh, that is one of the greatest looking recipes I have ever seen!

stacey-healthylife March 4, 2011

Mmmmm, that looks amazing. I never think of grating things like carrots or sweet potatoes.

Emma March 4, 2011

omg I can’t wait to try this! I was obsessed with your carrot cake oatmeal for a while so I’m sure I’ll go crazy for this too! although i do need to buy a shredder, oh poor college student, me…

Gail March 4, 2011

I love surveys – they’re always so fun and you learn so much about people:
A. Age: 44
B. Bed size: Queen
C. Chore you dislike: Cleaning the toilet (blech!)
D. Dogs: 3 bull terriers: Roz, Ellie and Boomer. We used to have a springer spaniel mix – SynJyn – I miss him :0(
E. Essential start to your day: fresh juiced veggie juice – usually with carrots, celery, parsley, lettuce, ginger and apple. I’d use kale or collard greens, but I shouldn’t eat those raw because of my thyroid.
F. Favorite color: Blue
G. Gold or silver: That’s hard to say, I’ve got a lot of both!
H. Height: 5’4″ (interestingly, I used to measure 5′ 3 3/4″, but recently I measure 5′ 4 1/4″. I attribute it to better posture from yoga.
I. Instruments you play(ed): Nada.
J. Job title: Systems Engineer
K. Kids: none, just my fourlegged tailed babies.
L. Live: Suburb of Denver called Highlands Ranch in Colorado
M. Mom’s name: Mary
N. Nicknames: Honey (from my husband), Goo, Goober
O. Overnight hospital stays: Yes, twice. Once when I was five and slipped on ice and got a concussion, and when I was twenty I fell skiing, tore up my knee and had to have reconstructive surgery.
P. Pet peeves: Eating with your mouth open, and making that smacking sound.
Q. Quote from a movie: “I feel like I’m babysitting but not getting paid” (Goonies), “I’m not sure your friend cares about anything, or anyone.” “I care” (Star Wars)
R. Righty or lefty: Righty
S. Siblings: 3 sisters: Suzanne (estranged), Sharon and Janet.
T. Time you wake up: Varies. I’m a shift worker, so sometimes I get up at 3:50am, other times around 2pm, and on days off between 8-10am.
U. Underwear: No one’s business but mine and my husbands ;0)
V. Vegetables you don’t like: Any squash other than pumpkin, spinach.
W. What makes you run late: My stupid hair won’t cooperate. The dogs won’t cooperate.
X. X-rays you’ve had: Teeth, both knees (I’ve torn both of them up skiing)
Y. Yummy food you make: I’ve turned into quite a foodie. Soups, chilis, those are my specialties.
Z. Zoo animal favorites: I usually get a little depressed for the animals in the zoo. But, my favorites usually are the wild cats.

Zestful Lou March 4, 2011

That sounds like a lot of sweet for the morning!

P.S. I received my shipment of Glo Bars the other day and have been enjoying them immensely! Thanks!!!

Gina March 4, 2011

I love sweet potato oats :)

D. March 4, 2011

I am absolutely making this tomorrow morning before I go to work.

And I LOVE Paul! I think his little awkward dance he does while he sings is so hilarious! And Casey kills it on the stand up bass!

For girls I am for Lauren Alaina all the way!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat March 4, 2011

This recipe is very unique and it sounds delicious!
I think I’ll post the ABC survey on my blog

Annette @ EnjoyYOURHealthyLife March 4, 2011

what an amazing recipe– thanks!!! Love your A-Z’s!

Lori March 4, 2011

A. Age: 33

B. Bed size: King

C. Chore you dislike: Pretty much all of them. The worst? Floors/mopping.

D. Dogs: I have three who I love to pieces.

E. Essential start to your day: Shower

F. Favorite color: cobalt blue

G. Gold or silver: Gold, but I truly like both

H. Height: 5’8

I. Instruments you play(ed): clarinet. some oboe.

J. Job title: Attorney/Business Owner

K. Kids: My pets

L. Live: Every day like it’s your last

M. Mom’s name: Terry

N. Nicknames: Lor, counselor, freak, loser, dork

O. Overnight hospital stays: Zero

P. Pet peeves: Oh…..so many. Let’s choose one. People who drive in the fast lane, slowly.

Q. Quote from a movie: “Let’s ALL go!” (Legally Blonde)
R. Righty or lefty: Righty

S. Siblings: One sister. One stepbrother.

T. Time you wake up: during the week, around 715 AM. Weekends, around 830 AM

U. Underwear: Thongs.

W. What makes you run late: my husband. traffic.

X. X-rays you’ve had: teeth

Y. Yummy food you make: fish tacos

Z. Zoo animal favorites: Monkeys of any sort.

Taylor March 4, 2011

Oh my, this breakfast is one after my own heart.

Jenny March 5, 2011

I love the healthy chocolate recipes.

Cameo March 5, 2011

That looks so delicious, I must try it out for myself…soon! Thanks for the idea!

Hannah March 5, 2011

My regular breakfast is oatbran cooked with soy milk, topped with peanut butter, maple syrup, and a heckuva lot more dark chocolate than 1/2 square ;) S’pose I should squeeze in some veggies sometime…

P.S. I played the clarinet for years. Squeak!

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2011

squeak sista!

Alyneee March 5, 2011

Mmm, just made it for brekkers.

DELISH.DE.LISH.

Cristal March 5, 2011

this looks delicous! Thanks for sharing. This will be on my week menu to try. Today I am going to try butternut squash oatmeal with coconut butter, and tomorrow I was going to try Maca powder/cocoa Oats. Have you ever heard of Maca powder? I stumbled across it the other day in someone’s blog, and I don’t think you have any recipes that include Maca powder. You should look into it, it may be something you want to try =) Let me know if you ever tried it or if you do have recipes that include it was i bought some and need ways to use it up =) have a good weekend angela! I live in Barrie, ON so its pretty close to you, wonder if your getting the same rain i am?? ttyl

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 5, 2011

Hey Cristal! Yes I do use Maca powder on a regular basis. I don’t like the taste but I do enjoy it ‘masked’ in a green monster. I only use about 1/2-1 tsp per smoothie. Hope this helps!

Ange

Richelle March 5, 2011

Great idea putting sweet potato into oatmeal! I must try this.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) March 5, 2011

I am loving Paul on AI, and Lauren Alaina – she is adorable!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner March 5, 2011

After reading this, I think I am going to have oatmeal for lunch too!!!! It sounds amazing! :D

I love that Ice Cream quote! I wish I knew where it was from.

xoxo
Kathleen

Diana @ frontyardfoodie March 5, 2011

Have you ever noticed how gorgeous your readers are? I love seeing all the pretty happy people!

A. Age: 24
B. Bed size: Not sure, either a full or a queen. I think it’s a full and would definitely like a bigger bed some day. Me and the hubs like to sprawl. haha
C. Chore you dislike: cleaning the bathroom! It’s gross!
D. Dogs: I have a cocker spaniel named Lady. We have a love/hate relationship. I love her but usually don’t like her. haha
E. Essential start to your day: Seeing my little baby’s smile. It is priceless.
F. Favorite color: Green, like the baby leaf color.
G. Gold or silver: Silver
H. Height: 5’5″ Average. Average height, average weight, and everything!
I. Instruments you play(ed): violin and piano. I don’t have a piano now but plan to get one when we move. I used to play the violin all the time but it’s been too long. Being a mom takes a lot of time!
J. Job title: Just got hire as a stay at home mom! Quit my job as an executive assistant at an international corporation
K. Kids: I have a little six month old! He’s so much fun and I can’t believe how much I love being a mom.
L. Live: In KC, MO with my hubs.
M. Mom’s name: Weird question! My mom’s name is Catherine.
N. Nicknames: Banana, D, Princess Di…..
O. Overnight hospital stays: Just one, for when my baby was born!
P. Pet peeves: people who walk lethargically in store isles. It happens at walmart and that is one reason why I never go there.
Q. Quote from a movie: “There *was* nothing wrong with it… until I was about twelve years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys. ” Micheal Bolton Office Space.
R. Righty or lefty: Righty.
S. Siblings: 7 kids in my fam, five girls, two boys and I’m the third kid from the top.
T. Time you wake up: 7:30 because I have a little alarm clock named Avery who coos that time every day.
U. Underwear: I like it boycut baby.
V. Vegetables you don’t like: mushrooms, I didn’t like celery or green bell peppers until this week. I HATE okra too.
W. What makes you run late: making sure I have everything I need. Having a baby complicates that but even before the baby I’d forget my cellphone or something!
X. X-rays you’ve had: dental, ankle, foot, well, pretty much everything!
Y. Yummy food you make: hummus, pizza, my hubby says I make a wicked hot wing but I don’t eat meat haha, pumpking pie and muffins!
Z. Zoo animal favorites: I’m not really much of a zoo fan because it’s sad to see the animals cooped up but I love watching the seals swim and play. They’re so graceful underwater and awkward on land.

Tori March 7, 2011

Tigerblood!!! HAHAHA

Sharon March 8, 2011

I read your blog all the time, I don’t know how I missed this one. I got a whole bunch of chard yesterday at my CSA and was hoping you would have some kind of recipes to use it all up in – sadly my search turned up this survey and since you don’t like chard I’m guessing I’m not going to have any luck finding any chard recipes on here ;). Ooooh well, I’m just glad my search turned up this post that I guess I somehow missed because this oatmeal looks SOOO good. I eat oatmeal every morning and I tend to just stick to easy (delicious yet boring) oatmeal. I need to start spicing it up a bit!

melanie March 8, 2011

We had this for breakfast this morning. My toddler kept saying “I don’t want sweet potato in my porridge!” Which I ignored of course because she a)loves sweet potato and b)doesn’t know what she is talking about. I also added half a banana because she was upset that I wasn’t making banana porridge so that was my comprimise. Of course, when breakfast tasted like chocolate pudding she stopped complaining. So thank you so much for this recipe, it was wonderful. I didn’t add the extra chocolate though – I think that sets a bad precedent for a 3-year old’s breakfast (somehow banana porridge just won’t cut it anymore when you can have chocolate porridge!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 8, 2011

haha that is such a cute story! Glad it was enjoyed after all. :)

Lindsey March 10, 2011

Ok, so first of all, I LOVE the recipes that you create. Thank you! and this one is NO exception. As I was making it I was a bit skeptical of the flavors together, but one bite and I was totally won over! I have been craving chocolate all week, and this HIT the spot. I also have to say that I used a left-over half of a baked sweet potato (no toppings) instead of shredded fresh, which worked great since I was in a rush trying to head out the door to work. it worked GREAT@! and tasted wonderful, to the point that I am sharing the recipe around the office. Thank you for creating the things you do and putting them out there for us! I am so glad to follow your blog.
p.s. you inspire me because I’ve had a very similar journey in weight and self-image.

Jessica August 11, 2012

beautiful! looks amazing!! a sweet potato once landed in my morning oatmeal.. and now with chocolate =perfect, like sweet potato brownies!!! thanks Angela!!

Page 3 of 3«123