No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

We ended up getting quite the storm yesterday! One broken shovel and lots of soup and hot tea later, we can feel our limbs once again.

IMG 9384   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Then I tortured myself by looking up tropical vacations on Travel Zoo. I really need to stop doing that to myself.

IMG 9385   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Luckily, there are always Valentine’s Day goodies to look forward to.

IMG 0375   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

If you care to see the rest of my Valentine’s Day recipes you can check out the Recipes page where I have grouped them together near the top. I recently added a Recipe of the Week feature on my Recipes page too.

vdaybanner120th thumb1   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

I actually didn’t plan on making these No Bake Chocolate Macaroons at all.

I was trying to create my own macaroon recipe (baked in the oven) and they turned out very crumbly. Then the wheels got turning and I thought it would be fun to make a macaroon that required no baking (or dehydrating) at all. I have been doing the vegan baking and cooking thing for over a year and a half now and one thing I have discovered is that my recipes are often the result of a flop or unexpected result in the kitchen. I set off to bake one thing, and something else happens…it’s best just to roll with it.

IMG 0364   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

The no-bake spree continues!

IMG 0353   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

They are ready in 5 minutes flat.

IMG 0366   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Gather your 8 ingredients.

IMG 9332   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Substitution questions:

• You can substitute the spelt flour for another kind of flour, but you may need to use less flour because spelt flour saturates more easily (maybe use 1 tbsp less of another kind of flour)
  • You can substitute regular white sugar for brown sugar
  • You can use any kind of milk you prefer (here I used chocolate Almond Milk)
  • You might be able to get away with using a different oil, but the flavour will change…so don’t hate me if you don’t like it!

IMG 0336   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Sift the dry ingredients. Nobody wants a clump of bitter cocoa in their Macaroon. ;)

IMG 0338   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Mix dry + wet.

IMG 0342   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons IMG 0346   No Bake Chocolate MacaroonsIMG 0348   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons IMG 0350   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Roll into balls!

IMG 0352   No Bake Chocolate MacaroonsIMG 0355   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

I loved rolling the Macaroons into coconut to finish them off. You need to press down quite hard for it to stick.

IMG 03641   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

You can also dip them in melted chocolate and roll them into seeds or nuts.

IMG 0370   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

The result is a no-bake chocolate macaroon with a lovely, authentic macaroon flavour. They are soft, so if you prefer some crunch, you could always add in some chopped nuts or crisp rice cereal to your liking.

Eric loved the taste, but he wasn’t crazy about the texture because he thought the brown sugar made the texture a bit ‘sandy’. You could probably prevent this by using regular white sugar or you could try dissolving the brown sugar into the coconut oil in the microwave. Personally, I didn’t mind the ‘sandy’ texture myself.

IMG 0362   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

Store them in the fridge or freezer.

IMG 0379   No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

For the rest of my Valentine’s Day recipes, see here.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious February 3, 2011

these look delicious….macaroons are one of my favourites!! i’m on a kick of veggie quinoa and soups.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 3, 2011

Best of luck to you on your proposal! Yes, large writing tasks are intimidating. I like how you are breaking it down. I hope that helps you!

The meal I have been eating a ton of is a taco salad: romaine, bell pepper, salsa, black beans, refried beans, avocado, black olives. Delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

That sounds deslish!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 3, 2011

Yay – I have all the ingredients for these on-hand! Could you also sub in powdered sugar or even some stevia if the brown sugar is too grainy? I wonder if it won’t be “solid” enough…

I always had that problem writing big papers in school. I found that just starting to write (without worrying about the order) helped me. That way there wasn’t the pressure of “OMG, I need to sit here and think until I have a stellar opener!”

Lately I’ve been on an Indian kick. Can’t get enough garam masala! I think your channa masala is to blame, actually… :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

Powered sugar is something I didn’t think of…it might work, but I’m not sure how much to use because it is so sweet. It would be an experiment I guess!

Maureen PLuthero February 3, 2011

What about just grinding the sugar a bit so it is less sandy?

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 3, 2011

yes that’s actually the best ‘trick’ I know too. do a sort of brainstorm session with yourself, maybe on a big board. allow yourself to write down everything that comes to mind what you want this cookbook to encompass, words, sentences, maybe even a drawing. then start writing with that board in sight.

good luck Angela we’re all stoked for you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

Wow I would have never thought to do a drawing..that would be fun and Im sure it would tap into the creative side of my brain. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Katie February 4, 2011

what about using brown rice syrup instead of the brown sugar?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 3, 2011

Oh. my. goodness. I have been craving chocolate like it is my J-O-B and I have all the ingredients! Craving = soon to be satisfied. Keep up with the no-bake recipes, they’re perfect for being a student!:)

Emma February 3, 2011

I agree! this is such a great idea for a fast dessert for us busy college students. I’ll experiment with different oils since coconut oil can be hard on a college budget….but all other ingredients are pretty standard! this might become a staple in my apartment….

Fiona February 3, 2011

YES. I totally agree with more no-bake/can be whipped together in a dorm room recipes. Angela you are a master at coming up with recipes that still feel fancy and indulgent no matter where they were thrown together!

Jenny February 3, 2011

I think I’ll be making these this weekend:) YUM! Anything with chocolate and coconut is a MUST on my list!

salah@myhealthiestlifestyle February 3, 2011

those look wonderful!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 3, 2011

Oooh, these look fantastic! Stay warm with all that snow! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 3, 2011

yesss i am sooo happy you posted this!! and i torture myself too its awful :( yesterday i kept looking at yoga retreats in costa rica!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

haha glad I’m not the only one…sometimes it is nice to take a mental vacation in the winter, even if you don’t go anywhere

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella February 3, 2011

mmm, I just made some vegan chocolate macaroons myself. I love coconut!!

KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness February 3, 2011

Yum chocolate + coconut = my favorite!

I’m on a HUGE Indian and Thai kick. Basically every day I either want Palak Paneer and Naan (spinach & paneer cheese in a creamy curry like sauce) or Masaman Curry with brown rice and tofu. I just can’t get enough of these flavors. What I need to do though is learn to make both at home (and maybe a tiny bit healthier) so that I don’t break my bank account getting take away so often!

ashley@quasichick February 3, 2011

yay I am so excited, these look beautiful and easy! I torture myself too, you are NOT alone :)

Heather @ All Sizzle No Steak February 3, 2011

Those look like little balls of mood boosting goodness!

radioactivegan February 3, 2011

I always start writing in the middle somewhere and work out. I think it’s a lot easier that way. It’s nearly impossible to write an abstract or introduction without having already written everything else! Good luck with it :)

kristy @ kristyruns.com February 3, 2011

Look at that snow! Mmmmm! Looks delicious! :)

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 3, 2011

You had me at no bake! =) ah-mazing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 3, 2011

I’ve always liked to stick to a rotation of 4-6 meals. That was until I started my blog. Now that I’ve committed to 6-7 recipes a week, I’ve really forced myself out of my comfort zone, rotating ingredients frequently, and getting excited over vegan meals again. I do have a soft spot for pureed soups and no bake foods though.

As for your big project – I think starting with the outlines and summaries as you’ve suggested would be best. Think of it the same as when you write a blog post – like the one you did a couple of days ago on being vegan. It was obvious that you’d spent time formulating your thoughts and opinions on the topic. If you approach it like you would a post, maybe it will take some pressure off? You can always go back later and spruce it up if you feel it needs it. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

That is funny that you thought my thoughts were organized in that post because I didn’t do an outline and should have. I felt like my thoughts were all over the place…but I was also trying to recap the entire show so that made it a bit difficult too. ;)
I think outlines are always a good idea though, esp in the case of a big project.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 3, 2011

Well, then it just comes naturally to you! Ha! Problem solved!

Amy February 3, 2011

For writing, I just *write*. Even if I start out by writing, “Sooo I don’t know what to write about or where to start right now…” It tends to flow after a few lines. I have to remind myself that the first draft doesn’t need to be perfect — I can rework it (or rewrite it entirely) later.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

Love that! Thanks :)

Baking 'n' Books February 3, 2011

I was going to say the same thing. Don’t wait or expect it to be “perfect”…otherwise you’ll never get started (I should listen to myself…).

I can’t believe your doing a cookbook proposal though!! That’s awesome. Do you have any prospects for publishing or is this just the beginning.

To be honest – you should just direct agents to your blog – there’s your proposal! :)

…and, uh, I’d love any advice myself…such as where did you get info on the “proper” way to do a proposal? I hear so much mixed stuff. The worst is always hearing that it’ll “never happen” , “no shot”, “rejections”, etc., etc.. I know, I know already! :)

Tiffany February 3, 2011

These look fantastic! I definitely go through phases with the foods I eat. Lately it has been a lot of homemade pizza with tons of veggies and mac and cheese. And as always, I am baking away. Since I am pregnant now I feel like I need to eat all the time. I am not complaining though. ;)

Lisa February 3, 2011

Well, I will be making these RIGHT NOW.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 3, 2011

Those look really yummy!
I definitely go through phases where I get stuck on a few things and eat them all the time. Right now I am loving a spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, beets, chicken, goat cheese and raspberry vinagrette. I eat it everyday!

Bronwyn Coyne February 3, 2011

I definitely go through food phases! Though lately I’ve been feeling like I just eat the same thing, over and over…. Those look delicious.

Good luck on your cookbook proposal! It will be fantastic no doubt. :)

Jess February 3, 2011

i love no bake cookies! such a quick way to satisfy your sweet tooth and usually much healthier than the usual treat. no bake chocolate cookies.

Judy February 3, 2011

When starting a big writing project, I always start with whatever I am most comfortable/knowledgeable with. This gets me started and for me, that is the hardest part. The rest flows. I don’t worry about writing the introduction first.

Good luck!

Heather February 3, 2011

Excellent recipe!

I have been experimenting with no bake macaroons as well!

My last attempt was coconut, oatmeal, mixed with melted coconut butter, coconut oil and unsweetened dark chocolate. The issue was that I could not roll the dough into balls! I will try adding a bit of coconut flour!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life February 3, 2011

These are beautiful–coconut reminds me of snow, but less annoying and tastier!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment February 3, 2011

I’ve been itching to get back to writing lately, but have kept pushing it off because I was too intimidated. The other night, my boyfriend was forced to stay at his parents’ house due to the snow, so I was home alone and snowed in with my laptop and a bottle of wine. Once I had a glass and a half of cabernet courage in me, I booted up and just started to write — I have no idea where it came from or what part of the story I’m even at, and I didn’t edit, I just wrote. I skimmed it yesterday and it’s definitely the best writing I’ve done in a long time! So, in my opinion, wine = the key to writing success! ;)

As for foods, I’m currently addicted to the curried lentil soup you posted a few weeks ago, and I have a mountain of sweet potatoes on the counter because I can’t seem to get enough spicy baked sp fries into my mouth these days!

Therese February 3, 2011

After the amazing success I had last weekend with your chocolate crispies with p.b., I’m going to have to give these a shot! They look so easy AND tasty!

Lizzie February 3, 2011

Hmmm . . . what recipes have I been enjoying lately . . . let’s see . . . how about creamy tomato barley risotto?? I made it for my husband and he just loves it and loves that fact that it’s healthier than regular risotto. It’s a once a week staple at the moment (with leftovers for lunch for moi!). Thanks Angela!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 3, 2011

I believe that I have all of the ingredients for this except for the flour. I know that you said we could sub other flour, but which would be better Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or WW Flour?

Ashley February 3, 2011

Im always on a salad kick and I don’t think I’ll ever come off of it.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 3, 2011

What a happy “unexpected” result! Those look delicious!

I definitely go through food phases. In fact, if it weren’t for my blog, I’d probably eat the same exact thing for a month straight! Lately, my favorites include my Cherry-Chocolate Avocado Pudding (amazing!!), Vegan Mac n’ Cheese, and Raw Lemon “Cheesecake.” Chilly weather brings out the comfort-food cravings! ;)

Elin @andserenitytoo February 3, 2011

Those look so delicious!
I have been discovering overnight oats lately, and I love them! They keep me full much longer than just regular oats. I have to say thank you as well for your creamy avocado pasta recipe – I made it last night and it is soo good… I might try to steal it from you and marry it myself :)

Marie-JourneytoBodyZen February 3, 2011

These look so simple and quick!

Gen February 3, 2011

Those macaroons look yummy!
Want to come visit me in Brazil? Its warm!

Tiffany February 3, 2011

Wow these look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. But I am even more excited at the prospect of your cookbook! I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a cookbook. I will definitely be ordering/buying it when you make it! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

aww thanks :)

Sonia February 3, 2011

Marry me.

I’ve been on such a chocolate and coconut kick that these just stole my heart at the title of the post.

As for writing, as one of the above posters said, sit down and write. I call it a spill, since you’re just practically writing whatever’s in your head. It doesn’t matter what you write as long as you start doing it and soon the flow will find its course. I’ve been working on finishing my novel and been taking small breaks in order to write out small outlines for the next book because of all the ideas that hit me while I do a “spill”.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

I love the thought of a ‘spill’…such a great word to describe that technique too

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen February 3, 2011

Are these the macaroons you had at the farmer’s market this past summer? Because those were awesome!!

Lately all I’ve been wanting to eat is pancakes, pancakes and more pancakes. With butter and broccoli. Strange, but I’m not questioning :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011

Yup I sorta adapted my farmer’s market ones :)

You just gave me a HUGE craving for pancakes!!!

Roz February 3, 2011

If your cookbook proposal is as impressive at your foodbuzz entries, you’re a shoe in for a book deal!!! Stay warm over there, that’s QUITE the snowfall!!! Have a good day.

Ásta Sigrún February 3, 2011

Have you left the bakery,wish I was in US/CANADA so I could get glow bars, I bet their amazing:)

Ásta Sigrún February 3, 2011

Ps best of luck with your book, I’m doing grad school so I’m writing all the time, I find adrenaline helps, that is, once I get so petrified that I’m on a deadline it all comes together:) all the best from Iceland, Been reading this site since the christmas after you started it, but rearly comment.

Jessica Engel February 3, 2011

Maybe try getting a plain piece of paper (no lines) and just writing on it the most inspirational words you can think of that you want your cookbook to stand for… keep going for a full 5 minutes or so until your paper is covered. Then go back and see which words really pop out to you… maybe that will inspire you and the sentences will just start pouring out!!

Page 1 of 3123»