No Bake Chocolate Macaroons

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 3, 2011

We ended up getting quite the storm yesterday! One broken shovel and lots of soup and hot tea later, we can feel our limbs once again.

IMG_9384

Then I tortured myself by looking up tropical vacations on Travel Zoo. I really need to stop doing that to myself.

IMG_9385

Luckily, there are always Valentine’s Day goodies to look forward to.

IMG_0375

If you care to see the rest of my Valentine’s Day recipes you can check out the Recipes page where I have grouped them together near the top. I recently added a Recipe of the Week feature on my Recipes page too.

vdaybanner120th_thumb1

I actually didn’t plan on making these No Bake Chocolate Macaroons at all.

I was trying to create my own macaroon recipe (baked in the oven) and they turned out very crumbly. Then the wheels got turning and I thought it would be fun to make a macaroon that required no baking (or dehydrating) at all. I have been doing the vegan baking and cooking thing for over a year and a half now and one thing I have discovered is that my recipes are often the result of a flop or unexpected result in the kitchen. I set off to bake one thing, and something else happens…it’s best just to roll with it.

IMG_0364

The no-bake spree continues!

IMG_0353

They are ready in 5 minutes flat.

IMG_0366

Gather your 8 ingredients.

IMG_9332

Substitution questions:

• You can substitute the spelt flour for another kind of flour, but you may need to use less flour because spelt flour saturates more easily (maybe use 1 tbsp less of another kind of flour)
  • You can substitute regular white sugar for brown sugar
  • You can use any kind of milk you prefer (here I used chocolate Almond Milk)
  • You might be able to get away with using a different oil, but the flavour will change…so don’t hate me if you don’t like it!

IMG_0336

Sift the dry ingredients. Nobody wants a clump of bitter cocoa in their Macaroon. ;)

IMG_0338

Mix dry + wet.

IMG_0342 IMG_0346IMG_0348 IMG_0350

Roll into balls!

IMG_0352IMG_0355

I loved rolling the Macaroons into coconut to finish them off. You need to press down quite hard for it to stick.

IMG_0364

You can also dip them in melted chocolate and roll them into seeds or nuts.

IMG_0370

The result is a no-bake chocolate macaroon with a lovely, authentic macaroon flavour. They are soft, so if you prefer some crunch, you could always add in some chopped nuts or crisp rice cereal to your liking.

Eric loved the taste, but he wasn’t crazy about the texture because he thought the brown sugar made the texture a bit ‘sandy’. You could probably prevent this by using regular white sugar or you could try dissolving the brown sugar into the coconut oil in the microwave. Personally, I didn’t mind the ‘sandy’ texture myself.

IMG_0362

Store them in the fridge or freezer.

IMG_0379

For the rest of my Valentine’s Day recipes, see here.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious February 3, 2011 at 11:17 am

these look delicious….macaroons are one of my favourites!! i’m on a kick of veggie quinoa and soups.

Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete February 3, 2011 at 11:18 am

Best of luck to you on your proposal! Yes, large writing tasks are intimidating. I like how you are breaking it down. I hope that helps you!

The meal I have been eating a ton of is a taco salad: romaine, bell pepper, salsa, black beans, refried beans, avocado, black olives. Delicious!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

That sounds deslish!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 3, 2011 at 11:20 am

Yay – I have all the ingredients for these on-hand! Could you also sub in powdered sugar or even some stevia if the brown sugar is too grainy? I wonder if it won’t be “solid” enough…

I always had that problem writing big papers in school. I found that just starting to write (without worrying about the order) helped me. That way there wasn’t the pressure of “OMG, I need to sit here and think until I have a stellar opener!”

Lately I’ve been on an Indian kick. Can’t get enough garam masala! I think your channa masala is to blame, actually… :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 11:29 am

Powered sugar is something I didn’t think of…it might work, but I’m not sure how much to use because it is so sweet. It would be an experiment I guess!

Maureen PLuthero February 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm

What about just grinding the sugar a bit so it is less sandy?

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit February 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

yes that’s actually the best ‘trick’ I know too. do a sort of brainstorm session with yourself, maybe on a big board. allow yourself to write down everything that comes to mind what you want this cookbook to encompass, words, sentences, maybe even a drawing. then start writing with that board in sight.

good luck Angela we’re all stoked for you :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Wow I would have never thought to do a drawing..that would be fun and Im sure it would tap into the creative side of my brain. :) Thanks for the suggestion!

Katie February 4, 2011 at 7:41 pm

what about using brown rice syrup instead of the brown sugar?

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 3, 2011 at 11:20 am

Oh. my. goodness. I have been craving chocolate like it is my J-O-B and I have all the ingredients! Craving = soon to be satisfied. Keep up with the no-bake recipes, they’re perfect for being a student!:)

Emma February 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

I agree! this is such a great idea for a fast dessert for us busy college students. I’ll experiment with different oils since coconut oil can be hard on a college budget….but all other ingredients are pretty standard! this might become a staple in my apartment….

Fiona February 3, 2011 at 3:38 pm

YES. I totally agree with more no-bake/can be whipped together in a dorm room recipes. Angela you are a master at coming up with recipes that still feel fancy and indulgent no matter where they were thrown together!

Jenny February 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

I think I’ll be making these this weekend:) YUM! Anything with chocolate and coconut is a MUST on my list!

[email protected] February 3, 2011 at 11:21 am

those look wonderful!

Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles February 3, 2011 at 11:24 am

Oooh, these look fantastic! Stay warm with all that snow! :)

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

yesss i am sooo happy you posted this!! and i torture myself too its awful :( yesterday i kept looking at yoga retreats in costa rica!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 11:30 am

haha glad I’m not the only one…sometimes it is nice to take a mental vacation in the winter, even if you don’t go anywhere

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella February 3, 2011 at 11:34 am

mmm, I just made some vegan chocolate macaroons myself. I love coconut!!

KitKat @ Pursuit of Happiness February 3, 2011 at 11:34 am

Yum chocolate + coconut = my favorite!

I’m on a HUGE Indian and Thai kick. Basically every day I either want Palak Paneer and Naan (spinach & paneer cheese in a creamy curry like sauce) or Masaman Curry with brown rice and tofu. I just can’t get enough of these flavors. What I need to do though is learn to make both at home (and maybe a tiny bit healthier) so that I don’t break my bank account getting take away so often!

[email protected] February 3, 2011 at 11:36 am

yay I am so excited, these look beautiful and easy! I torture myself too, you are NOT alone :)

Heather @ All Sizzle No Steak February 3, 2011 at 11:38 am

Those look like little balls of mood boosting goodness!

radioactivegan February 3, 2011 at 11:39 am

I always start writing in the middle somewhere and work out. I think it’s a lot easier that way. It’s nearly impossible to write an abstract or introduction without having already written everything else! Good luck with it :)

kristy @ kristyruns.com February 3, 2011 at 11:41 am

Look at that snow! Mmmmm! Looks delicious! :)

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons February 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

You had me at no bake! =) ah-mazing!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

I’ve always liked to stick to a rotation of 4-6 meals. That was until I started my blog. Now that I’ve committed to 6-7 recipes a week, I’ve really forced myself out of my comfort zone, rotating ingredients frequently, and getting excited over vegan meals again. I do have a soft spot for pureed soups and no bake foods though.

As for your big project – I think starting with the outlines and summaries as you’ve suggested would be best. Think of it the same as when you write a blog post – like the one you did a couple of days ago on being vegan. It was obvious that you’d spent time formulating your thoughts and opinions on the topic. If you approach it like you would a post, maybe it will take some pressure off? You can always go back later and spruce it up if you feel it needs it. Good luck!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

That is funny that you thought my thoughts were organized in that post because I didn’t do an outline and should have. I felt like my thoughts were all over the place…but I was also trying to recap the entire show so that made it a bit difficult too. ;)
I think outlines are always a good idea though, esp in the case of a big project.

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Well, then it just comes naturally to you! Ha! Problem solved!

Amy February 3, 2011 at 11:42 am

For writing, I just *write*. Even if I start out by writing, “Sooo I don’t know what to write about or where to start right now…” It tends to flow after a few lines. I have to remind myself that the first draft doesn’t need to be perfect — I can rework it (or rewrite it entirely) later.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

Love that! Thanks :)

Baking 'n' Books February 3, 2011 at 4:21 pm

I was going to say the same thing. Don’t wait or expect it to be “perfect”…otherwise you’ll never get started (I should listen to myself…).

I can’t believe your doing a cookbook proposal though!! That’s awesome. Do you have any prospects for publishing or is this just the beginning.

To be honest – you should just direct agents to your blog – there’s your proposal! :)

…and, uh, I’d love any advice myself…such as where did you get info on the “proper” way to do a proposal? I hear so much mixed stuff. The worst is always hearing that it’ll “never happen” , “no shot”, “rejections”, etc., etc.. I know, I know already! :)

Tiffany February 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

These look fantastic! I definitely go through phases with the foods I eat. Lately it has been a lot of homemade pizza with tons of veggies and mac and cheese. And as always, I am baking away. Since I am pregnant now I feel like I need to eat all the time. I am not complaining though. ;)

Lisa February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Well, I will be making these RIGHT NOW.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Those look really yummy!
I definitely go through phases where I get stuck on a few things and eat them all the time. Right now I am loving a spinach salad with strawberries, blueberries, beets, chicken, goat cheese and raspberry vinagrette. I eat it everyday!

Bronwyn Coyne February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

I definitely go through food phases! Though lately I’ve been feeling like I just eat the same thing, over and over…. Those look delicious.

Good luck on your cookbook proposal! It will be fantastic no doubt. :)

Jess February 3, 2011 at 11:46 am

i love no bake cookies! such a quick way to satisfy your sweet tooth and usually much healthier than the usual treat. no bake chocolate cookies.

Judy February 3, 2011 at 11:48 am

When starting a big writing project, I always start with whatever I am most comfortable/knowledgeable with. This gets me started and for me, that is the hardest part. The rest flows. I don’t worry about writing the introduction first.

Good luck!

Heather February 3, 2011 at 11:52 am

Excellent recipe!

I have been experimenting with no bake macaroons as well!

My last attempt was coconut, oatmeal, mixed with melted coconut butter, coconut oil and unsweetened dark chocolate. The issue was that I could not roll the dough into balls! I will try adding a bit of coconut flour!

[email protected] Sweet Life February 3, 2011 at 11:53 am

These are beautiful–coconut reminds me of snow, but less annoying and tastier!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment February 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm

I’ve been itching to get back to writing lately, but have kept pushing it off because I was too intimidated. The other night, my boyfriend was forced to stay at his parents’ house due to the snow, so I was home alone and snowed in with my laptop and a bottle of wine. Once I had a glass and a half of cabernet courage in me, I booted up and just started to write — I have no idea where it came from or what part of the story I’m even at, and I didn’t edit, I just wrote. I skimmed it yesterday and it’s definitely the best writing I’ve done in a long time! So, in my opinion, wine = the key to writing success! ;)

As for foods, I’m currently addicted to the curried lentil soup you posted a few weeks ago, and I have a mountain of sweet potatoes on the counter because I can’t seem to get enough spicy baked sp fries into my mouth these days!

Therese February 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm

After the amazing success I had last weekend with your chocolate crispies with p.b., I’m going to have to give these a shot! They look so easy AND tasty!

Lizzie February 3, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Hmmm . . . what recipes have I been enjoying lately . . . let’s see . . . how about creamy tomato barley risotto?? I made it for my husband and he just loves it and loves that fact that it’s healthier than regular risotto. It’s a once a week staple at the moment (with leftovers for lunch for moi!). Thanks Angela!

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 3, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I believe that I have all of the ingredients for this except for the flour. I know that you said we could sub other flour, but which would be better Whole Wheat Pastry Flour or WW Flour?

Ashley February 3, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Im always on a salad kick and I don’t think I’ll ever come off of it.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' February 3, 2011 at 12:09 pm

What a happy “unexpected” result! Those look delicious!

I definitely go through food phases. In fact, if it weren’t for my blog, I’d probably eat the same exact thing for a month straight! Lately, my favorites include my Cherry-Chocolate Avocado Pudding (amazing!!), Vegan Mac n’ Cheese, and Raw Lemon “Cheesecake.” Chilly weather brings out the comfort-food cravings! ;)

Elin @andserenitytoo February 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Those look so delicious!
I have been discovering overnight oats lately, and I love them! They keep me full much longer than just regular oats. I have to say thank you as well for your creamy avocado pasta recipe – I made it last night and it is soo good… I might try to steal it from you and marry it myself :)

Marie-JourneytoBodyZen February 3, 2011 at 12:11 pm

These look so simple and quick!

Gen February 3, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Those macaroons look yummy!
Want to come visit me in Brazil? Its warm!

Tiffany February 3, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Wow these look amazing! I can’t wait to try them. But I am even more excited at the prospect of your cookbook! I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a cookbook. I will definitely be ordering/buying it when you make it! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 12:33 pm

aww thanks :)

Sonia February 3, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Marry me.

I’ve been on such a chocolate and coconut kick that these just stole my heart at the title of the post.

As for writing, as one of the above posters said, sit down and write. I call it a spill, since you’re just practically writing whatever’s in your head. It doesn’t matter what you write as long as you start doing it and soon the flow will find its course. I’ve been working on finishing my novel and been taking small breaks in order to write out small outlines for the next book because of all the ideas that hit me while I do a “spill”.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I love the thought of a ‘spill’…such a great word to describe that technique too

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen February 3, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Are these the macaroons you had at the farmer’s market this past summer? Because those were awesome!!

Lately all I’ve been wanting to eat is pancakes, pancakes and more pancakes. With butter and broccoli. Strange, but I’m not questioning :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Yup I sorta adapted my farmer’s market ones :)

You just gave me a HUGE craving for pancakes!!!

Roz February 3, 2011 at 12:30 pm

If your cookbook proposal is as impressive at your foodbuzz entries, you’re a shoe in for a book deal!!! Stay warm over there, that’s QUITE the snowfall!!! Have a good day.

Ásta Sigrún February 3, 2011 at 12:34 pm

Have you left the bakery,wish I was in US/CANADA so I could get glow bars, I bet their amazing:)

Ásta Sigrún February 3, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Ps best of luck with your book, I’m doing grad school so I’m writing all the time, I find adrenaline helps, that is, once I get so petrified that I’m on a deadline it all comes together:) all the best from Iceland, Been reading this site since the christmas after you started it, but rearly comment.

Jessica Engel February 3, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Maybe try getting a plain piece of paper (no lines) and just writing on it the most inspirational words you can think of that you want your cookbook to stand for… keep going for a full 5 minutes or so until your paper is covered. Then go back and see which words really pop out to you… maybe that will inspire you and the sentences will just start pouring out!!

Natalia - a side of simple February 3, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Sending good wishes and prayers your way for happy writing :) Now excuse me while I go find the ingredients to make these for my Valentine this year (which may or may not be myself, which may be the best thing ever).

Christine (The Raw Project) February 3, 2011 at 12:49 pm

These look wonderful and simple, thanks for the recipe!

I pass through a lot of phases, I was on a lentil kick for awhile, now a hemp seed kick – like I have theme ingredient weeks. :-)

To start a large project I have to eliminate as many distractions as possible and break the project down into smaller projects with an outline or agenda.

[email protected] February 3, 2011 at 12:52 pm

I know you’ll do great with the cookbook goal! I’ve been liking many pasta/rice dish type stuff lately. I made your avocado pasta last night with a lil twist! It was good and my 1 yr. old nephew looooved it. But afterward, the whole night, my tongue felt funny! I wonder if I have a funny thing (not really allergic though) going on with avocado~do you get that too?

Jenn (GH) February 3, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Have you ever read “Bird by Bird” by Anne Lamott? It’s a wonderful book about the writing process.

Paige is Running Around Normal February 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Your back door view looks similar to ours…
Those macaroons look fab, though! :)

Sarah February 3, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Hi, I just wanted to share something I tried today and thought it might fit with the Valentine’s Day theme… I make overnight oats a lot (good dorm food!), and today I made them with the juice drained from a can of beets instead of almond milk.

They were so red and so sweet and I figure there’s gotta be lots of nutrients in that dark dark juice right??

dana @ my little celebration February 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Yum! Those look so good. I seriously need to get some stinkin’ coconut oil. Everyone’s using it in their recipes these days and I feel like I’m the only one without it!

[email protected] Hungry Mess February 3, 2011 at 1:04 pm

These look awesome! I am sending a Valentines gift in the mail and would love to include one of your creations, would you recommend sending these or the chocolates I remember seeing during your project food blog hike series? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

To be honest, I am not sure how well either would ship or what their shelf life would be outside of the fridge/freezer because I haven’t tried it myself. They are fairly delicate…so I would worry about them in the mail. Anyone else tried shipping them?
What about shipping granola? That ships wonderfully!

[email protected] Hungry Mess February 3, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Ooo good idea! Granola it is. Thanks :)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 3, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I cannot wait to try these! They sound amazing, and I have all of the ingredients at home already. :) I’ve been on an orange foods kick for month, including sweet potatoes, butternut squash, carrots, and pumpkin. In fact, I sort of have a problem.

Nichole February 3, 2011 at 1:11 pm

OH I am so excited that you are starting the journey of writing a book! I know you will do great.

Currently I am loving my Tofu Stiry Fry with Vegan Fried Rice absolutely love this healthified chinese recipe!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 3, 2011 at 1:12 pm

Good luck with the writing Ange! When your cookbook comes out I will SO be buying it! Right now I’m in a soup/stew phase, and recently finished a bit of a salad phase… but I miss them so I think I’ll be bringing them back next week! :)

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 3, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Ooh, unique concept! These look totally different from macaroons that I’m used to, but I’m sure they are great!

I think I would be interested in a cookbook with recipes like these. I am really starting to cook a lot more adventurously since using cookbooks!

Ashley February 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I am having the MOTHER of all eating phases. A love affair with oven roasted cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries dipped in a mixture of Coconut Butter and Maple Syrup.
I can’t stop. I am going to turn orange :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 1:49 pm

That sounds like a piece of heaven!

Leanne (For Health's Sake) February 3, 2011 at 1:32 pm

I go through phases where I’m trying new recipes like crazy, then go through a period (usually when life gets a little bit hectic) where I eat the same 10 dishes constantly… :|

I love letting my creativity out in the kitchen though, it’s such a rewarding thing!

can’t wait to hear more about your book!! :)

Lena February 3, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Never write the introduction first! Or if you do, just know that it is just a starting point and not the actual introduction that will end up in the published version.

Amanda February 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I have to stop looking at sandals resort pictures….. you’re not alone!

Hillary February 3, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Starting a paper is always the hardest part. I am a history major, so I write a ton of papers. I am not always sure where my paper is going or how it will end up. It can change so easily based on one little thing you find out doing research.
So I always write my introduction last. Plus I write both the into and conclusion in a seperate word documetn so I can compare them next to each other. This way I know I am making the points that I want too.
I can’t wait for your cookbook! it is going to be amazing!!

Catherine February 3, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Whoops – I should have read all the comments before posting mine!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers February 3, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Those look delish- definitely bookmarking :)

Starting a big project is hard- if I’m having trouble getting started, I usually just try to DO IT- get something, anything down. I tell myself it doesn’t have to perfect, I can change it later, it’s just to get the juices flowing. Turns out, the usual reason for me not starting- I’m scared it won’t be perfect. If you give yourself permission to be less than perfect the 1st go around, so much more gets accomplished!

Laura @ Starting Out Fit February 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

I’m totally on a sweet potato or banana oatmeal pancake kick lately!!! I just can’t get enough of this breakfast treat!

AGS February 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I love writing. . . and I hate writing. Thank goodness writing is a component, but not the main component of my job! For research projects, and standard business projects, writing is so often formulaic, that the trick is to actually not “write it in your sleep”. . . I’m currently about to start a more interesting project for work — a monograph/white paper that has to argue certain security implications, and I will tell you how I’m organizing it (since I’m already over my head).

First, assemble a TEAM — find someone who will brainstorm with you, someone who can address technical issues, and someone who will work on editing. Writing is a pretty solitary task, but I think that we taught to believe a lie in most academic settings (until you get into the more adanced publishing realm) that you write “in a box.” Writing is iterative and collaborative. If you organize your writing around the key points (I like to start with 1 page that is a simple thesis/paragraph, supported by bullets with assumptions/facts/supporting themes — and then each of these can be worked out), you can then set up a series of meetings with others to discuss these points. I happen to find discussing what I’m writing very motivational. So I set up my meeting in adance, and write with the idea of having the teammate(s) review it. I find breaking it up this way much less intimidating, as you are working toward specific goals — and getting support along the way.

Julia February 3, 2011 at 4:15 pm

I can only agree with these tips!!!
The subject of my Master Thesis was quite theoretical as I developed a new concept. I was going crazy because I did not have a “real” applied project that would deliver input. Everything had to come from myself. So, I had to talk and discuss with others about ideas and thoughts all the time especially when working on a new aspect. Planning those brainstroming sessions could be very helpful. You could bring background people with different backgrounds to get different views.

When it comes to the getting started with a big project, I always need to breakt the task down into smaller ones. For example, making the basic chapter structure, or, when starting on a chapter, making bullet points with the main content and then start writing from that.
A big project can make me feel really anxious just because it’s so big! Breaking it down makes it more manageable for me.

Congrats on writig you book proposal! I hope your book will also be available in Germany :-)

Simple Pure Wonderful February 3, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I have been making everything baby friendly that doubles for our meal… last night made Black Bean Red Wheat Berry Vegetable Melody I just posted recipe on my blog perfect hearty one dish meal for these cool winter days… other fav right now cream of wheat/rye/flax cereal (red river) with banana chopped dates and a splash of almond milk talk about a reason to get up in the am!! I made something similar to your post today that I submitted for your valentines contest I baked mine tho :)

Kelly February 3, 2011 at 2:17 pm

These look great! I’ve been following your blog for a while now but I never comment, I figured I might as well. I wish you luck with your proposal, you’re very talented so i’m sure it will be great! I will TOTALLY buy your cookbook when it comes out :)

Katie February 3, 2011 at 2:20 pm

I am loving all the no bake treats! Don’t stop…don’t turn on your oven….

Liz February 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm

You should come to California – it’s in the 60s and sunny! Who can tell it’s winter?!

Despite the unseasonably warm weather, I’m really into soups/stews/warm pots of things that make great leftovers. I’m just sort of lazy, and one pot meals are the best.

Also, when starting a huge project, especially with writing, a lot of times I’ll do a brief outline and then just start writing. Sometimes it takes some time (like a few pages) to get into the flow where the good stuff is.

Kayla (Little Miss Healthify) February 3, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Good luck with the cookbook proposal, you can do it! Just think of how thrilled you’ll be when it’s done!

Leia February 3, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Hey Angela,
I’ve done a lot of writing in the past, and I often feel the same fear – I want every word to be perfect, so I’m too scared to start writing. I combat this by just writing ANYTHING, even if I think it’s crap. I might start listing my points in bullet form, or just write down my thoughts as they occur to me. I find it’s much easier to edit from there, rather than expect yourself to start from scratch with the words already brilliantly formed.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 3:15 pm

I have that fear too…or I struggle with one sentence forever. Ive been having a pretty good flow today and I think that is because I just wrote whatever popped into my mind without JUDGMENT. Judgment can come later.

Baking 'n' Books February 3, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Wait – are you actually writing the book right now? Or the proposal?…Or the two combined?…this fascinates me – sorry ;)

Jessica @ Healthy Dairyland February 3, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Oh em gee! These look so good and they sound even better! I am adding them to my recipe list for my vegan challenge!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is February 3, 2011 at 2:57 pm

These look divine!

shamima February 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm

In the winter, I love, love soups/stews with artisan bread drenched in coconut oil….YUM!!
My husband and I are loving your Ultimate Raisin Cookies. I have made it twice already. The curried lentil soup/red lentil curry are also awesome. Other than that I like simple things such as avocado on toast with hummus and parsnip and sweet potato fries. With a newborn I am all for quick and easy. Your cookbook will be awesome!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Im pretty sure I eat avocado on toast every single day…hehe…with tomato paste and pepper too.

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 3, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I’m a mixing bowl junkie/collector and I must say that I just adore your blue mixing bowls! They are so playful and fun and bright. The macaroons look good too!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Thank you!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 3, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I am a HUGE fan of no-bake anything! And if it involves chocolate and coconut, even better:) I love elegant, decadent food…it’s just that I dont have time to make long, complicated recipes and sometimes no-bake things taste just as good as the complicated things!

I make nobake macaroons too, I call them snowballs. Since rather than baking, I use the freezer to help them set up.

I love the way your recipe mind has been thinking lately :)

Amber K February 3, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I definitely go through phases, AKA food ruts. I eat the exact same thing for awhile and then I can’t stand to look at it and jump onto my next love.

Amy February 3, 2011 at 3:45 pm

I’m surprised you’re not using that oven as much as possible with that cold cold weather!! I would be… Helps heat the place haha!!

Right now I’m obsessed with putting steamed broccoli in dishes! A few weeks ago it was lentil soup :)

Many people have said it already, but when I have a huge paper to do, I just have to sit and WRITE anything! If I stress out about an intro or what topic should go first, I’ll never get it done. So I sit and think, this is a good topic, and just type away… words flow after you get started!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 3:50 pm

I know you’d think Id have the oven on 24/7 or something ;) Im a weird one!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Another winner !!! I definitely go through phases with food. Lately it has been salads – although I suspect that has more to do with the heat!

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 3, 2011 at 3:51 pm

i’m a no-bake kind of gal too…these sound so yummy!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 3, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Ohh, these sound soo, soooo good!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond February 3, 2011 at 4:27 pm

These look so delicious.

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 3, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Starting a project can be so hard! BUT you are one TALENTED writer and cook/baker, so I know it will come to you! =] Can’t wait for that cookbook!! It’s going to be amazing!

Alaina February 3, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I love anything coconut so those look amazing! :-)

tara February 3, 2011 at 4:49 pm

Your pictures are amazing lately!!!!! they were always great, but now, WOW :) I love the ones where you have all the ingredients in your measuring cups, etc in one shot. great work!

ps – I am going to make these for hubby for our first valentine’s day being married. *bookmark* now :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Stephanie February 3, 2011 at 4:56 pm

These look delicious! I have had a chocolate craving all day and these might be the PERFECT fix!

I’ve been in the midst of starting a large project all week. The strategy that helped me the most was a combination of: caffeine in the form of strong coffee (I love coffee but don’t drink it all that often–I think it signaled a symbolic transition to working on the project), loud music and just writing about anything related to the subject. Once I started to write, it all got a lot easier.

Good luck, and I’m looking forward to your book!

Vanessa February 3, 2011 at 5:08 pm

These look amazing!! I’ve been craving chocolate and i’ve also been on a huge coconut kick lately so these are perfect!!! And there’s no baking involved!! :-)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I made no bake dark choc macaroons over Christmas! They’re so simple and delicious, huh? :)

Ashley February 3, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Coconut and chocolate are one of the best combinations:) Thank you!! I love macaroons, and I have all these ingredients on hand!

Catherine February 3, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I totally hear you on torturing yourself with travel websites. It’s so fun to see the tropical beaches and warm getaways, but then sad if there’s no vacation in the cards!

I love your no-bake kick. And I think I have all these ingredients at home, so it should be easy to try.

Good luck with starting to write. Sometimes I find that writing something daunting like an Introduction is often done best if it’s done last! After all, you may not be able to fully articulate the themes of your book until after you’re done writing most of the content. I can’t wait to buy it! :)

Jenna February 3, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I think its fine to be on a kick with something. You have me stuck on your hummus recipe right now! My boyfriend LOVES your hummus so much that I have to make a HUGE batch each week! I have gone through 2 tahini jars over a 2 month period. Before this, I kept my tahini for over a year!! Haha. I think its OK because its delicious and its one of the only “bean” dishes he’ll eat. He’ll always ask me if its healthy, and when I tell him yes, he smiles :) Maybe I should make him the hummus soup you posted a few days ago!

On beginning a large project, starting is the hardest part. Once you get into something and you are enjoying it, it becomes much more fluid. I am a runner, and I find that starting up training again is tough. However, as time goes by (I make up a schedule of training similar to your and try to stick to it as close as possible, increasing mileage as time goes on) it becomes easy, effortless, and incredibly enjoyable. Share your passion with others and ask for feedback and advice! This keeps the spirit of the goal alive :)

Mandiee February 3, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I wish you the best of luck with your book proposal! I’ve been an avid reader for awhile and am so excited about the possibility of an Oh She Glows book. I know you will do wonderfully as your creativity always shines through! All you have to do is believe in yourself :).

I definitely go through food phases, too. Currently I’m obsessed with stir-fries and roasted squash (but really, I’m ALWAYS obsessed with roasted squash). There’s something so comforting about a large bowl of warm veggies sauteed in fresh ginger (perfect for warming me up in the winter) and various spices. Yummy!

Have a lovely day!
xox

Emily February 3, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Those look WAY delicious and easy. Microwave friendly is a HUGE plus in my book!

I totally feel for you with the whole getting started thing, BUT congratulations and keep up the hard work with your cookbook! Don’t doubt yourself. :D

And food phases…? I’m on a huge oatmeal with banana & almond butter kick.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 3, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Ok I’ve been putting off buying coconut oil because of the price, but I think I need to buy it JUST so I can make these!

As for starting big projects, it’s always easier if I set a reward for myself for when I finish it. ;)

Jennifer February 3, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Hi Angela:

See this link to Anne Lamott’s “Shitty First Drafts”, it was recommended by my first year undergrad English teacher and it might help!:

Right now I’m on a homemade soup kick. A big batch sees two of us almost through the week as part of our lunches. Last week it was a vegetable, cannelini bean, and rosemary soup, this week a carrot, red pepper and dill soup. Yum!

Thanks for all the effort you put into your blog.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Love the link you sent! I love this quote too: ‘A friend of
mine says that the first draft is the down draft — you just get it down. The second
draft is the up draft — you fix it up. You try to say what you have to say more
accurately. And the third draft is the dental draft, where you check every tooth, to
see if it’s loose or cramped or decayed…’

Jennifer February 4, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Yes, I like that quote too. I’m in the middle of trying to get the ‘down draft’ done on the first chapter of my Master’s thesis…it helps a lot to feel free to just spew it all out to start!

Hanna February 3, 2011 at 6:47 pm

These looks so delicious!! Is there anything that can be used to substitute for coconut oil?
Can’t wait to make them!

Adrianna February 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I love your recipes. I bring them to family events all the time. I can’t wait for your book to come out because I’m tired of my ugly grey binder with all the printed recipes rather then a nice cover, also the step by step photos are awesome and I can’t print color well. I hate getting through and not knowing if I’m doing it right. Yes I go through phases, its a muffin phase now. Apple cinnamon, orange cranberry, maple and museli, berry, corn, all week its been lots of muffins.

Have you tried the timer method? You set a timer (10min, 20min etc.) and do whatever you need to do for that time and when it goes off go take a break. My husband loves Getting Things Done, its supposed to be good for breaking down small projects.

Sorry for the longest comment ever, but have you considered doing the Vegetarian food festival in Boston, MA? It says vegetarian but its mostly vegan companies, restaurants and products.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thanks for reminding me of the timer method!

I haven’t heard of the Boston Veg fair, but there is one here in Toronto which I believe is the biggest in North America.

Katie @fabfitfull February 3, 2011 at 7:57 pm

thats so great that you are finally writing a cookbook! i have always thought you should, every recipe i try of yours comes out amazing!

Michelle February 3, 2011 at 8:10 pm

The snow looks so pretty! You might think I’m crazy, but I miss snow! I’m sure you’d be cool with sending me some, right? Haha :)

Cristal February 3, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Hi Angela, This has nothing to do with the most recent post, but there was an open-faced sandwich that you used to make with hummus, blackbeans, cucumber… Can you remember what was all on that sandwich? I can’t find it anywhere in your archives and it was delicious!!

Thanks,
Cristal

Imwaytoobusy February 3, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Pure genius (as always)! These sounds absolutely fabulous.

Hannah February 3, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Beautiful! I’ve been looking for more recipes to use my brand-new coconut oil in! Hurrah!

Andrea February 3, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Me and my 8 year old daughter made these in 6 minutes flat! My daughter was so happy that she could share these with her friend (who is vegan) who is coming tomorrow for a playdate.
What a great project for us all to do again tomorrow!
thanks so much for a quick and yummy idea. Mommies appreciate such things!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

Hi Andrea, That is great to hear. :) I’m glad that they were as easy to whip up as I thought!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie February 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm

WHY IS EVERYONE POSTING ABOUT CHOCOLATE!? I have been without chocolate for days and I’m dying! We were snowed in and tomorrow is the day but seriously, you’re killing me.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

haha I hope you can get your chocolate today!

Camille February 3, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Oh my gosh, so much snow!
I would just coop up and eat that whole batch if I were you :)

[email protected] February 3, 2011 at 11:35 pm

oh these look amazing so rich and chocolaty and I love how simple they are to prepare… ah I am soo craving chocolate.

alison February 4, 2011 at 12:32 am

Hi Angela
These macaroons are on my “to do” list for Friday! I was wondering if it would work if I used coconut sugar or agave instead of the brown sugar? Thanks for all of your yummy recipes and inspiring me. I love to bake so I’ll definitely be purchasing your cook book! Hang in there! It will all fall into place and be amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2011 at 9:49 am

I’m sure coconut sugar would work (although ive never used it so I can’t comment on the taste!) Im not sure about agave since it is a liquid, the dry ingredents would have to be adjusted…

[email protected] Grains of Paradise February 4, 2011 at 12:46 am

Total hankering all week for Lemon Bars! So random! Maybe I’m pregnant? haha

Gypsy February 4, 2011 at 12:54 am

Yay A Cookbook! So excited :)

Sportsgirl February 4, 2011 at 12:58 am

Oooh I have all these ingredients!

I’ve been slack with my food lately so have nothing to add to the question!

Jackie @ Seejacrun February 4, 2011 at 1:00 am

Those look wonderful! My go to food right now is peanut butter! There are some stretches where i don’t use it at all, and then there are times when it’s practically in everything I make! Good luck with the cook book, I think it is a perfect idea, I am always trying out your recipes and all your pictures are absolutely beautiful :)

Zestful Lou February 4, 2011 at 1:37 am

With all that snow on the ground, you’d think that you’d have the oven on all the time! Brrrr! Are you going to share a recipe for the chocolate-looking cookies you had pictures of when you first announced the V-Day recipe contest? Those looked like they wanted to be in my stomach. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 4, 2011 at 9:48 am

they didn’t turn out :(

Adam February 4, 2011 at 4:09 am

You and Eric (and sketchy, too!) can come live at my house in Thailand if you promise to share your delicious vegan food with me! haha

Pearl (Crunch and Chew) February 4, 2011 at 4:24 am

I had coconut butter for the first time a little while ago and am in love with it :)
Good luck with the writing! I try to break up big projects into manageable ‘sections’ or ‘bits’ and tackle one at a time, it makes it a little less daunting that way.

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies) February 4, 2011 at 8:31 am

you are such a culinary genius.. you amaze me every single day with your recipes!!i will def be making these once i get my hands on some coconut!

megan @ blackberries for jam February 4, 2011 at 9:37 am

These will make a perfect homemade Valentine’s gift for my husband! Thank you!

I’ve been going through a major cookie phase. I love Dreena Burton’s Super Charge Me Cookies, and I’ve also made your carrot cake bites and snickerdoodles several times and they are a hit!

Meghan February 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm

i made these last night, i added more almond milke becasuse they were a little dry. then there was too much almond milk so i froze them. they were so delicious!! (and gluten-free too!) :)

Lana February 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm

I’m on a soup and chili kick. I can’t get enough!

Kelly February 4, 2011 at 5:31 pm

Of all the “healthy food” bloggers out there, I think you are most deserving of a cookbook. You truly give a unique recipe each time, and the fact that you try and fail and try again says a lot about the recipe creation process and your knowledge of such. Just my opinion, though! :)

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner February 4, 2011 at 8:47 pm

I love Chocolate and Dates right now. Like my Choco-Date Muffins and my Chocolate Date Cake (both of which are SF and Vegan). :) Your Macaroons look DIVINE!!! :)

bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 5, 2011 at 9:40 am

i am going to make these for a valentines party next weekend! have you made them smaller before?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Nope I haven’t, but I can’t see why you wouldn’t be able to

Kayla @ Fitterthanchoc February 5, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hi Angela :) I love anything with chocolate, and these look awesome. I was wondering why you’ll use less flour for other types of flours, and whether this will work with gluten free flours?

lindsey February 9, 2011 at 6:20 pm

these are so good! i made them with about 1/4th cup of pb in one batch and it was delicious. thanks for the recipe!