Carob Banana Chia Vegan Overnight Oats

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on February 1, 2011

IMG_0235

Happy February 1st!

I don’t know about you, but I celebrated the end of January this morning. We are one month closer to Spring and for me it is all about the little things in the deep of Winter. Today, we are bracing for a big snowstorm traveling up from the US tonight into Wednesday. If it is anything like I saw on the news, it is going to be a big one! Last night, Eric said we should hit up the grocery store and ‘stock up’ and I had to laugh because we probably have enough food in this house to survive until retirement.

But this post isn’t about Old Man Winter, it is about breakfast!

If you are new to the blog, you might not know about my obsession with Vegan Overnight Oats and Vegan Overnight Oat Parfaits, but a quick glance at my breakfast category on my Recipes page will explain things a bit better. Don’t say I didn’t warn you though.

Vegan Overnight Oats are mixed before you go to bed at night and you do not cook it, so there is literally zero preparation in the morning. You stick the spoon in and you enjoy the doughy goodness.

It is also perfect for those mornings when turning on the stovetop might pose a risk to yourself or others. My melted spatulas thank me.

IMG_0233

IMG_0213

I have been receiving a lot of vegan overnight oat questions, so I thought I would do a quick VOO FAQ.

1. Can I substitute flax seed for chia seeds?

I have heard that you can substitute ground flax for the chia seeds in Vegan Overnight Oats. Once I tried using whole flax seeds and it did not work out great, so I never recommend using whole flax seeds. Because ground flax doesn’t absorb as much liquid as chia seeds, you may have to reduce the amount of milk you use (maybe 1/4 cup). If at all possible, use the chia seeds though because they really work lovely in this recipe.

2. Can I substitute cocoa powder for carob powder?

Carob powder is much sweeter tasting than cocoa powder, so I would not recommend substituting it 1:1. If you do not have carob powder, you could probably use 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder if you wanted to, but the recipe will work without either!

3. Can I use instant oats instead of regular oats?

I have not tried using instant oats before, but maybe a reader has tried this and can comment on this in the comments section? My guess would be that the instant oats do not absorb as much liquid as the regular oats. I also really enjoy the chewiness of the regular oats.

4. I don’t have almond milk, can I use rice, soy, cow’s, hemp, oat, etc. instead?

You can substitute any kind of milk you desire!

5. Is the banana necessary?

The banana (in this recipe) is what gives the VOO some sweetness. If you do not want to use a banana, I would suggest adding 1-2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup to stir in or maybe try using dates. I have also successfully used Vega Choc-o-lot protein powder and it worked great to sweeten it up.

6. Do I cook the Vegan Overnight Oats or heat them in the microwave before eating?

Nope! There is absolutely no cooking involved in this recipe.

IMG_0214IMG_0215

Step 1: Place your oats, chia seeds, walnuts, carob powder, and salt into a bowl and whisk.

IMG_0218 IMG_0221

IMG_0223

Step 2: Pour in 1 cup of Almond Milk (or your choice of milk) and the 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract.

IMG_0224

Whisk well until all the clumps are gone.

IMG_0225

Step 3: Add in the chopped bananas.

IMG_0228

Whisk and smash some of the bananas into the mixture. This will help incorporate the sweetness throughout.

IMG_0230

Step 4: Place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hour, or overnight. During this time, the chia seeds and oats will soak up the liquid and thicken up.

IMG_0231

After 1 hour in the fridge, it looks like this…

IMG_0233

Thick, doughy, chewy, and strangely addicting.

I used to think overnight oats looked so gross (and I guess they still do a bit!), but this is one of my favourite breakfasts now. It really grows on ya, I promise!

IMG_0235

Soooo…the Super Bowl is coming up this Sunday and we are having a couple parties this weekend. This means that I have some food prep to do this week!

My questions to you today are 1) What food should I make for the Super Bowl?, 2) Will you be watching the Super Bowl or making anything fun? Appetizers, finger foods, dips, main entrees, pizza, desserts, drinks? So much to choose from…!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black February 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Looks delicious! I vote for nachos!

[email protected] Sweet Life February 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

I totally agree with you–sunshine and warmth here we come! unfortunately, it is snowing/sleeting in nyc but the days are definitely getting longer. hang in there!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

I noticed the days getting longer too…doesn’t get dark til 5:40pm now! lol. This makes me happy.

Hannah February 23, 2013 at 4:08 am

Hi Angela
Many thanks for all wonderful recipes. I jut bout a carob for this recipes but I realised its darker than what I see in your pictures, I read the label and it says toasted carob
So Im wondering if I can use it or not?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 25, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think it should be fine toasted or not. Let me know how it goes! :)

Kelly February 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

I use instant oats for overnight oats often and it totally works. Rolled oats plump up more as they absorb the liquid, so it appears that you are getting a larger serving and may be more satisfying that way, and of course, they are chewier. The instant oats version is still good, though!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 9:52 am

Thanks Kelly! :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please February 1, 2011 at 9:38 am

I’m glad to see the return of overnight oats – definitely a sign that we’re getting closer to warmer weather!

For the superbowl, I like the idea of all finger foods – mini pizzas, finger sandwiches, egg rolls. Things that are easy to eat one handed and small enough so you can load up with a variety.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Mini pizzas sound fun

Gen February 1, 2011 at 9:39 am

Those oats sound really good!!! Thanks for posting the recipe!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn February 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

I can’t wait to get my hands on some carob! I’ve started making something I call Cookie Dough Bowls, which I use oat bran for and it is my favorite breakfast!

P.s. agreed, flax does NOT absorb as much liquid! Chia seeds absorb a lot though, about 1/3 cup per tablespoon of chips:)

Geneviève February 1, 2011 at 9:40 am

Dips (for nachos) are usually a very popular dish at the Super Bowl parties. Anything warm and gooey will most likely be welcome ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 9:46 am

Mmm I was thinking about a spinach artichoke dip or something like that

lauren February 1, 2011 at 9:44 am

overnight oats rock my world — and make my morning oh-so-satisfying

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat February 1, 2011 at 9:45 am

Great Q&A Ange! Not sure if I’ll be doing a whole lot for the superbowl, but it’s an excuse to make fun food, right? I think you should make some apps… I need more ideas!

Lizzie February 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

We are going to watch the SB with another couple and their adorable almost-1-year-old daughter. Husband is making his delicious chili (and I say that as someone who doesn’t love spicy food or Tex-Mex for that matter – it’s really that good!), friend is making a salad to cool the palate :) Thankfully neither the Patriots or the Jets are involved in the game – much less tension! :)

Erin @ The Grass Skirt February 1, 2011 at 9:47 am

You have totally made me an overnight oats girl…and I have turned just about everyone who I know onto them as well! I’d love to see some of the dips you would come up with for the Super Bowl. I am always looking for new healthier snacky food. :)

Kathi February 1, 2011 at 9:49 am

I LOVE overnight oats! In fact I had them this morning they are the best.
I am attending a superbowl party this weekend as well. When invited to gathering I always try to bring some thing vegan/healthy. Most of the people are not health conscious so I am always trying to show them that being vegan/health isn’t so bad. I haven’t yet decided what to bring I look forward to seeing what everyone suggests maybe it will help me decide. I love your blog so much! It is truly an inspiration to me to keep at this vegan/health diet.

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy February 1, 2011 at 9:58 am

I definitely miss my breakfast overnight oats!! They will be my breakfast of choice as soon as the weather warms up! :)

A vegan spinach artichoke dip sounds amazing!!

Stephanie February 1, 2011 at 10:01 am

I’ve never had overnight oats… EEK!!! I’m kind of scared… I’m going to have to try them when the weather gets a little warmer instead of the 19 degrees it’s supposed to be tomorrow!

The superbowl… I LOVE spinach artichoke dip, it’s probably my all time favorite “snack/party” food. I also love hummus!! And if you make it yourself, it makes a ton! Enough to feed a big crowd for sure!

Lauren at KeepItSweet February 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

You read my mind with the question about cocoa:-) I am saving this for the next time I need to make breakfast to go!

maggie February 1, 2011 at 10:06 am

thanks for this recipe! I love your recipe for strawberry carob VOO but strawberries aren’t really in season now…looking forward to trying this one!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen February 1, 2011 at 10:09 am

Ohh – this combo sounds fantastic!!

Heather February 1, 2011 at 10:10 am

haha – we talked about getting to the grocery store also before this storm hits.

The VOO look yummy – I have everything in my house so I will be trying this tomorrow morning as I watch the snow fall – snow day :)

Lauren February 1, 2011 at 10:12 am

I’m gearing up for the big storm too! These oats look amazing, and I’m always looking for new places to buy ingredients in bulk from.

Kate February 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

I don’t know about instant outs, but quick cooking oats turn out fine!

Laurab @FoodSnobSTL February 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

Make vegan nachos and such dip. Yum!!

Heather (heathers dish) February 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

It’s all about the finger foods, chips, and dips! Can’t wait to see what you come up with!

Laurab @FoodSnobSTL February 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

Haha, I meant spinach dip

Ashley K February 1, 2011 at 10:24 am

Thanks again for the Chia Vegan Overnight Oats!!!

Superbowl Dish: Chopped Avacado Salsa
– 2-3 Avacados
– 1 can black beans
– 1 can corn
– 1 red onion
– 1-2 cups of chopped cherry tomatoe’s
– 1 juice of lime
– Handful of cilantro
– Salt & Pepper
– Crushed Red Pepper & EVOO (if desired)
Chop everything and enjoy with chips, or as topping on veggie burgers or tacos!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) February 1, 2011 at 10:25 am

love overnight oats, esp in the summer… when i’m on the go i just stick them in a mason jar the night before and take it with me in the morning! for now i’ve been on a kick of plain oats (cooked) with a touch of salt and chia seeds, warm and comforting :)

dana @ my little celebration February 1, 2011 at 10:28 am

Yum! Your VOO look so good. I’ve seen a lot of overnight oats recipes but this may be the one that tips me over to try them. Thanks for sharing!

As far as Super Bowl food goes, my favorites were always chili and chips and dips : )

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 1, 2011 at 10:32 am

I use instant oats all the time for overnight oats and it turns out just fine! This recipe looks amazing. Am definitely making it for my breakfast tomorrow :D

Camille February 1, 2011 at 10:38 am

Yum! I was sold at walnuts. I have been seeing them all over the blogosphere lately which is giving me mad walnut cravings!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit February 1, 2011 at 10:45 am

We did the same thing last weekend when the big storm hit Calgary. Ran to the grocery store Thursday night to avoid having to leave the house. But, really… we have enough food here to feed an army. After Christmas dinner at our house, my 13 year old cousin turned to me and said “If there’s ever a famine… I’m coming to your house” and then she passed out on the living room floor. Case and point, haha.

What to make for super bowl… how about bacon wrapped figs? You can use vegan bacon, of course! Yves makes a good one – http://www.yvesveggie.ca/index.php/products/product/veggie_bacon_strips/ or Morning Star, but we don’t have that in Alberta, not sure if you have it over in Ontario…

Veggie Bacon Wrapped Figs
* 15 strips of veggie bacon
* 1 package dried figs (should contain 15-18 figs)
* 15 pistachio nuts, unsalted
* 15 basil leaves
* 15 spinach leaves
* 1 tsp salt

1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Cut a slit in each fig and open the two sides up like a book. Place nut inside the slit and add a dash of salt (I used Himalayan rock salt to add to the mineral content of the dish)
3. Place basil leaf, spinach, and fig on bacon and roll until the seam of the bacon is at the bottom of the roll
4. Place seam side down in a casserole dish [you can use a toothpick to secure]
6. Bake for 10 minutes

Or, you could try pesto veggie discs. These things are unreal!!

Pesto Veggie Discs
* 1/2 cup walnuts, soaked 2 hours and drained
* 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked 2 hours and drained
* 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
* 1 handful fresh spinach leaves
* 4 cloves garlic, pressed
* 1 fresh red pepper, seeded and minced
* 3 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
* 1/2 teaspoon himalayan rock salt
* 3 roma tomatoes
* 2 medium zucchini
* dash of hot sauce (optional, my bf really likes it)
* Additional chopped tomatoes, shredded fresh basil and/or raw pine nuts, to garnish

1) Place walnuts, sundried tomatoes, basil leaves, spinach, garlic, pepper, and olive oil. You may also add a little water if pesto is still too thick. Put pesto in a bowl and stir in salt. It’s best if you leave the pesto overnight to allow the flavors to combine, but it’s not required.

2) Slice roma tomatoes and zucchini into 1/4″ discs. Spread pesto onto vegetable discs and garnish with chopped tomatoes, shredded basil, and pine nuts.

These are always a huge hit at our house. Have fun!

Allison February 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

Amazing, as usual. Carob is king.

Amber K February 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

I eat overnight oats every morning, although I use greek yogurt instead of milk. I like how much thicker it is.

For superbowl I’m making a 7-layer bean dip and I’m going to try dessert hummus for the first time. It sounds odd enough to be good!

Jodi February 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

Wow! This looks great. I will have to get some carob powder and chia seeds for this.

For Superbowl, you should make mini potato skins! I made them for a party and they were a huge hit. I used small potatoes, like really small baby red potatoes or fingerling potatoes work awesome in this dish, so people can pick up just one and pop it in their mouth. When you use a larger potato it gets more messy and it is no longer finger food – you need a fork and knife! I just precooked the potatoes a little, then added vegan cheese, bac’n bits, dollop of sour cream, and chives/scallion, and they come out incredible.

Ashley February 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

I haven’t made these in WAY too long AND I just bought carob powder for the first time. :) Yummm

Wendy February 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

I too have a love affair with overnight oats. I like em for any meal of the day! I’m so making this for dinner tonight!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman February 1, 2011 at 10:51 am

That does look good, but I’m not sure I could resist the urge to warm it up.

Oh, and great Q&A. I had no idea carob powder was sweeter than cocoa powder. Good to know!

Shanna February 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

Hmm, I’d love to have you make a vegan artichoke dip since I loath cream cheese and sour cream!

OSGMOM February 1, 2011 at 10:59 am

My vote would be for a Healthy recipe of the 7 layer Dip.

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment February 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

As a New England Patriots fan, I’m still smarting from the loss to the evil Jets – but I’ll be watching and cheering for Aaron Rogers and the Packers just the same! I think he has shown nothing but class these past few years with all the Favre hype, and he deserves to finally shut the media up. (Well, and anything to keep Big Ben and the Terrible Towel from another ring! ;) )

I think we’re watching at my “in-law’s” (we’re not married, thus the finger quotation marks!). and I have a feeling our viewing is going to include a lot of non-nutritious foods and beer, so I’m going to try to keep things on the healthier side – vegetarian chili with a side of ground beef or turkey crumbles so people can add their own, a crudite platter with tzatziki and hummus, and mini margharita crostini :) I’m not a vegetarian or vegan, but with all the wings and sausage bound to be around, someone has to supply the veggies!

Christy February 8, 2011 at 10:44 am

Love the idea of meat on the side!

I am so hungry after reading everyone’s super bowl ideas!

Michelle February 1, 2011 at 11:11 am

I’ve been making the pumpkin VOO’s. I still end up heating it up in the microwave for a couple of minutes in the morning because it has been so cold here. They are sooo yummy!

Alexandra (Veggin' Out in the Kitchen) February 1, 2011 at 11:11 am

That looks SO good!!!! I love carob! Overnight oats make for such easy mornings :)

Stacie @ Imperfectly Healthy February 1, 2011 at 11:17 am

Recipes like these make me wish I wasn’t allergic to bananas!

[email protected] February 1, 2011 at 11:19 am

I’m making artichoke and crab dip- and maybe chicken wing dip, too!

Moni'sMeals February 1, 2011 at 11:22 am

I am a big fan of “miniture” anything for snack food! The cutier the better. I know you will get creative for the Super Bowl.

I am laughing because our oats today are sooooo similiar!

Have a great day. :)

Erin February 1, 2011 at 11:27 am

Yes, I too have you to thank for my VOO mania! I make endless varieties, but I usually incorporate a spoonful of hemp seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I have found that if I use Yu vanilla basmati rice milk and throw in a spoonfull of currants or raisins, it tastes exactly like rice pudding – yum!

Marina February 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

Can’t wait for the spring, this winter is getting me depressed. Overnight oats are so awesome, I love them, now that I’ve learned how to make them properly :)

Andrea B. February 1, 2011 at 11:36 am

We love to do parties where we whip up a bunch of dips and then provide all sorts of dippable things and then everyone can make their own combos of what they dip in what. I just did this type of party on the weekend (your hummus was big hit by the way!) I used 2 different hummus dips, your fruit dip, a nacho bean dip, a cookie dough dip, salsa and a spinach dip. For my “dippables” (is this even a word??) I used raw veggies, nachos, fruit, animal crackers, pretzels, bread, flatbreads and pita chips. It was a huge hit with the men and the women and everything was vegetarian so I could eat EVERYTHING (which I’m ashamed to say I did :-)

Roz February 1, 2011 at 11:43 am

The oats look delicous. And I love your comment “we have enough food here to last until retirement” but your husband wants to stock up in case you are snowed in! Have a good day, stay warm!!!

Bronwyn Coyne February 1, 2011 at 11:45 am

Haha, I like all the FAQs about the overnight oats.

I would say lots of finger foods, or entrees you could eat with your fingers. And a dessert of course. Are you going to be making all vegan food?

Amanda (Eating Up) February 1, 2011 at 11:54 am

I’m excited to see what you make for the Super Bowl!

Ashley February 1, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Spinach artichoke dip and homemade hummus for our party, along with a place of delicious nachos:) I’d like to make some kind of delicious sparkling punch drink– maybe something with hibiscus tea, lemonade, and rosewater with club soda!

Namaste Gurl February 1, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Everybody’s cooking and using carob these days– well, bloggers, that is :)
I need to get me some, but it’s quite expensive, and my bulk doesn’t sell it. For now I’ve just been using cocoa powder, but carob is definitely on my list!

Alex @ Healing Beauty February 1, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Chili dip with avocado! I have never tried carob and I am little hesitant to for some reason

[email protected] February 1, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I’m definitely going to busy myself making some yummy superbowl treats since I’m not at all interested in the game :-)

Nicole February 1, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I have a whole lot of chia seeds, but I just have no idea what to do with them. I’m thinking this would be perfect!

Sabrina February 1, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Kale chips (aka crunchie kale) I made it for the first time today and its really good and healthy to! Like marrying the man you love and finding out he is rich.
Sabrina
ps I got the recipe off of youtube but its pretty much kale pieces with olive oil and salt or nutritional yeast baked in the oven for 10-15 mins.

LisaG February 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I’m going to a neighborhood superbowl pre-party. I will probably take stuffed shrooms, mediterranean kabobs, &/or pimento cheese made with Daiya. Can’t wait to see what you concoct.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 1, 2011 at 12:49 pm

I love overnight oats, but not in the winter. Once in a blue moon during the cold months I’ll crave overnight oats though. I can’t wait for it to warm up… well, after our blizzard that is! I’m pumped about the blizzard that’s going to hit Chicago!

rachel February 1, 2011 at 1:23 pm

just discovered your website! i can tell i will be a huge fan! i can’t wait to try this recipe and the green monster one!

thanks for blogging!

Ally February 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm

I am soooo dreading the storm too – it is supposed to hit Michigan around 7pm tonight… Why can’t it be summer?!

Your overnight oats look amazingggg… Sometime I like to nix it up and eat things that are supposed to be hot, cold – especially chilled soup :)

[email protected] February 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I tried Overnight oats for the firrst time a couple weeks ago and now I’m obsessed!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 1, 2011 at 1:29 pm

Mmmmm… VOO… can’t wait for it to warm up so I can fully enjoy them in the morning again!

I use chocolate protein powder in mine rather than carob powder and it works well. Would love to try carob at some point tho.

My Super Bowl treats are going to be a variety of baked wonton cups. You get some crunch and the chance to play with different flavor combos!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter February 1, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Great post! I love overnight oats in the summertime, but its just too cold for them right now.

Caitlin @the permanent life February 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Agreed! Love them but only have them once in a while in the winter

Heather February 1, 2011 at 1:45 pm

I LOVE overnight oats! I have tried making them with instant oats also and it works well too, just less chewy! Yum!

Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com February 1, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oooh this looks good! I make something similar with oats, yogurt and almond milk but I really like the idea of skipping the yogurt and subbing in cocoa and nuts. This would be killer cold or hot!

You should make fried (or baked) black bean sweet potato balls! They are so good and really easy to make!

[email protected] February 1, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Angela, it’s because of your and the VOOs that I started to eat really healthy in the morning and slowly my eating pattern has changed! Oh VOO how I love thee. :D oooohhh maybe you should re-create a vegan/healthified spinach artichoke dip or something of that sort : P

Katy (The Singing Runner) February 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Looks fantastic, but for some reason, I can’t get over the texture of Overnight Oats. :/

Meredith February 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Mmm I had VOO for breakfast this morning! I do like to pop it in the microwave for a few seconds, just enough to take the chill off.

For party food, I like warm dips served with homemade focaccia bread. And beer, of course :D

Chelsey (Cookteen) February 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I’m making these roasted carrots again!! They are SOOOO GOOD and are a healthy break from all the chips and dips :)

Tania (RunToRadiance) February 1, 2011 at 2:17 pm

BOO you winter!!! Go away!! LOL. I’m currently in the icky ice/snow/wind storm but luckily it’s not too awful here! :)

Lori February 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Mmmmm, overnight oats. I need to make these again!! For super bowl food, anything small is always fun. Dips are great, salsa, maybe a super healthy vegan ranch dip. A spin off of your raw cookie dough cookies would be yummy!! Thanks for all of the great recipes!

Christine (The Raw Project) February 1, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This looks wonderful, I need to try overnight oats!

Last Superbowl I did raw vegan burgers with collard wraps, raw ketchup and hemp nacho sauce – it was a pretty big hit with my non-vegan family. This year we may not watch it at all, if the weather’s nice, it might be a perfect, uncrowded day to head into the mountains for snow fun.

Kathryn February 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I’ve used steel cut oats as well. They don’t soak up as much liquid but I like them, really chewy and perfect for parfaits with banana soft serve.

Clare @ Fitting It All In February 1, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Most definitely use regular oats! I made the mistake of using quick oats and ground flax my first time, and it was much too liquid. Your recommendations are spot on:)

Ashley February 1, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Sunshine will be here soon :D I’m not really in to football so I won’t be watching :/

Rachel February 1, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Make spinach artichoke dip!! My fav, except never had a vegan version!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) February 1, 2011 at 3:09 pm

Your overight oats look so cream and delish! And the carob powder….I am more of a cocoa powder girl. I dont usually keep carob powder on hand but after seeing these, i need to pick some up.

Love your tips on the VOO’s.

And your recipes page…OMG that took you more than 4 minutes :)
CONGRATS and THANK YOU as i know that was about as much fun as watching paint dry. Thank you, Angela for taking all that time to do that! :)

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 1, 2011 at 3:25 pm

As far as the instant oats go, you can definitely use them but cut back on the liquid- instead of 1 cup, I’d use 1/2-2/3 cup (depending on how loose you like them), otherwise you’ll end up with liquidy oats!

MeagAlayne February 1, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Do the walnuts get soggy soaking overnight? I’d be inclined to add them on the top in the morning since I like mine to add a bit of crunch! Just wondering… :)

Baking 'n' Books February 1, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Looks so good!

What do you think about adding brown sugar to oatmeal? Do you stay away from sugars?

Julie (A Case of the Runs) February 1, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I use carob in my oats, too! People always knock it for not being like chocolate, but it’s supposed to be good in its own right…. right?!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking February 1, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Mmm I love the doughy texture of overnight oats! I haven’t had them in a while because the cold weather makes me crave a hot breakfast in the morning, but this version looks too good to pass up until warmer weather hits. :)

Rebecca February 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Love your site! Enjoying your recipes here in Paris :) I’m a huge breakfast fan and love oats and muesli. Have some form of them pretty much every day. I’m curious- if you don’t soak the oats and eat them raw as muesli or toasted in the oven (like granola which I am into lately) does it still have the same health benefit as overnight muesli or hot oatmeal? Thanks!

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond February 1, 2011 at 4:43 pm

You should make some kind of a dip and hummus. I will be getting the 7 layer dip from whole foods they allways have it around super bowl time, not a very healthy one but super bowl happens only once a year so I guess I have the excuse to eat anything.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables February 1, 2011 at 4:48 pm

You have me totally hooked on Vegan Overnight Oats! The other day I went to bed and then got up at like 11 because I realized I didn’t make my oats for the next morning!!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life February 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

I will be watching the super bowl and actually can’t wait. I haven’t even started thinking about munchies for the big game yet. I think I better start today though. I wouldn’t want to let down the hungry football guys!

Little Bookworm February 1, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for this post. I plan to try this recipe soon with ground flaxseed as it sounds amazing! :D

Mel February 1, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Recipe looks delish! I am planning on making my first green monster tomorrow! Does is make a difference if I use a fresh vs frozen banana?

Maria February 1, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Can you use steel cut oats and soak them overnight without boiling them first?

Livvy February 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

LOVE IT!!! I had literally the EXACT same brekkie yesterday, only mine had cocoa powder instead of carob, plus I used pecans and cocoa almonds in lieu of the walnuts. So funny that you just posted it too, but VOO are sooo delicious:)

Emma February 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

yet another time saver! thanks, Angela!!! :) I am a true believer that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and its naturally the most rushed. so pre-prepared, healthy meals are ideal

Amy @ purewellnessamy February 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I had overnight oats this morning, too!

While I was shoveling today, I thought about black bean burger *sliders* topped with avocado and a bit a fresh salsa as a Superbowl snack …And ff course, hummus, veggies and pita chips is a standard!

Zestful Lou February 1, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Did you catch Oprah today? It was all about vegan diets…very interesting episode!

bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 1, 2011 at 6:29 pm

dang, i meant to tune DVR that!

Lisa February 1, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Check your tv menu it comes on again @ 10:00 tonight in Georgia. Thanks.

Sarah Dean February 1, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I cant seem to find chia seeds anywhere I have looked. Where do you buy them?

bree marsh @ deliciously dense February 1, 2011 at 6:29 pm

OMG, i am doing this tonight! i have everything! will do cocoa instead of carob though, i actually like the bitterness of unsweetened cocoa powder, it is my new obsession! i make a killer chocolate coconut smoothie with it, very similar to this recipe! i am super excited to see how everything melds together overnight! thanks!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh February 1, 2011 at 6:39 pm

All my favorite ingredients in one bowl =]!! We are watching the super bowl, but not sure what we are makin yet! We usually try and make the food that comes from the particular city of the team we are rooting for =]

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) February 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Not sure yet what the plans for Sunday are… we like to wing it ;) I am thinking about making a Mexican 7 layer dip with homemade, seasoned pita crisps. Nothing like a dip that remind me of when I was a kiddo!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 1, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I tried overnight oats once and I wasn’t a fan! This does look pretty darn good though, so maybe they deserve another shot…

I won’t be watching the Superbowl because I have an exam on Monday. :( But if I were, I’d probably make things like guacamole and bruschetta. They’re always big hits with my friends!

Sasha February 1, 2011 at 7:09 pm

I love the idea of the vegan overnight oats and have tried it. However I have never liked the warm oatmeal texture or porridge. I wonder what you could put in the VOO to make it more of a crunchy and less mushy. Maybe a heartier grain soaked some nuts? I don’t know it’s a texture thing for me. If you have any idea’s let me know.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Maybe you could stir in some crunchy granola right before eating…or use nuts throughout?

Baking 'n' Books February 1, 2011 at 8:56 pm

I’ve never tried it but maybe toasted quinoa or millet or something? Just a thought…personally, I love granola ;)

jenn February 1, 2011 at 7:24 pm

my issue as of late if that i only have steel cut oats…can you use them for overnight oats?

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Im not sure, sorry. Maybe someone else knows! :)

Alaina February 1, 2011 at 8:36 pm

For me, steel cut oats work ONLY as overnight oats. But I make mine in the crockpot so they they cook all night. I have the recipe on my blog! They are delicious. :-)

For Super Bowl, I love chicken wings and nachos.

laura February 1, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Yummy!
I love your oats recipes :)

Hannah February 1, 2011 at 8:16 pm

How funny: you’re looking forward to spring because it’s too cold where you are, and I can’t wait for autumn because it’s unbearably hot where I am! And luckily for me, overnight oats are the perfect hot-weather breakfast :)

Lou February 1, 2011 at 8:35 pm

we really don’t need to cook the oats? that’s cool.
and no instant oat doesn’t work i’ve tried using those for baking once and it did not go well the oats swelled up in water.
i’ve never tried chia seeds but i shall give it a shot! :)

JenATX February 1, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I LOVE VOO! I was introduced to them this summer & I ate ’em everyone morning :)
As for the Super Bowl, I’ll share my menu w/ you for inspiration (it has options for the meat eaters): 7 layer dip, guacamole, hummus & veggies, pigs in a blanket, spinach pies, & brownies mmmm oh & beer duh!

Sara February 1, 2011 at 10:30 pm

Hah I just did a post on game day eats, and even linked back to one of your recipes that we love as a finger food! :)

Anna Crouch February 1, 2011 at 10:53 pm

I can answer a few of the Q’s you posted for the overnight oats :)

When I’ve used instant oats in my overnight oats, they turn out mushy and nasty. Regular oats are way better.

I typically make my VOO with 1tbl of cocoa powder and it still turns out great! Of course I love the rich flavor of the cocoa. Some people may not.

I’ve also tried ground flax seed instead of chia seeds (when I ran out of chia) and it was a huge disappointment. Definitely doesn’t soak up enough liquid and the flavor of the flax stands out, where as the chia seeds soak up whatever flavor you mix in. Not to mention the texture! Ground flax makes it grainy…chia is…bubbly and beautiful :)

Also, check out this article the Reader’s Digest published

I think I have to disagree, to an extent. I’ve learned from personal experience that if I eat no breakfast, I eat like MAD the whole day. If I eat a light breakfast, I’m generally hungry for lunch by 10, dinner by 3:30 and then I eat too much at night! But if I eat a satisfying breakfast, that sustains me til lunch, I eat lighter meals the rest of the day and feel satisfied. I’d say I generally eat less calories when I fill up on breakfast. However, what the study doesn’t show is if some of those people exercise (who eat larger breakfasts), burn more calories, and in turn eat more, due to their level of activity. I know I’m way more hungry in the morning, after a work out day, the day before. Plus, if I’m working out a lot, I NEED to eat a good breakfast to make it through my workout and do my best! Too many variables to make such a definite conclusion.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011 at 9:09 am

Thanks for your input to the questions! :)

Interesting link too…there was a study a little while ago saying that big breakfasts (upwards of 700 cals!) were the best for weight maintenance. I would be interested in reading the full article to see how they controlled for variables.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) February 2, 2011 at 12:35 am

Nope … won’t be watching the Superbowl … I only watch games that the Riders are playing in :-)

Rebecca February 2, 2011 at 12:41 am

Love your site! Enjoying your recipes here in Paris I’m a huge breakfast fan and love oats and muesli. Have some form of them pretty much every day. I’m curious- if you don’t soak the oats and eat them raw as muesli or toasted in the oven (like granola which I am into lately) does it still have the same health benefit as overnight muesli or hot oatmeal? Thanks!

Lindsay @ EatLocal365 February 2, 2011 at 9:03 am

The promise of these oats sitting in my fridge yanked me out of bed and got me doing yoga this morning! I used 1T cocoa powder and just a touch of honey.

Thanks for all the creative vegan recipes! I’m not vegan, more of a conscientious omnivore, but variety is the spice of life. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 2, 2011 at 9:05 am

hehe so cute!

Leslie Paquette February 7, 2011 at 10:35 pm

I just love your blog! I have been reading it pretty much every chance I’ve had over the last few days. There are so manu recipes I can’t wait to try I don’t even know where to begin. I made the peanut butter swirl pancakes and they were incredible! I was impressed with how well they held together. I just made the recipe above and can’t wait to try it! It’s my first experience with overnight oats. I usually eat steel cut oats, but I’m not sure if those would soften up enough. Have you ever made VOO with them? Thanks, Leslie

Leslie Paquette February 8, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Yum!!!! This is my new favorite breakfast. Thanks so much for the recipe. I love that all the prep is done the night before and it’s portable with no microwave required. I can’t wait to try some variations on this.

Michelle February 9, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I’m addicted. I am absolutely addicted to VOO. This is exactly the kind of thing I’ve been looking for. I love that you can spice it up so you can virtually eat it all of the time and never get bored. I’m glad I stumbled upon your blog a week ago. I’m hooked!

Audrey April 18, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Would it be possible to replaced the oats with another grain?

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

You might be able to use spelt flakes or quinoa flakes, although I havent tried them myself. Let me know how it goes!

Anna June 6, 2012 at 12:21 am

Can you use steel cut oatmeal rather than regular oats? Or is there much of a difference?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

No I wouldnt suggest using steel cut oats…they dont get creamy like regular rolled oats.

Julie June 11, 2012 at 7:29 pm

I really think you should give gingerbread cookie overnight oats a whirl. Yum for Christmas!

Brandy Wilson July 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I was wondering I can’t find the carob powder in the town I live. What can I use in replace of carob powder. I have carob chips an regular cocoa powder?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 9, 2012 at 7:35 am

I dont know of anything that recplaces carob powder since it’s sweet and cocoa powder isn’t. I would suggest using 1 tbsp cocoa powder, but adding liquid sweetener to the mixture too as it will be bitter.

Heidi February 10, 2013 at 8:58 am

I use premium Ghirardelli Hot chocolate mix and it works great. I just use the same measurement as in the recipe.

Angie August 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Hi Angela, you really are an inspiration to me. I’ve just started a blog – mainly for me to keep track of things and feel like I need to be accountable on the road to health… I did just reference you – I hope that’s okay? — I’m not wanting to break any “blogging rules”!!! http://thre3littlebirds.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/healthy-eats/

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thank you Ill take a look!

Robin August 15, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Angela – have you ever made VOO with steel cut oats?

Robin August 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Actually, I just read your response to a commenter above. Nevermind!

Lori January 31, 2013 at 9:05 pm

Hi Angela,

I’m making the overnight oats before I go to sleep. Can’t wait to have this in the morning. Thanks for all these great recipes!

Kerry Binggeli February 1, 2013 at 1:52 am

You article is well written. I enjoy reading your blog.

Heidi February 10, 2013 at 8:54 am

We love this dish at our house. Three kids and never one complaint. My 5yr old doesn’t like it cold so I just put hers in the micro for about 20-30 to take the chill off. I always make a triple batch and use the homemade oat milk from your blog! :) I actually sub Ghirardelli premium hot chocolate for carob/cocoa…super good! Thanks for all your great recipes.

Kat April 14, 2013 at 1:48 am

I’m so happy to have stumbled upon your recipe. It’s TERRIFIC!

I made a few changes because of what I have on hand and regularly use:

> Substituted 2 tsp Raw Cacao Powder for the 1 TBSP Carob Powder
> Substituted Flax Seed Meal for Chia Seeds … used same amount as recipe
> Used 1/2 Banana (half is plenty sweet for me)

And did not use nuts or maple syrup.

The vanilla extract really added to it … would never have thought of that.

I absolutely loved it and can see this being a regular breakfast for me. Thank You :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm

Hey Kat, Welcome! So glad you are enjoying the blog so far. Thanks for sharing your recipe modifications! I always love to hear how others make them. Take care, Angela

Amber September 5, 2013 at 8:30 am

I love your blog! It was a huge inspiration in terms of me eating plant based and continues to be one!

Just wondering how many days in advance you think this can be made – ie could I make a batch at the beginning of the week and store it in jars? If so for how long? and also, what are your thoughts on oat groats for this and other recipes?

Thanks for being so amazing and inspiring!
xx

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 5, 2013 at 10:25 am

Hey Amber,
It should keep for 3-4 days in a container in the fridge. Hope this helps!

Rikki Stolle November 23, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Can you do a big batch of overnight oats to leave in the fridge? How long would they last?

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 24, 2013 at 9:28 am

They probably last no more than 2-3 days in the fridge?

Some like it raw December 15, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I could not help but have a taste of my breakfast for tomorrow morning, it is divine! It looks like alot of food though, I only put in 1/2 banana. Can one put on weight eating raw, or does the body just turn it into super-fuel and no need to be concerned. I have been eating raw for almost a month now and I feel like my food is supercharged. I have been looking for a style of eating that works for me and I think I am finally on the right path. I am really enjoying this site and looking forward to more glowing from within! Much gratitude!!

Christine November 10, 2015 at 8:07 am

I tried using carob as a substitute for cocoa powder in an oatmeal recipe once. It tasted dreadful. I thought that I hated carob. It has a funny smell in the canister too. However, this recipe made me change my mind completely! I loved how the flavors blended overnight and how the banana provided bites of sweetness. The chia seeds gave it a pudding-like texture which I enjoyed. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I was skeptical, but it tasted great!

Mike Lang March 12, 2017 at 12:00 am

I make these every night now to eat them every morning. I use cacao powder and they’re great. I also don’t bother with the vanilla extract or salt or maple syrup and I don’t miss them! Probably my favourite (and easiest) recipe ever.

Valentine April 20, 2018 at 7:49 am

Thank you so much for this amazing recipe. The oats are no doubt amazing. I’m warming to play with Carob and will surely be trying it for my breakfast.