Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Bonjour =)

I’m loving the discussion going on in the Daily Glow Graduation Fears…it’s honest, real, and inspiring.

On Friday, I was feeling extra motivated (which doesn’t happen much in the Winter!), so I decided to get my long run completed a couple days early.

IMG_9373

[I was also tickled pink when I found my workout tank that was missing for months!]

I’m up to 8 miles for my long run this week and it felt so nice to check it off the list. I ran the 8 miles at incline 1% in 78 minutes.

Unfortunately, some of the miles ticked by ever so slowly…and I concluded that a long run on the treadmill is a test of mental strength more than anything. I had to convince myself that I could do it over and over and over again. I know I have the physical stamina, I just need to work on my mental stamina while running indoors. And I remind myself that cursing is sometimes necessary.

To help beat the boredom, I watched The Devil Wears Prada and I also did mini-tempo intervals during the run. I started at 6.0 mph and with each 400 metres, I increased the speed by 0.1 mph until I reached 6.6 mph, and then I repeated the interval. It helped for the first few miles, but then I got tired and said to hell with it and ran at 6.0 mph for the rest of the way. lol.

After the run, I was craving a cold, satisfying smoothie.

IMG_0143

Do you notice anything sad about this picture below?

IMG_0145

What about now?

IMG_0146

That would be the end of My Favourite Granola stash! Tragic….just tragic, my friends.

IMG_0157

I really enjoyed this Carrot Cake smoothie! It has a yummy carrot cake flavour while packing in 2 servings of veggies. Just make sure you blend it until fully smooth– you don’t want a grainy texture from the carrots.

IMG_0142

Slurp.

Shower.

My post-run fuel usually looks something like this….

IMG_9763

I love open-faced, toasted sandwiches on sprouted grain bread. Did I mention I pretty much only eat my bread toasted? Weird eh? The only time I do not toast bread is when it is fresh baked bread, otherwise I find that sprouted grain bread is wonderful toasted.

I’m currently crazy about Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted grain bread. Anyone tried this brand before? I buy it at my wholesaler, Ontario Natural Food Coop.

IMG_9545

I made some quick homemade guacamole (mashed 1 avocado, squirt of lime, red onion, olive oil, & kosher salt) with some protein-packed lentils and tomato sauce. It was a random, yet incredible combo!

I had it with a sliced apple and the dangerously delicious Chocolate Pecan Butter.

IMG_9764

5 minutes to prepare or less. You really can’t beat that when you are about to chew your arm off.

One of our dinners last week was this Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad, inspired by the amazing (and increasingly veggie-loving!) Mark Bittman.

IMG_9960

These are the changes I made to the original recipe:

• I cut down the oil from 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil to just 3 tbsp (and it still tasted amazing!).
  • I added ground cumin as this goes well with anything lime flavoured
  • I used 2 garlic cloves instead of 1
  • I used a yellow onion because I did not have a red onion
  • I used 1/2 cup of Cilantro because that was all I had (instead of 1 cup)

It still turned out INCREDIBLE!

First, roast the sweet potato and onion…

IMG_9910-2

Meanwhile, make the dressing.

IMG_9922

IMG_9926

Mix together the lime juice, garlic, minced Cilantro, kosher salt, pepper, and oil.

IMG_9932-2

Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans.

IMG_9935-2

When the veggies are done, mix it all together!

IMG_9953-2

IMG_9969-2

The result is an array of savoury and tangy flavours. It is warm and comforting from the soft bites of sweet potato while the dressing gives it such a fresh and unexpected kick. We just loved it.

IMG_9960

Now if you’ll excuse me, it appears I have a little granola issue to address. ;)

1 Nikki T January 30, 2011

I also love the Silver Hills bread…toasted as well!
I get it at Costco.
I’m very tempted to try out that smoothie….here’s to hoping my blender can handle the carrot!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Oh I didn’t know you could get it at Costco! I will have to compare prices :)

3 Rochel @ barefootandcooking January 30, 2011

Indoor exercising is completely mental. I find I just need to distract myself with anything to get through it.

4 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 30, 2011

I agree. a 5 mile run is fun to me outdoors, even when freezing cold, but just plain tedious on a treadmill! at some point I just don’t know where to look anymore?

5 Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 30, 2011

Yum! Warm salads are so underrated.

6 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 30, 2011

OH my goodness girl, you hit us with a double-whammy home run!! I love carrot cake, and anything in slurpable form is a hit in my book:) Oh, and anything loaded with sweet potatoes = git in mah belly! xoxox

7 Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 30, 2011

The bean and potato warm salad looks great! I love limey dressings (that sounds gross haha).

8 Allison @ OneWhiteTulip January 30, 2011

I did six miles on the treadmill a few weeks ago. I wanted to die of boredom. And I was switching between watching TV, attempting to read magazines, listening to music, doing hill intervals, and eavesdropping on the lady next to me (I was at the gym, haha). Winter needs to end soon!

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

hahaah

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 30, 2011

I may have to make that sweet potato and black bean salad today. ;)

11 Meredith January 30, 2011

So many great food ideas in this post – I’ll have to make that salad ASAP!

12 Baking 'n' Books January 30, 2011

You are incredible! I guess you run inside and have your own ‘mill – not running in the snow in tank-tops? ;) Do you do it before your breakfast?

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I don’t have a set time that I usually run, but lately I have been loving the lunch hour! Seems to be when I have most energy.

14 Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 30, 2011

That Carrot Cake Smoothie looks delicious! I love Carrot Cake! :-)

15 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 30, 2011

Oddly enough, I pretty much never eat my bread toasted! I like it chewy and airy.

16 Tina January 30, 2011

That smoothie sounds delicious! Despite the cold weather I have been craving cold smoothies as well! I only eat my bread toasted as well. I prefer the crunch! :)

17 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 30, 2011

Oh my goodness, everything looks delicious! I can’t wait to try the carrot cake smoothie. I think I have all the ingredients on hand. Score!

18 Alex @ Healing Beauty January 30, 2011

I think the black bean and sweet potato would make a very satisfying and filling meal, and I love the combination of the sweet and salty flavors. Can’t wait to try it and the carrot cake smoothie! Love the pictures by the way!

19 Emily January 30, 2011

Ahhh my mental strength for treadmill running is so weak! I can only get through it with intervals because I know that I have to pay attention and that it keeps changing! Distance running for me is always outdoors (which isnt happening in New England right now). Love the squash and black bean recipe!

20 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 30, 2011

Long treadmill runs are definitely all about the mental stamina, so well done!! :D

Carrot cake smoothie?! Sounds delicious! And I’m totally bookmarking that salad! Sweet potato + black beans = heaven! :)

21 Ashley January 30, 2011

I get bored so easily on the treadmill, when I do intervals the time goes by much more quickly. That smoothie is mouth watering, so is that salad. I have growing list of food I need to make when I get near a fully equipped kitchen.

22 Jacquelyn January 30, 2011

I only eat bread toasted unless it’s a fresh loaf too!
Also, that salad looks amazing! I’ve got a can of black beans in my pantry and I’ve been thinking of what to do with them that’s not a veggie burger.

23 Emily January 30, 2011

Great job with your eight mile run! I did five miles yesterday and that’s the most I’ve ever done on the treadmill. It wasn’t as horrific as I thought it would be! :)

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

good job! :)

25 Jin January 30, 2011

I LOVE silver hills sprouted bread. Too bad here in Ontario it’s usually in the frozen section.

I’m originally from Vancouver, currently in Toronto for school and one thing I really miss is reasonably fresh Silver Hills squirelly bread that is not frozen! They’re from Abbosford, BC and so we would always get them right off the shelves nice and ‘soft’ (soft as sprouted breads get) from our local farmers market.

Your salad looks great! Can’t wait to try it when I actually get a real kitchen….next year… hmmph!

Have a great day:D

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I would love to have this bread fresh + soft! Must pop in if I am ever there someday :)

27 Gen January 30, 2011

Great job on your run! I would have probably just given up…unless I had a smoothie waiting for me! =D
That sweet potato salad looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

28 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 30, 2011

hmmmmmmm what an interesting recipe – but I just can’t get into cilantro, not a fan . . . perhaps I will try it without, or give it a little changeroo . . . this would be great to pack for lunches to take to school

29 Maya January 30, 2011

I feel the same way about swimming! I know I have the stamina for it but it’s so tedious and boring. I feel so accomplished when I finish!

30 Stefanie @TheNewHealthy January 30, 2011

This looks delicious! Sweet potatoes and black beans are to of my favorite foods, so of course I love them together! :)

31 Picky Nicky January 30, 2011

That smoothie looks incredibly refreshing :) Good thing I have a big bag of carrots in the fridge just waiting to be used up!!

32 Little Bookworm January 30, 2011

That smoothie sounds really interesting! Love carrot cake porridge so maybe I’ll try the smoothie soon. :)

33 Charlie January 30, 2011

This salad sounds soooo good! Makes me think of you’re sweet potato chickpea salad, that I make all the time!

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Yes it reminds me of that too! Just a dif. lime flavour :)

35 Livvy January 30, 2011

Yum that all looks so amazing! Your pictures are incredible too, btw:) I happen to have all of the Carrot Cake smoothie ingredients, and I have a workout scheduled for 1:00…so you know what I’m making right afterwards:) Thanks for the recipe! I just really hope my Cuisinart blender thing will whip that carrot into shape!

36 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 30, 2011

That sweet potato salad looks so delicious!

37 Vegan Snorkeler January 30, 2011

I’m at the point where I’m realizing that running on the treadmill, as much as I hate it, is better than not running at all. Cursing will definitely be necessary to get through it!

I need a veggie smoothie to add to my routine, this one looks perfect. I’ll make it this week! Thanks for the recipe!

38 Katie January 30, 2011

The combination of sweet potato and black beans will never ever get boring. And cilantro only us its appeal for me.

39 laura January 30, 2011

Silver Hills is my fav! have you tried mack’s flax[green] or squirelly[red]?
Great recieps, cant wait to try them.

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

not yet! IM currently working on 10 frozen loaves of the big 16 I think its called (bought in bulk!) hehe

41 Bronwyn Coyne January 30, 2011

Silver Hills is only my FAVOURITE store-bought bread!!! :D Also it’s from Vancouver so I feel so “local” when I purchase it. :p

42 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I was really excited to find a Canadian Sprouted bread too…I had been buying only ezekiel bread for a couple years. I love all the flavours that SH has too!

43 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2011

I can never stay motivated enough to do long distances on the treadmill! It must help a bit to be able to watch whatever you want on your tv. There’s never anything worth watching on the tvs at my gym. :P

44 Ashley @ Taste for Healthy January 30, 2011

Carrot Cake Smoothie… what a brilliant idea! I just need to find some vanilla protein powder.. Smoothies that pack in veggies are the best!!

45 Ellen January 30, 2011

Great recipes!

I’ve been doing my half-marathon training indoors too, and you are definitely right about the mental stamina…hopefully it warms up soon so I can do some running outside…

46 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 30, 2011

I wish I could watch movies while I run. My gym has the treadmills positioned in front of the mirror and who really wants to watch themselves bop up and down for an hour+?

47 Joanne January 30, 2011

I am truly super impressed with your ability to run that long on a treadmill. I need scenery and people and something to look at other than a tv. Outdoor running for me I guess! Black ice or not.

I am totally enamored with that sweet potato black bean salad! Bittman is the MAN and I love his increasingly veg repertoire!

48 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 30, 2011

WOW! Both recipes sound incredible! I too will only eat bread toasted, which is the main reason I rarely take sandwiches to work now… I neeeed my sandwich press for it to be a real sandwich! Hope you had a great weekend Ange and congrats on that long run! :)

49 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 30, 2011

Mark Bittman has some great recipes. I have been trying to cook through his Food Matters cookbook that I received for Christmas

50 Emily January 30, 2011

All of that food looks delicious! :)

51 Camille January 30, 2011

Oh my goodness, so much beautiful food today! You are getting me all fired up for lunch even though it’s only 10:20 :)

52 Ellie@fitforthesoul January 30, 2011

I agree that bread should always be eaten toasted unless it’s very very fresh :) Have a beautiful Sunday Ange

53 bree marsh @ deliciously dense January 30, 2011

looks amazing. i recently posted a dish VERY similar to your sweet potato and black beans, except i used butternut squash and red kidney beans!
i bet that carrot smoothie would be good with pumpkin as well!

54 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 30, 2011

The color of that smoothie is so gorgeous!

55 Amber K January 30, 2011

I always eat my bread toasted too, but that’s because I have to keep my gluten-free bread in the freezer and I never have the patience to pull it out and let it thaw, lol.

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

hehe yea all my bread comes frozen too

57 Moni'sMeals January 30, 2011

this is a great quick meral. I love sweet potatoes, not a big fan of cilantro so I can tweak it a bit. :)

I love the idea of the carrot cake smoothie!

Have a good time making more granola. :) Glad you found your tank, I love when that happens.

58 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 30, 2011

I’m so excited b/c I have all the ingredients for that lovely looking salad – mmm!

Love that workout top – glad you found it :)

59 Heather January 30, 2011

I love Silver Hills! I am all about their flax bread!

60 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 30, 2011

I need a VitaMix to make that smoothie!!!! Looks so good!!!

61 lauren January 30, 2011

Before I read this I was thinking about carrot cake, and how much I love it, while drinking a cucumber carrot ginger smoothie.
Great minds, perhaps?
But I can’t have coconut…maybe some walnuts instead? hm.

62 Erin @ The Grass Skirt January 30, 2011

I cannot wait to make that smoothie!!! I wish that I didn’t just eat lunch, so I could have it right now! Thanks for posting. Your recipes are always a hit in my house. Even my hubby loves them.

63 Runeatrepeat January 30, 2011

Black beans and sweet potatoes are one of my favorite combos!

64 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 30, 2011

The smoothie looks and sounds wonderful…as does the bean salad!

And when I used to eat sandwiches (GF bread is so dreadful tasting to me or over priced I dont even buy it any more) but my sammies were always so overstuffed that they had to be eaten open-faced by default :)

“a long run on the treadmill is a test of mental strength more than anything.”—YES!!! That is so true but glad you found a way to get your inner self-talk going and do your run!

65 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 30, 2011

It’s definitely takes a lot of willpower to finish a longgg run on the treadmill! But I could definitely do it if I knew I had a delicious Carrot Cake smoothie waiting for me afterwards!

66 Becky January 30, 2011

I can’t wait to try both of your recipes! I was wondering what brand of protein powder you use? Also I did an interval run on the treadmill yesterday, and it was so hard, and boring! I am going to do a straight run tomorrow morning, hopefully I will get through it. I have to do my runs at 5:30 in the morning before the kiddos wake up. I also can’t have the tv up that loud because they are sleeping, so usually I just watch the news and try to read their lips! LOL!

Thanks again for the great recipes! Tomorrow I am going to try that carrot cake recipe!

67 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I use Vegan- I have tried Choc-o-lot vegan and the vanilla kind and I much prefer the Choc-o-lot!

68 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

oops I meant to say I use VEGA for protein powder lately. I also use Amazing Grass wheatgrass powder too, although it is not a protein powder.

69 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 30, 2011

Sweet potatoes and black beans are my favorite combo! I must try that salad. I’m almost out my granola too :( Time to make more!

70 Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 30, 2011

I was just playing around with a Banana bread smoothie this morning! Gosh they are tasty! Carrot cake is brilliant. Will have to try that tomorrow.

I’m totally with you on running on the treadmill for 8 miles :| After about 5 I have to coach myself through the rest. It’s soo boring! Good for you for pushing through! :)

71 Lana January 30, 2011

What fun eats!

I’m currently out of sweet potatoes :( :( but just wrote down the recipe because it looks AMAZING!!

72 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 30, 2011

I could not agree more re treadmill running being all about mental strength!

73 MeagAlayne January 30, 2011

That salad looks awesome! Warm salad = divine! There’s a place in Toronto called Fire On The East Side that years ago offered up a warm spinach salad that was to die for, and ever since my first trip I’ve had all kinds of fuzzy feelings about warm salads, for a meal or an app. Will definitely be trying this one!

Couldn’t agree more with long runs on the TM – I did my 8mile long run outdoors today (HH training as well) and it was great! I run faster, I feel better, and I don’t have as much self-doubt. On the TM I am CONSTANTLY having to tell myself I can finish. It’s a major feat of mental strength just to stay on the TM, let alone keep up my pace or incline. Outdoors, I can just zone out and enjoy the scenery. Get a pair of Under Armour tights and a base layer running shirt and hit the streets, Angela. It’s worth suffering in the cold a bit to actually enjoy your runs once again!
-Meag

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

It isn’t the cold that deters me- it’s the fact that we live in a rural area with no sidewalks and a ton of transport trucks on the main roads. Im all about running outdoors when possible, but Im not willing to risk my life for it.

75 Angela (the diet book junkie) January 30, 2011

that salad looks amazing, thanks so much for sharing the recipe!

(p.s. i hear ya about the treadmill. doing intervals definitely makes the time go by faster :))

76 Heather (heathers dish) January 30, 2011

Oh what I wouldn’t do for a vitamix!!!

77 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 30, 2011

I LOVE sweet potatoes and black beans together! Yummy another one I must try. I wish I could have you cook for me a day :)

78 Katie January 30, 2011

I know what you mean about the granola!! I seem to make a batch every week…You need to take care of that situation STAT!

79 Namaste Gurl January 30, 2011

Good job on reaching 8 miles– haven’t gotten there yet! :)
I made a really yummy protein carrot- coconut smoothie recently and it was to die for. I tried the smoothie steaming the carrots and unsteaming them, as raw carrots make the smoothie grainy. I decided I preferred the steamed carrots in the smoothie better, but both were good. :)

80 Kathryn January 30, 2011

I’ve been enjoying audio books when I run. Keeps me from mentally talking myself out of continuing to run! Recipes look so yummy!

81 Becca January 30, 2011

I can only eat bread that is either toasted or very, very fresh. I just love the crunch!

I used to buy only Ezekiel products, but I am now switching to Fox Hills (trying to further support the Canadian market!). My current favorite is Squirelly. They even make bagels which is exciting! (Had a Squirrelly bagel this morning, actually).

82 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Is Fox Hills different than Silver Hills (Our of BC)?

83 Becca January 30, 2011

Opps! I meant Silver Hills.

84 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Ohh ok gotcha…for a minute I was all excited that I had another brand to try out lol. ;)

85 Lindsy January 30, 2011

Nothing against tiny urban kitchen…..but I’m still sad you didn’t win project food blog.

86 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 30, 2011

sweet potatoes and black beans sounds like an amazing combo! And that smoothie…If you will excuse ME, I think I have a smoothie to make =]

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

haha ;p

88 Tracy @ Commit To Fit January 30, 2011

That smoothie looks super yummy. I really have to get back on the smoothie bandwagon..I miss them :)

89 Stephanie January 30, 2011

This recipe was amazing!! I had sweet potatoes to use up, so this worked perfectly. I paired this with some vegan chili and brown rice.

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Glad you enjoyed it!

91 Helen January 30, 2011

Okay i have been really busy today so I am just now getting to the whole reading part of my day. I just sat at my table with a big ol bowl of oats, and all I can think is darn that looks good, I have all of those ingredients, and I should have read a little earlier…haha!

92 Julie January 30, 2011

I love that bread, but it is sooo expensive! I can’t afford to buy it often :(

93 Carly (Swim, Run, Om) January 30, 2011

I am definitely going to make that smoothie tomorrow. Only thing – I have no protein powder. Do you think it will be OK without it?

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

oh yea its totally fine without it!

95 Kat @ Cupcake Kat January 30, 2011

I only eat my bread toasted too!
I’m going to make that smoothie and the sweet potatoes. yummy!

96 Paige @Running Around Normal January 30, 2011

Nice job on that run, girl!! Way to go 8 miles on the t-mill :)
That smoothie just made me very hungry :D

97 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 30, 2011

I love the sweet potato and black bean combo! It’s my favorite!

98 Lou January 30, 2011

hahahaa i love how you put the crying face on your favourite granola picture… you know i’m making those today! it’s chinese new year here in hong kong and we make loads of food… my aunts would sure love to try something new :)

99 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

happy new year!

100 Ashley January 30, 2011

Lovely photos!! The butternut squash dish looks awesome. I just love lunches like that..throw together but so delicious + satisfying. Way to go with the run!

101 Brittany (Eating Bird Food) January 30, 2011

I’m the same way about only eating bread toasted. I think the main reason for this is that I store my bread in the fridge or freezer and I want it warm. :)

The sweet potato black bean dish sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

102 Hannah January 30, 2011

I actually just clapped at my computer screen. I saw a carrot cake smoothie somewhere recently but it used fresh carrot juice and I don’t have a juicer. At the time, I’d wondered whether using whole carrot would work, but my vita-mix is barely weeks old so I was scared to try. Thank you Angela!

103 Nat January 30, 2011

Wow. I’d been craving sweet potatoes and had recently made a batch of black beans, so conditions were perfect to cook your sweet potato and black bean salad. I have to admit, the ingredients of this recipe frightened me, sweet potatoes seemed like such a strange thing to add to Mexican spices! I will NEVER AGAIN doubt you! Damn, this was a good. I added roasted zucchini and used red onion instead of yellow…turned out perfectly. So comforting whilst still healthy. Should this even be called a salad?! It doesn’t seem fair to how incredibly filling it was. THANK YOU for sharing this dish with the cyber-world!

104 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

hehe thanks Nat!

105 Izzy January 30, 2011

Oooh, I doubt my Magic Bullet can handle carrot, but…just maybe??! I saw a VitaMix at Costco this weekend and just sighed a huuge sigh in front of the set up :(

I’ve been obsessed with lentils lately! So much so that I made a mini-tut on how to cook them on my blog… soo fibre+protein+iron-licious! Lurrrve

izzyy
xoxx

106 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 30, 2011

I started making carrot smoothies this winter after making (and becoming obsessed with) your carrot cake oats! Too funny. I can never get enough carrots (my 8 year old self just gave a horrified look).

107 Dawn January 30, 2011

I’m definitely making this smoothie – But I know my smoothie probably can’t handle the carrots, so I plan on using some steamed carrots to save my blender the hassle. I think it should still turn out fantastic!

108 One Healthy Apple January 31, 2011

I will ONLY eat my bread toasted- and toasted at least at the medium setting. It’s a sickness for me!

Your smoothie looks delightful too and so healthy.

109 Andrea January 31, 2011

I just whipped up a carrot cake smoothie and LOVE it! It was the perfect solution this morning having run out of spinach. (It kind of pains me to not get a serving of veggies in for breakfast). I also did an 8 mile training run on the treadmill this week. I was thinking the exact same thing. My body could do it…it was my mind that was struggling. I had to just keep telling myself that as I chugged along. “Your legs are moving, your brain is slowing you down!” Hopefully the snowy streets of NY will clear soon!!

110 Gill (snaxandthecity) January 31, 2011

Ooooh carrot cake smoothie, i’ve never thought of that! Looks yummy. good job on the 78mins on a treadmill – i don’t think i could do that!

111 Emma January 31, 2011

that salad looks so delicious! I love to eat in season, it just feels so right in my body, like the nutrients found in winter produce, like sweet potatoes, are just what my body needs to feel energized in the winter.

112 Alyyyyyyne January 31, 2011

Hey!!!

I was wondering, half the time when I make the Banana Soft Serves, they never fluff up! Do you know why that might happen?? It’s soooo disappointing, because when it DOES fluff it is AMAZIIIINNG. I usually use a frozen banana, chia seeds, protein powder, cinnamon, and stevia <333

Cheers!
Alyne

113 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 31, 2011

A carrot cake smoothie sounds SO good! I have to try this!!

And Mark Bittman is always amazing, isn’t he? I love your adaptation- looks delish!

xo

114 Amanda (Tomboy That Wears Makeup) January 31, 2011

Your SO talented Angela! I love seeing what your going to make next! Good job on the running! I am training for a triathlon- and even for me- 8 miles is a big feat! Way to GO:)

115 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 31, 2011

Is that Chocolate Pecan Butter I see?!?!? OHMYGOSH!!! That is amazing!!! Do you just add cocoa powder to your pecan butter to make is Chocolate Pecan Butter? or is the process a little more arduous?

116 HarleyGirlTX January 31, 2011

Good on ya for 8 miles on the treadmill. I once did a 13 mile training run on the treadmill and thought I would die. Trust me, if you did 8, you should count it as 16!

Thanks for the smoothie recipe. I must try it!

117 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

i love the way you think! heh

118 Emma January 31, 2011

I made the sweet potato and black bean salad for dinner last night, since I had all the ingredients. It turned out delish and I’m enjoying leftovers at my desk right now. :)

119 Jennifer @ keepitsimplefoods.com January 31, 2011

I too prefer toasted bread! It’s simply the best.

120 Madeline January 31, 2011

I often times will just try to “wing it” with smoothie recipes…but I actually followed this one to a T and it turned out great! Thanks for the recommendation…I rarely think to use carrots!

121 Allie January 31, 2011

Carrot Cake smoothie is going on my To Make list. Yum!

122 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) January 31, 2011

Yum, I’m always looking for new bread to try! I like the Food for Life brand, but I dislike that I can only find it frozen. Right now I’m pretty obsessed with Cobb’s bread… they have a new Chia bread which is to die for. I am going to look for this brand though – I’ll always try any bread at least once. :)

ps. My running friends *LOVE* your bars.

123 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 31, 2011

thanks!

124 Sarah@NaturalDiabetic January 31, 2011

I agree, running on the treadmill is definitely a test of mental strength! Don’t know how you did 8 miles! I can barely eek out 3 on a treadmill. Painful! Smoothie looks delish by the way!

125 Marit February 1, 2011

Hey.
In Norway you can get studded trainers for outdoor winter runs. I am not much of a runner myself but quite a few of my friends use them and tell me they are incredible as they allow for outdoor running all year. Indoor exercise is boring if that’s all you do all winter and motivation suffers…

Icebug is a great shoe reccomended for winter runs
(Norwegian site….http://www.xxl.no/sko/damesko/vinterstoevler/attla-l-bugrip-1066360?searchWord=icebug)

And Sarva Xero is supposed to be a superb running shoe with fab grip…
(again in norwegian…http://www.oslosportslager.no/produkt/sarva-xero-lopesko-med-pigg-dame-22616.aspx?utm_source=Kelkoo&utm_medium=Oppf%C3%B8ring&utm_campaign=Kelkoo)

Why not see if you can get something like it in Canada?
You might get past your mental hinder if you get out?

I will definatelly try your dinner recipe… it looks deelish!

126 Tanya @ Vegan Faith February 1, 2011

I do not understand how you can run for 8 miles on a treadmill! You are awesome! Meanwhile that sweet potato and black bean salad looks delightful! Thanks for sharing!

127 Renae February 1, 2011

Oh my! I made the carrot cake smoothie this morning and it delicious! My 5 yr old & 3 yr old loved it too! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

128 kaila @ healthy helper! February 1, 2011

i love silver hills bread! but only get to have it about once a year because they don’t sell it in new york :(! anyone for a bread exchange lol? it is so light and delish for being a sprouted wheat bread! And that black bean sweet potato salad looks awesome….those two foods are one of the best combos in my opinion!

129 Amanda February 1, 2011

I just got my first blender over the weekend and this recipe looks incredible. Can’t wait to try it!

130 Brenda February 2, 2011

I am looking for a Carrot Cake Recipe that includes sweet potatoes as a ingredient, (that may be used to substiute suger). Not even sure that sweet potatoes CAN be a sub for suger in recipes but I am in learning mode!

131 Meredith February 2, 2011

Made the black bean and sweet potato salad tonight… it was FANTASTIC!! Your recipes never steer me wrong!

132 Johanna February 4, 2011

Hey Angela,
I just made the sweet potato slad. It turned out amazing! Thanks!

133 Jenny April 11, 2012

I made this for dinner tonight with the leftover black beans I had from making your butternut squash and black bean burritos… Two hit recipes in one day. The tang from the lime juice and slight kick from the cumin paired beautifully with the sweet potato – just as you outlined in the post! And almost anything with cilantro is bound to be awesome.

As for bread and toast… I’ve been eating Silver Hills bread for over a year – love the stuff! I’m a little bit peeved by how they reduced the mass per loaf but didn’t change the price… but that was a while ago, and for making such awesome bread, it’s hard not to forgive the company. (Especially when they use organic ingredients, and GMO wheat is set to enter the Canadian food industry this year. :( )

134 Tamara May 1, 2012

I just made the sweet potato salad last night and LOVED it. Thank you for this recipe. I substituted parsley for cilantro and added wheatberries to it. FABULOUS. Would definitely make this again!

135 Nina August 14, 2012

Once again, daughter loves another of your recipes. What a great mix of flavors!
Thanks so much, Nina

136 April Deters April 20, 2013

I love your blog and as I am literally eating it this minute, I had to comment on this amazing Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad. It is one of my favorites! The flavor is just perfect and it is also good as leftovers. Thank you for sharing this!

137 Kristi June 8, 2013

If i could suggest…………for the Carrot Cake Smoothie………try carrot pulp from your juicer. No worries about little carrot bits not getting blended! Btw — can’t wait to have another one of these – thanks for sharing!

138 Marina August 17, 2013

I was wondering what type of protein powder you use. I’m having trouble finding a vegan one that I like!

139 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 19, 2013

I don’t use protein powder that often, but when I do I use the raw sunwarrior protein powder. there is a new blend of pea protein that I enjoy.

140 Keri Ellis October 17, 2014

It’s like you’re my own personal chef except I do the cooking! it is just as enjoyable and appreciated when the food is on the table. The recipes never disappoint and are easy beautiful creations.
I just love you and your story and am reminded of that every time I see another post on the blog.
K

141 Shifra January 5, 2016

I am 13 years old and I LOVE your blog!!
I have already made so many of your other recipes. :)
Your Vegan Overnight Oats have become something I enjoy so much that I make it often!

I have made dinner for my family several times with many of your delicious recipes and when I saw this Sweet Potato and Black Bean Yumminess…I knew I had to make it! My parents LOVED it and said it was AMAZING! It was a bonus that my mom didn’t have to cook at all, as I made it all by myself! I also cooked extra black beans and made some brownies with them.. Also delicious by the way. :)
Your blog has inspired me, as I love to eat healthy food that nourishes my body..I can’t wait to try out more of your delicous recipes! Thank you for writing this blog! You are Awesome!