Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Bonjour =)

I’m loving the discussion going on in the Daily Glow Graduation Fears…it’s honest, real, and inspiring.

On Friday, I was feeling extra motivated (which doesn’t happen much in the Winter!), so I decided to get my long run completed a couple days early.

IMG 93731   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

[I was also tickled pink when I found my workout tank that was missing for months!]

I’m up to 8 miles for my long run this week and it felt so nice to check it off the list. I ran the 8 miles at incline 1% in 78 minutes.

Unfortunately, some of the miles ticked by ever so slowly…and I concluded that a long run on the treadmill is a test of mental strength more than anything. I had to convince myself that I could do it over and over and over again. I know I have the physical stamina, I just need to work on my mental stamina while running indoors. And I remind myself that cursing is sometimes necessary.

To help beat the boredom, I watched The Devil Wears Prada and I also did mini-tempo intervals during the run. I started at 6.0 mph and with each 400 metres, I increased the speed by 0.1 mph until I reached 6.6 mph, and then I repeated the interval. It helped for the first few miles, but then I got tired and said to hell with it and ran at 6.0 mph for the rest of the way. lol.

After the run, I was craving a cold, satisfying smoothie.

IMG 0143 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Do you notice anything sad about this picture below?

IMG 0145 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

What about now?

IMG 0146 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

That would be the end of My Favourite Granola stash! Tragic….just tragic, my friends.

IMG 0157 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I really enjoyed this Carrot Cake smoothie! It has a yummy carrot cake flavour while packing in 2 servings of veggies. Just make sure you blend it until fully smooth- you don’t want a grainy texture from the carrots.

IMG 0142 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Slurp.

Shower.

My post-run fuel usually looks something like this….

IMG 9763 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I love open-faced, toasted sandwiches on sprouted grain bread. Did I mention I pretty much only eat my bread toasted? Weird eh? The only time I do not toast bread is when it is fresh baked bread, otherwise I find that sprouted grain bread is wonderful toasted.

I’m currently crazy about Silver Hills Bakery Sprouted grain bread. Anyone tried this brand before? I buy it at my wholesaler, Ontario Natural Food Coop.

IMG 9545 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

I made some quick homemade guacamole (mashed 1 avocado, squirt of lime, red onion, olive oil, & kosher salt) with some protein-packed lentils and tomato sauce. It was a random, yet incredible combo!

I had it with a sliced apple and the dangerously delicious Chocolate Pecan Butter.

IMG 9764 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

5 minutes to prepare or less. You really can’t beat that when you are about to chew your arm off.

One of our dinners last week was this Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Warm Salad, inspired by the amazing (and increasingly veggie-loving!) Mark Bittman.

IMG 9960 thumb1   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

These are the changes I made to the original recipe:

• I cut down the oil from 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil to just 3 tbsp (and it still tasted amazing!).
  • I added ground cumin as this goes well with anything lime flavoured
  • I used 2 garlic cloves instead of 1
  • I used a yellow onion because I did not have a red onion
  • I used 1/2 cup of Cilantro because that was all I had (instead of 1 cup)

It still turned out INCREDIBLE!

First, roast the sweet potato and onion…

IMG 9910 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Meanwhile, make the dressing.

IMG 9922 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

IMG 9926 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Mix together the lime juice, garlic, minced Cilantro, kosher salt, pepper, and oil.

IMG 9932 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Stir in the drained and rinsed black beans.

IMG 9935 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

When the veggies are done, mix it all together!

IMG 9953 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

IMG 9969 2 thumb   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

The result is an array of savoury and tangy flavours. It is warm and comforting from the soft bites of sweet potato while the dressing gives it such a fresh and unexpected kick. We just loved it.

IMG 9960 thumb2   Carrot Cake Smoothie + Warm Sweet Potato ‘n Black Bean Salad

Now if you’ll excuse me, it appears I have a little granola issue to address. ;)

Nikki T January 30, 2011

I also love the Silver Hills bread…toasted as well!
I get it at Costco.
I’m very tempted to try out that smoothie….here’s to hoping my blender can handle the carrot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Oh I didn’t know you could get it at Costco! I will have to compare prices :)

Rochel @ barefootandcooking January 30, 2011

Indoor exercising is completely mental. I find I just need to distract myself with anything to get through it.

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 30, 2011

I agree. a 5 mile run is fun to me outdoors, even when freezing cold, but just plain tedious on a treadmill! at some point I just don’t know where to look anymore?

Jennifer and Jaclyn @ Sketch-Free Vegan January 30, 2011

Yum! Warm salads are so underrated.

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 30, 2011

OH my goodness girl, you hit us with a double-whammy home run!! I love carrot cake, and anything in slurpable form is a hit in my book:) Oh, and anything loaded with sweet potatoes = git in mah belly! xoxox

Stacy @ Every Little Thing January 30, 2011

The bean and potato warm salad looks great! I love limey dressings (that sounds gross haha).

Allison @ OneWhiteTulip January 30, 2011

I did six miles on the treadmill a few weeks ago. I wanted to die of boredom. And I was switching between watching TV, attempting to read magazines, listening to music, doing hill intervals, and eavesdropping on the lady next to me (I was at the gym, haha). Winter needs to end soon!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

hahaah

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 30, 2011

I may have to make that sweet potato and black bean salad today. ;)

Meredith January 30, 2011

So many great food ideas in this post – I’ll have to make that salad ASAP!

Baking 'n' Books January 30, 2011

You are incredible! I guess you run inside and have your own ‘mill – not running in the snow in tank-tops? ;) Do you do it before your breakfast?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I don’t have a set time that I usually run, but lately I have been loving the lunch hour! Seems to be when I have most energy.

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun January 30, 2011

That Carrot Cake Smoothie looks delicious! I love Carrot Cake! :-)

Faith @ lovelyascharged January 30, 2011

Oddly enough, I pretty much never eat my bread toasted! I like it chewy and airy.

Tina January 30, 2011

That smoothie sounds delicious! Despite the cold weather I have been craving cold smoothies as well! I only eat my bread toasted as well. I prefer the crunch! :)

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 30, 2011

Oh my goodness, everything looks delicious! I can’t wait to try the carrot cake smoothie. I think I have all the ingredients on hand. Score!

Alex @ Healing Beauty January 30, 2011

I think the black bean and sweet potato would make a very satisfying and filling meal, and I love the combination of the sweet and salty flavors. Can’t wait to try it and the carrot cake smoothie! Love the pictures by the way!

Emily January 30, 2011

Ahhh my mental strength for treadmill running is so weak! I can only get through it with intervals because I know that I have to pay attention and that it keeps changing! Distance running for me is always outdoors (which isnt happening in New England right now). Love the squash and black bean recipe!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 30, 2011

Long treadmill runs are definitely all about the mental stamina, so well done!! :D

Carrot cake smoothie?! Sounds delicious! And I’m totally bookmarking that salad! Sweet potato + black beans = heaven! :)

Ashley January 30, 2011

I get bored so easily on the treadmill, when I do intervals the time goes by much more quickly. That smoothie is mouth watering, so is that salad. I have growing list of food I need to make when I get near a fully equipped kitchen.

Jacquelyn January 30, 2011

I only eat bread toasted unless it’s a fresh loaf too!
Also, that salad looks amazing! I’ve got a can of black beans in my pantry and I’ve been thinking of what to do with them that’s not a veggie burger.

Emily January 30, 2011

Great job with your eight mile run! I did five miles yesterday and that’s the most I’ve ever done on the treadmill. It wasn’t as horrific as I thought it would be! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

good job! :)

Jin January 30, 2011

I LOVE silver hills sprouted bread. Too bad here in Ontario it’s usually in the frozen section.

I’m originally from Vancouver, currently in Toronto for school and one thing I really miss is reasonably fresh Silver Hills squirelly bread that is not frozen! They’re from Abbosford, BC and so we would always get them right off the shelves nice and ‘soft’ (soft as sprouted breads get) from our local farmers market.

Your salad looks great! Can’t wait to try it when I actually get a real kitchen….next year… hmmph!

Have a great day:D

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I would love to have this bread fresh + soft! Must pop in if I am ever there someday :)

Gen January 30, 2011

Great job on your run! I would have probably just given up…unless I had a smoothie waiting for me! =D
That sweet potato salad looks AMAZING! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 30, 2011

hmmmmmmm what an interesting recipe – but I just can’t get into cilantro, not a fan . . . perhaps I will try it without, or give it a little changeroo . . . this would be great to pack for lunches to take to school

Maya January 30, 2011

I feel the same way about swimming! I know I have the stamina for it but it’s so tedious and boring. I feel so accomplished when I finish!

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy January 30, 2011

This looks delicious! Sweet potatoes and black beans are to of my favorite foods, so of course I love them together! :)

Picky Nicky January 30, 2011

That smoothie looks incredibly refreshing :) Good thing I have a big bag of carrots in the fridge just waiting to be used up!!

Little Bookworm January 30, 2011

That smoothie sounds really interesting! Love carrot cake porridge so maybe I’ll try the smoothie soon. :)

Charlie January 30, 2011

This salad sounds soooo good! Makes me think of you’re sweet potato chickpea salad, that I make all the time!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

Yes it reminds me of that too! Just a dif. lime flavour :)

Livvy January 30, 2011

Yum that all looks so amazing! Your pictures are incredible too, btw:) I happen to have all of the Carrot Cake smoothie ingredients, and I have a workout scheduled for 1:00…so you know what I’m making right afterwards:) Thanks for the recipe! I just really hope my Cuisinart blender thing will whip that carrot into shape!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe January 30, 2011

That sweet potato salad looks so delicious!

Vegan Snorkeler January 30, 2011

I’m at the point where I’m realizing that running on the treadmill, as much as I hate it, is better than not running at all. Cursing will definitely be necessary to get through it!

I need a veggie smoothie to add to my routine, this one looks perfect. I’ll make it this week! Thanks for the recipe!

Katie January 30, 2011

The combination of sweet potato and black beans will never ever get boring. And cilantro only us its appeal for me.

laura January 30, 2011

Silver Hills is my fav! have you tried mack’s flax[green] or squirelly[red]?
Great recieps, cant wait to try them.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

not yet! IM currently working on 10 frozen loaves of the big 16 I think its called (bought in bulk!) hehe

Bronwyn Coyne January 30, 2011

Silver Hills is only my FAVOURITE store-bought bread!!! :D Also it’s from Vancouver so I feel so “local” when I purchase it. :p

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 30, 2011

I was really excited to find a Canadian Sprouted bread too…I had been buying only ezekiel bread for a couple years. I love all the flavours that SH has too!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 30, 2011

I can never stay motivated enough to do long distances on the treadmill! It must help a bit to be able to watch whatever you want on your tv. There’s never anything worth watching on the tvs at my gym. :P

Ashley @ Taste for Healthy January 30, 2011

Carrot Cake Smoothie… what a brilliant idea! I just need to find some vanilla protein powder.. Smoothies that pack in veggies are the best!!

Ellen January 30, 2011

Great recipes!

I’ve been doing my half-marathon training indoors too, and you are definitely right about the mental stamina…hopefully it warms up soon so I can do some running outside…

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 30, 2011

I wish I could watch movies while I run. My gym has the treadmills positioned in front of the mirror and who really wants to watch themselves bop up and down for an hour+?

Joanne January 30, 2011

I am truly super impressed with your ability to run that long on a treadmill. I need scenery and people and something to look at other than a tv. Outdoor running for me I guess! Black ice or not.

I am totally enamored with that sweet potato black bean salad! Bittman is the MAN and I love his increasingly veg repertoire!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 30, 2011

WOW! Both recipes sound incredible! I too will only eat bread toasted, which is the main reason I rarely take sandwiches to work now… I neeeed my sandwich press for it to be a real sandwich! Hope you had a great weekend Ange and congrats on that long run! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 30, 2011

Mark Bittman has some great recipes. I have been trying to cook through his Food Matters cookbook that I received for Christmas

Page 1 of 3123»