Daily Glow

Untitled-1

A few years ago, I decided that I was going to take control of my life and get healthy. My eating disorder was toxic and sucked the life out of me. I finally hit rock bottom and the only way out was up.

I knew I had to make a big change in my life, but fear made me resist this change for a very long time.

IMG_2224_thumb

I started to take baby steps in the right direction, even though I often felt like I was taking one step forward and two steps back. It didn’t matter though because with a determined spirit anything is possible, I just didn’t know it at the time.

One day, as I was chatting with my friend Leah, she said something that struck a cord with me.

She said, ‘Ange, I can tell that you are being good to yourself because you have a real glow now that you didn’t have before.’

She knew that I was trying to beat my ED and her words of encouragement made all the difference. The word glow stuck with me so much that I decided to make it my theme.

From then on, my goal was to do things that made me glow and avoid things that did not.

It was simple and it worked.

Over time, I realized that inner happiness and confidence is more attractive than any number on the scale. I wanted to be a Size Healthy, not a size ‘x’.

Despite my good intentions, I don’t always feel the ‘glow’ in my life…especially during the gloomy Winter! It is easy to fall into a slump and just get discouraged about things in general. Instead of letting negative thoughts get the best of me, I now know that the beauty of life is not in being perfect or happy 100% of the time, but it is overcoming the challenges that we all face.

The good news is we can always take action if we are not content with something in our life. I used to see myself as a product of my environment, but I learned that I am in control of my happiness and no one else.

I don’t just want to be inspired, I want to harness inspiration in my life. I want to grab a big lasso, throw it in the air, and pull inspiration toward my life. Some days, inspiration hits me when I least expect it- a positive thought, idea, or plan of action- and I get all excited about it, only forgetting about it later on as I go about my day. If only I had written it down, I often say.

I have a blog, so why not write it down?

I have always felt like there is a wonderful energy on this blog…all of you. We can channel this energy and use it in a positive way to build each other up and inspire each other to do simple, but great things. My writings and conversations on this blog gave me the courage to leave my unfulfilling career. This is when I really started to realize that great things can happen when you put a group of people together…even virtually!

IMG_7263hhhhhhh

The Daily Glow feature will be a place to write down inspirations, thoughts, questions, themes of the day, quotes, and the like, as they come. They will be short reflections and inspiring thoughts to hopefully add some joy, reflection, and inspiration into our lives. Daily Glow will not be on a ‘daily’ basis literally (unless I am really feeling inspired that week!), but I hope to include this feature on a regular basis. Most importantly,  I will need your help, your ideas, your contributions. I think that we can do some amazing things if we put our heads (and hearts) together.

I will kick it off with a quote that I love.

Life without a purpose is a languid, drifting thing; every day we ought to review our purpose, saying to ourselves, ‘This day let me make a sound beginning’.
       -Thomas Kempis

I often find myself going through the motions of life, without taking time to reflect…to stop…to breathe. I catch myself holding my breath or taking very shallow breaths of air when I feel tense about something in my life. This quote reminds me to stop and reflect on my purpose, even if only my daily purpose. It is very easy to lose sight of what is meaningful among the clutter in our lives and in our minds. My goal for today is to reflect on the actions that I take, the thoughts that I make, and to be mindful of my breathing.

What does this quote say to you? What can you do today to live with purpose?

1 maria @ Chasing the Now January 27, 2011

Great idea! Winter can be so tough on a lot of people–me included!

2 Jessica @ Black Cat Kitchen January 27, 2011

I love, love, love this idea! I’m working with a fabulous woman who’s doing something similar. She’s writing 365 days of inspirational letters and every single morning I’m anxious to see what topic she’s chosen. You can read (& sign up to get them in your inbox!) here: http://www.jennifertardy.com/jennifertardy/letters-my-girlfriends

3 Jess - The Domestic Vegan January 27, 2011

Beautiful post, Angela! You have the best ideas!

4 Ashley January 27, 2011

I had a terrible, terrible day today. Everything seemed to go wrong, and one of my good friends told me something that broke my heart. And then I came across this, just moments ago, and I want to say thank you. I think Daily Glow is a wonderful thing, and what an inspiration you are! Thanks again:)

5 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

I’m sorry you had such a bad day Ashley. I hope it goes better today. :) Thanks for your kind words!

6 Baking 'n' Books January 27, 2011

I feel your pain Ashley. Know that you aren’t alone…

Beautiful idea Angela – do I sense a book idea brewing….? ;)

7 Ashley January 27, 2011

It’s so good to know– because sometimes, I do feel very lost. I struggle with anxiety attacks and sometimes, it’s good to hear kind words and feel inspired to have a great day:) Have a wonderful Thursday!

8 Baking 'n' Books January 27, 2011

I tried your blog link – but it doesn’t go through?

9 Ashley January 27, 2011

Hi! Sorry about that– here’s the actual link, I must not have copied it completely:)

10 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 27, 2011

Today (or I guess yesterday since it’s after midnight here) started off pretty rough. I was in a bad mood and not inspired at all. A few positive tweets from some fellow bloggers made all the difference. My day ended up being great and because of those tweets, I was able to “restart” my day and make the best of it. Each day is a new beginning and it is important for us to take advantage of every opportunity to make the best of it.
I know that I spent too long trapped in my own ED and I feel like I let those days go to waste. I am now making up for lost time and I want to get my story out more, so that others don’t have to go down the same path I did.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

Yes each day is a new beginning :)

12 Sana January 27, 2011

What a beautiful world you have created in your little space of the internet! i am happy to be a part of it and share it with you :)

13 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty January 27, 2011

I love this idea!!

My thing is to be a good person. Just in general. I want it to shine from the inside that I have nothing but love to give!! :)

Awesome, love this so much!

14 Bethany @ More Fruit Please January 27, 2011

<3 Angela, I love how your glow is not just a physical glowing beauty, it's something that originates from inside you and shines through you. Your fun, kind spirit and passion for what you do are always woven into all of your posts. I can't wait to read more of the Daily Glow!

15 Marina January 27, 2011

This is a wonderful idea!You have been such an inspiration to me, with your life story, your courage and that wonderful glow.I hope soon I’ll be able to banish Ed completely, and be happier.
Can’t wait for Daily Glow!

16 Sophia @ Raven Waves January 27, 2011

This is a great idea. The quote says to me that we can’t be content with the monotony that can sometimes seep into life. We need to have a reason for doing something, a goal, something that inspires us and wants us to be better. I really can’t wait for the Daily Glow. Inspiration can be hard to come by sometimes, especially with a full-time job and being away from home 11 hours a day. Can’t wait for this feature!

17 Bronwyn Coyne January 27, 2011

I’ve been feeling so without a purpose recently. I’m not sure why, but I think it’s because I have always had a goal; a running goal, a school goal, this goal, that goal. And right now… nothing. I don’t feel like I need to improve everything, (dare I say anything?) about me right now… and that’s left me stuck… what can I do to invite purpose into my life if it isn’t about improvement? Maybe that’s a self-fish point of view for purpose, but it’s not like I’m not volunteering, or giving, or being a good friend and person. But I’ve felt directionless lately, and I more question what is “purpose” to me?

18 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 27, 2011

Hi Bronwyn, can’t the purpose in your life, if only for now, just being? You say you feel like you are a good person and friend, and you don’t need improvement in yourself. isn’t that a great thing? much more important than achiechiving some running goal? I think if you live from goal to goal sometimes you can miss out on the REAL purpose of life, just being yourself and enjoying life and being a good person. I know it’s sometimes hard to see wat you have but pleasure treasure where you are now and how good you have it and live in the moment. :)

19 Bronwyn Coyne January 27, 2011

:) Thanks! I’m tending to agree with you. I honestly feel pretty good about not having goals and just… enjoying the simplicity of life. But at the same time it’s weird to get used to.

20 Julia January 27, 2011

Hi Bronwyn!
I can really feel with you. When your live is dominated by tangible goals like finishing school it’s so hard when this changes! I had a rough time after I finished my master degree and started a “real” job because there wasn’t something I could work towards.
I agree with Sabine that it’s important to take time to just enjoy your live and acknowledge what you’ve achieved so far – which IMHO is a lot from what you write! Your individual purpose should not solely be defined by goals and personal improvement. Those can be a part of it.
Maybe you should take a step back and ask yourself why you think you need improvement. Why do you feel that you and your life don’t seem to be good enough right now?

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

That is such a great question that you have touched on. I think it is actually great how you feel. It tells me that you feel very balanced in your life and I think that is a great thing. :) I think as Sabine mentioned, sometimes you can focus on just ‘being’ and focus on being present in your life. It sounds so easy, but for myself, that is one of the biggest challenges that I face each day. I don’t think it necessarily has anything to do with self-improvement in the traditional sense, but just to be mindful of things we encounter each day can be a prupose in itself. Of course, only you can define what purpose is in your life obviously…I am glad the post got you thinking about it.

22 Bronwyn Coyne January 27, 2011

It’s such a huge challenge being present and just “being” in my life! But I always find when I am present, when I’m not thinking about what will come of this action, or what’s going on behind that action, that is when I’m happiest and feel most calm. It’s definitely a learning process, but one I’m enjoying.

23 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 28, 2011

so happy to hear that :)

24 Andrea@Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries February 18, 2011

Angela, I loved that you touched on this “just to be mindful of things we encounter each day can be a purpose in itself.” I feel like this has been on my heart so much lately. Stopping to evaluate your current situation and determining where you can make in impact for the time being is something I’ve been trying so hard to do lately and have even been trying to spread the word on to others. We truly are in charge of our own happiness and it all starts right inside our own minds and with the attitude we choose towards the circumstances we find ourselves in. It has already been making a difference for me! :)

25 Megan January 27, 2011

Thank you for this lovely reminder, Angela.

I’ve felt quite lost this winter. Work stressful with long hours, I’ve often sacrificed exercise to stay late in order “catch up on things”, I’ve skipped meals to work and binged the first unhealthy snacks I can lay my hands on once I feel starving – yuck. Then, things culminated three weeks ago when my dog was hit by a car and my husband and I had to make the very difficult choice to put him to sleep. In the days following the accident it was hard remember where and in what I found joy after watching my beloved dog suffer so much. He meant so much to me. He was one constant source of joy and love – and our walks were one of the few times each day that I took time to just be.

After the accident I threw myself headlong into work in order to keep myself occupied, worked late night after late night, and binged on horrible, fatty, sugary foods for each meal, (even meat a few times! and my husband and I are vegan), telling myself over and over “I deserved to ‘treat’ myself after the past weeks of sadness and over-working.” Now I feel exhausted, lethargic, grumpy, and disconnected from everyone around me – even my husband. I’ve lost my way.

Tomorrow I will live with purpose by finding my way back one healthy choice at a time: a ‘treat’ is food that sustains me, that makes me feel balanced and energetic, not grumpy and lethargic. I will remember this at every meal tomorrow.

For tonight I will live the reaming part of my day with purpose by remembering to savor the moments with the people (and animals) in my life who I love and who love me. Staying connected, not pulling away is the source of strength and healing. And I’ll start by turning off the computer, going to bed early, and snuggling with my hubbie!

Thanks again for the reminder, Angela! I appreciate you. :)

26 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

Thanks for sharing your story Megan. My heart goes out to you about the loss of your dog. :( I too lost my dog from a car accident when I was younger and the grief was very difficult to overcome. I think your goals are wonderful too.

27 JenATX January 27, 2011

Megan, what a great purpose to embrace for the day. I really hope you feel better & start fueling your body to make you feel your best! And of course snuggling with the hubby always helps :)

28 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 27, 2011

wonderful idea Angela! I love quotes and affirmations too, so I’ll definitelt contribute a few that I have featured on my blog :)

29 Julia January 27, 2011

I love when you write these inspirational posts!
You can really feel that everthing you say/write comes directly from your heart and that it’s important for you.
The Daily Glow is a wonderful idea as everyone now and then looses sight and needs to take a step back. Something as little as a quote can make a big difference on a rough day.

30 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 27, 2011

LOVE this idea! It is amazing! You are SO inspirational Angela, and you definitely glow! :)

31 Casey Thomas January 27, 2011

Beautiful idea Angela. I know that quote well and love it too.
Like you I have a business I put my whole heart and head behind every single day so I feel like every action I take to help others health, be healthier, happier and have a better life is my way of taking the step that gives the sound beginning.
Thanks for this lovely idea!

32 Jill January 27, 2011

I love this post…
I needed to hear that quote today…I just turned 30 a few days ago and have been really feeling like I need to remember to live my life on purpose and not get caught up in the daily motions of a busy life…
I also have been reading a few books (Vegan Freak and Skinny Bitch – 1/2 way through this one) that have really challenged me to drastically change the way I am eating/living…
I struggle with ‘food addiction’ and I really want to change my lifestyle, but I continue to binge on things that make me feel terrible…I am not sure if this is considered ‘disordered eating’, but it sure feels like it to me…I really want to break out of this cycle and your blog and healthy lifestyle has inspired me a lot. I kind of wish I knew you in real life so you could be my bestie ( I am sure you get that a lot, since you are so awesome!)
I am a bit overwhelmed by the amount of animal products in things I had no idea they were in…so I am taking it slow…I have committed to being vegetarian (since my 30th) and seeing where that takes me…I really want to go vegan all the way, but I think I am going to ease into it as I learn more and more…
Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and your story and your recipes! I have tried so many of them already!
I am curious if you use vegan beauty products/make-up? As I have been reading about becoming vegan, I am amazed at how many animal products are in those things and I wonder, as I progress further with this if that is something I will want to change in my life too…right now it just seems quite overwhelming and expensive and confusing.
Because I respect your opinion and your decision to go vegan, I wonder if you have any advice for that aspect of it? I know some people can be judgemental as to ‘how vegan’ people are, so if you don’t prefer to comment on this question I understand. In the book Vegan Freak, the authors even feed their dog vegan food and use ‘vegan tires’ on their car!
Anyways, sorry for the essay…in conclusion…
I adore your blog! My son (2 1/2) thinks your picture is pretty at the top of the site and says ‘I want to see Angela again!’ while I am trying to read…haha!
Also, it was neat to see ‘The Coup’ featured on your blog…I live in Calgary (on the west side), so if you want to hang out with a non-creepy admirer next time you visit your fam, I would love it! It would be like meeting my favourite bloggie celeb :)
Thanks for doing what you do!
Jill

33 Kayla @ Fitterthanchoc January 27, 2011

This post is really inspiring! I love how you’d set your goal to do things that made you glow and avoid things that did not. There’s something really beautiful about this goal!

34 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 27, 2011

Angela thanks for sharing about your past, and now I know why your blog is named the way it is! Very awesome story!

And what a fabulous message…a place to celebrate the positive, to have a daily dose of glowing. Even if it’s not technically daily, can’t wait for The Daily Glow segments!

And that quote…oh boy, it’s sooo easy to put life on autopilot, work-family-chores-workout-repeat. Or whatever those things are, that someone puts on autopilot…yes, we all do it and the purpose of life is greatly diminished. When i start feeling that way, I try to step back and just stop. Stop and smell the roses, breathe deeply, meditate for 90 seconds, whatever, to SNAP myself out of that rat-on-the-wheel of life circle that is not fulfilling, but just a series of chores and tasks.

Being mindful that we all have a greater purpose than the next blog post we write, meal we cook, or chore we do…is KEY to remember :)

35 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 27, 2011

Great post and I love the quote. Your blog has been a very big inspiration to me . I too struggle with an eating disorder and I hate it. At times I feel I have complete control over it but I must be honest and say at times it still rears it’s ugly head. My desire is glow from the inside out and to see others do the same. It feels like I will never get there but I do know it is possible :) Thank you so much for sharing your heart and life through your blog…..it’s a always a bright spot in my day :)

36 Roxane January 27, 2011

You, Angela, are simply amazing!! :)

37 CathyK January 27, 2011

what a wonderful, awesome post, angela. i love when you share recipes, but when you share inspiring thoughts and your own personal experience, it just is so meaningful – thanks so much!!!
to me, this quote says that making long-range plans is great…but don’t forget that each day is a special entity to itself – you can make a difference JUST TODAY in either your own life, or in someone else’s – just one small step at a time.
looking forward to more DAILY GLOW reflections! :)

38 Elevine January 27, 2011

thankyou so much for such an inspiring post!
really, it means alot.

x

39 Dani @ Body By Nature January 27, 2011

Beautiful! What a motivating quote! Last night I attended the most amazing yoga class where our instructor told us that in order to show kindness to others we must first show kindness to ourselves which is some really great advice!

40 JL goes Vegan January 27, 2011

Inspirational, Angela!

This quote reminds me of one of my favorite Buddhist quotes: “The journey is the destination.” If your sole focus is where you want to be, you’re missing the most important part — the process of getting there. Each day why not rethink the seemingly mundane and consider how the mundane might be important in the big picture?

41 amy January 27, 2011

I’ve started to be more conscious of my breathing too. Many times I’ve found that I almost hold my breath and breath very shallow. As I’ve become more intentional about breathing deep I start to feel more relaxed and calm.

42 lindsay January 27, 2011

I always love it when you share straight from the heart. You to harness inspiration, you do glow, and you have passed that glow on to many many others (including myself).
Cheers to the DAILY GLOW!
LC

43 Sarah January 27, 2011

Lovely… Often our purposes can be hidden beneath depths of self hatred, guilt, and the nagging voice of negativity hiding in our heads (I’ve named my voice ED). Yet even when we feel frustrated and hopeless, we can rediscover hope and purpose in the words of another. Your blog and your words provide more wisdom and possibility for your readers. By sharing your struggle and journey to find your glow has inspired readers like me to hope and believe that we can break free of our demons and live purposely. I don’t know what your purpose is (or mine for that matter) but I personally believe it’s to provide hope and inspiration to those who need it. One day I’d like to have a similar purpose, to provide hope and glow to those individuals who need it the most. Thank you for all your beautiful posts :)

44 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 27, 2011

Well, first of all this quote gave me goosebumps! I think that having a purpose in life is essential – whether it is being a teacher, a mom, or completing 3 selfless acts a day – it all matters. What is life without a purpose? It’s not a good one – it’s going through the motions and not really LIVING.

Thanks for the reminder!

45 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 27, 2011

I love this post. I was at dinner with a few acquaintances in the fall and one of them told me that I looked good…that I used to look much more worn down. It really hit home with me, in much the same way your friend’s comment did. I’m excited to see where you go with this feature- I’ve always looked to your blog as a source of inspiration myself, both for food and for learning to enjoy it!

46 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 27, 2011

I really love this segment idea! The “glow” and positivity of the community was exactly what drew me into blogging a year ago and what’s kept me here all this time :) Yours was actually the first blog I read and I found it through “The F Word” when I was looking for sources of inspiration to help draw me out of the final phases of my eating disorder when the stresses of facing the real world were tempting to me relapse. At any rate, I’m so glad to have found blogs like yours that have helped me become the stronger, happier, healthier woman whose life is looking better and better each day :)

47 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete January 27, 2011

That quote immediately made me think of Jason and I working so hard to get our finances in order — paying off debt, saving, etc. We made it a point to focus every single day on getting that done. Every purchase had to reflect that goal: do we “need” this or do we just want it? If we need it, lets get it, if not, forget it.

Same with treating ourselves better and finding our purpose — why not spend our time finding our purpose and pursuing our dreams? This quote is all about getting your priorities in order!

48 Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 27, 2011

I love this and love following your transformation and the tips and recipes and so happy you are blogging it and sharing it all to us.

49 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 27, 2011

I think this is a fantastic idea and will be an inspiration for so many readers.

50 Hillary January 27, 2011

I love this quote. It’s so important for working women to remember themselves and their piece of mind.

This post also touched me as I’m going through the motions of finally overcoming an ED that has taken over my life. Every day is a challenge but your inspiration helps me. It especially helps on a morning liike this (I’m in Boston…SNOW!) when the world seems to dreary that it inevitably makes me feel just as badly.

Your daily glows could not have come at a better time. Thank you!

51 Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun January 27, 2011

I loved hearing where glow came from! And this idea is fantastic…as is that quote. I love the thought of recognzizing purpose in life and going after it.

52 Tosca January 27, 2011

Thanks so much for writing this blog, it give’s me courage and one day I hope to glow just like you

53 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 27, 2011

i just love that last part about making a sound beginning every day…that’s definitely something that i have not chosen to do and need to!

i think this is a beautiful idea, and i loved hearing your story about behind the glow :)

54 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 27, 2011

A very inspirational, learned person said the following, “The battle for life is the battle for sanity.” Hearing this gave me so much peace. I know more than ever that everyone is struggling with something. Knowing that I am not alone makes it easier to overcome whatever comes my way.

55 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 27, 2011

Oh wow Ange, I love this feature! I love that quote too and it really strikes a chord with me this morning for many reasons. I’ve been getting very ahead of myself lately and (pardon the cliche) not taking much time to stop and smell the roses. Slowing down is something I need to work on. I’m going to write down that quote on a post it right now! :)

56 Nessy January 27, 2011

You are an inspiration. You truly do glow and your posts give me encouragement to stay strong. This post could not have come at a better time because I had thought my ED was gone, but now after many months of doing well I had a major slip up. I was feeling quite down this morning, but now you have given me the lift I need to move on and fight it. I thank you more than words can explain.

57 Lou January 27, 2011

My purpose for today is to look after myself by staying with my fear and pain (my neck is really out of shape after visiting the Osteopath on Tue, not the intended outcome but hey!). I want to run away from it inside myself, but I know I have to be there for myself and I can do that by returning to the breath, as you say, and by remembering to smile and accepting that it’s okay to have a day where I’m not moving mountains :)…that such a day is not a failure, just a day.

58 Kristen January 27, 2011

Excellent quote. Something I need to think about.

I recently moved to Spain and have been struggling with my new life, finding my new purpose. I gave up my career in the States to move for love. I have thought my new purpose needs to be no purpose – no deadlines and “career furthering.” I am so type A this move has been a lesson in relaxing and enjoying. The European life is far from my normal.

Great thoughts for today! Thank you!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

I love this quote, ‘I have thought my new purpose needs to be no purpose.’ I totally understand what you mean…sometimes there is no need for a defined purpose other than to just be. :)

60 Healthy Chocoholic January 27, 2011

What a great idea!
I’m struggling with an ED right now, and I just want you to know how much this blog has helped me! =D

61 Amanda (Eating Up) January 27, 2011

I definitely need to hear that quote right now. I’m about to graduate, and therefore that question is staring me right in the face!

62 Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) January 27, 2011

Too often I find myself just going through the motions, living for the weekend. I need to be more mindful/aware of things because who just wants to get by in life? Inspired by your story, I’m focusing on overcoming my own struggles with eating. You have some great recipes on here that are keeping me busy in the kitchen and satisfying my stomach. Sweets are my biggest problem, but the recipes of yours I have tried don’t set off any triggers- I’m able to enjoy them responsibly so I don’t end up feeling deprived.

63 Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} January 27, 2011

I think finding your purpose in life is essential to fulfilling all we were created to be. Thank you for sharing that powerful quote today.

64 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 27, 2011

As always, your thoughts are insightful, thoughtful, and lovely! Thanks for sharing.

65 Amy January 27, 2011

The quote reminds me to live with purpose, but also sometimes quotes like this make me feel nervous, like every moment could be the last… what am I doing? Why am I just sitting reading this blog? I should be DOING! =) And as I enjoy reading this blog (among other things), I prefer quotes like this one: Bloom where you’re planted. I got it from “O” Magazine of all places. It has really struck a chord with me because as a mother, I’ve had to learn to be very flexible with my time. A schedule is great– until it’s not. Then, when things change, frustration abounds. So I try to take deep breaths and do the best I can– here and now. My son will not be this age forever, and I want to be present for him, and for the rest of my family, as well as continue to find balance between their needs and mine. To bloom means to grow, to prosper, to be healthy– not to just be stuck doing, doing, doing for others, which is a trap mothers especially can fall into. It’s a struggle not to give up on improving and blooming– after all, in the short term, it’s easier to say “I’ll do it later,” especially when it comes to my needs and wants.

66 Allison @ Food For Healing January 27, 2011

absolutely beautiful!

67 Andrea January 27, 2011

Love the quote, love the idea of this daily glow reflection as well. I try to do something similar in my life and take some time every day to reflect upon my motivations for doing what I’m doing and to recognize my personal power and strength :) This quote definitely fits into my thinking that every day is a new day, and it’s up to me to seize the day and make the best of it. I have to say my favorite inspirational quote is “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are” by Theodore Roosevelt… I feel that the sentiment of making the most of your plans and goals carries through so many inspirational quotes!

68 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 27, 2011

Aside from loving the recipes, I love when you write posts like this, Angela!!

69 Emma January 27, 2011

I am so glad that I discovered this blog few days ago. A huge dumping of snow and a migraine has kept me couch-ridden for the past few days, and I have definitely been feeling the winter slump. Your blog has reminded me of my own mantra “You are in control of your own life.” I was inspired to using my few days of forced couch-potato-ness to make the best of it, get productive, and to create my own blog! Though I have only just began it and I’m trying to figure out the technical aspects, I am so excited to see how it develops. I am a college student, so I hope that it will be a forum to share your time and money-saving healthy living ideas. Thank you, Angela, you’ve made the artificial glow of the computer screen reignite the sparkly glow inside me :)

70 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 27, 2011

This is a beautiful idea Ang! We could all use a little more glow in our lives:)

71 Haleigh January 27, 2011

Ever since I started reading your blog back in 2009, I could see that you had that glow. You have been an inspiration for me to kick my own habit of disordered thoughts (I haven’t had disordered eating for about 3 years, but those nasty thoughts are still there sometimes). I look up to you and your glow, that I am actually searching for myself. Keep up the great work Angela! You truly are an inspiration, and I can’t wait to read the daily glow.

72 Kayla January 27, 2011

Great idea for a new feature, Ange! Can’t wait for even more positive energy floating through my Google Reader. :) Have a fabulous day, dear!

73 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 27, 2011

This is a really great quote! I think it’s very easy to get caught up in just living day today without focusing on solid goals and a reason for living. Life should be lived to the fullest but it’s hard to do that without knowing what the “fullest” means to you!

74 Allison January 27, 2011

So beautiful, as usual. This blog is a safe haven for so many people, me included. It’s already an incredible well of inspiration, too, and it’s helping so many of us find our glow again!

Sometimes I get swept up in what in means to “succeed” at my purpose. I feel like I have to pursue it in a certain way, or go about it according to some made-up rule book. In a way, my purpose even feels like it’s just a tiny drop of water in some big world’s collective ocean. Like it isn’t as magnificent or huge or emphatic as I think it should be.

Now, I know none of this is true. I know that my purpose is perfect and valuable in its own right, regardless of what others have done before me or how seemingly small it might seem. No. No matter what, my purpose matters and is bigger than even I think it is. It is important and it is beautiful, and, quite terrifically, it is me.

The thing we always seem to forget is that the ocean is still within each tiny, little drop. Each drop is its own vast, unparalleled sea, one that nobody can harness except ourselves. In this, we are so much greater than we realize, and our potential for personal health, happiness, and inner glow is not only attainable, it is inevitable!

75 molly January 27, 2011

I love this! I can’t wait to read the Daily Glow. I’ve had an eating disorder for over 12 years, and I think I am going to have to go back into residential (for the 6th time, ahh!) very soon to gain about 35+ needed pounds. Seeing how you have emerged so happy and free after your ED is true inspiration for me. My new beginning is going to involve saying yes to more help and letting my body get back to a place of health. Thank you for your courage to do this.

76 Lauren January 27, 2011

Your blog always inspires me, Angela. I look forward to The Daily Glow portion of your site as I do the rest of your posts! Thank you for being you and creating such great “vibes” on your blog! =)

77 Katie January 27, 2011

I feel like giving your life a purpose makes it worthwhile. Sometimes, the purpose can be a daily and obligatory thing like going to the grocery store. Or your purpose can be lifelong, like committing yourself to your marriage, your relationships, your health. Either way, a purposed life means an accomplished life. Having a purpose makes you feel like you are working towards something, striving to better your life, and feeling accomplished when you reach your goals along the way.

78 Lia January 27, 2011

It is a happy coincidence that you write this quote and ask these questions. I JUST had a moment or a reminder to take the time to remember that I choose my happiness and I should remember what it is that makes me happy, and that should be the MAIN focus of my life. In this case it is career wise….the next steps after I graduate college. I’ve been pushed and figured it was best to go for a segment of the industry that I actually don’t want to go for. I know what I love, and should not be afraid to pursue it because I fear what some people around me might think, or some not-really-existent disappointment from my parents (I know that they actually just want me to be happy). So, thanks for writing this quote and really giving me the extra extra reminder for my choices right now.

79 Embodying Freedom January 27, 2011

This quote resonates with me because what helps me most in overcoming my eating disorder is that every morning is a new beginning & every moment is a chance to turn it around. I know that if I go to bed thinking, “I did not treat myself the best today. I should have eaten more/been less self-conscious” etc. etc., that tomorrow I can start again.

I think it’s important to learn something or do something that makes you happy every day. I don’t want to waste any more time on unhappiness!

80 Shanna January 27, 2011

I can be bold and know that I need to live for msyelf and not live to please others. I will channel what I really want and make steps to achieving it!

81 Camille January 27, 2011

What a fabulous idea! I know, whether it be one particular day, or over the course of many days, we often need to add a little glow to our lives!

82 VeggieGirl January 27, 2011

What I’m doing today to live with a purpose = continue to fight the flu/influenza mixture that I have!

83 Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 27, 2011

” I want to grab a big lasso, throw it in the air, and pull inspiration toward my life. ”

This quote of yours seriously shook me to my core. This is exactly how I feel! Exactly! (—> if I could bold the word “exactly” and make it a size 18 font to show you how serious I am, I would!)

In the last 2 weeks I’ve started working out and eating healthier and I feel like I’ve gotten my glow (if you will, or my “spark” … I don’t want to steal your word!) back too. I feel confident, happy and alive again. It’s almost as if, the months before.. I was just going through life, a day at a time — not enjoying, or really LIVING.

I feel so good again. :) and this blog post of yours meant a lot to me.

84 Lauren January 27, 2011

What a great idea. For me, I try and get up and remind myself that no matter what happened yesterday today is a fresh start. Maybe I need to keep moving in the right direction or maybe I need to work on something I couldn’t deal with well yesterday but I’m much better equipped today.

85 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 27, 2011

I love this and I think it will bring a touch of happiness to my day!

86 ashley January 27, 2011

we live in a society where our output for others is the focus (such as work, business, commerce).. not for ourselves! i’m learning to do things with intention for myself as well.

87 Heather January 27, 2011

What am I going to do today to live with purpose?

Some days it is simply spending time connecting with family and friends.

However, today I have an interview for a volunteer position at a womens shelter!

Wish me luck!

88 Liz January 27, 2011

I love the space you create on your blog and I can imagine you create the same space in all of your interactions. If we all strove to create the same kind of space, the world would be a better place.

In response to the quote, I recently quit an unfulfilling job with the idea that I would use my free time to figure out the direction I wanted to move in. It’s proving harder than I thought it would be. The time can just slip by without me really figuring anything out. So this is a great reminder every day to start with a purpose and strive to fulfill it – whether it’s a daily purpose or part of something larger. Thank you so much!

89 Madeleine@ Stepping to the Brightside January 27, 2011

I’ve got an important meeting today- and while it could mean great things for my career, I don’t want to stress myself out too much about it because I can’t control the other person’s opinion of me or my work. I’ll go in with purpose, knowing I’ve got a lot to offer and if this meeting doesn’t produce anything, at the very least it serves as practice for the next one. Thanks for your boundless positivity, Angela!

90 Tara January 27, 2011

“Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand-and melting like a snowflake…”

Francis Bacon, Sr.

-Love your blog Angela! Keep up the amazing work.

91 Marcie January 27, 2011

I needed this. I love your blog. YOU are my inspiration today :)

92 Hannah January 27, 2011

Mindful breathing is so good! I need to practice it more, but I’ve been doing a simple 5 minute meditation a few times a week and I love the calmness it brings me. It’s also so much easier than I thought :)

93 Megan (Braise The Roof) January 27, 2011

Such a great time of year to start something like this! It’s so important to slow down and take a minute to appreciate the things that are in your life that are worth celebrating- it’s easy to just breeze past them!

94 Roz January 27, 2011

This is such a great idea. We ALL need these little reminders and inspirations!!! Look forward to reading the posts! have a great day.

95 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 27, 2011

This post really resonates with me. In early December, in craziness of the christmas season and the end of my semester and everything else that was going on in my life, I just decided to press the pause button and assess my health and happiness. I sat down and identified the things I needed in order to be truly happy and healthy, and then made an action plan. It didn’t happen overnight, but over the last month and a half I’ve been making little changes here and there (getting on a regular sleep schedule, spending less time on the internet, eliminating different processed foods by making them from scratch, etc) and I feel so much better already. It’s not even just that these things make me happier, it’s that I took charge and am doing these things in order to make myself happier, you know? I realized, “Oh, I can control my life!” and that really puts things into perspective. I really look forward to this new blog feature!

96 Amber K January 27, 2011

This is just the inspiration I needed today. I have had a rough couple of days and this was the perfect reminder to just be for now.

97 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 27, 2011

This is such an inspirational post, I am going through a testing phase on the career front, I really need something to lift my spirits.

98 Laura January 27, 2011

This just gave me a reality check, and an inspirational boost. I am at a rock bottom point within my ED and the only way out is up. I want to get my glow back, and discover true happiness. Just like you have. I can control my happiness, and have the life i want to live.
I can’t thank you enough Angie for giving me hope!

99 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 27, 2011

What a beautiful post and I am excited to read this daily glow!!

This quote really resonates with me because I believe we are all have a purpose to be here and share our passions with the world! Helping people is the true way to love and happiness ;)

I love that we have the purpose to provide healthy treats and love to people through a natural baked good :) hehe

xxoo

100 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 27, 2011

Awesome idea – and much needed as I shiver in my office. :)

I love this: “This day let me make a sound beginning.”

To me, it is a reminder that every day is another opportunity to get it right, to move towards your goals, to put your best foot forward.

101 Tracey January 27, 2011

I love the idea of the Daily Glow. I often try to write inspirational stuff on my blog, not only for my readers, but for myself as well. Winter is a tough time and I definitely struggle every year with staying positive during the cold, gloomy days. Thanks for offering this quote today. It really is a great one :)

102 Rachel January 27, 2011

I like this idea! I also like reading your quotes! I don’t know if you’ve every heard of The Ripples Project, but they send out great emails every Monday with three quotes focused on a certain theme. It’s a great way to start the week off on the right foot!

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

thanks, will check that out!

104 AllieNic @Frisky Lemon January 27, 2011

Hi! I think that the Daily Glow is a wonderful idea! You’re right–sometimes I forget where I am–sometimes we lose our place in life with everything that’s going on around us…I’m definitely one to forget my purpose, or get caught up in the negative, so it was really nice to read this quote and be reminded of what I’m living for/ what my goals are in life.

I’m trying to start my own business so I can make changes in other people’s lives (and in my own!), so today, I will make a change in my current job situation in order to get closer to what I want for my life.

Thanks so much!

105 Danielle S. January 27, 2011

To me that quote means to make the most of life and don’t get discouraged by small setbacks. . Angela, you are SUCH an inspirational person. I found your blog right when I was in the worst period of my eating disorder. I still battle with it, but by reminding myself daily that life is meaningful and food should be an enjoyable part of life, I can honestly say that I don’t think I’ll ever resort back to such destructive behavior. Thank you Angela!

106 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

So proud of you Danielle. :) Thanks for your positivity. Good luck with your journey!

107 Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 27, 2011

What a wonderful post, Angela – thanks for sharing your heart. I really needed to read this today, and it’s bringing tears to my eyes. My husband recently got a new job, and we’ll be living with my in-laws for four months before we move to our new city. I’m leaving a job I absolutely love, and I have no idea where I’m going. I’ve been feeling so run-down and anxious about it all. It’s made me cranky with my husband and I’m just feeling an overall kind of helpless feeling. Changes are hard, but you remind me that good can come of it. But it’s up to me to jump out there and make the most of it. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

108 Kim January 27, 2011

I have a question. You said that your friend noticed you were glowing and you set out to make that your goal. How do you know what will make you glow? Are there particular books that you read or a newsletter that you are subscribed to? How do you go about researching what makes you glow?
Wondering how to proceed….
Thanks.
ka

109 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

By that I mean that I did things that made me feel happy and more positive. For example, not weighing myself made me much happier. Being open about my ED and talking to others about it instead of keeping it a secret. Not counting calories. Eating plant based diet. Writing. Finding out what my passions were after years of ignoring them. Things like that!

110 Ellie@fitforthesoul January 27, 2011

So thankful you’re improving/proceeding each and every day Angela :) For me, the things that truly give me purpose today or in life in general, is giving all my heart to God and loving myself for how He made me. His love drives me to love others as well, or at least do my best to show it to them because they’re worth it.

111 Sabrina January 27, 2011

Hi there!

Do you have your email anywhere on here… I was trying to find it but I couldn’t see it anywhere! I wanted to send you a private message.

I really love this idea for “Daily Glow”!! I think it could make everyones day a little bit brighter.

112 Sabrina January 27, 2011

Hi there!

Do you have your email anywhere on here? I was trying to find it… but had no luck.

I really like the idea of “Daily Glow” posts… I think it could make everyones day a little brighter.

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011
114 Mel January 27, 2011

I love this idea. I find your blog so inspiring. Especially, when I was in the transition from leaving a job that was taking way too much out of me to my dream of going back to school. Well, guess what?! I actually JUST STARTED NURSING SCHOOL this January :-D I’ve thought about your story a lot and it really helped me when I needed it. Anyway, I wanted to share a quote that is a big favorite of mine and its especially good for all those fellow people pleasers out there! “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” ~Theodor Seuss Geisel (Dr. Seuss)

115 Andrea B. January 27, 2011

What a lovely post – it’s so easy to get caught up in the business of our everyday lives and forget to smell the roses. I am in my early 30s and it has only been in the past year or two that I have really felt like I know who I am, I’m comfortable with “me” and don’t have to always worry about pleasing others. You inspired me to come up with some’goals’ for 2011 and I think that by pursuing those it will help me move closer to doing something careerwise that I really love. I am really looking forward to reading your Daily Glow for weekly inspiration.

116 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 27, 2011

What a beautiful post Angela :) For me it is so easy to fall into the mindset of ‘just another day” when it should be “A WONDERFUL NEW DAY!”

117 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious January 27, 2011

awesome post!!love your glow story. LOVE the idea…sounds very inspiring. i love how quotes can bring about so much thought and reflection. i want to take a few minutes each morning and night to reflect.

118 Misty January 27, 2011

Oh my!
Did you knwo there was such a thing?? A tofu press???

Sorry a little random, but I’m so excited to share!

119 Christina January 27, 2011

What a beautiful post! I’m struggling right now with my weight but I’m not going down a distructive path that I was a few years ago. you are right though, it’s on these dreary cold days that it affects us the most. It’s hard to stay indoors every day when you just want to go outside and run but it’s nature, we can’t be mad at mother nature instead take the time to reflect on how we can make our lives better by overcoming these feelings.

120 Sara (Miles and Manhattan) January 27, 2011

wow amazing idea and beautiful ‘space’ to create!!
sara

121 Elli @ 16 and Losing It January 27, 2011

this post is really inspirational to me (and I will do my best to harness it!). Lately I too have been struggling with my weight (that it with lowering it). It feels like I am fighting my body instead of working with my body, and I hate that. I think I was trying so hard to be in total control that I lost sight of how to really be in control. I was so focused on weighing everything, and that combined with the stress of the rest of my life caused me to feel restricted and made me want to snack even more. I love that quote you had at the end. For me my purpose is to find a balance between being healthy and feeling “in control” of my life and my weight without losing the big picture. So thanks for such a lovely post!!

122 AGS January 27, 2011

The idea of “self-control” has been something that I often turn to. Over time, I came to realize that true self-control implied a lack of conscious battle with oneself. An example of this would be me and alcohol. I have never struggled with alcohol. One glass of wine, perhaps another, and I am perfectly happy. I have one when I want, and when I don’t, I never have it — even in social settings. Every now and then, I’ll have a bit more than needed, but I never feel like a horrible person for it later.

Enter: food/weight. For years, I was constantly trying to gain “self-control” over food. I was constantly battling eating and excerise habits. I wish I could explain exactly how I came to finally be OK with my weight, eating, etc. . . but suffice to say, I no longer worry about it. I believe that when you are finally “in control” is precisely when the battle has stopped — when an inner peace and general ability to grapple with an issue no longer drains you, but is a normal part of life. So, ultimately, my experience is that when “control” is no longer something you must think about, is the momeont when you have reached the desired state.

Good luck with your journey!! Do not give up!

123 Elli @ 16 and Losing It January 27, 2011

Wow I couldn’t have put it better myself! I am definitely working to get to that place. I am not there yet but I know that as long as I keep trying and learning I will find it. Thanks so much for your encouragement!

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

This literally gave me shivers it resonates so much with my own experiences, ‘I believe that when you are finally “in control” is precisely when the battle has stopped.’

YES. hell yes

125 Christine (The Raw Project) January 27, 2011

Wonderful idea, inspiration is always needed. To me the quote says we should review our goals and how we want to affect others before each day. And today I can be a nice, patient and a more tolerant person to try and bring a little sunshine into other peoples day.

126 (what runs) Lori January 27, 2011

Absolutely beautiful post and idea!

127 kathleen January 27, 2011

i think that’s a beautiful idea!

128 Michelle January 27, 2011

Hi Angela,
I can’t answer your questions in regards to your quote right now, but I have added the quote to my journal as I am going through my own personal difficulties right now; trying to find my purpose in life and the such. I have to say that this is a fabulous post and reading about your difficulties with an eating disorder, something that I went through myself and thought I had overcome, comforts me. In fact, I find your blog in itself so inspirational.

I hope you don’t mind, but I thought that I’d share one of my favourite quotes. It’s nothing spectacular, but it was one of those things that just struck a cord with me at the time and has stuck with me. It’s from the new Karate Kid movie:

“Life can knock you down, but you can choose to get back up.”

I look forward to reading your Daily glow. Thank you!

129 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 27, 2011

I love that quote, thanks for sharing it. :) I hope everything works out with your current challenges…you have a real positive spirit!

130 Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh January 27, 2011

This was seriously so beautiful! I was reading some comments people were writing, and it’s amazing the network and discussion you brought about =] When you read things like this, you realize that everybody has trying times, and life lessons. The quote was beautiful and just what I needed to hear. Thanks angela!

131 Richelle January 27, 2011

I really like the idea of the daily glow. I had a bad day a couple of days ago and I know you just need to push through it. Today was great! Sometimes all you need is to read a quote to make you think and get you inspired to push past whatever you’re struggling with that day. Thanks.

132 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 27, 2011

This is SUCH a beautiful post! I’m loving this idea and I can’t wait to see it in action. I was just thinking of you today. A friend has always described me as “the girl with the glow” and it makes me really try to live up to the each and every day.

133 Dori January 27, 2011

Absolutely love this post! I never knew the story of your blog name before and I can appreciate it so much more now. That quote tells me to do whatever it takes to make sure my life is spent doing work that I love.

134 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 27, 2011

To me, it means to remember that every day is a new day, and to start each day with a positive outlook. :)

You are such an inspiration to me! The glow you have lights the darkness. Thank you for all of the effort you put into your blog – it has changed me for the better. :)

135 Debbie January 27, 2011

WOW ~ WOW ~ WOW! I’ve been a follower of your blog for a very long time. I don’t even know if I’ve ever left a comment. But this post spoke to me like never before. Thanks for being so transparent and sharing you. I feel like I know the most beautiful side of you. Keep on glowing!

What a beautiful quote, we have a choice each day to make the most of it. This reminded me of my day and I blogged just a little snippet about being choosing happiness no matter what happens.

Blessings to you – Debbie

136 Kristen January 27, 2011

Loved this post! <3 <3

137 ashley@quasichick January 27, 2011

I love this and can’t wait to add my thoughts as well as read everyones advice, encouragement and suportiive words :) You are such a beautiful person!

138 Moni'sMeals January 27, 2011

so beautiful. I love the daily glow! You are so great to us all. :)

139 Holly @ Couch Potato Athlete January 27, 2011

140 Kasey January 27, 2011

Beautiful post!!! I have to remind myself every so often to be mindful and appreciate each moment!

141 Alaina January 28, 2011

Winter gloom always gets me down. If the sun isn’t out, I need to figure out a way to make the sun shine inside. :-)

142 Sarah @ Flavoropolis January 28, 2011

It’s a beautiful quote. To me it means that we have to control our focus, because otherwise life will pass us by. We all have a purpose but we can only follow it if we focus on it and remember what it is.

143 Elin @andserenitytoo January 28, 2011

Thank you for this! Love the idea of the daily glow. Have to say your blog is so inspiring!

144 Nicole Iwaszko January 28, 2011

I don’t normally post but I read your blog everyday and this one struck me. What a great idea and it totally put a smile on my face on this wintry day. And reminded me of a quote that I liked to think of if my day had started off in a negative way. “You can chose to be negative or you can chose to be positive, whatever you chose just remember its your choice.”

145 Nicole January 28, 2011

Seriously I can’t spell…lol. I meant choose not chose!

146 juicylove2 February 13, 2011

Thank you Daily Glow. I too had been dwelling on my Eating Disorder, your Blog has given me
hope and motivation to carry on.
XOXO