Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

IMG_9532

Hi there! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Many of you have been asking me how you can subscribe via email and I finally figured it out (Feedburner)!

It only took me 2 years, but better late than never right?

You can click each widget and it will bring you to that page. Pretty snazzy, I know.

I am also working hard on my new Frequently Asked Questions page, found at the top of my website called ‘FAQ’. You can check it out here. I am not finished yet, but like to think of it as a work in progress!

And finally, I have a delicious breakfast bar recipe to share with you. I made these last week and they they make a perfect snack bar when you are running out the door and need a boost, but not a sugar crash.

IMG_9526

The first thing you do is mix one big chia egg with fresh lemon juice!

IMG_9379

I love this recipe because there are 3 full tablespoons of chia seeds. You could also sprinkle more chia seeds on top before baking if you wanted too.

IMG_9383

Mix together the dry ingredients.

IMG_9400

And the wet ingredients in another bowl:

IMG_9402

Add wet to dry and mix well.

IMG_9407

Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F, cool, and slice!

IMG_9416

The flavour is outstanding. I am not much of a ‘lemon flavour’ person, but I just love the flavour of these bars. They are like a tropical macaroon bar with a wonderful chewy texture and pistachio crunch!

IMG_9532

I rarely bake with Agave nectar, but I used it in this recipe because I find that the flavour of Agave goes well with lemon. I’m sure you could substitute the agave for another liquid sweetener if you wanted though.

IMG_9526

Something tells me I could use these for my 7 miler long-run fuel today…I better get cracking!

1 Angela January 23, 2011

This looks amazing! I’ll surely be making this today- I have to thank you for introducing me to chia ;-D

2 Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 23, 2011

These look so tempting.

3 Freya January 23, 2011

Yum! The widgets look really good too.

4 Camille January 23, 2011

These bars look 100% like Spring! I can’t wait to whip this recipe out next time I see the sun :)

5 ashley@quasichick January 23, 2011

You had me at lemon and coconut!! Some of my 2 favorite things..I too was feeling tropical yesterday and made a yummy fruit salad with pineapple, oranges, and watermelon! Love the widgets..they look great!

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

mmm fruit salad :)

7 jen @ taste life January 23, 2011

Those pictures are quite beautiful. And those look really good, what an array of interesting flavors!

8 Richelle January 23, 2011

I bet these taste amazing, will have to try them as soon as I can find pistachios. Thanks.

9 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 23, 2011

we have plenty pistachios over here but they’re SO expensive. I mean, two EURO per 100 grams (3.5 ounce) is not normal is it?

10 Katie January 23, 2011

I am loving on pistachios lately, so this is perfect!

11 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 23, 2011

Oh wow Ange! I’m not really a coconut person but I don’t think it’s possible NOT to like these!! The photos are gorgeous. And great job on the blog renovations! :D I hope you’re having a great weekend!

12 Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 23, 2011

haha YES, I had actually been wondering that myself, how to subscribe via email to osg. there’s also WP plugins for it by the way!

I love your buttons, I also made new buttons yesterday, pink and lady-like ;)

love the bars, but what a long name ;)

13 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 23, 2011

Look great! Oh, and I like the new buttons! :D

14 Jess@atasteofconfidence January 23, 2011

Like the new widgets!

15 Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) January 23, 2011

Coconut & Pistachios? Yes please! I already made the frozen chocolate coconut bananas today, your almond butter bites yesterday (with Maranatha DCAB!), and was thinking about making your maple baked beans as well. I wonder if these hold up to freezing? Not that it wouldn’t keep me from gnawing on them all anyway…

I have a HUGE sweet tooth and am trying to cut WAY back because all the baked goods make me feel pretty crappy. I made your carrot cake cookies the other day, ate them all within 24 hours (sometimes 4/5 at once), yet I didn’t have that gross feeling afterwards. I’m not sure if it’s the change in sweetener used or even the lack of butter (although I don’t think I have a dairy problem), but I was really happy to not have that sick feeling when I overdo it. Not that I should eat all the cookies at once…

16 catherine January 23, 2011

oh this looks yummy! this is on my list of baking for the week, thank you! let’s hope i can manage to share them…

17 Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 23, 2011

Looks yummy! Do you have a ton of leftovers in your fridge with all of this baking??

18 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

I store things in the freezer and Eric often takes baked goods to work to share with co workers. Adding this to my FAQ! lol

19 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 23, 2011

What a great way to lighten up a dreary winter day! Love it! :)

20 kell January 23, 2011

i love lemon and cant wait to try these!

i do have a question for you – i have always gotten (and loved) the “light” agave nectar and sort of by accident i just bought the “dark” kind instead – to me it tastes WAY different and i really dont like it very much . . . which kind did you use in this recipe?? just wondering if i should chalk it up to a costly mistake, throw it away, and go back for my beloved “light” kind – or if the flavor is more masked in recipes like these?? any thoughts? thanks!!

21 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

I used Dark blue in this recipe and I loved the taste!

22 Moni'sMeals January 23, 2011

I am totally going to make these! I have everything I need. Great for pre and post workout fuel. :)

I love the new tweeks to your site, well done and they “Glow!”

23 Carolyn January 23, 2011

Those bars look fantastic. Can’t wait to try them out.

24 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 23, 2011

These look delicious! I love lemon, cranberry and coconut, so the combo will taste AMAZING!

And I noticed your widgets this morning, and wondered how long they’d been there! Thought I had just been unobservant! :P

25 eatmovelove January 23, 2011

A bar like that for breakfast!? Twist my arm :)

Chia seeds freak me out a little though…the whole expanding thing – it’s one of my weird phobias? ;)…and I keep thinking they’ll grow in my stomach or something! …I know, I know…

26 Baking 'n' Books January 23, 2011

A bar like that for breakfast!? Twist my arm :)

27 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 23, 2011

I love the new buttons! I should get some cute ones, I love icons, especially since they make everything so much easier! Lately I’ve been loving chia seeds too, they’re just so expensive! Do you have a place where you get them in bulk?

p.s. These bars look diVINE, I really ought to switch up my breakfast routine:)

28 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 23, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – you make the prettiest food! :) These look fantastic – I’m going to make these to fuel my crazy workout week.

LOVE the widgets! How did you make them? They have a great, “clean” look to them.

29 Allison @ Food For Healing January 23, 2011

those are so close to what I seen at starbucks yesterday! weird.

30 Liv January 23, 2011

Hi Angela!
New additions to the site are looking wonderful! I was just wondering.. can you buy chia seeds from a regular grocery store, or do you usually get them from a health food store?

31 Roz January 23, 2011

Great widgets. I love your blog layout, it’s really easy to scroll through, look at your great photos, admire your adorable kitty and find delicious recipes. Thanks for all the work on the site!!!!

32 Beach Bum Beauty January 23, 2011

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but what are chia seeds? I can’t seem to find them in the UK :-(

33 Charlie January 23, 2011

These bars look so good! I really need an easy breakfast for when I’m late (hum… always). Need to make them!

34 Devon January 23, 2011

These look amazing!!! YUM!!!! The colors are just gorgeous!

35 Emily January 23, 2011

These look really yummy! I like the idea of a macaroon flavored bar :)

36 Bridget January 23, 2011

I love the colour of pistachios. They give such a nice punch of green to these bars!

Hope you have a great run! You can do it!

37 Bronwyn Coyne January 23, 2011

OH I love lemon. It’s soooooo good in baked goods. Yum Yum Yum.

38 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 23, 2011

These look delicious! I’ve been iffy about baking with chia seeds though because I heard somewhere that chia seeds loose nutritional value with cooking. Do you have any idea if there is any truth to this?

39 Ashley January 23, 2011

As always, your recipe is making my mouth water.

40 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 23, 2011

This is the kind of recipe that I can just tell by looking that it’s DELICIOUS!!

41 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 23, 2011

These look so chewy and delicious!

42 kayli (Running on Sunshine) January 23, 2011

I hope you have better long-run weather than I do! I have piles and piles of snow– guess I’ll be spending some quality time with the dreadmill. ho hum

43 wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 23, 2011

Is it possible that you have outdone yourself? These appear to be the most amazing combination of flavors and textures! I just wish I had the energy right now to go into my kitchen and make them, but, alas, I was up until 2 am last night and I must take a nap now! Perhaps tomorrow . . . thank you Angela!

44 lauren January 23, 2011

these look full of awesome flavor and health!

45 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 23, 2011

With every recipe, I love you a little bit more.

46 Alex @ Healing Beauty January 23, 2011

I absolutely love anything that is tropical flavored! I also think these would make a great, light dessert, maybe served with some fresh fruit!

47 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 23, 2011

Wow.wow.wow. these look amazing!!

48 Nico January 23, 2011

these look so yummy! I have been wanting to incorporate chia seeds into my diet; this sounds great!

49 Sana January 23, 2011

I love the fun colors of your widgets!

50 Gina January 23, 2011

If these bars and widgets don’t scream Spring, I don’t know what does :)
& Spring can’t come soon enough!
Yet another great recipe, Angela!

51 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy January 23, 2011

I’m loving the extra oat-i-ness of this recipe. This has pre-workout fuel written all over it.

52 Ellie@fitforthesoul January 23, 2011

Oh woww Angela! You’re so good with computers! (even though Eric is your standby techy) How do you do all that? I’m honestly sooooo behind at least a century in technology that the mere fact that I just started and somehow ‘prettied’ up my baby blog (to the best of my abilities) is a MIRACLE. It sure motivates me to learn more! Mmmmm those look delish. Bring on any bar out there and I’ll gobble it up. <3

53 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 23, 2011

Your bars look awesome! YUM!

And way to go doing all that blog work and those updates! Wow!

The brighly colored link/buttons POP!

And the FAQ page you said not being done but a work in progress…yes, that’s they way blogs are. They are never done. Just about the time you think you’re “done” a huge brainchild of an idea comes to you, and you sink another 40 hours of behind the scenes work into it. Dont ask me how i know this :)

Enjoy your Sunday, Angela!

54 Ash January 23, 2011

Umm….

I really, really want to make these now.
like, REALLY want to lol.

Must go get ingredients!

55 elise January 23, 2011

i was just about to say im not much of a lemon person, but then you said the same thing…and they look outstanding…another starred recipe added to my lsit! i FINALLY got around to making the black eyed pea masala dish and i loved it. so thanks :)

56 Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 23, 2011

What a wonderful way to use chia seeds!!!

57 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 23, 2011

Yum! Those look great. Good luck on your 7 miler!

58 Amelia January 23, 2011

Dang! Those look delicious. :) I think I may need to whip up a batch to pack in my lunches this week. They would also be a great snack to have in the evenings when I have classes.

59 bitt of raw January 23, 2011

wheat-free! thanks.

60 Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) January 23, 2011

I just made these! I used ground orange peel instead of the lemon zest because I was feeling lazy. Even still, they’re VERY lemony! I also used honey in place of the agave. I loved how they made the house smell all nice and coconut-y. I ate one bar, but now I’m off to wrap up the rest and stash in the freezer.

61 Christine (The Raw Project) January 23, 2011

Awesome job on the bars, they look divine! Thanks! And the updates look great too.

62 Christine January 23, 2011

Hi Angela, I’m new to your blog after a recommendation from the mycrazysexylife website. I’m so happy to have found your site and to have read your story. I am transitioning to being vegan but live with a meat and potatoes man so some days it’s tough if he cooks! Anyway – these bars as well as so many other recipes look delicious! I was just wondering with some of your other breads if you have experimented with gluten free flours. I’m scared to try them out when they are not as hearty as regular flours would be (I am escpecially thinking of the gingerbread and the cherry coconut bread – I am in food heaven). Sorry for the long post but thanks for discovering your true self and for sharing it with all of us!

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

Hey Christine! Thanks for your kind words. :) I have not experimented much with GF flours at all I am afraid. I have heard really good things about Bob’s Red Mill all purpose GF flour though.

64 Emily @ Emily Says January 23, 2011

Yum. My mouth is watering looking at these!

65 jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 23, 2011

i love lemon bars… i’m thinking maybe this is a healthier version for me since i could eat an entire loaf pan of those things

66 Hannah January 23, 2011

A whole millions worlds of yes. Despite my chocolate addiction, when it comes to dessert I prefer the tang of lemons. This is absolutely going to the top(ish) of my ‘to make’ list!! Lemon and coconut and chia, oh my!

67 Sophia @ Raven Waves January 23, 2011

These look great! Love coconut! Looking forward to your new FAQ page!

68 Lana January 23, 2011

These look delicious!! I hope the 7-miler went well!!!

69 Nicole January 23, 2011

Oh my goodness girl! I LOVE the wholesome list of ingredients you use, you’re amazing. I’m definitely printing this recipe + after hunting down some coconut I’ll so jump on these :) thank you so much~!

70 Casey Thomas January 24, 2011

These look soooo good!
I made an awesome little raw dessert/snack on the weekend with lemon juice and zest. I think I’ll post them on my blog this week.

71 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 24, 2011

you had me at tropical…anything to transport me somewhere tropical is exactly what i want!

72 Marit January 24, 2011

Well… again you have proven that vegan doesn’t have to be all healthy and boring…
i love the idea of these but i’d need to replace the nuts with something… i wonder if dried apples or apricots would be a good substitute…

I’ll have to try…

Hugs Marit

73 Shanna January 24, 2011

Just wanted to give a shout to Canada since I’m in your neck of the woods (Ottawa)…err sorta close to you, no?

I left Cali at 70deg and arrived here at -10deg. HOLY BEJESUS! BRRRRrrrrrrrrrr

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 24, 2011

haha that’s amazing…and it even warmed up today!

75 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 24, 2011

Those look like the perfect snack bar – healthy, but dessert-like enough to satisfy my raging sweet tooth!

76 AGS January 24, 2011

First, these look very tasty, and similar to a cookie I make with coconut oil (but healthier!).

Second, I was wondering if you might consider a couple posts on vegitarian/vegn grilling (perhaps after it warms up). My husband and I finally have a grill, and we’d like to try grilling beyond the usual meat — we’ve done veggies, pizza, and fish. . . but besides a garden/veggie burger, there don’t seem to be many intriguing non-meat grilling options. It’s between 10 and 25 F where we are, and we still use the grill. . . but I’m willing to be patient, of course!

Third, I happen to purchase a bread made with ground quinoa — a great, vegan, high-protein option! I was curious whether you’d take on the challenge of coming up with a quinoa roll/bread recipe.

77 Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner January 24, 2011

Oh my goodess!!! These look insanely delicious!!! I want to eat them right off the screen! :D

78 Liette January 25, 2011

Hi Angela,

I can’t wait to try this recipe but I have on quick question, I have everything but the cranberry’s. I have looked everywhere…. What kind do you use? I can’t see to find them unsweetened and where the only ingredient mentioned is the berry. I have found green raisins that only have green raisin as the ingredient.

Love you Blog, it’s the first thing I look at when I login… shhh don’t tell my boss!

79 Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey January 26, 2011

Angela, I am seriously tempted to step into my kitchen and make these right this second! I am totally not a lemon person normally, but for some reason these look amazing. It also helps that you said you’re not a huge lemon-lover yourself, but that you really like these bars! Alright, that’s it. I’m off to make them. Thank you!

80 Catriona January 28, 2011

I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now but not commenting. However, I thought you might like to know that I made these (with a tiny tweak or two – banana instead of applesauce) to put on sale in our local community café. I tried out some samples on a few people and EVERYONE adored them. I guess they may even become a fixture now!

81 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2011

wow that is so cool!!! Thanks for sharing :)

82 Lindsey Deon February 1, 2011

Hi Anglea,
I love your website and recipes! I hold Bake Sales to raise money for homeless animals. I have been able to raise thousands of dollars mainly by selling Pumpkin and Banana Breads but am trying to change over to all Vegan recipes. I find it is more expensive and sometimes does not make the large quanities that I am use to with traditional baking. Do you have any ideas or advice on how to hold a successful Vegan Bake Sale?
Lindsey

83 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 1, 2011

What about recipes that yield bite sized things like squares? I have a lot on my recipes page.

84 janet February 16, 2011

Hi Angela, Do these need to be refrigerated?

85 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 16, 2011

I don’t think they have to be…I keep mine in the freezer though. I do think they would keep longer in the fridge, but its up to you! :)

86 ann April 18, 2012

This will translate really well to a raw recipe by leaving out the baking powder using raw applesauce and dehydrating rather than baking. I want to keep the enzymes in! Thanks

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 18, 2012

aw great idea!

88 Wendy April 19, 2012

Oh my word. These are superb. I added a 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips and a tsp of orange extract. HEAVEN!!

89 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 19, 2012

Thanks Wendy! Great add ons :)

90 Sheena April 20, 2012

I just made these last night and they are AMAZING Angela!
I have to eat a diet low in sugars, gluten, nut (almonds) and dairy free and so this was the perfect combination.
Keep up the great work!

91 Stephen July 24, 2012

I’ve been getting really into your blog recently, everything looks so tasty and healthy!
I wanted to know, you use chia seeds very often, do you grind them or leave them whole?

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 25, 2012

Hey Stephen, I usually leave them whole – unlike flax seed, chia seeds do not have to be ground for the nutrients to be absorbed. Another reason why I love them!

93 Stephen July 25, 2012

Awesome, thank you so much! Can’t wait to start trying out all your recipes! :D

94 dragana September 25, 2012

just made this. great recipe!

95 stephanie November 30, 2012

Trying to figure out how to soak the oatmeal ahead of time but it seems complicated!!

96 Jolyane March 15, 2013

Just made those and they were amazing!! thank you

97 Sasha March 21, 2013

I made these the other day and they are zoo delicious! I substituted whole wheat flour for the oat flour and pumpkin seeds for the pistachios and they still turned out perfect!

I’ve shared them on my blog, along with some photos.

98 Kristine April 30, 2013

Love these! I made them this past week, and they were amazing! Needless to say, my family devoured them. I added dried pineapple, the sugary, sulfured, not-so-good-for-you kind, and it definitely upped the tropical level. Next time I might try fresh pineapple chunks. They’re like lemon bars that just got back from Hawaii. I also used cashews instead of pistachios, because that’s what I had (I’m thinking macadamias would be killer); and I used 1 cup of whole wheat flour rather than the processed oats, because I’m lazy.

Love the good stuff. Keep it comin’!

99 Aarti Varma October 20, 2013

I made these! The texture was really good though I found it way too tart and I am a lemon person! Maybe my lemons were just too acidic? Next time I would cut the lemon in half

100 Meaghann Clope April 14, 2014

This is the third time I am making these and they are so good I can’t help myself from licking the bowl clean! Thank you for another amazingly healthy and delicious recipe!

101 Danielle May 5, 2014

I made these bars this weekend and had them for breakfast this morning. They have a wonderful light summery flavor. Each component of the bars (pistachios, cranberries, coconut, lemon) stood out on its own and yet the flavors melded together perfectly.

I baked mine in a rectangular glass pan that’s a bit narrower than an 8×8 pan. But I feel that even if I did use an 8×8, cutting the bars into 16 would be too small for a filling breakfast. I would probably cut into 9 squares. I ate 1/6 of my pan this morning along with a half banana and that was enough for me. 16 small squares would work great for a party snack or light dessert.

102 Tessa March 13, 2015

These sound awesome! Is there any reason to use agave nectar other than for sweetner? Just trying to find recipes with low-glucose/sugars and agave nectar is high on that scale.

Thanks for sharing!

103 Sam August 15, 2015

Would there be a way to do this whilst excluding any coconut products? Unfortunately coconut is one of my several food intolerances :(

104 Robin September 2, 2015

I made these for my yoga meetup group and everyone loved them! Some of the girls even asked to keep the few that didn’t get eaten. We had a few squares leftover and they lasted great in the fridge for nearly a week. Super simple recipe and very tasty. I added some chopped, no sugar added dried pineapple.
I’ll be making these again.

105 Regina February 11, 2016

These were DELICIOUS! Used more applesauce instead of coconut oil, less coconut and added some goji berries and walnuts instead of pistachios but the lemon flavor was amazing! Absolutely loved these.