Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

IMG 9532 thumb1   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

Hi there! I hope you are enjoying your weekend.

Many of you have been asking me how you can subscribe via email and I finally figured it out (Feedburner)!

It only took me 2 years, but better late than never right?

You can click each widget and it will bring you to that page. Pretty snazzy, I know.

I am also working hard on my new Frequently Asked Questions page, found at the top of my website called ‘FAQ’. You can check it out here. I am not finished yet, but like to think of it as a work in progress!

And finally, I have a delicious breakfast bar recipe to share with you. I made these last week and they they make a perfect snack bar when you are running out the door and need a boost, but not a sugar crash.

IMG 9526 thumb1   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

The first thing you do is mix one big chia egg with fresh lemon juice!

IMG 9379 thumb   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

I love this recipe because there are 3 full tablespoons of chia seeds. You could also sprinkle more chia seeds on top before baking if you wanted too.

IMG 9383 thumb3   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

Mix together the dry ingredients.

IMG 9400 thumb   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

And the wet ingredients in another bowl:

IMG 9402 thumb   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

Add wet to dry and mix well.

IMG 9407 thumb   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

Bake for about 20 minutes at 350F, cool, and slice!

IMG 9416 thumb   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

The flavour is outstanding. I am not much of a ‘lemon flavour’ person, but I just love the flavour of these bars. They are like a tropical macaroon bar with a wonderful chewy texture and pistachio crunch!

IMG 9532 thumb2   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

I rarely bake with Agave nectar, but I used it in this recipe because I find that the flavour of Agave goes well with lemon. I’m sure you could substitute the agave for another liquid sweetener if you wanted though.

IMG 9526 thumb2   Tropical Lemon Cranberry Coconut Chia Bars

Something tells me I could use these for my 7 miler long-run fuel today…I better get cracking!

Angela January 23, 2011

This looks amazing! I’ll surely be making this today- I have to thank you for introducing me to chia ;-D

Sruthi @ Exercise, Food & Beyond January 23, 2011

These look so tempting.

Freya January 23, 2011

Yum! The widgets look really good too.

Camille January 23, 2011

These bars look 100% like Spring! I can’t wait to whip this recipe out next time I see the sun :)

ashley@quasichick January 23, 2011

You had me at lemon and coconut!! Some of my 2 favorite things..I too was feeling tropical yesterday and made a yummy fruit salad with pineapple, oranges, and watermelon! Love the widgets..they look great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

mmm fruit salad :)

jen @ taste life January 23, 2011

Those pictures are quite beautiful. And those look really good, what an array of interesting flavors!

Richelle January 23, 2011

I bet these taste amazing, will have to try them as soon as I can find pistachios. Thanks.

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 23, 2011

we have plenty pistachios over here but they’re SO expensive. I mean, two EURO per 100 grams (3.5 ounce) is not normal is it?

Katie January 23, 2011

I am loving on pistachios lately, so this is perfect!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 23, 2011

Oh wow Ange! I’m not really a coconut person but I don’t think it’s possible NOT to like these!! The photos are gorgeous. And great job on the blog renovations! :D I hope you’re having a great weekend!

Sabine @ thefruitpursuit January 23, 2011

haha YES, I had actually been wondering that myself, how to subscribe via email to osg. there’s also WP plugins for it by the way!

I love your buttons, I also made new buttons yesterday, pink and lady-like ;)

love the bars, but what a long name ;)

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 23, 2011

Look great! Oh, and I like the new buttons! :D

Jess@atasteofconfidence January 23, 2011

Like the new widgets!

Nicole (I have trouble with forward motion) January 23, 2011

Coconut & Pistachios? Yes please! I already made the frozen chocolate coconut bananas today, your almond butter bites yesterday (with Maranatha DCAB!), and was thinking about making your maple baked beans as well. I wonder if these hold up to freezing? Not that it wouldn’t keep me from gnawing on them all anyway…

I have a HUGE sweet tooth and am trying to cut WAY back because all the baked goods make me feel pretty crappy. I made your carrot cake cookies the other day, ate them all within 24 hours (sometimes 4/5 at once), yet I didn’t have that gross feeling afterwards. I’m not sure if it’s the change in sweetener used or even the lack of butter (although I don’t think I have a dairy problem), but I was really happy to not have that sick feeling when I overdo it. Not that I should eat all the cookies at once…

catherine January 23, 2011

oh this looks yummy! this is on my list of baking for the week, thank you! let’s hope i can manage to share them…

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life January 23, 2011

Looks yummy! Do you have a ton of leftovers in your fridge with all of this baking??

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

I store things in the freezer and Eric often takes baked goods to work to share with co workers. Adding this to my FAQ! lol

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 23, 2011

What a great way to lighten up a dreary winter day! Love it! :)

kell January 23, 2011

i love lemon and cant wait to try these!

i do have a question for you – i have always gotten (and loved) the “light” agave nectar and sort of by accident i just bought the “dark” kind instead – to me it tastes WAY different and i really dont like it very much . . . which kind did you use in this recipe?? just wondering if i should chalk it up to a costly mistake, throw it away, and go back for my beloved “light” kind – or if the flavor is more masked in recipes like these?? any thoughts? thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 23, 2011

I used Dark blue in this recipe and I loved the taste!

Moni'sMeals January 23, 2011

I am totally going to make these! I have everything I need. Great for pre and post workout fuel. :)

I love the new tweeks to your site, well done and they “Glow!”

Carolyn January 23, 2011

Those bars look fantastic. Can’t wait to try them out.

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 23, 2011

These look delicious! I love lemon, cranberry and coconut, so the combo will taste AMAZING!

And I noticed your widgets this morning, and wondered how long they’d been there! Thought I had just been unobservant! :P

eatmovelove January 23, 2011

A bar like that for breakfast!? Twist my arm :)

Chia seeds freak me out a little though…the whole expanding thing – it’s one of my weird phobias? ;)…and I keep thinking they’ll grow in my stomach or something! …I know, I know…

Baking 'n' Books January 23, 2011

A bar like that for breakfast!? Twist my arm :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 23, 2011

I love the new buttons! I should get some cute ones, I love icons, especially since they make everything so much easier! Lately I’ve been loving chia seeds too, they’re just so expensive! Do you have a place where you get them in bulk?

p.s. These bars look diVINE, I really ought to switch up my breakfast routine:)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 23, 2011

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – you make the prettiest food! :) These look fantastic – I’m going to make these to fuel my crazy workout week.

LOVE the widgets! How did you make them? They have a great, “clean” look to them.

Allison @ Food For Healing January 23, 2011

those are so close to what I seen at starbucks yesterday! weird.

Liv January 23, 2011

Hi Angela!
New additions to the site are looking wonderful! I was just wondering.. can you buy chia seeds from a regular grocery store, or do you usually get them from a health food store?

Roz January 23, 2011

Great widgets. I love your blog layout, it’s really easy to scroll through, look at your great photos, admire your adorable kitty and find delicious recipes. Thanks for all the work on the site!!!!

Beach Bum Beauty January 23, 2011

I hope this isn’t a stupid question, but what are chia seeds? I can’t seem to find them in the UK :-(

Charlie January 23, 2011

These bars look so good! I really need an easy breakfast for when I’m late (hum… always). Need to make them!

Devon January 23, 2011

These look amazing!!! YUM!!!! The colors are just gorgeous!

Emily January 23, 2011

These look really yummy! I like the idea of a macaroon flavored bar :)

Bridget January 23, 2011

I love the colour of pistachios. They give such a nice punch of green to these bars!

Hope you have a great run! You can do it!

Bronwyn Coyne January 23, 2011

OH I love lemon. It’s soooooo good in baked goods. Yum Yum Yum.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 23, 2011

These look delicious! I’ve been iffy about baking with chia seeds though because I heard somewhere that chia seeds loose nutritional value with cooking. Do you have any idea if there is any truth to this?

Ashley January 23, 2011

As always, your recipe is making my mouth water.

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher January 23, 2011

This is the kind of recipe that I can just tell by looking that it’s DELICIOUS!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 23, 2011

These look so chewy and delicious!

kayli (Running on Sunshine) January 23, 2011

I hope you have better long-run weather than I do! I have piles and piles of snow– guess I’ll be spending some quality time with the dreadmill. ho hum

wendy (healthy girl's kitchen) January 23, 2011

Is it possible that you have outdone yourself? These appear to be the most amazing combination of flavors and textures! I just wish I had the energy right now to go into my kitchen and make them, but, alas, I was up until 2 am last night and I must take a nap now! Perhaps tomorrow . . . thank you Angela!

lauren January 23, 2011

these look full of awesome flavor and health!

Page 1 of 3123»