Classic Green Monster

It is hard to believe that the 2-year anniversary of the Green Monster is coming up on January 20th!

In January 2009, I felt a huge void in my life. I was unhappy with my career and I was often up late at night until 3 or 4 in the morning worrying about work. I dragged all day long and I was turning into someone I didn’t recognize anymore. I started blending green vegetables in my blender after reading about Kris Carr’s green juices. While I didn’t have a juicer, I did have a blender, and I was excited to blend my green ‘juice’ any way that I could.

In my Story of the Green Monster post, I explained:

Determined to feel alive once again, I crammed the healthiest foods into my blender and I blended my little heart out. Of course, the first few attempts looked horrific and they tasted no better. But, I didn’t care. I drank every last drop of those green monsters before I made the long commute to work each morning. The green monster not only gave me energy, but it represented something much deeper than that- inner peace and self-love. I knew that the stress I had put myself through over the past few years was nothing short of damaging to every cell in my body. I created the Green Monsters as a way to take time out for my health. Even if I knew it was going to be a hellish day, drinking my Green Monster in the morning provided me with a sense of calm in my life.

This was one of my first concoctions:

img_4414_thumb

No almond milk, just kale, an English cucumber, and baby carrots. lol. It was scary to say the least!

img_4419_thumb

Thankfully, my Green Monsters have improved greatly since those initial days.

On January 26, 2009, I gave my two weeks notice at my job. It was a very, very bad week for me and I was at an all-time low in my life. I drank those green monsters every single morning despite everything going on. I imagined that I was Popeye with superhuman strength. And boy did I need it.

I still receive a lot of emails and tweets from people who have just tried their first green monster. Many people have challenged themselves to drink Green Monsters in 2011 and I’m always excited to hear about other’s experiences! The most frequent message I receive is, ‘I thought they looked so gross, but they actually taste so delicious! Now I am hooked.’

I am also asked a lot what my classic go-to recipe is so I thought it would be fun to do a post on my most frequently enjoyed Green Monster recipe.

This is a recipe that I keep coming back to again and again and it never fails me.

IMG_8945

065A4548

Classic Green Monster Smoothie

Vegan, gluten-free, grain-free, no bake/raw, oil-free, refined sugar-free, soy-free

By

To this day, Green Monsters are one of my favorite drinks for glowing skin and increased energy. If you are newbie, feel free to start off with baby spinach since its taste is undetectable, but I encourage you to experiment with kale, romaine lettuce, or other leafy greens as well. Just be sure to use a sturdy high-speed blender that can handle the task of blending thick greens.  If your blender is on the weaker side, stick with spinach as it blends much easier.

Yield

• 1 tablespoon almond butter or peanut butter
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed
  • Pinch of ground cinnamon
  • 1 scoop of your favourite protein powder, optional
  • 2 to 3 ice cubes

Directions:

1. Add all ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.

Tips:

IMG_8942

When I am feeling a little frisky, I love to add in some powders too! I keep Navitas Maca powder, Vega Shake & Go, and Amazing Grass Wheat Grass on hand whenever the budget allows.

IMG_8948

Yesterday I added into the classic mix: 1 tsp Maca, 1 tbsp Vanilla Almond Shake & Go, and 1/2 scoop wheatgrass powder. It was my first time trying Vega Vanilla Almond and I thought it was pretty good, but I greatly prefer the Choc-O-lot flavour. I love making a Chocolate-Mint GM using Vega’s Choc-O-Lot and some fresh mint leaves.

Add your liquid in first. This just helps the blender do its job better.

IMG_8951

Next add in your powders, chia seeds or ground flax, and your nut butter:

IMG_8952

Now add the greens. I use two handfuls of whatever green I have on hand. I most often use spinach, but I also like to use red or green kale now that my Vita-Mix can handle it.

IMG_8953

Finally, add the banana. The weight helps pack all the ingredients down!

IMG_8954

Blend away until smooth!

IMG_8956

I added in 2 large ice cubes and blended some more.

Pour into a glass and enjoy!

IMG_8957

I love my Glass Dharma straw.

Mmm, this one is absolutely delicious. Creamy, sweet, smooth, and loaded with nutrients!

IMG_8958

I’m always asked how I can drink smoothies during the cold winter months and my answer is easy:

I often drink Green Monsters following my workout when I am often craving something liquid and cold.

IMG_8967

I’m also always asked if you can taste the spinach and the answer is no. =) Kale, on the other hand…YES (unless you make it super sweet to overpower the bitter quality of the kale).

Good to the last drop!

IMG_8971

Other Mentionables:

1) Need more encouragement to eat your veggies? Check out this article: ‘Want a Golden Glow? Don’t Bother with a Suntan- Eat Your Greens Instead.

2) My Winter 2011 training plan is now up on my Races page. I will be talking about this in more detail soon!

3) Check out these 30 new Green Monster reader recipes on GMM.

Are you a smoothie or ‘Green Monster’ fan? What’s your favourite go-to recipe?

1 Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 13, 2011

Diggin’ the classic! Great reminder that I need to make me one of this bad boys soon!

2 Kristy @ KristyRuns January 13, 2011

I drink a green monster several times a week! I usually add a banana, frozen mixed berries, spinach, and soy milk. LOVE! I credit these to keeping my iron levels high despite not eating meat. Hmmm…sounds like a good mid-morning snack… ;)

3 Daniel January 13, 2011

There’s something satisfying about putting greens into my smoothie that I can’t put into words, but it’s definitely there.

Generally I toss in a tablespoon of flax, a handful or two of greens (kind of limited seeing as organic doesn’t really exist in my town and kale is as foreign as it gets here), half of a frozen banana, some roasted squash for thickness, and then I pour in the almond or soy milk as I go along to get to a creamy, pea-soup like thickness. I prefer to eat my smoothies with a spoon rather than drinking them. ;)

4 Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two January 13, 2011

I’ve never made a green monster but after hearing so much about it on here, I’d say its about time I give it a try :) I’m a HUGE fan of any kind of smoothie, so I’m sure I would love it. Thanks for promoting such healthy and GOOD recipes!

5 Halley (Blunder Construction) January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! Reading about yours over the summer got me interested, and I think I made one every single hot summer morning! They are the best!

6 Cathy Breit January 13, 2011

These have changed the way I look at greens, literally! Chocolate green monster, anyone? Thanks for opening my mind, OSG!!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

7 Katy (The Singing Runner) January 13, 2011

I love Green Monsters! I have them at least 4 times a week! :D People think I’m crazy but I’m addicted to them!

8 Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014

Me too Katy!! It truly is an addiction!

9 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 13, 2011

I didn’t actually know your full story behind the GM, but I have to say THANK YOU x100000 for introducing me to them! I start almost every day with one and they have made such a difference in my energy levels, overall health (and I think) my immune system. Oh, and they’re freakin delicious!! :)

10 Katie January 13, 2011

How is your Vitamix SO clean?!?! Mine is…um…not so clear anymore. I swear I wash it everytime too.

11 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

I have that problem too….sometimes I use one of those scrubber pads + lots of dish soap and hot water to get it clear again!

12 Sharon January 13, 2011

Rinse it out…add water and soap and run it on medium (not too high or you will have lots of bubbles!)…gives it a nice pre-wash and shakes out all the bits and seeds that get caught around the blades!

13 thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 13, 2011

I always almost weep at your story :)

I have made tons of green monsters, I mostly make them pink or purple haha so they are easier to drink for me.

x sabine

14 Nancy V January 13, 2011

lol, ok so I’m not the only one… mine end up being purple thanks to blueberries ;)

15 Amanda R. January 13, 2011

I spent my entire 8am lecture dreaming of green monsters, dashed back to my dorm to make one, and sat down to enjoy it while checking to see if you had posted this morning yet…..I think we might be on the same brain wave this morning! especially since mine was a classic, with a TBSP of chocolate- peanut butter! i love being green <3

16 Mimi January 13, 2011

If it wasn’t for you, I would have never tried a Green Monster. That being said, thank goodness for you! (:

17 Suzanne January 13, 2011

I cant wait to try these! Thank you so very much! Ill be stopping by the store on my way home from work. :)

18 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 13, 2011

Lately my life has been quite rough, so I’ve been having at least one green smoothie every day. Most of the time I have them first thing in the morning, and I notice a change in myself throughout the day for the better, and every day even better than the last!

Thank you for spreading the green smoothie love, I truly believe it’s something that can help ANYONE’S and EVERYONE’S health for the better (body and soul!), whether they need a pick-me-up or not:)

19 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious January 13, 2011

i am a huge green monster fan….i just started adding fresh mint to mine and love it. i actually just posted my fav all green smoothie yesterday…i can actually feel a difference when i don’t have it. it boosts my energy and mood!!

20 kelly January 13, 2011

I like drinking green monsters as my ‘juice’ to go with an egg & cheese sandwich (since it has no veggies or fruit). Makes for a complete breakfast! :)

21 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 13, 2011

I always add spinach to my smoothies since I hate veggies so much. But my other must haves are frozen bananas and frozen cherries!

22 Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey January 13, 2011

I just started drinking Green Monsters at the start of the new year. I had always *meant* to, but never got into the habit until now. I haven’t tried adding any nut butters to them, though I may have to try that soon. (I rec’d a 14 cup Cuisinart for Xmas and have been making nut butters like crazy since then!). :)

~

23 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 13, 2011

This combo was actually my first green monster!! Definitely tasty :D

24 Beach Bum Beauty January 13, 2011

Well you’re persuasive! I am not going to try one of these, they don’t look half as scary as they sound, excited now! Thank you again for getting me to try something I would previously have avoided :-)

25 Lisa January 13, 2011

Yum. I just recently started drinking Green Monsters and got my boyfriends hooked on them as well! I usually make a recipe pretty similar to the classic, but without nut butter. I’ll try adding that next time. Our blender just broke so I am anxiously waiting on our new one to arrive – I have some spinach to eat! I love being able to pack so much good healthy food into one little smoothie.

26 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 13, 2011

I’m so glad I discovered the GM via OSG. Its quickly become one of my favorite go-tos for a healthy snack!

27 Camille January 13, 2011

I have been having a classic GM almost every day for lunch lately :) It is such a perfect meal and it makes my skin glow :)

28 Val @ Balancing Val January 13, 2011

LOVE this!

2 years ago I started experimenting with putting greens in my protein shakes when I was a wanna be bodybuilder.

I enjoy mine so much more now. I call mine swamp shakes because they have a brown color to them but its amazing how much energy you draw from them.

You can totally tell a difference in your vital force when you have these nutrients regularly!! :)

29 Amy @ Teach, Write, Cook January 13, 2011

I am glad to see you use baby spinach most often, too. I have tried kale in my green monsters but can’t quite get past the taste and smell, so I stick to spinach most of the time!

30 Amanda @ Just Amanda J January 13, 2011

I remember trying one of these for the first time over a year ago. My roommate was totally grossed out, and I admit I was a little scared too, but the banana and almond milk really did make it sweet enough :) I need to get back to making these, thanks for the reminder!

31 Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 13, 2011

You’ve changed a lot of lives with these Angela!! I had a smoothie just this morning actually. A GM without the green – no spinach to be had sadly!

32 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 13, 2011

i have a green monster almost every day! i pack a good 3 cups of spinach into that thing ! my favorite is with pumpkin and sun warrior, i almost feel super human after i’m finished with it ;) when i make it for others they honestly can’t believe how food it is and want more!

33 Michele December 1, 2012

I am curious to know the exact recipe for your “fave” with pumpkin. I am a huge pumpkin fan and completely intrigued!

34 Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 13, 2011

i have a green monster almost every day! i pack a good 3 cups of spinach into that thing ! my favorite is with pumpkin and sun warrior, i almost feel super human after i’m finished with it ;) when i make it for others they honestly can’t believe how good it is and want more!

35 Allison @ Food For Healing January 13, 2011

its nice to see and hear about all your positive changes, and sharing them with you readers!

36 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 13, 2011

I had no idea that the Green Monster and I shared a BIRTHDAY!!! There’s no one I’d rather share it with more, ha! I love ’em– classic style!

37 Amanda January 13, 2011

Green Monsters have changed my life. Thank you Angela. My kiddos drink them every morning (Miracles DO happen lol) as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

38 Brittney January 13, 2011

Had one this morning with a splash of egg nog and nutmeg. YUM!

39 meg January 13, 2011

My “go-to” GM recipe is a banana, several (maybe four?) organic strawberries, a cup or so of orange juice, a little almond milk, and a big handful of spinach. I actually presented it (with samples!) for a “carte blanche” get-to-know-you presentation in one of my classes last semester, and everyone that tried it was surprised by how non-gross it was! :]

40 JenATX January 13, 2011

so pretty! mine never look as beautiful but I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover (or a drink by its hue) haha

41 Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 13, 2011

I LOVE GMs!! I too thought I would hate them, but they are SO good! Especially love adding a little chocolate powder…Chocolaty Green Monsters are the BOMB! :D

42 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! I was turned on to them after reading the book, “Green for Life,” and have been enjoying them regularly ever since! :D

My favorite recipe: 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, juice of 1/2 lemon, 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach, 1 green pear, cored, and a generous shake of cinnamon. So good!

I also love making Kristen’s “Cherry Chocolate Bomb” with a few handfuls of spinach– it’s the perfect sweet treat!

43 Haleigh January 13, 2011

I need to bring back Green Monsters into my life :) I just don’t know if I could choke down a liquid breakfast during the winter…we shall see!

44 Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 13, 2011

Love my green smoothie every morning. Once you go there, you never go back.

45 Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 13, 2011

I make a smoothie similar to this and similar to Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat Your Greens Fruit Smoothie. It has 5 oz. of spinach for a blender-full. The first time I tried it, I was scared. But, like you said, you can’t taste the spinach. Swiss chard, on the other hand, you can definitely taste! I started drinking a green smoothie every morning instead of my usual cup of coffee and I felt so much more energized. :-D

46 Erin @ The Grass Skirt January 13, 2011

Happy Green Monster-versary! :) I am a HUGE fan of GMs thanks to you. I even named my blog after my favorite one. It tastes like a pina colada. ;) I also like making pumpkin green monsters with canned pumpkin. They taste like pumpkin pie. I don’t have one everyday, but I’d say that I have 2-3/week on average. Love them!

47 Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit January 13, 2011

Just this morning I decided I was going to bring on the GREEN in a big way! What perfect timing for you to refresh us with your Green Monster recipe. I have all the ingredients! Can’t wait to try it tomorrow morning.

48 Candice @ChiaSeedMe January 13, 2011

I love hearing your story about the green monster every time I read it.

Last year I was in a similar place as you concerning my job (except probably not quite as bad) and I had an hour commute every morning starting at 6am. I had already been drinking green monsters several times a week for awhile, but when I started that job they became one of the highlights of my day, similar to you. My husband was sweet enough to get up at 5:45am every morning to make it for me (he became a green monster pro:) and every single morning I would drink it on the long commute to work – even in the winter! It was what got me through my day.

I’ve since left that job and I work from home now, but 9 times out of 10 you’ll still find me working away in the morning with a green monster in hand. Thank you for turning me on to something that has been such a great thing in my life!

My go-to recipe is: 1 cup almond milk, 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 scoop Amazing Grass or Vega powder, 1/2 a frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds and a handful of ice. Nothing beats it!

49 Katy @ A Healthy Shot January 13, 2011

Of course I am! I LOVE green monsters :) My favorite recipe is still the classic, although I also like to add some berries every now and then. Just finished my workout & I’m off to make one now!

50 Ashley January 13, 2011

I will never get sick of seeing that vibrant GREEN!! I will also never get sick of that classic green monster. :)

51 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 13, 2011

I put spinach in every smoothie I make – so good for you and it really doesn’t have a taste! My new fav is adding butternut squash or sweet potato – YUM!

The only downside is if you make one to drink in the car… and then have to leave it in the car for 8-10 hours… the car WILL smell a little “funky.” :)

Happy Green-iversary!

52 Lizzie January 13, 2011

This is a very timely post! I fell off the GM wagon several months ago, when my husband and I started getting up early for the gym 3 mornings a week – his gym is opposite his office, so he just goes straight to work. I come home afterwards, shower, breakfast, then out the door. So making GM’s kind of stopped being a priority. I was also making the same one all the time. But this reminder of the basic (classic!) recipe you can build on, has got me motivated to get back in the habit (plus my husband actually liked them and noticed a difference in how he felt at work!).

53 Sarah January 13, 2011

I really like the classic (I opt for flaxseed.)
It took me a long time to try Green Monsters; when I finally did, I was hooked! Now I’m just waiting for the warmer months to get back into them. (I don’t typically like to eat right after working out.)

54 Stephanie January 13, 2011

I’ve been experimenting with the green monster the past few weeks, as I tried my first one about 2 weeks ago!! I am having a hard time deciding when I want it. Most mornings, I make a strawberry and banana smoothie with yogurt and milk, so that leaves the afternoon/evening. If I make them right when I get home from work, I have dinner really late. It’s definitely something I want to work into my routine everyday, but when? Is having 2 bananas a day bad for you? I’m new to all this :)

55 Lynne January 13, 2011

I found your blog and I love it! I started reading your shred posts because I’m on day 4. Then I read all about you – very inspiring!!! I would love to try your green monster recipe!!!

56 megan @ blackberries for jam January 13, 2011

I refuse to give up my smoothies in the winter too! If I’m not having them after a workout, I have to wrap myself in a blanket and crank up the heat. I’m probably responsible for a spike in our consumption of electricity. But they are just too good!

57 Namaste Gurl January 13, 2011

Mmmm, I love me a nutritious green monster. That’s exactly how I make mine, I just always add sun warrior :)

58 Angela W January 13, 2011

Mmmmm I am loving the green monsters since I first found your blog about a month ago! My fav right now is frozen banana, frozen mango, spinach, almond milk, flax, and about a tablespoon of coconut milk cream. Tastes like vacation :) Although the clementine creamsicle smoothy has stolen my heart of late! I read on GMM that you cook the spinach first so you get more of the nutritional value… do you always cook it, or would you suggest switching it up for raw sometimes?

59 Becki January 13, 2011

Where oh where do you find a glass straw? Is that what you have? I so need one! I feel bad throwing out straws everyday!

60 Emily January 13, 2011

I’ve been rocking the green monsters for about a month now. My faves are the classic, peach vanilla (peaches I canned in the summer + vanilla protein powder) and chocolate raspberry (frozen berries + coco powder). I drink one almost every morning for breakfast. I’ve been having trouble getting up in these dark winter months and the GM is the perfect thing to grab last minute and enjoy in the car on the way to work. You are so right about boosting energy levels! I’ve been an avid coffee drinker for years, but I find the caffeine too much after a GM – makes me all jittery!

Thanks for spreading the GM love Angie!

xox
Em

61 Toby January 13, 2011

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now. I had to laugh when I read today’s post as just THIS morning I made my first green monster.

62 Roz January 13, 2011

I’ve been feeling the feelings you described before you gave notice on your job…..until I find something else I can’t give notice, but I CAN start to drink green monsters. Maybe that’ll give me some superhuman strength (and luck) to find a new opportunity!! Thanks for the inspiration that life does turn itself around, and for the “power” recipe.

63 lindsay January 13, 2011

you definitely got me hooked on these greens machines! I love the amazing grass shakes too. So nourishing. Well done Angela!

64 Lauren at KeepItSweet January 13, 2011

I don’t eat green mosters often during the winter, but when I drink them more often during the summer I always feel instantly “healthy”. I like to add chocolate amazing meal to mine with basically the same base you have!

65 Styles 'n Cream January 13, 2011

I am a huge fan of your blog from the moment I found it a couple of months ago and I have been dying to try the Green Monster , just wasn’t sure which recipe I should try first. Now this was perfect timing .. . plus I cannot belive you wrote this post on the same day I did a post about my desire to have the GM. Check out my post http://stylesncream.blogspot.com/2011/01/drink-green.html.

I am trying this smoothie tomorrow – I cannot wait – and I think my whole family would enjoy it (my husband and kids are vegan too).

Have a fabulous day!

xoxo,

Rali

66 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) January 13, 2011

I feel like your version of ‘green monsters’ have been around….forever! And it’s only been 2 years. I think webster’s dictionary should carve out a special place for your name right next to those 2 words…that is an Angela-ism :)

Green smoothies, shakes, drinks, whatever we call it…it’s all good to me! Right around the time you were coining the term Green Monster, I was making baby food in my Vita for Skylar..she was about 1 year old or so…and she and I both ate our Green Monsters that way :)

67 Anne January 13, 2011

I LOVE green monsters!

My favourite recipe usually turns out greenish with a tinge of blue/brown, depending, but here goes:

Ingredients:

1/2 cup almond milk, or water
1/2 cup frozen berries
2 handfuls organic spinach
1 slice lemon or lime, peel included
1 tbsp ground flax
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder
1 scoop Progressive Veggie Greens
1 scoop Progressive Phyto Berries (if available)
1-3 Ice cubes

Blend into a delicious GM!!

68 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 13, 2011

I love green monsters. I used to drink one every day in the summer, but now can’t even think about it because it’s so cold!!!

69 Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen January 13, 2011

Love green monsters and love the idea of the chocolate mint…

70 Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama January 13, 2011

That’s pretty much how I make my 2 year old’s green smoothies. I knew she loved pb+banana in her smoothies so one day I added some greens and sure enough she loved it. Sometimes I add berries too but then it turns a gross army green color. :-)

71 Leanne (For Health's Sake) January 13, 2011

I’ve stopped drinking these since it got cold in Alberta but this post has made me want to start again. I know that I don’t get enough veggies in my diet, & these tasted so good. I’ll be picking up the ingredients this weekend :)

72 Lily's Health Pad January 13, 2011

Just so you know…Green Monsters changed breakfast for me! And a lot of people I know! I tell everyone about them and I’ve convinced almost everyone in my family to give them a try.

73 Sarah (Sarah Learns) January 13, 2011

yum! i tried my FIRST green monster this week & did a post about it! i love putting toppings on them too. my favorite topping is melted coconut butter that makes a hard shell on top. it’s perfect for eating with a spoon. :)

74 Allison January 13, 2011

I love Green Monsters! I am so grateful to have stumbled upon this blog last year because I pretty much had a Green Monster every hot summer morning. So amazing.

I recently started a new blog, and I’ve definitely mentioned the Green Monster on it: http://kind-vegan.tumblr.com/

Peace!

75 CathyK January 13, 2011

CONGRATULATIONS on coming up to the 2nd anniversary of leaving your stressful and unhappy job, angela! that is a milestone to celebrate!
i was a teacher for three years, and left the profession because it just was not me. i remember well the free heart i felt as i walked away on the last day!
so happy for you that you can now pursue your passions. let’s raise a green monster in a toast! :)

76 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 13, 2011

I love my green monsters, and I am happy to say YOU inspired me to try putting spinach in my smoothies! Now I hardly ever go without it, and I always feel so energized and strong after drinking one. Thanks for starting a healthy revolution… oh, and that recipe looks amazing. :D
xo

77 Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) January 13, 2011

xo

78 Morgan @ Life After Bagels January 13, 2011

Does anyone else love the fact that Angela said “frisky” in relation to adding ingredients to her green monster . . . BAHAHAHA – sorry for the ribbing Angela – that’s the sign of a true health enthusiast ;)

79 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

haha nerd alert (me)

80 Jaime January 13, 2011

Thanks for this recipe :) I’m going to attempt to make my very first Green Monster tomorrow morning! Can’t wait.

81 Picky Nicky January 13, 2011

I love green monsters :) I wish I could drink them during class, but my water bottle is see-through LOL And I find that I can’t taste kale when I put it in! I guess it depends on how much you use

82 Meredith January 13, 2011

Ooo I shoulda gone for the classic this morning. I’ve been drinking Green Monsters for about a year now (thanks to you lovely) but I still occasionally stumble upon some really unpalatable combinations. Don’t try cabbage, people. On the bright side, veggies NEVER go bad at my house anymore!

83 Erin January 13, 2011

Here are my faves:

Post-workout recovery GM

1 scoop Vega Sport Performance Protein (vanilla)
1 tsp MacaSure powder
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, sliced
1 pear, quartered and seeded
1 sm zucchini, chopped
1/2 stalk celery, sliced
3 large kale leaves, destemmed
2 c. filtered ice water

Blended Salad GM (savoury, like raw soup)

1 sm zucchini or cucumber, chopped
2 ripe field tomatoes, quartered
1 sm red, yellow or orange bell pepper
1/2 ripe avocado
1/2 stalk celery, sliced
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 clove garlic, deveined
1/2 Tbsp fresh ginger, sliced
Large handful fresh parsley and/or cilantro
2-3 leaves Romaine lettuce and/or kale (destemmed)
1 tsp white miso
1-2 tsp Bragg liquid aminos
Small squeeze fresh lime juice
Hot sauce or pepper to taste
Additional fresh or dried herbs to taste
1 1/2 cups warm filtered water

84 Lindsey Graham January 13, 2011

I love this post. I am so inspired to start my own green monster journey in 2011. I will definitely be coming back for recipes : )

85 Trish @I_am_Succeeding January 13, 2011

I have to say I have not yet come up with a combo I can really like, I do keep trying though.

86 Diana @ VEGeneration January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! I actually enjoy putting kale into them and don’t taste much of the bitterness. I like to add cinnamon to mine.

One thing I like to do with green monsters is chill them in the freezer for an hour or two. This usually hardens the surface and thickens the liquid underneath, making it fun to dig in with a spoon!

87 Nikki January 13, 2011

I have literally put off trying a green monster for about 6 months now — I buy the ingredients EVERY WEEK but I chicken out! This post has pushed me over the edge — I will have a green monster today. :) I’ll let you know how it goes!

88 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

goodluck!

89 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 13, 2011

i love my GMs…i like it with a little cocoa powder and either cherries, strawberries, or peanut butter. just right to kick off the morning!

90 SueAnn January 13, 2011

I made my first green monster this morning, and used coconut milk. It was delicious! Tastes like a pina colada!

91 Michelle January 13, 2011

Hey Angela,
I’m a fairly new reader – I came across your blog before Christmas. Now that we are in the new year I (like everyone else on the bandwagon) am determined to eat healthier. I was very inspired by your story. I especially love the fact that you don’t diet or deprive yourself, but instead eat good quality food and exercise regularly. I think I’ve had some very bad thinking in the past about how to achieve the ideal weight. So thanks for your example. Ive been making the Green Monsters for myself and my family for about two weeks now. The only thing I do different is that I add blueberries – partly to avoid the green colour and partly because they are also a superfood. Its a delicious mid morning or mid afternoon treat and it also keeps my sweet tooth in check.
Happy New Year and good luck in your endeavors.
Michelle

92 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

mmm yes blueberries are delicious in GM’s! Glad you enjoy the blog, thanks for your comments :)

93 Therese January 13, 2011

I saw that article on the “vegetable glow” yesterday and thought of you. Awesome!

94 Maddie (Healthy Maddie) January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! My go to mix is 1 cup spinach, 1/2 a banana, 1/2 cup dark chocolate almond milk, 1 cup ice and 1 scoop vanilla protein powder. It’s delicious and no you can’t taste the spinach at all!

95 MaryBe@AccidentallyVegan January 13, 2011

I am a green monster ‘purist’. Just frzn banana, almond milk (or OJ) and spinach. I love them

96 Sonia January 13, 2011

I love how you say 1 frozen banana, preferably peeled. lol! Not going to let your hubby live it down, are you? ;) j/k.

I drink GMs about 6 days out of the week. I make them each morning before work and take them out the door with me. I generally put in flax and chia seeds with one stalk of celery, a leaf of kale, handful of spinach, banana, water and a splash of juice. and blend! When I like to mix things up I switch back to almond milk and maybe add berries or other fruits and powders. I like the Goji and Acai from AG as well as the chocolate powder.

My hubby still makes faces when I drink it, especially when I try to kiss him with green smeared lips. hahaha.

haven’t had the classic in a while. I’ll do that tomorrow morning. Thanks for the GM’s Angela, it has really gotten me focused on a healthy lifestyle.

97 Amy January 13, 2011

Hi Angela! I’ve been lurking your blog for a few months now, but this post made me speak up. I’ve have green monsters every morning for quite a few months now, they are delicious and I feel so much better!! Typically I make a classic with blueberries, but if I know it’s going to be a crazy day I throw in protein powder, almond butter and oatmeal too! It’s a great super breakfast for me.

98 Julia (The Veggie Side) January 13, 2011

LOVE green smoothies!!! I’ll have to try yours!

99 Lana January 13, 2011

I love, love, love green monsters. I’ve been making them for about a year now and can’t imagine life without them. They are great for breakfast if you add dried oats (for staying power) or great as a post-run recovery meal. I’ve been adding hemp protein powder to mine after workouts and it works miracles!

Green Monster = Genius!!!

Thanks Angela!!

100 Julia January 13, 2011

Really grateful to you for this drink alone! I’ve gotten more compliments on my nice skin and bright eyes since making these. Thanks again!! Viva Green Monsters :) ‘

101 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 13, 2011

I only recently started reading you, so I didn’t know about your Green Monster journey.

I relate.. I was working a hellish job as a chef in a wine bar.. over 60 hours a week. It was brutal and my kitchen was divided half on one floor and half in the basement. It was phsycially and emotionally exhausting and I think they only way I managed to do it was the 2 quarts of green smoothies I drank all day long to keep me going.

102 Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day January 13, 2011

103 Jenna @ Eating Green, Staying Lean January 13, 2011

I LOVE LOVE Loovvveeee Green Smoothies! And, happy to say, your blog introduced me to them last year! :)

104 Nicole January 13, 2011

Mmm I can’t wait to try it with the chia seeds I just bought. I’m a little timid to use the chia outside of the GM though. Can you suggest some recipes for a first-time chia user?

105 Jaclyn T January 14, 2011

They are yummy in muffins (cooked with the batter, or sprinkled on top), homemade granola bars, cookies, overnight oats, traditional oatmeat.

106 Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather January 13, 2011

I agree after a workout is such a great time in the cooler months! Looks delicious girl :)

107 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous January 13, 2011

You know I haven’t had a Green Monster in MONTHS. I better get to changing that! I think they are deeelicious and a great way to get in some leafy green that I otherwise can’t stand eating.

108 Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life January 13, 2011

I put in 2 weeks at my job…. better start drinking my GM’s again!!!!

109 Finley January 13, 2011

Hi Angela! I have always been interested in mean, clean, green recipes :), but I just started making (and devouring) the green monsters last week, thanks to my friend who is also named Angela, who introduced me to your site. I love them! ANd guess what? I got my glow. The compliment came from my husband, who said “you look beautiful! It’s like, you’re glowing!” Wow. I thought. I know someone who would be REALLY happy to hear this! Also, tried the tomato casserole with the ezekiel croutons last night! LOVE. Have also made your Spaghetti with “Neat” sauce, and the pumpkin curry quinoa! SO far, everything has been a tremendous hit! My seven year old twin boys even love the green monster! Huzzah! Thanks for the recipes! I adore your site and the photographs are wonderful too–as someone who loves to appreciate the beauty of beautiful food, i REALLY love looking at them!

–finley (birmingham, AL)

110 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

Thank you! :)

111 Amber K January 13, 2011

I drink one every single day! I thought it was the most disgusting looking thing ever, but it’s delicous! My go-to is 1/2 cup strawberries, 1/2 med. banana, 2 cups spinach, a scoop of vegan vanilla protein powder, 1.5 ounces of avocado and 1/2 cup water. Sooo good!

112 Diana @ frontyardfoodie January 13, 2011

Mmmmmm green green green green I love. I love green monsters.

113 Lauren January 13, 2011

May be a stupid question, but does almond milk taste like almonds? Although I enjoy almonds as a nut, I don’t like almond flavored things. Weird, right?

If so, any good substitutions?

Thanks!

114 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

ummm sort of…it’s hard to describe I guess, but it is quite creamy and delicious. The almond flavour isnt too strong, but then again I may be immune to it now..

115 Gabby January 13, 2011

I’m embarrassed to say this but…I’ve never tried one!!
I have been following your blog for over a year now and it’s STILL on my list of things to do (also ironic because that’s what my own blog post was about today!)
But I’m glad to see the recipe of a good “first one to try”. I’m on it!

116 carlee January 14, 2011

go make it tommorow girl! They are too good! and add some coconut extract to it! Oh yummmm!!!!

117 Meesh January 13, 2011

I love the classic GM! I really haven’t tried anything else, though sometimes I add cinnamon. I read someone added nutritional yeast, which I am thinking of trying!

118 Moni'sMeals January 13, 2011

thanks for posting this again! I make mine very similiar but I want to try the “ANGELA Original.”

119 Mandy January 13, 2011

I love green monsters and have them several times a week. I do things slightly differently though by not having frozen banana, instead here in Germany you can buy bags of spinach frozen into blocks – so my spinach is frozen, my banana not. I always add some flaxseed and chia, a spoonful of maca powder and rice protein powder or hemp protein powder because my green monster is usually pre-workout. I’m with Daniel and like to eat my with a spoon and also like to live dangerously by sprinkling a few cacao nibs on top – yum, nom nom nom.

120 AGS January 13, 2011

For quite some time (nearly a year?), I had some kind of GM every morning, usually after my workout. I kept is simple: some kind of milk+banana+spinach+1/2 scoop some kind of protein powder. My decrease in exercise directly correlates to my decrease in drinking GMs, sadly enough. That, and the fact I’m pretty much never anywhere but the office these days (sans blender).

I miss them — but more, I miss what they represented: part of a strong and fit start to the day. I have been fitting dark/raw greens back into my daily diet since the beginning of January, and have had at least one GM. . . I just realized that I happen to have all the “classic GM” ingredients on hand. And plan to make it this Sat. AM!

121 Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 13, 2011

Yum, I’m totally craving one now! I’m pretty “classic”: spinach, banana, & almond milk. Sometimes I throw in some frozen berries to tart-en it up…which turns it a really murky olive green (but it’s delicious.)

I am dying to make one for my nephews and have them do a blind taste test. I’m convinced they will have no idea that it’s green!

122 bitt of raw January 13, 2011

you’re a real raw foodie now sipping it out of a jar! thats the way i like mine too.
you get used to the kale taste. i also use chard.

123 Christine (The Raw Project) January 13, 2011

Green monsters are a huge part of my diet, I have at least one daily. One of these days I’ll pick up some glass straws for mine. :-) Great post.

124 Lindsay January 13, 2011

We are huge fans of green smooties! Our go-to recipe is:
1 orange
1 banana
frozen fruit (pineapples, mangoes, peaches and strawberries)
A couple big handfuls of greens (spinach, kale, romaine, chard)
Water to make it slurp-able.

Sooo good! We make one every morning, it’s a great way to start out day!

125 isabella January 13, 2011

Argh! I checked your blog this morning to see if you had any posts about Green Monsters. I couldn’t find any but I knew that I wanted to try making one. I did. It was disgusting becuse I didnt put it in the correct order. So I have a question… Does have a generic blender differ the smoothness because that is what I used!?

126 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

Different brands of blenders will def. change the results of the consistency. I have had some bad blenders in my day that could not even properly blend spinach!
Apparently the Oster brand- the $40 machine was rated #2 in a recent Consumer Report survey on blenders (Vita Mix being #1)

127 isabella January 14, 2011

Thank You!

128 Julie January 14, 2011

I have a Oster brand bledner and it blends up all GM’s great! I eventually want to get a Vita Mix (when budget allows), but for the time being it is a great blender and not too pricey.

129 Audrey January 13, 2011

I love this post. Reading about others who eat their veggies inspires me to do it myself.

130 Snehal January 13, 2011

Wow! That’s such an easy recipe.
I have never tried to make a smoothie at home, because I always thought that would mean buying a lot of ingredients (smoothie powders and such) . I already have all the things your recipe calls for. Very excited to try it, a little nervous though, never tried raw spinach in a juice form :D I’ll let you know how it goes.

131 RachelSD January 13, 2011

Angela, you absolutely got me over the hump of eating spinach. I have made smoothies for years, but only recently came across your blog and started adding spinach to my concoctions. There is something so self-satisfying about knowing that a breakfast that tastes so delicious is really nutritious, too! Thanks for the encouragement!

132 Brandy January 13, 2011

I love that of all the ingredients in your classic Green Monster, the only one I don’t have is ICE lol! What an idiot. Just popped some in the freezer so I shall try my first Green Monster in a few hours :-D

133 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

haha love this comment

134 Monique January 13, 2011

Today was definitely a smoothie day in Arizona! :)

135 Cara Craves... January 13, 2011

Best invention ever!
You deserve an award for this one!

136 Justeen @ Blissful Baking January 13, 2011

I recently tried your green monster for the first time and it was awesome! Love that it is both delicious AND packed with nutrients!

137 Heather January 13, 2011

I haven’t read the comments yet, so I will apologize if someone already asked this…can you make a green monster the night before? I get up at 4am to workout, but I’m afraid running the blender at that time of the morning might not be so kind to the sleeping boyfriend and cats :)

138 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

I used to make them the night before…they are not as good as fresh….BUT in a pinch, it works, Just give it a good stir in the morning. Also be sure to put in a sealed container in the fridge.

139 Heather January 13, 2011

Thank you! I have all the ingredients, so I am going to make my first Green Monster tonight. Thanks also for all your great recipes and for sharing them (and yourself) with all of us!

140 Jaclyn T January 14, 2011

I often make a batch to have the next morning…fresh is best, but it’s still good.

141 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 13, 2011

I drink Green Monsters all the time, and my recipe is basically the same except I use half a frozen banana, no ice, and 1 scoop of Amazing Grass.

142 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 13, 2011

Oh man, I love my greens, but I seriously don’t think I could handle drinking your first concoction! :P My go-to recipe is basically the same as yours. I haven’t experimented much with other ingredients/flavours though because the original is so tasty the way it is!

143 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter January 13, 2011

I have always wondered the back story on those Green Monsters. Now I understand.

The article about the healthy skin is SO interesting too. I always get commented on how beautiful my skin is. I knew I was blessed with dry, pimple-free skin, and I take fairly good care of it, but I didn’t know that my healthy diet could also contribute to the sexual appeal. Hahaha.

144 Faith @ lovelyascharged January 13, 2011

Green monsters are a definite staple here at my house. I use the same go-to recipe, but lately I’ve been mixing up the fruit – peaches are a definite favorite!

145 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2011

mmm peaches are a great idea!

146 stacey-healthylife January 13, 2011

I gotta get back to my green monsters. It’s just not as appealing in the winter, but so good for you.

147 Rachel January 13, 2011

I love the classic almond milk-spinach-banana-flax meal recipe but sometimes I do half almond milk have apple juice. Its a little tangy and very delicious. I haven’t experimented with anything else yet because I love the original so much!!

148 Kerry January 13, 2011

I was so excited to try a green monster the other day for the first time. It was delicious, but it left me wondering… Does drinking a green monster have the same benefits as drinking the same smoothie with the greens on the side?

149 Kerry January 13, 2011

150 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 14, 2011

Some say that when the ingredients are blended, they are absorbed better into the body. I’m not sure if this is the case or not.

151 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 13, 2011

I am going to try this! I love making smoothies, but I’ve never added greens. My go-to smoothie is 1 cup of almond milk, 1 ripe banana, and 2 or 3 frozen strawberries. Yum!

152 Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner January 13, 2011

153 LaurenTheMightyPeanut January 13, 2011

Ohh..I bombed my first GM about a week ago. I’m considering a Friday morning challenge…GM Try Two!

154 Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) January 13, 2011

Nothing better to start your morning than a Green Monster! They Rock :)

155 Hannah January 13, 2011

Thank you! I bought a Vita-Mix with Christmas money this year, and have been experimenting (to greater and lesser effect…) with green smoothies. It’s always wonderful to have a “classic” recipe to try!

156 Alex @ Healing Beauty January 13, 2011

Ooh you got me. I think I might have to cave and try one! I was always a little apprehensive about spinach going into a smoothie like drink, but what have I got to lose?

157 Kat January 13, 2011

I’ve blended spinach ino my smoothies before but I guess I’ve never tried the Classic Green Monster. Now that I know this recipe I for sure will!

158 Ashley@quasichick January 13, 2011

Your green monsters have changed my life! I love that I can get a serving of green veggies in anytime I want! Thanks OSG

159 Leanne @healthfulpursuit January 13, 2011

I am drinking my very first Green Monster right NOW! Holy cow is it fantastic! I used 1/2 a banana instead of the whole one and removed the ice. It’s too darn freezing in Calgary to even contemplate drinking anything cold.

These are GREAT!

160 Michelle January 13, 2011

I LOVE green monsters! I’m so happy they were created :)

Over the summer I had my favorite one that I haven’t recreated yet… it had strawberries, flax seed, and chocolate protein powder in it. I forgot the banana and I didn’t even miss it!

161 Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast January 13, 2011

My most recent smoothie creation was apple, pear, cranberries, collard greens and fresh ginger poured into a nice tall pilsner glass. It was delicious!

162 Beatrix January 13, 2011

I drink a green monster every weekday morning on my way to work..but i add 1/2 avocado for my base since I’m allergic to banana’s and add juice instead of milk. Spinach is my greens of choice.

163 kaila @ healthy helper blog! January 13, 2011

well congrats on the upcoming 2 year anniversary! i love your green monsters and started drinking them about a year ago because of your blog. now i cant even imagine not having greens in my smoothie! i just love them! i have one almost every morning paired with a bowl of oats!

164 Charlie January 14, 2011

My go-to green monster is almond milk, spinach, banana, chia seeds, and frozen berries. Yummy :).
I love your straw! Where did you find it?

165 carlee January 14, 2011

I want a green monster right now!
I love green monsters- my typical ( which I have not had time to play around with yet ) is simply 1 cup almond milk, banana, and 2 handfuls of spinach. I am excited to put some PB in it! and maybe some carob??? ;)

166 Ashley January 14, 2011

I just found this blog through stumble upon and I have to say I cannot wait to try the Green Monster! I’ve been down for quite awhile now about my weight and want to change– better self-esteem, better ways of looking at food as a friend and not an enemy. Thank you so much for sharing your story– I watched the video “Goodbye to Obsession” and I thank for you making it. I needed to watch it– and so do so many others.
Keep up the great work! This blog has definitely become one of my faves:)

167 maria @ Chasing the Now January 14, 2011

I’ve tried GM a variety of ways now (protein powders, different fruits, etc.) but the classic is still my favorite too. Even my veggie-hatin’ husband loves it.

168 Zestful Lou January 14, 2011

Oh Vita Mix. How I yearn for you. Someday you will be mine.
The classics are always the best. I need to get back into the green groove!

169 Rachel January 14, 2011

I never thought GMs looked gross per se, but now I can honestly say that I love them so much. I even got my family to drink them. I don’t feel like my day has really started until I’ve had one. This is pretty crazy considering I used to start my day with 2 cups of coffee. Thanks Ang!

170 jenny eats nutella from a spoon January 14, 2011

hehe, love this. i want to go back to my daily green smoothie again like last year!!

171 Beach Bum Beauty January 14, 2011

There are some really good Green Monster recipes on here, thanks guys – I want to try them all!!

172 jassy January 14, 2011

GM has come a long way :)

173 Jessie January 14, 2011

I love Green Monsters and so do my kids (ages 6 & 2). We have them for an afternoon snack all the time in the summer. I love adding a spoonful of cocoa powder to it. We have some Chocolate Mint that I can’t kill, so we are going adding that this summer. Thanks for the idea and the great recipe!

174 Aleesha January 14, 2011

I’m so glad you wrote this post – I’ve been meaning to try GMs but I’ve put it off because my blender is not so great… I’m going to try it now anyway! Who knows, maybe it will come out fine. Got my spinach ready to go! Or glow? ;-)

175 Lisa January 14, 2011

Ok ok that’s it I’m gonna make my own. We always get the store bought ones, odwalla or another brand. Been reading your blog for a couple of years & it’s high time I finally make one!

176 Groder January 14, 2011

Perfect timing! I’ve been wanted to try your GM for some time, but couldn’t get past the banana (sadly, it’s my very least favorite food). This morning I finally made my first one with mango for the fruit and hemp seeds for the nut butter, and it was delightful! I added some lemon and lime juice to make it a little brighter, and tossed some sunflower seeds on top since I was eating it with a spoon. Now I get what everyone’s been raving about…

177 Leia January 14, 2011

I’ve always been scared of spinach but I think I’m going to take the plunge and try this!

178 Keely (Sky Blue) January 14, 2011

I’ve never made a green monster but I’ve been hearing about them for awhile now! Not gonna lie…they kind of intimidate me. I love veggies…but spinach in a smoothie? Not sure I’m tough enough for that! Haha but I’m gonna give this a shot anyway. It looks yummy…in a weird thiscouldbeawesome kind of way.

New reader by the way! I love your site. Thanks for all the great recipes and encouragement.

179 Tiffany @ Conor & Bella January 14, 2011

I just made my first Green Monster following this recipe, and it was amazing! I will definitely be consuming these regularly. :)

180 Jaclyn T January 14, 2011

I used iced decaf green tea in mine (homemade) in place of milk, and LOVE it.

181 Sarah January 14, 2011

I absolutely Love green monsters! I have them ALL the time! i have recently been on a kick and have to drink them with some hot tea to stay warm! Adding Frozen cherries is my favorite addition by far with some chocolate protein powder! But classic and simple GM’s make me feel so clean and healthy! <3

182 Namaste Gurl January 14, 2011

Random question, where do you get your glass straws– glass dharma? What size and diameter are they? I think I’m going to order me some, as I HATE using those plastic straws!

183 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

Yes they are Glass Dharma :) I think it is the largest straw they have :)

184 andrea January 15, 2011

i just had my first green monster today and i loved it! i have to admit i was skeptical, but i took my first sip and i am hooked. i emailed my sister the virgin monster recipe and i’m hoping she will like it just as much! i had one for breakfast and not only did it give me great energy to start my day with, it was really satisfying. starting the day off with something so healthy sets you up to make healthy choices the rest of the day. thanks so much for sharing and inspiring!

185 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 15, 2011

So glad to hear this!

186 Heidi January 15, 2011

Hi Angela, have you ever tried using frozen spinach (those blocks you find in the freezer section) in a Green Monster, and if so, does it work as well? I tend to buy fresh greens less frequently in the winter and the idea of having a stock of frozen bananas & spinach on hand is appealing.

187 TE Willans January 15, 2011

Second day of monsters. Yum. I am using coconut milk and adding a few raw almonds which does make for a slightly crunchy rather than a smoothie!!! Oh and as I dont have a blender and am using my food processor I find adding the liquid last means less all over the bench top!!

188 Jeannette January 17, 2011

I did it, I tried one! I did the classic version (though minus the chia seeds) and it is fabulous! You can’t taste the spinach at all. Much, much yummier than the spirulina in OJ I used to force down.

189 Kelsey January 17, 2011

I made this today, minus the flax, and it was delicious!

190 Melanie Robinson January 17, 2011

Angela! I am hooked! I have vowed to myself to do my own little ’30 Day GM Challenge’….
Have you ever used bunches of spinach (adult spinach vs. baby spinach that is bagged)?

191 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 17, 2011

that is great!

yes I have used bunched…I find the flavour is a bit stronger so I tend to use a bit less

192 Melanie Robinson January 19, 2011

I am not going to lie, I think I am a green monster addict. Two days in a row I have indulged in TWO! Loving the Chia Seeds, by the way!

193 Mandy January 19, 2011

I made the Classic this morning for breakfast, and I loved it! I’ve been attempting green smoothies of my own but have never been quite able to get the mix right. This was wonderful. Thanks for sharing the recipe with those of us who are new to the blog!

194 Sara January 19, 2011

Hey Angela!
Some questions for you, please?:
Which Vitamix model did you get?
Do you know where it’s sold in Canada? (i looked online but i couldn’t find anyplaces besides Ontario.)
What food processor do you use? or do you just use the Vitamix?
If you can help, it’s much appreciated, I’m looking for a good blender and food processor and I trust and value your opinion.

195 Michelle January 22, 2011

I have a question! Can I make a big batch of a green monster and keep it in my fridge? Will it stay good thru out the week?

196 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2011

You can make it the night beforehand, but it doesnt keep longer than about 1 day. Hope this helps!

197 Sherry January 25, 2011

Hey there, I tried my first Green Monster this morning. I had Kale in the fridge so I used that. My twin 3 yr olds helped me make it and instantly made themselves green mustaches and were asking for more. I am going to have to make double batches of this so that I can have some and they can too. What a great way to get myself back on track to a healthy ME.

198 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 25, 2011

Im happy to hear this! :)

199 Gemma January 25, 2011

drinking my first! love it! :)

200 Frisbee January 29, 2011

I was wasting away on twitter trying to find something to cure my boredom – and ZANG – someone I follow tweeted this post. Now, I am not quite as bored. Thanks for posting nice material. – Frisbee

201 shirley January 30, 2011

Do you know what the nutritional information is for this shake? Looks delicious–can’t wait to try!

202 Danielle February 2, 2011

I *finally* made my first green monster last week and OMG, it was delicious! I’m sad that I waited this long, but now I can’t stop making them. Thank you so much for all of the delicious vegan recipes – you’re one of my main sources for vegan ideas!

203 Courtney February 12, 2011

I make similar green monsters. Thank you for the inspiration to eat healthier foods and becoming a healthier person. I check your site everyday to see whats new. Although I have much more work to do to improve my diet, this always gives me great inspiration to try and stay on track. Your amazing!

204 quinn April 19, 2012

Can’t go wrong with such tasty ingredients! I am a die-hard smoothie girl thanks to the vitamix, but for some reason no matter how tasty green smoothies might be, I have to force myself to choke them down because I am repulsed by the colour. I never end up finishing one. You inspire me to keep trying though! Maybe all I need is an opaque cup with a lid.

205 Angela (Oh She Glows) April 20, 2012

haha Ive heard from readers who have to drink it from an opaque cup! worth a shot :)

206 Kristin April 27, 2012

I love this smoothie so much! I have been having it for the past few months since I saw it, I swear I am becoming addicted, haha :)

207 Darlene May 2, 2012

I’ve tried my Green Monster Smoothie using spinach, peanut butter, mango, skim milk and banana. It is GREAT! My family loves them. Now I’m going to try adding flax or wheat germ to it.

208 Tricia May 4, 2012

I make this in the morning I just didnt know they were called green monsters!!! lol I have recently gone on a vegan diet. And I have to tell you, I feel great. I have never had this much energy. I have been on it for 18 days, and I havent had one headache (usually get at least 3-4 a week) or a hot flash (menopause) since I started plus my fibromyalgia feels better. I have also started an exercise program of walking (at least 1-2 miles) per day, 3 sets of sit ups and push ups per day and weight lifting 2x a week. Words can not express how good I feel. I have done alot of research on vegan diets and recipes and I havent fixed anything that I havent liked. I even made my own “cheese”, it even shredded. :-)

209 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 4, 2012

Hey Tricia, that is awesome to hear! Congrats on all your wonderful changes.

210 ErinC May 26, 2012

Just made this for late breakfast with one handful curly kale and one handful spinach, almond milk, almond butter, flax & banana- it was DELICIOUS. Couldn’t taste the kale at all, almost tasted like a decadent dessert without meaning to.

211 Molly Philbin May 28, 2012

So good! I couldn’t even taste the spinach. I didn’t have any seeds or powders, but I did put in a tsp of coconut oil, which was great.

212 Rena May 30, 2012

This was my first time ever trying the Green Monster and while my husband thinks I’m crazy I think it is insanely delicious :))

213 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 30, 2012

Glad to hear that Rena!

214 Char June 8, 2012

I finally tried this today and it was delicious! Thank you so much for inspiring me to keep active, healthy, and plant-based :)

215 Laura June 16, 2012

Do you recommend waiting a certain amount of time after adding the chia seeds, to allow the shake to thicken?

216 Linsey Huffman June 28, 2012

I am thrilled to see you using a glass straw!!!!

217 Jenn June 29, 2012

Where did you find the glass straw? Random but I hate to waste and use the plastic ones. btw- just tried this smoothie and I LOVE IT!

218 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 29, 2012

Hey Jenn,

Its’ from a company called Glass D’harma. They have a website here: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/29/tropical-raspberry-lime-zinger/ I like the really thick straw for smoothies.

219 Sara July 7, 2012

I just made my first Green Monster and, while it was delicious, I couldn’t get mine to be smooth like in the pictures. I used kale and no mattered how long I had it in my blender it came out with specks of kale instead of the green smooth color I see. Its more like a yellow green speckled monster haha. Am I using the wrong blender? How can I get it to be non-speckly and smooth? Help! Thank you :-)

220 Sejad July 12, 2012

Hello, I had a question for you or anyone on here who makes Green monsters, do you need Vitamix or can I use let’s say a Ninja blender? Also I was thinking for getting a Vitamix and would like to know which brand is the best for the buck, I live in Ontario so I do not know where to shop for one.

221 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2012

Ive heard from other readers who love their Ninja, so I cant see why it wouldnt work! Worth a shot. I bought my vitamix from their website, but I hear that Costco does vitamix tours for a lower price. worth checking out.

222 Elle bakes July 13, 2012

Wow, I never thought to try spinach in a shake, mmm it was delicious! I made my own recipe based off your one and shared it on my blog that I just created today, I’ve referenced your recipe, the link is here if your interested, would love for you to check it out :) http://ellebakes.wordpress.com/2012/07/13/green-smoothie-4/
I love your blog and can’t wait to try more recipes from it!!

223 Lisa August 4, 2012

Here’s another to add to your list of GM’s:
1 C. Milk of you choice, I use almond unsweetened
2 handfuls spinach
1/2 C. Strawberries
1/4 C. Blackberries (I use frozen, due to non availability)
Scoop protein powder
1/2 lemon, juiced
Flaxseed (how ever much you like)

224 Laura E August 8, 2012

Angela,

I have been visiting your site for a few weeks now and finally got around to making my first Classic Green Monster! So delicious!!

I also wanted to bring up that I use a Ninja and it blended up just as nice as in your picture.

Thank you so much for this site hun.

Take Care,

Laura

225 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 8, 2012

Glad to hear that Laura! I’ve heard great things about the Ninja :)

226 Jen August 28, 2012

Hi!!

I am new to the Vegan world. It is something I have been thinking about for awhile and finially jumped in with both feet….and my husband too. Your story and blog have given me motivation to really want to do this. I have a new appreciation for food and am sooooo excited about our new lifestyle.

I have been eyeing up your green monster recipe for a year and finially gave it a try this week. What have I been waiting for you ask? Good question and I am kicking myself in the booty for not trying it sooner. It is the the most deliousious smoothie I have ever had….hands down! I find myself thinking about them throughout the day and am excited to get up in the morning to make one.

Thank you so much for your wonderfully amazing recipes!

~Jen

227 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 28, 2012

Hey Jen, Im so happy you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing.

228 marg james August 29, 2012

why not just eat the food whole?

229 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

You certainly can eat it whole. What I’ve found for me is that I consume a lot more veggies if I blend them. Its so fast to prepare and drink down, I can easily cram 4 servings of veggies into one blended juice or smoothie without even blinking an eye. Do whatever works for you though!

230 Mike September 1, 2012

I’m glad you found something that works for you. I tell my friends all the time take care of yourself and your problems will resolve themselves. They don’t seem to understand this. If your health everything else will work out. That is what I believe.

231 Stephanie September 4, 2012

I use to make a lot of green smooties until it started to give me really bad soar troat and cough. I would stop for a few days, the soar troat and cough would eventually go away. As soon as I made another of those drinks it came back. So much for trying to be healthy!!
After some researched I found out that kale is better eaten cooked than raw!

232 Stephanie October 13, 2012

Actually found out it was not the Kale but raw cashew that were responsible for the soar troat and cough. Never eating those raw again. Just putting it out there in case anyone ever gets the same problem. As it turns out cashew nuts would be in the same family as poison ivy. I am happy I can get back to my green monsters now!!

233 Jes September 7, 2012

i tried the green monster today for a recovery drink after spin and lifting! LOVED IT! new favorite post workout drink!!

234 Northwoods Mama September 13, 2012

So I think I owe you an apology…I totally did not believe you that this would taste good! I’ve tried a few of your other recipes over the past 6 months or so and really enjoyed them (especially Detox Salad and Vegan Shepard’s pie!) but I just couldn’t wrap my head around drinking something that green! I thought it was one of those things that “doesn’t taste too bad considering how healthy it is” Well, I got a new Magic Bullet for my birthday so I decided to try it. I thought “If it’s gross I can always dump it out!” Wow! I am so glad I did! I love it!
Thank you!

235 Jacks September 19, 2012

These are great! I wanted everyone to know I made a batch and it was way too much and I was going out of town. Didn’t want to waste it, so I put it in the freezer and drank it when I got back and it was still the same creamy green as when it went it.

So, the moral of this story is you can make them in huge batches and freeze them. Try freezing them in the little yogurt cups for a nice bit of green monster ice cream. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes and they are perfect.

236 Jessica October 6, 2012

First of all I love your blog, it has really inspired me and helped me out.
This may be a silly question but…..
With this great Green Monster recipe can I make a batch the night before so it will be ready in the morning for on the go? should I freeze it? will it still taste fine the next morning?

237 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 7, 2012

Hey Jessica, Yes you can make it the night before. Just be sure to put it in a sealed container in the fridge and stir it well before consuming in the AM. ENjoy!

238 Liz O October 16, 2012

You finally convinced me to try a green monster! After feeling sluggish and bloated after a weekend full of beer, pizza, and tempura fried sushi with spicy mayo I needed to help my body recover. After reading your post and all of the comments I decided to give it a whirl (har har). I was more than a little apprehensive when my finished product looked like Nickelodeon slime, but it tastes wonderful! I kept it simple: spinach, light soy milk, chia seeds and a frozen banana. Delicious! And I was even able to skip my morning cup(s) of coffee. I can see a new routine starting. Thank you so much!

239 Natalie October 20, 2012

this was my first try making a green smoothie and it turned out PERFECT! (I’m sipping it right now) I used my homemade hazelnut milk and it gave it a creamy nutty flavor.

My husband looked at me like I was crazy trying it and said that it sounds like a weird combination. After seeing how much I enjoyed it he wanted to have some and was quite surprised that he liked it too! =) He couldn’t taste the spinach at all.

Thanks for sharing this!

240 kara November 19, 2012

Hi Angela!
I love this version of the green monster. Do you know how many calories is in this one? And is the almond butter a good source of protein? Thank you!

241 Tahesha December 6, 2012

This looks sooooo yummy!

242 Kat December 6, 2012

Any suggestions for replacing the banana? My daughter is allergic to them.

243 Sarah December 8, 2012

Made this for the first time, delicious!!!

244 Liza December 19, 2012

I made and drank my first Green Monster this morning. I’m echoing so many others out there, but WOW. I had no idea that blending such simple things (nut butter, banana, almond milk) with so much spinach would actually taste that good! I’m absolutely amazed, and sold. Sold sold sold.
I am approaching 40 and I want to change. I eat too much meat, too much dairy. Never any vegetables. It’s time I grew up and gave my body something healthy- and this is it!

245 Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2012

I’m so glad you enjoyed it Liza!

246 cassie January 2, 2013

Hi! Stumbled apon your blog and greenmonstermovement.com today! Aaaand went to the store right after work! I got lucky with a .99 cent bag full of ripe organic bananas and organic spinach was on sale! I came home with the thought that these smoothies would be just for me because my boyfriend would be repulsed by the spinach addition! What another wonderful surprise I got, he was actually willing to try it with no complaints at all! Except I’m not allowed to put coconut milk in his! Lol. He also thought it had monster energy drink in it…men. Anyway, I cannot wait to try these in the morning! Hoping I get the same great results and effects as everyone else, and maybe it can help kickstart me to eat better!

Thanks!

247 Michelle January 5, 2013

When you make your smoothies you usually get about 2-3 cups of it. Do you drink it all or you leave it for later ? Or Eric drinks it ? :)

I’m curious because when I make my smoothies it’s often too much and I end up drinking all of it which is way too much for my stomach…. I don’t want to leave it for later becase they turn brown (from the banana) and dont look so delicious anymore….

248 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 5, 2013

Yup I drink it all :)

249 Adrienne January 7, 2013

Hi Angela,

I absolutely love this green monster smoothie, and your blog. I actually used the smoothie for my blog, I just made some minor changes. Of course, I added a link back to the original. I find this smoothie to be very refreshing compared to drinking coffee in the morning. Well, I wish you luck with your upcoming cookbook. I am looking to seeing it, and all the new recipes you have come up with.

250 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 7, 2013

Thank you Adrienne!

251 sharon January 10, 2013

I have not tried this yet. But I am going to this week. maybe tomorrow..Is there a fav to break me in? you should have a vote! Best green monster :)

252 sharon January 10, 2013

one last question do you need a fancy blender to make these good?

253 ashley allen January 11, 2013

Thank you for this recipe!! My husband and I just committed to a vegan diet for 2013 and your green machines have saved my mornings!!! Thank you!!

254 Stacy January 17, 2013

What are your favorite pro powders?

What is your opinion of garden of life raw pro?

And do u get any gi issues from combining protein powder, fats, and fruit?

Thanks!

255 Tami Ernst January 19, 2013

Hi Angela and Everyone,

My name is Tami, I live in Houston, Texas and I am thrilled to announce that I just made (and devoured every last drop) of my 1st Green Monster! Like many of us, I don’t have much time between work etc., to make healthful eating a reality everyday so I am excited to incorporate the GM & Angela’s other recipes into my diet.

I used a few ingredients I’m familiar with:
Spinach
Banana
Ice

And a few that are brand new to me…
English Cucumber (Delish, so light and crispy)
Almond Milk (Carrageenan free thanks to Angela’s post on this harmful ingredient)
Almond Butter (Yum!! Who know this stuff existed? It’s amazing!)
Chai Seeds (Also yum)
Kefir (Again, also yum)

I was really impressed at how tasty it was, and now I have a very happy tummy.

Thank you Angela!

256 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 21, 2013

Hey Tami, Im so glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing

257 Katherine January 26, 2013

I realize I’m late to the game, but I was flipping through your blog and was so inspired by your Green Monster post! Thank you for sharing your experiences. I’ve been blending all sorts of green smoothies since reading your blog — it’s my treat that I look forward to each day. Thank you Angela!

258 Zac Bakke January 28, 2013

I have been hearing that you shouldn’t eat raw maca aka maca flour. Instead it should be cooked or gelatinized. Your thoughts?

Love the green monster btw!

259 Angela (Oh She Glows) January 29, 2013

Ive never heard of that before, but I will have to look into it more!

260 Mary February 22, 2013

I just adore your blog and found the Monster Green Smoothie. I make one every day using spinach and my favorite protein powder, Plant Fusion. I just found Cookies and Cream but the Chocolate is lovely. I use the almond milk and frozen fruit or banana and tons of ice cubes to make it really thick and creamy. My trick is to pour into a To-Go container and then put that container into a wine cooler thingie someone gave me that i never used. My cup fits into it and while i am driving to work, my smoothie gets even smoothier and then I need to use a spoon to scoop, eat and drink it. My co-workers all ask me – WHat are you eating? Does it taste good? I tell them, you better keep your hands to yourself, that is how good it is.

261 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 22, 2013

Hi Mary! Thanks for your feedback…so glad you are enjoying it!! I share your enthusiasm :)

262 Jody February 28, 2013

OMG This is THE BEST recipe EVER!!! I am sipping on one right now! I am SOOO glad I found your website and have been raving about it to everyone I know, haha!! Can’t wait to try all of your recipes!!

Have a great day!! :)

263 Angela (Oh She Glows) February 28, 2013

Hi Jody, So glad you like the smoothie! Thanks for trying it out.

264 Kathy March 3, 2013

I am relatively new to your blog – discovered it recently when I was looking around for some new vegan recipes. I got hooked immediately! I have tried several of your recipes, and they were all delicious and manageable to make! I love how your personality shines through in your posts, and I love how beautiful the site looks. The photography is amazing! I had to comment today because I just made my first Green Monster. I have to admit, even though I love veggies, I have never found green drinks particularly appealing. But I decided to try this morning, and I am so glad I did – YUMMM!!!! Thank you!!!!

265 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 3, 2013

Hi Kathy, Thanks for your lovely comment! So glad you tried it out :)

266 Kathy March 5, 2013

Is it wrong to have multiple Green Monsters in a day??

267 nicole March 12, 2013

Do you need a high-quality blender or can you use a $20 or $30 target blender?

268 Samantha March 16, 2013

I recently discovered your blog and now I am hooked! This week, I just started making green monsters. I cantt believe how much more energetic I feel each morning. I don’t think I will go back to my cereal with milk roots. Thank you for all of the tasty recipes. I recently tried your easy GF and vegan crackers and they were amazing (& easy). Your story is very inspiring and I am very grateful for your how-to vegan posts. I am only a vegetarian now (& just as of recently), but I can’t help but feel that vegan is the way to go for me. Your posts helped me sort some of my thoughts out. They also got rid of some of the negativity I’ve been feeling from other people in my life about the vegan decision. You prove that you can eat deliciously satisfying food even without the meat, eggs, butter, and cheese. THANK YOU!

269 Emily March 26, 2013

Just tried one for the very first time and I love it! Thank you so much.

270 Angela (Oh She Glows) March 26, 2013

Glad to hear that Emily!!

271 Christine March 28, 2013

I enjoy these green monsters, especially with a splash of orange juice! I love flax, especially when added with soy protein powder.

Thanks for being such an inspiration with these recipes! I’m definitely going for a more organic regimen.

— C xx

272 Mariam March 28, 2013

Yummy! After the curiosity was just about to kill be every time I saw it on a blog or Instagram, a few months ago, I threw a bunch of baby spinach into my fave berry banana smoothie, I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted the same as usual!
I’ve experimented heaps ,more since and my new favourite combo is banana/kale/cinnamon/almond milk (I tried regular milk when I ran out of almond… it was the worst thing i’ve ever tried!) But with almond milk I actually couldn’t taste kale!

273 Josie April 5, 2013

I’m going through a smoothie fad right now! I’ve been making them every afternoon to give snacking at bay from lunch until dinner and it works:) Plus it makes me eat less at dinner… bonus! :)

274 Hillary April 26, 2013

Are there any good substitutions for banana? The smell of them makes me sick.

275 MissChievousRN May 4, 2013

I was so inspired by this article when I first read it, that I had to make a green monster immediately! It was terrible! but I didnt follow your recipe- I just threw a bunch of stuff in my blender and choked it down…
I didnt give up and kept trying different combos. I have been trying to keep my sweets to a minimum and avoiding all forms of fructose to keep my post menopause belly to a minimum- oh yeah, and I really strongly dislike bananas…
After about a week of smoothies, some good, some bad, I realized I had started to actually CRAVE my daily monsters! I was excited everyday to whip up whatever and gulp it down, even if it wasnt the greatest….
So after a few months of trial and error, I realized Ive basically come up with the same formula as the classic monster only I use an 1/2 apple for a touch of sweetness instead of the banana. And apples have important fat fighting and detoxing enzymes so I can justify the fructose. Here are some more hints:
1. I ALWAYS add a small scoop (about a tablespoon) of granulated/powdered kelp- I buy Frontier brand (quality and price excellent) from amazon- because the greens can be very goitrogenic and combined with estrogen, I really need the iodine
2. I also splurge on green powder whenever I can (also excellent prices and options from amazon and vitacost)
3. I use whole foods 365 brand organic frozen spinach and kale- first of all, its CRAZY EASY and the frozen part is an extra plus and secondly, after buying tons of fresh organic spinach all winter, frozen is WAY CHEAPER and theres no spoilage or degrading of nutrients.
Of course garden fresh is even cheaper and better now that spring is here- and remember: dark green leafys freeze GREAT! so Im over planting like crazy!!! and planting NEW ZEALAND spinach for hot summer harvesting
4. I add a 2″ chunk of daikon radish for fat melting (no icky radish taste) google it :)
5. I toss in all kinds of extra power foods depending on whats in my fridge- leftover beets, chunks of sweet potato, shelled edamame, etc-
6. For an interesting twist: try tossing PICKLES in for flavor or even SALAD DRSG

276 Valerie Perdue May 10, 2013

I tried my first Green Monster today. I can’t believe my own taste buds. It was DELICIOUS! Just like you said it would be. And so WONDERFUL that I wanted to make another one and drink it right away! (I didn’t.) I used your basic recipe, but kept it simple and strictly to my taste because I was skeptical. 1 cup organic soy milk, 1 Tbsp organic fair trade chocolate chips (not the most nutrition, but I know I like chocolate and banana), 2 huge handfuls of organic baby baby spinach (about 5 oz), and a frozen banana. Whipped it up. OH MY!!! It was VERY GREEN and VERY GOOD! There is no ice cream treat that I would prefer to have. Thank you!

277 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2013

yay! So happy to hear that Valerie!

278 Taryn May 15, 2013

OMG!!! i just made this for the first time today and IT IS AMAZING!!!!! so smooth, creamy and delicious!!! this is def going to be an everyday thing!!! THANK YOU!!

279 Nicki June 22, 2013

I just made my first green monster! It was amazing!!! Thank you!

280 Emily July 23, 2013

I love this smoothie. Can I post one of your pictures with the recipe on my blog? I will credit you and link to your site of course!!

281 Morgan August 1, 2013

I’ve only recently stumbled upon your site after my dad made one of your oatmeal bars. And ho-dang, are those delicious! Anyway, to the point, I’ve never made a green monster but today after my workout and grocery shopping, I was excited to try. Made this recipe exactly, didn’t add protein powder (though I probably will in the future). Results: #$%@ing delicious. This will definitely become a staple in my day, either after hopping out of bed, or post workout. Thank you thank you thank you!

282 Suzy August 6, 2013

Hi Angela,
What do you think about freezing Green Monsters? I work suuuper early and blending while the house is asleep is tricky business, but I love starting the day with these! Do you think freezing would work or have any other ideas??

Thanks!

283 Brittany August 13, 2013

I too an a green smoothie addict, the only difference in my recipes is that i add Source of Life to mine. It’s packed full of wonderful things and tastes AMAZING. Look it up,I bet you would love it.

284 Yasmina November 6, 2013

Hello Angela!

I’ve been hooked on your blog for the past 2 days (since I discovered actually), and it is such a pleasure!

I was wondering if it was okay to use frozen spinash leaves for this green monster? :) it’s the only thing I have..

Thank you!!

285 Angela (Oh She Glows) November 7, 2013

Yes I’m sure that’s fine – just add a smaller amount since they are usually more compacted. Just add to taste and you should be fine. Thanks for reading! Glad to hear you are enjoying the blog :)

286 Kayla November 10, 2013

Is it possible to make this in quantity and keep in your fridge without turning? I am way too lazy to make this in the mornings but it would be nice to have it ready in the fridge and just pour some in a to go cup on the way to school or work.

287 Kara December 11, 2013

Even my carnivore husband loves your green monster. I add a little coffee to mine in the morning. Omg it is too good and makes me feel ready for the day! Thank you for this delicious recipe!

288 Ashley January 2, 2014

Where did you buy the glasses please?

289 marfigs January 14, 2014

I know there’s a thousand other comments saying exactly the same thing but I overcame my fear of the green smoothie this morning and it is AWESOME! :D :D

290 Margaret Hart January 21, 2014

This is one of my FAVORITE green smoothies. Thanks for the great recipe, Angela! Very filling, and you can barely detect the greens :) . I created a video of the recipe for my “5 days of green” video series to kick off the new year over on my YouTube channel.

291 samantha nikohl February 5, 2014

firstly, i love your website. I’m twenty one and a superhero/mother of two growing boys (4 and 3 years old) living a vegan lifestyle alongside my amazing husband who has been supportive and committed to this lifestyle since day one. BUT… I’ve been losing weight, and it’s a cause for concern because I eat four regular meals and snack all the time but the pounds are still sneaking off. I am 5’8″, 116 pounds (sigh) and I’ve never been worried about my weight or appearance until now. i don’t “workout” but we do a lot of physical activities with my boys on the weekend, and for my age i would say i’m in shape (no six pack but i can bench my toddlers like no one’s business). i haven’t seen a doctor since my youngest son was born and currently live by hippocrates “let food be thy medicine” which works for me and my body til, well, i don’t know which food to prescribe myself.

what foods would you recommend for gaining weight and what protein powder have you had the best luck with in your GMs? would really appreciate your opinion, and again your website has blessed my husband with many delicious meals (if i let him select recipes, he washes dishes… it’s a huge win-win in my house) (:

292 LaVerne March 21, 2014

I like the almond milk, spinach, frozen banana, chia seeds, almond butter and cinnamon. It’s really good. That’s your recipe. I make one for breakfast every morning; almond milk, spinach, mixed berries, banana, chia seeds & cinnamon. Thanks for all the recipe ideas. “OhSheGlows” is my go to website.

293 sara young April 13, 2014

Omg! I am hooked! Started last week, want to share my favorite breakfast smoothie for pre workout… 1 cucumber with peel, 1 apple also with peel, quarter of large lemon with half peel, half avocado, 2 celery, 3 kale thick woody stem removed, flax, chia, nutritional yeast, coconut water. I love this and can douvle my workout with much less tiredness after. Love your page!

294 Brandy June 29, 2014

I just had my first green monster. It was delicious. I was freaked out at first from the bright green so it took a couple of minutes to get the courage to drink it.

295 Mary G. July 5, 2014

love this recipe and the background on why you decided to consume more smoothies.

296 Kyla August 10, 2014

OMG I just made my first Green Monster and it was simply fabulous! This I will be making many times! Thanks so much!

297 Celeste August 29, 2014

Do you have a smoothie recipe that uses coconut water by chance? I really don’t love almond milk and I wasn’t sure if this recipe would work with coconut water.

298 domain September 6, 2014

My brother recommended I might like this blog. He was totally right.
This post truly made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

299 Tanysha Jeffree September 7, 2014

Just made my first one, I used normal spinach not baby spinach and you can still not taste it :) used plain unsweetened almond milk, I might add a dash of vanilla essence tomorrow. Yummy!

300 Donelle November 14, 2014

Lovin’ it!

301 Leslie December 12, 2014

Just thought that I would share that your green monster recipe is so yummy, that it even helps to disguise the taste of natto, which I’m sure you know is considered to be incredibly disgusting by most, but so healthy for you. I froze about a cup of it and added it to a classic green monster, plus a scoop of chocolate powder, and it was so much easier to get it down than any other method I’ve tried. I barely could taste it!

302 Haley January 12, 2015

This smoothie is amazing, I am soo soo surprised! I was expecting a mess/disaster but this is great! I added the protein powder and it was a flavour game changer! Completely masked the taste of the kale. It’s safe to say I’m a fan!

303 Brittany May 17, 2015

I’ve found that bright flavors such as pineapple or mango hide kale without the need for more fruit than normal! I do about 2 handfuls of kale with a half mango and a couple spoon fulls of pineapple. I only use mango or banana one per smoothie as I’ve found they give me the same consistency in the end.

304 Tanysha September 11, 2015

How long would these past in the fridge? My housemate is always asleep when I’m getting ready so I don’t want to wake her with the blender at 6.30am! Would they last overnight?

305 Eva October 22, 2015

Hi, does the banana need to be frozen?