Classic Green Monster

greenmonster   Classic Green Monster

It is hard to believe that the 2-year anniversary of the Green Monster is coming up on January 20th!

In January 2009, I felt a huge void in my life. I was unhappy with my career and I was often up late at night until 3 or 4 in the morning worrying about work. I dragged all day long and I was turning into someone I didn’t recognize anymore. I started blending green vegetables in my blender after reading about Kris Carr’s green juices. While I didn’t have a juicer, I did have a blender, and I was excited to blend my green ‘juice’ any way that I could.

In my Story of the Green Monster post, I explained:

Determined to feel alive once again, I crammed the healthiest foods into my blender and I blended my little heart out. Of course, the first few attempts looked horrific and they tasted no better. But, I didn’t care. I drank every last drop of those green monsters before I made the long commute to work each morning. The green monster not only gave me energy, but it represented something much deeper than that- inner peace and self-love. I knew that the stress I had put myself through over the past few years was nothing short of damaging to every cell in my body. I created the Green Monsters as a way to take time out for my health. Even if I knew it was going to be a hellish day, drinking my Green Monster in the morning provided me with a sense of calm in my life.

This was one of my first concoctions:

img 4414 thumb thumb   Classic Green Monster

No almond milk, just kale, an English cucumber, and baby carrots. lol. It was scary to say the least!

img 4419 thumb thumb   Classic Green Monster

Thankfully, my Green Monsters have improved greatly since those initial days.

On January 26, 2009, I gave my two weeks notice at my job. It was a very, very bad week for me and I was at an all-time low in my life. I drank those green monsters every single morning despite everything going on. I imagined that I was Popeye with superhuman strength. And boy did I need it.

I still receive a lot of emails and tweets from people who have just tried their first green monster. Many people have challenged themselves to drink Green Monsters in 2011 and I’m always excited to hear about other’s experiences! The most frequent message I receive is, ‘I thought they looked so gross, but they actually taste so delicious! Now I am hooked.’

I am also asked a lot what my classic go-to recipe is so I thought it would be fun to do a post on my most frequently enjoyed Green Monster recipe.

This is a recipe that I keep coming back to again and again and it never fails me.

IMG 8945 thumb   Classic Green Monster

IMG 8942 thumb   Classic Green Monster

When I am feeling a little frisky, I love to add in some powders too! I keep Navitas Maca powder, Vega Shake & Go, and Amazing Grass Wheat Grass on hand whenever the budget allows.

IMG 8948 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Yesterday I added into the classic mix: 1 tsp Maca, 1 tbsp Vanilla Almond Shake & Go, and 1/2 scoop wheatgrass powder. It was my first time trying Vega Vanilla Almond and I thought it was pretty good, but I greatly prefer the Choc-O-lot flavour. I love making a Chocolate-Mint GM using Vega’s Choc-O-Lot and some fresh mint leaves.

Add your liquid in first. This just helps the blender do its job better.

IMG 8951 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Next add in your powders, chia seeds or ground flax, and your nut butter:

IMG 8952 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Now add the greens. I use two handfuls of whatever green I have on hand. I most often use spinach, but I also like to use red or green kale now that my Vita-Mix can handle it.

IMG 8953 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Finally, add the banana. The weight helps pack all the ingredients down!

IMG 8954 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Blend away until smooth!

IMG 8956 thumb   Classic Green Monster

I added in 2 large ice cubes and blended some more.

Pour into a glass and enjoy!

IMG 8957 thumb   Classic Green Monster

I love my Glass Dharma straw.

Mmm, this one is absolutely delicious. Creamy, sweet, smooth, and loaded with nutrients!

IMG 8958 thumb1   Classic Green Monster

I’m always asked how I can drink smoothies during the cold winter months and my answer is easy:

I often drink Green Monsters following my workout when I am often craving something liquid and cold.

IMG 8967 thumb   Classic Green Monster

I’m also always asked if you can taste the spinach and the answer is no. =) Kale, on the other hand…YES (unless you make it super sweet to overpower the bitter quality of the kale).

Good to the last drop!

IMG 8971 thumb   Classic Green Monster

Other Mentionables:

1) Need more encouragement to eat your veggies? Check out this article: ‘Want a Golden Glow? Don’t Bother with a Suntan- Eat Your Greens Instead.

2) My Winter 2011 training plan is now up on my Races page. I will be talking about this in more detail soon!

3) Check out these 30 new Green Monster reader recipes on GMM.

Are you a smoothie or ‘Green Monster’ fan? What’s your favourite go-to recipe?

Liz @ Blog is the New Black January 13, 2011

Diggin’ the classic! Great reminder that I need to make me one of this bad boys soon!

Kristy @ KristyRuns January 13, 2011

I drink a green monster several times a week! I usually add a banana, frozen mixed berries, spinach, and soy milk. LOVE! I credit these to keeping my iron levels high despite not eating meat. Hmmm…sounds like a good mid-morning snack… ;)

Daniel January 13, 2011

There’s something satisfying about putting greens into my smoothie that I can’t put into words, but it’s definitely there.

Generally I toss in a tablespoon of flax, a handful or two of greens (kind of limited seeing as organic doesn’t really exist in my town and kale is as foreign as it gets here), half of a frozen banana, some roasted squash for thickness, and then I pour in the almond or soy milk as I go along to get to a creamy, pea-soup like thickness. I prefer to eat my smoothies with a spoon rather than drinking them. ;)

Cait @ A Bicycle Built for Two January 13, 2011

I’ve never made a green monster but after hearing so much about it on here, I’d say its about time I give it a try :) I’m a HUGE fan of any kind of smoothie, so I’m sure I would love it. Thanks for promoting such healthy and GOOD recipes!

Halley (Blunder Construction) January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! Reading about yours over the summer got me interested, and I think I made one every single hot summer morning! They are the best!

Cathy Breit January 13, 2011

These have changed the way I look at greens, literally! Chocolate green monster, anyone? Thanks for opening my mind, OSG!!
love,
cathy b. @ brightbakes

Katy (The Singing Runner) January 13, 2011

I love Green Monsters! I have them at least 4 times a week! :D People think I’m crazy but I’m addicted to them!

Jessica Lauren DeBry June 6, 2014

Me too Katy!! It truly is an addiction!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat January 13, 2011

I didn’t actually know your full story behind the GM, but I have to say THANK YOU x100000 for introducing me to them! I start almost every day with one and they have made such a difference in my energy levels, overall health (and I think) my immune system. Oh, and they’re freakin delicious!! :)

Katie January 13, 2011

How is your Vitamix SO clean?!?! Mine is…um…not so clear anymore. I swear I wash it everytime too.

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 13, 2011

I have that problem too….sometimes I use one of those scrubber pads + lots of dish soap and hot water to get it clear again!

Sharon January 13, 2011

Rinse it out…add water and soap and run it on medium (not too high or you will have lots of bubbles!)…gives it a nice pre-wash and shakes out all the bits and seeds that get caught around the blades!

thefruitpursuit (Sabine) January 13, 2011

I always almost weep at your story :)

I have made tons of green monsters, I mostly make them pink or purple haha so they are easier to drink for me.

x sabine

Nancy V January 13, 2011

lol, ok so I’m not the only one… mine end up being purple thanks to blueberries ;)

Amanda R. January 13, 2011

I spent my entire 8am lecture dreaming of green monsters, dashed back to my dorm to make one, and sat down to enjoy it while checking to see if you had posted this morning yet…..I think we might be on the same brain wave this morning! especially since mine was a classic, with a TBSP of chocolate- peanut butter! i love being green <3

Mimi January 13, 2011

If it wasn’t for you, I would have never tried a Green Monster. That being said, thank goodness for you! (:

Suzanne January 13, 2011

I cant wait to try these! Thank you so very much! Ill be stopping by the store on my way home from work. :)

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn January 13, 2011

Lately my life has been quite rough, so I’ve been having at least one green smoothie every day. Most of the time I have them first thing in the morning, and I notice a change in myself throughout the day for the better, and every day even better than the last!

Thank you for spreading the green smoothie love, I truly believe it’s something that can help ANYONE’S and EVERYONE’S health for the better (body and soul!), whether they need a pick-me-up or not:)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious January 13, 2011

i am a huge green monster fan….i just started adding fresh mint to mine and love it. i actually just posted my fav all green smoothie yesterday…i can actually feel a difference when i don’t have it. it boosts my energy and mood!!

kelly January 13, 2011

I like drinking green monsters as my ‘juice’ to go with an egg & cheese sandwich (since it has no veggies or fruit). Makes for a complete breakfast! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is January 13, 2011

I always add spinach to my smoothies since I hate veggies so much. But my other must haves are frozen bananas and frozen cherries!

Angie @ Musings of a Violet Monkey January 13, 2011

I just started drinking Green Monsters at the start of the new year. I had always *meant* to, but never got into the habit until now. I haven’t tried adding any nut butters to them, though I may have to try that soon. (I rec’d a 14 cup Cuisinart for Xmas and have been making nut butters like crazy since then!). :)

~

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 13, 2011

This combo was actually my first green monster!! Definitely tasty :D

Beach Bum Beauty January 13, 2011

Well you’re persuasive! I am not going to try one of these, they don’t look half as scary as they sound, excited now! Thank you again for getting me to try something I would previously have avoided :-)

Lisa January 13, 2011

Yum. I just recently started drinking Green Monsters and got my boyfriends hooked on them as well! I usually make a recipe pretty similar to the classic, but without nut butter. I’ll try adding that next time. Our blender just broke so I am anxiously waiting on our new one to arrive – I have some spinach to eat! I love being able to pack so much good healthy food into one little smoothie.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans January 13, 2011

I’m so glad I discovered the GM via OSG. Its quickly become one of my favorite go-tos for a healthy snack!

Camille January 13, 2011

I have been having a classic GM almost every day for lunch lately :) It is such a perfect meal and it makes my skin glow :)

Val @ Balancing Val January 13, 2011

LOVE this!

2 years ago I started experimenting with putting greens in my protein shakes when I was a wanna be bodybuilder.

I enjoy mine so much more now. I call mine swamp shakes because they have a brown color to them but its amazing how much energy you draw from them.

You can totally tell a difference in your vital force when you have these nutrients regularly!! :)

Amy @ Teach, Write, Cook January 13, 2011

I am glad to see you use baby spinach most often, too. I have tried kale in my green monsters but can’t quite get past the taste and smell, so I stick to spinach most of the time!

Amanda @ Just Amanda J January 13, 2011

I remember trying one of these for the first time over a year ago. My roommate was totally grossed out, and I admit I was a little scared too, but the banana and almond milk really did make it sweet enough :) I need to get back to making these, thanks for the reminder!

Beth @ DiningAndDishing January 13, 2011

You’ve changed a lot of lives with these Angela!! I had a smoothie just this morning actually. A GM without the green – no spinach to be had sadly!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 13, 2011

i have a green monster almost every day! i pack a good 3 cups of spinach into that thing ! my favorite is with pumpkin and sun warrior, i almost feel super human after i’m finished with it ;) when i make it for others they honestly can’t believe how food it is and want more!

Michele December 1, 2012

I am curious to know the exact recipe for your “fave” with pumpkin. I am a huge pumpkin fan and completely intrigued!

Felicia (a taste of health with balance) January 13, 2011

i have a green monster almost every day! i pack a good 3 cups of spinach into that thing ! my favorite is with pumpkin and sun warrior, i almost feel super human after i’m finished with it ;) when i make it for others they honestly can’t believe how good it is and want more!

Allison @ Food For Healing January 13, 2011

its nice to see and hear about all your positive changes, and sharing them with you readers!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg January 13, 2011

I had no idea that the Green Monster and I shared a BIRTHDAY!!! There’s no one I’d rather share it with more, ha! I love ‘em– classic style!

Amanda January 13, 2011

Green Monsters have changed my life. Thank you Angela. My kiddos drink them every morning (Miracles DO happen lol) as well. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Brittney January 13, 2011

Had one this morning with a splash of egg nog and nutmeg. YUM!

meg January 13, 2011

My “go-to” GM recipe is a banana, several (maybe four?) organic strawberries, a cup or so of orange juice, a little almond milk, and a big handful of spinach. I actually presented it (with samples!) for a “carte blanche” get-to-know-you presentation in one of my classes last semester, and everyone that tried it was surprised by how non-gross it was! :]

JenATX January 13, 2011

so pretty! mine never look as beautiful but I guess you can’t judge a book by its cover (or a drink by its hue) haha

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) January 13, 2011

I LOVE GMs!! I too thought I would hate them, but they are SO good! Especially love adding a little chocolate powder…Chocolaty Green Monsters are the BOMB! :D

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' January 13, 2011

I love green monsters! I was turned on to them after reading the book, “Green for Life,” and have been enjoying them regularly ever since! :D

My favorite recipe: 1 cup almond milk, 1 banana, juice of 1/2 lemon, 2-3 handfuls fresh spinach, 1 green pear, cored, and a generous shake of cinnamon. So good!

I also love making Kristen’s “Cherry Chocolate Bomb” with a few handfuls of spinach– it’s the perfect sweet treat!

Haleigh January 13, 2011

I need to bring back Green Monsters into my life :) I just don’t know if I could choke down a liquid breakfast during the winter…we shall see!

Wendy (Healthy Girl's Kitchen) January 13, 2011

Love my green smoothie every morning. Once you go there, you never go back.

Emily @ One Sweet Vegan January 13, 2011

I make a smoothie similar to this and similar to Dr. Fuhrman’s Eat Your Greens Fruit Smoothie. It has 5 oz. of spinach for a blender-full. The first time I tried it, I was scared. But, like you said, you can’t taste the spinach. Swiss chard, on the other hand, you can definitely taste! I started drinking a green smoothie every morning instead of my usual cup of coffee and I felt so much more energized. :-D

Page 1 of 712345»...Last »