Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on December 18, 2010

IMG_6311bbbb

Good morning!

Thanks for all your comments on yesterday’s post. I feel like a got a huge virtual bear hug and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Then I got a real hug when Eric came home from work last night!

I’ve been battling a tension headache since yesterday afternoon and I still could not fall asleep last night until 3am. I’m hoping this hit by a truck feeling passes soon because I have a lot of life to catch up on and a long to-do list waiting for me.

I’m going to be rocking the Green Monsters hard core this weekend to make sure I don’t get sick and of course, I will be resting. I haven’t had the energy to workout in a few days now and I think I will be taking today off from exercise until my body feels like its old self again. There is no sense in running myself into the ground when I am not feeling myself.

Exercise will always be waiting for me when my body feels back to normal!

I used to feel guilty for taking some time away from exercise, but I have realized over the past couple years that sometimes in life, we really just need a BREAK, especially during the holiday season.

I am a firm believer that our bodies tell us what we need to know and I think listening to them when they are not 100% is always a good thing.

Today, I am sharing my all-time favourite holiday drink…Egg Nog, Only there are no eggs or cream in it so it is technically Egg and Dairy free Nog. It contains some kick-butt ingredients like avocado, banana, and coconut milk that blend together to create a creamy and rich indulgent drink. This Vegan Nog is highly addictive and fairly sweet, so less is more in this case. Or if you are feeling down in the dumps, more is more.

It’s your call.

IMG_6283

IMG_6233

This is very easy to make in the blender and it tastes incredible! Of course it doesn’t taste exactly like classic egg nog, but it comes close enough that I don’t miss the old stuff at all.

IMG_6302

Don’t worry you can’t taste the avocado either!

Spiking it can be fun too…

20101120-IMG_1409

The bourbon is totally optional, but it tastes delicious either way!

IMG_6254

IMG_6315

Peppermint Nog

For the Peppermint Nog version, use the recipe above and simply add 1-2 tsp of pure peppermint extract and do not use the vanilla extract. You could also try using fresh mint leaves for a minty green kick and beautiful mint colour.

Garnish with a candy cane stick and crushed candy cane on top.

IMG_6321

I enjoyed both of them, but I think I prefer the Classic Vegan Nog over the peppermint version.

It would also be fun to try making chocolate nog, by adding some cocoa powder and maybe even carob powder! I’m sure that the recipe could be adapted many ways. I wonder what a Gingerbread Nog would taste like?

IMG_6306

I’m supposed to be checking some things off my to-do list right now, but all I really feel like is a hot bubble bath complete with Epsom salts, candles, vegan nog, and a book! I think I have my answer.

Have a great Saturday!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 18, 2010 at 12:26 pm

Mmmm! Spiked version, please ;) I hate egg nog because it’s so thick and goobery, but I think a vegan version would be less slimy and more soothing. Sounds fantastic! I’m with ya on the not 100% thing…I think I’m going to spend my day in bed with some movies and blogs as well…I think getting out and trying to do anything too productive will just wear me out more. Feel better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 12:31 pm

thanks, I hope u feel better soon!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 18, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I feel like I’m the only person in the blogosphere who doesn’t like eggnogg, but the description of the vegan version sounds amazing!! Especially the peppermint…

Jackie @ Baking Charms December 18, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I’ve never really had an interest in drinking eggnog before, but the peppermint version may change my mind!

Congrats on making it to the finals in PFB… we were rootin’ for you :D

vegantickles December 18, 2010 at 12:40 pm

You always come up with the most innovative recipes. LOVE YOUR SITE. I’m gonna make your PROTEIN GODDESS BOWL today. Hope mine’s looks as good as yours!

Lauren Guerrieri December 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm

Hey Angela,
That looks awesome! It sounds like you need to relax this weekend and some TLC – I hope you feel better!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 18, 2010 at 12:47 pm

I never liked real egg nog, but I tried Rice Nog at Whole Foods and it was GOOD! They served it warm, too, but I guess this recipe needs to be cold.

My fave holiday drink is Puerto Rican coquito, which can be made with eggs, but I’ve only had it without. My husband’s made it using coconut cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, rum…I might be missing something but it’s super delicious and easy to veganize!

Tamara December 18, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I’ve never tried real eggnog, actually. Just the thought of raw eggs in my drink makes me squirm. I’ve thought about trying the Silk “Nog” at the grocery store now, but yours looks a lot more substantial. Now I just have to find six people to share it with :p

sarah December 18, 2010 at 12:53 pm

thanks for the wonderful idea, I will use that for xmas staff lunch!!

Roanne December 18, 2010 at 12:54 pm

This looks yummy! I love how you veganize everything! I commented on one of you’re earlier posts but I”m not sure if you got it, anyway I was wondering what kind of processor you use. I’ve been using my blender for most things and I’m worried it’s going to burn out ( it doesn’t like to chop bananas or dates).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:07 pm

I have a Kitchenaid 10 or 12 cup…it is decent, but not always great at processing depending on what it is. I havent found a processor that im in love with yet.

Roanne December 18, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Thanks Angela, Kitchenaid is one of the few that I googled and it got pretty good reviews. Can’t wait to get it..I’m sure the blender will be happy too! :)

Bridget December 18, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I love eggnog and this look so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us Ange :) Happy holidays!!!

Healthy Chocoholic December 18, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Looks tasty!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Beth December 18, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Gosh – I really need to stop looking at your recipes before I’ve eaten breakfast. SO yum!!

Amber K December 18, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I’m so bummed that every vegan egg nog recipe I’ve found has coconut in it. Ugh, no egg nog for me!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 18, 2010 at 6:17 pm

what about just using almond milk? It might not be as thick!!

Amber K December 18, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Hmm, hadn’t thought of that! It has been in every single vegan nog recipe I’ve seen, so I figured it was essential. But I could totally play around with it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Thats a great suggestion…it wouldnt be as thick, but you could use more frozen avocado to sub for the coconut milk’s thickness

[email protected] December 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Oh my goodness. I’m going to try to make some version of this- I’ve been wanting to try making homemade eggnog but just haven’t done it bc I don’t like the idea of raw eggs in my drink! Looks delicious :-)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 18, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I haven’t had “normal” eggnog since I was a kid because it’s sooo bad for you but I tried Silk Nog last year and thought it was quite tasty. Your recipe looks great!

Robyn December 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Looks delicious, but I’m still holding my breath for some vegan sugar cookies! I make vegan sugar cookies every year as gifts, but the recipe I use, while delicious, uses tofutti cream cheese which I am not a fan of due to the trans fat in it. I’m antsy to see what you come up with and change up my tradition to a healthier recipe!

Jaime December 19, 2010 at 11:17 am

I was really put off by the trans fat in tofutti cream cheese as well, but then I found out that they make a plain cream cheese and a sour cream that are made with non-hydrogenated oil, therefore are trans fat free :) Yay!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 18, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I’ve never had eggnog before but I once tried putting avocados and banana in a smoothie and the result was super creamy :) I think I’ll have to make a gingerbread version of this :) Thanks!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 18, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Oh and as I’m writing this I’m totally eating homemade hummus with a spoon and it made me think of you :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm

lol love it

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 18, 2010 at 1:53 pm

classic nog is the best…and i love that i can feel better about drinking this too…well, more so than the original version :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

Sounds like I finally have something to do with the frozen avocado and bananas in my freezer :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 18, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’ve never been a huge fan of eggnog so this vegan version sounds so much more appealing! Especially the peppermint variety!

Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. December 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Looks delicious.

I find whipping up a frozen banana, soy milk, and some pumpkin pie seasoning puts me in the “not quite egg nog, but still a festive holiday drink” mood.

Sommer J December 18, 2010 at 2:18 pm

This sounds better than the original! Hope you get well soon :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 18, 2010 at 2:25 pm

What a creative recipe. I don’t love classic nog but I think I would love this!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 18, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Looks delish, Angela! Both versions! avocado, banana, and coconut milk are all fabulous…and the less is more vs. more is more. I would say, more is more, for sure :) Cross between smoothies and nog = ring ring winner winner!

But this: “1/4 cup-1/2 cup Bourbon (optional), to taste”

I would hardly call the bouron ‘optional’…haha! Tis the season to indulge, well, for me it is :)

Stay warm, my friend!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 18, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Mmmmmm I’ll have to try this. ;)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 18, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Those look so thick and tasty! I love the gingerbread idea!!

Winnie December 18, 2010 at 3:35 pm

This sounds absolutely amazing! I’ve made a similar drink before but your’s sounds better.
Want you to know that your work for PFB was really beautiful- loved all the posts you did- and I’ll continue to follow your blog. I am not vegan, but I’m now a fan nontheless ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Winnie!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 18, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Wow vegan eggnog! That peppermint one looks especially good! You are so creative Angela! :)

Alaina December 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Sounds like a wonderful way to unwide.

I’ve never been a huge nog fan, but peppermint might be the way to go :-)

Vanessa December 18, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Was never a huge eggnog drinker.. Usually only drank it if it was spiked ;-) How convenient that I have all of these ingredients on hand!! Looks deeelish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:10 pm

hope u enjoy it!

Amy December 18, 2010 at 4:20 pm

This looks delicious, can’t wait to try it! I absolutley love your blog and am dieing to try your glow bars but i am allergic to peanuts! Have you ever considered making one without peanut butter? Also I always see you eating all different types of nut butters, have you ever had sun butter? It’s made with sunflower seeds! Thank you for your blog you are a total inspiration.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I have thought about it, but I decided that I cant guarantee that any bars might not have peanuts in it since some of my ingredients are processed in facilities with peanuts and I also have them around all the time. It wouldnt be worth the risk unfortunately, Im sorry you can’t try them!

I have had sunbutter and it is GREAT!!

Ashley (Taste for Healthy) December 18, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Mmmmmmm… I can’t wait to try these!! And avocado as an ingredient? I never would have thought of that. :) Enjoy your relaxing Saturday afternoon… and take care of yourself! The cold and rainy weather has me anticipating a hot epson salt bath with candles too. :)

Danielle December 18, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Yuck! I hate egg nog. But, if my experience with Vegan Egg Nog is anything like that with the veganized versions of lasagna and burgers, I’m sure I’ll love this recipe. Thanks Ang! ;)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace December 18, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yummy Angela, I absolutely love anything peppermint and my all time favorite ice cream this time of year is peppermint ice cream. This nog sounds so good!

ezzie December 18, 2010 at 6:07 pm

Uh, YUM! The avocados sitting in my fridge is calling my name now.

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 18, 2010 at 6:29 pm

This looks so good and I would glady drink this Vegan Nog. I have never been a fan of egg nog because just the thought of eggs make me kind of gag. This nog I could do. I will be trying this very soon :)

britt December 18, 2010 at 7:23 pm

mmmmm! that looks so creamy and thick and yummy! i love eggnog but can only drink a tiny bit at a time. will definitely try this out soon!

Danielle December 18, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Crushed spices and/or candy bits add such a nice layer of texture to creamy drinks!

Camille December 18, 2010 at 8:48 pm

So pretty! I have actually never had egg nog (shock!). I think this would be a perfect way to try it :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 18, 2010 at 8:50 pm

You’re so creative! This all looks awesome!

Charmaine @ Perfectly Picked December 18, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Mmm, this vegan nog sounds sooo good. I definitely will have to put this on my list of things to make!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm

Thank you for this post! I was feeling guilty about taking the entire weekend off working out, but what you said made me feel ridiculous for feeling guilty. You’re right – we need to give ourselves a break every now and then!

Both of these look incredible! I don’t like egg nog, but I know I’d love these. ;)

Katey @ Bonne Santé December 18, 2010 at 9:59 pm

Glad someone is with me on the avocado in smoothie fetish. Makes it SO smooth & creamy!
Looks divine, as always :)

Roz December 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Holy moly!! MUST try this at some time over the holidays!!! (with recipes and photos like this, shows why you made top 3 in the food blogger challenge!!! awesome!!!)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious December 18, 2010 at 10:30 pm

lovely recipe. good idea to freeze avocados. this version will be thick and delicious!! thank you for sharing.

Heather December 18, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestion & recipe girl!! The store I work at here in Sydney just created a “Bailey’s custard” that’s like egg nog and I haven’t dared buy it with all the dairy. I’ll have to give this a whirl over the holidays!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 18, 2010 at 11:21 pm

“Bourbon optional” … Hahahaha! You haven’t met my family. ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm

i havent met u but I already like you

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 19, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Awwww – thanks!

Lorin December 19, 2010 at 12:19 am

Oh man, that looks good! I just found your blog, but I’ve always heard about you! I checked out your glo bar website and I am bummed everything is sold out, but I am not suprised! The variety pack looks delicious, wish I could’ve seen it sooner! Oh well, have a great and fun pre-christmas week!

Stephie December 19, 2010 at 4:02 am

Just adding another (((((hug))))) feel better soon!

Thanks for the great recipe !

x

yasmine (mypurplegrape) December 19, 2010 at 5:35 am

Weel done on making the finals! a HUGE acheivment :)

get well soon X

tweal December 19, 2010 at 6:45 am

That is a very interesting nog recipe – I love the stuff but have never attempted to make it myself. Do you think it would work without the avocado? I don’t like to have avocados in my drinks because it messes with my digestion (bad food combining I guess).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2010 at 1:42 pm

im not sure…you could try using 1/5 frozen bananas instead of the avocado + banana…it would just come out tasting more like banana though. it would still taste good, just maybe not as authentic

Amy December 19, 2010 at 7:12 am

Hello!
Do you think Soy milk would be okay to substitute the Almond milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Yes I do! :)

Robin December 19, 2010 at 8:49 am

Your recipe as always, sounds wonderful! I love your positive attitude…always!

I must say that I followed your Food Blog contest and was a faithful voter, you were always tops!! I felt truly sad when you did not win first! You have an incredible gift and your passion and purpose in life really shines through. You were amazing!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 19, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Thanks Robin!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter December 19, 2010 at 11:01 am

I definitely want to try this recipe. I liked egg nog okay, but the eggyness and heavy whipping cream never agreed with my stomach.

Hannah December 19, 2010 at 12:15 pm

MMM these look so good!!!

Melissa @ I Never Imagined December 19, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I’m sorry you’re not feeling 100%… I wish we could virtual-hug you back to full health! But until you are feeling better I am very glad that you’re listening to your body and taking the time to relax and heal. Good for you, Ange. We love you!!

Kris | iheartwellness.com December 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm

You did an amazing job with the challenge!! I loved all your posts and recipes :)
Enjoy your relaxing day full of warmth and bubbles ;) Go spike your nog, you’ll feel better!

xxoo

Kate @ahealthypassion December 19, 2010 at 2:41 pm

Yum that looks so delicious. I have never been a fan of eggnog but this looks so much better and healthier! Cant wait to try it.

Bekah December 19, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Angela,
I love reading your blog and enjoy seeing how you make traditionally non-vegan food into something vegan, healthy and delicious. I am starting my own personal journey of overcoming a dysfuntional way of eating and I would LOVE to get a tour of your kitchen. See what your weekly shopping list has on it. The stapple items you keep on hand to create a balanced and tastey concoction!

Bekah

Kasey December 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Hope you feel better! I totally agree about listening to your body and giving it rest :)

Amanda December 19, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Just wanted to let you know I made your “Holiday Soup” today and it is delicious!! Didn’t change a thing (just didn’t add the saffron), and I think this will be a regular in my cold-weather recipe rotation!! Thanks for a great recipe!

Nadine December 19, 2010 at 7:14 pm

You’re a much more gracious blogger than I would be….I think you were robbed of that title. Not to take ANYTHING away from Tiny Urban Kitchen, but, you were Reader’s Choice SO often that it doesn’t seem possible that you wouldn’t have won.

Regardless, I’m sure you have a whole lot of new readers because of it. Your hard work and creativity shines…or should I say glows?!

Stephie December 20, 2010 at 5:51 am

I agree, she was definitely robbed – I was sure she would win!

Heather December 19, 2010 at 8:16 pm

those pics look great! I LOVE egg nog. I know its awful for you but since it’s only once a year I just don’t care! the peppermint one looks so good!

One Healthy Apple December 19, 2010 at 8:26 pm

This looks gorgeous and delicious. I have never tried egg nog because I have an irrational fear of it, but this looks great!

Tania December 19, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Glad to see you’re taking a well deserved break. Enjoy your time off!!

AGS December 19, 2010 at 9:04 pm

So glad to hear you say you’re taking a short break from exercise. My experience is that a day or two after some extreme mental/physical effort, the body/mind/spirit suddenly says “REST” — and it is good to listen. 2010 has been a good year. . . and I’ve enjoyed reading your adventures — I am already looking forward to 2011!!!

Wei-Wei December 19, 2010 at 10:53 pm

I’ve never had eggnog before, but I’ve always wanted to try it!

carlee December 20, 2010 at 2:14 am

That looks freaking amazing!!!!!!!!
I’ve never had egg nog before but that looks so fresh and healthy!

retro sweets December 20, 2010 at 5:04 am

I’ll def have the peppermint version. Another great hug from me.. I hope you’ll have plenty of rest… :)

Cara Craves... December 20, 2010 at 5:23 am

Wowzers!
Words cannot even describe!

Jena December 20, 2010 at 7:14 am

I started reading your blog randomly at what happened to be the beginning of the PFB contest. I started voting near the end, maybe the 3rd last entry because I really wanted you to win, and truly thought you deserved to.
I’m not a vegan, or a vegetarian for that matter, but your posts are delicious and appealing to everyone. It doesn’t matter to me that your food doesn’t contain animal products, what brings me back day after day is the fact that the food is delicious, beautifully photographed, and showcased by a woman who clearly has stuck a balance between healthy eating and indulging in food she loves. The fact that you received so many reader’s choice awards show that clearly I am just one of the many people that feel that way. Kudos to you my friend. I really think you’re the winner, and coming so far while only cooking vegan shows what a real star you are. :)

Jena December 20, 2010 at 7:14 am

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010 at 8:17 am

Hi Jena,

Thanks so much for your positivity!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 20, 2010 at 8:32 am

Wow, this sounds like a really interesting (and tasty!) recipe. Good for you for listening to your body – I can only imagine how much energy PFB took out of you – you deserve a good rest girl!! Have a fabulous day. Oh, and I am rocking the green monsters hardcore – just know that someone will be shivering along with you!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 20, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I had a GM today and I shivered!

Rachel December 20, 2010 at 3:39 pm

My husband and I are hosting xmas at our house this year.
I’ll be sure to try out your recipe for all of our guests :-)

Lisa December 20, 2010 at 4:16 pm

That eggnog looks delicious! It’s my favorite holiday treat that I have.

Tara June 5, 2013 at 6:46 pm

Oh my gosh! I am new to your page and have tried several of your recipes, they are awesome! You certainly have a gift to come up with all these amazing recipes. But this!!!! I am lactose intolerant in a big way, and LOVE egg nogg especially rum and egg nogg. Unfortunately I just can’t have it even with lactose pills. I am going to be celebrating Christmas in June this Friday, I cannot wait to try this, I’m almost giddy right now :) I am a pescetarian but I am enjoying making vegan recipes more and more. You are making it very easy to make the switch.

Thanks Angela!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 6, 2013 at 5:48 pm

Thanks Tara, I hope you enjoy it! :)

taryn December 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Mmm, sounds delicious! I’d been hoping to find a dairy-free version of eggnog for the holidays.

You mentioned it doesn’t last long … could you put an estimated length of time on that? I’m the only one in the house that would be drinking it, so I’m wondering if it will last 24 hours or whether I should just try cutting it in half?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 24, 2013 at 6:30 pm

I’m not sure how long it will last…ours was only in the fridge for an hour or two. Sorry I can’t be of more help!

taryn December 24, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Who knows, maybe I’ll wind up taking all down myself in one night. It’s the holidays after all, right? Thank you!!

April May 13, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I absolutely love your blog and was searching google for vegan dessert smoothies and was so happy when your page came up at the top of the list! The avocado sounds very intriguing! Because I want this to be a healthy dessert I want to leave the bourbon out. Do you think I need to add another liquid in its place? Or not necessary? Thanks for so many wonderful recipes, love your cookbook too!

Julia December 6, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Hi Angela,
I was wondering if there was any way to make this recipe for just one person. Please let me know thank you.

Briana December 27, 2014 at 3:48 pm

I made this for Christmas this year as well as your naked bean cornbread cass, sweet potato casserole, smashed potatoes, peanut better balls, pumpkin pie squares, almond “tuna” salad, and the spring stuffing. I thought it was all brilliant!!! I am
Making your cashew cream soup tomorrow!

VC Glitch August 28, 2016 at 4:10 pm