Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

IMG 6311bbbb thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

Good morning!

Thanks for all your comments on yesterday’s post. I feel like a got a huge virtual bear hug and it made me all warm and fuzzy inside. Then I got a real hug when Eric came home from work last night!

I’ve been battling a tension headache since yesterday afternoon and I still could not fall asleep last night until 3am. I’m hoping this hit by a truck feeling passes soon because I have a lot of life to catch up on and a long to-do list waiting for me.

I’m going to be rocking the Green Monsters hard core this weekend to make sure I don’t get sick and of course, I will be resting. I haven’t had the energy to workout in a few days now and I think I will be taking today off from exercise until my body feels like its old self again. There is no sense in running myself into the ground when I am not feeling myself.

Exercise will always be waiting for me when my body feels back to normal!

I used to feel guilty for taking some time away from exercise, but I have realized over the past couple years that sometimes in life, we really just need a BREAK, especially during the holiday season.

I am a firm believer that our bodies tell us what we need to know and I think listening to them when they are not 100% is always a good thing.

Today, I am sharing my all-time favourite holiday drink…Egg Nog, Only there are no eggs or cream in it so it is technically Egg and Dairy free Nog. It contains some kick-butt ingredients like avocado, banana, and coconut milk that blend together to create a creamy and rich indulgent drink. This Vegan Nog is highly addictive and fairly sweet, so less is more in this case. Or if you are feeling down in the dumps, more is more.

It’s your call.

IMG 6283 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

IMG 6233 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

This is very easy to make in the blender and it tastes incredible! Of course it doesn’t taste exactly like classic egg nog, but it comes close enough that I don’t miss the old stuff at all.

IMG 6302 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

Don’t worry you can’t taste the avocado either!

Spiking it can be fun too…

20101120 IMG 1409 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

The bourbon is totally optional, but it tastes delicious either way!

IMG 6254 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

IMG 6315 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

Peppermint Nog

For the Peppermint Nog version, use the recipe above and simply add 1-2 tsp of pure peppermint extract and do not use the vanilla extract. You could also try using fresh mint leaves for a minty green kick and beautiful mint colour.

Garnish with a candy cane stick and crushed candy cane on top.

IMG 6321 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

I enjoyed both of them, but I think I prefer the Classic Vegan Nog over the peppermint version.

It would also be fun to try making chocolate nog, by adding some cocoa powder and maybe even carob powder! I’m sure that the recipe could be adapted many ways. I wonder what a Gingerbread Nog would taste like?

IMG 6306 thumb   Vegan Nog: Classic and Peppermint

I’m supposed to be checking some things off my to-do list right now, but all I really feel like is a hot bubble bath complete with Epsom salts, candles, vegan nog, and a book! I think I have my answer.

Have a great Saturday!

Faith @ lovelyascharged December 18, 2010

Mmmm! Spiked version, please ;) I hate egg nog because it’s so thick and goobery, but I think a vegan version would be less slimy and more soothing. Sounds fantastic! I’m with ya on the not 100% thing…I think I’m going to spend my day in bed with some movies and blogs as well…I think getting out and trying to do anything too productive will just wear me out more. Feel better!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

thanks, I hope u feel better soon!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 18, 2010

I feel like I’m the only person in the blogosphere who doesn’t like eggnogg, but the description of the vegan version sounds amazing!! Especially the peppermint…

Jackie @ Baking Charms December 18, 2010

I’ve never really had an interest in drinking eggnog before, but the peppermint version may change my mind!

Congrats on making it to the finals in PFB… we were rootin’ for you :D

vegantickles December 18, 2010

You always come up with the most innovative recipes. LOVE YOUR SITE. I’m gonna make your PROTEIN GODDESS BOWL today. Hope mine’s looks as good as yours!

Lauren Guerrieri December 18, 2010

Hey Angela,
That looks awesome! It sounds like you need to relax this weekend and some TLC – I hope you feel better!

Tiffany @ Conor & Bella December 18, 2010

I never liked real egg nog, but I tried Rice Nog at Whole Foods and it was GOOD! They served it warm, too, but I guess this recipe needs to be cold.

My fave holiday drink is Puerto Rican coquito, which can be made with eggs, but I’ve only had it without. My husband’s made it using coconut cream, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, rum…I might be missing something but it’s super delicious and easy to veganize!

Tamara December 18, 2010

I’ve never tried real eggnog, actually. Just the thought of raw eggs in my drink makes me squirm. I’ve thought about trying the Silk “Nog” at the grocery store now, but yours looks a lot more substantial. Now I just have to find six people to share it with :p

sarah December 18, 2010

thanks for the wonderful idea, I will use that for xmas staff lunch!!

Roanne December 18, 2010

This looks yummy! I love how you veganize everything! I commented on one of you’re earlier posts but I”m not sure if you got it, anyway I was wondering what kind of processor you use. I’ve been using my blender for most things and I’m worried it’s going to burn out ( it doesn’t like to chop bananas or dates).

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

I have a Kitchenaid 10 or 12 cup…it is decent, but not always great at processing depending on what it is. I havent found a processor that im in love with yet.

Roanne December 18, 2010

Thanks Angela, Kitchenaid is one of the few that I googled and it got pretty good reviews. Can’t wait to get it..I’m sure the blender will be happy too! :)

Bridget December 18, 2010

I love eggnog and this look so good! Thank you for sharing the recipe with us Ange :) Happy holidays!!!

Healthy Chocoholic December 18, 2010

Looks tasty!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Beth December 18, 2010

Gosh – I really need to stop looking at your recipes before I’ve eaten breakfast. SO yum!!

Amber K December 18, 2010

I’m so bummed that every vegan egg nog recipe I’ve found has coconut in it. Ugh, no egg nog for me!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty December 18, 2010

what about just using almond milk? It might not be as thick!!

Amber K December 18, 2010

Hmm, hadn’t thought of that! It has been in every single vegan nog recipe I’ve seen, so I figured it was essential. But I could totally play around with it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

Thats a great suggestion…it wouldnt be as thick, but you could use more frozen avocado to sub for the coconut milk’s thickness

Annie@stronghealthyfit December 18, 2010

Oh my goodness. I’m going to try to make some version of this- I’ve been wanting to try making homemade eggnog but just haven’t done it bc I don’t like the idea of raw eggs in my drink! Looks delicious :-)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA December 18, 2010

I haven’t had “normal” eggnog since I was a kid because it’s sooo bad for you but I tried Silk Nog last year and thought it was quite tasty. Your recipe looks great!

Robyn December 18, 2010

Looks delicious, but I’m still holding my breath for some vegan sugar cookies! I make vegan sugar cookies every year as gifts, but the recipe I use, while delicious, uses tofutti cream cheese which I am not a fan of due to the trans fat in it. I’m antsy to see what you come up with and change up my tradition to a healthier recipe!

Jaime December 19, 2010

I was really put off by the trans fat in tofutti cream cheese as well, but then I found out that they make a plain cream cheese and a sour cream that are made with non-hydrogenated oil, therefore are trans fat free :) Yay!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 18, 2010

I’ve never had eggnog before but I once tried putting avocados and banana in a smoothie and the result was super creamy :) I think I’ll have to make a gingerbread version of this :) Thanks!

Nicole (Picky Nicky) December 18, 2010

Oh and as I’m writing this I’m totally eating homemade hummus with a spoon and it made me think of you :P

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

lol love it

Heather (Heather's Dish) December 18, 2010

classic nog is the best…and i love that i can feel better about drinking this too…well, more so than the original version :)

Cynthia (It All Changes) December 18, 2010

Sounds like I finally have something to do with the frozen avocado and bananas in my freezer :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please December 18, 2010

I’ve never been a huge fan of eggnog so this vegan version sounds so much more appealing! Especially the peppermint variety!

Carolyn @Eat Well. Live Well. Be Well. December 18, 2010

Looks delicious.

I find whipping up a frozen banana, soy milk, and some pumpkin pie seasoning puts me in the “not quite egg nog, but still a festive holiday drink” mood.

Sommer J December 18, 2010

This sounds better than the original! Hope you get well soon :)

Maryea @ Happy Healthy Mama December 18, 2010

What a creative recipe. I don’t love classic nog but I think I would love this!

Averie (LoveVeggiesandYoga) December 18, 2010

Looks delish, Angela! Both versions! avocado, banana, and coconut milk are all fabulous…and the less is more vs. more is more. I would say, more is more, for sure :) Cross between smoothies and nog = ring ring winner winner!

But this: “1/4 cup-1/2 cup Bourbon (optional), to taste”

I would hardly call the bouron ‘optional’…haha! Tis the season to indulge, well, for me it is :)

Stay warm, my friend!

Katy (The Singing Runner) December 18, 2010

Mmmmmm I’ll have to try this. ;)

Amy K. @ Onehealthypeanut December 18, 2010

Those look so thick and tasty! I love the gingerbread idea!!

Winnie December 18, 2010

This sounds absolutely amazing! I’ve made a similar drink before but your’s sounds better.
Want you to know that your work for PFB was really beautiful- loved all the posts you did- and I’ll continue to follow your blog. I am not vegan, but I’m now a fan nontheless ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

Thanks Winnie!

Emma (Sweet Tooth Runner) December 18, 2010

Wow vegan eggnog! That peppermint one looks especially good! You are so creative Angela! :)

Alaina December 18, 2010

Sounds like a wonderful way to unwide.

I’ve never been a huge nog fan, but peppermint might be the way to go :-)

Vanessa December 18, 2010

Was never a huge eggnog drinker.. Usually only drank it if it was spiked ;-) How convenient that I have all of these ingredients on hand!! Looks deeelish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

hope u enjoy it!

Amy December 18, 2010

This looks delicious, can’t wait to try it! I absolutley love your blog and am dieing to try your glow bars but i am allergic to peanuts! Have you ever considered making one without peanut butter? Also I always see you eating all different types of nut butters, have you ever had sun butter? It’s made with sunflower seeds! Thank you for your blog you are a total inspiration.

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 18, 2010

I have thought about it, but I decided that I cant guarantee that any bars might not have peanuts in it since some of my ingredients are processed in facilities with peanuts and I also have them around all the time. It wouldnt be worth the risk unfortunately, Im sorry you can’t try them!

I have had sunbutter and it is GREAT!!

Ashley (Taste for Healthy) December 18, 2010

Mmmmmmm… I can’t wait to try these!! And avocado as an ingredient? I never would have thought of that. :) Enjoy your relaxing Saturday afternoon… and take care of yourself! The cold and rainy weather has me anticipating a hot epson salt bath with candles too. :)

Danielle December 18, 2010

Yuck! I hate egg nog. But, if my experience with Vegan Egg Nog is anything like that with the veganized versions of lasagna and burgers, I’m sure I’ll love this recipe. Thanks Ang! ;)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace December 18, 2010

Yummy Angela, I absolutely love anything peppermint and my all time favorite ice cream this time of year is peppermint ice cream. This nog sounds so good!

ezzie December 18, 2010

Uh, YUM! The avocados sitting in my fridge is calling my name now.

Traci(faithfulfoodiefashionista) December 18, 2010

This looks so good and I would glady drink this Vegan Nog. I have never been a fan of egg nog because just the thought of eggs make me kind of gag. This nog I could do. I will be trying this very soon :)

britt December 18, 2010

mmmmm! that looks so creamy and thick and yummy! i love eggnog but can only drink a tiny bit at a time. will definitely try this out soon!

Danielle December 18, 2010

Crushed spices and/or candy bits add such a nice layer of texture to creamy drinks!

Camille December 18, 2010

So pretty! I have actually never had egg nog (shock!). I think this would be a perfect way to try it :)

Page 1 of 212»