Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

‘There are two types of people: Those who bake their own crackers and those who do not.’

20101019IMG 7662 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

I read that quote the other night and it made me chuckle! And then I thought, ‘Pfffft…Cracker snob.’ as I reached into my box of Mary’s Crackers. ;)

However, I want to be that person who makes her own crackers (and bread!), but sadly, my grocery receipts tell me I am not…and have not been for months and months.

Back in the day, I used to make my own crackers in an effort to cut back on our grocery bill.

20101019IMG 7659 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

I will do whatever it takes to find that girl inside of me. I know she is hiding in there somewhere. Probably buried under a heap of flour and jam somewhere.

20101019IMG 7657 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

When you think about it, crackers are basically glorified bits of baked flour and are quite cheap to make. The best part is you can dress them any way you like them. Rustic, classy, sweet, fancy pants, crunchy, fru-fru, salty, simple, savoury, all-dressed.

20101019IMG 7694 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Any Way You Want ‘Em Crackers

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar, not packed
  • Herbs of your choice: I used a couple pinches each of basil, parsley, thyme, Italian seasoning
  • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (probably optional, but gives them a bit of cheesy flavour)
  • 1/4 cup ground flax
  • 1/4 cup whole flax seeds
  • 2 tbsp sesame seeds
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, extra virgin
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 4 tbsp Earth Balance, melted (with 2 tbsp pumpkin, optional), for spreading onto cracker before baking
  • Pepita seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds, salt, for garnish

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Line two baking sheets with parchment or a non-stick mat. In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients very well (flours, baking powder, salt, brown sugar, herbs of your choice, nutritional yeast, ground flax, flax seeds, sesame seeds). In a small bowl mix the almond milk, minced garlic, and olive oil. Dump this mixture into the dry mixture and stir well. Now grab your hands and mix the dough well until a ball forms. Once you have a nice ball, break apart into two balls and set one aside. Flour a surface and roll the ball a bit to get it a bit covered in flour. Now roll out the dough into a large rectangle. Gently lift and place onto baking sheet. Trim sides where necessary, With a pastry roller or butter knife, cut the shape of crackers you desire. You may also use cookie cutters. With a pastry brush take your melted Earth Balance/butter and spread onto cracker. If you want to make a pumpkin twist, add in pumpkin and spread on cracker (see above and below). Sprinkle with desired seeds and salt and then roll the seeds into the crackers with a pastry roller so they will bake into the cracker and not fall off as much. Bake for about 25-28 minutes at 350F. The crackers around the edge will cook faster so you can rotate them if desired, but I didn’t bother. Crackers will firm up once cooling out of the oven.

The first batch I made last night was a flop. Too much flour and not enough moisture. I also didn’t add herbs so they were bland. This second batch turned out quite tasty.

Form your dough into a ball.

20101019IMG 7614 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Split into two balls and roll out into rectangles!

20101019IMG 7620 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Or something that you pretend looks like a rectangle.

20101019IMG 7623 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Carefully place onto baking sheet and trim sides so you can pretend you made a rectangle and then pat yourself on the back.

20101019IMG 7628 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

20101019IMG 7633 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Why am I so obsessed with pastry gadgets? Is it because they are tiny and doll-like and I miss my Barbies?

20101019IMG 7640 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

I like using the scalloped edge for a rustic look.

20101019IMG 7642 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Any size you want!

20101019IMG 7645 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Brush with melted Earth Balance or butter. This step is KEY. I made the crackers without it, and they just weren’t as delicious. I will never make them any other way from now on. It gives them that melt in your mouth taste.

20101019IMG 7648 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Sprinkle a generous amount of salt.

20101019IMG 7653 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Add on your seeds of choice!

20101019IMG 7656 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

I had a problem with my first batch. The seeds didn’t stick and fell right off. For the second batch, I pressed the seeds into the dough and then I used my pastry roller and rolled over the seeds to press them in. This seemed to work better.

20101019IMG 7660 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Then all hell broke loose.

20101019IMG 7663 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

I thought about how cute it would be to make Eric heart-shaped crackers and then I realized he would probably laugh at me and dip them in chocolate.

20101019IMG 7664 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

See that snowflake in the bottom right corner? That’s what I’m talking about.

20101019IMG 7668 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Lots of salt please. The snowflake needs snow.

20101019IMG 7673 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Now this is when the fun really got out of control. I came up with a pumpkin glaze.

20101019IMG 7675 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

Check out the huge BBQ Baster brush. I stole it from Eric. For some reason I cannot find my pastry brush anywhere! I think the dishwasher ate it.

I mixed 2 tbsp of melted Earth Balance with 1 tbsp of canned pumpkin + pinch or two of cinnamon and magic happened.

PUMPKIN CRACKERS.

20101019IMG 7694 thumb1   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

They weren’t overly pumpkin-y tasting, but when I sprinkled some with cinnamon (far right) before baking the flavour really came out. I wonder if next time I could mix some pureed pumpkin right into the dough? Or make pumpkin rosemary crackers…

When I used to make crackers, I found that they tasted the best after sitting for about a day. I am guessing that these will be the same too. They are good right out of the oven, but I find they need to settle a bit first.

20101019IMG 7682 thumb   Any Way You Like ‘Em Crackers

After I finished making these crackers, I started to think about my next attempt. Do you think peanut butter mixed into the dough would work somehow? Peanut Butter flavoured crackers. Imagine them dipped into apricot-fig jam. Delish. Or even salt & vinegar crackers might be yummy.

Have you ever made crackers? What flavours do you like?

Teresa @ Teresa Tastes & Travels October 19, 2010

Oh, they look amazing! You make it look so easy, too! Don’t think I could ever make those. But the little hearts are so adorable! Yum!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 19, 2010

i love crackers! i actually did some sharp cheddar ones the other day…not so much vegan, but pretty stinking delicious!

Alli October 19, 2010

What a fantastic idea- to be honest I never even considered making my own crackers, but as usual you have inspired another accomplishment for me to undertake! Thanks!

Julie Grice October 19, 2010

I make my own graham crackers, but now I want to make my own crackers, too!

Amanda (Eating Up) October 19, 2010

You make things look so easy! I get so ambitious after reading your recipe posts!

Lisa October 19, 2010

Interesting! I’ve never even thought about making my own crackers before. Looks fairly simple!

Allison @ Food for Healing October 19, 2010

oooh homemade crackers would be awesome! my list of things to cook/bake is just getting longer and longer,and i have no time. but ive gotta work it somehow, those look delicious

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 19, 2010

I just made my first attempt last week – easy whole wheat cheesy crackers! They were so good! Never buying ‘em again!

Kristina @ spabettie October 19, 2010

yours are SO pretty!! I love to make crackers …

your barbie comment… made me think… ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 19, 2010

I love making my own crackers – lately I have not made any either. And when I ran out of Mary’s Gone Crackers I swore I would not buy any and would make some crackers instead.

That as like 3 weeks ago. Hmmm. I have been without crackers for a long time. Must remedy this!

I like seed crackers like you – I also particularly like the combination of lots of nutritional yeast (ie more like 1/2 a cup per batch of crackers) with paprika.

lisasfoods October 19, 2010

I’ve longingly looked at the cracker recipes in my King Arthur Flour baking cookbook, and have a rolling pin for just that reason.

But I’m not much of a baker, so I haven’t gotten around to it yet. They seem like a great winter project.

Camille October 19, 2010

I have never made crackers but always wanted to. These have given me a renewed desire to get baking!

Dorry October 19, 2010

Haven’t ever made my own but these look delicious. I love seedy/nutty crackers so making my own would be a lot of fun…like decorating cookies. :)

AGS October 19, 2010

These would make really fun gifts at Christmas, as opposed to the usual cookies (not, of course, that I have anything against cookies). The closest I’ve come to crackers, is making croutons, bagel chips, and pita chips (all on account of said items going a bit stale).

Ana October 19, 2010

Awesome angela!
I am one who bakes her own crackers, and I love doing that as I love using my own seeds in them too.
This is the recipe I like to use: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/seedy-crisps-recipe/index.html
However, I make mine with sesame and flax seeds (instead of poppy seeds). Quite similar to your recipe.
I like the idea of the pumpkin glaze, may try this next time I make some crackers!!
I will try your recipe, the crackers look amazing!!
Ana

Lauren October 19, 2010

SNOWFLAKE!!! Is it wrong that I’ve already begun listening to Christmas music?! Don’t answer that ;)

Kath October 19, 2010

GORG!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 19, 2010

my oh my – what a great idea!!!!

Shanna October 19, 2010

BBQ would be awesome

So would a chive cheddar

Or an Asiago Thyme!

Kelly October 19, 2010

Salt and Vinegar crackers…oh my…please make those!

Kathryn October 19, 2010

second

Cindy Robinson October 20, 2010

Third! :)

Nicole Rouillon June 26, 2012

Fourth! YUM

Hope October 19, 2010

Oh these look so good!! I attempted something similar but lost all my seeds off the top so I will need to try again and hammer them in lol
Heart shaped crackers are so cute! Although my hubby would probably just shove them in his mouth and not even notice!!

Kelly October 19, 2010

So funny – I’ve been thinking all day about some sort of pumpkin-y to make for an Oktoberfest-themed cocktail/beer night, and as soon as I saw your post title, I thought, “CRACKERS!!!” and then, two seconds later, “…PUMPKIN CRACKERS!!!” Then I continued reading and saw that you’d thought of the same thing! I might try making half a batch with pumpkin included in the dough… I’ll let you know how it turns out. :) Now I’m thinking of some sort of dip to make… hmm…!

Kelly October 19, 2010

Oops… I meant “pumkin-y snack.” Heh.

Kelly October 19, 2010

AND I SPELLED PUMPKIN WRONG. Ahhh!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 19, 2010

Crackers seem so daunting to make and yet…they’re crackers!! I feel like cookies are more difficult! Thanks for sharing your how-to!

Lizzie October 19, 2010

I have made crackers – yours!! Your gluten-free and vegan chewy crackers .. . and they were SO good! I’m excited to try these ones. They looks os healthy and yummy. Wholegrain, seedy crackers are so much better than plain white :)

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 19, 2010

Those look amazing! I’ve been wanting to try making crackers for so long- you are inspiring me to actually do it. And I think PB would work really well :-)
Do you have specific websites to recommend for buying nuts/seeds in bulk?

Cynthia October 19, 2010

Those crackers look awesome. I have never made my own crackers before, but you make it seem so easy!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 19, 2010

How pretty are these crackers! I never made my own but it looks really fun to try. Especially when you can be so versatile with the toppings and shapes.

iga@thedelishdish October 19, 2010

wow these look so professional! i’ve never attempted crackers, but i love spicy peppery ones. i also really like the crispy flat pretzel thin ones!

Laura October 19, 2010

Ha! Though these are beautiful, no I do not plan to make them. Bread yes, crackers no. Honestly, I just don’t think I eat that many crackers! Mind you, if I did, they’d be yours!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 19, 2010

Those look really yummy, you’ll have to concoct a special dip for them! I have made cheddar crackers several times before, but not since I’ve started cutting dairy out of my diet. I’d like to figure out how to veganize them, maybe with nutritional yeast?

Kathryn October 19, 2010

I love the idea of Eric dipping his crackers in chocolate. I think that you should get him a chocolate fountain for christmas, then he can dip everything in chocolate quite quickly.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2010

haha love that idea!!!!!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 19, 2010

I’m not a big cracker eater — but I’ve never made them myself!

I love the cookie cutter ones!

Allison October 19, 2010

I am really not a fan of crackers out of the box but i am pretty positive i could eat an entire batch of these all by myself and beg for more!!!!!! I love all the different toppings you used and that snowflake is adorable!!

Lindsey October 19, 2010

Angela! THIS IS VERY SERIOUS…..

My vitamix is arriving tomorrow. What should be in its inaugural spin?

I trust your advice.

Sincerely,
Lindsey

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 19, 2010
Moni'sMeals October 19, 2010

No way, those are some crackers! You have inspired me to make my own crackers (the type that does not), I have Never done it suprisingly. Thanks for getting me to think outside the box. And I mean I am a baker too. ;)

Wei-Wei October 19, 2010

I’ve made crackers before, but only of the sesame variety. I’ve never thought about brushing them with butter – last time I brushed them with an egg wash! I’m thinking about making crackers again… cutting them into long, thin shapes would be really cute for a present. :D

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 19, 2010

I made your cracker recipe the first time you posted it! The crackers were delish! They made a great soup topping.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 19, 2010

I love how versatile these are..that way nobody goes unhappy! I made my first crackers (other than graham) just the other day and I’ll never go back to the store bought things.

christina cadden October 19, 2010

mmm, they look so good!

KaraHadley October 19, 2010

O’m’goodness, these look so wonderfully simple and perfect! I will be making these. Maybe making my own crackers will also help me eat fewer.

Page 1 of 212»