Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Hi folks, this poet is back for Challenge number three!

For this, we were asked to host a luxury dinner party,

20101002-IMG_4199

It should have much style and be personal too,

20101002-IMG_4054

So here’s what I did to express myself to you…

20101002-IMG_4069

I present to you our first ever Vegan Thanksgiving,

We would eat delicious food but nothing once living,

20101002-IMG_4125

Wait!

Don’t leave, I promise this meal is delicious!

I have some organic wine to persuade you (and it’s totally nutritious).

20101002-IMG_4212

I’d love for you to join us, come wine and dine,

20101002-IMG_8865

Us adults and the kids, we had a delicious time!

(However, if I said there were leftovers I’d be lying…)

You see, the word Vegan often makes people cringe in fear,

20100916-IMG_2083

But I’m here to show you Vegan can be tasty and spread lots of cheer!

20101001-IMG_3948

My challenge to you is to create new and fun traditions,

Print off this guide should you wish, to help you on your mission.

[Yes, I typed up 16 recipes as a fun little addition]

20101001-IMG_3909

But do as I say, not exactly as I do,

It wouldn’t be my dinner party without a funny flop or two…

20101003-IMG_8886

[Hopefully incinerated pecans won’t happen to you…]

All week I have been testing and experimenting so,

You can follow this plan and your own meal will glow.

20101002-IMG_4265

So here is what I served, starting with the delicious wine,

A couple glasses down the hatch and you will really shine.

20101002-IMG_4267

20101003-IMG_8899

Throw on some high heels and a cute little frock,

Soon your man will want to help you around the clock. ;)

20101002-IMG_4194

Follow the wine with Eggplant Toasts and Lemon Cashew Cheese,

A fun twist on traditional Bruschetta, they are the bees knees.

20101002-IMG_8800

20101002-IMG_4129

Now for the Cranberry, Pear, and Candied Pecans on Greens,

Always start off light to feel like a Queen.

20101002-IMG_4241

To round it out, some Roasted Nuts in a Rosemary Glaze,

Oh boy did these nuts incite quite the praise.

20100930-IMG_3780

As you can see the appetizers were light,

To make sure you save room for the main course delight…

20101002-IMG_4113-2

20101002-IMG_8816

First up, ‘Frank Approved’ Glazed Walnut Loaf and Gravy for our roast,

If you’re wondering about Frank you’ll find out at the end of this post!

20101002-IMG_8826

Nope, This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole,

20101002-IMG_4262

But this dish was at the top of my dinner party poll!

Now for the High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a secret twist,

20100908IMG_2684_thumb

Even my bean hating husband just could not resist.

20101002-IMG_8876

Homemade Fluffy White Dinner Rolls with ‘butter’,

20101002-IMG_4078

These rolls made my guest’s hearts go all a flutter.

20100929-IMG_3649

Hmm what’s missing, oh that’s right delicious veggies on the side!

20101002-IMG_4026

Olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon had our guests enjoying Brussels with pride.

20101002-IMG_4247

And last but not least these beautiful, yet bitter berries…

20100930-IMG_3679

Were made into a sauce with a visit from the maple syrup fairy.

20100930-IMG_3711

Now for the grand finale, loosen your belt a notch or three,

I actually prefer to wear an empire waist and set my food baby free.

20101002-IMG_8875

For dessert, Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream,

20101001-IMG_3957

This spicy luscious frosting made everyone beam.

And now I present, the smashing hit of the night…

20101002-IMG_3991  20101002-IMG_4025

Chocolate brownie,

20101002-IMG_4091

Pumpkin Pie,

20101002-IMG_4096

And pecan crunch delight.

20101002-IMG_4102

With silence and smiles, we devoured every last bite!

20101002-IMG_8854

Now before I go, I have a few secrets to share,

On How to Host a Thanksgiving Dinner Party with Flare.

20101002-IMG_4047

No need to break your budget just a few dollars will do,

Hit up the Dollarstore for placemats, decorations, baskets, and a stick of glue!

20101002-IMG_4075

20101002-IMG_4082 20101002-IMG_3996

Next, the grocery store for gourds, pumpkins, and some fruit,

20101002-IMG_4115

Just look at those place settings, they were easy and disgustingly cute!

20101002-IMG_4056

Get some inspiration from food magazines and books,

20101001-IMG_3972-2 20101001-IMG_3969

Gather your clippings and recipes then set off to COOK!

20100930-IMG_3733

Last but not least, my favourite secret to share…

20101002-IMG_4041

Surprise your guests with take-home baskets of delicious vegan fare!

Don’t forget to click this link for the recipes all in one place,

Now you can plan ahead at your very own pace.

This now concludes our First Annual Vegan Thanksgiving,

Frank enjoyed it too and will happily go on living… ;)

20101002-IMG_4015

If you enjoyed this post, please consider showing your support by voting for me in the Food Blog Challenge (you click the heart). Thank you for your support! :)

Page 6 of 6« First...«23456
Sarah November 22, 2015

HI Angela !!

I stumbled upon the brownie pumpkin pie recipe on pinterest and I am so excited to make it for thanksgiving! I was just wondering, do I have to make it and bake it right away? Could I prepare, freeze, and then bake it the night before or the day of?

Thank you so much for this awesome recipe!!

Nina November 27, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Brownie was a big hit! Even for my daughter who does not like canned pumpkin :) Thanks!

Shauna October 1, 2014

Can I make the topping for the pie without the pecans? Not for me but my brother is allergic to nuts :(

Elena August 20, 2014

Hi Angela!
What temperature and for how long did you cook brussels sprouts, white turnips and carrots? I see the ingredients, but no directions for some reason…Thank you! Everything looks so yummy, can not wait to taste!:)

Heidi November 21, 2013

You are absolutely amazing!! This will be my family’s first vegan Thanksgiving and I can’t wait to try out all these fabulous recipes and use my in laws as guinea pigs!! LOL. Can’t wait!

Veggie Kate September 5, 2012

I love it!! I just may have to see which of these items I can make out here on the little island of Saipan…. soooo excited to try to start spreading vegan ideas to people! It’s a meat-and-rice culture, and I am thrilled if I get to help people move away from that, at least a little bit! This looks fun and delicious!!

Amanda July 2, 2012

That all looks so good! Do you have the recipe for the dinner rolls? I can’t seem to find it!

Erin October 18, 2010

Angela, quick question for you! I am going to make the sweet potato casserole this weekend and in your recipe it doesn’t call for milk (or almond milk of course, since its vegan) but in the directions section you say to add the milk. How much should I add?

Sorry for the basic question, but I’m cooking for 15 people and I’m quite the novice cooker, and recently converted from vegetarian to vegan so I am experimenting quite a bit! I would normally just ‘experiment’ if it weren’t for the poor people who are becoming my guinea pigs :)

Valerie October 13, 2010

I just wanted to pipe in to thank you for this amazing post and for putting your recipes in a PDF file for us to use! I was so inspired I invited my family over for a thanksgiving meal – we ended up serving 16 people! We used some of your recipes and some of our own that we’ve used before – the biggest hits out of yours were for sure the Gingerbread with icing and Pumpkin Brownie. I LOVED the gingerbread recipe especially and plan on making it every year for Christmas. We used our own tried and true stuffing recipe (from a friend), gravy recipe (the Golden Gravy from Real Food Daily cookbook), experimented with the lentil, mushroom, wild rice timbales from Fat Free Vegan, and also made the Green Bean casserole from the Fat Free Vegan blog. The meal turned out extremely gourmet and delicious and people were very impressed! It was a very happy blogger-inspired thanksgiving. Anyway, thank you so much for all your continuing inspiration! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2010

So glad to hear this Valerie!

Violetta Maria Dima October 12, 2010

OMG I am soo excited and proud, all thanks to you and your fabulous recipies :-) Ok so yesterday was thanksgiving and we all get together at my moms house and have supper. This year I brought a regular apple pie and your pumpkin pie brownie. Now I have a large romanian family that thinks it is unnatural not to eat at the very least eggs, milk, and cheese. And every time I had ever brought something vegan in the past no one really ate it (hence the apple pie). But this year it was the exact opposite. No one touched the apple pie and the whole pumpkin brownie was devoured with in minutes and followed with compliments on how it was the best “pumpkin pie” ever, and questions for the recpie. So thanks :-) helping me show my family that there is delicious cruelty free food out there. Mabie next year I can covince them to have a all vegan dinner… ( probably not but ill try lol)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 13, 2010

Great news!!

Tamara October 8, 2010

Everything looks incredible! Thanks so much for creating the menu/recipes PDF!

Natalie October 6, 2010

love your menu, your table, AND your apron. voted for you! hope we both move forward. :)

Caitlin October 6, 2010

Absolutely amazing, Angela!

You definitely are deserving of my vote for this round of the contest!!

Felicia October 6, 2010

This is amazing! I love your blog, you are so beautiful and talented!

Casey Angelova October 6, 2010

For a vegan meal it looks very appetizing. My only issue is that if there is no turkey, how can use tryptophan (cause of “turkey coma”) as an excuses to get out of doing dishes! Great post! You have my vote!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 6, 2010

haha how about pumpkin pie brownie coma???

Lauren October 5, 2010

This post is absolutely wonderful!! I’m so impressed by your rhyming skills. I’m so excited for Thanksgiving now and I hope I can fit some of your dishes onto my family’s table :)