Rocket Fuel

Good morning!

This morning I tried a new hot beverage to start my day…hot lemon water! I’ve heard of people who swear by starting their day with hot lemon water as part of their morning ritual. I thought it sounded so Zen so I gave it a try.

20100916IMG 3144 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Unfortunately, I was the anti-thesis of Zen this morning. I chugged my lemon water as I flustered about packing up my airplane goodies. *shrugs. ;) I think I was also holding my breath.

It was still delicious though and I think I might try it again!

Speaking of airplane food, a vegan on a 9 hour flight can never have too much. ;)

Here we go…I covered all the food groups!

20100916IMG 3168 thumb   Rocket Fuel

A Gala apple and a sample of Artisana Cacao Bliss:

20100916IMG 3170 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Cashews from the Healthy Living Summit swag bag!

20100916IMG 3175 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Carrots to keep my mouth busy…

20100916IMG 3176 thumb   Rocket Fuel

and high-protein Summer De-lite Chickpea Salad (without onions this time)

20100916IMG 3179 thumb   Rocket Fuel

And finally an Awake Glo Bar to wake me up when we arrive in Paris at 9am!

20100916IMG 3177 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Brought one for my mom and sis too.

It is a red-eye flight, so I’m hoping I will sleep through a lot of it (wishful thinking!).

Last night Eric picked up the CSA and he said, ‘Sooooo…I was thinking about making you a farewell green monster tomorrow morning…’

20100915IMG 3131 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Nothing good can come of this. Trust me.

I don’t know what was in this and I think it is better that way. Also note that it is a brown monster. I drank it like a champ, smiled, and said thank you. Let’s just hope there is no banana peel in it this time (remember when he did that!?).

I also snuck in a run, something I haven’t done since last week! Life got a bit crazy on me and I was craving more yoga than anything else, but finally my body craved a good, solid run.

The run:

• Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 34:31 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:37
  • Mile Splits: 8:47, 8:38, 8:38, 8:24

I’m not sure how long Eric’s Brown Monster will told me over, so I have this Peach-infused VOO prepared just in case!

20100916IMG 3183 thumb   Rocket Fuel

Feelin’ Peachy Vegan Overnight Oats

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1 peach, chopped
  • 1 tbsp pure maple syrup

Directions: Mix all ingredients except the syrup in a bowl and place in fridge for at least 1-2 hours. Stir and serve with maple syrup.

I’m off to tie up some loose ends, squeeze Eric and Sketchie, and get ready to head to the airport later this afternoon. My mom and sister Kristi are flying into the Toronto airport where I will meet up with them before we fly to Paris. I can’t believe I get to see them in just 9 hours! It has been so long since I have seen them.

I will be blogging while I am away and will probably have my first post up sometime tomorrow. I can’t wait to take you with me on this journey! ;)

Au Revoir!

Little Bookworm September 16, 2010

Hope you have a great flight Angela, and I love the sound of those overnight oats! :)

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 16, 2010

Good call on all those plane snacks – I had a miserable time going to Chicago from the UK with hardly any vegan food! Lesson learned :P
Have a safe flight!

Lynn @ The Next Chapter September 16, 2010

Have a great trip, can’t wait to see all your Paris pics! :)

Veronique @ Hooked on Health September 16, 2010

Have an awesome trip and flight!! I am so jealous!
My mom just left for Paris a couple days ago and I am just dreaming of hopping on a random flight and joining her hehe.
Good call on the plane snacks…. They never have the greatest choices on those flights, especially via economy class. I unfortunately cannot afford the luxury of first class, but i hear they actually have good, real food with options, (health options!). Makes us other travellers feel not good enough for good food :(. Buggers lol.

P.S. your VOOs looks amazing, I love peaches and now is a good time to eat them as they are almost out of season! gasp!

Christine September 16, 2010

I traveled on AirFrance a few years ago and was able to snag a first class meal while flying economy. I just mentioned that I don’t eat meat and they let me have the veg option from first class!

*shrug* Maybe it was because I am a female (the flight attendant was a young man) but I’d like to think it was just because I asked politely and didn’t complain about my poor options in coach.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 16, 2010

Ahh, so jealous that you will be in Paris shortly…easily one of my favorite places in the world! Lovin’ all the snacks you packed…and Eric is such a good hubby for attempting the green monster…even if it was less than perfect! :) Oh and those VOO look divine!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 16, 2010

I am so excited to read about your journey to Paris!

Emily September 16, 2010

Ahh soooo exciting that you are leaving today!!! What a wonderful thing to journey to Europe with the women in your life that you love :) Your snack pack looks awesome, looks like you’ve covered all of your bases. Have a safe and wonderful trip, can’t wait to live vicariously through your adventure!!!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope September 16, 2010

So excited to read about your trip to Paris!!
Do you think that when you’re gone, Eric is going have a party and cook lots and lots of steaks and drink coke? ;)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2010

haha steak likely, coke not very likely (he said he couldnt bring himself to drink any at all anymore- shocking I know)

Kate September 16, 2010

Have a wonderful flight and time in Paris! I’m so jealous – it’s my favorite city in the world! :) I’m excited for you and the girls to see the beautiful sights. Have fun!

Tina September 16, 2010

I can’t believe you are already leaving!!! Have so much fun and I cannot wait to hear about it all. :)

Andrea September 16, 2010

Have a safe trip! So exciting :)

Kelly September 16, 2010

Bonne vacances! I just recently went on a trip to Europe (Paris included) so I am excited to see all the pics of things I saw myself not too long ago! Safe flight!

Lauren September 16, 2010

Hi Angela,

I made the Lentil Walnut Burgers last night and boy they are amazing! I was in love with the batter but just a little disappointed with the final product. They were still amazing, but slightly dry and a less flavorful after cooking. Did you have that problem or any suggestions? Maybe next time I’ll add more of the spices to keep the flavors intense or just eat it as a dip right out of the food processor :)

Thanks!
Lauren

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 16, 2010

Hi Lauren,

Hmmm I didnt experience this, but I would try a couple things- cook for less time so as to not dry out (I think cooking time will vary depending on how big they are!) and 2) like you suggested, maybe add more spices!

Goodluck :) I just love those burgers

Christina September 16, 2010

I can’t wait to see all your Paris adventures!!!

Jenny September 16, 2010

all i saw was coffee in the glo bar and i was happy.

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini September 16, 2010

Boys!! *rollseyes*

I have been drinking hot lemon water every morning for years now. I swear by it, I have had far fewer colds and viruses since I started drinking it.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers September 16, 2010

Have a fabulous trip!! Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures!

cathy b. @ brightbakes.com September 16, 2010

Wishing you safe travels and I. Can’t. Wait. to hear about paris!! I’m baker of artisan breads.. so you can imagine how much I would LUV to get there!
whatever you do, scope out some boulangeries for me!!! If ya get the chance make sure to sample some Polaine!!

cathy b. @ brightbakes.com September 16, 2010

*Poilane :)

Therese September 16, 2010

Eek! Have the best time of your life girl! Can’t wait to hear all about it!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 16, 2010

I love all of your airplane snacks. I bring that much and I’m not vegan — I just don’t like to spend money at the airport!

Have a wonderful trip and I can’t wait to see your upcoming posts!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 16, 2010

Oh my how exciting!! Have a fun and safe trip! I can’t wait to see pictures!

And I’m a little scared of that brown monster. I would love to know what he put in it. lol

Stacy September 16, 2010

Hope you have a safe trip! Those snacks look yummy, you are definitely prepared :)
Wowza banana peel in a green monster, yumm :( Those Awake Glo Bar’s are delicious!! I had one from the HLS!! Can’t wait to read and see all the beautiful pic’s from your trip :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 16, 2010

Looks like some great plane snacks!!! You can never be too prepared, right? Can’t WAIT to read along with your journey!

Laura September 16, 2010

Wishing you a fantastique voyage!!!!

You’re going to love Paris!

kari September 16, 2010

Good Morning Angela, im so excited for you and you will love Paris. Make sure you go all the way up to the Eiffel Tower! Have a safe and awesome trip with your family.

Tiffany September 16, 2010

MMM… Oatmeal and peaches!

Charlie September 16, 2010

Have a good trip! Hope you’ll enjoy Paris!

P.S. This VOO looks amazing!

RhodeyGirl September 16, 2010

I drink hot water with lemon every morning.

I have been for about 10 years now since I learned that tea could stain my teeth! It is so delicious and refreshing and great for digestion!

Cherie September 16, 2010

Your snacks look great. In the future, I’ll need to remember to do this as I’ve always had to order the vegetarian meal on flights – which is better than the standard but definitely not as good as what you’ve packed. Have a great trip!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 16, 2010

Have a great flight. Packing the chickpeas in a baggie is brilliant, as security seems to frown upon containers now (even when they do not hold liquid) – at least in my experience.

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit September 16, 2010

aww what a genuinly nice gesture of Eric! I still vivedly remember the day I made my boyfriend a green monster haha. He refused but of course kept asking for more after he bit the bullet! He’s moving countries so we can finally live together, and I can’t wait to make him (us) one everyday!

I also very much liked your previous post, the tale of your blog. Mine has definitely helped with my recovery as well, come to think of it, its erection is perfectly aligned with my second ‘attempt’ at recovery, and I have been doing really really well ever since, to the point of being able to say I do not have an eating disorder anymore, merely it’s remnants that I am still working on getting rid of day by day.

x sabine

WendyF September 16, 2010

Brown monster..that made me laugh. I wondered if it had a chocolate-y taste, but I decided to delve no further :-)

Bon voyage et amuse toi bien !

Michelle @ Chasing Ambulances September 16, 2010

You’ll have a great time! I can’t wait to hear about all your Parisian adventures. :)

Dee September 16, 2010

Awww, how sweet that he wanted to make you a green monster! LOL @ the banana peel. Did he really do that? I chortled for that blurb.

I cannot wait to hear and read about your journey! I will be living vicariously through you on your trip to Paris! Enjoy!

Amanda@BustingThroughIt September 16, 2010

I hope you have a wonderful trip and I can’t wait to see your beautiful pictures!

lisasfoods September 16, 2010

I’ve heard that about lemon water too – it’s supposed to be really soothing, but can also be drying. Hot or warm water can be good for early morning drinking too, since it’s supposed to help with digestion.

Amber K September 16, 2010

Have a great time! I’m a newer reader…I can’t believe he actually made a green monster that had banana peel in it!

I start every morning with lemon water, although mine is never warm. I hate hot drinks! Ice cold for me!

Erin September 16, 2010

Love the glass tea cup — that’s exactly what they use to serve tea in Korea and I always thought they were so adorable.

Wei-Wei September 16, 2010

Have a safe flight! Man, I am jealous. Can’t wait to read your Paris posts!!!

Alaina @ The Jogging Concierge September 16, 2010

Ooh, I loved Paris. Have a great time!!

Page 1 of 41234»