Flower Envy

Good morning!

I am happy to see there are a lot of NCIS fans out there. ;)

I have been a busy bee this morning trying to get some bakery orders out.

Around 8am, I took a break for a delicious and filling breakfast made up of cherry banana soft serve and chocolate protein vegan overnight oats. Yum.

20100913IMG 2997 thumb   Flower Envy

The flower wanted some too!

20100913IMG 2989 thumb   Flower Envy

Last night I did some packing for our Paris trip…naturally, I started with the foodie products. ;)

I always bring Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder (top baggie) and samples whenever possible.

20100913IMG 3000 thumb   Flower Envy

I use coconut oil on my skin before bed, so I thought this Artisana sample would be a great travel supply. :) I am also bringing a big bag of Glo Bars that my mom, sister, and I can all share and pop into our purses for a quick on-the-go snack. I also think I might bring some samples of nut butter too. They would make great snacks to pair with apples! When we arrive, we are hoping to find a local market where we can pick up some fruit to keep in our hotel room.

Do you bring foodie items with you when you travel? Do you ever bring anything that others think is ‘strange’ or ‘unusual’?

Jessica @ How Sweet September 13, 2010

I am dying to get some Artisana packets!

I always bring packets of nutbutters, homemade trail mixes, in-case-of-emergency-bars, and other packets of nuts, etc. Always gotta be prepared!

kristy @ kristyruns.com September 13, 2010

Coconut butter on your face? !?! Do tell! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

coconut oil :) Just use a dime size amount after washing you face at night

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 13, 2010

I always bring Amazing Grass wheat grass packets on trips with me– especially if it seems like a trip where a hangover remedy might be necessary at some point :-)

Amanda September 13, 2010

I always bring some of my own food, normally almonds and clif bars just in case. People always think it’s weird when I bring my own breakfast, but breakfasts when you travel always seemed to end up packed with sugar so I find it better to bring my own.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

almonds is a great idea!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 13, 2010

i haven’t traveled in a while but i’m definitely taking nut butter packs with me when i do! so convenient :)

Gillian September 13, 2010

I carry mini hot sauce and my spice kit with me when I travel! It does the world to airplane food :)

I must ask something of you- this is very important- when you go to Paris- eat some medjool dates from the markets. They are the best I’ve ever had. I went so often (twice a day) that the guys working there would say “Buying dates?” when I arrived. Thank you :) If you would like any travel tips or vegan dining tips for Paris please send me a note, I have overloads of info from researching my book.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

thank you!

Kristina @ spabettie September 13, 2010

ha! much of the food I bring on holiday is looked at funny :)

green juices and green bars especially, but even trail mix (will that fill you up??) and nut butter (they’ve never HEARD of such a thing!).

I am also “one of those” who gets up early to run or walk or workout in the hotel gym. :)

Cami (Health & Happiness) September 13, 2010

I always take a good supply of food with me when I travel. For my most recent trip to Boston, MA I loaded my backpack with Vega and Clif bars, Amazing Grass Chocolate Infusion packets, a sweet trail mix with dried fruit, and a salty trail mix with Asian rice crackers. I also found these packets of nut butters that I love! http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/products.php They are perfect single serving size packets and the flavors range from classic peanut and almond butter to honey almond butter or chocolate almond butter or chocolate hazelnut and more! The chocolate flavors are non-dairy too! Even though it’s not at all vegan, I allowed myself to enjoy a little local seafood in Boston. I definitely recommend letting yourself try some local classics!

Nicole September 13, 2010

I usually bring a Luna bar or larabar. My boyfriend is awesome and brings sandwiches or salads…stuff I think will be a pain to eat while traveling, but I’m always so happy when he breaks out the snacks!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 13, 2010

I bring a lot of foodie items when I travel but usually just bars/hardboiled eggs/overnight oats and what not. I do bring a lot *home* with me though! Usually at least 5 jars of nut butters I’ve never been able to find anywhere else. :P

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 13, 2010

I usually bring some snacks for the plane or car. Mostly dried fruit and nuts.
Once I get to my destination I always seek out a market or supermarket to buy food.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 13, 2010

I always bring nuts and fruit. Sometimes even veggies like carrots and celery. Larabars are often a staple as well.

Sarah for Real September 13, 2010

Hmm… lately I’ve been carrying produce around in my purse. I’m not “traveling” per-se, but it’s definitely weird to have a cucumber in your purse, no?

Gypsy September 13, 2010

YES – I bring it all – protein powder, bars, fiber, nuts, dried fruit. And always my own meal for the plane. It’s so hard to eat balanced when traveling.

Made the new peanut butter vegan choc chip cookies last night – sooo good! I love being able to just check your recipes when I get a sweet tooth. They are always so delicious and easy to make :)

Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 13, 2010

I ALWAYS bring healthy portable food when I travel. I try to bake ahead of time like nut bars or oatmeal bars. I share and eat them during our first day of travel. For the rest of the time, I pack snack bars and also drink supplements that will help me stay on the healthy side. I also buy fresh fruits when I reach my destination.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 13, 2010

I flew to Oklahoma last Thanksgiving to see my sister/bro in law/niece/nephew and I brought a bag of apples, clif bars, larabars, protein powder samples, trail mix, almonds, walnuts, oatmeal in baggies, etc Basically everything I eat. I was nervous about bringing the nut butter — I wasn’t sure if it was considered a “gel” — and they have restrictions on sizes of bottles, containers. Maybe if you check your luggage you don’t have to worry about that.

I like to be prepared for trips, and that includes what food I eat!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 13, 2010

Yes! I always bring granola bars, pieces of fruit that will last (usually oranges) and bags of nuts. This came in handy in our last trip, when we couldn’t find a restaurant ANYWHERE (well, besides McDonald’s) to hold us over. Fiance was impressed that I kept pulling out food from my giant purse.

Hunter4086 September 13, 2010

heh heh! I love pulling the “pantry purse” thing too! It never fails to hearten a hungry co-traveler.

HUnter4086 September 13, 2010

It would be unheard of to not bring a small stockpile of snackly things on a trip! Those little things I take for granted, but are tricky to find in a 7-Eleven or Safeway or your average cafe!

Stevia powder, ideally a crunchy Granny Smith, some dates for their sweet zing, and yes nut butter is wonderful for spreading on things, all decadent-like. I just carry some real peanut or cashew butter in a small jar (because on the road every place specializes in those greasy packets of Kraft peanut butter oddness, blegh!).
Plus a Rebar or Luna for comfort.
I’d be more uncomfortable not having my wee food stash than not having a change of underwear. Scary but true!

Amanda September 13, 2010

Hi Angela,
When are you going to Paris? I have recently started following your blog and I just moved to Paris about 2 weeks ago. When I read your blog I felt like someone out there finally understood exactly when I have been going through for so many years. I don’t remember a time when food didn’t consume my entire life, and trying to fight the binge then eat next to nothing cycle for a long time. I am especially having that problem since moving here. I am 23 years old, and just want to love my body, and be happy and have my “Glow” back, but I can’t seem to keep myself on track. Your blog has been so inspiring, and since following has really made me want to do better. How long will you be in Paris for?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

I leave thurs for 6 nights

Kris September 13, 2010

A friend trying to bring me a jar of TJ’s almond butter had it taken by TSA, so unless it is in a sealed packet or 3 oz. jar in your quart size ziploc, don’t carry on nut butter.

Amanda September 13, 2010

I agree about the dates!! I am living in Paris right now and honestly JUST got back from the market from buying some!! So funny that I read this post right after getting home.

Gillian – I would love some of your tips for some places, I have been google-ing like mad trying to find good health food stores and vegan/veg restaurants. It would be great to connect up.

Katie September 13, 2010

I just returned from two weeks in Spain and packed what felt like half my suitcase with healthy snacks: Larabars, raw nuts, dried apricots, Greens+ powders, and my daily vitamins including a probiotic which is critical when travelling. I also usually hit a market or grocery store as soon as I land to stock up on fruits and veggies.
The Spanish diet is very focused on cheese, bread and meat. Pretty similiar to the French diet. After two weeks I was craving almond butter so bad that it was the first thing I ate the minute I stepped off the plane.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 13, 2010

I have always travelled with food and, since having to go completely gluten-free and dairy-free and egg-free, that has become even more important for me. I always bring raw nuts, though I think my next trip I will also bring nut butter packets. I also bring protein powder, crackers (it’s always easy to find hummus to top them with) and lara bars. And I pack a couple of meals for the plane ride too (usually a hummus sandwich).

Gillian Young September 13, 2010

Amanda- please send me an email! gilliankyoung@gmail.com

Laura September 13, 2010

You may want to check airline regulations and make sure you’ll be able to bring food back and forth. My husband and I went to Puerto Rico last summer and bought some fruit and snacks at a market to eat while we travelled home and it was all confiscated at security (none was liquid or gel form). We were bummed that the food and money was wasted and we had to buy over-priced, not very healthy airport food all day.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 13, 2010

Ha, that flower reminds me of the flowers from Alice in Wonderland! Great pics :)

I usually bring almonds, dried fruit, and sometimes bars (like Larabars, granola bars, etc.) with me whenever I travel. They are great snack options!

Jenny September 13, 2010

I carry flaxseed around with me. :) And lara bars. Pretty sure I have like 5 in my purse!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 13, 2010

Bars always travel well, so that’s #1 on my list!! And I always bring a few instant oatmeal packets too. Though they’re not the best breakfast on their own, in a pinch they’re a lifesaver (especially in France, where breakfast buffets are usually loaded with meats and butters)!

The jar/flower combo is so pretty this morning!

Sava September 13, 2010

I have heard of many people putting coconut oil on their skin after washing. It sounds like something I’d like to try!

Alexa @ The Girl in Chucks September 13, 2010

As much as I would REALLY like to say that I am that girl who packs healthy things for trips and makes healthy choices when on vacation….that, would in fact, be a lie.

Beyond packing a few granola bars to throw in my purse in case of an emergency (I carried a Glo Bar to a concert the other night for this purpose…I really love your bars! <3 ) hunger attack, I never pack anything special.

I do always pack my workout clothes…even when I go on a trip to Reno, NV. Unfortunately, I sometimes have a hard time prying the cocktail out of my hand and my money out of the slot machine long enough to hit the hotel's fitness center. And now the whole internet knows. Embarrassing! ;)

Camille September 13, 2010

I will usually bring snacks with me when I travel. If it is going to be a long trip, I load up on energy bars and nuts from Costco. There is no need to pay for overpriced tourist food when I can energize myself

Katherine September 13, 2010

I stayed with my grandparents a few months ago, and I packed individual baggies filled with a serving of oats, chia seeds, pepitas, and sunflower seeds so that I could make overnight oats. My grandmother kept trying to throw out the bowl of soaking oats each morning, and she would offer to make me “fresh oatmeal”. I tried to explain overnight oats to her, but it was a pretty major fail.

Laura S. September 13, 2010

Oh my gosh! So cute/funny!!!!!

Abby September 13, 2010

Hi! I’m a new reader! I lived in Paris for a year and though I shopped at all the lovely local markets for my fruits and veg, I did frequent one store in particular for all my healthy supplies/staples. If you can find it, they have the best selection of organic/vegan snacks! It’s called Naturalia, here is a link for the store, and if you click on the link in the bottom left, “nos 44 magasins” you will see all the store locations. Safe travels!

Jen Gordon September 13, 2010

I love how every meal is like a work of art! :)

Maxine September 13, 2010

I am a total insane person when it comes to packing snacks because my comfort and sanity depend on healthy nutrition! I have a whole carry on bag (Fresh Baggu bag) dedicated to it. My loot includes: wheatgrass powder, Vega smoothie packs, brown rice cakes, Simply Bar, dried oatmeal, tea, umpkin seeds, a pumpkin seed butter sandwich, crystallized ginger, Kashi Go Lean, cocoa nibs, kale chips, and 2 apples. I am leaving for a 2.5 month trip, and I am not sure what to do; I am hoping people will mail me care packages along the way!!!

Veronique @ Hooked on Health September 13, 2010

Ah coconut oil on the skin sounds genius! Why haven’t I tried this before? lol
I usually do bring lots of granola bars when I travel, but that is it. It depends on where I go, but if I am going to a far away place (such as in Europe), I like to shop around the local markets there and pick up what I need. I find it is a great way to enjoy the local foods and cultures they have to offer. So fun!

elyssa September 13, 2010

where do you buy your frozen cherries, angela? or are you using fresh still? i live in toronto and neither my whole foods nor regular grocery store carries them!

normally, i bring dark chocolate with me for an emergency mood lift in the airport, on the go, every where i go..but since you’re going to FRANCE they’re will be chocolate everywhere!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

They were my LAST fresh ones that I pitted and frozen! SO SAD!!!!

Maya September 13, 2010

I love the picture of the flower and the oats! yes, I bring food with me when I travel, because even if healthy options are available, they’re usually overpriced!

Mandy September 13, 2010

I have been following your blog from afar (germany) for a while now and must say I love it. Am a green monster convert and today baked some ultimate oatmeal raisin cookies. My 15 year old son came home from school and devoured three before I could stop him – so they have definitely been given the tick of approval!!!
I always travel with food, being vegan and unable to tolerate yeast(which seriously limits choices, anything with bread is out for me), I just find to have little stash takes away so much stress.
Usually I have mini rice crackers and nuts and fruit, of course a little chocolate can never be a bad thing. I find it’s really nice to have a few teabags tucked away also, most people have one or two brands that are their comfort drink – good on a long flight or after a long day.
Have a fabulous time in Paris, have to agree with the dates suggestion, yummy yum they are.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

hello Germany!!!

Rachael @ Mrs. Adventure September 13, 2010

I always pack granola bars… The only weird thing I do is I use shower caps that I have picked up at hotels as “shoe covers” when packing.

Page 1 of 3123»