Flower Envy

Good morning!

I am happy to see there are a lot of NCIS fans out there. ;)

I have been a busy bee this morning trying to get some bakery orders out.

Around 8am, I took a break for a delicious and filling breakfast made up of cherry banana soft serve and chocolate protein vegan overnight oats. Yum.

20100913-IMG_2997

The flower wanted some too!

20100913-IMG_2989

Last night I did some packing for our Paris trip…naturally, I started with the foodie products. ;)

I always bring Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder (top baggie) and samples whenever possible.

20100913-IMG_3000

I use coconut oil on my skin before bed, so I thought this Artisana sample would be a great travel supply. :) I am also bringing a big bag of Glo Bars that my mom, sister, and I can all share and pop into our purses for a quick on-the-go snack. I also think I might bring some samples of nut butter too. They would make great snacks to pair with apples! When we arrive, we are hoping to find a local market where we can pick up some fruit to keep in our hotel room.

Do you bring foodie items with you when you travel? Do you ever bring anything that others think is ‘strange’ or ‘unusual’?

1 Jessica @ How Sweet September 13, 2010

I am dying to get some Artisana packets!

I always bring packets of nutbutters, homemade trail mixes, in-case-of-emergency-bars, and other packets of nuts, etc. Always gotta be prepared!

2 kristy @ kristyruns.com September 13, 2010

Coconut butter on your face? !?! Do tell! :)

3 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

coconut oil :) Just use a dime size amount after washing you face at night

4 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 13, 2010

I always bring Amazing Grass wheat grass packets on trips with me– especially if it seems like a trip where a hangover remedy might be necessary at some point :-)

5 Amanda September 13, 2010

I always bring some of my own food, normally almonds and clif bars just in case. People always think it’s weird when I bring my own breakfast, but breakfasts when you travel always seemed to end up packed with sugar so I find it better to bring my own.

6 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

almonds is a great idea!

7 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 13, 2010

i haven’t traveled in a while but i’m definitely taking nut butter packs with me when i do! so convenient :)

8 Gillian September 13, 2010

I carry mini hot sauce and my spice kit with me when I travel! It does the world to airplane food :)

I must ask something of you- this is very important- when you go to Paris- eat some medjool dates from the markets. They are the best I’ve ever had. I went so often (twice a day) that the guys working there would say “Buying dates?” when I arrived. Thank you :) If you would like any travel tips or vegan dining tips for Paris please send me a note, I have overloads of info from researching my book.

9 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

thank you!

10 Kristina @ spabettie September 13, 2010

ha! much of the food I bring on holiday is looked at funny :)

green juices and green bars especially, but even trail mix (will that fill you up??) and nut butter (they’ve never HEARD of such a thing!).

I am also “one of those” who gets up early to run or walk or workout in the hotel gym. :)

11 Cami (Health & Happiness) September 13, 2010

I always take a good supply of food with me when I travel. For my most recent trip to Boston, MA I loaded my backpack with Vega and Clif bars, Amazing Grass Chocolate Infusion packets, a sweet trail mix with dried fruit, and a salty trail mix with Asian rice crackers. I also found these packets of nut butters that I love! http://www.justinsnutbutter.com/products.php They are perfect single serving size packets and the flavors range from classic peanut and almond butter to honey almond butter or chocolate almond butter or chocolate hazelnut and more! The chocolate flavors are non-dairy too! Even though it’s not at all vegan, I allowed myself to enjoy a little local seafood in Boston. I definitely recommend letting yourself try some local classics!

12 Nicole September 13, 2010

I usually bring a Luna bar or larabar. My boyfriend is awesome and brings sandwiches or salads…stuff I think will be a pain to eat while traveling, but I’m always so happy when he breaks out the snacks!

13 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 13, 2010

I bring a lot of foodie items when I travel but usually just bars/hardboiled eggs/overnight oats and what not. I do bring a lot *home* with me though! Usually at least 5 jars of nut butters I’ve never been able to find anywhere else. :P

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 13, 2010

I usually bring some snacks for the plane or car. Mostly dried fruit and nuts.
Once I get to my destination I always seek out a market or supermarket to buy food.

15 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 13, 2010

I always bring nuts and fruit. Sometimes even veggies like carrots and celery. Larabars are often a staple as well.

16 Sarah for Real September 13, 2010

Hmm… lately I’ve been carrying produce around in my purse. I’m not “traveling” per-se, but it’s definitely weird to have a cucumber in your purse, no?

17 Gypsy September 13, 2010

YES – I bring it all – protein powder, bars, fiber, nuts, dried fruit. And always my own meal for the plane. It’s so hard to eat balanced when traveling.

Made the new peanut butter vegan choc chip cookies last night – sooo good! I love being able to just check your recipes when I get a sweet tooth. They are always so delicious and easy to make :)

18 Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 13, 2010

I ALWAYS bring healthy portable food when I travel. I try to bake ahead of time like nut bars or oatmeal bars. I share and eat them during our first day of travel. For the rest of the time, I pack snack bars and also drink supplements that will help me stay on the healthy side. I also buy fresh fruits when I reach my destination.

19 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 13, 2010

I flew to Oklahoma last Thanksgiving to see my sister/bro in law/niece/nephew and I brought a bag of apples, clif bars, larabars, protein powder samples, trail mix, almonds, walnuts, oatmeal in baggies, etc Basically everything I eat. I was nervous about bringing the nut butter — I wasn’t sure if it was considered a “gel” — and they have restrictions on sizes of bottles, containers. Maybe if you check your luggage you don’t have to worry about that.

I like to be prepared for trips, and that includes what food I eat!

20 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 13, 2010

Yes! I always bring granola bars, pieces of fruit that will last (usually oranges) and bags of nuts. This came in handy in our last trip, when we couldn’t find a restaurant ANYWHERE (well, besides McDonald’s) to hold us over. Fiance was impressed that I kept pulling out food from my giant purse.

21 Hunter4086 September 13, 2010

heh heh! I love pulling the “pantry purse” thing too! It never fails to hearten a hungry co-traveler.

22 HUnter4086 September 13, 2010

It would be unheard of to not bring a small stockpile of snackly things on a trip! Those little things I take for granted, but are tricky to find in a 7-Eleven or Safeway or your average cafe!

Stevia powder, ideally a crunchy Granny Smith, some dates for their sweet zing, and yes nut butter is wonderful for spreading on things, all decadent-like. I just carry some real peanut or cashew butter in a small jar (because on the road every place specializes in those greasy packets of Kraft peanut butter oddness, blegh!).
Plus a Rebar or Luna for comfort.
I’d be more uncomfortable not having my wee food stash than not having a change of underwear. Scary but true!

23 Amanda September 13, 2010

Hi Angela,
When are you going to Paris? I have recently started following your blog and I just moved to Paris about 2 weeks ago. When I read your blog I felt like someone out there finally understood exactly when I have been going through for so many years. I don’t remember a time when food didn’t consume my entire life, and trying to fight the binge then eat next to nothing cycle for a long time. I am especially having that problem since moving here. I am 23 years old, and just want to love my body, and be happy and have my “Glow” back, but I can’t seem to keep myself on track. Your blog has been so inspiring, and since following has really made me want to do better. How long will you be in Paris for?

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

I leave thurs for 6 nights

25 Kris September 13, 2010

A friend trying to bring me a jar of TJ’s almond butter had it taken by TSA, so unless it is in a sealed packet or 3 oz. jar in your quart size ziploc, don’t carry on nut butter.

26 Amanda September 13, 2010

I agree about the dates!! I am living in Paris right now and honestly JUST got back from the market from buying some!! So funny that I read this post right after getting home.

Gillian – I would love some of your tips for some places, I have been google-ing like mad trying to find good health food stores and vegan/veg restaurants. It would be great to connect up.

27 Katie September 13, 2010

I just returned from two weeks in Spain and packed what felt like half my suitcase with healthy snacks: Larabars, raw nuts, dried apricots, Greens+ powders, and my daily vitamins including a probiotic which is critical when travelling. I also usually hit a market or grocery store as soon as I land to stock up on fruits and veggies.
The Spanish diet is very focused on cheese, bread and meat. Pretty similiar to the French diet. After two weeks I was craving almond butter so bad that it was the first thing I ate the minute I stepped off the plane.

28 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 13, 2010

I have always travelled with food and, since having to go completely gluten-free and dairy-free and egg-free, that has become even more important for me. I always bring raw nuts, though I think my next trip I will also bring nut butter packets. I also bring protein powder, crackers (it’s always easy to find hummus to top them with) and lara bars. And I pack a couple of meals for the plane ride too (usually a hummus sandwich).

29 Gillian Young September 13, 2010

Amanda- please send me an email! gilliankyoung@gmail.com

30 Laura September 13, 2010

You may want to check airline regulations and make sure you’ll be able to bring food back and forth. My husband and I went to Puerto Rico last summer and bought some fruit and snacks at a market to eat while we travelled home and it was all confiscated at security (none was liquid or gel form). We were bummed that the food and money was wasted and we had to buy over-priced, not very healthy airport food all day.

31 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 13, 2010

Ha, that flower reminds me of the flowers from Alice in Wonderland! Great pics :)

I usually bring almonds, dried fruit, and sometimes bars (like Larabars, granola bars, etc.) with me whenever I travel. They are great snack options!

32 Jenny September 13, 2010

I carry flaxseed around with me. :) And lara bars. Pretty sure I have like 5 in my purse!

33 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 13, 2010

Bars always travel well, so that’s #1 on my list!! And I always bring a few instant oatmeal packets too. Though they’re not the best breakfast on their own, in a pinch they’re a lifesaver (especially in France, where breakfast buffets are usually loaded with meats and butters)!

The jar/flower combo is so pretty this morning!

34 Sava September 13, 2010

I have heard of many people putting coconut oil on their skin after washing. It sounds like something I’d like to try!

35 Alexa @ The Girl in Chucks September 13, 2010

As much as I would REALLY like to say that I am that girl who packs healthy things for trips and makes healthy choices when on vacation….that, would in fact, be a lie.

Beyond packing a few granola bars to throw in my purse in case of an emergency (I carried a Glo Bar to a concert the other night for this purpose…I really love your bars! <3 ) hunger attack, I never pack anything special.

I do always pack my workout clothes…even when I go on a trip to Reno, NV. Unfortunately, I sometimes have a hard time prying the cocktail out of my hand and my money out of the slot machine long enough to hit the hotel's fitness center. And now the whole internet knows. Embarrassing! ;)

36 Camille September 13, 2010

I will usually bring snacks with me when I travel. If it is going to be a long trip, I load up on energy bars and nuts from Costco. There is no need to pay for overpriced tourist food when I can energize myself

37 Katherine September 13, 2010

I stayed with my grandparents a few months ago, and I packed individual baggies filled with a serving of oats, chia seeds, pepitas, and sunflower seeds so that I could make overnight oats. My grandmother kept trying to throw out the bowl of soaking oats each morning, and she would offer to make me “fresh oatmeal”. I tried to explain overnight oats to her, but it was a pretty major fail.

38 Laura S. September 13, 2010

Oh my gosh! So cute/funny!!!!!

39 Abby September 13, 2010

Hi! I’m a new reader! I lived in Paris for a year and though I shopped at all the lovely local markets for my fruits and veg, I did frequent one store in particular for all my healthy supplies/staples. If you can find it, they have the best selection of organic/vegan snacks! It’s called Naturalia, here is a link for the store, and if you click on the link in the bottom left, “nos 44 magasins” you will see all the store locations. Safe travels!

40 Jen Gordon September 13, 2010

I love how every meal is like a work of art! :)

41 Maxine September 13, 2010

I am a total insane person when it comes to packing snacks because my comfort and sanity depend on healthy nutrition! I have a whole carry on bag (Fresh Baggu bag) dedicated to it. My loot includes: wheatgrass powder, Vega smoothie packs, brown rice cakes, Simply Bar, dried oatmeal, tea, umpkin seeds, a pumpkin seed butter sandwich, crystallized ginger, Kashi Go Lean, cocoa nibs, kale chips, and 2 apples. I am leaving for a 2.5 month trip, and I am not sure what to do; I am hoping people will mail me care packages along the way!!!

42 Veronique @ Hooked on Health September 13, 2010

Ah coconut oil on the skin sounds genius! Why haven’t I tried this before? lol
I usually do bring lots of granola bars when I travel, but that is it. It depends on where I go, but if I am going to a far away place (such as in Europe), I like to shop around the local markets there and pick up what I need. I find it is a great way to enjoy the local foods and cultures they have to offer. So fun!

43 elyssa September 13, 2010

where do you buy your frozen cherries, angela? or are you using fresh still? i live in toronto and neither my whole foods nor regular grocery store carries them!

normally, i bring dark chocolate with me for an emergency mood lift in the airport, on the go, every where i go..but since you’re going to FRANCE they’re will be chocolate everywhere!

44 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

They were my LAST fresh ones that I pitted and frozen! SO SAD!!!!

45 Maya September 13, 2010

I love the picture of the flower and the oats! yes, I bring food with me when I travel, because even if healthy options are available, they’re usually overpriced!

46 Mandy September 13, 2010

I have been following your blog from afar (germany) for a while now and must say I love it. Am a green monster convert and today baked some ultimate oatmeal raisin cookies. My 15 year old son came home from school and devoured three before I could stop him – so they have definitely been given the tick of approval!!!
I always travel with food, being vegan and unable to tolerate yeast(which seriously limits choices, anything with bread is out for me), I just find to have little stash takes away so much stress.
Usually I have mini rice crackers and nuts and fruit, of course a little chocolate can never be a bad thing. I find it’s really nice to have a few teabags tucked away also, most people have one or two brands that are their comfort drink – good on a long flight or after a long day.
Have a fabulous time in Paris, have to agree with the dates suggestion, yummy yum they are.

47 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

hello Germany!!!

48 Rachael @ Mrs. Adventure September 13, 2010

I always pack granola bars… The only weird thing I do is I use shower caps that I have picked up at hotels as “shoe covers” when packing.

49 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 13, 2010

I always bring few foodie things with me when traveling.. Esp when I have to fly and rely on airport food. Never know when you’ll need a snack and not be able to find one! Right ?

50 Kelly September 13, 2010

I always bring food with me. I have a packing list that I use to make sure I don’t forget anything. The healthier I get the more food items get added to it. Here’s my food list: oatmeal, chia seeds, individual almond milks, trail mix (can use that in the oatmeal or for a snack), granola, bars (Ms. May, Larabars, Clif), wheatgrass packets & my shaker, bowl with lid to make overnight oats in my room, Amazing Grass Superfood packets or protein powder, individual nut butter packets, dried fruit (in the winter)…..and the list goes on. I mainly pack breakfast items. I can find a salad for lunch/dinner just about any place. Breakfast seems to be more difficult especially when you stay at one of those places that have a continental breakfast. For some reason they typically think donuts and cereal with cows milk is all there is for breakfast.

51 MoniMeals September 13, 2010

Yes, coconut oil is great for the skin, that is why you Oh So GLOW Angela! You do have lovely skin my friend. :)
I do bring snacks when I travel: bars, nuts, and maybe a good box of cereal. :) The airport is usually not ideal so I like to save some $$ and have a good snack from home ready. I am going to Maui soon and I look forward to all the amazing fresh fruit. I am so happy for your trip coming up! Wow, I am dying to go and it is so cool you are going with your mom and sister.

52 Lisa September 13, 2010

Most of our vacations include some sort of fitness–like hiking or cycling. So in that case we bring healthy snacks like protein bars, etc.

53 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 13, 2010

I brought Clif Bars for my trip to DC this summer (I had a feeling I’d be confronted with a lot of McDonald’s lunches and I was right!) I also brought my own goodies for the plane instead of the mini packs of ritz and goldfish.

54 Jackie September 13, 2010

Great ideas! When my husband and I were in Paris last year we actually got a lot of food at the grocery store right next to our hotel. Water was $6 a bottle on the street, so we bought a 12 pack and carried it around. We would get sandwhich stuff and pack picnics to eat while we were out. The food they had was so amazing, nothing like we had here. My favorite memory is eating a ham & brie sandwhich under an overhang of the Lourve watching it rain.

I usually pack Glo Bars when I travel :P. In fact I am about to place an order for my trip to Chicago in Nov!

55 Erin September 13, 2010

I never travel without Jason’s PB or Almond Butter packets or Larabars. Just can’t be without ’em or I go into withdrawal.

56 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 13, 2010

I’m p;retty sure I could fill an entire suitcase full of food when I travel! :)

57 Gina (@ Looking Forward) September 13, 2010

I usually pack some protein power, packets of nut butter, apple or banana, oats and a few bars when travelling. I like to make a dinner/lunch out of this when in the airport or ont he plane to avoid buying airport food. I probably wouldn’t bring all this to Paris…maybe a few bars to stash in my purse and some nut butter packets. When I visited Paris, I found that I never needed a snack as we ate far too much during our 3 meals per day! We usually ate out at a cafe or restaurant for lunch and dinner. Breakfast, we usually went to a little bakery near the hotel for coffee and a pastry, then stopped at the local corner market for some fruit to go with our pastry and caffiene, it was divine:) It seemed like there was always a little market with fresh produce on every other corner…very convienent.

58 Jessica@tastyandtrim September 13, 2010

I always bring food items with me when I travel! Vitatops, luna bars, pieces of fruit, etc. I even make sure to have a healthy snack in my purse when I run errands. You can never be too prepared :)

59 Tina September 13, 2010

I bring foodie items for the travel but not so much while I’m there. It depends on where the vacation is and what activities are involved though.

60 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 13, 2010

I am a GF high raw vegan. My entire outlook on food is a total 180 from most people it seems; so I am always considered the weird one. But that’s ok :)

I actually travel with snacks that are premade like bars or things that I can eat in a pinch that are non perishable but mostly, I don’t go too overboard with snacks and things when I travel. I just grab the nearest piece of fresh raw produce, that’s the best to me!

But I never leave home without my stevia. Gotta have it…haha!

Have a great week, Angela!

61 The Wife of a Dairyman September 13, 2010

Coconut oil for your face….no wonder you glow:) I bring some sort of bars and raw almonds when I travel. Can’t wait to hear about your trip!

62 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 13, 2010

I usually travel with little bags of pre-mixed oats, vanilla whey protein, cinnamon and stevia. I’ve been given a few odd looks in hotels when I bring my own oats, but they’re so much better than just the plain kind (which aren’t always available). One of my go-to road trip snacks is baby carrots, and that always gets odd looks from my driving companions too!

63 Noelle September 13, 2010

I am afraid to put coconut oil on my face for some reason… it doesn’t make you break out? Do you have extra dry skin or something? Do tell!

64 Seglare September 13, 2010

I have tried using coconut oil as well, as it is supposed to very good for dry, sensitive skin. It was ok for a couple of days, but then started irritating my skin and actually seemed to DRY it out. I have super sensitive skin, so I guess I was just allergic to it. I would have loved to be able to use it, as it is so natural and leaves a lovely, faint scent on your skin. Noelle – if you have relatively ‘normal’ skin, I’d give it a try! ;)

You have such beautiful skin, Angela – and very healthy looking! :)

65 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

Thank you!
It works for me…I think it does cause the occasional pimpple, but I feel like it is worth it to be using something natural. And yes I do find it makes me skin glow. I exfoliate with Ives before bed then use the coconut oil. very easy too

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

oops meant ‘my’

67 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 13, 2010

I almost always bring food with me when I travel! There are always Larabars and raw almonds stashed in my purse, as well a tin of dark chocolate, and in my suitcase I usually bring a bottle of liquid stevia and a baggy of spirulina for my green smoothies!

68 Stacy September 13, 2010

Whenever we travel, which is usually by car, I always make sure I pack mini-lunches. A couple Cliff bars, two juices for the hubby, water for me, two sandwiches, and then a little something sweet usually Dark chocolate. I prefer to not stop at a restaurant while en route to our destination. I much prefer saving the money and using it towards our food money for when we are at our destination. We love NCIS!! The dynamics between Gibbs and Tony crack me up. And oh Abby is awesome! I love how out of all of them she is the most affectionate and sweetest, but looks like tough gal with her goth get up :)

69 carri z. September 13, 2010

you are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!
the husb and i went to italy in may
and since i am GF and wasn’t
sure how many options there
would be for me,
i brought a CASE of
pb lara bars. they were
life savers! that and the gelato ; )

70 carri z. September 13, 2010

you are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!
the husb and i went to italy in may
and since i am GF and wasn’t
sure how many options there
would be for me,
i brought a CASE of
pb lara bars. they were
life savers! that and the gelato ; )

71 Annie@stronghealthyfit September 13, 2010

I brought a whole lunchbox full of Luna, Clif and Odwalla bars to Hungary when I was there for a month this summer :-) I also bring fruit for the actual days of travel.
Have an amazing trip! What a great opportunity to be able to go to Paris with your Mom and sister :-)

72 Kathryn September 13, 2010

I always bring food with me, I just can’t help it. I wish I had a shrink ray to bring my vitamix and my juicer with me places too.

For our 2 week trip to the carribean I brough amazing grass (the energy one!) and a box of cliff mojo bars in peanut butter pretzel as well as some McDougall soup cups. I REALLY wish I would have brough some chocolate, I couldn’t find any good chocolate without milk in it.

I hear there are lots of produce stands in Paris!

73 suburbanhousewife@sinninginsuburbia September 13, 2010

Always. I wanted to bring my vitamix, almond milk, amazing grass and bananas in my suitcase when I went to Rhode Island this summer. My husband put his foot down and said I was starting to cross the line with the packing of appliances and what have you. I pack almost any type of food I can get away with though!
love the coconut oil idea but what do you use to cleanse with first?

74 Clare September 13, 2010

I’m sure you have been asked this question a trillion times but how do you get the oats to layer so beautifully? Almond milk first?

75 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

I always layer with the banana soft serve first…then push it down with my spoon to spread out, then repeat with the VOO layer. ;)

76 CathyK September 13, 2010

i TOTALLY travel with food stuffs! pb, protein mixes…i love packing “staples” to have as needed. i even have been known to smuggle produce and fruit in my suitcase – sh!

77 Lisa September 13, 2010

Ive heard of people using coconut oil on their face! I am a huge fan of natural beauty products so Im going to give this a shot! Thanks for the tip! P.S. Oats look amazing! Anything with banana soft serve is phenomonal!

78 Amber K September 13, 2010

I pretty much just bring clothes and Kashi bars in case I get hungry between meals. They aren’t the best when it comes to ingredients, but the rolls are REALLY filling and taste just like candy bars. Helps me to not overindulge in other sweet things.

79 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 13, 2010

I always bring larabars with me wherever I go. I have low blood sugar, so its nice to know that if I get caught in a situation when my blood sugar dives, I have a healthy way to get it back up.

80 Michal September 13, 2010

I’ve often thought that if I ever give into my parents and move to Israel, I’ll have to bring a SUITCASE full of chia seeds, because supposedly you can’t get them there! You also can’t get creamed corn, oddly enough, and I know my Mum misses it.

81 jenna September 13, 2010

what a fun trip to be packing for!! would you mind packing me as well? pretty please…

your vegan overnight oats look so dreamy this a.m. i haven’t had them in a very long time!

82 faith @ gracefulfitness September 13, 2010

I always pack food when I travel. When I was in China in June I brought a cup of noodles with me on the train (naturally, EVERYONE brings cups of noodles on the train with them in China) and some veggies to throw in the mix. As I snapped green beans into my cup I got the craziest looks, people even nudged their traveling companions and took pictures with their phones! It’s fine to gnaw on a shrink wrapped chicken foot but putting veggies into your noodles is nuts!

83 Maissa (Run, Rant, Realize) September 13, 2010

I always bring a LARA bar or two, and generally some bread and peanut butter. Sometimes a banana. That way I’m set in case we’re stuck somewhere and I can’t find anywhere I want to eat. I’m so excited for you for your trip! I’m sure your traveling companions will appreciate the glo-bar stash your bringing along.

84 stacey-healthylife September 13, 2010

It’s great to be prepared in the food department. You can always bring it home. But having it on hand will save the day.

85 Bee Goes Bananas September 13, 2010

Aww, the soft serve matches that beautiful flower! What a pretty colour to wake up to!

86 Danielle September 13, 2010

Angela, I have a question for you! Where did you purchase your knee sleeves? I’m having some knee pain now that my milage is higher (I’m a newbie runner and almost up to 6 miles!). I want to try a sleeve but don’t want to buy a random brand.

Thanks! :)

87 Angela (Oh She Glows) September 13, 2010

I got them at shoppers

goodluck with your running!!!

88 Lisa @ bakebikeblog September 13, 2010

hehe I am GUILTY!!! I always take a big bag of my foodies stashes with me!

89 jamie @ jamelafamela September 13, 2010

coconut oil is good for your hair as well! those voos look great today- if i were the flower i’d want some too :)

90 Lizzie September 13, 2010

KIND bars – love these and they’re so easy to pack and take along. I used to bring Lara Bars, but then I found out they sold the company to General Mills, and that kind of turned me off a bit. I sometimes bring the Amazing Grass sample size packets too. It’s nice to have a familiar back up especially when you enjoyed the cheese just a little too much :)

91 Amy September 13, 2010

Angela, I just tried Barney Butter for the first time this weekend. WOW! Now I know why you love it so much. I am eating it non-stop and I haven’t shared with anyone, it is all mine!
YUM YUM!

92 Amy September 13, 2010

Apple Cider Vinegar. I like my oatmeal tangy and to have that little kick. So I travel with a little jar of vinegar and people think it’s odd.

93 Leah @ Why Deprive? September 13, 2010

I almost always have some type of bar in my purse. You never know when you might need it! People make fun of me, but they when theyre hungry and Im the one with the food, all of a sudden its not such a bad idea.

94 Casey September 13, 2010

I always bring the things that everyone else said, but I also bring homemade rice crispy treats. I use the box with the Koala on front and use the recipe from The Kind Diet (without the chocolate chips). This way I make sure if I get a sweet craving I can grab something yummy AND vegan!! I just slice them up, throw them in ziploc snack bags, and throw in the suitcase. I always make sure I pack plenty of tea bags, too!! I just use the hotel coffee maker to heat up my water.

95 Cara Craves... September 13, 2010

Being prepared and packing foodie goodies is a great idea, I
am often not that organized or lack the space to shove them in somewhere.

96 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 13, 2010

Wow I’d never think of putting coconut oil on my face! Sounds like you’re on to something there. I do put it in my hair though, it smells nice and is very very moisturizing!
I made your apple cupcakes just now, they didn’t come out looking nearly as photogenic as yours but boy were they delicious! And I ate them with my hands, haha. There was nut butter on my nose! I posted a picture on my blog, check it out if you have a chance!

97 Jessica (Fit and Clean) September 13, 2010

My husband and I just got back from St. Lucia, and I had Larabars and Truvia in my suitcase. We stayed at a Sandals resort, where I could get pretty whatever I desired to eat, all inclusive. I brought my stash “just in case”! Can’t wait to hear and see about your Paris trip. It’s one of the places that I’ve always wanted to go!

98 Amari @ Eat Chic September 13, 2010

I recently took an outdoorsy adventure vacation to California and packed my suitcase with 2 giant bags of trail mix and 10 Cliff Bars! Everyone thought I was totally crazy, but they all asked for the food when they got hungry on the trip! :) Have fun in Paris!

99 kelli September 13, 2010

I bring bars, nut butter packets, oatmeal packets, chia seeds,vega powder. I come prepared!

100 MarathonVal September 13, 2010

Yikes, I just started getting anxious about packing reading all these comments haha. I’m going on a “yoga for teachers” retreat in a couple weeks and I’m nervous to go without my delicious produce and fresh vegan food… especially Green Monsters! But it’s all-inclusive so I’m gonna cross my fingers they have good food there :)

I tried to use coconut oil on my face but it made me break out… and I recently went to an AMAZING facialist who told me to stop using my St. Ives apricot scrub (said it was very harsh and damaging) and told me to use almond oil or olive oil every morning and night, but not coconut oil which for whatever reason (I forget what she said exactly) she said that can cause breakouts.

So far over the past month, it’s worked out great, plus almond oil is cheaper than coconut oil :)

101 Sarah September 13, 2010

I may or may not have taken a bottle of Bragg’s on one of my last business trips…

I also love the 100 calorie almond packs and instant oatmeal packets that I can pump up with fruit.

102 Sportsgirl September 14, 2010

The only thing I take might be protein powder and protein bars and my vitamins. I don’t take much else because some places are picky about what they let in the country.

103 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 14, 2010

I don’t know why but I always have at least 3 Larabars in my purse at all times. I don’t travel much and I’m never more than an 15 minutes from home usually… But I guess I like to be prepared. I hardly travel and I have yet to travel while living a healthier lifestyle… So all of these ideas are great!

104 Brigid September 14, 2010

You soft serve/oats look gorgeous! I’m going on my first transatlantic trip since being a vegetarian this fall, and I’m trying to decide what I need to bring, so this post is very helpful. I was planning on procuring a few of the Justin’s nut butter samples to bring and some fruit and carrot sticks, maybe a little hummus.

105 Lisa September 14, 2010

I always have to pack Justin’s net butter packets!

I also wanted to say I tried vegan overnight oats for the first time this morning after reading your blog for sometime now. I am such a creature of habit that I moved away from my hot oatmeal breakfast a while ago to vegan waffles in the morning. Now I am burnt out on them so I decided to try the vegan overnight oats. I have to say the cold oatmeal aspect wasn’t very appealing to me at first … OMG they are AWESOME!

Thank you.

106 Ashley Craft September 14, 2010

I always make sure I have apples and a Pure Bar in my purse (I am obsessed with the Chocolate Brownie flavor!!) Lara bars are great too!

107 Heather September 15, 2010

Those oats look so good! I’ve copied your recipe and will definitely be giving them a try soon. I always pack some instant oatmeal packets when I travel – I use the coffee maker in my hotel room to make the hot water for them. Then I’m starting my day off with a good meal, saving some money, and leaving some extra calories for sampling the local cuisine without guilt!