Organize My Kitchen

Good morning!

I’ve been waiting for this moment.

20100911IMG 2912 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

Well, actually this moment is bittersweet.

While I didn’t want my TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter to ever end, I was anxious to make Vegan Overnight Oats in it.

This was my first time making oats in a jar after seeing it on the blogs for a year now! I think it was the wonderful Heather who came up with the idea. The beauty of OIAJ is that you get to enjoy the nut butter that is lightly coating the sides and bottom of an (almost) empty nut butter jar. I think there was 1/2-1 tbsp of the sunflower seed butter left, so not much…but still fun.

I think this qualifies as oats in a…tub? ;)

20100911IMG 2905 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

I made my Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats recipe and I added in a sliced banana. I put most of it in the middle and a few slices on top. I drizzled it with 1/2 tbsp maple syrup when I decided that it needed a touch of sweetness.

20100911IMG 2913 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

And now I shall mourn the end of my TJ’s Sunflower Seed Butter.

After filling my belly, I started on House Organization project #2 (For the office project see here and here). Today’s task is to organize ALL kitchen cupboards. This morning I started with the food cupboards.

I didn’t remember to snap before pictures, but here are some ‘afters’ of what I have done so far. After removing junk we don’t use, they looked a little bare!

20100911IMG 28502 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

My favourite cupboard because it is so empty!

20100911IMG 28482 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

I love having free space in cupboards so I don’t feel like I have to cram everything in when I need to store something.

Plus, as Eric pointed out, I can’t reach the 3rd shelf anyways. Minor detail.

20100911IMG 28522 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

I still think I’d like to have a better organizational system for the cupboards, but for now this will work.

20100911IMG 28592 thumb   Organize My Kitchen

I have several more to tackle today, including the Tupperware cupboard (ahhh) and the Lazy Susan.

Now for some of my favourite health links from the past week. Enjoy!

Health News Round Up

Spotted:

If you could pick one room to do an organizational overhaul what room would it be and why?

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 12, 2010

Wooow you’d never had OIAJ!? It’s brilliant isn’t it! I can’t wait for my next jar to be finished :D

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 12, 2010

I didn’t know who came up with OIAJ but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was Heather, she had the best ideas!

I still haven’t tried sunflower seed butter, for fear of eating the whole jar in one day (or one sitting…).

If I could organize one room in my house it would be the basement: it is still a disaster area, and has been since Jason and I got married — so much stuff and no furniture or organization of any kind. Hopefully we will get to that soon!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 12, 2010

Yum! I have got to try these famed oats soon. The linen closet is becoming disastrous. Just this morning I pulled out a blanket and 3 sheet sets toppled onto my head. Not cool.

Gina September 12, 2010

I’m new to blogging and can’t wait to make my first OIAJ, so excited :)
I’m a total peanut butter lover, but every time I’m in Trader Joes I see the Sunflower Seed butter and wonder how good it is? Is it better than peanut butter?

I am an organization fanatic. It just feels good when you remove all the clutter and put everything in its perfect place :)
Your office project turned out awesome!

Tori @ FIToriBLOG.com September 12, 2010

I’ve been working on kitchen organization FOREVER! And, since we are remodeling I was kind of forced into reorganizing since they took everything out anyway! :)

steph@stephsbitebybite September 12, 2010

I would have to say my kitchen. Our kitchen isn’t very big and doesn’t have a lot of sotrage so we’ve got thing just jammed in to any spot we can find :( I would love to add some shelves and clear the clutter.

Nicole @ yuppie yogini September 12, 2010

Definitely my closet. Not really a room, but it’s a disaster and I don’t know how to get it in order. I need Martha Stewart!

Valerie September 12, 2010

I’m loving the organizational projects! Very nice. I feel like I’m always organizing and sorting things and throwing things out, but more recently I compiled a list of everything in my apartment that desperately needs to be organized, and to keep it stress-free, I give myself weekly cleaning projects :) This past week was my desk area. Future weeks will include the closet, bookshelves, dresser drawers, spice cabinet, and under the sinks, just to name a few. Breaking it down into tasks has made it much easier for me and now it isn’t overwhelming!

Sara September 12, 2010

I think I missed something! How did you manage to snag something from Trader Joe’s while living in Toronto?! AM I MISSING SOMETHING INTEGRAL TO MY HAPPINESS? I thought once I moved to Canada my TJ days were over! HELP!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2010

haha I got it in Chicago!!

Sara September 12, 2010

Nooooooo! Haha, all right. Well, I’m making a trip to the US here soon. Perhaps I’ll stock up!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 12, 2010

It’s always so sad to run out of something that you can’t easily buy! Hopefully you can find a brand of sunflower seed butter available in Canada that you like.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 12, 2010

I too am anticipating the end of one of my nut butter jars because I want to make OIAJ! Had vanilla pumpkin oats this morning for breakfast (just a bowl, no jar!) and they were delicious. Looks like you’re well on your way with the kitchen overhaul! I recently did one in my kitchen cupboards too, and it feels SO good when you’re finished. My tupperware is all labeled and stacked and spices are in labeled jars…now the big challenge will be to keep it that way!

Jessica@tastyandtrim September 12, 2010

Thanks for the great links! I would pick my storage room to organize. There is random stuff stacked everywhere!

stacey-healthylife September 12, 2010

I love having my kitchen organized. It just makes life easier and calmer.

Chelsey September 12, 2010

If I had time, I would do a major overhaul to the hubby’s office!!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 12, 2010

You are seriously making me want to rip everything out of my kithchen cupboards! ;P My OCD wants to organize it all MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 12, 2010

I always have to move items down shelves because I can never reach the high ones. Or even the low ones! I’m so short.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 12, 2010

I haven’t tried Oats in a Jar yet either…soon though, very soon :)

I wish someone would tackle my laundry room and my kitchen cupboards. They are used so frequently that I spend time organizing them only to have them back to square one within a few days. Sigh.

Krystina September 12, 2010

Isn’t TJ’s sunbutter amazing? It’s way better than any other brand I’ve had.

lynn September 12, 2010

I just recently organized my kitchen cupbaords. I buy a lot of bulk foods and grains. I have recently moved in the ever environmentaly friendly mason jar. They are perfect. Clear so I can see what is in them (but being a good organization freak I label the lids anyway). Easy to clean, inexpensive, come in a variety of sizes and just fun. depending on the itme I will cut the nutritional info off the package and put it in the the top of the jar, or write the info on the lid.. PERFECT…
now if only I knew what to do with that Maca??? I see it in your cupbaord too. I only tried it once in the VOO and so far … not liking it! any suggestions?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2010

Such a great idea about the mason jars. I recently saw another blogger do that. I think I might have to steal that idea for all my grains. Currently I have 50 pounds of lentils, quinoa, couscous, in huge bulk white pails, but I need something smaller to keep in the kitchen.

lynn September 12, 2010

oh I’ve got it bad doc!!! I even save my empty nut jars (after the voo now) and use them. and the lovely glass bottle that my maple syrup comes in gets repurposed with different flavourings, be they vanilla or apple cider vinigar… too pretty to through away and what is safer for me and the environment to use than glass? Admittedly sometimes it requires gettting out the Goo Gone to get the sticky label off but I don’t mind.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 12, 2010

ive done that recently with a few jam jars…it’s fun!! I eat VOO in it sometimes :)

Andrea September 12, 2010

I’m always reorganizing my kitchen, I find it gets disorganized too easily! I also still need to try OIAJ… I always forget and throw away the nearly-empty nut butter jars!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 12, 2010

I definitely need to organize my kitchen. There’s random stuff everywhere!

No doubt that VOO was ammmazing! I opened up some sunflower seed butter the other day. It’s the first “seed” butter I’ve had and it’s soo good!

The Wife of a Dairyman September 12, 2010

I’m envious of your cupboards! Mine do not look like that. Why is there never enough cupboard space. Maybe I should purge some items as well:)

Heather September 12, 2010

I have been following (I guess technically lurking) your blog for ages! I have decided to finally start my own blog and start actively following!! Yay!

We have a room in our house that I unfortunately call the “junk” room where sports equipment, camping gear and random stuff is tossed. I keep closing the door due to embarrassment and my boyfriend finally took the hint! It is currently being tackled and turned into an office. Phew!

Camille September 12, 2010

Confession: I have never have OIAJ! I guess the last of the jar always ends up on my fingers :)

christina cadden September 12, 2010

I need to organize my kitchen so bad. Good job!

Tina September 12, 2010

I would have to say our office…its going to have to turn into an office/guest room combo so our guest room can become baby #2 room. Yea, we may need to get on that. LOL

I cannot believe you’ve never had OIAJ. I really thought I’ve seen it on your blog before.

Danielle September 12, 2010

I need to re-organize my kitchen cabinet space underneath the counters… I never look forward to trying to access the pots & pans under there…

Charlie September 12, 2010

My kitchen cupboards do need some organizing too… there is so much stuff sometimes I come from the grocery store, and can’t make it fit :p. I actually have space but my cupboards are so high that I try to fit most of it on the shelve!

Emily September 12, 2010

My organizational overhaul would DEFINITELY be my bedroom/study. I would clean out my closet/drawers, make a much better organization system for my work/bills/books, and declutter the area for better reading and studying.

MoniMeals September 12, 2010

Angela! I also cleaned out my pantry/fridge yesterday, how funny! Is it not the best ever when you are done and cooking/baking is than so much more enjoyable. :)
I am so glad you tried the OIAJ, I only started about 1 month ago,hehe.
Thanks for the mention on Sightings and great Health Round Up once again, you are so good to us, keeping us in the loop of things!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 12, 2010

i would completely re-do our office…it’s such a mess! but i definitely have to get the hubby on board for that one since it’s mostly his stuff that makes it look like a wreck :)

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 12, 2010

I have bever had OIAJ but every time SI see them made they look so good! My commitment to eating low calories cringes at all that nut butter! If I could organize one room it would be my bed room I try to keep it neat but it needs a major overhaul/makeover I have more books than bookshelf space and the books are starting to overflow!

Gree September 12, 2010

I love the healthy round-up, great idea! And i have to try your pumpkin pie oats, they look amazing!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 12, 2010

oooh I must say that I am most excited about organising our kitchen when we move into our new house in a few months. Our pantry consists of 1 large cupboard, plus a smaller one beside it, and Mr BBB has said the smaller one can be dedicated 100% to my cooking / baking products :)

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 12, 2010

My closet and dresser need the most help. It is a never ending battle to get rid of old and make room for new. If only I had a Carrie Bradshaw’s closet… or maybe Rachel Zoe?

Sportsgirl September 12, 2010

Oh goodness, probably my kitchen too. We have such a small kitchen and so little cupboard space that everything is crammed full. I dream of the day I can open my cupboard and pick the item I need immediately rather than rummage through everything to find it. I honestly think that would require more cupboard space than an overhaul/cleanup though…..

Bee Goes Bananas September 12, 2010

I found your youtube site last night and watched a few of your videos. You are so sweet and your videos are amazing! I especially liked the one about your sugar-free week. Honestly, I NEED to do that! I’m a sugar addict. The only problem I have with eliminating sugar from my diet (brown sugar to be exact) is sweetening my oatmeal. I’ve tried peanut butter or honey, but I get bored of these and sometimes just need a bit of sugar. Do you have any other sugar-free sweetening ideas for oatmeal?

Sava September 12, 2010

I actually JUST organized my kitchen just a few days ago. It looks wonderful now. The back yard is next. Its pretty bad, but I’m making progress!

I’m planning on starting a vegetable garden back there so it’s gotta be in tip top shape!

Wei-Wei September 12, 2010

I’ve only had OIAJ *once* before, but I think it’s due sometime soon as well ;)

Amber K September 13, 2010

The office! My husband and I have lived in this apartment for over three years and still haven’t fully unpacked all of his stuff. It is in random boxes because I have no idea what to do with it and whenever I ask him he just says he’ll deal with it later. Somebody is a pack rat! ;)

Page 1 of 212»