All Is Well

Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait, it has been too long!

On Wednesday night, I went to make a batch of vegan overnight oats before bed and I realized that I was out of almond milk. It was almost midnight and I was so desperate I considered making almond milk from scratch and then Eric convinced me to stop being a crazed lunatic and go to bed.

Sometimes husbands know best.

Thursday morning, I awoke happy and then my heart sank when I realized I did not have any oats waiting for me.

However, the almond milk is now back baby! All is right in the world again.

20100903IMG 2105 thumb   All Is Well

Cherry-Blueberry Chocolate Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1.5 tbsp vega Chocolate Protein Powder (yum!!!)
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup cherries, chopped & pitted
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • cacao nibs, for garnish
  • Banana soft serve

Directions: The night before (or 1-2 hours before you want to eat) in a small bowl mix the oats, milk, protein powder, chia seeds, cherries, and blueberries in a bowl. Whisk well to get out clumps. In the morning, remove from fridge and layer in a glass with Banana soft serve (1 frozen banana processed until soft serve forms). Add toppings and enjoy!

20100903IMG 2125 thumb   All Is Well

This

20100903IMG 2107 thumb   All Is Well

was

20100903IMG 2109 thumb   All Is Well

amazing.

20100903IMG 2122 thumb   All Is Well

I have a ton of amazing health links for you to help pass the time before the long weekend! ;) Enjoy!

Health News Round Up:

Spotted:

Well, it is Friday and I am determined to get caught up by the long weekend.

One, two, three…break! Happy Friday :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 3, 2010

What kind of jar is that? I love that you eat VOO from a jar. Makes it more fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

It was a jam jar (President’s choice blueberry organic I believe!!)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices September 3, 2010

O.M.G. that looks incredible. I think you should package and sell these. I wish that was possible! Thanks for linking to me, have a wonderful weekend!

zestycook September 3, 2010

Cool looking oats…. I love how messy they are :) Thanks for the shout out on the Help The Students Event.

zest

Diana September 3, 2010

Thanks for the link love!

Those oats look amazing!!!!!!!!! :)

Have a great weekend sweetie!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 3, 2010

OMG I totally have done that at midnight – been so sad about the lack of almond milk that I end up wanting to make some and my husband tells me I am crazy. I keep unsweetened hemp milk for baking and sometimes break that out in an almond milk emergency. Because hemp milk is more expensive than almond milk, I don’t like to use it on a daily basis – plus I mainly use it for baking because it adds more body than almond milk – but in a VOO emergency, out comes the hemp milk (and the vanilla extract to cover up the hemp flavor LOL). I don’t bake often so the case of 4 hempmilks I order from Amazon takes a while to go through – I think I have two of those right now. Incidentally I tried to keep an emergency quart of almond milk, but I invariably end up using it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

thanks for the tip I will have to use hemp milk in baking!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 3, 2010

Hemp milk rocks for baking. I got the tip from Karina over at Gluten-Free Goddess.

I keep meaning to mention this in a comment – I finally bought Teflex sheets for the dehydrator, and I am so glad I did – they work like a charm. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 3, 2010

Haha…sometimes I get it into my head that I want to take on a crazy kitchen project late at night…my husband usually has to put his foot down too :-)

Your breakfast photos are always so beautiful!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 3, 2010

How do your VOO always look so freaking amazing?! Makes me want to invest in some gorgeous vases!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

psssst this time it was a jam jar! ;)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks September 3, 2010

Wow, so many amazing links, Angela! Thanks for putting that list together. The bean and herb salad from NYT looks particularly awesome.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 3, 2010

Angela that parfait looks glorious in that little jar!

I love all of the articles you posted — thanks for rounding them up for us!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 3, 2010

I love how the oats spill over the top of the jar.

Btw, How to you eat out of that jar? It looks quite narrow to be using a spoon.

I’ve written a grocery list, and I’m going to bake a couple of your sweet treats this weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

I forgot about the narrowness and i switched to my long spoon from crate & barrel :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 3, 2010

You seriously have the coolest jars. I’d probably just plop it all in a bowl and go.

Molly (Fuel Her Up) September 3, 2010

almond milk from scratch is soooo easy! If I can do it in my $19.99 blender, you can totally do it in the Vita :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 3, 2010

I hate when I run out of my favorite things, especially for breakfast.

Kristina @ spabettie September 3, 2010

you are so funny… I can totally see you, all wide eyed, standing in your kitchen thinking YES! let’s make almond milk!! :)

(That’s something I would do… ) ;)

looks delicious… I haven’t made VOO for a while…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

dont forget the evil cackle

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 3, 2010

I think I would have a panic attack if I didn’t have my almond milk!

Tina September 3, 2010

It is not a pretty picture when one of my staples runs out. I have certain things I love and look forward to too.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 3, 2010

Funny that you mention having no almond milk – I realized last night that I also wouldn’t have any for my chia breakfast pudding this AM. : ( Sometimes I ask the husband to do an almond milk run for me. That’s what husbands are (partially) for, right? : ) Beautiful photos of VOO! Have a great weekend!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 3, 2010

Happy Friday! And thanks for all the interesting reading material.

Allie September 3, 2010

It looks amazing!

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 3, 2010

Oh!!! My blog is on there!! Yay! Thank you!

I’m such a huge fan of overnight oats. I’m nearly out of almond milk and I always get SO sad when I forget to get more. My boyfriend gave up trying to talk me when I get crazy like that, it’s definitely not pretty.

If I knew how to make almond milk I would probably attempt it. But I can’t keep almonds in the house the boy always eats them all!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 3, 2010

I love the jar too! Have a fabulous long weekend! :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 3, 2010

Running out of almond milk is a huge fear of mine. I actually hoard it in my pantry for rainy days and buy it even when I have plenty. Thank goodness it stores well!

AngelaOSG September 3, 2010

I buy it in bulk by the case of 12 :)

Lauren @ 40Apples September 3, 2010

Yum! I love that jar! And yes, an almond milk void is NOT something I ever want to encounter. ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 3, 2010

I hardly ever eat overnight oats anymore but yours definitely makes me miss them!

Steph@stephsbitebybite September 3, 2010

I desperately wanna make my breakfast look like yours! Your parfaits always look so delicious! This is one reason I hate having to eat breakfast at work, because I miss out on making something like this :(

I think parfaits will have to become my special weekend treat!! Good thing today’s Friday :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 3, 2010

best.jar.ever. i am in love :)

thanks for linking back to Faces of Beauty girl!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 3, 2010

That looks yummy but I still haven’t tried overnight oats. The idea of cold oats is so weird to me!

AngelaOSG September 3, 2010

I used to think it sounded like the grossest thing in the world!

Kristy September 3, 2010

That parfait looks amazingly delicious!!! Almost too cute to eat! lol

Wei-Wei September 3, 2010

You always make breakfast so, so fun! Love the links. :)

Dee September 3, 2010

oh i love your health round up posts! they’re so informative!

ps. I’m SO trying your above recipe. Once I receive my order of Chia Seeds, at least. :)

chelseY September 3, 2010

I totally would have gone to the store for my almond milk. Luckily we have a store which is open really late right down the street, so I would have been all over that (or the husband would have gone on an emergency run for me.) I would have FREAKED!!!

Camille September 3, 2010

Breakfast looks amazing as always!
Have a great weekend :)

Kristy@ kristyruns.com September 3, 2010

I still need to try voo parfaits! Looks sooo good! :)
Thanks for the shout out, Angela!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 3, 2010

Ha, I love the bit about you wanting to make almond milk before bed and Eric telling your crazy self to go to bed!

Love the Overnight Oats! I’ll be making a batch this weekend!

Nicole (the other one) September 3, 2010

Am I the only nut-bag that cringes every time I see parfait dripping down the side. I know it’s supposed to look overflowing and indulgent, but I just want to go get some papertowels! I might need therapy….

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

hahaha I get this comment quite a bit, you aren’t alone.

Kait September 3, 2010

I was feeling the same way about missing my oatmeal last night and decided I was going to make hot oatmeal(because it’s comforting in the rainy weather) in a Pb & J parfait! It definitely hit the spot and was absolutely amazing! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 3, 2010

I know what you mean… once you get into a breakfast you really like, you don’t want anything else!

GFree_Miel September 3, 2010

That parfait looks so yummy! That’s definitely something I’ll be making when I’m at school and need a boost!

My friend Keri made your nut butter crusted fries and loved them! She blogged about it here: http://keribop.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/like-wine-fries-can-cure-anything/

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 3, 2010

Happy long weekend to you too!! :D :D

Hip, hip HURRAH for three days off in. a. row.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 3, 2010

You are the only blogger who has ever made me feel tempted to eat oats–yours always look so good!

And Amen to that husband thing. I only have a boyfriend and he is already really smart, so I can’t imagine how wise he will become if we ever get married!

Page 1 of 212»