All Is Well

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 3, 2010

Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait, it has been too long!

On Wednesday night, I went to make a batch of vegan overnight oats before bed and I realized that I was out of almond milk. It was almost midnight and I was so desperate I considered making almond milk from scratch and then Eric convinced me to stop being a crazed lunatic and go to bed.

Sometimes husbands know best.

Thursday morning, I awoke happy and then my heart sank when I realized I did not have any oats waiting for me.

However, the almond milk is now back baby! All is right in the world again.

20100903-IMG_2105

Cherry-Blueberry Chocolate Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1.5 tbsp vega Chocolate Protein Powder (yum!!!)
  • 1.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/3 cup cherries, chopped & pitted
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • cacao nibs, for garnish
  • Banana soft serve

Directions: The night before (or 1-2 hours before you want to eat) in a small bowl mix the oats, milk, protein powder, chia seeds, cherries, and blueberries in a bowl. Whisk well to get out clumps. In the morning, remove from fridge and layer in a glass with Banana soft serve (1 frozen banana processed until soft serve forms). Add toppings and enjoy!

20100903-IMG_2125

This

20100903-IMG_2107

was

20100903-IMG_2109

amazing.

20100903-IMG_2122

I have a ton of amazing health links for you to help pass the time before the long weekend! ;) Enjoy!

Health News Round Up:

Spotted:

Well, it is Friday and I am determined to get caught up by the long weekend.

One, two, three…break! Happy Friday :)

Jessica @ How Sweet September 3, 2010 at 7:48 am

What kind of jar is that? I love that you eat VOO from a jar. Makes it more fun!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 8:40 am

It was a jam jar (President’s choice blueberry organic I believe!!)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices September 3, 2010 at 7:50 am

O.M.G. that looks incredible. I think you should package and sell these. I wish that was possible! Thanks for linking to me, have a wonderful weekend!

zestycook September 3, 2010 at 7:51 am

Cool looking oats…. I love how messy they are :) Thanks for the shout out on the Help The Students Event.

zest

Diana September 3, 2010 at 7:57 am

Thanks for the link love!

Those oats look amazing!!!!!!!!! :)

Have a great weekend sweetie!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 3, 2010 at 7:58 am

OMG I totally have done that at midnight – been so sad about the lack of almond milk that I end up wanting to make some and my husband tells me I am crazy. I keep unsweetened hemp milk for baking and sometimes break that out in an almond milk emergency. Because hemp milk is more expensive than almond milk, I don’t like to use it on a daily basis – plus I mainly use it for baking because it adds more body than almond milk – but in a VOO emergency, out comes the hemp milk (and the vanilla extract to cover up the hemp flavor LOL). I don’t bake often so the case of 4 hempmilks I order from Amazon takes a while to go through – I think I have two of those right now. Incidentally I tried to keep an emergency quart of almond milk, but I invariably end up using it.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 8:41 am

thanks for the tip I will have to use hemp milk in baking!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 3, 2010 at 8:44 am

Hemp milk rocks for baking. I got the tip from Karina over at Gluten-Free Goddess.

I keep meaning to mention this in a comment – I finally bought Teflex sheets for the dehydrator, and I am so glad I did – they work like a charm. :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 3, 2010 at 8:15 am

Haha…sometimes I get it into my head that I want to take on a crazy kitchen project late at night…my husband usually has to put his foot down too :-)

Your breakfast photos are always so beautiful!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 3, 2010 at 8:18 am

How do your VOO always look so freaking amazing?! Makes me want to invest in some gorgeous vases!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 8:41 am

psssst this time it was a jam jar! ;)

Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks September 3, 2010 at 8:19 am

Wow, so many amazing links, Angela! Thanks for putting that list together. The bean and herb salad from NYT looks particularly awesome.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 3, 2010 at 8:25 am

Angela that parfait looks glorious in that little jar!

I love all of the articles you posted — thanks for rounding them up for us!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 3, 2010 at 8:29 am

I love how the oats spill over the top of the jar.

Btw, How to you eat out of that jar? It looks quite narrow to be using a spoon.

I’ve written a grocery list, and I’m going to bake a couple of your sweet treats this weekend!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 8:42 am

I forgot about the narrowness and i switched to my long spoon from crate & barrel :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 3, 2010 at 8:31 am

You seriously have the coolest jars. I’d probably just plop it all in a bowl and go.

Molly (Fuel Her Up) September 3, 2010 at 8:33 am

almond milk from scratch is soooo easy! If I can do it in my $19.99 blender, you can totally do it in the Vita :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 3, 2010 at 8:37 am

I hate when I run out of my favorite things, especially for breakfast.

Kristina @ spabettie September 3, 2010 at 8:41 am

you are so funny… I can totally see you, all wide eyed, standing in your kitchen thinking YES! let’s make almond milk!! :)

(That’s something I would do… ) ;)

looks delicious… I haven’t made VOO for a while…

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 8:43 am

dont forget the evil cackle

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 3, 2010 at 8:42 am

I think I would have a panic attack if I didn’t have my almond milk!

Tina September 3, 2010 at 8:45 am

It is not a pretty picture when one of my staples runs out. I have certain things I love and look forward to too.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 3, 2010 at 8:58 am

Funny that you mention having no almond milk – I realized last night that I also wouldn’t have any for my chia breakfast pudding this AM. : ( Sometimes I ask the husband to do an almond milk run for me. That’s what husbands are (partially) for, right? : ) Beautiful photos of VOO! Have a great weekend!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 3, 2010 at 9:11 am

Happy Friday! And thanks for all the interesting reading material.

Allie September 3, 2010 at 9:11 am

It looks amazing!

[email protected] ReshapeYourLife September 3, 2010 at 9:13 am

Oh!!! My blog is on there!! Yay! Thank you!

I’m such a huge fan of overnight oats. I’m nearly out of almond milk and I always get SO sad when I forget to get more. My boyfriend gave up trying to talk me when I get crazy like that, it’s definitely not pretty.

If I knew how to make almond milk I would probably attempt it. But I can’t keep almonds in the house the boy always eats them all!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 3, 2010 at 9:27 am

I love the jar too! Have a fabulous long weekend! :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 3, 2010 at 9:39 am

Running out of almond milk is a huge fear of mine. I actually hoard it in my pantry for rainy days and buy it even when I have plenty. Thank goodness it stores well!

AngelaOSG September 3, 2010 at 10:48 am

I buy it in bulk by the case of 12 :)

Lauren @ 40Apples September 3, 2010 at 10:01 am

Yum! I love that jar! And yes, an almond milk void is NOT something I ever want to encounter. ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 3, 2010 at 10:07 am

I hardly ever eat overnight oats anymore but yours definitely makes me miss them!

[email protected] September 3, 2010 at 10:18 am

I desperately wanna make my breakfast look like yours! Your parfaits always look so delicious! This is one reason I hate having to eat breakfast at work, because I miss out on making something like this :(

I think parfaits will have to become my special weekend treat!! Good thing today’s Friday :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

best.jar.ever. i am in love :)

thanks for linking back to Faces of Beauty girl!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 3, 2010 at 10:31 am

That looks yummy but I still haven’t tried overnight oats. The idea of cold oats is so weird to me!

AngelaOSG September 3, 2010 at 10:47 am

I used to think it sounded like the grossest thing in the world!

Kristy September 3, 2010 at 10:54 am

That parfait looks amazingly delicious!!! Almost too cute to eat! lol

Wei-Wei September 3, 2010 at 11:38 am

You always make breakfast so, so fun! Love the links. :)

Dee September 3, 2010 at 11:39 am

oh i love your health round up posts! they’re so informative!

ps. I’m SO trying your above recipe. Once I receive my order of Chia Seeds, at least. :)

chelseY September 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

I totally would have gone to the store for my almond milk. Luckily we have a store which is open really late right down the street, so I would have been all over that (or the husband would have gone on an emergency run for me.) I would have FREAKED!!!

Camille September 3, 2010 at 11:46 am

Breakfast looks amazing as always!
Have a great weekend :)

[email protected] kristyruns.com September 3, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I still need to try voo parfaits! Looks sooo good! :)
Thanks for the shout out, Angela!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 3, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Ha, I love the bit about you wanting to make almond milk before bed and Eric telling your crazy self to go to bed!

Love the Overnight Oats! I’ll be making a batch this weekend!

Nicole (the other one) September 3, 2010 at 1:27 pm

Am I the only nut-bag that cringes every time I see parfait dripping down the side. I know it’s supposed to look overflowing and indulgent, but I just want to go get some papertowels! I might need therapy….

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010 at 4:18 pm

hahaha I get this comment quite a bit, you aren’t alone.

Kait September 3, 2010 at 1:42 pm

I was feeling the same way about missing my oatmeal last night and decided I was going to make hot oatmeal(because it’s comforting in the rainy weather) in a Pb & J parfait! It definitely hit the spot and was absolutely amazing! :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 3, 2010 at 2:15 pm

I know what you mean… once you get into a breakfast you really like, you don’t want anything else!

GFree_Miel September 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

That parfait looks so yummy! That’s definitely something I’ll be making when I’m at school and need a boost!

My friend Keri made your nut butter crusted fries and loved them! She blogged about it here: http://keribop.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/like-wine-fries-can-cure-anything/

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 3, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Happy long weekend to you too!! :D :D

Hip, hip HURRAH for three days off in. a. row.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 3, 2010 at 3:28 pm

You are the only blogger who has ever made me feel tempted to eat oats–yours always look so good!

And Amen to that husband thing. I only have a boyfriend and he is already really smart, so I can’t imagine how wise he will become if we ever get married!

Allison September 3, 2010 at 3:39 pm

The happiest of mornings can be saddend when there are no oats:( I didnt have any bananas last night so i subbed apple sauce, still good but not the same:( Must buy bananas and more steel cut oats!!!

Have a great weekend:)

Shannon, Tropical Eats September 3, 2010 at 3:50 pm

these look great as usual :) Happy Friday Ang! enjoy the long weekend ahead wahoooo

MoniMeals September 3, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Hi Angela! Thank you for the health round up, I just love it! Have a great weekend. Your parfait looks far too perfect to eat! :) I hate when we run out of almond milk!

Liza (Health Nutting) September 3, 2010 at 4:22 pm

You have the most aesthetic breakfasts hands down! YUM!

[email protected] September 3, 2010 at 4:46 pm

when i tried out these parfaits for the first time i was totally blown away. i made a banana blackberry carob one for my mom a few breakfasts ago and she couldnt stop telling me “i cant believe this is healthy!!” we’re gonna make them next summer when we have a backyard party. i think theyll be perfect as an afternoon treat <3

xoxo

Kate September 3, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I had a parfait for breakfast too this morning! You’ve got me totally hooked. Today I made the banana soft serve with cocoa powder and almond butter mixed in… mmmm it was fantastic. Yours looks so pretty! I need to get some cuter drinking glasses or something, mine are ugly and my parfaits always look so boring, haha.

*Andrea* September 3, 2010 at 5:08 pm

i missed your wedding anniversary post the other day – was traveling for work – and just wnated to say happy anniversary! you were a STUNNING bride and you are so beautiful today too, inside and out! i really hope i can grow to have your confidence and self esteem because it is so beautiful :)

yummy bfast! those apple cupcakes looked great too!

Danielle September 3, 2010 at 5:24 pm

This looks like a layered ice cream sundae here :)

Kristen @That Hoosier Girl September 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yummmm! Your overnight oats parfait looks like something out of a magazine!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 3, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I hate it when I want to make something, only to find out I don’t have a certain ingredient! But I guess it makes it more special when you finally get that ingredient to make it! :D

Gina @ Gina Eats Beans September 3, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I don’t have a food processor yet but once my husband and I move into our new house that is one of the first things I want. The first thing I plan on making is definitely Vegan Overnight Oats Parfait! I already make the overnight oats and I drool everytime you post pics of your parfait. I love that you served it in a glass jar!

Lin September 4, 2010 at 12:59 am

Yay my blog is listed! All of my friends want to try your salt and vinegar chick pea recipe. It’s so easy yet so tasty :-).

Ashley Davidson September 4, 2010 at 9:08 am

Thanks for yet another fantastic recipe. I LOVE overnight oats and cannot stop talking about them with my hubby and all my non-vegan friends. They think I am insane, but seriously, i’d rather eat one of those parfaits of yours than a big hunk of fatty chocolate cake (ok, well, most of the time anyways). Keep up the great work. Your food-love is inspiring!

Sava September 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I loved the links!
Especially the ones that were lists, like “5 reasons…” etc.
Thanks :)

Kristen September 4, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I feel like the only thing I ever write is that looks good or I want to try that, but everything on here looks awesome including that.