How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

20100829IMG 1664 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

This was a REALLY tough one to guess!

20100829IMG 1665 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Apple cupcakes.

20100829IMG 1660 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I saw this idea in one of Martha’s magazines at my sister’s place and I knew I had to make them immediately! All I could think about was how much kids would enjoy these fun apple ‘cupcakes’.

20100829IMG 1652 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Or 27 year old kids. ;)

Apple Cupcakes

Adapted from Martha.

Ingredients:

Directions: Core apple and cut in half. Place apple cut side up and add a layer of nut butter, cobbler, and coconut on one half. On the other half add a big scoop of ‘icing’ (aka pudding!) and then cobbler and coconut. If making a bunch for a party, serve in jumbo muffin liners on a serving tray.

20100829IMG 1656 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I had my apple cupcakes with 2/3 of a not-yet-existing Glo bar.

20100829IMG 1657 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I looooooved this cupcake idea. So fun. Can’t you just see these at a kids birthday party or at a baby shower?

20100829IMG 1667 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

And of course the topping ideas are endless! Nut butter, pudding, granola, yogurt, VOO, etc!

20100829IMG 1668 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

After digesting, I hit the road for a short and sweet 5k run.

run5k thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

A great run and it was over before I knew it began.

How often do you replace your running shoes?

Over the past few weeks I have been suspecting that I need to order another pair of running shoes. I searched online for information on when to replace them because I wasn’t really sure! In the past, I have simply replaced them when they got really, really worn down or holes in them, but even though my Brooks sneakers are currently still intact I have noticed that they don’t feel the same anymore and don’t have the same support.

How did I know this? Because lately I have been tying my shoelaces tighter and tighter just to obtain the support I need and I never had to do this before. I have also noticed a few aches and pains in my foot that I never had previously.

I found an article on Running.about.com and it says that you should replace your runners every 300-400 miles (other articles say 300-550 or every 3-6 months, so it varies a lot!). I did a quick tally of my mileage since I bought the shoes mid-March and I have run over 310 miles on these sneakers. It has been exactly 6 months too!

I run outdoors which is harder on shoes and I also run on rougher terrain at times (gravel and lots of hills/declines); both of these factors can wear your shoes down faster.

There are also lots of tests you can do on your sneakers to check for wear and tear (found here).

So it looks like all signs point to ordering a new pair ASAP! What better excuse to gather up all our old sneakers and donate them to a good cause too.

I think it is important to keep in mind that the above articles are simply recommendations and rules of thumb. It is always important to listen to how your body feels most importantly and trust your gut.

How often do you replace your sneakers?

JL Goes Vegan August 30, 2010

I buy two pairs of the same model of running shoes (different colors) and I swamp them for each run. That way they can dry out (sweat in the summer, snow in the winter, rain in the spring) I buy two new pair each spring. It’s been working for me.

Lindsey Graham August 30, 2010

I liked to your post from fitsugar and I was like I know ohsheglows haha : ) Those cupcakes are fantastic!! As for the runners, I am on my third pair this year. My first ones were due for a change because of mileage (trained for a 1/2), the second ones caused me some knee pain much to my dismay and not enough support for my high arch and my lastest ones have logged about 350km so they should last a bit longer. I don’t really go by a mileage formula. I use more of a foot pain barometer because I have an old fracture in my foot that tells me when the cushion starts to wear down. Cold winters don’t seem to be as forgiving on runners either… I don’t think they test them in -20 runs : )

jane August 30, 2010

love the apple ‘cupcakes’ I thought they might be good using peaches/nectarines …..?
Running shoew I went for a running analysis and they suggested 300-400 miles but to buy next pair about 50 miles before changeover so as to break them in .I love getting the new ones going !

Katie August 30, 2010

Angela!!! These look delish as ever! how yummy! I bet they would be yummy too with the protein pumpkin pudding in them!!!!!!!!!!!

Halley (Blunder Construction) August 30, 2010

I replace my sneakers whenever I start to wonder if I should, usually my bones tell me when they aren’t getting the right support anymore! I think I will start rotating between two pairs though, to make each last a little longer.

Also, I just heard this today and I thought you would enjoy: “Why do many runners pick up the pace towards the end of a run? The horse smells the barn.”

I’m sure many of us can identify with that notion!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 30, 2010

I usually replace my shoes based on how they “feel”– I usually start to get more muscle aches and foot pain when I need to replace my shoes! It also usually happens to fall around the 6-month mark for me, too! I’m in a new pair of Brooks running shoes right now, and I love them!!

I actually save my “older” pair of running shoes at my mom’s house for when I visit– it’s a pain to lug multiple pairs of shoes when I travel, so having a pair of running shoes already there makes working out easier when I’m there!

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 30, 2010

aw how cute are they, they look yummy!

erin m. @ {{well in l.a.}} August 30, 2010

Yum! Can’t wait to try the pumpkin pudding. Have you seen/tried the TJ’s pumpkin butter? It would be an awesome topping to get the pumpkin flavor if there’s no time for the pudding! Beware, the stuff is highly addictive :) Thanks for the recipe idea!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 30, 2010

Those “cupcakes” are too cute- I love!! I just replaced a pair of shoes I’ve had since January. Even though I’ve taken a hiatus from running these last few months, I still wear them a lot and my funky stride really wears them down!

Michal August 30, 2010

I got my first pair of running shoes in tenth grade when I started track. I’m 25 and I just replaced them!
Have you ever had trouble with them loosening themselves while you run? I can’t seem to get my right foot tight enough, and to stay tight enough….

Natalie August 30, 2010

Those are the cutest little things!

I used to work at a running store. The general rule is that you should replace them every year if you run about ten miles a week. If you run significantly more, like twenty or so miles a week, you should replace them every six months.

It’s not good to wait until they’re totally sad looking and falling apart to replace them. For a lot of people that leads to shin splints and other common injuries and they don’t even realize it.

Amelia August 30, 2010

Those cupcakes put a huge smile on my face! I can just hear what the friends will say when I make them…

I’m ashamed to admit it – but I’m going almost a year on my current runners! How bad is that!? (oh and I run almost every day!) Lately, I’ve started having weird pains in my back and hips.. do you think that could be from the lack of support?

Love the blog!

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 30, 2010

Hey there i made your Fudgy Brownies at the wknd, i blogged about them and posted the recipe, i gave you full credit and linked back to your post about them, i hope you dont mind, check it out if you like! thanks sharing such a lovely recipe!! x

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 30, 2010

Those are so cute, and the best part is it’s so easy to make. Running shoes, I really need to replace mine I wear them far too long.

AGS August 30, 2010

I am very careful to purchase running shoes on a regular basis. I’ve had some pain in my hip (and now heel) of my left leg, and I find that running shoes that are in good shape are imperative to avoiding this pain.

It’s pretty easy to estimate when you need new sneakers:
1. Estimate your miles for a month
Example: When I’m in good running form, I run about 24 miles/week, so that’s about 100/month.
2. Estimate your sneakers’ “age”: 100 miles = youth; 300 miles = middle age; 600 miles = geriatric
Example: If I want to replace my shoes at 300-400 miles (because I have some hip issues), I need to replace them every 4th month.
3. Adjust your estimate for terrain and other factors (inserts):
Example: In the winter I run indoors on the treadmill, and I use very good inserts (which I sometimes replace prior to the sneaker itself), so that adds about 1-2 months on to sneakers’ longevity. So, I can replace them every 5-6 months.

This has worked for me for some time — it might work as a “cheat” on figuring out when to replace your sneakers.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker August 30, 2010

Love the apple cupcakes! They’re so cute, too. What a great idea for a healthy snack. And I’d say it’s time for new shoes. Usually when I need them, I can just feel it. A little less bounce in my step. We like to rotate our shoes. We get like two pairs and wear them every other run. Works out pretty well . . .

karen August 30, 2010

those apple cupcakes look so yummy !!

to answer your question – for me the sign to change my running shoes is a pain in one of my knee – meaning the support inside is worn down (even if the outside looks “perfect”) – I need extra support and when I start to feel the pain I know I need to change them- (once a year when i started running) – the shoes I have now ran with me 2 half and the trainnings + all summer so I think I might change them before winter.

thanks for you great recipes…

Chelsea at Striking Balance August 30, 2010

Yum those apple cupcakes look great! So creative!

I replace my running shoes about once every year to year and a half…I should replace them sooner though! I figure since I don’t actually run in them that often, they are probably okay. Even though I do still workout in them about 5 days a week, it is never usually high impact.

Betty August 30, 2010

I’ve heard 500 miles or 6 months also. I know it’s time for me to buy new ones. I ran 7.5 miles on Saturday and I could tell a huge difference in the support. I also have noticed that I have to tie my shoes tighter and tighter to keep them tied.

Melissa August 30, 2010

Funny you should post this now — I JUST bought new runners. I felt the same way; the old ones weren’t completely falling apart, but the support just isn’t there. Got a new pair of Asics from the Running Room — they are fabulous! Took them out for a run last night.

Ohhh how I love your blog!

Gillian August 30, 2010

I had something like this last night to break my fast (I’m a muslim and it’s the holy month of Ramadan) . But, as a filling, I melted some chocolate chips with coconut oil, mixed in chia seeds, coconut, crunchy peanut butter and a bit of oatmeal to make it thick. It was delicous and I’m going to try the same mixture on a banana tonight as a snack. :)

Shelby Stidham August 30, 2010

Very creative but perhaps not that aesthetically appealing? :)

Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 30, 2010

I try to replace my running shoes every 300 miles or 6 months – but sometimes I have to do it sooner. You can just tell when they’re wearing away or when your feet start to hurt. Time to re-up!

Sara Stainbrook August 30, 2010

LOVE those apple cupcakes! So cute and fun… and what a great project to do with little ones to get them in the kitchen!

As for replacing running shoes, In the past I always traded ‘em in every 6 months or so. But this last time around I got a new pair and some vibrams and have found that I actually enjoy running in the older pair better! The newer ones have way to much cushion especially after running in the Vibrams too!

Emily August 30, 2010

I LOVE the cupcakes! What a fun thing to do with kids too. I always go to the running store and have them tell me if my shoes are done. Like someone else mentioned, they will try and bend them backwards (toe to shoe laces) and if they go 90 degrees or more they’re done. One time I went and they told me my shoes were okay, I just needed an insert. They were right, no aches after that. I wear Brooks too. I heard they only make running shoes so its their only focus which is neat.

Kelly August 30, 2010

Sadly I replace mine way too frequently. I haven’t yet decided (even after 2 years of running) what “my perfect shoe” is! I’ve made it to at least 200 on this last pair, so I don’t feel too bad about it.

larinna August 30, 2010

WOW! These look amazing! Finding a delicious healthy sweet snack is always hard, but I cant wait to try this recipe.

-Larinna
iheartspandex.com

Shawna August 31, 2010

OMG! These look devine, healthy and you are totally right – the perfect treat for kids and adults ;) I will definitely be posting on my blog to share with my friends. We are constantly sharing great healthy recipe ideas. Thanks for sharing!

sarah marie August 31, 2010

I buy new shoes every 300 to 400 miles. Shoes have gotten so much better in the last 4 years even. It used to be 300 miles max. Which in college I blew through two pairs a summer. If you have the budget (and you run everyday) it’s best to rotate your shoes. But that’s posh running or for the elites. I actually just bought my new standbys, the Sauncony Triumph 7s, again yesterday.

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 31, 2010

Love those different versions of cupcakes, yum!

I usually know when it’s time to replace my shoes, because my knees start telling me so. Usually around 300-400 miles. I just bought a new pair due to the fact I was in another shoe, a stability shoe, Asics Kayano and my knee was actually hurting, so I went back to my trusty Asics Gel Nimbus, a neutral shoe and wah-la, no more pain! Woohoo!

Kait September 1, 2010

The apple cupcakes are such a cute and fun idea! I just moved into my college over the weekend and have taken a lot of your great recipes (such as VOO :) ) with me! I can’t wait to try these this week!

Ellen@FirednFabulous September 1, 2010

This.is.GENIUS. Even though you can’t take all the credit, yours looks FAB. What a great idea. I’m totally game for anything that involves cupcakes…even if it’s just in the name :) I replace my running shoes once a year, and sometimes I even go longer! I have flat feet, and I can always tell when I need a new pair when my arches start hurting. If I wasn’t so broke, I’d probably get a new pair every 8-9 months.

Jessica@tastyandtrim September 1, 2010

Love the idea of apple cupcakes! Definitely going to give those a try!

cheryl September 5, 2010

I usually replace when I can tell they are not performing any more, right now I am very heavy and my feet kill me just going on long walks and on my Gazelle Edge, I need some thing to cushion my feet, I just bought a pair of Asics gel. I had read they are really good, however the ones I bout are the less expensive model and they are a great shoe, just not at my 250 pounds. Can some one tell me what to get,? I would walk much longer and further if my feet did not hurt, cost is a factor to since I am not working due to an extended illness. Please help size 9 ladies.!!

Morrita September 5, 2010

Great idea!….Never thought about it before. Hmmmm

Amykinz September 10, 2010

I have issues with the arches of my feet cramping up when I’m exercising. Does anyone know why? Is it my shoes? It’s really frustrating!

tasha - The Clean Eating Mama September 13, 2010

What a fun and simple recipe! I love eating apples and nut butter together. The perfect combo!

Kelly April 5, 2013

I replace my running shoes when my knees or ankles start to bother me & sure enough it’s about every 3-4 months. I’ve also been told that even while not being used the support breaks down and that’s why buying several pair if they are on sale & saving them for 3-6 months isn’t a good idea. Also I have found over many years of running that a good running shoe does not need to be broken in. I can go out & run 6 miles on a brand new shoe without a problem.

http://www.banketto.com/ April 23, 2013

hey there and thank you for your information – I have definitely
picked up something new from right here. I did however expertise some technical issues using this site, since I experienced
to reload the site lots of times previous to I could get it to load properly.
I had been wondering if your web host is OK? Not that I’m complaining, but sluggish loading instances times will sometimes affect your placement in google and could damage your high quality score if ads and marketing with Adwords. Well I’m adding this RSS to my e-mail and could look out for much more of your respective
exciting content. Ensure that you update this again very soon.

Chloe December 5, 2014

I had read a comment stating they are a little hard to get on and off when new, but it gets easier. that is correct. Otherwise, they are comfortable, warm and very cute with jeans.

Page 3 of 3«123