Back In The Kitchen

Good morning!

Last night was filled with email catch-up, unpacking, laundry, and finally the most recent Lie To Me episode! A nice mixture of work and play.

I realized that I forgot to show you a few of my favourite pictures of the trip! These pictures were taken by Eric on Friday night when he went out to explore the city.

20100813-IMG_0204

I forgot to mention, but the Congress Hotel that we stayed at is supposedly haunted! I will verify that while I am not a ghost believer, I did hear the ghosts on Saturday night at 2am. It wasn’t pretty.

20100813-IMG_0192

The gorgeous fountain near the hotel is below. At night they play classical music and the fountain changes colour according to the song. Eric and I went there one night and just sat by the bench and it was so romantic.

20100813-IMG_0194

20100813-IMG_0195

20100813-IMG_0198

I love this picture below so much. It looks straight out of a movie or something.

20100813-IMG_0201

20100813-IMG_0202

And now for my first homemade breakfast in a week. I was waiting for this moment to get back in my kitchen. Nothing beats it. I can’t wait to start creating recipes again.

Eric was looking forward to his beloved Nature’s Path Raisin Bran cereal too! :) He has already had it twice since we got home. He says it is his ‘comfort food’, lol.

First things first, we lost an hour of sleep last night with the time change, so I needed to pull out all the stops today.

Meet my newest tea love:

20100819-IMG_0499

This would be Samurai Chai Mate loose leaf tea from Teaopia. It tastes SO good. It basically tastes like Fall in a cup. A bit spicy, a bit cinnamon flavoured, and super comforting. I know you probably don’t want to hear the word Fall right now, but trust me when I say this is the perfect Fall tea. No sweetener or milk is required for it to taste amazing either.

20100819-IMG_0487 20100819-IMG_0488

The salesman told me that it has as much caffeine as coffee! I knew this would be a perfect tea for those mornings when I need an extra boost.

20100819-IMG_0501

I definitely had tons of energy after drinking a cup! I am almost bouncing off the walls- but in a good way. ;)

20100819-IMG_0485

I chose Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats for the first breakfast at home. (PS- I have now added this recipe on my Recipes page, sorry I did not put it up last week).

20100819-IMG_0489

Loved using my new wooden twig spoon from Anthropologie!

20100819-IMG_0491

20100819-IMG_0493

I topped the pumpkin VOO with some swag bag food- Barney Butter and cranberries.

Oh Barney, it has been WAY TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!

20100819-IMG_0496

For some reason, I don’t remember coming across the Barney Butter in Chicago! It is probably best that I don’t have it in the house though….

20100819-IMG_0484

20100819-IMG_0498

Work beckons me. I think I am in the hole about 500 Glo bars at this point. Luckily I have the Samurai tea in me today. :)

20100819-IMG_0483

As my dad always says, ‘Another Day, Another Dollar!’

Today is a ‘rest’ day off exercise for me. I missed my 10 mile long run while I was away on vacation so I am hoping to squeeze it in the next couple days.

Enjoy your day. :)

Page 2 of 2«12
Becky @ whitehairedveg August 25, 2010

First – I just recently came across your site and I love it! I plan to spend a lot of time here.
Second – Your posts make me crave hot tea so much! I need to try loose leaf tea and kick the bag habit.
Third – I’d love to hear about your ghostly experience. I’m not sure if I believe in ghosts – but I’m fascinated by the idea of them. Not that I ever want to meet one…

Amanda August 20, 2010

You were in my dream last night, too! I made your patty pan squash recipe last night (delicious, by the way) and saw all your Chicago pictures (I live here!). We were on some kind of road trip in my dream, and you offered me a Glo bar. It was the most delicious thing I’ve ever had. I guess that means I need to order some as I’ve been drooling over them for months!

I love all of yours and Eric’s pics of Chicago. When I read you were on the way to my city, I knew your photos would be stunning. I’m so happy you enjoyed it and also found some vegan restaurants. I haven’t even heard of some of those, so I definitely have them on my list!

Good luck with all the orders!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 19, 2010

Mmm I’m always on the lookout for good chai teas! I’ve tried so many, but I still haven’t found a favourite yet.

Christine August 19, 2010

Just yesterday I was looking for that recipe on your page! No worries, because I found it with the search. Funny though!

Wei-Wei August 19, 2010

Loving the spoon! Good luck with the baking :)

Leah August 19, 2010

Hi Angela! Just wanted to say, I really enjoy reading your blog. I’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I love your energy. It seems like you really try to make the most out of life. I have a side question also – have you reached the point with your bakery where it’s a genuine viable business? Have you started seeing profits yet? I just ask because I know a lot of small businesses take several years to start breaking even.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 19, 2010

Enjoy being back in the kitchen and back to your own tasty food.

Lori August 19, 2010

Love that twig spoon! Super cute- and the oats look tasty… as always! ;)

The congress hotel looks beautiful, such great pictures and colors. Fun!

Jaclyn T August 19, 2010

You need to tell us your spooky stories! I love hearing about ghostly encounters (that others have, haha).

What’s Barney Butter?

Oh, today I made THREE of your recipes (with a few changes, b/c I can never just let a recipe “be”): healthy spelt chocolate cake, crackers, and “energize me” fruit dip….wow, they are all so yummy! :)

Lisa August 19, 2010

oooh that tea sounds perfect for those mornings when you need an extra ‘pick me up’ :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 19, 2010

Um, so I’m drooling over that breakfast. :) and I love the spoon! I know you showed them earlier, but it looks super cool when put to use!

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 19, 2010

Gorgeous pictures of the city! Those oats look delicious- they are a must-try!

Sana August 19, 2010

I love coming back from vacation and settling back into my normal routine. And then I constantly flip through my pictures feeling depressed. Story of my summer.

Heather August 19, 2010

love that cup mug!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 19, 2010

I really want to try Pumpkin Pie Oats but I can’t find canned pumpkin anywhere this time of the year. Yours looks SO good though. I’ll keep looking but I think I might need to wait a bit more until it’s the right season.

Good luck on your Glo Bars!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 19, 2010

Love those pictures! Haunted hotel is kinda creepy. I totally believe in ghosts so that would really freak me out! I know that feeling of being back in your own kitchen after being away. All your favorite foods and being able to make what you want, when you want it, and how you want it. Eating out is fun but its nice to have some control over your food too!

Erin @ A Girl and Her Mutt August 19, 2010

I love the new fork and spoon. Lovely!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 19, 2010

I don’t mind hearing the word “fall” here. It has been such a long, hot summer that I can’t wait for that cool, crisp air to come!

Shanna, like Banana August 19, 2010

Were you able to pick up Pumpkin Butter from TJs? I didn’t see it your stock pile ;)

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 19, 2010

Oh wow that fountain is so amazing! Also, nice run. Congrats on that mileage!

Jes (Self Motivation) August 19, 2010

I finished Eat, Love, Pray this weekend and saw the movie last night with a friend who is actually from Italy. I thought the movie did a pretty good job of staying with the book. Bali was where I felt the movie deviated the most, but overall I enjoyed the movie. I think I picked up on little things in the movie because I read the book, but naturally I don’t know if that is really true. Julia Roberts was great! I hope you enjoy it.

Lana August 19, 2010

Those oats look delicious!! I love the way cranberries just make food ‘pop’!! Hope you have a productive day being a busy bee!!

Callie August 19, 2010

Those pictures look awesome. :)
It always feels good to be back in your own kitchen after a long vacation.

Little Bookworm August 19, 2010

For some reason the photos do not show up? I am sure they are fantastic though, and hope you have a good day! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 19, 2010