Back In The Kitchen

Good morning!

Last night was filled with email catch-up, unpacking, laundry, and finally the most recent Lie To Me episode! A nice mixture of work and play.

I realized that I forgot to show you a few of my favourite pictures of the trip! These pictures were taken by Eric on Friday night when he went out to explore the city.

20100813-IMG_0204

I forgot to mention, but the Congress Hotel that we stayed at is supposedly haunted! I will verify that while I am not a ghost believer, I did hear the ghosts on Saturday night at 2am. It wasn’t pretty.

20100813-IMG_0192

The gorgeous fountain near the hotel is below. At night they play classical music and the fountain changes colour according to the song. Eric and I went there one night and just sat by the bench and it was so romantic.

20100813-IMG_0194

20100813-IMG_0195

20100813-IMG_0198

I love this picture below so much. It looks straight out of a movie or something.

20100813-IMG_0201

20100813-IMG_0202

And now for my first homemade breakfast in a week. I was waiting for this moment to get back in my kitchen. Nothing beats it. I can’t wait to start creating recipes again.

Eric was looking forward to his beloved Nature’s Path Raisin Bran cereal too! :) He has already had it twice since we got home. He says it is his ‘comfort food’, lol.

First things first, we lost an hour of sleep last night with the time change, so I needed to pull out all the stops today.

Meet my newest tea love:

20100819-IMG_0499

This would be Samurai Chai Mate loose leaf tea from Teaopia. It tastes SO good. It basically tastes like Fall in a cup. A bit spicy, a bit cinnamon flavoured, and super comforting. I know you probably don’t want to hear the word Fall right now, but trust me when I say this is the perfect Fall tea. No sweetener or milk is required for it to taste amazing either.

20100819-IMG_0487 20100819-IMG_0488

The salesman told me that it has as much caffeine as coffee! I knew this would be a perfect tea for those mornings when I need an extra boost.

20100819-IMG_0501

I definitely had tons of energy after drinking a cup! I am almost bouncing off the walls- but in a good way. ;)

20100819-IMG_0485

I chose Pumpkin Pie Vegan Overnight Oats for the first breakfast at home. (PS- I have now added this recipe on my Recipes page, sorry I did not put it up last week).

20100819-IMG_0489

Loved using my new wooden twig spoon from Anthropologie!

20100819-IMG_0491

20100819-IMG_0493

I topped the pumpkin VOO with some swag bag food- Barney Butter and cranberries.

Oh Barney, it has been WAY TOO LONG!!!!!!!!!

20100819-IMG_0496

For some reason, I don’t remember coming across the Barney Butter in Chicago! It is probably best that I don’t have it in the house though….

20100819-IMG_0484

20100819-IMG_0498

Work beckons me. I think I am in the hole about 500 Glo bars at this point. Luckily I have the Samurai tea in me today. :)

20100819-IMG_0483

As my dad always says, ‘Another Day, Another Dollar!’

Today is a ‘rest’ day off exercise for me. I missed my 10 mile long run while I was away on vacation so I am hoping to squeeze it in the next couple days.

Enjoy your day. :)

1 Jessica @ How Sweet August 19, 2010

500 bars! Eeeeek. Get crack ‘a lackin’! :) Have a great day Ange!

2 Amanda August 19, 2010

Have fun in the kitchen! I bet your refreshed and ready to start baking!

3 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 19, 2010

Mm that tea sounds good! I’m ready for fall to be here :-) You’re so lucky your job is located in your kitchen!

4 Ameena August 19, 2010

I love that fountain in Chicago…it was made famous by Married With Children I think. I made it a point to seek it out during my first trip there and thought it was so beautiful!

Good luck getting caught up on everything today!

5 JenATX August 19, 2010

While you work on those bars, I’ll be pounding out this memo at work! Sometimes when I have a lot to do I like to think about other people working just as hard as me, helps my mind stay motivated :)

6 Leanne August 19, 2010

That Tea looks delicious! Yummy!!

The pictures from your trip were absolutely beautiful, travelling to Chicago has been added to my “bucket list” :)

7 Chelsea at Striking Balance August 19, 2010

Yum those VOO look soo good. I love having the VOO/banana soft serve parfaits in the morning. Tastes so indulgent, but is full of good for you stuff!

I can’t wait to try the pumpkin version. Too bad pumpkin costs an arm and a leg at the stores right now! Might have to wait until fall!

Good luck with your orders!

Chelsea

8 Laura August 19, 2010

AMAZING pictures!!!
After seeing all your Chicago pics, I am also one who has added Chicago on my list of ‘must-visit’ cities. :)
Have a great day!

9 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 19, 2010

Vacation is nice but I also like to get back to my own house and my comfort foods…great pics by the way!

10 Tina August 19, 2010

I made an oatmeal parfait in a glass for my breakfast today. Totally inspired by you and heavenly delicious. :D

I’m not really sure what I think about ghosts either. I don’t really believe in them, but do let haunted places freak me out. How can I freak about something I don’t believe in? LOL

11 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) August 19, 2010

I’m not much of a ghost believer myself, but that hotel really creeped me out! Luckily, I didn’t hear (or see) any ghosts during my stay. Loved seeing your night-time Chicago photos, they came out great. Looks like you guys had a great trip. :)

12 Kristy@ KristyRuns.com August 19, 2010

Oohhhh! I want to hear more about the spookiness at the Congress!

I LOVE the twig-looking spoon in your oats! :)

13 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 19, 2010

ooh i’m gutted I missed seeing the fountain looking like that – so beautiful!!!
Glad you’re home safe :)

14 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 19, 2010

Right now I’m loving

KUSMI Tea’s Prince Wladimir black tea.

15 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 19, 2010

Sounds like you next an assistant Glo chef for the next week!!

I love your spoon – Anthropologie has the best stuff, I could spend our life savings there. hehe

16 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 19, 2010

Well, I guess we know where you’ll be today: baking up a storm! But isn’t it an awesome feeling knowing that your business is wanted and doing well? :)

I love your twig spoon — that is adorable and fits in with your “theme” of fall with the pumpkin oats!

Eric takes very beautiful photographs — have either of you taken photography classes or are you both self taught?

17 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow August 19, 2010

Girl, it sounds like you need to turn on some fun tunes and bake the day away! Tunes are my savior when I’m behind, in need of energy or just something to keep me going.

I just returned from my honeymoon in Europe and I can 100% relate to what you said about returning home to your comfort foods and kitchen. We ate so well and experienced so many new things on our trip…but coming home to my green monster and bowl of oatmeal was like a dream! :)

18 Amber K August 19, 2010

I am eating barney butter right now with my breakfast! LOVE it!

19 Camille August 19, 2010

I loooove your new spoon! So cool!

20 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 19, 2010

Whew! 500 bars sounds exhausting, but I love being in the kitchen so I wouldn’t mind helping you out :)

21 Emily August 19, 2010

The comforts of home are so wonderful! The tea sounds fabulous :) I was inspired by your pumpkin VOO to try some hot pumpkin pie oats the other morning. Delicious but I’m so not ready for the flavors of fall! Maybe in a few more weeks..

22 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 19, 2010

The fountain pictures are so cool, and your spoon is so so so cute! Glad to see you got back safely. Good luck with all the baking today!! :)

23 The Wife of a Dairyman August 19, 2010

I love the night shots of your vacation…..beautiful! Great job Eric!
wow! That’s a hefty order of Glo Bars to complete.

24 Mallory @ Little Miss Locavore August 19, 2010

I love tea. Right now I’m just using tea bags, but now I’m wanting to get some loose tea. It looks yummy.

25 Halley @ Blunder Construction August 19, 2010

I love the wooden twig spoon, it looks great in the photo! I couldn’t tell if they were big serving spoons or dining utensils before. Food and wood look good together (look at all those ooo’s!)

26 Jessica August 19, 2010

500 Glo Bars sounds like a dream compared to my job haha, but I’m sure after 100 I wouldn’t be saying that ;). Good luck!

By the way you were in my dream last night ahaha. (your blog was the last thing I read before bed) We were in a Chili’s restaurant, on a train! You were my waitress. The train was filled with celebrities and the only person I was excited to meet was you! LOL The vegan options consisted of a deconstructed burrito salad minus the rice. It had a ton of avocados which I thought looked delicious, some of them even had grill marks on them? The other option I wanted to try (until I saw the price) was hijiki with onions… it was $94.99! AHHH! But I was planning on asking you what was vegan just so you would know I was vegan too ;) lol I’m a nerd!

27 Lisa August 19, 2010

I love the nighttime fountain photo! How romantic.

28 Tiffany August 19, 2010

Yum! Those VOO look divine!

29 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 19, 2010

500 bars?! Holy wow! You’re on your way to being the next lara bar!! :-)

30 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) August 19, 2010

Welcome home!

31 Sandra August 19, 2010

Got a ?

When you eat the overnight oats, do you warm them up or just eat them cold?

Thanks

Sandra

32 Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy August 19, 2010

I don’t know if I believe in ghosts but the very idea that they may exist freaks me out!!

I can’t believe you have so many bars to make. You must be doing something right!!

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing August 19, 2010

Oooo will you share more about the ghost?!
And GORGEOUS pictures!

34 Neen @ Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 19, 2010

Your trip looked truly amazing, chicago sounds great! glad you a great time and glad your home safe! have a fab time making the 500 globars! OMG!

35 Amanda August 19, 2010

Welcome back home Ange! You and Eric deserved a nice vacation to recharge, you’ve been working so much this summer!

And that spoon is so adorable! It looks like a little tree is growing out of your oats!

36 Lauren August 19, 2010

I cant wait to have pumpkin back in my life again. You better believe I am getting right on these overnight oats too!

37 Marina August 19, 2010

The pumpkin oats look delicious. I really need some pumpkin infusion, soon!
Good luck with all those bars!!

38 chelsey August 19, 2010

Love the spoons – your breakfast looks amazing!

39 Alexa @ Sohdalex August 19, 2010

I’ve been looking for a good pumpkin oats recipe and this looks oh so delicious. I will have to try it! and love the wooden spoons, too cute ;)

40 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 19, 2010

I don’t know about everyone else but I am really looking forward to Fall. A chilly night with a warm cup of tea is just great in my eyes!!

41 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 19, 2010

Those are some awesome pictures Eric captured. I love chicago at night! :D

42 Little Bookworm August 19, 2010

For some reason the photos do not show up? I am sure they are fantastic though, and hope you have a good day! :)

43 Callie August 19, 2010

Those pictures look awesome. :)
It always feels good to be back in your own kitchen after a long vacation.

44 Lana August 19, 2010

Those oats look delicious!! I love the way cranberries just make food ‘pop’!! Hope you have a productive day being a busy bee!!

45 Jes (Self Motivation) August 19, 2010

I finished Eat, Love, Pray this weekend and saw the movie last night with a friend who is actually from Italy. I thought the movie did a pretty good job of staying with the book. Bali was where I felt the movie deviated the most, but overall I enjoyed the movie. I think I picked up on little things in the movie because I read the book, but naturally I don’t know if that is really true. Julia Roberts was great! I hope you enjoy it.

46 Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 19, 2010

Oh wow that fountain is so amazing! Also, nice run. Congrats on that mileage!

47 Shanna, like Banana August 19, 2010

Were you able to pick up Pumpkin Butter from TJs? I didn’t see it your stock pile ;)

48 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 19, 2010

I don’t mind hearing the word “fall” here. It has been such a long, hot summer that I can’t wait for that cool, crisp air to come!

49 Erin @ A Girl and Her Mutt August 19, 2010

I love the new fork and spoon. Lovely!

50 Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 19, 2010

Love those pictures! Haunted hotel is kinda creepy. I totally believe in ghosts so that would really freak me out! I know that feeling of being back in your own kitchen after being away. All your favorite foods and being able to make what you want, when you want it, and how you want it. Eating out is fun but its nice to have some control over your food too!

51 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 19, 2010

I really want to try Pumpkin Pie Oats but I can’t find canned pumpkin anywhere this time of the year. Yours looks SO good though. I’ll keep looking but I think I might need to wait a bit more until it’s the right season.

Good luck on your Glo Bars!

52 Heather August 19, 2010

love that cup mug!

53 Sana August 19, 2010

I love coming back from vacation and settling back into my normal routine. And then I constantly flip through my pictures feeling depressed. Story of my summer.

54 Jessica@tastyandtrim August 19, 2010

Gorgeous pictures of the city! Those oats look delicious- they are a must-try!

55 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 19, 2010

Um, so I’m drooling over that breakfast. :) and I love the spoon! I know you showed them earlier, but it looks super cool when put to use!

56 Lisa August 19, 2010

oooh that tea sounds perfect for those mornings when you need an extra ‘pick me up’ :)

57 Jaclyn T August 19, 2010

You need to tell us your spooky stories! I love hearing about ghostly encounters (that others have, haha).

What’s Barney Butter?

Oh, today I made THREE of your recipes (with a few changes, b/c I can never just let a recipe “be”): healthy spelt chocolate cake, crackers, and “energize me” fruit dip….wow, they are all so yummy! :)

58 Lori August 19, 2010

Love that twig spoon! Super cute- and the oats look tasty… as always! ;)

The congress hotel looks beautiful, such great pictures and colors. Fun!

59 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 19, 2010

Enjoy being back in the kitchen and back to your own tasty food.

60 Leah August 19, 2010

Hi Angela! Just wanted to say, I really enjoy reading your blog. I’m not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I love your energy. It seems like you really try to make the most out of life. I have a side question also – have you reached the point with your bakery where it’s a genuine viable business? Have you started seeing profits yet? I just ask because I know a lot of small businesses take several years to start breaking even.

61 Wei-Wei August 19, 2010

Loving the spoon! Good luck with the baking :)

62 Christine August 19, 2010

Just yesterday I was looking for that recipe on your page! No worries, because I found it with the search. Funny though!

63 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 19, 2010

Mmm I’m always on the lookout for good chai teas! I’ve tried so many, but I still haven’t found a favourite yet.

64 Amanda August 20, 2010

You were in my dream last night, too! I made your patty pan squash recipe last night (delicious, by the way) and saw all your Chicago pictures (I live here!). We were on some kind of road trip in my dream, and you offered me a Glo bar. It was the most delicious thing I’ve ever had. I guess that means I need to order some as I’ve been drooling over them for months!

I love all of yours and Eric’s pics of Chicago. When I read you were on the way to my city, I knew your photos would be stunning. I’m so happy you enjoyed it and also found some vegan restaurants. I haven’t even heard of some of those, so I definitely have them on my list!

Good luck with all the orders!

65 Becky @ whitehairedveg August 25, 2010

First – I just recently came across your site and I love it! I plan to spend a lot of time here.
Second – Your posts make me crave hot tea so much! I need to try loose leaf tea and kick the bag habit.
Third – I’d love to hear about your ghostly experience. I’m not sure if I believe in ghosts – but I’m fascinated by the idea of them. Not that I ever want to meet one…