A Decade of Birthdays

Hey guys!

Last night we had a big family get together for Eric’s birthday. It was fun! :) We went out to celebrate and let the good times roll.

There was nothing vegan on the menu so I just asked the server if the chef could surprise me with a vegan dish and luckily he was more than willing. I was excited to see what he came up with!

This came out…

IMG_1880

It was a Thai inspired stir-fry with rice and tofu complete with a Cashew sauce. It was pretty good although I am not a tofu fan, so I picked around it. :)

The rest of the evening was spent with family, kicking-back and catching up. :) It was a great night. My in laws are staying here to house-sit and cat-sit while we are in Chicago. Sketchie is very happy because he LOVES when his grandma and grandpa come to visit! I think he likes them more than us…

Eric and I have a big memory box that we store all of our notes and cards in since we started dating in 2000. I decided to go through it and bring back a few blasts from the past!

I admit, it was a bit hard stifling my giggles this morning when I read through our old notes. Said notes will never see the light of day on this blog. But I can show you a few safe ones… ;)

Our second Christmas together in 2001:

IMG_0001

Clearly, he fell in love with my artistic ability.

The outside of a birthday card I gave to Eric for his 20th birthday in 2002:IMG_0004

The card:

IMG_0006

The inside of the card…

IMG_0005

Pics from 2002:

eric,ange at kerriesb eric and ange in montreal

That was just a month before we left for university together.

A surprise birthday road trip in 2007:

IMG

I made us a picnic dinner and took Eric to the beach.

IMG_2511

It was a really great night.

IMG_2493

IMG_2495

25, baby.

IMG_2525

Sketchie was still cracking us up with his antics…

IMG_2414

This one was last year’s birthday card in 2009.

IMG_0002 IMG_0003

Happy 28th Birthday to the man who stole my heart and changed how I saw myself and the world around me forever.

IMG_5894

Breakfast in bed is always a good start to one’s birthday, don’t you think?

Although shortly after I brought up breakfast, he got paged for work. :(

I used my Healthy Spelt Pancakes For One recipe (and doubled it) and I added his favourite pancake toppings- chocolate chips, coconut, and cherries.  :)

IMG_5889

I had some as well as my mother-in-law! She told me that she grew up in Ireland eating pancakes without maple syrup! Her mom used to serve them with margarine, sugar, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of icing sugar. Sounds amazing!

IMG_5885

IMG_5899

Today’s question: Let’s talk BIRTHDAYS! What is your most memorable birthday? Share the nostalgia. :)

The birthday that sticks out the most in my mind was a surprise birthday party Eric threw for me on my 23rd birthday. He flew out my dad and best friend just for the party (I hadn’t seen them in ages!). Needless to say, the tears, drinks, and laughs flowed like wata.

Page 3 of 3«123
Ranee Franti December 10, 2016

This is really a wonderful recipe. Yesterday I tasted it and it was delicious. This is the first time that I cooked very well. You keep it up your posting like this way. Thank you for sharing such wonderful creations. My good wishes always with you.

Dominique August 21, 2010

What beautiful looking pancakes! This coming from a gal who doesn’t even like pancakes but the photos of yours always look amazing and delicious.

Your memory box must be filled with really cute stuff, as evidenced from the few photos you shared with us. I have a memory box of stuff with between the BF and I as well (mostly cards, concert tickets, movies passes, notes, etc). It’s almost 10 years old now…longer if you count our first two failed relationships, hahaha.

My fave birthday was my 25th. It was over a two-day span in which the BF treated me to everything for the first day since it was my actual birthday. We went out for dim sum and then spent the day at the zoo. The second day involved roti, throwing up in a parking lot and a DQ cake with so many candles it should have been considered a fire hazard.

Ann August 12, 2010

Hahaha Sketchie looks so scary in that picture! I love that you guys have a memory box! My boyfriend and I have been going out four years now (since senior year of high school!), and relationship stories always inspire me! I think my favorite birthday was a surprise scavenger hunt that my boyfriend did for me that ended with a paddle boat adventure on a neighborhood lake!

katie August 12, 2010

I totally teared up at your birthday greeting to him this year. (L)

My most memorable birthday so far is this year. I was at my grandma’s for my birthday dinner and the power was out. So they had to cook the sweet potatoes and dishes alike downstairs on their wood stove. We ate by candle light. It was so much fun.
The lights came on while we were enjoying cake, but I wish they had stayed off the entire time,
Hahah :)

Elle August 11, 2010

My most memorable birthday was in 1999… my DH arranged for me to have an English Springer Spaniel puppy conceived on my special day (born 2 months later) and gave me a couple of books about raising puppies, a birdhouse which he had built himself and a card, from the puppy, saying ‘come pick me out of the litter’ – she became my dearest baby and I will never forget how happy I was know that she was on the way!

courtney August 11, 2010

Happy Birthday to Eric! Have a safe trip tomorrow :)

Mallory@Little Miss Locavore August 11, 2010

Thanks for sharing your birthday nostalgia. I have been with my guy for about 9 years now and we too have a box full of adorable/somewhat embarrassing cards and letters from years ago. I love birthdays and thinking of ways to make them special. This week I celebrated a birthday week for my guy, with a new decoration and something special each day leading up to his birthday. Oh and those pancakes look delicious! I will have to get some cherries from the farmer’s market and make some this weekend.

Caz August 11, 2010

Maple syrup is such a Canadian thing! Because it’s SO expensive overseas most places don’t have it/use it on pancakes etc. That’s why you often see “Canadian Pancakes” on a menu which means it’s served with maple syrup. Otherwise they’re generally not. (At least in Australia/NZ)

Michele August 11, 2010

For my 31st this year, my boyfriend and I agreed not to exchange gifts and save for a mini-weekend vacation. On my birthday, he asked me if I’d run a work errand with him. It was a Sunday morning, so I was taking my time getting ready. He kept rushing me and I thought that was strange because he’s NEVER on time to anything. At noon we pulled up to the spa our friend works at as a massage therapist. He surprised me with a ninety minute massage. It was the sweetest thing ever and the best massage I’ve ever had. Anyone living in the Metro Detroit area, hit me up if you’re looking for a WONDERFUL massage therapist!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 11, 2010

Happy birthday to Eric!

One of my most memorable birthdays was my 18th, when I went out to dinner with a bunch of friends, and later a group of my other friends set up a full band in the park and played me ‘Happy Birthday’!

eat move love August 11, 2010

Is it weird that I can “feel” the love coming off of this post? …It almost makes me sad.

Blessed are you.

What is it that you do for a living? It seems you are pursuing your passion and have the effort and time to put into your blog. I don’t have the time, but God – how I wish I could travel and write – I suppose we all do…but sometimes, it almost breaks my heart…

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 11, 2010

On my 21st birthday my husband took me to an amazing tiny little French restaurant that blew my mind. We had such an amazing evening so I’d have to say that was my best breakfast.

Emily August 11, 2010

You and Eric are so cute and considerate with eachother’s birthdays. I love how you both try so hard to make the day so special for the other :) My favorite birthday so far was my 21st birthday, for which I had a luau themed party at my house! It was a great way to celebrate my birthday with both friends and family.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 11, 2010

Those are great looking birthday pancakes. I love them stacked and layered.

Bridget@PavementandPlants August 11, 2010

For my 21st birthday, i had rehearsal at 8 AM the next morning for winterguard. So. all my friends threw me a birthday party at like 4 in the afternoon until 10 so I could get some sleep. It was so early to be drinking and celebrating but no one minded! I felt so loved.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 11, 2010

What a wonderful trip down memory lane!!!!

Adina August 11, 2010

Awh the birthday cards you’ve made for Eric are so sweet! I also have a memory box for my high school sweetheart and I and keep all the silly drawings and birthday cards we’ve given each other over the years :) I’ve only had 18 birthdays so far ,I’m still a young’n lol :),
but my favorite birthday was probably my 17th birthday where my sister, parents, and boyfriend all got together and surprised me with a trip to Disneyworld ! They set up a scavenger hunt for me where my airplane ticket, a birthday cake, and my poor boyfriend (Dressed as Mickey Mouse with the Mickey gloves, ears, and all ) awaited me at the end. Hands down best birthday so far !
p.s Hope Eric had a great birthday !

Lori August 11, 2010

Haaaaaaaaaaaapy Birthday, Eric! Sweet words and great cards, Angela! So cute!!!

Melissa August 11, 2010

Love all the birthday memories!!
The hubby got that same 2009 handyman card LOL!
One favorite birthday was when the hubby planned a trip for me to see my best friend. He got me the time off work, booked my flight, and worked it out with my bestie!

Stacey August 11, 2010

I love the old cards, they’re great! So much better than store bought ones, much more personal.