A Green Holiday

Happy Civic Day to my Canadian readers! I hope you are enjoying a lovely Monday off.

I’m not feeling too good this morning! We went to a friend’s last night and I am now nursing a Wii and beer hang-over. Never a good combo! I did however, win the coveted prize as the Boxing Queen though, so I guess all was not lost. I am a ninja at that game. I have no skill aside from thrashing my arms and legs, but it seems to work.

I woke up around 7am and drank a couple huge glasses of Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder + H20. It helped a lot! I don’t know what I would do without Amazing Grass products.

I also watched a gorgeous sunrise and woke my body up with some natural light. Nothing beats summertime mornings!

IMG 5085 thumb   A Green Holiday

Recently, a reader from Switzerland (the home of Müesli!) emailed me to tell me that Vegan overnight oats are even better when you make a big batch and keep it in the fridge for several days. She said that it tastes better the longer it soaks for.

I decided to make a bulk batch that would be good for 3 servings.

3-Day supply of Vegan Overnight Oats

• 1 heaping cup oats
  • 3.25 cups almond milk
  • 3.5 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1-1.5 tbsp Amazing Grass Chocolate protein powder
  • Cinnamon, optional
  • 3 mashed bananas (if you won’t be making the banana soft serve parfait)

Directions: Mix dry ingredients in a large container. Add almond milk and then whisk very well. Place in fridge overnight. Makes 3 servings.

For breakfast I made a Chocolate Cake Batter Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait!

IMG 5095 thumb   A Green Holiday

It was delicious as I hoped it would be! I made 2 layers of cacao nibs hidden in the middle! The cacao nibs really make the parfait because they are so crunchy.

IMG 5119 thumb   A Green Holiday

Green, green, green!

IMG 5103 thumb   A Green Holiday

It feels like it has been forever since I made a VOO parfait! Oh, how I missed it.

IMG 5106 thumb   A Green Holiday

IMG 5110 thumb   A Green Holiday

I am off to meet a girlfriend at the mall this morning. I need to find Eric a birthday gift as his birthday is August 11th. This afternoon, I am helping Eric and a couple of the guys with renos in the basement…sanding, dry wall, and painting!! Eric has taught me a lot about renos and my skill is slowly but surely improving.

Imagine ME holding THIS.

Scary, I know. I’m not going to rule out the possibility that I could do some major damage to the walls, myself, or Eric. He was warned.

Today’s question: Are you a handy woman? Do you do any home-related projects or are you a whiz with power tools?

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 2, 2010

can’t wait to see what happens with the renos! i bet it’s going to look amazing :) hope you have a fabulous day!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 2, 2010

If my husband was doing renovations, I think I would stay far, far away!

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

lol..yea I know what you mean. Occasionally I will hear a crash and Eric yell ‘crap!’ in the basement…never a good sign!!!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 2, 2010

LOL I know that noise far too well!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 2, 2010

I consider myself pretty handy – an old, male roommate of mine used to call me “Bob Vila” jokingly (of “This Old House”, fame…and Tim “The Toolman” Taylor’s nemisis on “Home Improvement”). I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty.

Also – I can never get over how gorgeous your oats are..even if I put mine in a glass like that…they would not look that wonderful!

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

LOL @ the Bob Vila nickname!

Courtney @ Ice Cream & Wine August 2, 2010

I LOVE the glass that your parfait is in – so fun!!

tanyasDailyProduct Reviews August 2, 2010

yes and no…depends
your breakfast looks so good right now!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 2, 2010

Good to hear you’re feeling a little better! And I’m definitely not a handy woman..my mom is so I’ve picked up a few things from there but for the most part I’m up a creek if my toilet won’t flush. Must have gotten those genes from my dad ;)

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 2, 2010

I would definitely not call myself handy. And even if I tried, I’m sure my husband would take over. He likes to micromanage :)

Wei-Wei August 2, 2010

ROCK the Wii boxing. It’s a great cardio workout I think because of all the thrashing. Somehow I suppose there’s supposed to be a method to it all… I just don’t know it. Keep on thrashing, m’lady.

Wei-Wei

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 2, 2010

I can use a power screwdriver, does that count??? As a whole I am not handy with tools, but I’m a good helper because I know the names of tools and where they are kept.

The VOO parfait is beautiful as always! Good luck finding a bday gift for Eric!

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

yes that counts! ;)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 2, 2010

I would love to be more handy around the house than I am. I love being creative and doing projects. I do have to admit that I’m famous for starting a project and not finishing. I’m trying to get out of that bad habit. A girlfriend of mine is like the gal that posted about Tim the Toolman Taylor and she wants to teach me to do a few things this fall. I have recently had my shower re-done into a huge 2 person all slate stone shower with a glass wall. Next, I want to repaint the walls and refinish the cabinets. She wants to help me do this. Woohoo, can’t wait! I’m hoping that’ll be the start to some more big projects I have in mind for the fall.

Good luck with renos, (not sure what it is) but when you showed the pic of the machinery you are using, that pretty much explained it. :0)

Ashley August 2, 2010

I’m not the best handy-woman but decent I suppose. I really enjoy painting!! Way to rock it with the boxing! Good luck finding Eric a gift :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 2, 2010

Oh man, I am so not handy, lol. I wish I was though!!

Your parfait is so beautiful!!! Yum!

Katheryn August 2, 2010

I am not at all a handy woman. Thankfully the husband is excellent at all of those things, so I need to keep him around.

Camille August 2, 2010

I love the last photo!
I am… self-sufficient, but not handy. My boyfriend constantly gets mad at me for putting up pictures without measuring first. I think he’s just jealous of my natural aligning skills!

Kath August 2, 2010

Hey Ange! I nitpicky question for you: what do you store your frozen bananas in? A ziplock? A tupperware? I need to find the perfect storage container for them (since I’m all about storage containers these days :) )

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

I have this long and slender tupperware container that was part of a huge 30 piece set we bought years ago. It is a bit worse for wear! heh

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

Oops I meant to add that I usually peel and then chop a couple bananas and then place in the tupperware in the freezer. If I leave them in the freezer longer than a few days they get freezer burn so I try to just make a couple at a time.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 2, 2010

I like to think that I am handy but I am also pretty impatient. I get 3/4 of the way through some projects and want to give up and move onto something else.

Sorry to hear you aren’t feeling to great.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 2, 2010

Hi Angela, hope you’re feeling better. Nothing that a little VOO parfait can’t fix, right??? I am most definitely NOT a handy girl. I leave that up the the experts! (namely, my husband)

Maria

Nichole August 2, 2010

That parfait looks like dessert, unreal delicious.

My hubs can fix anything, thank goodness. I try to avoid power tools, for everyone’s safety, but I’ve been known to fix a thing or two around the house.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 2, 2010

Wii hangovers are never good…though mine usually consists of sore muscles from that boxing game! Who knew?

I consider myself handy. I used to take shop class in middle and high school because the other option was chorus and no one wants to be subjected to me singing. I’ve also had some fierce competitions with the Fiance on who can put together Ikea furniture the quickest (we usually seem to buy Ikea furniture in doubles for some reason).

Emily August 2, 2010

I had to comment because I am totally feeling your pain this morning after a night out of my own. I saw your tweet, too, and had to laugh. I made some oats with chia seeds and a banana and I am hoping that will be my remedy! Good luck shopping for Eric today and with the home reno’s!!

Tina August 2, 2010

I’m not a handy woman by ANY means, but I had to learn a few tricks when we renovated our entire house over two years. I still wouldn’t consider myself talented though.

And I think it’s too funny that you included Wii as part of your hangover.

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

haha Im SO sore from that damn game!

Ilana August 2, 2010

I try to be the fix-it girl but last month my refrigerator broke and .. well .. I couldn’t fix it! I was really frustrated to have to call in a handy man because I’ve gotten used to doing everything on my own!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 2, 2010

What a wonderful start to your morning! I’m starting mine off a little slow too – recovering from the weekend.
My husband is DEFINITELY the handier of us two. He usually lets me stay out of the way as long as he can get his dad or a buddy over here to help him:)

Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 2, 2010

My husband tries to fix everything and I can work a power drill…we live on a ranch so there’s always things to be fixed. But sometimes I pretend not to know too much ;)

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana August 2, 2010

I’m actually more ‘handy’ than the hubby. He has to read every line of directions where I just use my intuition. He always has way more holes in the walls too..how does THAT makes sense? ;)

Kate August 2, 2010

My boyfriend is pretty good with tools, but we haven’t had a big project to tackle yet. Just random small things so far. I have no clue how to do any of it, nor what the names of the tools are. I tried helping him once, but kept asking him which tool it was he wanted again? I’d bring 4 different ones to him that I “thought” were the correct one, but was way off! I’d rather just clean. I can’t screw that up! ;)

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

haha I am known for inventing names for tools…especially screwdriver heads!!!

Marta August 2, 2010

Eric and I have the same birthday!! I already guessed part of my present :) My bf is taking me to see Dragonette in Toronto! If you haven’t listened to this band, you have GOT to check them out, such great music to run/workout to, or just shake your booty to in the car/kitchen/living room :)

Jill August 2, 2010

I think I’m pretty handy. My dad used to be a carpenter and home builder (he builds canoes and boats now), and for Christmas one year he gave me a huge toolkit full of screwdrivers, hammers, nails, screws and lots of other useful things. My hubby and I have now added to that collection with lots of various hand-held power tools.
Today we are painting our living room! We’ve got half the room primed so far and are taking a little coffee break :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 2, 2010

I love Wii. I don’t get how I win at the boxing thing either. haha. But I bet your arms are very sore!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 2, 2010

I’ve been up to enjoy the morning outside the past two days, and I LOVE it! I’m not usually able to go to bed so I can get up early and be rested, but when I can do it, I love being out and about in the early morning :-)
I’m not really that handy, but I can fix/assemble things if i REALLY have to!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! August 2, 2010

My hubby’s birthday is also August 11th! For his birthday, I usually take him to Best Buy for a shopping spree :)

When you make 3 days’ worth of Vegan Overnight Oats, do you add the mashed bananas to the mixture as well? I don’t have time to make the banana soft serve in the morning (for shame!) but would like to try this recipe.

Callie August 2, 2010

That VOO looks so good. :)
I can’t stay near anything related with renovations. I’ll end up destroying our house and myself. lol.
I tried your smiling meditation trick this morning. It actually made me feel happier.

Amélie August 2, 2010

What’s that Civic Day business anyway? I’m in Montréal and AT WORK. Damn Québec, can’t do anything like the rest of the country!
Enjoy your day lucky lady!

Paula August 2, 2010

Good for you guys! Doing your own renos is so gratifying!

I’m a very DIY kind of girl – I work magic with power drills and electric staple guns :) two extremely useful tools!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 2, 2010

We don’t own a house so with an apartment there’s not much handy work to do. That’s probably a good thing since I’m the clumsiest person I know. I am a pretty good painter, though.

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 2, 2010

Haha well I pretty much moved 5 times in the last 2 years all on my own, putting stuff together, taking it apart, and arranging it. I guess I’m kind of a handy woman? :)

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 2, 2010

I love Wii Boxing!! I’m not very good at it (and look pretty silly doing it), but I love the way my arms, shoulders and back are actually SORE the next day! It’s a bit of a workout! :D

I don’t use power tools very often, but I do consider myself pretty handy around the house. I fixed our toilet a few weeks ago, and I was so proud of myself for not having to call a plumber!!

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 2, 2010

I am Mrs. Fix-it in this family. If it is broke Hunni comes to find me. I’ve fixed our stair rail, cabinet doors, light switches, and much much more. I just figure it out, and read the instructions :-)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 2, 2010

Hope you continue to feel better today!!

I admire you guys for renovating your house! When we bought our house, it had just been renovated a couple years before, which worked out great because painting is about the extent of our handy man/woman ability:)

Katie August 2, 2010

Tomorrow morning, I will be having my first EVER bowl of overnight oats – every photo of yours make me drool every morning hehe! :)
Have a lovely day!