It’s All About The Accent

Top of the morning to you!

I had a fabulous 8 hours of sleep last night! Wheeeeee. No nicky nicky nine door antics. This is progress.

IMG_4450

My Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was killer this morning. I feel like I haven’t had one in forever!!! Her Mix-A-Lot has been getting all of my love and adoration lately.

Carob, Cacao, & PB Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• Carob Vegan Overnight Oats (1/2 cup oats, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1.25 cups almond milk, 1.5 tbsp carob powder)
  • Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1 tbsp peanut butter)
  • 1/4 cup Rice Crisp cereal (for layering)
  • Cacao nibs (for layering)
  • Carob powder, for garnish
  • Homemade raw chocolate, for garnish
  • Unsweet. coconut, for garnish

Directions: Make the carob Vegan overnight oats by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl and leaving in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours. In the morning, Make the PB Banana Soft Serve. Layer the soft serve with the VOO, cacao nibs, and rice crisp. Sprinkle with carob powder and coconut. Add two chunks of homemade chocolate and enjoy!

IMG_4439

This was incredible! I love, love, love the rice crisp added as a layer in the middle. Same with the cacao nibs. So crunchy!

IMG_4465

My Simple Decorating Trick: Pick a colour scheme!

Ok, so last night I promised you some decorating footage!

On Sunday, I realized that Eric and I still had gift cards that were given to us for wedding gifts almost 2 years ago! We had gift cards to William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Winners, and Crate & Barrel. I asked Eric to come with me and he said he ‘trusted me’ to do it alone. aka…he hates shopping! So I tackled it myself like a champ. One of my favourite things to do is decorate, so I didn’t mind.

We finished renovating and painting the family room in Fall 2009. And then we left it. No decor, no colour, nothing on the walls. We were scared.

It occurred to me that the reason why we never ‘finish’ decorating rooms is because we never develop a colour scheme to guide us.

I thought the colour scheme of chocolate, lime, and lemon would look awesome together (with yellow and green being the accent pieces). I picked those colours because there is a lot of chocolate already in the room (couch, wood, bricks) and I picked yellow and green because there are some engagement pictures I want to blow up that have yellow and green in them. The room naturally has lots of green in it with the large windows and the trees in he backyard too.

Now that I had three colours in mind, it automatically narrowed down a ton of options. I didn’t feel overwhelmed as I usually do when looking for home decor. I just scanned the stores for those three colours and it was so much easier!

One great way to add accent colours is with fun and bright pillows…

The two pillows on the right are from Crate and Barrel and the one on the left is from Wal-mart.

IMG_4484

I got 6 so far and might pick up another 2 or 3 as I see fit.

IMG_4483 IMG_4480

I love how something as simple as pillows can transform a room!

IMG_4498

Then I bought some accent pieces to add to the room…

This lime green pot is from Winners and the faux fruit are from Pottery barn.

IMG_4467

Love this sculpted piece from Winners.

IMG_4472

Also both from Winners!

IMG_4473 IMG_4474

The lemon tree is from Pottery Barn (sorry the pic is blurry!)

IMG_4475

Right now all of that stuff above is on the fireplace because we don’t have any family room furniture aside from the couch and the Ikea coffee table.

IMG_4500

My plan for the fireplace is to remove the large picture on top and add a print with the accent colours to give it more of a pop of colour. Maybe one of our wedding or travel pictures would work there?

I would love to purchase a nice coffee table, corner chest, and small table, but that won’t be for a while. I drooled at all of Crate and Barrel’s furniture…they have some gorgeous things in there.

IMG_4490

What I am focusing on right now:

1) Prints for walls (see below)

2) Coffee table

3) Decorative Curtains

IMG_4499

Something is definitely still missing to pull this room together!

We will also eventually be putting hardwood on the floors and removing the carpet.

I want to do prints of a few of our engagement pictures. I am going to pick some with the most vibrant green backgrounds. Luckily we have a lot of engagement pictures with bright green in the background so it works perfectly! I am going to do one huge one and 2 smaller ones.

IMG_4499b

I also want to hang curtains, but I find it so difficult to figure out what would look good!

Ideas?

IMG_4498b

I really dislike the hunter green blinds that are up right now. I would like to keep them up though because they were custom made and they are good when you need to block out the light. I would just like something to cover them up.

I also haven’t showed you the other side of the room with a fireplace. I will do that in another post.

Today’s question: Do you have a favourite room right now in your living space? Do you have a favourite colour scheme or colours that you are drawn to for home decor?

I am also looking for a colour scheme for the entry way and eventually dining room. Right now we have Biscuit by Sherwin Williams on the walls of the entry way, but that is it.

I’ve got a busy day of work and I am going to squeeze in a run at some point. See you later and enjoy your day!

1 Michal July 27, 2010

No colors right now, but when I was a teenager my parents let me paint my room “Teal Zeal,” and someday I want a teal+cream color scheme! Then I’d throw in some blue accents.

2 Little Bookworm July 27, 2010

Your breakfast looks amazing! :D

3 Ashley July 27, 2010

LOVE the decorating. Also enjoy seeing all of your updates. I’m so so sick of renting and never developing a style. Not worth it yet! That VOO looks ridiculous. I’m on my way over. Just caught up on all of your posts from this last week. Delicious eats as always :) xo

4 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 27, 2010

Your livingroom is lovely Angela! I really like the combo of those three colors. Ours are a russet red, some deep green, cream, and brown. Hmm, that sounds Christmasy, but I promise it’s not.

Kitchen has mostly golds and reds.

Cute topic!

5 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 27, 2010

Your living room looks great so far! I tend to go with similar colors: blues, greens, and browns.

6 Jodi July 27, 2010

Hi Angela! I love the lime green accents you added!
Last week you were talking about canvas prints for your kitchen, and I wanted to mention that you could make your own. Canvas’ are always on sale at Michael’s and with a some mod-podge and your fave photos you can make your own. Here’s the link… http://momspark.net/need-art-try-mod-podge/

7 Amy Bellgardt {Mom Spark} July 27, 2010

Thanks for the mention, Jodi! I love my mod podge art and it was way easy.

8 Jessica @ How Sweet July 27, 2010

The room looks great! Those are actually the colors of our family room too – greens, browns, and we also have some blues!

9 bee (in ten days) July 27, 2010

ahhh, i would love to have that much natural light in my house! beautiful!

10 Christie {Honoring Health} July 27, 2010

It looks great so far!

I always think curtains are the hardest to pick, as well. They feel so permanent, I think.

11 Exercise and Eat July 27, 2010

Do you realize how fantastic your breakfast looks!?! WOW!

12 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 27, 2010

I’m thinking of doing a Canadiana theme in my home office with earthy colours.

13 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 27, 2010

Looks great!! I love the lime and yellow pops of colour against the chocolate. My favourite room colour-wise in my house is the living room. All but 1 wall (which is a half wall) are a shade of light blue, and the half wall is a brighter, more intense blue right behind our TV. it sort of separates the living room from the dining room and makes that whole side of the house look less narrow. I’ve decorated it with some bright flower prints (Wal Mart specials!), and black leather couches with bright pink, blue and yellow pillows. I like my colours!

And PS, as per usual, your bfast is making me drool!

14 Julianne July 27, 2010

Love the living room! You could hang up bamboo shades to cover up the green blinds. Hang them a little higher than the top of the window and then add curtain panels? Young House Love has a great post about curtain and window how-tos!

15 Paula July 27, 2010

Agreed! Bamboo shades over (or replacing) the green blinds would look perfect in that room! Set it off by flanking the windows with long panels and the room will look all polished and complete! Ditto Mel below suggesting white. With your wall and furniture colors and the wood accents, and now that you have those adorable white pillows, I think white panels would look awesome. It would look so earthy, yet light and clean and ethereal! Kind of like the living room at a zen spa!

Alternatively, if you wanted something super clean and simple, you could replace the green blinds with gorgeous white roman shades, and then you wouldn’t be covering the beautiful wood molding around the windows.

16 tanyasDailyProductReviews July 27, 2010

I like that green…it looks good

17 Mel July 27, 2010

The Young House Love idea of billowy white floor to ceiling curtains would look great in there and I think they can be pretty inexpensive (Ikea?).

18 Allie July 27, 2010

Wow that parfait looks amazing! Hard to believe it is breakfast :) I can’t wait until I have a home of my own to decorate, looks like so much fun.

19 christine July 27, 2010

you should put a mirror above the fireplace! always makes the room look bigger and brighter

20 Lola July 27, 2010

You could add a shear light curtain over the hunter green blinds. It will still let light in if you keep the blinds up or covers them if you decide to put them down. It might even lighten the color a bit. You could also add heavier curtains to the side of the windows for some oomph lol

21 Tina July 27, 2010

That parfait looks like a fancy dessert.

I love that color scheme. Greens and browns are my favorite. And I agree with the above commenter. A mirror would look great there.

22 Therese July 27, 2010

Love your ideas and LOVE the colour scheme! I was actually going to use the same colour scheme in our upstairs kitchen/sitting room! We have beige walls with chocolate brown furniture and I liked the idea of a fresh green to add some colour but changed my mind at the last minute and we’ve decided to go with slate toned colours that would match the pillows that came with the couch. Of course, we haven’t actually done any of that yet…

My favourite room in the house is actually the bathroom. My boyfriend actually choose all the colours and furniture in the house as it was being renovated before I moved in but he did a darned good job. The bathroom is pretty dramatic, it’s all greys, blacks and sage green. An entire glassed in shower with black tile it’s very much a bachelor bathroom but I plan to add some feminine touches!

23 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 27, 2010

I love using bright colors like lime green, especially as accents! You have great style!

24 Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 27, 2010

I am definitely not the decorator in our house. But my boyfriend is an artist so that’s why I leave it up to him. We currently have over 20 pieces of original artwork from either him or some of our friends hung on every possible wall in our tiny Toronto apartment.

25 Linsey G. July 27, 2010

Good morning! I have to know, where did you get that couch? I’m looking for exactly this kind of sectional, and I love the dark color of yours (I have five kids, a huge dog and 2 cats, dark fabric is a must). Thank you!!

26 Morgan July 27, 2010

My VOO’s always look so messy! Have you tried using GM banana soft serve? I tried it this morning with kale and blueberries and it’s not pretty but it actually tastes really good with overnight oats.

27 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 27, 2010

I love the lime green, yellow and chocolate combo. Your home looks so warm and inviting and I love that just outside the window you have nature!

28 Drashti July 27, 2010

Get a bright white/off white curtains with green and chocolate/coffee prints.. something like your pillow :) … White always retains brightness and warmth of family room… If too difficult to find you can easily get white and green combo and sew/glue some chocolate/coffee beads/laces… you are much more creative… create something unique of your own to match your theme :) .. It will be lots of fun.

BTW I made your cherry coconut butter banana bread and it turned out simply superb :) Thanks a lot for sharing recipe.

29 Mellissa July 27, 2010

We have our family room in a light sage green from Sherwin Williams while our kitchen and eat in area is an orangish/brown called Brandywine and those colors flow well. We have a dark brown sectional with blues, yellows, greens in the pillows.

30 Holly @ Self-love and Running July 27, 2010

That breakfast looks absolutely amazing. Yum!

I am trying overnight oats tomorrow!

Our kitchen is one of my favorite rooms. We painted it a sunny yellow and it has these wonderful built in shelves. The cupboards don’t match and neither do the countertops but it’s homey. I also really like our spare bedroom/my sewing room. It’s bright green (I think the color was called pickle!) and has a window seat. We ripped out the horrid red carpet that was in there put down a cream area rug over the naturally distressed floorboards. Come to think of it, those are the only 2 rooms we have put work into, so maybe that’s why they’re my favorites!

31 rachel July 27, 2010

that room looks gorgeous as is!! and oh my i want that breakfast.

32 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 27, 2010

Oh my that couch of yours looks so inviting! Beautiful choices! As for window shades, I’d suggest something neutral, similar to the color of your walls.

Right now our living room is in similar colors – dark brown furniture, accented with green, yellow, and even a bit of purple.

33 Alexis {Mission: Ambition} July 27, 2010

Your parfait looks particularly pretty this morning! :) I love your color scheme – I always seem to use browns and greens together in my house.

34 Kathryn July 27, 2010

First off – I want to live on your couch. I think if I had a mini fridge I could actually live there right on the couch.

We had a dark sage green in our house with tan walls and I was always feeling like the room needed something and about a year ago we painted just one wall a super dark purple color and it finally made the room feel finished. I LOVE accent walls!

35 Daniel July 27, 2010

I think your rooms and color schemes look great, I love browns and greens too! :D

And I tried Vegan Overnight Oats for the first time last night… when I prepared them I used 1/3 cup oats, 1 tbsp chia, some raisins and only 1/2 a cup of soy milk because it already looked like soup! I mixed them with cherry banana softserve in a glass and topped it with a tiny bit of granola and cacao nibs. Oh my goodness, the oats were soooo creamy!! I’m glad I finally gave this a try, I can’t wait to try a pumpkin version!! :D

Now I just need to get a nice parfait glass so everything isn’t in really wide layers… :P

36 jenna July 27, 2010

i love the green in your home! it looks gorge.

I always have such a hard time with curtains as well. It’s so hard for me to visualize what would look good, what fits and so on. :-/

37 banandrea July 27, 2010

Love the decorating- that colour of green is beautiful! My mom used to own a home decor store and I’ve always loved arranging things in our house. Right now I’m working on my room- I just got the most gorgeous chair and chandelier… yes, a chandelier in my bedroom- how luxurious!

38 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 27, 2010

That is a great way to decorate. It’s almost fool proof as long as you have the right balance of dominant versus accent colors.

39 Laura July 27, 2010

Beautiful! I love the choices you’ve made so far.

I think having art on the walls will bring the room together. For the windows, I’d go with either green silk curtains to match the green accents you already have, or something brighter, like an ivory linen. That will add some depth, I think!

40 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 27, 2010

i LOVE the color scheme! beautiful :) my favorite room right now is the only room that’s been painted since we moved in…our guest bathroom! it’s this beautiful Mediterranean blue with lots of white and some deep red accents. i love it!

41 chelsey July 27, 2010

you just helped me tremendously!!! I love these colors together!! I’m trying to figure out what to do with our living room as we just moved into the house. After our wedding I need to go gung ho on decorating. I think I’m going to use your color scheme! One of the walls is already green, so I’m going to have to get more chocolate/lemon colors. You are a life saver. looove the pillows!

PS: not only did your decorating rock my world this morning, so did that parfait! yum!

42 Laura July 27, 2010

Oh, and plants!! Lots of plants. Not only are they beautiful, but many detox the air, removing the “off-gassing” that new textiles emit.

43 Rachel@Random.Life.Balance.Destiny July 27, 2010

We have been in our new house 2 months now, and every single wall in our house is completely bare. I just bought 3 pictures yesterday and was so excited about them. My hubby came home and commented that he doesn’t want pictures with “messages” on them because people will think we’re weird. They’re inspirational quotes and just gorgeous prints, so I was disappointed when he told me he wanted them to go in the basement (which is unfinished and only used for storage!). His idea of decor – his mounted posters of Army of Darkness, Kill Bill or Eddie Vedder….sigh….I wish he’d give me free reign like your husband!

44 Krystina July 27, 2010

I LOVE the green color scheme. It’s just enough to make it look put together without being over the top. Your breakfast looks so decadent!

45 Julia July 27, 2010

Hi Angela,

I totally agree with you that you need a theme if you want to achieve a decoration that does look put together.
We have an Africa theme in our living room. The base colours are brown (furniture, couch) and beige/sand (base wall colour, base pillow colour). We than added the African accents with the colours red and orange (pillows, pictures, border on the wall) and with African art like wooden masks and figurines. That creats a very warm atmosphere.
Right now, I’m on the hunt for a floor lamp that would fit in………..

46 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace July 27, 2010

OMG, that is the best looking VOO I’ve seen yet, chocolate and peanut butter, it doesn’t get any better than that!

My entire house is done in Southwestern motif, I’ve always loved the Indian and western look! My favorite room in our home right now is our master shower. We recently had it completely gutted and re-done. We now have a complete stand up dual headed slate stone shower with all glass doors. We are about to work on our guest room/office next.

47 Lizzie July 27, 2010

Angela, you are SO creative! That space looks like it would be a good fit year round.
We are re-doing our kitchen next month and have a bright happy yellow colour scheme courtesy of the previous owner that I love. You are making feel inspired, since I am not really a decorating person :)
Oh, and I tried VOO for the first time the other morning – massive time saver between swimming and work, though I need to remember to whisk and also make more of an effort stirring the PB in. I ended up with a couple of big globs in my mouth . . though no complaints there! :) Could you use cacao powder instead of carob?

48 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 27, 2010

Your new decor looks great! Decorating can be so intimidating. Jon and I were in our house for about 6 months before we started putting stuff on the walls!

We went for a vintage modern feel for our decor, and our color scheme includes chocolate brown (one wall in our living room), robin’s egg blue (dining room) and neutrals. Then we decided to go more fun with our office and painted it more of a brighter pea green. We love it!

49 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 27, 2010

I love your color scheme with the green, and all of your accents on the fireplace just POP!

I don’t have any suggestions for curtains, because I personally like to see the wood accents, but I’m sure you could find something nice at Pier 1 or Crate & Barrel. I’d get a dark brown color maybe — to blend in with the wood but to add some softness.

I like everything to be neutral (tan, brown, beige, white, etc) but to have really colorful prints/photographs hanging up. I do like to get colorful throws or accent pillows too, and that way I can change up the look of the room without spending alot.

50 Danielle (Run on Green) July 27, 2010

I’m pretty awful at home decorating lol. When I get my own house, I might have to call in reinforcements (a.k.a my mom)

Your bfasts are always stunning :)

51 bitt July 27, 2010

What a comeback for the parfait. I see you like some chocolate for breakfast too. :-)

We are redecorating our living room too. The old color scheme was blue and red but with a new couch I am going to mix it up a bit. The new couch is chocolate brown (perfect for matching the chocolate drips I might leave on it) and we are accenting with turquoise blue. I love redecorating! I used to do it in my dollhouse as a kid all the time.

52 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 27, 2010

Angela, I think your breakfast looks great! Anyway, I think something sheer-y for the curtains would be nice. It would allow for light to still enter the room but add a little color into the room as well — I’m thinking a light sheer-y color. Hope that helps!

53 Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 27, 2010

Hey Ang,
I was at home depot yesterday and they have the most beautiful wall paper.. I was thinking about buying some and framing it, it’s so vibrant, lush and gorgeous!! It would make fantastic pops of color!! There were a bunch of green ones too!!

Looks awesome though, you’re doing a great job!! :)

54 Kelly July 27, 2010

Oh I love all he green details!! Green is my favorite color :) As for curtains.. I think a cream/off-white sheer curtain would look awesome.. with maybe grommets for holes?

I love our living room because it is a soothing sage green color and has lots of cushy seating! It’s so cozy :)

55 Naomi(oneFF) July 27, 2010

the colors in that room…WORK I love the accents :)

56 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 27, 2010

That looks great! I love decorating, too, but since I move every year and still rent most of my stuff is white. It works in just about every place you could possibly live. I don’t really have accent pieces because I think it’s a waste to buy them when you’ll move again and may not have room for them. One day, though, I’ll reach my dream of owning a house and then go to town. Or, you know, wish I had the money to go to town!

57 Carla July 27, 2010

Your home is beautiful…and I love, love, love your couch!!!! Looks super comfy!!!!:)

58 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 27, 2010

Love the colour scheme! I could see a close-up pic of you and Eric smoochin’ for above the fireplace! ;) Or that last one on your wedding page? Something that says “family.” Can’t help with curtains, I’m kinda clueless there.

59 Margarita July 27, 2010

Your home is beautiful, I love the big open room. Have you ever thought of painting out all the dark wood into white?

60 Wei Wei July 27, 2010

These are great tips! I actually thougt you were going to talk about your Canadian accent for a second ;) I think it’s cute, by the way. :D

Wei Wei

61 Kat @ My Fruity Life July 27, 2010

I love those tall , large windows in your living room. I dream of big windows like that. If I were you, I wouldn’t cover them up with shades. I like the bare, clean look. I see a lot of bare windows in the Pottery Barn catalogs…and the trim may be painted white. I think their just lovely with nothing on them.

62 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life July 27, 2010

I think my favorite room in the house is probably the girls’ room. We just painted it this purple color that has just a hint of pink about and we bordered the room in white. It’s precious!

63 Alyson @ Nourished Fitness July 27, 2010

I love your style! If I win the lottery I would like to hire you as my decorator along with a lifetime supply of Glo Bars :)

64 Nikki T July 27, 2010

Loving the color scheme you went with…it’s the same as my house! I also have an ‘unfinished’ living room as furniture is expensive! We need new couches, coffee table and possibly an area rug, but for now I’ve gone with using pillows for pops of color- they are the same green as your fruit bowl! Love it!

65 Jessica July 27, 2010

I love what you have done with your den/living room so far! I am in the process of decorating our new house (we are just renting, but we still need to hang pictures, curtains, etc.) I have always liked curtains that go to the floor. They add so much drama to any room! I don’t like spending much money, so I have bought curtains from Target (their store brand) and I really like Walmart’s Canopy line. I think a neutral color would work well for your drapes, like a tan/taupe color. Happy decorating! : )

66 Jessica July 28, 2010

Oh my gosh! I just realized I have that same pillow from Walmart. I actually bought it the other day. Good choice!

67 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 27, 2010

A color scheme seems so simple yet I’ve never thought of it before. What a great idea! I’ll keep it in mind… for when I actually have a real home (college student, moved 5 times in last 2 years). :'{

68 Callie July 27, 2010

Those oats look so good! I’m drooling over the chocolate. :)
I love your bowl with the fake lemon and limes.
Maybe I’ll redecorate our living room today? Thanks for the tips!

69 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 27, 2010

I just added some new accent decorations to my living room as well! Everything I had before was kitchy souveniers from our travels and NOTHING matched. It was driving me crazy! Plus the shelves themselves were a mess and needed some tidying up.

I went with a cool blue/silver color scheme and took out any accessory that wasn’t that color. I picked up a couple of things at Hobby Lobby (a craft and home furnishing store, not sure if you have those) and had some things at home that already matched the scheme.

It looks way better now if I do say so! http://fitfunandfabulous.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/living-room-redesign/

Your home is so beautiful!!! I would love to live somewhere that has a little more nature present. I live in a concrete jungle.

70 Emily July 27, 2010

Hi Angela! Thanks for the great post. I’m moving into a new apartment on Saturday and am going to be doing some decorating. I get pretty overwhelmed too but was thinking about using green and was confirmed by how great it looks in your living room. There is a lot of brown and cream in my apartment and so I think it’ll really pop and still look clean. :)

71 Sara July 27, 2010

Our living room is actually a lot like yours – few pieces of furniture, dark brown couch & chair. We went with a dark brown & blues scheme, so very similar to yours! We can’t paint since we’re renting so that would have helped, but the one thing that REALLY brought the room together was the curtains. They’re just a nice blue color but they really accented everything nicely. If you find some green curtains I think they’d have that burst of color that would help make it stand out more. We also put up shelves in our living room so we’d have more room to put decorative stuff like the things you picked up since we don’t have a lot of space otherwise. We filled up the shelves with frames, decorative stuff, etc, and so they serve as a focal point for the room with a few of our favorite things! :)

72 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 27, 2010

I love my basement, which has a lot of black, white and red. I also love my bedroom that is blue and brown.

73 Alexandra July 27, 2010

I finally made my first VOO this weekend! Clearly my excitement over oats goes completely unappreciated at home, so I thought it more appropriate to share here. I used Almond milk, Choc. Amazing Grass, Chia (which I am completely in love with), and vanilla. Pretty basic, but SO good! My food processor is broken so I chopped up some frozen banana chunks and mixed them in with PB. Amazing, thank you! P.S. I am new to Almond Milk, I actually don’t drink any milk really. The box needs to be used within 7-10 days, and other recipe ideas to not waste it?

74 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 27, 2010

Lovin’ the VOO! Yumm! and the green accents in the pillows and other decorations is gorgeous!

75 Megan July 27, 2010

I think that a cream white or pale yellow would really bring light to the room and still fit within the color scheme. I am not a fan of mini blinds (or any blinds) so I would just take them off and do a cloth window treatment in both or one of those colors. But thats just me :)

Love this post

76 Grace July 27, 2010

In addition to curtains, an option for the windows is to paint the blinds a different color if you don’t like the hunter green, but don’t want to replace them – maybe in a chocolate brown color? This DIY site has some instructions (although it does a bit time consuming): http://www.doityourself.com/stry/paintingblinds

77 Carley July 27, 2010

Oh my goodness what a BEAUTIFUL breakfast!!! Your house looks adorable, I especially like how green it is outside (miss that now that I’m living in the desert). You are one talented chica!

78 Lindsay July 27, 2010

I never used to be any good at decorating, but now my friends ask me for advice. That’s exactly what I tell them — get a color scheme. Once I did that, it was a lot easier. Mine is blue, green and white. I have a studio apartment, so it was even easier because I HAD to make my “bedroom” blue, green and white, too, since it’s in the same room as everything else.

79 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 27, 2010

I love the colour scheme you picked! The room is looking great. :)

For me choosing the colours is the hardest part about redecorating! I’ve been redoing my room this summer and I’m really struggling to pick some colours right now!

80 Gina (@ Looking Forward) July 27, 2010

I love your posts on decorating! I think you have great taste and I love reading the comments from your readers for even more ideas! I have been wanting to hang original photographs for some time and can’t wait to hear about the canvas outcome, I think that would look fabulous! I am currently trying to peice together some ideas to make my office at work a more enjoyable place to spend 8-9 hours of my day. I started with plants, and am now onto art/photos!

81 Michelle July 27, 2010

I love the green and brown combo! My bedroom and living room is blue & brown, wedding colors were pink & brown and we have a guestroom that is green & brown. I think there might be a pattern ;)

82 Laura (B Foxy Fitness) July 27, 2010

Sweeeeet color scheme! I love the citrus colors paired with chocolate. I wouldn’t have thought to put those together, but it rocks! :) You’re such a creative decorator! I’m really digging wall decals right now. They’re like ginormous stickers for the wall (and they remove cleanly and easily). There’s a lot of Etsy sellers who can create custom decals. Might be an idea for that bare wall. Have a fabulous day, girlie!

83 Dara July 27, 2010

The billowy white semi-sheer curtains as per YHL would be fantastic as they will soften the blinds you already have while still letting the green peep through to go with the room! I personally think this is the best option as anything linen or ivory (while fantastic) are too solid and might make your room heavy looking. Especially considering the gorgeous view and light that your windows provide. But that might just be the summer feel I’m getting. Keep in mind all the seasons here =)

84 Shamima July 27, 2010

I love decorative pillows. I tend to go for rich earthtone colours. Our living room has pillows with reds, gold, orange and browns. And I definitely second how great it is to have plants in the living room.

85 Valerie July 27, 2010

I love how you decorated the place! I agree… color scheme is everything. My room at my parents’ house from before I started college never really had the right theme to it… I love it because it’s mine, but I get so much more excited shopping for my apartment now because I immediately began shopping for specific color pieces (a blue/green/white with some wooden pieces). My friends and I went to iKea the other day and I just about fell in love. I envy you for your many gift certificates! Your place looks gorgeous.

86 Bethany (Blessed and Inspired) July 27, 2010

I would actually leave your windows just as they are! If you do want to add a treatment, though, I would look into the silk drapes at Pottery Barn – my parents have them and they’re so elegant.

87 Allison July 27, 2010
88 Ashlyn Bergman July 27, 2010

I adore your decor! I love reading your blog and trying your yummy recipes! I think the engagement pics would look fab! I would try to utilize all the natural light you can from your windows- not a shabby view. I am really into the curtains that are triangular. You could use a fabric that is a solid pattern or one that you prefer from a fabric store. You can also change them over the years.

89 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 27, 2010

Beautiful house! I think you could be in Martha’s magazine. Love lime green.

90 Amanda July 27, 2010

have you thought about painting your fireplace a light color to brighten up the room and make the space feel more cohesive? i probably wouldn’t have thought about painting a fireplace myself, but after looking at what they’ve done over at ‘young house love’ it seems like the only way to go!

LOVE your blog by the way! i recently found it and it’s my new favorite daily read – so inspirational =D

91 Tanya Kummerow July 27, 2010

ha ha, we had the same Ikea coffee table that just fell to pieces. We of course replaced it with another Ikea coffee table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30045484), just one that was a little more sturdy. It is a dark wood and might go nice in your space as well. Love the lemon and lime theme. I always find it so hard to decorate as well. We decided on a floral scheme for our living room…it didn’t narrow the range very well! Curtains are a bugger…it may take me years still to pick those out. One helpful hint is to find an inspiration piece. That one thing that stands out to you and purchase it (cheap or expensive) and then base the entire room off of that piece. I like to find one piece that is very classy and it usually ends up being pricy, but then I can balance it with lots of cheaper pieces. My inspiration piece in my living room is the lamp shade from Anthropologie (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=HOME-LIGHTING-SHADES&id=860028&catId=HOME-LIGHTING&pushId=HOME-LIGHTING&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=35&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=bla&colorName=BLACK&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=). Love it! Hope that helps!

92 Diana July 27, 2010

I’m loving all the green!!! Looks very frest and clean! Can’t wait to see what you do with those walls!
Diana

93 erica July 27, 2010

i loooove your color scheme! pillows really do add a great punch!
i’m trying to love the color scheme in my home..

94 Winnie July 27, 2010

I think you should go with curtains that are neutral with some kind of texture that way if you get tired of your color scheme it’s easy and cheap to swap out the accessories. Curtains are so expensive. You should also put up your picture of that beautiful chard.

I tried making VOO but it came out so watery. I left out the chia seeds. Did that make a difference in the thickness? If so, can I use flax meal? I love reading your blog. So funny!

95 AGS July 27, 2010

So domestic. I consider home decorating one of my weaker points. As for curtains, you may wish to consider a simple white valence — this keeps with the clean and fresh feel of the room, isn’t too expensive, and can be used in later window treatments.

I put together some photo collages for us, as well as some for friends and family, and they were a huge hit. A large collage of photos that make you happy when you look at them, is defnitely one of the best things you can put in a room!

96 Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 27, 2010

I love the bright green as an accent. Really pops.

97 Lalla July 27, 2010

your house is just… incredibilmente favolosa!!! W-O-W i like the brics in the wall!!!
And love the acid green you choosed as an accent, my mom has the same color, she think it’s wonderful with brown and with the plants she has in the living room. She is right! ;)
She has neutral courtains that suits the brown of wood and of the sofa, but she added some fabric stripes of the same acid green. This is very nice and (crazy mom) sometimes, when she is tired of the acid green, she take the stripes off and she change it with orange stripes, as well as she puts orange cushions and some orange pots.

98 Amber K July 27, 2010

I don’t have a particular favorite room in my apartment. In fact, none of the rooms are decorated. I have random things hung up that I’ve made, things that we’ve inherited, and a few pictures. But no color schemes or anything like that. I’m just not creative like that and I don’t pay much attention to that kind of stuff! But your room looks beautiful.

99 Kaitlin With Honey July 27, 2010

I just want to copy you all across the board! That oat parfait looks out of this world and I love the pops of color in your house! That room is gorgeous.

As for a favorite room, in both my own apartment and in my parents’ house, I have not a favorite room, but a favorite sitting place. In my apartment, I love to curl up in this huge, comfy chair that I scored for $25 off ebay. In my parents’ house, I love to read on their sofa in the living room. I’m getting nostalgic just thinking about it!

100 Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 27, 2010

I LOVE your living room!!! My favorite room’s my kitchen- which also has a green color scheme. :D The walls are green, the dishes are either clear or black and white..the appliances are white for the most part (but they’re old and don’t really match, that’s the only downfall!) :)

101 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 27, 2010

I am so in love with your couch! I have always wanted a big, comfy, stretch-your-legs-out couch like that – heaven!

102 Nicole P July 27, 2010

Is there any way you could take the blinds down and spray paint them in a different color to go more with your theme? Maybe then you would appreciate them even more. I have always been so lost when it comes to curtains but I would maybe pick a neutral color in the beige family. Something lighter than your couch but not green as the room has a good balance of green in it already and you don’t want to overwhelm the room. I think your house is just amazing by the way- I love those windows!!

103 Lana July 27, 2010

I totally think green curtains (to match the green pillow) and those wooden blinds would do the trick! It’s looking great so far!!

104 Jill July 27, 2010

I would get rid of the green blinds and hang indian cotton sheers at either side – layer a pure white one with a lime green one underneath.
I like the picture setup on the wall behind the couch – keeps it simple and uncluttered!

I love decorating too! My hubby and I just picked out a new wall colour for our living room. Can’t wait until its painted, and then I will run wild with accent colours!!!

105 Ana July 27, 2010

I love your oats pictures and the one today looks amazing!!
So the chocolate that is garnishing the oats is the same you use for the raw chocolate chips??
It almost looks like there is a cookie layer on one side, or cookie crumbs or something… I really want to make that, that chocolate piece looks amazingly good, I want that on my oats too!!!
You are great with decorations, oh my, I would love to have a friend close to me with those talents, I am terrible at decorating and I would like to have my house look nicer than it is now (pretty plain!)
Ana

106 Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 27, 2010

ooooh I love the new additions! Green is my favourite colour!!!

107 Emily July 27, 2010

Love the new decor and color scheme! Chocolate and lime green look great together and your house is beautiful! My bedroom right now is my favorite, the color scheme is raspberry, lime and white. I love it for right now but I am addicted to buying new bedding and redecorating. I think there are Pier 1’s in Canada and that’s a great place to get fun decorative stuff :)

108 Nessy July 27, 2010

The overnight oat parfait looks amazing! Your living room is absolutely gorgeous. I love the color scheme with the chocolate and lime green! That is definitely one of my favorite combinations. I also really like a blue and chocolate color scheme. My friend’s bedroom is those colors and it looks so nice!

109 Lana July 27, 2010

Your home is looking great!!! Some green curtains (that match the green pillow) would definitely add a little color and brightness to the room. I love all the new nick-nacks you purchased…The room will look incredible as soon as you tackle the decorating monster!!!

110 Carla in Sydney July 27, 2010

This room looks great Angela! You have done a great job. I love how you can see all the green trees through the glass windows/doors and this matches your colour (not a spelling error: we are odd in Australia!) scheme too. Do you have to cover up the glass?? I think it looks fantastic without any curtains or blinds….so bright and natural looking! The pieces you have chosen complement each other so well.

My colour scheme is red, black and white with touches of silver/grey. My whole house is decorated in these colours….even our dish cloth is red!! I agree that once you know the colours you are looking for, it is so easy to decorate. Can’t wait to see more rooms of your lovely house! :-)

111 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 27, 2010

The chocolate garnish looks amazing.

112 Audrey July 27, 2010

I love the french doors. I think your plan for the wall pictures looks really good. I really enjoy your posts like this.

113 Anni July 28, 2010

Hi Angela!
I’ve been a quiet reader for a while but thought I’d comment now, since when looking at your picture I immediately saw white/light green curtaines (don’t know why I was thinking thick stripes but of course some nice print would be great too), something like the colors on one of the pillows you bought.
Thanks for the inspiring blog, reading it is definitely one of the highlights of my day! Keep up the good work!
Greetings from Finland,
Anni

114 Cara July 28, 2010

Your breakie creations continue to surprise me and leave me speechless! Delish!
I love making my meals special to and really, truly enjoying them.

115 Kendel @ Eating Abroad July 28, 2010

Your room is certainly coming along. I think the pictures really will make it. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

116 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 28, 2010

Why that VOO looks sooo goooood! I’m gonna have to look into that homemade raw chocolate :)

And your house looks lovely, by the way!

117 amyt July 29, 2010

LOVE the greens!! And I like the ideas of the prints. The coffee table I got last Christmas would look so good in there – I went with a Big round one, two levels – the bottem is solid wood – the top is trimmed in wood, but the center of it is tiles…..greens are the main colors – I am in love with it!!! I could email you a pic if you like?? amy.thompson@dep.state.fl.us

118 amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler July 30, 2010

That parfait is GORGEOUS! I need to try that some day.