It’s All About The Accent

Top of the morning to you!

I had a fabulous 8 hours of sleep last night! Wheeeeee. No nicky nicky nine door antics. This is progress.

IMG 4450 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was killer this morning. I feel like I haven’t had one in forever!!! Her Mix-A-Lot has been getting all of my love and adoration lately.

Carob, Cacao, & PB Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• Carob Vegan Overnight Oats (1/2 cup oats, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1.25 cups almond milk, 1.5 tbsp carob powder)
  • Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1 tbsp peanut butter)
  • 1/4 cup Rice Crisp cereal (for layering)
  • Cacao nibs (for layering)
  • Carob powder, for garnish
  • Homemade raw chocolate, for garnish
  • Unsweet. coconut, for garnish

Directions: Make the carob Vegan overnight oats by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl and leaving in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours. In the morning, Make the PB Banana Soft Serve. Layer the soft serve with the VOO, cacao nibs, and rice crisp. Sprinkle with carob powder and coconut. Add two chunks of homemade chocolate and enjoy!

IMG 4439 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

This was incredible! I love, love, love the rice crisp added as a layer in the middle. Same with the cacao nibs. So crunchy!

IMG 4465 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Simple Decorating Trick: Pick a colour scheme!

Ok, so last night I promised you some decorating footage!

On Sunday, I realized that Eric and I still had gift cards that were given to us for wedding gifts almost 2 years ago! We had gift cards to William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Winners, and Crate & Barrel. I asked Eric to come with me and he said he ‘trusted me’ to do it alone. aka…he hates shopping! So I tackled it myself like a champ. One of my favourite things to do is decorate, so I didn’t mind.

We finished renovating and painting the family room in Fall 2009. And then we left it. No decor, no colour, nothing on the walls. We were scared.

It occurred to me that the reason why we never ‘finish’ decorating rooms is because we never develop a colour scheme to guide us.

I thought the colour scheme of chocolate, lime, and lemon would look awesome together (with yellow and green being the accent pieces). I picked those colours because there is a lot of chocolate already in the room (couch, wood, bricks) and I picked yellow and green because there are some engagement pictures I want to blow up that have yellow and green in them. The room naturally has lots of green in it with the large windows and the trees in he backyard too.

Now that I had three colours in mind, it automatically narrowed down a ton of options. I didn’t feel overwhelmed as I usually do when looking for home decor. I just scanned the stores for those three colours and it was so much easier!

One great way to add accent colours is with fun and bright pillows…

The two pillows on the right are from Crate and Barrel and the one on the left is from Wal-mart.

IMG 4484 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I got 6 so far and might pick up another 2 or 3 as I see fit.

IMG 4483 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4480 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I love how something as simple as pillows can transform a room!

IMG 4498 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Then I bought some accent pieces to add to the room…

This lime green pot is from Winners and the faux fruit are from Pottery barn.

IMG 4467 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Love this sculpted piece from Winners.

IMG 4472 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Also both from Winners!

IMG 4473 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4474 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

The lemon tree is from Pottery Barn (sorry the pic is blurry!)

IMG 4475 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Right now all of that stuff above is on the fireplace because we don’t have any family room furniture aside from the couch and the Ikea coffee table.

IMG 4500 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My plan for the fireplace is to remove the large picture on top and add a print with the accent colours to give it more of a pop of colour. Maybe one of our wedding or travel pictures would work there?

I would love to purchase a nice coffee table, corner chest, and small table, but that won’t be for a while. I drooled at all of Crate and Barrel’s furniture…they have some gorgeous things in there.

IMG 4490 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

What I am focusing on right now:

1) Prints for walls (see below)

2) Coffee table

3) Decorative Curtains

IMG 4499 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Something is definitely still missing to pull this room together!

We will also eventually be putting hardwood on the floors and removing the carpet.

I want to do prints of a few of our engagement pictures. I am going to pick some with the most vibrant green backgrounds. Luckily we have a lot of engagement pictures with bright green in the background so it works perfectly! I am going to do one huge one and 2 smaller ones.

IMG 4499b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I also want to hang curtains, but I find it so difficult to figure out what would look good!

Ideas?

IMG 4498b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I really dislike the hunter green blinds that are up right now. I would like to keep them up though because they were custom made and they are good when you need to block out the light. I would just like something to cover them up.

I also haven’t showed you the other side of the room with a fireplace. I will do that in another post.

Today’s question: Do you have a favourite room right now in your living space? Do you have a favourite colour scheme or colours that you are drawn to for home decor?

I am also looking for a colour scheme for the entry way and eventually dining room. Right now we have Biscuit by Sherwin Williams on the walls of the entry way, but that is it.

I’ve got a busy day of work and I am going to squeeze in a run at some point. See you later and enjoy your day!

Michal July 27, 2010

No colors right now, but when I was a teenager my parents let me paint my room “Teal Zeal,” and someday I want a teal+cream color scheme! Then I’d throw in some blue accents.

Little Bookworm July 27, 2010

Your breakfast looks amazing! :D

Ashley July 27, 2010

LOVE the decorating. Also enjoy seeing all of your updates. I’m so so sick of renting and never developing a style. Not worth it yet! That VOO looks ridiculous. I’m on my way over. Just caught up on all of your posts from this last week. Delicious eats as always :) xo

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 27, 2010

Your livingroom is lovely Angela! I really like the combo of those three colors. Ours are a russet red, some deep green, cream, and brown. Hmm, that sounds Christmasy, but I promise it’s not.

Kitchen has mostly golds and reds.

Cute topic!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 27, 2010

Your living room looks great so far! I tend to go with similar colors: blues, greens, and browns.

Jodi July 27, 2010

Hi Angela! I love the lime green accents you added!
Last week you were talking about canvas prints for your kitchen, and I wanted to mention that you could make your own. Canvas’ are always on sale at Michael’s and with a some mod-podge and your fave photos you can make your own. Here’s the link… http://momspark.net/need-art-try-mod-podge/

Amy Bellgardt {Mom Spark} July 27, 2010

Thanks for the mention, Jodi! I love my mod podge art and it was way easy.

Jessica @ How Sweet July 27, 2010

The room looks great! Those are actually the colors of our family room too – greens, browns, and we also have some blues!

bee (in ten days) July 27, 2010

ahhh, i would love to have that much natural light in my house! beautiful!

Christie {Honoring Health} July 27, 2010

It looks great so far!

I always think curtains are the hardest to pick, as well. They feel so permanent, I think.

Exercise and Eat July 27, 2010

Do you realize how fantastic your breakfast looks!?! WOW!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 27, 2010

I’m thinking of doing a Canadiana theme in my home office with earthy colours.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 27, 2010

Looks great!! I love the lime and yellow pops of colour against the chocolate. My favourite room colour-wise in my house is the living room. All but 1 wall (which is a half wall) are a shade of light blue, and the half wall is a brighter, more intense blue right behind our TV. it sort of separates the living room from the dining room and makes that whole side of the house look less narrow. I’ve decorated it with some bright flower prints (Wal Mart specials!), and black leather couches with bright pink, blue and yellow pillows. I like my colours!

And PS, as per usual, your bfast is making me drool!

Julianne July 27, 2010

Love the living room! You could hang up bamboo shades to cover up the green blinds. Hang them a little higher than the top of the window and then add curtain panels? Young House Love has a great post about curtain and window how-tos!

Paula July 27, 2010

Agreed! Bamboo shades over (or replacing) the green blinds would look perfect in that room! Set it off by flanking the windows with long panels and the room will look all polished and complete! Ditto Mel below suggesting white. With your wall and furniture colors and the wood accents, and now that you have those adorable white pillows, I think white panels would look awesome. It would look so earthy, yet light and clean and ethereal! Kind of like the living room at a zen spa!

Alternatively, if you wanted something super clean and simple, you could replace the green blinds with gorgeous white roman shades, and then you wouldn’t be covering the beautiful wood molding around the windows.

tanyasDailyProductReviews July 27, 2010

I like that green…it looks good

Mel July 27, 2010

The Young House Love idea of billowy white floor to ceiling curtains would look great in there and I think they can be pretty inexpensive (Ikea?).

Allie July 27, 2010

Wow that parfait looks amazing! Hard to believe it is breakfast :) I can’t wait until I have a home of my own to decorate, looks like so much fun.

christine July 27, 2010

you should put a mirror above the fireplace! always makes the room look bigger and brighter

Lola July 27, 2010

You could add a shear light curtain over the hunter green blinds. It will still let light in if you keep the blinds up or covers them if you decide to put them down. It might even lighten the color a bit. You could also add heavier curtains to the side of the windows for some oomph lol

Tina July 27, 2010

That parfait looks like a fancy dessert.

I love that color scheme. Greens and browns are my favorite. And I agree with the above commenter. A mirror would look great there.

Therese July 27, 2010

Love your ideas and LOVE the colour scheme! I was actually going to use the same colour scheme in our upstairs kitchen/sitting room! We have beige walls with chocolate brown furniture and I liked the idea of a fresh green to add some colour but changed my mind at the last minute and we’ve decided to go with slate toned colours that would match the pillows that came with the couch. Of course, we haven’t actually done any of that yet…

My favourite room in the house is actually the bathroom. My boyfriend actually choose all the colours and furniture in the house as it was being renovated before I moved in but he did a darned good job. The bathroom is pretty dramatic, it’s all greys, blacks and sage green. An entire glassed in shower with black tile it’s very much a bachelor bathroom but I plan to add some feminine touches!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 27, 2010

I love using bright colors like lime green, especially as accents! You have great style!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 27, 2010

I am definitely not the decorator in our house. But my boyfriend is an artist so that’s why I leave it up to him. We currently have over 20 pieces of original artwork from either him or some of our friends hung on every possible wall in our tiny Toronto apartment.

Linsey G. July 27, 2010

Good morning! I have to know, where did you get that couch? I’m looking for exactly this kind of sectional, and I love the dark color of yours (I have five kids, a huge dog and 2 cats, dark fabric is a must). Thank you!!

Morgan July 27, 2010

My VOO’s always look so messy! Have you tried using GM banana soft serve? I tried it this morning with kale and blueberries and it’s not pretty but it actually tastes really good with overnight oats.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 27, 2010

I love the lime green, yellow and chocolate combo. Your home looks so warm and inviting and I love that just outside the window you have nature!

Drashti July 27, 2010

Get a bright white/off white curtains with green and chocolate/coffee prints.. something like your pillow :) … White always retains brightness and warmth of family room… If too difficult to find you can easily get white and green combo and sew/glue some chocolate/coffee beads/laces… you are much more creative… create something unique of your own to match your theme :) .. It will be lots of fun.

BTW I made your cherry coconut butter banana bread and it turned out simply superb :) Thanks a lot for sharing recipe.

Mellissa July 27, 2010

We have our family room in a light sage green from Sherwin Williams while our kitchen and eat in area is an orangish/brown called Brandywine and those colors flow well. We have a dark brown sectional with blues, yellows, greens in the pillows.

Holly @ Self-love and Running July 27, 2010

That breakfast looks absolutely amazing. Yum!

I am trying overnight oats tomorrow!

Our kitchen is one of my favorite rooms. We painted it a sunny yellow and it has these wonderful built in shelves. The cupboards don’t match and neither do the countertops but it’s homey. I also really like our spare bedroom/my sewing room. It’s bright green (I think the color was called pickle!) and has a window seat. We ripped out the horrid red carpet that was in there put down a cream area rug over the naturally distressed floorboards. Come to think of it, those are the only 2 rooms we have put work into, so maybe that’s why they’re my favorites!

rachel July 27, 2010

that room looks gorgeous as is!! and oh my i want that breakfast.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 27, 2010

Oh my that couch of yours looks so inviting! Beautiful choices! As for window shades, I’d suggest something neutral, similar to the color of your walls.

Right now our living room is in similar colors – dark brown furniture, accented with green, yellow, and even a bit of purple.

Alexis {Mission: Ambition} July 27, 2010

Your parfait looks particularly pretty this morning! :) I love your color scheme – I always seem to use browns and greens together in my house.

Kathryn July 27, 2010

First off – I want to live on your couch. I think if I had a mini fridge I could actually live there right on the couch.

We had a dark sage green in our house with tan walls and I was always feeling like the room needed something and about a year ago we painted just one wall a super dark purple color and it finally made the room feel finished. I LOVE accent walls!

Daniel July 27, 2010

I think your rooms and color schemes look great, I love browns and greens too! :D

And I tried Vegan Overnight Oats for the first time last night… when I prepared them I used 1/3 cup oats, 1 tbsp chia, some raisins and only 1/2 a cup of soy milk because it already looked like soup! I mixed them with cherry banana softserve in a glass and topped it with a tiny bit of granola and cacao nibs. Oh my goodness, the oats were soooo creamy!! I’m glad I finally gave this a try, I can’t wait to try a pumpkin version!! :D

Now I just need to get a nice parfait glass so everything isn’t in really wide layers… :P

jenna July 27, 2010

i love the green in your home! it looks gorge.

I always have such a hard time with curtains as well. It’s so hard for me to visualize what would look good, what fits and so on. :-/

banandrea July 27, 2010

Love the decorating- that colour of green is beautiful! My mom used to own a home decor store and I’ve always loved arranging things in our house. Right now I’m working on my room- I just got the most gorgeous chair and chandelier… yes, a chandelier in my bedroom- how luxurious!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 27, 2010

That is a great way to decorate. It’s almost fool proof as long as you have the right balance of dominant versus accent colors.

Laura July 27, 2010

Beautiful! I love the choices you’ve made so far.

I think having art on the walls will bring the room together. For the windows, I’d go with either green silk curtains to match the green accents you already have, or something brighter, like an ivory linen. That will add some depth, I think!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 27, 2010

i LOVE the color scheme! beautiful :) my favorite room right now is the only room that’s been painted since we moved in…our guest bathroom! it’s this beautiful Mediterranean blue with lots of white and some deep red accents. i love it!

chelsey July 27, 2010

you just helped me tremendously!!! I love these colors together!! I’m trying to figure out what to do with our living room as we just moved into the house. After our wedding I need to go gung ho on decorating. I think I’m going to use your color scheme! One of the walls is already green, so I’m going to have to get more chocolate/lemon colors. You are a life saver. looove the pillows!

PS: not only did your decorating rock my world this morning, so did that parfait! yum!

Laura July 27, 2010

Oh, and plants!! Lots of plants. Not only are they beautiful, but many detox the air, removing the “off-gassing” that new textiles emit.

Page 1 of 3123»