Sunset Beach

IMG_3302

Good morning!

Date night was fun last night. Eric took me to the beach to watch the sunset.

It was such a gorgeous night out. Gotta make use of all these summer nights before they are gone!

IMG_3298

IMG_3319

Sadly the trees blocked the sunset, so we only got to see bits and pieces of it while biking home! But it was still beautiful.

IMG_3418

IMG_3329

IMG_3423

Hmm how did my Raw Energy Cookie Bite end up in my pocket…the cookie fairy must have put it there!

IMG_3426

Yum.

Biked home.

Removed sand from sneakers.

Ate a Frosty No-Bake Glo Cake.

Made Lavender tea.

Read Eat Pray Love.

Finished Book 2 India.

Dreamed about having an effortless run.

Woke up and did not have effortless run (maybe later?).

For the most part I enjoyed the India Book in Eat Pray Love. It has actually made me want to re-visit meditation in my own life. While many of the things Elizabeth talked about at the Ashram were a bit extreme for my taste, I realize that not every form of mediation is the same and one thing isn’t going to work for everyone. I appreciate the overall message of the book and I think it was a worthwhile read. I am really excited for Bali! I found by the end of the India book I was ready to move on.

IMG_3275

Frosty No-Bake Glo Cakes (Trial 2: Carob Peanut Butter)

In this version I sweetened the cakes with carob powder, took out the maple syrup, cocoa powder, and chocolate and I added more peanut butter. It was delicious! For the original recipe, see this post.

Ingredients:

• 1 large very ripe banana
  • 1/2 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup crisp rice cereal
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1-2 tbsp cacao nibs
  • 1.5 tbsp carob powder
  • Shredded unsweet. coconut, for garnish (optional)

Directions: Mash banana in a medium sized bowl (I use a potato masher!). Add carob powder and peanut butter, and stir until fully mixed. Now stir in oats, cacao nibs, and rice crisp. Divide into 4 Glo Cakes by spooning the batter into a muffin liner. I used reusable muffin liners are they worked perfectly. Sprinkle with coconut and place in the freezer for 60-80 minutes. Do not over-freeze them. You want them a bit chewy and not too hard. They will however melt quite fast so please serve immediately.

They also have a great nutritional profile!

rawcake

[Includes all ingredients above except the coconut garnish]

The reusable muffin liners worked awesome!

IMG_3249

I realized why I love these so much…they are basically like eating frozen vegan overnight oats!

IMG_3245

IMG_3264

All kinds of yum. I had one after the bike ride and it was so refreshing.

IMG_3269

I am off to get back to work..have a wonderful day and I’ll see you later!

Page 2 of 2«12
Penny Knight July 28, 2010

After dreaming about these since this post went up I finally made some of my own tonight. So much healthier than the No Bake Cookies I ate when I was little. I used Cocoa Powder instead of Carob powder and sweetened with Honey, then decided I wanted a little spice to my life and added 2tsp of cinnamon. MMMM, I might eat them all tonight;)

MB July 21, 2010

The “Pray” part was my least favorite part of the book. When you finish it and are looking for something a little more light-hearted to read, you should check out Drink Play F@ck which is the guys version of the story. It’s about Gilbert’s husband going to Ireland, Vegas and Thailand after his wife goes off to Italy. It was a fun read.

Allison July 20, 2010

I just started reading Eat, Pray, Love too. So far I love it! She’s so easy to identify with! I hope the movie is as good as the book.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 20, 2010

Thanks for the recipe, those look so good. Gotta get some reusable muffin cups.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 20, 2010

I can’t wait for my bananas to hurry up and ripen so that I can make these!

I love the reusable muffin cups. Where did you get yours? :)

Palma July 20, 2010

Today I tried my version of your frosty no-bake treats and funnily enough I also used carob powder (just a bit less than you) :)
I made a couple of substitutions because of what I had in the pantry, but they were delicious. Here are the ingredients:

1 large very ripe banana
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup crisp chocolate oat granola
2 tbsp dark almond butter
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tbsp cacao nibs
1 tsp carob powder

I would love that you give these a try and tell me what you think :)

Emily @ For Sweets Sake July 20, 2010

I’m so jealous you can wear pants and sweatshirts in the summer! It’s tooo hot in Florida! I am not a southern girl! haha :)

Leah July 20, 2010

Those look amazing. I think I’ll need to try those soon. Do you have any suggestions on making them nut free? I think the kids will love the, but for school we must be nut free.

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 20, 2010

What a great evening bike ride! The new Glo cakes look awesome!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 20, 2010

What a beautiful trail to take a bike ride on. I wish I had something like that close to home.

Kristin July 20, 2010

We’ve made the frosty no-bake treats a couple of times already, and I thought you’d like to know that my girls have nicknamed them “Pookies” becuase they are somewhere between a popsicle and a cookie!

I actually ate them for breakfast every day for a while….makes mornings EASY.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

haha pookies, love that

Laura (youngDCliving) July 20, 2010

I love those reusable muffin liners! I don’t have any of those, but I do have a silicone muffin pan and I love it–everything slides out so easily and clean up is a breeze.

Where you live is gorgeous–I NEED to visit Canada :)

Rosey Rebecca July 20, 2010

What a beautiful date night! I love nights like that. They make me smile.

Reusable muffin liner are such a good idea! Are they hard to clean?

Your raspberry vinaigrette from the previous post looks amazing (catching up on posts, so i figured I’d just leave every comment ever here!)

The no-bake glo cakes sound scrumptious!

Have an awesome day!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

I don’t find them hard to clean…sometimes I even pop them in the dishwasher!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 20, 2010

Sounds like a nice date night :-) Your Glo Cakes look amazing, of course! I should invest in some of those reusable muffine liners… what brand are yours?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

Im not sure, I checked on the bottom and there was no brand name :(

Callie July 20, 2010

Glad you had a great date night!
I’ve gotta try those cookies. They look so good. :)

Amber K July 20, 2010

What do you do with the leftovers? Or do they all get eaten right away?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2010

You just freeze them and pop them out when you want one. Just let them soften for 5 mins or so first.

Amber K July 20, 2010

awesome! Thanks =)

Lisa July 20, 2010

What a great place to swim and run! Looks like paradise!

Melissa July 20, 2010

What a gorgeous night! Love that picture of the sky!
Those frosty glo cakes are so cute. I need to get some of those reusable muffin containers.:)
Enjoy Bali in EPL!!!