Sticky Finger Plant

Good morning!

Well, I did not accomplish my goal of staying off the computer last night…I was working until 11:45pm last night. Oops. Tonight will be lots of fun though. I have a fun outing planned and I can’t wait to tell you about it!

Don’t think you are a runner? Believing you can do it is half the battle…

Here is an uplifting story that a reader named Irene told me about and we thought you might be inspired too!

run   Sticky Finger PlantHi Angela! I left a message on your blog on June 5 saying that I felt inspired by your Acura 10-miler race recap and wanted to run the same race this year, but I doubted if I could handle it.

You emailed me back and said I could try – and I did.

I ran a PR of 2:10:26 at the 2010 Acura 10 Miler yesterday.

I’m super proud of myself. ;-)  Before May this year, I had never even run 3km in my whole life and I’m in my 40′s.  I feel much better about myself after I started running ;-)

Thank you!

Congrats Irene! You are amazing and will be an inspiration for so many people out there who also think they cannot run a certain distance. Thanks for allowing me to share your success story!

Onto breakfast…

IMG 2323 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

Wake me up before you go go (I woke up with that song stuck in my head!)

IMG 2317 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

For breakfast I had vegan overnight oats that I prepared last night before bed. I decided to make a bowl of it this morning and throw in some fun toppings!

Almond Butter and Blueberry Jam Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 2291 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

VOO Add in’s:

The plant tried to stick his finger in for a try!!!

IMG 2290 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

For some reason I am not crazy about nut butter in my vegan overnight oats! Unless it is incorporated into the banana soft serve that is.

Back off plant!!

IMG 2313 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

I really enjoyed the blueberry jam in this.

IMG 2302 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant  IMG 2296 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

They were eying my breakfast too…

IMG 2315 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

IMG 2316 thumb   Sticky Finger Plant

Health News Round Up

Here are some of my favourite health and fitness links over the past week. Enjoy!

Yummy food spottings:

Git er done!

[But also remember- “You can do anything, but not everything.”~David Allen]   :biggrin:

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 13, 2010

Way to go Irene! Sometimes all it takes is someone else believing you can do it so that you can actually start believing in yourself.

Congrats again :)

Lauren @ Eater not a runner July 13, 2010

How inspiring! That is awesome :-)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 13, 2010

That is very inspiring!! I love stories like that :-)

I also love your mug– too cute!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 13, 2010

Coming from someone who hates to run but wishes she could – very inspiring!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 13, 2010

Congrats, Irene! It’s a great reminder that we usually can do more than we give ourselves credit for.

JenATX July 13, 2010

I think I’ll remember Irene’s story when I head out for a run today (something I am currently dreading because its hot out). If she can overcome her nerves for running I’m sure I can overcome some heat :)

Ameena July 13, 2010

Congrats to Irene! I agree with Tracey that we can often do more than we think we can, and as I age I really that more and more.

Rosey Rebecca July 13, 2010

I love that you include flower photos in each post. It makes me feel like I’m sitting in a garden or something. lol.

I’m a little obsessed with running at moment. I just ordered a headband that says “will run for wine.” I’m a little obsessed with wine, too.

Your vegan oats make me want to be a vegan. period.

Have a great day!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 13, 2010

Nice inspiring story to start the day. Wow you were up late.

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

Im typically up til 11:30-midnight every night!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self July 13, 2010

Congratulations, Irene! Very inspiring!

And Angela, thanks for the shout-out: my husband and I just love the In a Jiffy Spelt Burgers! :)

Cara July 13, 2010

Your flowers are stunning…nice shots.
The blueberries in your oatmeal make it looks quite pretty…I as well am not a fan of nut butters in my oatmeal..maybe I have to give it another try.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 13, 2010

Congrats to Irene! I ran taht race too on Sunday and it was a tough one (distance and heat!!) She should be so proud that she went out and did it. What a great accomplishment!

Courtney @ Three Months July 13, 2010

Congrats to Irene – very inspiring!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 13, 2010

Congrats Irene!

I love your overnight oats photos – I may just have to set one as my desktop background! :)

Alyssa @ bride to be fit July 13, 2010

Great job Irene! :)
I woke up singing the song “Home” by Edward Sharpe to my fiancé…. Such a catchy song!!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 13, 2010

Congratulations Irene! Thanks for sharing your story! I have yet to complete a race and reading stories like yours keeps my motivation up.

In my very first batch of VOO, I used almond butter as a topping and was turned off too. I really need to give it another shot.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 13, 2010

Love your tea kettle! Makes me want some hot tea right now. Especially the tea I had at the B&B in Colorado Springs where hubby and I stayed for our honeymoon. :)

I feel the same way about believing you can do it! I never used to be a runner, and I wouldn’t really consider myself one right now, but just believing that I COULD be one has really helped my endurance!

Jennifer July 13, 2010

Wow, what perfect timing for Irene’s story! I am trying to talk myself into signing up for a 5K right now. I think anyone can do a 5K, I just don’t know that *I* can do it. It’s always a great reminder to hear others tell us that we can do more than we think!

I LOVE nut butter in my oatmeal, but only if it’s hot oatmeal which I know you’re not a fan of. I get a lot of strange looks at work over it, but it’s soooooo delicious! It gets all melty and gooey and wonderful. Hmmm, I know what I’m having for breakfast!

Susan July 13, 2010

I have to thank you for introducing me to banana soft serve (I’ve been making the cherry banana)! I am addicted to it and love it over chilled oats. And the best part is that my notoriously picky 2 year old gobbles it up! He loves that I let him have “ice cream” for breakfast!

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

Thats great!

Lucy July 13, 2010

Hi! I discovered your blog last night and tried my first bowl of VOO this morning- what a PERFECT way to start the day! I am sure I will be experimenting and adapting a whole lot more now. Thank you for the inspiration on this site! X

Adrienne July 13, 2010

Congrats Irene!!
I ran the 10 miler on Sunday too! It was tough this year because of the humidity but I still feel great that I did it even though I ran much slower than last year!! Take every run as a fun and useful learning experience! I learned that 2 huge cups of coffee on race morning = bad times…couldn’t keep a steady pace, think I was too jittery!

Now everyone sign up for the Scotiabank and/or Goodlife marathons please!! :-)

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

I think I will do the half or 5k. Last year I ran both the scotia half and goodlife half back to back..it was insane

Adrienne July 13, 2010

Yes I don’t think I could do 2 marathons back to back like that…would be too crazy!! I want to try the 1/2 for the Scotiabank, then the full for the Goodlife..even if I have to crawl to the finish!

Side note – do you ever have any foot/toe/toenail issues from running?? I think it would make an interesting blog post subject as you have a ton of readers that are runners. I lost a toenail last year from training (ew I know)…but it grew back :-) Have any foot care tips??

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

I dont have any toe issues except during half sometimes my nail will cut my toe if it rubs up against it. I try and cut my toenails VERY short during running season and it helps. If all else fails wrap the problem toe in moleskin :)

Adrienne July 13, 2010

Thanks I’m going to get some moleskin!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 13, 2010

Hmm I think for overnight oats I wouldn’t like nut butta either. :) But for hot oats it’s perfect.

Major congrats to Irene. Way to go girl! :D

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 13, 2010

I love all of your links! I can’t wait to go through them :)

Camille July 13, 2010

Go Irene!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 13, 2010

i know that this is really not accepted well in the food blogger world, but i really don’t like almond all that much…except on carrots! carrots + almond butter = LOVE FOREVER :)

Andrea @ Sweet N Green July 13, 2010

I loved Irene’s story! It’s so timely too! I’m running my first 5k this Thursday and I’m so nervous! I’ve never thought I was a very good runner but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do. If Irene can do it, so can I :)

Jen July 13, 2010

Irene’s story inspired me to finally post to your blog, which I’ve been following for a couple of weeks now (and I just had my first green monster this morning — my partner actually made them for us — he does the cooking and has modified several of your recipes lately!). I have never super loved running, but after reading your blog I thought I’d give it another try. And I was promptly reminded of why I quit exercising in the first place. When I exercise, I get these awful, embarrassing, itchy, insanity-inducing hives all over me, but especially on my legs. It makes it a little difficult to focus on the mental aspect of running when I can’t manage the physical aspect. I’ve tried antihistamines, which improve the condition, but don’t completely cure it. Doctors (multiple doctors!) tell me to just deal with it because there’s no cure. It is really frustrating, and I end up returning from a run quicker than I’d like and extremely upset and frustrated because of my condition. Any one else out there experienced this and/or have any tips for how to overcome this? I feel really stuck because I’m eating healthier but it doesn’t seem to do much good if I can’t be physically active. I don’t mean to be a complainer, but I’d love some tips from people on how to deal with this! Thanks!

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

Hi Jen!

Im so sorry you have to go through that. From what I have heard it is quite common. While Eric doesnt get hives he does get a rash from hard workouts and that is frustrating enough for him, so I can imagine how you feel.

Ilana July 13, 2010

I had a near-identical bowl of oats this morning, banana, almond butter, blueberries :) When I make overnight oats I like to mash up a banana and add it in to the mix to set overnight (different from how you do it) and I always mash it up with my nut butter, so it’s kind of like banana-nutbutter oats. So good.

Really inspiring story, thanks for sharing!! You *ARE* an inspiration!!

skinnyrunner July 13, 2010

love the running inspiration story!

Wei-Wei July 13, 2010

Awesome story! She SHOULD be proud of herself – and you should be proud too, Ange! You’re an inspiration to us all and don’t you forget it! :)

Wei-Wei

Sarah for Real July 13, 2010

That’s pretty stinkin’ awesome Irene! Very inspiring!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA July 13, 2010

Last summer I went to Chicago and we saw a classic movie in Griffith Park and it was so much fun. It’s a summer park film festival that runs all summer and hundreds of people come sit in the park and watch. Definitely check it out!

Olivia July 13, 2010

Just wondering…do you measure the nut butter and jam or do you just guess how much you use?

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

I dont measure my own portions for the most part

Kristin (Salty Tooth) July 13, 2010

What a wonderful story!

Look forward to hearing about your outing!

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 13, 2010

Well done Irene!!! I like nut butter in everything!!

Hayley July 13, 2010

Very inspiring, Irene! I too, am a beginner runner and am just trying to find my groove as well. Ran a 4km in 25 minutes yesterday, a PR for me!

Angela, I’ve been curious to know what kind of sunscreen you use for outdoor running? I’ve tried quite a few myself but have never been completely happy with any one product. Either they’re gloopy, smelly or burn my sensitive skin. I would be grateful to hear others recommendations too!

AngelaOSG July 13, 2010

I use Neutrogena…its ok…not wonderful or anything.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2010

Congrats, Irene! That is so inspiring. It’s very true that you can really do anything if you just put your mind to it and are willing to put in the time.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 13, 2010

Congrats to Irene! Her story really hits close to home. I’ve been running for almost 2 years but I still don’t think I’m capable of doing a race. Sometimes all it takes is believing in yourself and then taking the plunge and signing up to do it. Maybe I won’t be so hesitant next time I have an opportunity to do a race!!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 13, 2010

I made blackberry banana softserve VOO yesterday, and they turned out PERFECTLY. Check out my blog for pretty pics!!!!

Kristina July 13, 2010

ha! love the plant trying to get your oats! :) I have the same problem, only the plant is a DOG. :)

that blueberry jam sounds awesome.

GREAT inspirational running story – for me especially, as I’ve been struggling with getting back to the endurance levels I used to have. getting there…

Page 1 of 212»