Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Good morning!

Word on the street is that you can eat the Yucca flower…

IMG 2217 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

You know this just makes my weekend finding this out. I’m not quite sure why.

IMG 2215 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

So of course I had to try it!

IMG 2219 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Don’t worry I didn’t put it in my Vegan overnight oats!

IMG 2224 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

I took a few inside and washed them and then tried a few petals…

IMG 2223 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

It was very light tasting with a slight astringent taste. I could see myself using the petals in a stir-fry!

This morning I wanted a delicious Vegan overnight oats parfait!

Last night I made the vegan overnight oats…

IMG 2193 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

In my classic vegan overnight oats:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and place in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours.

Well, first things first, I always make my japanese sencha green tea!

IMG 2196 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

I made Strawberry Almond Soft Serve using 3 strawberries, 1 frozen banana, and 1/2 tbsp homemade raw almond butter.

IMG 2199 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Boom.

IMG 2205 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

IMG 2208 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead IMG 2211 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

IMG 2209 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

No better way to begin a Monday!

IMG 2227 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

My Garlic Chives are out of control! It must be because I didn’t plant them (my mother in law did).  :tongue:

IMG 2228 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Some of you have been asking about where I get my dishware. Most of my VOO dishes are from Crate and Barrel. You might be surprised to know that most of them are actually VASES and not actual glasses! I go straight to the vase section for some fun and unusual glasses.

IMG 2230 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

IMG 2231 thumb   Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Goal-setting for the week ahead:

This morning, I decided to set a few goals to help ignite my motivation in areas where it is lacking. There are a few things in my life that I need to make an extra effort to accomplish! I figure if I make a list, that is half the battle (I love list making!).

My goals for the week:

1) Get in a LAP SWIM this week (we have been totally neglecting our lap swims!)

2) Go Biking (ditto above)

3) Get caught up on business document tracking (Enter in all receipts, transactions, etc)

4) Complete and send in Retail Sales Tax return

5) Get caught up on online orders by Wednesday PM

6) Start READING for pleasure again! (Any good book suggestions??)

7) Banking

8) Create downtime + relaxation in the evenings- stay off computer!

9) Get caught up on emails!!!

You may also be interested to read my 10 in 2010 goals, my post on how to set goals and achieve them, and positive and negative goals.

What are your goals for the week? Do you make a list at the beginning of each week?

MAKE IT A GREAT WEEK!  :biggrin:

Alex July 12, 2010

I have no goals for the week…I am going to go make some right now!!

I just started “The Life and Death of Charlie St. Cloud.” It is amazing and has already made me cry! Haha I am such a sap.

Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 12, 2010

I read that one last month! As soon as I saw the movie trailer, I checked it out of the library – MUST read books before movies come out!

Courtney @ Three Months July 12, 2010

Well, my blog centers around setting goals – so I’m definitely a fan! I do also make weekly lists – I look at to-do lists as goals. I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in California (whee!!) and then I have to get organized and make meals for my husband, as I’ll be leaving for vacation to visit my parents on Friday. I’ll be gone for a week, so I want to make sure I plan enough meals for him not to starve! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Goodluck with your interview!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 12, 2010

I am SO jealous everytime I see your VOO! Even though I can make them myself – and they’re fabulous – yours always LOOK better. Not fair!
Hmm…my goals this week…good marathon training runs, more schooling with my horse, work, bake :)

Jessica @ How Sweet July 12, 2010

I love goal setting. It is the one thing that keeps me moving through the week, especially since I hate my job. I usually set a few small ones for the week, but longer term ones at the beginning of each month. I keep them written in my planner so I always see them.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices July 12, 2010

I make lists all of the time. I obviously had so much on my mind last night because I woke up at 4 and had to write everything down for the week because I couldn’t sleep. As soon as I wrote it down, I fell back asleep. I usually outline each day if I have a busy week. It helps so much!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 12, 2010

Every morning I make a to-do list for the day, which helps me stay organized and complete the tasks I need to. For the weekends, when I do most of my chore-type stuff, I make another list. Writing the goals down helps me remember and gives me a sense of completion when I cross the tasks off.

Megan @ Sweet On.. July 12, 2010

Yummm!!! :D

I don’t always make a weekly list, but when I do I find it very helpful — I should make it a habit! My goals for this week are to move safely home to the US (tomorrow!) and do three running workouts.

The last book I read that I loved was “The Monsters of Templeton” by Lauren Groff. I really can’t recommend it enough – I could not put it down!

Whats it about?

Megan @ Sweet On.. July 12, 2010

From the author’s site: “One dark summer dawn, at the very moment that an enormous monster dies in Lake Glimmerglass, twenty-eight-year-old Willie Upton returns pregnant and miserable to her hometown of Templeton, N.Y. Willie is a descendant of the creator of the town, Marmaduke Temple, and she expects to be able to hide in the place that has been home to her family for centuries. But the monster changes the fabric of the village, and Willie’s mother, Vivienne, has a surprise for the girl that will send Willie careening through her family’s history to dig up clues about her heritage.”

It’s told from lots of different points of view, including a group of men who run together every day at dawn :) It was really great! You can read the first chapter here:

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Wow thank you so much! :)

Kara @ MyWellnest July 12, 2010

I’m a big list maker and goal setter, I love it!

Rosey Rebecca July 12, 2010

Ok- I have so much to say about this post, I don’t even know where to begin! :-)

1. I think it’s awesome that you ate a flower. I got dried hibiscus flowers from Trader Joe’s once. They tasted like fruit roll-ups. I love flower-flavored anything.

2. Strawberry-almond soft serve sounds incredible. Enough said.

3. Your parfait looks like something I’d order at a restaurant. You’ve totally inspired me to try it.

4. Crate & Barrel is an amazing store. And I LOVE that you use vases as glasses.

5. Your pics are all beautiful, as always.

The end.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

this comment just made my day, especially this, ‘ I think it’s awesome that you ate a flower’ LOL.

Jaya July 12, 2010

Angela, that looks like a hefty (but totally doable) goal list. I think that adding one thing into your schedule – in your case, the farmer’s market – can really cause you to require some major organization on the other six days! I make my to-do list every morning after I enjoy my tea. I have this little wipe board where I draw pictures and itemize my tasks.
Books? Get your hands on anything by Anthony Bourdain (I just finished “Nasty Bits” and loved it), or “Half the Sky” by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. I just read both and loved them! For belly-achingly awesome, I suggest “The Year of LIving Biblically” by A.J Jacobs. It’s thoughtful, intelligent and hilarious.

thank you!

Raylene July 12, 2010

Oh oh book suggestions! I love giving book suggestions! I read an enormous amount, especially since working at Chapters over christmas 2 years ago. Here’s a short list of suggestions (because I can’t make up my mind on just one):

Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood
Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals
Wally Lamb, I Know This Much is True

nice thank you!

Kari Schlobohm July 12, 2010

Yes, I Know This Much is True is an absolutely wonderful book. It is one of my favorite books. Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? This is another one of my favorite books.

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 12, 2010

You know, I’m not really one for the overnight oats (I made them once and they were not my cup of tea– perhaps a textural issue?), but yours always look so pretty and yummy! My question: is that a short vase, or a REALLY long spoon?!

My goals:
1. Set more goals. It helps me stay focused and keeps me from getting overwhelmed. Keeps my Superwoman Syndrome in check :D
2. Try to blog every day. I just started blogging and I find it very satisfying and FUN!
3. Streeeeeeeeeeeetch after every workout! Note to self: flopping onto the ground does not count as stretching.
4. Plan menus. Hail sanity!

Have a great week, and thanks, as always, for brightening up my day with your cheerful posting!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its a short vase and a REALLY long spoon. LOL. booyah!

Claire July 12, 2010

I too want to find a new book to read for pleasure. I need come up with some goals but it seems like a pretty busy work week ahead! I hope to get at least 3 runs in though! The strawberry almond soft serve looks delicious!

MarathonVal July 12, 2010

My favorite book of all time, and the only book that I can read over and over again, is The Time Traveler’s Wife. I read it every summer and love it to pieces!

PS, it is 1 million times better than the movie…. the movie was an abomination and a complete disrespect to the book, in my humble opinion, so if you’ve seen the movie don’t let that stop you from reading the book :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I have it actually loaned from a friend, but I didnt find myself pulled to read it after the first several pages. Might give it another go

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 12, 2010

I live by lists!!

For this week I need to:

*Get last minute bridesmaid stuff together
*Get and stay on top of house cleaning
*Make a training plan for my 1/2 marathon (11 weeks!!)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Nice what half are you running?

Samantha @Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 13, 2010

Scotiabank Waterfront and maybe Goodlife. 2 is ambitious for me but I also really like have races to train for :)

rachel July 12, 2010

lovely looking oats :)

Kat (Bubble Gum Gym Kat) July 12, 2010

I try and do goals every two weeks, I just did some on my blog for July. Let’s hope I hit them all. So far my goals are, only clean foods that is including one clean cheat meal, get 5 days cardio in 30 mins on top of my 6 day training split, keep reading my NASM personal training book so I can get my cert in August.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 12, 2010

Great goals! My goal for the week is to eat as cleanly as possible during the week. I’ve been splurging a LOT on weekends, which is totally fine, but if I’m going to OD on sugar and beer when I’m out with friends, I need to add extra fruits, veggies and whole grains to my diet.

Such a great idea to look for vases!! Your parfaits are always so gorgeous.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 12, 2010

I love goal setting, and to-do lists! When writing one, I will often include things I have already accomplished, just so I have a few “strikes” and feel accomplished right off the bat! :)

Lizzie July 12, 2010

Weird – I just wrote out my ‘to do’ list an hour ago! Have already tackled a couple of things (returned some emails, paid wireless bill, called contractor). I try and start one every week and then roll it over as it progresses (if things don’t get done then they go onto the next list – somewhat of a motivation to make sure it gets done first time around! My goals this week include coming up with a name for this website idea I have, cleaning apartment out in time for friends arrival, logging my long run for the week, making sure I do my PT exercises EVERY day, cleaning apartment . .. oh, I mentioned that already, right? :) I tend to write lists down on pen and paper as it feels more satisfying to cross them off!

Quick question – what does Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal taste like? We have the green stuff that I use in GM’s when I am out of spinach and it’s “OK”. Wanted to get some feedback before investing in some (they have it 40% off @ WF’s this week!).

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its GREAT, prob my fav flavour…altho the scoops are very big which is why I use only 1/2 in GM’s usually to conserve it. lol. Its is sweet and chocolatey! The least ‘wheatgrassy’ of them all I would say.

Lizzie July 13, 2010

Thanks Angela! That was a very helpful review :) You’re right about the scoops!

Camille July 12, 2010

I love having a list of goals for the week :) I am going to make one right now with your inspiration!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 12, 2010

I’m on vacation, and will be for another week, so my goals are to eat a bit healthier and try to exercise everyday– I always seem to come back from vacation a few pounds heavier, and I’d love to beat that this time!

Charlotte July 12, 2010

Thank you for that last goal! It’s one of mine as well – do you have any tips for staying off the computer? I think I’ll actually blister my index finger if I keep going the rate I’m going.

Books? I’m currently reading the Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett…deelish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Tips for staying off the computer

1) SHUT DOWN COMPUTER

When I started doing this at night time, I stayed off because one of my pet peeves is turning on my PC and waiting for it to load (im impatient!)

Johanna July 12, 2010

Haha, I really recognize the “i-must-grow-beacause-I-didn’t-plant-it”-feeling. I was on my way killing a beautiful orchid (a moving-in gift) and then my mother came and just… I don’t know, did some magic mommy-thing and now it’s alive again! Have no idea how she did, but I’m happy! :)

My goal for this week is to do some serious dancing practice. I have a summer camp coming up in two weeks and feel that I have lost some of my feeling… so I have to kick myself to start practice in front of the mirror again!

About book – I love all book Marian Keyes have written. They are so funny and makes me laugh and feel good. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I killed an orchid my MIL gave us =( I contemplated going to buy a new one and switching it, hahaha

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 12, 2010

my goal for the next week is to STAY CALM and to treat my body well. i am going to be uber busy and need to fuel well, work out well, and REST well! :)

Maya July 12, 2010

What an interesting flower! I ditto staying off the computer. I am way too dependent on technology. It’s easy to think I’ll just stay on for a few minutes and then enter a time warp! It’s important to enjoy these summer evenings.

Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 12, 2010

I love making lists, too! Perhaps I should set some goals for the week, too… There are so many things I always intend to do, but never seem to accomplish. Also, random, but I have that mug from Urban (and purchased it for my bff) and I LOVE IT! It’s so cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its my fav mug in the WORLD!!! It instantly relaxes me…is that weird?

Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 12, 2010

Not weird at all – it makes me feel really happy and excited to start my day when I drink my morning coffee from the mug! :)

Casi Leigh July 12, 2010

LOVE today’s oats picture. I had strawberry banana VOO yesterday and devoured it! <3 I'm thinking blueberry buckwheat pancakes today since it's my morning off! :)

Have you read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? The film was released just this last winter with Charlize Theron and Vigo Mortensen. It was brilliant though, I have to say, a person would get much more out of the movie if they had read the book first. And, in any case, the book is just brilliant. Emotionally demanding but really lovely. If you're in the way for something a bit more light and summery, I have always been hopelessly devoted to Judy Blume's Summer Sisters. She is probably more well-known for her children's books but this is anything but. I have read it every summer since I was 17. I really think it expresses many universal truths for experiences in women's lives, regardless of where they grow up.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

A light + summery book sounds like my cuppa tea right now! Thanks :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 12, 2010

Omg, that parfait looked delicious!! It looked so much like dessert I think I would feel bad eating it for breakfast :-D I love your tea cup, by the way! I think the painted on tea marker is absolutely adorable!

Teri [a foodie stays fit] July 12, 2010

I’m reading Water for Elephants right now and it’s a book that totally hooks you from the first page.

thank you! :)

Kate July 12, 2010

Oh my gosh, that was my response, too! :) That book is amazing!

kaila July 12, 2010

how do you get your softserve so smoooooth!?!?! i make mine in a food processor just like yours and use the same ingredients, but mine always comes out more like dippin’ dots (not sure if you have these in canada, but they are little ice cream pellets<-so good but just not the right consistency for SOFTSERVE LOL!). oh and for books try the pretty little liars series is you're looking of some light reading…..if your looking for some reading with a little deeper meaning try Reading Lolita in Tehran…the author came and spoke at my school and she is truly an inspiration, so is the book! it is about how as a women and one of the few woman teachers in tehran, iran she fought the take over and oppression of the taliban through literature (western literature was banned by the taliban) and brought together a group of young iranian women and taught them what opportunities were out there for them and to strive for more in their lives through the messages in the classic western books they had read. Hope you enjoy!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Dippin dots! that is funny. Dont think we have those here?!
I have to stop and scrape down the processor a lot and I also add a dash of almond milk to smooth it! Works like a charm

Laura July 12, 2010

I had the Dippin’ Dots problem, too, and found that letting the frozen banana sit out for a few minutes before processing and letting it run longer than I thought it needed to helped make it a better consistency.

Therese July 12, 2010

I am SUCH a list/goal making person! I make a to-do list every single morning for work!

My goals this week are to:
- Finish half of my school project that’s due at the end of next week.
- FInish 1/4 of my final paper that’s due in two weeks.
- 10 minute clean up every day so that I have some relaxation time on the weekend.
- Get in both of my strength training days (ugh).

Have a GREAT day and thanks again for the Glo bars! I brought one with me to work!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Enjoy your bars! We should get together for a run sometime.

Kelly July 12, 2010

I thought that looked like a vase! I love making goal lists. They make me feel way more productive and focused.

Some of my favorite reads are Wicked, Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure, and In the Time of the Butterflies (tear jerker). Happy reading!

katie July 12, 2010

if you are interested in more chick-lit-esque books, i finished firefly lane by kristin hannah a few weeks ago and LOVED IT. only the 2nd book ever to make me cry, and i’ve read a lot of books! up next, i’m planning to read the heretic’s daughter.

those sound like great goals – good luck!

Kristina July 12, 2010

I love weekly goals, and I’ve always been a list maker. I am reading a book called Getting Things Done right now, and Jason and I both use the BEHANCE journals – LOVE them!

for pleasure reading – True Colors by Kristin Hannah. I just finished it, and it was one of those that I missed as I was finishing… actually ANY of her books are great… I think I have read them all.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I tell everyone about this book, so great.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 12, 2010

My goal this week is to actually get up later! My hubby and I are so off-track in our schedules that I never see him, so now I’m nudging my day to start later and his earlier ;)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2010

Angela! Good luck with all your week goals. I just had to comment because I SOOOO agree with . . .

8) Create downtime + relaxation in the evenings- stay off computer!

I need to get offline more. Being away on vacations/etc. lately has shown me how important disconnected time can be! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I think I need to create a rule to be off the PC at 8pm! :) Shut down and restart in the morning… :)

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2010

That sounds like a perfect rule. I might try it, too!

kyla July 12, 2010

“American Wife” by Curtis Settenfield( I’m not sure about the spelling of her last name)

That book was amazing! I just started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle as well. Eat, Pray, Love was also an excellent read.

Anne July 12, 2010

If you love girly, easy to read books, let me know! I thoroughly enjoyed all of Emily Griffin’s books and recently read “Twenties Girl” by Sophie Kinsella! All good and very good “beach reads”.

Wei-Wei July 12, 2010

My goal for the week – start bringing my own lunches to camp! There’s nothing nearby but McDonald’s and KFC. :(

Wei-We

PS: I’m going downstairs to make OO right now. :)

Page 1 of 3123»