Goal Setting for the Week Ahead

Good morning!

Word on the street is that you can eat the Yucca flower…

IMG_2217

You know this just makes my weekend finding this out. I’m not quite sure why.

IMG_2215

So of course I had to try it!

IMG_2219

Don’t worry I didn’t put it in my Vegan overnight oats!

IMG_2224

I took a few inside and washed them and then tried a few petals…

IMG_2223

It was very light tasting with a slight astringent taste. I could see myself using the petals in a stir-fry!

This morning I wanted a delicious Vegan overnight oats parfait!

Last night I made the vegan overnight oats…

IMG_2193

In my classic vegan overnight oats:

• 1/2 cup oats
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds

Directions: Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl and place in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours.

Well, first things first, I always make my japanese sencha green tea!

IMG_2196

I made Strawberry Almond Soft Serve using 3 strawberries, 1 frozen banana, and 1/2 tbsp homemade raw almond butter.

IMG_2199

Boom.

IMG_2205

IMG_2208 IMG_2211

IMG_2209

No better way to begin a Monday!

IMG_2227

My Garlic Chives are out of control! It must be because I didn’t plant them (my mother in law did).  :tongue:

IMG_2228

Some of you have been asking about where I get my dishware. Most of my VOO dishes are from Crate and Barrel. You might be surprised to know that most of them are actually VASES and not actual glasses! I go straight to the vase section for some fun and unusual glasses.

IMG_2230

IMG_2231

Goal-setting for the week ahead:

This morning, I decided to set a few goals to help ignite my motivation in areas where it is lacking. There are a few things in my life that I need to make an extra effort to accomplish! I figure if I make a list, that is half the battle (I love list making!).

My goals for the week:

1) Get in a LAP SWIM this week (we have been totally neglecting our lap swims!)

2) Go Biking (ditto above)

3) Get caught up on business document tracking (Enter in all receipts, transactions, etc)

4) Complete and send in Retail Sales Tax return

5) Get caught up on online orders by Wednesday PM

6) Start READING for pleasure again! (Any good book suggestions??)

7) Banking

8) Create downtime + relaxation in the evenings- stay off computer!

9) Get caught up on emails!!!

You may also be interested to read my 10 in 2010 goals, my post on how to set goals and achieve them, and positive and negative goals.

What are your goals for the week? Do you make a list at the beginning of each week?

MAKE IT A GREAT WEEK!  :biggrin:

1 Alex July 12, 2010

I have no goals for the week…I am going to go make some right now!!

I just started “The Life and Death of Charlie St. Cloud.” It is amazing and has already made me cry! Haha I am such a sap.

2 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 12, 2010

I read that one last month! As soon as I saw the movie trailer, I checked it out of the library – MUST read books before movies come out!

3 Courtney @ Three Months July 12, 2010

Well, my blog centers around setting goals – so I’m definitely a fan! I do also make weekly lists – I look at to-do lists as goals. I have a phone interview tomorrow for a job in California (whee!!) and then I have to get organized and make meals for my husband, as I’ll be leaving for vacation to visit my parents on Friday. I’ll be gone for a week, so I want to make sure I plan enough meals for him not to starve! :)

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Goodluck with your interview!

5 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 12, 2010

I am SO jealous everytime I see your VOO! Even though I can make them myself – and they’re fabulous – yours always LOOK better. Not fair!
Hmm…my goals this week…good marathon training runs, more schooling with my horse, work, bake :)

6 Jessica @ How Sweet July 12, 2010

I love goal setting. It is the one thing that keeps me moving through the week, especially since I hate my job. I usually set a few small ones for the week, but longer term ones at the beginning of each month. I keep them written in my planner so I always see them.

7 Nicole @ Making Good Choices July 12, 2010

I make lists all of the time. I obviously had so much on my mind last night because I woke up at 4 and had to write everything down for the week because I couldn’t sleep. As soon as I wrote it down, I fell back asleep. I usually outline each day if I have a busy week. It helps so much!

8 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 12, 2010

Every morning I make a to-do list for the day, which helps me stay organized and complete the tasks I need to. For the weekends, when I do most of my chore-type stuff, I make another list. Writing the goals down helps me remember and gives me a sense of completion when I cross the tasks off.

9 Megan @ Sweet On.. July 12, 2010

Yummm!!! :D

I don’t always make a weekly list, but when I do I find it very helpful — I should make it a habit! My goals for this week are to move safely home to the US (tomorrow!) and do three running workouts.

The last book I read that I loved was “The Monsters of Templeton” by Lauren Groff. I really can’t recommend it enough – I could not put it down!

10 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Whats it about?

11 Megan @ Sweet On.. July 12, 2010

From the author’s site: “One dark summer dawn, at the very moment that an enormous monster dies in Lake Glimmerglass, twenty-eight-year-old Willie Upton returns pregnant and miserable to her hometown of Templeton, N.Y. Willie is a descendant of the creator of the town, Marmaduke Temple, and she expects to be able to hide in the place that has been home to her family for centuries. But the monster changes the fabric of the village, and Willie’s mother, Vivienne, has a surprise for the girl that will send Willie careening through her family’s history to dig up clues about her heritage.”

It’s told from lots of different points of view, including a group of men who run together every day at dawn :) It was really great! You can read the first chapter here:

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Wow thank you so much! :)

13 Kara @ MyWellnest July 12, 2010

I’m a big list maker and goal setter, I love it!

14 Rosey Rebecca July 12, 2010

Ok- I have so much to say about this post, I don’t even know where to begin! :-)

1. I think it’s awesome that you ate a flower. I got dried hibiscus flowers from Trader Joe’s once. They tasted like fruit roll-ups. I love flower-flavored anything.

2. Strawberry-almond soft serve sounds incredible. Enough said.

3. Your parfait looks like something I’d order at a restaurant. You’ve totally inspired me to try it.

4. Crate & Barrel is an amazing store. And I LOVE that you use vases as glasses.

5. Your pics are all beautiful, as always.

The end.

15 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

this comment just made my day, especially this, ‘ I think it’s awesome that you ate a flower’ LOL.

16 Jaya July 12, 2010

Angela, that looks like a hefty (but totally doable) goal list. I think that adding one thing into your schedule – in your case, the farmer’s market – can really cause you to require some major organization on the other six days! I make my to-do list every morning after I enjoy my tea. I have this little wipe board where I draw pictures and itemize my tasks.
Books? Get your hands on anything by Anthony Bourdain (I just finished “Nasty Bits” and loved it), or “Half the Sky” by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn. I just read both and loved them! For belly-achingly awesome, I suggest “The Year of LIving Biblically” by A.J Jacobs. It’s thoughtful, intelligent and hilarious.

17 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

thank you!

18 Raylene July 12, 2010

Oh oh book suggestions! I love giving book suggestions! I read an enormous amount, especially since working at Chapters over christmas 2 years ago. Here’s a short list of suggestions (because I can’t make up my mind on just one):

Margaret Atwood, The Year of the Flood
Philip Pullman, The Golden Compass
Jonathan Safran Foer, Eating Animals
Wally Lamb, I Know This Much is True

19 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

nice thank you!

20 Kari Schlobohm July 12, 2010

Yes, I Know This Much is True is an absolutely wonderful book. It is one of my favorite books. Have you read Eat, Pray, Love? This is another one of my favorite books.

21 Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 12, 2010

You know, I’m not really one for the overnight oats (I made them once and they were not my cup of tea– perhaps a textural issue?), but yours always look so pretty and yummy! My question: is that a short vase, or a REALLY long spoon?!

My goals:
1. Set more goals. It helps me stay focused and keeps me from getting overwhelmed. Keeps my Superwoman Syndrome in check :D
2. Try to blog every day. I just started blogging and I find it very satisfying and FUN!
3. Streeeeeeeeeeeetch after every workout! Note to self: flopping onto the ground does not count as stretching.
4. Plan menus. Hail sanity!

Have a great week, and thanks, as always, for brightening up my day with your cheerful posting!

22 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its a short vase and a REALLY long spoon. LOL. booyah!

23 Claire July 12, 2010

I too want to find a new book to read for pleasure. I need come up with some goals but it seems like a pretty busy work week ahead! I hope to get at least 3 runs in though! The strawberry almond soft serve looks delicious!

24 MarathonVal July 12, 2010

My favorite book of all time, and the only book that I can read over and over again, is The Time Traveler’s Wife. I read it every summer and love it to pieces!

PS, it is 1 million times better than the movie…. the movie was an abomination and a complete disrespect to the book, in my humble opinion, so if you’ve seen the movie don’t let that stop you from reading the book :)

25 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I have it actually loaned from a friend, but I didnt find myself pulled to read it after the first several pages. Might give it another go

26 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 12, 2010

I live by lists!!

For this week I need to:

*Get last minute bridesmaid stuff together
*Get and stay on top of house cleaning
*Make a training plan for my 1/2 marathon (11 weeks!!)

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Nice what half are you running?

28 Samantha @Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 13, 2010

Scotiabank Waterfront and maybe Goodlife. 2 is ambitious for me but I also really like have races to train for :)

29 rachel July 12, 2010

lovely looking oats :)

30 Kat (Bubble Gum Gym Kat) July 12, 2010

I try and do goals every two weeks, I just did some on my blog for July. Let’s hope I hit them all. So far my goals are, only clean foods that is including one clean cheat meal, get 5 days cardio in 30 mins on top of my 6 day training split, keep reading my NASM personal training book so I can get my cert in August.

31 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine July 12, 2010

Great goals! My goal for the week is to eat as cleanly as possible during the week. I’ve been splurging a LOT on weekends, which is totally fine, but if I’m going to OD on sugar and beer when I’m out with friends, I need to add extra fruits, veggies and whole grains to my diet.

Such a great idea to look for vases!! Your parfaits are always so gorgeous.

32 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 12, 2010

I love goal setting, and to-do lists! When writing one, I will often include things I have already accomplished, just so I have a few “strikes” and feel accomplished right off the bat! :)

33 Lizzie July 12, 2010

Weird – I just wrote out my ‘to do’ list an hour ago! Have already tackled a couple of things (returned some emails, paid wireless bill, called contractor). I try and start one every week and then roll it over as it progresses (if things don’t get done then they go onto the next list – somewhat of a motivation to make sure it gets done first time around! My goals this week include coming up with a name for this website idea I have, cleaning apartment out in time for friends arrival, logging my long run for the week, making sure I do my PT exercises EVERY day, cleaning apartment . .. oh, I mentioned that already, right? :) I tend to write lists down on pen and paper as it feels more satisfying to cross them off!

Quick question – what does Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal taste like? We have the green stuff that I use in GM’s when I am out of spinach and it’s “OK”. Wanted to get some feedback before investing in some (they have it 40% off @ WF’s this week!).

34 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its GREAT, prob my fav flavour…altho the scoops are very big which is why I use only 1/2 in GM’s usually to conserve it. lol. Its is sweet and chocolatey! The least ‘wheatgrassy’ of them all I would say.

35 Lizzie July 13, 2010

Thanks Angela! That was a very helpful review :) You’re right about the scoops!

36 Camille July 12, 2010

I love having a list of goals for the week :) I am going to make one right now with your inspiration!

37 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg July 12, 2010

I’m on vacation, and will be for another week, so my goals are to eat a bit healthier and try to exercise everyday– I always seem to come back from vacation a few pounds heavier, and I’d love to beat that this time!

38 Charlotte July 12, 2010

Thank you for that last goal! It’s one of mine as well – do you have any tips for staying off the computer? I think I’ll actually blister my index finger if I keep going the rate I’m going.

Books? I’m currently reading the Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett…deelish!

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Tips for staying off the computer

1) SHUT DOWN COMPUTER

When I started doing this at night time, I stayed off because one of my pet peeves is turning on my PC and waiting for it to load (im impatient!)

40 Johanna July 12, 2010

Haha, I really recognize the “i-must-grow-beacause-I-didn’t-plant-it”-feeling. I was on my way killing a beautiful orchid (a moving-in gift) and then my mother came and just… I don’t know, did some magic mommy-thing and now it’s alive again! Have no idea how she did, but I’m happy! :)

My goal for this week is to do some serious dancing practice. I have a summer camp coming up in two weeks and feel that I have lost some of my feeling… so I have to kick myself to start practice in front of the mirror again!

About book – I love all book Marian Keyes have written. They are so funny and makes me laugh and feel good. :)

41 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I killed an orchid my MIL gave us =( I contemplated going to buy a new one and switching it, hahaha

42 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 12, 2010

my goal for the next week is to STAY CALM and to treat my body well. i am going to be uber busy and need to fuel well, work out well, and REST well! :)

43 Maya July 12, 2010

What an interesting flower! I ditto staying off the computer. I am way too dependent on technology. It’s easy to think I’ll just stay on for a few minutes and then enter a time warp! It’s important to enjoy these summer evenings.

44 Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 12, 2010

I love making lists, too! Perhaps I should set some goals for the week, too… There are so many things I always intend to do, but never seem to accomplish. Also, random, but I have that mug from Urban (and purchased it for my bff) and I LOVE IT! It’s so cute!

45 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its my fav mug in the WORLD!!! It instantly relaxes me…is that weird?

46 Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 12, 2010

Not weird at all – it makes me feel really happy and excited to start my day when I drink my morning coffee from the mug! :)

47 Casi Leigh July 12, 2010

LOVE today’s oats picture. I had strawberry banana VOO yesterday and devoured it! <3 I'm thinking blueberry buckwheat pancakes today since it's my morning off! :)

Have you read Cormac McCarthy's The Road? The film was released just this last winter with Charlize Theron and Vigo Mortensen. It was brilliant though, I have to say, a person would get much more out of the movie if they had read the book first. And, in any case, the book is just brilliant. Emotionally demanding but really lovely. If you're in the way for something a bit more light and summery, I have always been hopelessly devoted to Judy Blume's Summer Sisters. She is probably more well-known for her children's books but this is anything but. I have read it every summer since I was 17. I really think it expresses many universal truths for experiences in women's lives, regardless of where they grow up.

48 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

A light + summery book sounds like my cuppa tea right now! Thanks :)

49 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 12, 2010

Omg, that parfait looked delicious!! It looked so much like dessert I think I would feel bad eating it for breakfast :-D I love your tea cup, by the way! I think the painted on tea marker is absolutely adorable!

50 Teri [a foodie stays fit] July 12, 2010

I’m reading Water for Elephants right now and it’s a book that totally hooks you from the first page.

51 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

thank you! :)

52 Kate July 12, 2010

Oh my gosh, that was my response, too! :) That book is amazing!

53 kaila July 12, 2010

how do you get your softserve so smoooooth!?!?! i make mine in a food processor just like yours and use the same ingredients, but mine always comes out more like dippin’ dots (not sure if you have these in canada, but they are little ice cream pellets<-so good but just not the right consistency for SOFTSERVE LOL!). oh and for books try the pretty little liars series is you're looking of some light reading…..if your looking for some reading with a little deeper meaning try Reading Lolita in Tehran…the author came and spoke at my school and she is truly an inspiration, so is the book! it is about how as a women and one of the few woman teachers in tehran, iran she fought the take over and oppression of the taliban through literature (western literature was banned by the taliban) and brought together a group of young iranian women and taught them what opportunities were out there for them and to strive for more in their lives through the messages in the classic western books they had read. Hope you enjoy!

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Dippin dots! that is funny. Dont think we have those here?!
I have to stop and scrape down the processor a lot and I also add a dash of almond milk to smooth it! Works like a charm

55 Laura July 12, 2010

I had the Dippin’ Dots problem, too, and found that letting the frozen banana sit out for a few minutes before processing and letting it run longer than I thought it needed to helped make it a better consistency.

56 Therese July 12, 2010

I am SUCH a list/goal making person! I make a to-do list every single morning for work!

My goals this week are to:
– Finish half of my school project that’s due at the end of next week.
– FInish 1/4 of my final paper that’s due in two weeks.
– 10 minute clean up every day so that I have some relaxation time on the weekend.
– Get in both of my strength training days (ugh).

Have a GREAT day and thanks again for the Glo bars! I brought one with me to work!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Enjoy your bars! We should get together for a run sometime.

58 Kelly July 12, 2010

I thought that looked like a vase! I love making goal lists. They make me feel way more productive and focused.

Some of my favorite reads are Wicked, Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure, and In the Time of the Butterflies (tear jerker). Happy reading!

59 katie July 12, 2010

if you are interested in more chick-lit-esque books, i finished firefly lane by kristin hannah a few weeks ago and LOVED IT. only the 2nd book ever to make me cry, and i’ve read a lot of books! up next, i’m planning to read the heretic’s daughter.

those sound like great goals – good luck!

60 Kristina July 12, 2010

I love weekly goals, and I’ve always been a list maker. I am reading a book called Getting Things Done right now, and Jason and I both use the BEHANCE journals – LOVE them!

for pleasure reading – True Colors by Kristin Hannah. I just finished it, and it was one of those that I missed as I was finishing… actually ANY of her books are great… I think I have read them all.

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I tell everyone about this book, so great.

61 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 12, 2010

My goal this week is to actually get up later! My hubby and I are so off-track in our schedules that I never see him, so now I’m nudging my day to start later and his earlier ;)

62 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2010

Angela! Good luck with all your week goals. I just had to comment because I SOOOO agree with . . .

8) Create downtime + relaxation in the evenings- stay off computer!

I need to get offline more. Being away on vacations/etc. lately has shown me how important disconnected time can be! :)

63 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I think I need to create a rule to be off the PC at 8pm! :) Shut down and restart in the morning… :)

64 Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 12, 2010

That sounds like a perfect rule. I might try it, too!

65 kyla July 12, 2010

“American Wife” by Curtis Settenfield( I’m not sure about the spelling of her last name)

That book was amazing! I just started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle as well. Eat, Pray, Love was also an excellent read.

66 Anne July 12, 2010

If you love girly, easy to read books, let me know! I thoroughly enjoyed all of Emily Griffin’s books and recently read “Twenties Girl” by Sophie Kinsella! All good and very good “beach reads”.

67 Wei-Wei July 12, 2010

My goal for the week – start bringing my own lunches to camp! There’s nothing nearby but McDonald’s and KFC. :(

Wei-We

PS: I’m going downstairs to make OO right now. :)

68 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 12, 2010

I love to-do lists/list of goals. I’ve been thinking about using todoist on todoist.com. Do you still happen to use that? I remember reading about it on here once :)
My book recommendation is definitely The Help. Its a heart-warming, yet hilarious story about African American female housekeepers in the deep South during the Civil Rights Movement. The story centers around a young white writer who tries to help them. I couldn’t put it down. I love a book that makes you cry one second and laugh out loud the next.

69 Beth @ DiningAndDishing July 12, 2010

For the first time EVER I’ve written a work out plan for the week. Usually I just wing it based on how I’m feeling but I have a big trip coming up with old college friends and I want to look and feel my best! So, sticking to my plan is my goal for the week :).

Happy Monday Angela!

70 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 12, 2010

YAY for goal setting! I set a few at the beginning of each week as well – this week’s toughy is sticking to my grocery budget because I have a very bad habit of making mid-week runs to Sobeys to get new ingredients… dangerous! I’m also trying to fit in some non-computer time at night but that’s another hard one.

I recently asked some of my readers for some chick lit suggestions and they gave me quite a few. If you’re interested in that sort of read, check out the post http://bit.ly/cUnJlu

71 Kelsey (Nourishing Noshes) July 12, 2010

I usually don’t make lists but lately I find myself doing so to make sure that I actually get stuff done! As far as books go- it may be an older one but the movie is coming out soon and I’m always a fan of reading the book before I see the movie so I’d have to recommend Eat Pray Love. So good!

72 Amber K July 12, 2010

I don’t make any goals for the week. In fact, most of my goals are long-term. Not too many that I make for the specific week I am in. But it sounds like a good idea!

73 lindsay July 12, 2010

I have to say I enjoy your photos so much. SO full of color! You should start a cookbook picture album and sell it. Seriously!

74 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Thanks! Would love to :)

75 Ed July 12, 2010

I’m trying to do a Week in (P)Review post every Monday (this week’s: http://hiptobeasquare.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/week-in-preview-7-12-10/). It helps me look back at last week, what went well and what didn’t and I get to focus on the upcoming week. I’m all about mini-goals…my big goals are too overwhelming without baby steps!

76 Lalla July 12, 2010

Hi, I have some questions: first, what is the Amazing grass chocolate? I mean, what are the benefits? :) I think here in Switzerland we don’t have it. :(
And second, why do you use frozen bananas?
Thanks
lalla

77 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 12, 2010

My goals this week are to eat clean and follow my new + exciting exercise routine. I’m usually more lax on the “clean eats” but I am going on vacay in like 4 weeks and wanna be in my best shape. :)

I woulda never thought of eating flowers! that’s so interesting :D

78 Carly July 12, 2010

The Glass Castle is an awesome book!

79 Stephanie July 12, 2010

This past week I attended the North American Vegetarian Society’s Vegetarian Summerfest (vegetarians too, but mostly vegans attended), and I was so disappointed not to see you there! Have you ever heard of it?

80 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

No I have not heard of it before! Where was it?

81 Stephanie July 12, 2010

It was in Pittsburgh PA (www.vegetariansummerfest.org) and there were people from all over the US and Canada there! I learned so much about nutrition and there was even a class on green smoothies :-)

82 Lele July 12, 2010

Your breakfasts are always SO BEAUTIFUL! That looks like something from some fancy shmancy brunch place or something!

I’m very goal oriented this week- I have to say I’m super stoked, because the first task I accomplished this week was something awesome that I’m proud of- I donated leftover bread from the bakery I work at to a food pantry I found AND made arrangements so they will now get ALL our surplus food. I feel so great for having done it!

83 Leila July 12, 2010

The History of Love and Still Alice are amazing and poignant books. Also, the Jade Peony is an great fiction novel about the Chinese in BC during WW2. It taught some great history as well through compelling fictional characters.

Good luck on choosing!

84 Gina (@ Looking Forward) July 12, 2010

The Stieg Larsson series…starting with The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo. The 3rd and final book just came out. I blew through the first two quickly and am now on the third:) Its kind of a mystery/investigation/thriller…keeps you on the edge of your seat type of series.

85 Marina July 12, 2010

I wish you could make me a breakfast sometime :D
Good luck with your goals, I know you’ll do great ;)

86 Karen July 12, 2010

I always have to write myself to-do lists, especially now that I’ve just graduated from university…otherwise there’s from stopping me just sitting around on my bum!
I also think it’s awesome that you ate a flower. I’d do it, but I’ve moved home for the summer and I’m not sure what Dad would think about it…maybe when he’s not looking? ;)
Book suggestions – I just finished ‘A Prayer for Owen Meany’ by John Irving… I love his books, and they’re really long so perfect for getting your teeth into over the summer! ‘The Ciderhouse Rules’ is also a great one, and I’m also a big fan of Margaret Atwood, especially ‘Alias Grace’ and ‘The Robber Bride’. Have you read ‘Chocolat’ by Joanne Harris? You kind of need a box of chocolates next to you while you read it :)
Good luck with your list!

87 Sandreya July 12, 2010

The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran is a very good, meaningful book. I hope you will like it.
I think we have different taste in books, so I won’t recommend anything else just yet…except for Johnathan Safran Foer’s books, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close and Everything is Illuminated.

88 Meredith July 12, 2010

Aww I love the picture of the parfait surrounded by flowers!

89 Krissy July 12, 2010

Hi!! I’m a long time reader and I’ve always wanted to ask where you got that awesome tea pot??

90 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Its a Bodum tea pot :) They have a website too!

91 Tina July 12, 2010

I love the goal for creating down time. I think that’s something a lot of us should put on our to-do lists so we can be sure to actually make it happen. It’s so easy to get caught up in the go go go.

92 Fidelma July 12, 2010

Goal setting – get through the week in work, find dog food enough to leave for two dogs despite it all being sold out in town, pack and not forget anyone’s presents and fly home to Europe (from Africa) for two week’s holidays!

And once I’m home I have been told I have to read The Help. It’s all anyone is talking about and I saw Maria recommended it above too, so I’d say give it a go if you are looking for a book!

93 Emma July 12, 2010

My goals for the week:
1 – Continue to job hunt
2 – Sign up for a gym
3 – Keep the eats clean (no more takeaways!!)

I’m currently reading Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder. It’s a book about all the different philosophical theories set within a fictional story. Pretty heavy going at points but I’d definitely reccommend it, it gives you such food for thought.

This is my first time commenting on a blog, but Angela I read your blog all the time and I love it. You are such an inspiration to me, and I think your story and the ways you’ve changed yourself is amazing. Thank you for being my inspiration!

94 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Thank you so much!! :)

95 Crystal July 12, 2010

I normally don’t make goals but I write things on the calendar that I want to do. So this week I want to make those maple baked beans that I saw on your site (again) and go to the bank! I also want to complete this year’s student loan application by Tuesday. Almost done!

I have been neglecting reviewing chemistry and biology for this upcoming September… since I will be going away for three weeks at the end of August, my time is limited!

Arthur and I made a chore list because our place was looking less than stellar. It worked out great and we both have one more chore left each. :)

96 Michal July 12, 2010

I LOVE making lists. That is such a cute+great tip about vases! I’ve been using glass jars, but if I ever want something a bit more “classy” I’ll check out the vase route.
The mention of homemade almond butter made me wonder – did you ever try making almond milk?

97 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

not yet!

98 jayme (cars&carbs) July 12, 2010

after reading some of the comments on this post, i think all food bloggers have a little bit of Crazy Dish Lady in them. my man and i were just buying dishware for our new place, and i convinced him to get a 16-piece of square, white dishes! i am so pumped to start using them.
i also just bought a mug-style mason jar, which i have every intention of putting oatmeal in.
(which reminds me.. strawberry almond soft serve?! holy yum!)

i am huuuge planner, list-maker and goal setter. your post actually inspired me to post my weekly goals instead of just keeping them to myself! haha.

99 Marie July 12, 2010

Hey Angela! Goals… I’m glad you touched on this. I’ve been having a lot of trouble with motivation and goal-setting lately, and am having trouble keeping up with my summer class work! After seeing your list I went and made a list for this week for myself :)

Another goal of mine is to keep blogging every day this week. I think I’m going to do once a day from now on. Again, motivation! One thing that IS looking good is my workout motivation– seeing results= motivation enough! Thanks for another great post :) (As always, your VOO are enviable! Love ’em!)

100 sassy molassy July 12, 2010

Thanks for linking back to your prior posts on goal setting. both long and short term. That was very intruiging to me. Currently, I’m in a place where my job doesn’t motivate me and it’s hard to make goal setting a priority. But if I think bigger picture, it will be very important!

101 zoe July 12, 2010

you can do it!

and as for a book…i am currently reading middlesex by jeffrey eugenides and every time i start reading it, i find it really difficult to stop! it’s SO good. he’s a beautiful writer. check out the virgin suicides as well — he wrote that one before middlesex :)

102 AGS July 12, 2010

My main goals this week are to make time for studying (I’m working to get my private pilot certificate), and spend time with my husband. My husband and I read 1-2 books together each year, and we are in the middle of one right now (but stopped in the middle about 2 months ago!). We agreed to set aside two evengings this week to read aloud together.

103 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

That is such a great idea…how romantic. I love it

104 Olivia @ Blissful Runner July 13, 2010

My husband and I have done this a couple of times too! Good books always make a big impression on me and sharing them so intimately like that with someone makes for some great memories.

P.S. I think I’ve just copied down every book recommendation on this comment feed, but I have another if you’re up for one more. I just finished Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. Not exactly a light summer read, but definitely one of the best books I’ve read in a loooong time. :)

105 Franziska (justalittlechocolate) July 12, 2010

your week looks as busy as mine! I like how you put on downtime in the evenings without email etc. This is one of my goals and really helps to create balance in one’s life plus unplugging and focusing on yourself, time with a loved one etc. is my biggest priority at night!

106 Jen July 12, 2010

My goal is to be healthier – this is nothing new and not uncommon. There is something about your blog and your personality that comes through it that is utterly inspiring. I can’t even pinpoint what it is, as there are many healthy lifestyle blogs out there. Just thought I would let you know that I found your blog on Friday, and by Saturday had made a Green monster and those oat/peanut butter/banana/maple syrup/muffin tin freezer things. Totally inspiring.

107 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Thank you so much for the nice compliment. Im so happy you enjoy the blog so much!

108 Melissa July 12, 2010

That yucca flower is amazing!! Very cool that you can eat it too.
Your VOO is out of this world!! Wow!! Definitely a great way to start a monday!
I need to start writing goals down because I don’t do it and then I forget about them! I know it would help me get a lot more done!! Thanks for the inspiration:)
Some great reads for fun….hmm..Twilight series? Also The Host by the same author is supposed to be fantastic.

109 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 12, 2010

Haha that’s a great idea to use vases! Regular glasses are never big enough for my smoothies and parfaits.

As for book recs, some that I’ve read recently and enjoyed are “Eat, Pray, Love” and “Julie & Julia”.

110 katie July 12, 2010

Sounds completely and utterly nerdy buuuuut the final Harry Potter movie is coming out and I had yet to open any of the books, so I decided I would read all the Harry Potter books and then re watch the movies before the 7th movie comes out in November. I cannot lie, I am hooked and the reading has been wonderful :)

On another note I just love your website and reading it empowers me every morning to live a cleaner healthier life!

katie

111 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Aww thank you for the nice comment! :)

Can you believe I have never seen a Harry Potter movie or read the books?

112 Jess @ MTL Veggie July 12, 2010

Your parfait looks amazing! Any tips for VOO? I’ve really had a hard time liking them but every blogger who writes about them make them look so delicious!
I am a huge list-maker and goal maker. I probably would be lost without them! My goals for this week are:
To try out Hot Yoga and go at least 4 times this week to really get a feel for it
Keep working on getting strength back into my ankle- I miss exercise like crazy!!

113 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

The banana soft serve makes the voo!

114 Kate July 12, 2010

I LOVE reading! I’d recommend “Water for Elephants” or “The Daily Coyote”. I could have sat and read both of those all night long! :)

My goal is to get up each morning and do Shiva Rea’s Yoga Shakti DVD before work. That way I can have my evenings to read or go for a walk. This morning doesn’t count though! ;)

115 Heidi July 12, 2010

Hey, I just wanted to tell you I made your Frosty Glo Cakes but I used toasted buckwheat instead of the crispy rice. It stayed a little bit crispy and they were really yummy :) Btw, I love your site and read all the time. I don’t make a list for what I want to do during the week but I do have a goal in mind. This week it’s to eat cleaner than last week, and to be active for an hour a day besides my regular workouts even if it just means playing outside with my kids :)

116 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Glad you enjoyed them and thank you for the suggestions!

117 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 12, 2010

A VASE!!!! I never would have thought of that!!! Great idea!!!!

118 cheeky July 12, 2010

EYE need to read more TOO!
trying.
can’t seem to get into
anything.

reading women, food & god right now.
tis good stuff.

but need a lighter read as well.
ahhh…the curious incident of the dog in the nighttime =
one of my MOST FAVES!

not totally light.
but great.
and told from the
viewpoint of an
autistic kid.

really good story.

119 Mo July 12, 2010

Book suggestions:

I remember when you asked us this before, but I do not recall what you selected. If you have not yet read Eat, Pray, Love, you really should before the movie comes out this summer. It really is as good as all of us who recommend it say it is! (that was a terrible sentence, I know!)

Also, I still love The Life of Pi.

I read your blog for pleasure — time is scarce these days so I will cram a week’s worth into a morning. Such fun inspiration!!!

120 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 12, 2010

I just love your VOO – you’re presentation and photography skills are amazing! It’s a good idea to set weekly goals. I’ve never done it before but perhaps I should??

121 Kellie July 12, 2010

I am reading The Help right now and I am liking it. I liked Time Traveler’s Wife, but you do have to get through the first couple chapters to get into it. Jodi Picoult’s books are good. I love my Sister’s Keeper (I haven’t seen the movie, but I heard it is nothing like it). I am trying to read more for fun too. It is so hard to make that a priority!

122 Rowie July 12, 2010

Hey! Your breakfast parfait looked amazing! I’m so glad that i’m not the only one obsessed with list making! They are so satisfying! Also, check out my blog. I have a page devoted to my book list, things i’ve read, things i loved, and things i’d like to read. Maybe it’ll give you some ideas! I love the goal setting idea, and might try it out myself. It seems to help when i’ll be held accountable for those goals by others. Have a great week, and good luck with your goal list!

123 Kim July 12, 2010

I’m a big list/goal person – I schedule my workouts daily and personal and business to-do’s everyday! It helps keep my focused. I do make longer term goals, but seem to do better on shorter term goals

I also just received my Glo Bars and they look so good! Can’t decide which one to try first!

Kim

124 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

Enjoy!

125 Rowie July 12, 2010

Sorry to post twice, but i just thought of one of my FAVORITE books that foodies might appreciate. The Art Of Eating by MFK Fisher. A fabulous read!!!

126 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 12, 2010

Great post! How cute that you use vases for dishware :-) My goals for the week are to not eat as much sugar as I did last week, and to list some books on eBay for sale. And go for a long run!!

127 Lauren M. July 12, 2010

Oh Goodness…”Eat, Pray, Love” makes me laugh out loud! Some of it’s sad, but some of it’s so funny! She’s got such a wonderful and sarcastic writing style. I’m only 1/3 of the way through it, but I MUST finish it before the movie (with Julia Roberts!) comes out. I LOVE this book and I think you would too.

128 Lisa @bakebikeblog July 12, 2010

Wow – I love the tip to look at vases rather than glasses! BRILLIANT!

129 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 12, 2010

Ohh – I’ve been in the market for various vases, etc – more for decorative purposes…but love the idea for food!

130 Heather July 12, 2010

those flowers are so pretty!

131 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 12, 2010

Hope your able to complete your tasks and find some time to relax.

132 Erin July 12, 2010

Nice goals! I keep a running to do list for my day-to-day stuff, and a list of larger goals with smaller steps to take. I just wrote a big list of big goals last week so that I can buckle down on some of them.

133 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble July 12, 2010

You’re VOO are always picture perfect and deliciously scrumptious!

134 Monique@She's Going The Distance July 12, 2010

Those flowers are beautiful! Almost as beautiful as your oats yummy :)

135 Erica @ ericaunmasked.blogspot.com July 12, 2010

I love your pics -they are always so beautiful. I swear – you could turn something ugly (not like anything you ever eat or do is ugly) into something gorgeous! My goals this week are to get through the week – and be sane:) I have deadlines, appts and cleaning – good luck to me.

136 Rachel July 12, 2010

Pretty VOO! Might I suggest Eat, Pray, Love? I’m only just getting into it, but I love the way it’s written — easy read, can totally relate, and basically revolves around food, prayer, love and yoga — life at it’s best. Not to mention Julia Roberts to star in it when it comes out in theatres next month!

137 Katie July 12, 2010

Lunch in Paris is an amazing book, I am almost done and cant put it down. Its the local foodies lover version of “Eat Pray, Love”

138 Brynne July 12, 2010

The flowers remind me of the flowers from squash plants – you can eat those too! Both would probably taste and look great in a sweet and savory summer salad.

I love goal setting – I usually set some everyday when I wake up, especially if I do yoga – they become my intention.

As for books, “The Help” is amazing for a serious read, and Sara Giffin writes great chick lit :)

139 Julie @SavvyEats July 12, 2010

My goals for the week:

1. Replant the spinach in our garden (last week’s heat wave killed what was already there :( )
2. Plant ‘cool season’ crops (kale, Swiss chard, etc)
3. Foam roll 2x/day so I don’t get any overuse injuries
4. Bike 80 miles total (40 down already!)
5. Finish our wedding thank you notes!

140 Liza July 12, 2010

On Sunday I finished ready “Heart of the Matter” by Emily Giffen. It kept me up for an extra hour each night before bed because I simply couldn’t put it down! It was sooo good.. I’m a little sad that I’m done with it… but now I can finally catch up on sleep! I recommend ALL of Emily Giffen’s books, especially “Something Borrowed” (soon to be a movie starring Kate Hudson! Woo hoo!) Last night i started a new book – “Born to Run!”

141 Liza July 12, 2010

Correction – author’s name is Emily Giffin (NOT Giffen)!

142 Krista July 12, 2010

My one and only goal this week is to NOT use my debit card AT ALL. I’ve been spending a little here, there and everywhere and it has got to stop! I’ve got a 20 in my wallet and that’s my allowance for the week.

143 court July 12, 2010

I recently decided that I’d like to make it a goal to run a 1/2 marathon. At the moment I can run 4 miles confidently. I need help planning out a ‘training schedule’ of sorts; how fast should I be incresing my milage? I havn’t done something like this before. Thanks!

144 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 12, 2010

I would try to look for plans online and then adapt them to fit your needs. Hal Hidgon’s website has good ones, although I find that I dont need to run as often as 5 days a week so I always cut mine down a bit (3-4 runnings days works best for me per week). Goodluck!

145 Jen July 12, 2010

I am late to this post, but I had to add two amazing books I’ve read in the last few years – 1) Veil of Roses by Laura Fitzgerald, 2) Sarah’s Key by Tatiana de Rosnay. You’ll probably shed a tear on both books but they’re amazing…check them out!

146 Meagan July 14, 2010

Wow, that’s A LOT of smoothie!