Pink Parade

Good morning!

I am just taking a quick break from my 20+ shipments that need to go out by noon today…better type FAST!

Last night, I set my alarm extra early because I knew I wanted to squeeze in another early morning workout before the heat got really intense. Yesterday’s run was supposed to be a long 8-miler, but since I ran 3 miles, I wanted to crank out 5 miles early this morning. I was on the road by 6:30am and it was already 22C/72F out there and the temperature was climbing! It climbed a degree from the time it took me to put on my sneakers, so I knew I had to get out there fast. I shoved a couple dates in my mouth and was on my way.

The run:

• Distance: 5 miles
  • Time: 42:27
  • Avg pace: 8:19 min/mile

My goal for this run was to run each mile quicker than the last. Not an easy goal by any means…

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:00
  • Mile 2: 8:18
  • Mile 3: 8:18
  • Mile 4: 8:08
  • Mile 5: 8:02
  • Mile 5-5.10: 0:38 secs (6:20 min/mile pace)

Except for repeating my pace in mile 2 and 3, I accomplished my goal!

I felt so amazing after this run…it was very tough and there were lots of hills. By the time I got home the temperature was already 26C and hot, hot, hot. So happy I got out there early.

I also discovered that I am hooked on early morning workouts again!

For years, I always worked out within 15-30 minutes of getting up, however with how busy the bakery has been, my mornings are super time-crunched and rushed. I think I am going to try to rearrange my schedule a few days a week so I can squeeze in these early morning workouts because they make all the difference in my energy levels. I just feel so good knowing I got in a great workout before even beginning my day. I think even working out 2-3 mornings a week would make a huge difference in how I feel.

All I wanted after my COLD shower was a juice!

IMG 15732 thumb   Pink Parade

Composed of 3 carrots, 1 beet, 1/2 lemon. It was all I had left so it had to do.

IMG 1566 thumb   Pink Parade

IMG 15722 thumb   Pink Parade

It hit the spot and gave me energy needed to make my breakfast…

IMG 1578 thumb   Pink Parade

Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was on the menu today.

I was out of bananas except for 1/3 of a tiny frozen banana, so I pitted a bunch of cherries last night and froze them. I made Cherry Soft Serve using 3/4 cup frozen, pitted cherries and 1/3 frozen banana in a food processor.

IMG 1585 thumb   Pink Parade

It certainly lacked the creaminess that the banana gives it.

For the vegan overnight oats, I tried something new last night and used cocoa powder in the mix. I used 1/2 cup oats, 1 cup almond milk, 1.5 tbsp cocoa powder, and 1 tbsp chia seeds.

Unfortunately it turned out super bitter!

I had to add maple syrup to sweeten it up. For some reason the oats + chia seeds didn’t absorb the milk either so it was super runny. All and all it was a VOO fail.

Once I added some maple syrup it tasted better but it was still runny.

IMG 1590 thumb   Pink Parade

I mixed a bit of soft serve with the VOO with each bite and it tasted much better.

IMG 1597 thumb   Pink Parade

So much PINK this morning!

IMG 1602 thumb   Pink Parade

See you tonight for a really fun recipe I am excited to tell you about. Have a lovely Tuesday!

Jessica @ How Sweet July 6, 2010

It may have not tasted as good but I think it is the prettiest one so far! That counts, right? :)

jenny (Green Food Diaries) July 6, 2010

i really need fancy tall glasses and matching saucers like you (and a beautiful garden to enjoy breakfast in).

Kristina July 6, 2010

the same thing happened to me the other day with voo – didn’t absorb… It was my first time using hemp milk, so I initially thought it was that… but I used it again the next day (because it’s SOOOOO good) and it worked fine… ?

love all the pink. :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 6, 2010

What a pretty breakfast! It’s nice and cheery this morning. I wish I could be a morning exerciser, too. I know I’d be more consistent, but man it’s almost impossible to get up for work, never mind a workout!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans July 6, 2010

Morning workouts are so key! If I don’t get out the door within 30 minutes of me waking up working out is like pulling teeth for me!

claire July 6, 2010

Yay for getting back to the morning workout groove! The VOO look delicious lady…I am sure it was great with the cherry banana soft serve!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 6, 2010

I went for a bike ride this morning and now I have way more energy than usual

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 6, 2010

Yeah, cocoa powder is not sweet at all. It needs a bit of honey or maple syrup with it

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 6, 2010

Please share with me how you motivate yourself to work out in the morning with full days ahead. I work 9-10 hour days and try to get to work by 7a, so the idea of getting up at 5ish is not very appealing. It would be wonderful to start the day with a good sweat session, but I’m so stuck to my current schedule. Any suggestions????

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I think a big part of it is just deciding the night before that you WILL be working out. Make it a firm plan. Book the time. Set your alarm accordingly :)

Ameena July 6, 2010

Morning workouts are definitely the way to go. I usually get up and am in the gym within 20-30 minutes and I feel SO great for the rest of the day!

Once you have kids I think it is difficult to sleep in anywhere past 6 so it’s easy for me to get up!

Amber K July 6, 2010

Cocoa powder is definitely bitter, I always have to add a bit of a sweetener when I use it. But it so tasty!

It was a very pretty VOO!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 6, 2010

I miss early morning workouts. I wanted to go on a run this morning but I didn’t have enough time to run then shower then get ready before work.

Melodie July 6, 2010

Hi Anglela!

I have been reading your blog for quite a while now and it is by far my favorite blog to follow! I do have a question though… I have tried making your beet juice a few times, and I cannot get the taste right… or at least what I think would be right?

Do you peel your beet and lemon? I fell like I must be something wrong because it always turns out so bitter?!

Help!

Thanks! Melodie

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Nope I dont peel at all…I would suggest adding a small apple if you find it bitter…or use less lemon :)

Melodie July 7, 2010

Great, I will be trying this today, thanks!

Therese July 6, 2010

I find that if I use cocoa powder that I have to add a sweetener as well. I made cocoa/peanut butter overnight oats once and it didn’t turn out the way I had wanted it to at all. Boo!

Great to hear that you’re getting back into morning exercise! I never was until about three months ago and now it’s the best ever! It’s cooler in the hot summer months (like today, I was finishing just as you were starting and MAN! I was dripping with sweat everywhere!) and it’s done and over with by the time you start work! Plus it leaves all kinds of time after work to just relax or do whatever!

Wei-Wei July 6, 2010

Mmm, it’s such a pretty colour! Sorry it didn’t turn out so well though… but I guess the creaminess of the VOO makes up for the soft serve? And DUDE. Your mile times are just… wow. I run a 9.15 (PR!!) mile in PE… and that’s ONE mile. D:<

Wei-Wei

grace July 6, 2010

looks yummy!

Lizzie July 6, 2010

Funny – I have also become a morning workout person again . . and have to give credit to my husband! His gym is across the street from his office, and he can shower at work so it means he doesn’t get home late and reckons he kicks ass (well energy-wise anyway) for most of the morning because of it. I’ve started getting up on the mornings he does and this morning I was at the pool for 5:45 for 1/2 an hour. Have to admit it feels good to be done for the day!

Awesome run by the way!

Have to ask – how do the beets taste in the juice? I don’t like them from bad experiences as a child (mum used to boil them and they stank). I would love to be able to enjoy them in a juice, as I know they’re really good for you.

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I am a former beet HATER….grew up with beets from a can at thanksgiving..lol. ick. Never liked them untl I started juicing with them. I would start small using 1/2 a beet and work your way to a full beet. You can always mix it with other great veggies like carrots too.

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen July 6, 2010

Your juice always makes me wish I owned a juicer!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 6, 2010

Ooof, 26 degrees?? I find 15 hard going, good on you!!
As for the pink oats…they have stolen my heart!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 6, 2010

pink parade indeed! your oats look gorgeous…absolutely beautiful!

Kim July 6, 2010

Well, sometimes pretty is enough… ??

Camille July 6, 2010

Sounds like a great workout! Can’t wait for your recipe :)

Mary July 6, 2010

Loving all the PINK! My fav color!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 6, 2010

I’ve been loving all my morning workouts this summer. I’m going to miss them when I start up classes again in September and have to workout in the afternoons!

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 6, 2010

Aww, the pictures are gorgeous!!

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 6, 2010

She certainly looks beautiful, but I guess this is proof that we should never underestimate the power of our friends, The Banana :)

I walked to the subway at 7:00 am and was sweltering 25 minutes later. I can’t imagine running in this heat! I am very impressed (moreso than usual ;) )

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I was outside at noon and I thanked the high heavens I was not working out! I cant imagine…

Courtney @ Three Months July 6, 2010

That juice is a beautiful pink color! Looks super refreshing!

Maria July 6, 2010

Early morning workouts are the best! One of my current goals is to add more of them. And it will also eliminate having to take two showers a day :)

Despite being a VOO Fail, that looks absolutely delicious!

elana July 6, 2010

this juice looks amazing!!! do you use a juicer? or is it more like a smoothie?

also, just wondering, do you use homemade almond milk for you VOO? or store bought?

thanks!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I use almond breeze and a breville juicer. :) Hope this helps!

sassy molassy July 6, 2010

Ooh, I do love the pink today with the cherry soft serve. I may just have to break down and buy a food processor!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad July 6, 2010

There is something so energizing about completing a workout before your day starts…the problem is getting up on time! I also like to sit and enjoy my breakfast with a little tv, so I always feel like I have to sacrifice morning relaxation when I choose a sweat session instead.

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 6, 2010

Well your bfast looked really cute! I really like working out in the mornings too, but being a waitress and working at night, it doesn’t happen that often. I’m glad your bakery is doing so well!

GirlonRaw July 6, 2010

Woweee, all girl colours today. Everything looks so delicious. Your photos are always so pretty.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 6, 2010

I don’t blame you for wanting to get out there early. It was already super warm when I left for work at 7:45 this morning so I can’t even imagine what it’d be like now (I am hiding indoors in the AC as long as I can!!)
Breakfast looked so pretty! I always love how delicious your parfaits look.

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker July 6, 2010

Awesome run, Angela!!! I don’t like to do speed work, but I do a similar kind of workout — I guess it’s a tempo run? I don’t know. Whatever it is, it’s hard to keep going faster each mile. So, congrats on a job well done <3

Paieg (Running Around Normal) July 6, 2010

it LOOKS like it tasted good! coulda fooled us:)
Great job with the run!

Amanda @ Amanda On Foot July 6, 2010

Good post.

Question though–Aren’t you REALLY hungry when you wake up? How do you manage to bust out an intense workout if so?

~Amanda

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

The night before an early morning planned run I eat more carbs before bed so im not too hungry when I wake up. I also had a couple medjool dates which are super high in carbs right before the run. If I am hungry I will have a glo bar usually.

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

The night before a planned run I usually eat more carbs before bed and Im not too hungry in the AM. I also had a couple medjool dates before the run which are high in carbs. If I am hungry I will eat a glo bar before a run (and wait 15-30 mins).

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 6, 2010

Your reakfasts are always so beautiful. I don’t know if I’d be able to eat them! Aww, who am I kidding? It’d be devoured in minutes it sounds so delicious!

Lindsay July 6, 2010

LOVE your glasses!!! Sounds like a great run too.

Michele July 6, 2010

Where do you buy your glassware? it is absolutely fabulous, especially the long ones

Your website is incredibly inspiring, and I have frequently used your recipes and they are wonderful, thank you!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Thank you!

The glasses are from Crate and Barrel. I think a couple are actually vases!

Page 1 of 212»