Running On Plants

Good morning!

I feel like I got cheated out of a weekend since it was spent working and cleaning, but I am keeping my eye on the prize- I have a very special visitor arriving in just over 12 hours and then Tuesday is a day off with lots of fun things planned. I can’t wait!

Yesterday, I baked a bunch of Raw and gluten-free Liberate Glo Bars

IMG_9389

Well, technically I only got through Part 1 on Sunday! These bars are very intensive and require 3 separate parts. I will do parts 2 and 3 today.

I also finished up some market signs…

IMG_1542

Afterward, Eric and I set out on one of our run + bike outings…him on bike, me on foot. Today’s run was a 5-miler- the same distance I will be racing in a week and a half with my friend Jess. I am really excited about racing a shorter distance. The shortest race I have ever done was a 10k. I’d like to sign up for a 5k soon too. I like speedy runs! I used to do a lot of short distance sprints for track and field when I was young and I always loved the rush.

Look what tee I found when I was cleaning out my closet on Friday! I had no clue where this tee went and couldn’t find it anywhere. Lo and behold it was forgotten in an overnight bag after a trip to the in laws.

IMG_1534 (2)

This is Matt’s No Meat Athlete tee that he sent me a while back.

IMG_1535

Remember the pink Target sports bra I bought in FL? Well, the pink dye RUNS on my clothes when I sweat! Luckily the dye comes out in the wash, but what a bummer!

Check out the pink spots around Mr Carrot Runner…

IMG_1537

The run was a good one, although we went in the afternoon and for some reason my runs in the afternoon are a struggle. I am much better in the morning when I have a fresh set of legs and not as much food sloshing around in my belly.

The run:

• Distance: 5 miles
  • Time: 46:08
  • Avg pace: 9:13 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate: 151 bpm
  • Max heart rate: 171 bpm (hill on mile 4)

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:11, ascent 158 ft
  • Mile 2: 8:59, ascent 75 ft
  • Mile 3: 9:21, ascent 105 ft
  • Mile 4: 9:43, ascent 194 ft
  • Mile 5: 8:53, ascent 61 ft

Mile 4 was KILLER! Luckily I had Eric there encouraging me. Although once he offered to bike me home (riding on his handlebars) and I was seriously considering it! :tongue:

When I returned, I was craving Polly’s Yoga for Runners to stretch out my tight legs.

IMG_1541

I VOWED that I will do this video after each run. I felt so good and my muscles aren’t nearly as sore or tight as they usually are. I LOVE the FROG POSE Polly does!!!! Best stretch ever for my groin muscles. Try it out, you will love it. Today is a rest day for me, but I am going to probably do this stretching video again because I love it so much.

After the video, I had lunch. I started with some Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder + H20 to re-hydrate.

One of these things doesn’t belong here… :whistle:

IMG_9395

Just keepin ya on your toes on a Monday morning!

IMG_9394

For lunch, I had some Ezekiel toast with a black bean + pasta sauce mixture.

IMG_9404

and a mixed green salad with warm pasta sauce and pesto…

IMG_9397

Eric really has me loving the hot on cold combos!

Dessert was a new raw cookie I am experimenting with for the market…

IMG_9429

x 2

IMG_9423

For breakfast this morning I made a Green Monster.

IMG_9308

IMG_9289

Chocolate Peanut Butter Green Monster:

• 3 kale leaves
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Amazing Meal Chocolate Powder
  • 1 tbsp carob powder
  • Ice

IMG_9305

I’m still loving the Glass D’harma glass straws for my GM’s and juices!

Just a tip- if you use these straws for green monsters and juice make sure you rinse them immediately after use with hot water. If you just throw it in the dishwasher and let it sit for hours, you will have a very hard time getting it clean. Come to think of it, rinsing dishes immediately is a great timer saver for any type of dish! It is what keeps me sane when cleaning up monstrous piles of dishes in the bakery each day.

IMG_9314

On the side, I also had something new + deelish! I have been seeing coconut butter and jam on a lot of blogs lately, so I thought it was the perfect time to try it myself. I think I first saw Gina use CB + jam on toast.

IMG_9435

I decided to make a homemade cherry jam to go with the coconut butter!

Homemade Cherry Jam:

• 5-6 pitted cherries
  • Sweetener (optional, to taste)

Directions: Take 5-6 pitted cherries and place in bowl. With a fork, mash up the cherries. Add sweetener to taste if preferred.

IMG_9440

Sweet, buttery bliss. What a great breakfast this was!

Updates:

• The interview I did for Fitness magazine (‘Confessions of a Cardioholic’, March 2010) is finally up on my Press page. Sorry it took me so long to scan it, I completely forgot about it. I was interviewed on my Superwoman Syndrome article and my story with over-exercising. I have a couple short blurbs in the article. Check it out here.

I’m off to work! See you later today for my Sprint Triathlon PLAN and more yummy food. Enjoy your day!

1 Bree June 14, 2010

Nice! Just bought coconut butter last night and was wondering what to do with it… :-)

2 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 14, 2010

Man, Target stuff can be really crappy sometimes eh?

3 Jessica @ How Sweet June 14, 2010

Are those some sort of peanut butter cookies?! If so, I’m in love!

4 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 14, 2010

Yay for running through your pain! I need to start stretching more. I’ve been feeling really tight too!! I love your whole making your own jam thing. It is so easy! I used to do that with strawberries and pb. It tasted so much better than jelly!

5 Valerie @ City|Life|Eats June 14, 2010

Love the combo of coconut butter and jam!

Question for you: I am purchasing a dehydrator this week and am debating how many teflex sheets to purchase. Do you use teflex sheets or parchment paper for your Glo bars? On the picture it looks like parchment, but maybe you use parchment AND teflex? Curious, because I am debating just how many teflex sheets to get for a 9-tray excalibur. THank you!!

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 14, 2010

I’m the same way with morning runs – working out later in the day definitely feels harder, and I find I get thirsty so much faster than when I run/cycle in the AM. The cherry jam sounds delish!

7 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 14, 2010

Oh that toast looks great. I hadn’t thought about coconut butter and jam, but I have a huge jar of coconut butter so I’ll have to try this.

8 Laura June 14, 2010

Those raw peanut butter cookies look wonderful! I’d love to know the recipe, if you feel like sharing!

Always a pleasure seeing what you’re concocting for us!!

9 Ameena June 14, 2010

I have never had any trouble with Target stuff and I buy most of my workout clothes from there…

Love the black bean + pasta sauce mixture…looks delicious!

10 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 14, 2010

I’ve had the same problem with some of my sports bras too, but it always washes out which is always a relief!

I might have to look into this Yoga for Runners video, my hips are always getting tight from runnning.

11 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 14, 2010

that raw cookie looks doughy and fabulous…YUM! if you need a taste tester in the US, just lemme know ;)

12 Melanie June 14, 2010

Oh that coconut butter looks soo good :) I wonder if I can find it in Alberta..

13 Becci@gonefrutti June 14, 2010

I love the t-shirt, def gonna get myself one! Maybe I should get it in Italian since I live here…Although they understand the importance of fresh natural organic food they seem a little perturbed by veganism.. I LOVE YOUR WORK xoxo

14 Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 14, 2010

I love coconut butter and jam on toast. It’s one of my favorite snacks.

15 Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 14, 2010

whatevers in those raw cookies…they look to die for!! hope they were a success :)

16 Stefanie June 14, 2010

You always have wonderful looking meals. Those cookies look good too. :-)

17 Danielle (Runs on Green) June 14, 2010

I have that shirt too! Whenever I wear it while I’m running, I try not to walk too much (don’t want people thinking no-meat athletes are weak ;) )

And the raw pb cookies look *heavenly*

18 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

haha your comment made me laugh! That is funny about not walking with the tee on. ;)

19 Therese June 14, 2010

YAY! You got coconut butter!!! YUM! I just ran out… :(

And OMG Frog Pose!!! I love that pose with all my heart!!!! I don’t do it nearly as much as I should though, that would probably be a good pose to add into my stretches!!!

20 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

isn’t it incredible!!? I can’t believe I had never done it before!

21 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 14, 2010

Stretching is my favorite part of working out. I feel so much better when my muscles aren’t super tight. Plus, it’s good injury prevention.

22 Amber K June 14, 2010

That is a cute shirt!!! The raw cookie looks sooo good.

I have to admit I am horrible, horrible, horribe, about taking the time to truly stretch after working out. I’m going to have to try that video!

23 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

I am also really bad for not stretching. What I love about Polly’s video is that it is just 10 mins.

24 Wei-Wei June 14, 2010

Wouldn’t that be a carob peanut butter GM? Or does carob taste just like chocolate…? The raw cookies actually just look like unbaked cookie dough. What’s the texture like?

Have a great Monday! Cheers to a great week ahead :)

Wei-Wei

25 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

It could be called either I guess! I called it chocolate because I used the Chocolate amazing grass powder. :)

26 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

Oops forgot to answer your other Q- the texture is just like cookie dough…amazing!

27 Carly @ The Road To Health June 14, 2010

Mmm I love me a good chocolate PB GM! :)

28 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 14, 2010

Your signs look so good! I can’t wait to see how you do at the farmers market.

29 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 14, 2010

I always forget how gooood yoga feels until right after a session. Even short ones do so much!

30 Lindsey @ Foodie on the Rocks June 14, 2010

Very excited for raw PB cookies. And thanks for the suggestion on a new post run yoga sesh! I’m getting a bit bored of the one I’ve been doing.

31 Camille June 14, 2010

Those cookies look awesome! I wish I was near a store that sold your products :(

32 sarah shep June 14, 2010

i have the same problem with that sports bra! i can only wear it with a black tank overtop or when i go running tank-less. i wore it to bikram by accident last week and my towel was covered in pink by the end of the class!

33 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

lol oh man that sucks! I can’t believe they would produce a product like that and not test it!

34 Sara June 14, 2010

The same thing happened to me!! I thought the neon pink was super cute.. until it bled onto all my white tees :(

35 Meg June 14, 2010

Those cookies look delightful, as does everything you make :) You should top the cookies with some kind of pretty jam, too :D Just a thought!

Enjoy your day!!
Meg

36 Victoria June 14, 2010

I adore your blog! It makes me hungry for veg.. something I never thought was possible!

I did a little blog post about you today (& Green Monsters!).. hope you don’t mind. x

37 katie June 14, 2010

totally buying some COCONUT butter- youve inspired me!!! LOVE that lunch.. opened face sandwiches are much more fun to eat

38 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 14, 2010

That yoga for runners video sounds great! My muscles have been so sore and tight lately, so this sounds perfect!

39 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition June 14, 2010

I’m sooo NOT a runner! Good for you for pushing through. Love seeing what you are doing with your company- such an inspiration : )

xo

Jocelyn

40 Cami @ Health & Happiness June 14, 2010

I just read your post on the superwoman syndrome, which I couldn’t have read at a more perfect time. I am just now recovering from my injury as a result overdoing it. I had been doing P90X (for the second time after a little break), and one day while a warm up, my knee started to stiffen up then swell. The doc said I could have just overworked myself especially with the 30-45 minute plyometric workout. After crutches for 4 days and a limp for a two weeks, the doc says I am now able to run for 5 minutes every other day (woohoo!!).

Your article was a good reminder, especially as I get back into training, that I need to listen to my body instead of trying to be superwoman.
Thanks so much! :-)

41 AngelaOSG June 14, 2010

Glad it helped you! I wish you a speedy and safe recovery!

42 Laura @ youngDCliving June 14, 2010

Haha, love the green monster amongst the candles. So many great things in this post! Those raw cookies look really interesting–almost like sugar cookies.

I just made homemade larabars the other day! I love discovering new creations in the kitchen :) It’s especially exciting when you realize you can make so many of your favorite store items right at home and they often taste similar, if not better!

43 kalli@fitandfortysomething June 14, 2010

love the shirt!

44 Christine (The Raw Project) June 14, 2010

I love that shirt! I need one for my races! :-) And I totally need to do yoga for runners, I’m in serious need of more stretching!

I’ve been thinking about getting a D’harma glass straw, but I’m always in such a hurry in the morning that I’d probably forget to wash it. :-P

45 Helen June 14, 2010

I love doing shorter runs too, I’m going a 5k on Sunday. Your time for your 5 miles was great, no wonder the hill nearly killed you! I need to find a good stretch out for after my runs as I get really stiff the next day. I will so check Polly out.

46 PhysiqueSpeak June 14, 2010

ah! I love that shirt! I have a teal sports bra that does the same thing, even after washing it a million times. It’s too pretty not to wear, though, lol

47 Gypsy June 14, 2010

My failed attempt at cherry jam yesterday: 6 hours in the slow cooker – just a watery over-sugared hot cherry mess!
Wish you would have posted this simple version yesterday!! Good to know all you need is some ripe fruit and a fork to mash it up :)
However, I did have a chocolate cherry bomb VOO this morning — AMAZING!!

48 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies June 14, 2010

Those raw cookies look delicious!

49 Julie Boyer June 14, 2010

Hi Angela,
I see you’re going to do sprint triathlon, yeah! I would like to offer to meet up at Guillver’s Lake to give you and Eric some tips on open water swimming. You can email me if you like and we can find a time between all of your market and training! Swimming has always been my strongest event, and I thought of you guys when I swam this weekend in Orlando in a huge 100 m long pool – great practice for open water.
Julie

50 Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 14, 2010

What a wonderful day of eats!!
And your baskets for the market look fantastic!!!!

51 Kellie June 14, 2010

Mid-morning workout are my favorite. It gives me time to let my breakfast settle, but I still feel fresh. 9:00 for me is perfect.

52 Claire June 14, 2010

Wow, can’t wait to hear more about those cookies lady..and your sprint tri plan! The eats all look delicious…

53 Naomi(onefitfoodie) June 14, 2010

cherry jam!! love the simpliclity of this and love anything cherries esp in the summer time!!

nice job on that run…so nice of eric to help with enrouagement on that 4th mile!
cant wait to hear about the cookie!!

54 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 14, 2010

Sounds like you have had a very productive day and weekend.

55 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 14, 2010

Love that shirt so much had to pull up the website! Ooo, that CB looks yum and the cherries with it even more so!!!

Too cool on the articles!!!

56 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 14, 2010

I love the pictures today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That raw cookie looks SO darn good!!

57 AGS June 15, 2010

You will enjoy the shorter distances. There’s a reason they are usually called “fun runs” — because you can have a good time, perhaps raise some cash for a good cause, without feeling completely spent at the end. Enjoy!!

58 Brynne June 15, 2010

Angela what’s some music you’ve been running to lately? Anything new??

59 Victoria June 16, 2010

I need to check out Polly’s videos! I might give this a whirl after my jog tonight.

I started jogging a couple of months ago in preparation for my 1st race this Saturday which is a 5k. A lot of people I can tell are thinking what’s the big deal?! But to me it’s such a HUGE distance and I really struggle to do it. But I keep going. It gets easier each time :)

x