Women & Breakfast

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on June 11, 2010

Happy Friday!

Wheeeeeeee. Man, the weeks are flying by…I just hope the summer doesn’t fly by too. :ermm: I hate when that happens, don’t you?

I whipped up a delicious batch of Vegan Overnight Oats last night before hitting the hay…

Before going into the fridge last night…

IMG_9103

I chopped a large banana and let it marinate overnight in the mix. Mmmm.

IMG_9107 (2)

In this batch went:

• 1/2 cup organic oats
  • 1.25 cups Almond Milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Very tiny pinch of sea salt
  • 1/4 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Protein Powder
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1 large banana, chopped or mashed

Directions: Mix dry ingredients together and then add the wet ingredients (milk, vanilla) and WHISK! Add chopped banana and stir. Place into fridge overnight.

IMG_9097

It is very liquidy when you place it into the fridge, but when it comes out in the morning it is thick, thick, thick. Give it a good stir and then add your toppings!

The key topping this morning was maple peanut butter. I mixed 1 tbsp of peanut butter with 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup.

IMG_9114 (2)

I also sprinkled some coconut on top.

IMG_9121

IMG_9123 (2)

Before & After comparison…from PM to AM…

IMG_9103 IMG_9116

You can see that the volume from the PM to AM actually appeared to decrease as the oats and chia seeds expand and soak up the almond milk. This makes it very thick!

IMG_9098IMG_9124 (2)

Do Vegan Overnight Oats have to sit in the fridge all night long before they are ready (aka 8 hours)?

I have had a few readers email me and let me know that the Vegan overnight oats can be ready in as little as 30-60 minutes in the fridge! Good news if you are desperate for them in the AM or want to make them for an afternoon snack. They won’t be as thick, but they will be close enough.

Women & Breakfast

I recently came across an article in a UK newspaper called The Independent. Dr. Nerina Ramlakhan was being interviewed on her book called Tired But Wired. One of the things that Dr. Ramlakhan claims is that it is crucial to eat first thing in the morning if you want a better sleep at night.

The evolutionary-based theory is that ‘eating breakfast first thing in the morning calms and reassures the part of your brain that still thinks you’re a cave person, living day to day on slow-running game and avoiding predators.’ Dr. Ramlakhan calls this crucial period in the morning a ‘metabolic window’. This window is a timeframe in which you can give your body an important message telling it “there is an adequate supply of food, it can relax, and that it can fall into sleep mode when it needs to."

When I suffered from an eating disorder, I used to either skip breakfast or not eat for an hour or two after waking and when I did eat, it was often just 1 apple. When I was commuting into Toronto for work, I would workout, get ready for work, and then eat my breakfast running out the door (I do not recommend this!). My energy levels were always very low and I was unhappy and irritable, not surprisingly. However, when I decided to recover, one of the things I did was learn to enjoy breakfast again, just like I did as a kid. I think most of us start off as children who have a huge love for breakfast. I have lots of good memories of breakfast as a child…I would often help my parents make pancakes or eggs and toast on the weekends, or I would eat a huge bowl of my favourite cereal during the week. As a child, breakfast was a positive way to start each day.

When I started to eat breakfast again, I realized that fueling up first thing in the morning gave me so much more energy and started my day off on the right foot. Now that I have gotten into the habit of eating when I wake up, I find that I wake-up very hungry in the morning and my body seems to be in a better schedule. For so long, I consumed most of my calories after 3pm, but I feel like now I eat a large portion of my calories in the morning and at lunch and less in the evening hours. I feel better this way, even though at first I was absolutely terrified of eating a large breakfast.

As for improving my sleep, I am not sure on that one, but it sort of makes sense to me that if you don’t deprive your body, you will be a more balanced person overall.

What does breakfast look like for you- do you fuel up or skip out? How soon do you eat breakfast after waking up? Have you ever changed the way you approached your breakfast, such as by eating more or different foods?

See you for 1,000 words this afternoon- I need your help with this one! Have a great day :biggrin:

Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers June 11, 2010 at 8:47 am

FUEL UP!!! breakfast is my favorite meal of the entire day so i’d be pretty bummed to miss out! i often eat breakfast for dinner too! :) your green monster genius creation is often my breakfast of choice! :)

[email protected] June 11, 2010 at 8:49 am

I fuel up! I have a smoothie at home at around 7, then yogurt/oatmeal at the office at around 9:30. Plus some almonds and a piece of fruit. Have to be energized for the day!

Jessica @ How Sweet June 11, 2010 at 8:50 am

FUEL up!!! I eat a ton for breakfast – usually because it’s after my workout. I get up at 4:45 to workout, have something tiny, then pound some food after!

Del M June 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

I always eat breakfast, though I didn’t always, but am looking for new ideas. What kind of oats do you use in your overnight oats? Would it work with one-minute oats?

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:41 pm

I use Bob’s red mill organic regular oats :)

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini June 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

Oh I’m such a breakfast piggie. This morning I had VOO AND a Green Monster. :D

Kate Robinson June 11, 2010 at 8:53 am

ALWAYS eat breakfast! Usually within the first two hours I’m awake, I’m very grouchy and not very energetic if I don’t!

Alexandra June 11, 2010 at 8:54 am

I always eat breakfast, its my favorite meal of the day, but the what I eat and how much has definitely changed over the past few years. When I was in my ED i would make my “breakfast” last for hours by nibbling on a fat free yoplait yogurt and a dry whole wheat english muffin or some egg whites. When I started recovery breakfast foods were always my safest and still are my favorite, but I definitely have changed the quantity and quality of what I eat. All of you wonderful bloggers have made me fall in love with oatmeal, overnight oats, and giant yogurt messes! Thanks so much for all the wonderful recipes and showing how to live a healthy, balanced life!

Christina June 11, 2010 at 8:57 am

I MUST eat breakfast. I eat a lot in the mornings and less in the evenings too. I wake up hungry and if I work out in the morning I always have a substantial snack beforehand (i.e. toast with peanut butter and 1/2 banana).

I would be a very mean person if I didn’t get my breakfast!

Alexandra June 11, 2010 at 8:58 am

I would never EVER ever even think of skipping breakfast. It’s my favorite meal of the day! Without it I would feel fatigued or lethargic during the day. I normally have breakfast right after waking up because I’m so excited for it, but lately I’ve been trying to be more mindful and really conscious of the meal itself. I vary what I eat but lately it’s been yogurt with fruit and nuts.

maxinthegym June 11, 2010 at 8:59 am

I love breakfast. But I’m usually tired and famished in the the morning so it can be such a hassle making breakfast! Hence I stick to yogurt messes and overnight oats. But I do dabble in the occasional pancake if I’m up to it.

Breakfast is definitely fuel for me. A good breakfast equals a good day for me :D

Joanna June 11, 2010 at 8:59 am

I think there are too many so-called experts out there trying to sell books or fuel their careers by coming up with so much advice: eat first thing, don’t eat carbs, don’t eat late, don’t mix protein and carbs, snack all day, stick to 3 meals …. How much of this is evidence based with some well-designed epidemiological studies behind them? Now I know nothing about the particular researcher cited in The Independent, nor the book, so can’t comment on whether or not we’re all still cave(wo)men craving our metabolic windows. But the inner cynic in me says, whoa – wait a minute! The basic equation is that the calories we take in need to be adequate to sustain all the thoughts, activities and basic body repair work that we do every day. There is evidence to show that people who eat breakfast tend to sustain a healthier weight than people who skip – but this is because they seem to over-compensate with too many calories later on. Some people are hungry in the mornings, some people feel queasy at the sight of food until about noon, some people like to exercise first and replenish later (those folks are usually good at using their glycemic stores) while others need to fuel up in advance of working out (those who might have more of a hypoglycemic tendency). We need to listen to our bodies and respond appropriately (something I feel Angela is very good at promoting). But if there’s a book that says cavemen liked breakfast this week, there will be one next week suggesting that cavemen felt better after an all-night feast because they knew the wolves wouldn’t be stealing their stash … Mostly, they were cold, scared, malnourished and died young, so I wouldn’t be rushing to aspire to their lifestyle!

Janelle June 11, 2010 at 9:38 am

Whoa! Very thought provoking. Listen to our bodies– so simple but so hard to do with all the outside ‘noise’ coming at us everyday. Good stuff!

sui June 11, 2010 at 11:15 am

Great comment and an even greater point! I’m really hungry when I first wake up but I start to feel sick for about an hour afterwards and have no appetite for food, so if I ate first thing I’d feel it wouldn’t be right to my body… Listen to your body indeed :)))

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 11, 2010 at 9:01 am

That is good new to learn they can ready in half an hour! Sometimes I want them for an evening snack but never think I can if I didn’t prepare it that morning. Cool! :D Looks yummy as always, too!

[email protected] June 11, 2010 at 9:03 am

I always always always eat breakfast! During the week I usually eat something when I get to work, so about 90 minutes after I wake up. I make sure my breakfast always has lots of protein in the form of eggs, or toast with peanut butter, and if I have time, I make a green monster!! I had a delicious one this morning.

On the weekends I usually prepare a nice breakfast for myself that consits of eggs, toast, and fruit.

Breakfast (and breakfast foods) are my favorite types of eating!

Cami @ Health & Happiness June 11, 2010 at 9:04 am

I love breakfast! I think I could eat breakfast every meal of the day. For a while I was on an oatmeal kick using plain oats mixed with maple syrup, nut butter, and various berries. Pretty simple and not too fancy. Lately, I have enjoying this delicious granola recipe from greensmoothiegirl.com and her book titled, 12 Steps to Whole Foods. This recipe is so good with almond milk and some fruit. I make a big batch on Sunday, and my husband and I enjoy it throughout the week. You can watch a video of her making the granola here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1HUUEuv-QE&feature=player_embedded
She makes a huge batch of it because she has 4 kids, but I cut it in half and it works well for 2 people for most of the week. I posted the recipe on my blog on June 3 if you are interested. The vegan overnight oats look soo good, that’s next on my list!

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thanks for the link I will have to check it out!

Katalina @ GreenLivingNewYork June 11, 2010 at 9:14 am

I had a eating disorder too! I began to eat brerakfast, I mean normal breakfast, one year ago!! my story is that first when I came to US 3 years ago, I have gained 20 pounds in well 2 months I think so, it was a total shock for me so I didn’t now how to get rid of my extra weight! I began to exercise and dance for 5 hours per day, after taht I had one hour massage and all this after a long day at university, I was barely eating something, a yogurt in the morning, cottage cheese at lunch, and maybe some fruits in the evening!!! this is when I became very sick, and I couldn’t get out of my bed for almost all day, I didn’t have any energy, I was having a hard time to keep my body awake, and yes, I would lie to my mom that I am eating :( this is when she called the doctor for me, because my blood pressure became very very low, so I was diying slow,slow, slow… and the thing is that before my trip to US I had a very healthy lifestyle, my family will always cook healthy meals, and I was active, very active, I was a model, so when I saw all that extra weight on me, it became a body image problem, I didn’t leave my house for one month so nobody will see me like that! After all, my family helped me with my ED I started to eat again balanced and healthy meals, and not to exercise so much, I have lost all the weight and moved 2 years ago to New York, I still am at the healthiest weight in my life, I always eat breakfast( but I really hate Overnight oats, sorry :( ) and I am always thinking about breakfast when I go to sleep, yeah I imagine what is waiting for me in the morning!!!! :) ehh, it is a longggggg comment!

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:43 pm

I’m glad to hear that you are in recovery!

April June 11, 2010 at 9:17 am

This is
y forst post. I have been reading your blog for about a month and enjoy it very much! I found it by googling homemade almond butter,lol. I used to be just like you and would skip breakfast, but always eat now. I am having a difficult time figuring out what to eat before I run in the A.M.(I am typically an afternoon runner,suggestions?) Oh, and how do I get a picture on here?

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:44 pm

What works for me before a run (30-60 mins before I leave) is banana with a bit of nut butter. It’s not too much but its enough for a run under 1 hour. Anything longer and I bring food.

Emily Lou June 11, 2010 at 9:17 am

First of all, I love that you said “when I decided to recover.” Recovery for something as deeply ingrained as an ED isn’t automatic and it takes a lot of effort, but you continually prove that it is worth accomplishing! (:
As for breakfast, not only is it the most important meal of the day, but I think it’s the best meal of the day!

SB June 11, 2010 at 9:23 am

My Poppa will be 80 in September and doesn’t eat perfectly, but always has a big breakfast. My grandmother started him on that because when they met he was a university student and would skip breakfast.

She always said:
Eat like a king for breakfast, a prince for lunch and a pauper for supper.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 11, 2010 at 9:23 am

I’ve always had to eat breakfast in the morning. About a half hour after I wake up, I start to get hungry. Even as a tween or teen, I’d eat breakfast before school. I think it sets me up for healthier eating during the day, but the real reason I eat it is because I’m hungry. I don’t get skipping it. You wouldn’t skip lunch or dinner, would you?

Carolyn @ lovinlosing June 11, 2010 at 9:28 am

I am always really hungry in the morning so I never skip breakfast! On weekdays I usually don’t eat breakfast until I get to the office. On weekends it’s right away.

Therese June 11, 2010 at 9:30 am

I used to skip breakfast all the time and then completely overdo it later on because I was starving.

Now, breakfast is my FAVOURITE meal of the day. I actually get excited for it! LOL I always make it pretty calorie dense and it eat it as soon as possible upon wakening (mostly out of excitment). I also can’t vouche for it allowing me to sleep better, I think the mere fact that I’m eating more nutritiously is allowing me to sleep better.

Mmm…breakfast…

Stefanie June 11, 2010 at 9:36 am

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I eat it within 15 minutes of waking up other wise I am not too fun to be around. Your overnight oats look so good but I have yet to try them.

Wei-Wei June 11, 2010 at 9:37 am

Back when I had my ED, I would skip breakfast entirely and often wouldn’t eat until 6pm at dinner. Now I can’t live without breakfast, and it’s my favourite meal of the day! I love having overnight oats in the fridge – it’s like a present waiting for me in the fridge.

Wei-Wei

Becki @ HikeBikeEat June 11, 2010 at 9:38 am

I always start with a Green Monster :) and then have 1 egg scrambled with spinach, asparagus, bell pepper and zucchini with hot sauce! Keeps me full for hours!

Rachel June 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

I need to try these overnight oats. They look so tasty. As summer is getting busier and busier, I think the convenience of a nice, cool breakfast waiting in the fridge will be a refreshing and tasty way to start the day :)

Meredith June 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

Like so many others I used to skip breakfast, or have half a cereal bar if I was starving… this was during a (not-so) lovely period of disordered eating in my life.

Now I’m much healthier physically and mentally and LOVE breakfasts. Typically I have a protein shake about an hour after I wake up and then have a larger breakfast of oatmeal and fruit another two hours later. I just started trying overnight oats this week and love them with some fresh fruit. It was just getting too hot/humid for my normal oatmeal prep!

Danielle June 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

The key to a good day for me is a good breakfast :). I absolutely love it! So much so, that if I could I would have breakfast for every other meal of the day (incorporating a salad in there someway and somehow). Pancakes, eggs, oatmeal, toast, cereal, French toast, fruit smoothies -> YUM. Also, I was raised eating breakfast so my body is completely trained to have a satisfying one every morning as soon as I wake up. I’m glad to found the love again.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

I have always woken up hungry–or gotten hungry about an hour after waking, so I have to have breakfast. I noticed that people in my 8am classes would be much more groggier than me because they either started their with a sugar-loaded, artificial smoothie or nothing. While I dug into my oats and fresh fruit.

Danielle June 11, 2010 at 9:41 am

I have ALWAYS loved eating breakfast. For as long as I can remember, 20 or so years, breakfast is has been the first thing I do in the morning, I wake up starving too! It is without a doubt my favourite meal. For a while it scared me to figure out I was eating about 500 calories in the morning, but I noticed that as I lowered the calories I ate in the morning, the hungrier I got later in the day.
I always make sure I have protein in the morning. My current favourite is 1 egg, 1/4 cup egg white, and 1/2 cup cottage cheese. It is perfect. Then I add some carbohydrates with either toast or oatmeal with peanut butter. I wash this down with a latte made at home with espresso and non-fat milk. This breakfast gets me through 4 hours no problem without feeling hungry or low on energy.

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 11, 2010 at 9:44 am

The key for me has been to plan out my breakfasts the night before (having a food blog helps inspire me to do this!). I actually get excited to wake up and eat what I’ve planned. Making time to even eat a good-sized breakfast is also important. Tough in those early morning hours, but totally worth it.

Question (said in Dwight Shrute voice): Is Amazing Grass protein powder available in Canada? I haven’t seen it in any of the health food stores I frequent and I kind of want to give it a try!

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm

lol your dwight comment made me laugh…I can SO HEAR HIM in my head! lol. You can buy AG at some health food stores (so I hear) and whole foods. Im not sure exactly what natural food stores though…I asked the company for a list once and didn’t get one.

Leslie June 11, 2010 at 9:45 am

Usually I start breakfast with a green monster. It almost feels healing. But I like to get the majority of my calories in at breakfast because
1) I need the energy to get through the day. If I eat them all at night, I’ll be using that energy to..sleep?
2) I think mornings are the most beautiful and peaceful time of day – and I love sitting and eating and just enjoying the moment.

Love your blog btw! I think this is my first comment on here.

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I love your comment about enjoying the moment in the morning. It struck a soft spot for me because lately my mornings are the most busy times of the day for me. I need to start enjoying them again.

Leslie June 11, 2010 at 9:45 am

Love your blog btw! I think this is my first comment on here.

MIdgetkeeper June 11, 2010 at 9:56 am

I was never a big breakfast eater, but I am now. I load up in the morning, usually a green monster, pancakes or oatmeal. It keeps me full for a long time and fuels me up for busy mornings.

Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 11, 2010 at 10:00 am

Lately I have been eating breakfast about 15-20 minutes after I wake up. It is working really well. When I waited a couple hours, I either wouldn’t be hungry or be ravenous.

Nicole @ Making Good Choices June 11, 2010 at 10:01 am

I definitely fuel up! I love having oats, a muffins or yogurt, or any combo of those!

Helen June 11, 2010 at 10:01 am

When I suffered with disordered eating I went right off breakfast as it was the easiest meal to skip. I would either have nothing or a kids sized banana or a slice of brown toast with a thin layer of PB on if I was feeling brave. Cereal and milk was a big no no. But now I am 100% in the opposite direction. Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day and i love taking my time over it, savouring every bite. I WILL make overnight oats soon!

Callie June 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

I always have fuel up with a big breakfast, usually oatmeal. I always workout for a while in the morning after eating, so I need energy.

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 11, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’m slightly OBSESSED with breakfast. Only slightly. It is far and away my favorite meal of the day, and I could eat breakfast foods for practically every meal. I’ve been obsessed with b-fast for years now, so I’m normally hungry when I wake up. I have to eat something immediately otherwise I become cranky and listless. Recently, I’ve been trying to add more healthy fat to my breakfast in order to keep me satiated for longer. It’s been working so far. Plus, I love getting a helping of nut butter in the AM. It gets my day off on the right food!

Megan @ The Daily Sweat June 11, 2010 at 10:06 am

I LOVE breakfast and I’m usually ravenous when I wake, so food is the first thing on my mind. I’ve found that even if I do eat breakfast, I’m not really full and have to eat again in 2 hours. I really take to heart “breaking the fast” that we’ve done in our sleep. Our bodies need something to kick-start the metabolism for the day. I only ever eat cold breakfasts though, I don’t like hot meals in the AM like pancakes, eggs, hot oatmeal, etc. For some reason the coldness of overnight oats or a cold bowl of cereal wakes me up!

Kristina June 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

I was JUST talking about the Metabolic Window the other day! :) interesting stuff…

I always eat breakfast, but like you, I didn’t always… In fact, I used to get up, run three miles, then drink black coffee and Eat A Doughnut!! Every Day!! Same doughnut. I cannot even IMAGINE that now… I love breakfast, especially when I find new combinations that give me huge lasting energy :)

the overnight oats with banana chunks looks great… I think I have to try that…

Amber K June 11, 2010 at 10:51 am

I eat within 30-60 minutes of waking. I have to, I’m hungry! I have always eaten in the mornings. I have always been hungry, I mean come on I’ve been “fasting” for 8+ hours! I seriously, seriously, can’t understand how someone can just not eat!

I did used to “skip breakfast” in a sense, in college. I used to wake up really late (between 10 and 11 am) and my first meal would be “lunch.” The first meal I’d eat was pizza, or a sandwich or something. But technically it was breakfast since it was my first meal of the day.

I do things differently now for sure though. I have started eating a more substantial breakfast in the mornings. I switched from eating only a VitaTop every morning for breakfast, to having a nice big bowl of oatmeal. To me, they are just as filling, but I think my body prefers the real food in the morning to fuel my workouts better.

Vanessa June 11, 2010 at 10:53 am

I have eaten breakfast every single day for at least the last 8 years. I’m sure I skipped in in high school once or twice, but I can’t imagine skipping it now. I eat it within the first hour I’m awake, and then I let it settle for awhile. I have actually made your overnight oats the past 3 nights, so that’s been a nice change of pace! Before that, I did a pice of whole grain toast w/peanut or almond butter and a sliced banana or apple. I also loved some kind of vegan or greek yogurt topped w/granola, nuts, fruit, etc.

Also, do you have any suggestions for chia seed substitutes? I cannot seem to find them at the moment, so I’ve been used flax seeds. Are there any other foods that would do the trick? Thanks!

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Ive heard flax seeds work…I can’t think of anything else that really thickens except corn starch (a main ingredients in vegan pudding!), but I dont think that would taste good…

Kailey June 11, 2010 at 11:22 am

I LOVE breakfast! Before I heard about the Green Monster (thanks again! :) ha) I would have oatmeal with blueberries & bananas with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. Or I would have an english muffin with peanut butter and cut up bananas. I tried the vegan overnight oats yesterday but mine turned out weird. I didn’t have chai seeds so maybe that was why? Sometimes I eat my oatmeal or english muffin meals for dinner because I love breakfast THAT much.

[email protected] June 11, 2010 at 11:25 am

I definitely fuel up! I love breakfast, and cannot skip it or I am moody and grouchy. I don’t like to eat first thing after I wake up, but it’s’ usually within an hour of waking.

Kat (My Fruity Life) June 11, 2010 at 11:29 am

I think I am in the minority here….I love to just savor green tea in the mornings and my appetite does not get going until around 10:30am. I have never liked eating first thing in the morning after waking up. I do drink a lot of water tho first thing. Your body really needs the hydration right away. Fruit/green smoothies are my breakfast of choice!

Dawn Linklater June 11, 2010 at 11:38 am

I always used to skip breakfast – I was never hungry in the morning. Once I made the decision to change my life for the better, I made a list of things I would start doing EVERY day. Breakfast was on the list! So now, I have oatmeal every morning. If it’s hot oatmeal, I mix in ground flax and sometimes chia seeds after it’s cooked.
Lately, I’ve been eating a lot of overnight oats. It makes it easier getting out of bed, knowing you have something healthy and yummy waiting for you in the fridge! Now, I can’t even imagine skipping breakfast.
I also used to hate bananas (after my son was born for some reason I just lost my taste for them) Now, I layer them into my overnight oats, and usually have half a banana before I run.

ally June 11, 2010 at 11:39 am

I very recently started eating breakfast when I first wake up. Since I’ve been commuting to work in Toronto (5 years now) I’ve always eaten at my desk. So, I’m up before 7, and not eating until after 9, sometimes later. I knew skipping breakfast was known to cause overeating later in the day, but I still thought this “counted” as breakfast, even though it was over 2 hours after I had been awake. And desk breakfasts suck! It would either be a muffin (low fat of course… haha) or a packet of instant oats… which never filled me. So now that I’m getting up a little earlier and actually taking the time to prepare REAL oatmeal, or pancakes, or whatever, breakfast is so much more enjoyable. It actually motivates me to get out of bed in the morning… no more snooze button for me!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 11, 2010 at 11:44 am

I can’t imagine NOT eating breakfast. Not only am I starving when I wake up, but breakfast is my favourite meal of the day!

But back in my teen years I didn’t have such a regular eating/sleeping schedule, so I wasn’t always hungry for breakfast.

Beth @ DiningAndDishing June 11, 2010 at 11:48 am

I used to wake up, eat nothing, do a super intense work out and then sit down to one cup of cereal with 1/2 cup of milk. Not surprisingly I would be starving all day! And often have to eat a lot at night to catch up on my intake. Now I eat 1/2 a Cliff bar, work out and then make a 450-500 cal breakfast each morning. I feel MUCH more balanced throughout the day!

Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 11, 2010 at 11:54 am

I always eat breakfast, and have always! I went from a cold cereal kid in high school to an oatmeal fenatic and now my kick is GM’s (thank you Angela!). I will always eat breakfast no matter what time of the day I wake up,I can’t start my day with out a breakfast food.
Work days I eat breakfast 15-30 minutes after waking up, showering and doing my hair, weekends, immidiately.

Emily June 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm

I’m basically evil if I don’t eat breakfast! I have a 3 mile cycle to work on week days so I try to have a fairly massive breakfast (with BSSVOO or cereal and a big banana/date/soyamilk/nuts smoothie) – even them I’m still starving by 11am!

Also, why do your oats go so thick? I use more oats than you and less milk but they still never seem to soak it up?! *sigh*

Miriam June 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

It’s because of the chia seeds! Chia “grow” in milk, giving a pudding like texture.

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Chia seeds are great for thickening…otherwise if you are using chia, I might guess maybe it is your type of oats or the brand. I tested a lot of brands of oats for my glo bars and bob’s red mill organic regular had the best consistency at least for my bars. I tried other brands and they were very ‘flakey’ and not the same.

Miriam June 11, 2010 at 12:06 pm

95% of the time I eat cold cereal in the morning and most of the time, it is the same brand (organic multigrains cereals from Costco). I can’t wait to EAT when I wake up. Per instance when I eat out for breakfast I always do eat a “pre-breakfast” at home first. When I was in high school I use to think that by skipping breaskfast I’ll loose weight… wow I do not even understand now how I could have believe that and how I was able to go all through the morning without FUEL in my body!! There is one thing though… when I exercice in the morning, I do eat a banana or a big glass of juice and eat right after like a mad woman! lol A do not agree or believe in the whole process of volontary fasting, even for religious reasons, it is just so wrong for the body.

Jessica @ Jessica Balances June 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I eat pretty much as soon as I get up – I’m usually pretty hungry! I used to avoid breakfast, thinking it would make me gain weight… Now I know that eating breakfast can actually help with weight control. Oh, and then there’s the whole eating when you’re hungry thing. Took me a while to get that one down!

Kittie June 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

When I was a kid, we never had breakfast during the week. Every so often we would get a box of lucky charms but it would be months before another simply because we were in a “hurry.” My dad would cook a big southern-style breakfast on Saturday and that would be the only morning time meal in the week. It has only been the last few months that I have eaten breakfast and I look forward to it every morning, I believe it helps me get out of bed. :)

Kellie June 11, 2010 at 12:13 pm

I always eat a big breakfast, but sometime I do wait an hour or so. By the time I get the kids ready and off to school, I am more than ready. By waiting I can really sit down and enjoy me food instead of eating it between packing backpacks and brushing hair.

Lisa June 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I always eat breakfast. I’ll be a ravenous mess if I don’t!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life June 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm

I can’t go without eating breakfast…it’s my fave meal of the day!!! :-D
I think my overnight oats are missing the banana…I need to add that back in! I don’t know why I didn’t do it before, since I ALWAYS add them to my hot oats!

A Teenage Gourmet June 11, 2010 at 12:52 pm

The banner at the top of your site is really nice. I used to visit, but I haven’t in a long time. I just posted a vegan recipe if you’re interested! :)

babs June 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

i thought of you today on my run :) it was inspiring to hear you talk about only being able to run for a min or two in the beginning yesterday. it really is about surprising yourself by just keep pushing yourself.

Erin June 11, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Mmmmm, breakfast. I eat breakfast every single day about an hour after I wake up, or I think I’d be a cranky mess. On weekdays it has to be fast so it’s usually oat bran, grits, cereal, a smoothie or an english muffin with pb, but I’ve been thinking lately that I’d like to incorporate more protein and veggies into breakfast so that past few mornings I’ve had an ezekiel wrap with fat-free refried beans, sauteed onions, peppers and mushrooms, and salsa, with honeydew melon on the side. I thought this combo would keep me full for longer, but it hasn’t – In fact, it’s probably less calories than I usually have, so that might explain it. I almost always have fruit with breakfast, or as a morning snack, so I can be sure I’m getting my fruit in each day. I loooove brunchy foods like pancakes, french toast, tofu scrambles and potatoes, but rarely find time to make them.

Tricia June 11, 2010 at 1:18 pm

Nice work letting the secret out about overnight oats! haha

I always have something small in the morning first thing before running, then come back have a green monster while stretching and getting ready for work…once I get to work it’s oats time! So “fuel up” is my motto too! But when I battled an eating disorder I was the same way, an apple or a fat free yogurt. I was miserable!

Kate June 11, 2010 at 1:36 pm

FUEL UP FO SHO!!! :) It gives me more energy during the day! I usually have two large pieces of toast (high protein bread) with nut butter and jelly and a blueberry-banana-almond milk smoothie on the car ride to work! Back during the ED days, I used to have a small bowl of cereal with no snacks before lunch. Talk about starving 20 minutes after breakfast and having to wait 4 hours until your next meal! No more!

Leah June 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Your breakfasts always look SO amazing!!
I never, ever skip breakfast anymore. I used to, and I was MEAN all the time! Now I have breakfast pretty much the second I get out of bed and it makes such a difference. I dont know how I ever made it to lunch without eating first. It seems like crazy talk now.

Laura June 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I must confess that I love my coffee. I start my morning with two cups.

Then, I make steel cut oats with two tablespoons of ground flax seed. I pour that over frozen blueberries or raspberries (I alternate fruit each day). After that cools (while I take my shower), I sprinkle turmeric and pumpkin seeds over it. I finish with 1/2 teaspoon of honey drizzled over the top. But, for the vegan readers, maple syrup would also be delicious.

I find that this staves my hunger for most of the morning.

[email protected] June 11, 2010 at 2:05 pm

Okay…I’m convinced! Must finally make overnight oats….Looks too yummy to ignore
Aloha!!

Kris June 11, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I’ve NEVER liked breakfast, although I do like breakfast foods at another time during the day. My mother had to beg me to eat breakfast as a child. My tendency is to not eat breakfast, but I force myself to eat within a couple of hours after getting up. If I eat first thing I feel nauseous. Since I’ve tried to be healthier for the last three years, I try to be conscious of not going too long before I eat, and making sure my breakfast is nutritious. It’s by far my least favorite meal (timewise) of the day.

Sarah June 11, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I really need to try those oats. They look so good, but I’m never sure if they are supposed to be served cold. (I’m assuming they’re served cold?) Something about cold oats just kind of throws me for a loop, but I’m going to give it a try for tomorrow morning.

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm

yup they are served cold!

Anne June 11, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I love breakfast, it’s always been the best meal of the day, ever since I was a kid. I find that I have to have my cup of coffee and water first, relax, and get hungry so I can truly enjoy a bowl of loaded oats, or on the weekends, a giant oatmeal pancake or some whole grain cereal with almond milk and ezekiel toast with nut butter.

Your overnight oats have just looked so tempting lately, that I may have to try them out when we get our next heatwave.

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh June 11, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’m a breakfast nut! I could never not eat it, my tummy demands it in the am. I usually eat more oats in the morning than anything, but I also am a lover of pancakes, waffles and eggs!

jenny (Green Food Diaries) June 11, 2010 at 5:04 pm

um… could you have possibly just enlightened me on why i can NEVER get a good night’s sleep when i go work out for two hours before breakfast in the morning? it’s happened to me three times and it really bothers me because no sleep = no healing.

sassy molassy June 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm

i couldn’t imagine not eating breakfast. I usually wait about an hour just because I take the dog for a walk/run right away, do a little yoga/stretching, take a shower and then eat. It kind of encourages me to just get things going and finished so i can have breakfast. some mornings i’ll have a handful of cereal and some water when i first get up.

I alternate between cold cereal, hot oatmeal w/ toppings, green monster smoothies and toast w/ an egg on the side.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope June 11, 2010 at 5:39 pm

I have always eaten breakfast within in like 15 minutes of waking. Even at 4am when i get up for work, i am generally hungry when i get up. Some people think this is weird, but i love breakfast. mmm. i cannot ever imagining leaving the house without eating. too bizarre. i usually have oatmeal, but lately it’s been whole wheat pb toast and a banana. i think it’s the summer gettting to me.

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 11, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and my biggest. I look forward to my mornings and enjoy and good healthy breakfast and a nice cup of tea.

[email protected] June 11, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I use to loathe breakfast, but I eat it now because I know how good it is for you! Scrambled eggs and watermelon keep me going strong.
I do have to say, I tried your overnight oats (which are so tasty and great for HOT HOT HOT days here in Texas) and I had to stop 3 times during my morning run for bathroom breaks. (sorry tmi)
Has anyone else had stomach issues with it?

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm

oh no thats awful to hear! =( Im sorry you experienced that.

E June 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm

those are garlic scapes

Kristin June 12, 2010 at 12:21 am

Angela, Have been reading your site for a few weeks now… it has been the kick I needed to simplify and detox as I approach the big 2-9 (on Tuesday!). Something has just clicked, I think you’re probably helping a lot of people learn how to make easy changes that lead to big ones :) Have been loving the overnight oats with banana soft serve for breakfast in the morning…especially in hot, humid Florida!!! I have chia seeds and chocolate Amazing Food powder arriving sometime this week from Amazon. I’m feeling better everyday. Thanks for sharing, for your honesty, for being real. :)
Kristin

AngelaOSG June 12, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Aww thanks for leaving me such a sweet comment…Im really glad to hear you enjoy reading. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!

Stina @ Girl Can June 12, 2010 at 12:40 am

That’s really interesting about the connection between breakfast and sleep. I’m wondering now if that’s why I’ve slept so poorly this week. Usually I make and eat a big breakfast right away (within 30 minute or so of waking), but this week I haven’t been eating until I get to work. I’ve also been eating smaller breakfasts. I’ve also been up later than usual (for no good reason) every night this week and I haven’t slept very soundly at all. I’ll have to see if I notice a difference when I get back into eating breakfast first thing again.

Jen June 12, 2010 at 9:46 am

My entire life I’ve always been a “wake up and eat breakfast” type of person. Every single day, even if I’m running late. I can’t function if I don’t eat breakfast, and will feel faint if I don’t eat within a few hours of waking up.
And none of this talk about a single granola bar or an apple. I usually eat at least 2 bowls of cereal, or pancakes, waffles, or eggs, grits or oatmeal etc, and usually a piece of fruit and coffee.
So yes, I eat breakfast every morning and yes I eat a lot of it. And yes, I’m also thin, haha. The way I see it, I can eat pretty much whatever I want in the morning because I have the whole rest of the day to burn it off! So sometimes breakfast consists of leftover cake ;o)
Whatever the case, that morning fuel is crucial.

Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 12, 2010 at 5:56 pm

BREAKFAST is the most important meal of the day for me or I’d be dead in the water the rest of the day.

Lauren June 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Fuel, fuel, fuel!!! I love breakfast! Always have! :)

I have an oatmeal pancake with nut butter or eggs and brown rice bread with nut butter! :)

smilinggreenmom June 13, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Wow this looks and sounds amazing and healthy! I love it :) Breakfast has always been my favorite meal. Our family really loves homemade pancakes using Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour and it makes me feel great to know how healthy it is. I also love a bowl of Kamut Flakes cereal and fresh fruit smoothies. This looks like it would be so delish! Can’t wait to give it a try!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I eat breakfast as soon as I wake up. I have either oatmeal, a smoothie, or eggs and toast.

Sana June 14, 2010 at 1:34 am

Fuel up!!! But I do not eat as soon I get outta bed. I have breakfast after 2 or 3 hours i wake up. i wonder if thats damaging or not..

Runeatrepeat June 15, 2010 at 9:38 am

I have always eaten something for breakfast, but when I was restricting I would just eat a slim fast bar or something and be starving all day :( I’m glad I realize the importance of a good breakfast now!

Heather ODonnell June 17, 2010 at 8:13 am

In my eating disorder recovery, breakfast was the last meal to return to my regular schedule. I was terrified of breakfast. I thought that it was nothing but worthless calories. But since I’ve started running, I realize that I need breakfast; especially if I’m going to run in the morning. If it is a day off, breakfast might come later in the day (brunch) but I’ll always eat something.

Ruth June 18, 2010 at 1:58 pm

You might have found yourself hungrier for breakfast because you stopped eating so much at night. I eat breakfast every day, but I’m not hungry for it unless I have a small dinner the night before.

Celeste October 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm

In your recipe book will you have calories/fat/etc? I think I read somewhere that you only go by how your clothes fit now but just curious…if not Sparkpeople has a pretty great calorie counter when you enter recipes that I could probably use.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2012 at 7:29 am

Hey Celeste, Yes I hope to include nutritional info in the book. While I don’t count calories, I do recognize that many people want the info.

Deirdre May 26, 2013 at 7:04 pm

I just made a cup of this and put it in my fridge for after my bath. Do you think it will be okay with quick cooking oats? My husband bought them and I agreed not to buy real oats until I used these up.

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 27, 2013 at 10:33 am

Hey there, I’m sorry I’m not sure – I haven’t tried it with quick cooking oats yet! Let me know how it goes if you give it a whirl.

Deirdre May 28, 2013 at 12:46 am

It was great. I ended up adding more oats and letting it sit longer because I didn’t realize not adding the chia seeds and protein powder would mean I’d have too much liquid. I also added coconut icy before I set it in the fridge. It was still delicious though.