Ice Cream Pan-wich

Helllooooooooo.

Last night, Eric and I tested out the Farmer’s Market canopy tent…there were no water leaks after several hours of rain, so I am hoping that this is a good sign. One of my readers Michelle also said she used the same canopy tent for a market last summer and it worked like a charm. Hopefully we have the same experience too.

I also picked up some baskets to put the Glo Bars in at the market. They are from Michaels. Have I mentioned that Michaels is one of my favourite stores in the world? I am like a kid in a candy store in Michaels! I used to be a huge ‘crafter’ when I was young and I always loved picking out crafting projects with OSGMOM.

Eric has learned to avoid going to Michaels with me for his sanity’s sake, however for some crazy reason he decided to come with me last night and I think he regretted it….

*dramatization…*

IMG_9022

I think these baskets will look cute on the table filled with Glo Bars! Either that, or all the farmer’s will laugh at my Michaels baskets. It could go either way.

I am hoping to have 9 flavours of Glo Bars at the market (time pending of course). There will be 2 flavours per basket and the Gluten-Free and Raw Liberate Glo Bars will get their own basket.

IMG_9023

I threw a bunch of flavours in just to see how many I could fit per row.

IMG_9025

I’m not sure how many Glo Bars I should bring to the market on opening day. Any suggestions?

IMG_9029

I am also thinking of selling cookies or muffins each week (time pending!). What flavours do you think I should sell?

I got this container for the cookies/muffins…It has a latched lid that will be great for keeping them fresh.

IMG_9031

and I am going to decorate the lid with this ribbon…

IMG_9032

Michaels has two aisles full of just ribbon! Poor Eric. I did let him make the pick on the ribbon though. He could not contain his excitement.

I also need to find some containers to put samples in…I want to have samples chopped up for each flavour! I think samples really draw people in.

Ok, let’s get to breakfast…

‘Ice Cream’ Pan-wich

IMG_9043

This is a fun and healthy twist on the ice cream sandwich, only it is made with vegan breakfast pancakes and banana soft serve!

Ingredients:

• 2 T regular oats
  • 1/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Tiny pinch sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder (optional)
  • 1/3-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or more if necessary)
  • 1-2 tbsp shredded dark chocolate (optional)
  • Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana, processed until smooth)
  • 2 tsp maple syrup

Directions: Preheat a skillet over medium heat and 1/2 tsp of oil. In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients (oats, flour, chia seeds, salt, baking powder, protein powder, chocolate). Add the milk and mix with a whisk. Add more milk as necessary if the chia seeds make the batter too thick (I had to do this once). Don’t worry it will turn out! After mixing, pour batter onto skillet to form 4 inch pancakes. Flip when the bubbles have popped and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Makes 2 large pancakes that will serve as your ‘pan-wich’! Place the pancakes onto a plate and set aside. Now make your Banana Soft Serve by processing 1 frozen banana. Add a bit of almond milk if necessary. Take the BSS and plop it onto one of the pancakes and then take the other pancake and place on top to make the pan-wich! Drizzle maple syrup over the pan-wich and serve.

IMG_9013

I made these last night and threw them in the fridge and had my pan-wich cold. I think I would have preferred the pancakes hot though because they were a bit firm for my liking.

IMG_9018

It was also easier to eat it open-faced with a bit of soft serve spread on each pancake!

IMG_9035

I drizzled some maple syrup on top after taking the photos and it tasted amazing.

IMG_9052

Coming up later today- my thoughts on the try-a-tri race and whether we have any desire to do another one!

Have a great Thursday!

Page 2 of 2«12
Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 11, 2010

Wow, those containers for your bars are really cool. I think you are going to be so successful. I guess depending on how long you will be there, you could approximate 2-3 bars per person and kind of guesstimate how many might be sold.

The panwich looks amazing, yummy!

Good luck with your sales! I’m patiently awaiting my order. Can’t wait to try the liberate bars….uh….can’t remember if I ordered some…doh!

Patti June 10, 2010

Hi Angela!
Which market is it and what are the hours there?

Amy June 10, 2010

YOU = Obsessed with banana soft serve!!!

AND BTW< I am a farmer and I think your baskets are stellar ;O))))

Ashley June 10, 2010

LMAO about Eric going to Michaels…sounds just like Chris ;)

Ashley June 10, 2010

Hiiiiiiiiiii. Lovely post!! I believe we’ll be making this icecream panwich while I’m visiting…although we should probably use COOKIES!!! :) In case you missed any tweets…in 4hrs, at the small market I worked at I sold 70-140bars and definitely had samples. I usually only had 4-5 of my varieties to pick from. I also had some sort of deal, if they bought 6 I think? Anyway…I’m sure it’s going to be amazing!

Cami @ Health & Happiness June 10, 2010

The Pan-Wich looks delish!! I just recently discovered your blog, and I love it!! I have already made 3 of your recipes (Quinoa, Spinach, and Shiitake Mushroom dish, Banana Soft Serve, and the Vegan Enchiladas) We didn’t have any pasta or enchilada sauce for the enchiladas, so we used picante sauce, and it was still tasty!

I just did a recent post on my blog (www.letsbehealthyandhappy.blogspot.com) raving about your amazing recipes and blog.

Good luck at the Farmer’s Market! I will definitely be ordering some bars soon!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 10, 2010

Love the baskets, and the ribbon! The farmers market looks like it’s going to be so much fun!!

And Oh my, what a delicious looking breakfast!!

xo
Kris

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 10, 2010

Good luck selling your bars at the market! I love how ambitious and crafty you are!

Elizabeth June 10, 2010

Hi Angela, quick question for you, which I bet you have answered before. How long do your glo-bars keep? and do they need refrigeration?

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

They keep for 3-4 weeks and no they do not need refrigeration. They can be frozen for 1-2 months too. :)

Heather June 10, 2010

I totally did this the other day!! Great minds think alike ;)

Aimee June 10, 2010

I really wish that I lived nearby the farmer’s market where you will be selling the Glo Bars. They are the best. Love the baskets! Your stand is going to look great. I have no doubt that it will be a huge success. So exciting!

Annalisa June 10, 2010

Hi Ang! Good luck with the farmers market! My advice would be to not overfill the table — keep some in your car. I think too much overwhelms our decision making and some people end up walking away. Make sure to give enough space between them so folks can see whats on the table. I have a bookstore and I find when I face a random book in the stacks, it sells quickly.

You could also consider a promotion for farmers market customers. Like, a percentage off their next purchase or tell a friend get something, etc.

You’ll do great – have fun – make new friends :-)

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

Great advice thank you so much!

Elle June 10, 2010

Your farmer’s market set up looks fantastic. I wish I lived nearby so I could stop by! I’d bring as many Globars as you can make/fit–why not? Worst case scenario is you have to cart a lot back home but the best case scenario is you sell them all and get the word out to more people. (And then they’ll reach me here in NYC sooner!)

On a semi-related note, I hope that you make a banana soft serve video soon. I’d love to see it in action!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) June 10, 2010

Oh I really like the idea of having samples, cookies or muffins out. Some customers might be drawn in by the samples or might start buying just muffins or cookies. I think you are going to do great!

I suggest bringing more GloBars than you think you’ll sell too. You never know what may happen!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 10, 2010

Michaels is a lot of fun!! They have something for absolutely everything. Those baskets are perfect for GloBars! As for at the market, I’d say bring more than you’re planning on selling. I don’t know how big the market is or anything so I can’t gauge an actual number..but it’s a lot better to have some left over than to run out. Oh, and that ice creamwich looks delish :) I cream and cookies are awesome and pancakes are just like two huge cookies! So yum!! :D

Run Sarah June 10, 2010

I used to LOVE Michaels but after going there way too many times during wedding planning, I told Allen, I never want to go there again! I actually haven’t been back in almost a year.

I think the baskets look great! I think samples are really important and will help draw people in. What about using mini muffin liners or toothpicks for each piece?

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 10, 2010

I love the baskets and ribbon combination!! So cute!

Sana June 10, 2010

Make sure you bring toothpicks or napkins! I am not sure if you want grubby hands all over your globars!!

Bree June 10, 2010

I love Micheal’s but I miss Ben Franklin. That was the craft store of my youth and I was obsessed with making seed bead necklaces and pretty much anything else my mom would let me buy!

The baskets are cute. I don’t dare try to get my husband into that store either :)

Kristy June 10, 2010

Ice Creme Pan-wich = TURN ON MAJOR! :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 10, 2010

It looks like you’re definitely going to have the prettiest set up at the Farmer’s Market!

When I first saw the picture of your breakfast, I thought the two pancakes were veggie burgers and I started to question your sanity haha! ;)

Sarah June 10, 2010

That panwich looks great!
And your stand? If I lived anywhere close to you, I’d be at that Farmers Market, trying and buying some of each bar! Everything looks great.

Brie (The Fit Bride) June 10, 2010

My husband and I have a deal–I’ll never make him go into Michael’s if he never makes me go into Home Depot! So far so good.