Ice Cream Pan-wich

Helllooooooooo.

Last night, Eric and I tested out the Farmer’s Market canopy tent…there were no water leaks after several hours of rain, so I am hoping that this is a good sign. One of my readers Michelle also said she used the same canopy tent for a market last summer and it worked like a charm. Hopefully we have the same experience too.

I also picked up some baskets to put the Glo Bars in at the market. They are from Michaels. Have I mentioned that Michaels is one of my favourite stores in the world? I am like a kid in a candy store in Michaels! I used to be a huge ‘crafter’ when I was young and I always loved picking out crafting projects with OSGMOM.

Eric has learned to avoid going to Michaels with me for his sanity’s sake, however for some crazy reason he decided to come with me last night and I think he regretted it….

*dramatization…*

IMG_9022

I think these baskets will look cute on the table filled with Glo Bars! Either that, or all the farmer’s will laugh at my Michaels baskets. It could go either way.

I am hoping to have 9 flavours of Glo Bars at the market (time pending of course). There will be 2 flavours per basket and the Gluten-Free and Raw Liberate Glo Bars will get their own basket.

IMG_9023

I threw a bunch of flavours in just to see how many I could fit per row.

IMG_9025

I’m not sure how many Glo Bars I should bring to the market on opening day. Any suggestions?

IMG_9029

I am also thinking of selling cookies or muffins each week (time pending!). What flavours do you think I should sell?

I got this container for the cookies/muffins…It has a latched lid that will be great for keeping them fresh.

IMG_9031

and I am going to decorate the lid with this ribbon…

IMG_9032

Michaels has two aisles full of just ribbon! Poor Eric. I did let him make the pick on the ribbon though. He could not contain his excitement.

I also need to find some containers to put samples in…I want to have samples chopped up for each flavour! I think samples really draw people in.

Ok, let’s get to breakfast…

‘Ice Cream’ Pan-wich

IMG_9043

This is a fun and healthy twist on the ice cream sandwich, only it is made with vegan breakfast pancakes and banana soft serve!

Ingredients:

• 2 T regular oats
  • 1/3 cup spelt flour
  • 1 tbsp chia seeds
  • Tiny pinch sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder (I use aluminum-free)
  • 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass Chocolate Amazing Meal Protein Powder (optional)
  • 1/3-1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or more if necessary)
  • 1-2 tbsp shredded dark chocolate (optional)
  • Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana, processed until smooth)
  • 2 tsp maple syrup

Directions: Preheat a skillet over medium heat and 1/2 tsp of oil. In a medium sized bowl, mix the dry ingredients (oats, flour, chia seeds, salt, baking powder, protein powder, chocolate). Add the milk and mix with a whisk. Add more milk as necessary if the chia seeds make the batter too thick (I had to do this once). Don’t worry it will turn out! After mixing, pour batter onto skillet to form 4 inch pancakes. Flip when the bubbles have popped and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Makes 2 large pancakes that will serve as your ‘pan-wich’! Place the pancakes onto a plate and set aside. Now make your Banana Soft Serve by processing 1 frozen banana. Add a bit of almond milk if necessary. Take the BSS and plop it onto one of the pancakes and then take the other pancake and place on top to make the pan-wich! Drizzle maple syrup over the pan-wich and serve.

IMG_9013

I made these last night and threw them in the fridge and had my pan-wich cold. I think I would have preferred the pancakes hot though because they were a bit firm for my liking.

IMG_9018

It was also easier to eat it open-faced with a bit of soft serve spread on each pancake!

IMG_9035

I drizzled some maple syrup on top after taking the photos and it tasted amazing.

IMG_9052

Coming up later today- my thoughts on the try-a-tri race and whether we have any desire to do another one!

Have a great Thursday!

1 Nichole June 10, 2010

I could just roam Michaels and end up with more projects than I can handle. Hobby Lobby is another good way to end up spending way more time than necessary in a store:)

Those baskets are uber cute, great find.

Pan-wich, yes please! Tasty as always. Never think of cooking part of an ice cream sandwich:)

2 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 10, 2010

Anthropologie is like that for me. My husband won’t go in there because he fears never coming out. That pancake ice cream sandwich is genius!

3 Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin June 10, 2010

I think those baskets are SUPER cute and will be a total hit. I am a Farmer’s Market junkie and completely agree with the sample thing – thats what draws me to any tent. Good luck!!

4 Kristin June 10, 2010

I’m excited to see pics of your setup at the Farmer’s Market. I’m sure you’re going to have great success!

5 Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! June 10, 2010

Samples are a great idea! I also love the idea of selling muffins and cookies. Man, I love farmer’s markets (and not just because of the abundance of samples, muffins and cookies!).

Great choice on the ribbon! <– Please communicate this to Eric ;)

6 Dorry June 10, 2010

Love that ice cream pan-wich recipe! And with that, my tummy is growling but I must wait until after Bikram to eat :)

7 Jocelyn June 10, 2010

Yummy! Your brekkie looks amazing :)

I think you should make those delish mini brownies that I ordered from you a longgggggg time ago. Also…maybe some cute vegan sugar cookies? oatmeal? pb? All good options :)

8 Lauren @ She's a Runner June 10, 2010

I loved going to Michael’s when I was little! It was so exciting for me, too! I did so many “art projects”…at one point, I got really into oil painting on a canvas, but visual art is just not my talent. I laugh when I look at my old creations…at least I had fun with it.

I am really looking forward to trying your gluten free Glo bar if I can ever get my hands on one. What do the other flavours have that contain gluten? Is it just the oats? Or are there wheat/spelt/other gluten containing grains?

I’m loving the ice cream sandwich idea!

9 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

The other bars have non-certified GF oats…so there is no guarantee. Otherwise I use GF rice crisp and in my endure and adore bars there is spelt flour.

10 Christa June 10, 2010

Hey Angela – I didn’t realise that you use non-certified GF oats for the other bars… what brand do you use, Only Oats? I eat those oats all the time and have no reaction. I would for sure order more bars if that’s what you use!

11 Christa June 10, 2010

not that I don’t LOVE the GF bars, because you know I do!! :)

12 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

I use Bob’s red mill organic oats :)

13 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

They are not GF btw!

14 Annie@stronghealthyfit June 10, 2010

I love Michael’s too! I used to do a lot of crafts as well, and I’d like to get back into that. I can’t wait to see your booth all set up! it’s going to be so cute.

15 Kara @ MyWellnest June 10, 2010

I too, love Michaels! A crafters candy store indeed! I like the baskets a lot and the Glo bars look great in them, no one is going to laugh at you! Having samples is a great idea too. Can you make muffins with local berries? Something like that would probably go over well at a Farmer’s Market.

16 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 10, 2010

The samples are a great idea. I know I often end up buying things that I might not if I didn’t try the sample. They are also great at convincing (us) moms that our kids will actually like it before we buy it for them :)

17 Jessica @ How Sweet June 10, 2010

Brilliant idea with the pancakes. I am so doing that tomorrow morning!

Or…maybe for dinner. :)

18 Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow June 10, 2010

You are going to have such an awesome experience at the Farmers Market! Boston has come alive again with all of our markets here…it is my most favorite time of year in the city. Unfortunately today is rainy and quite chilly so it will make visiting one of my fav markets a bit challenging. :) But so worth it!

19 Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete June 10, 2010

Yay for the gluten free!

I really like those baskets, and I would definitely buy from you! It all looks very professional.

20 Marina June 10, 2010

what an awesome idea for breakfast! I am soooo doing it tomorrow! I just have to remember to freeze up a banana! :)

21 Kristin (Salty Tooth) June 10, 2010

Yum, so making the ice cream pan-wich tomorrow!

22 Nienke at Revel June 10, 2010

Gah – Michaels is awesome, but also oh-so-dangerous for me! I think the bars will look super cute in those baskets – can’t wait to see it all set up!

23 Wei-Wei June 10, 2010

Mmm, it sounds like you’ve got a recipe for healthy ice-cream sandwiches there! I wonder what you could add to the bananas to make them hold together better. Then you could package them up and sell them as Glo-wiches! Okay, bad name, but not a bad idea, no? ;)

Wei-Wei

24 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

haha glo-wiches…so cute

25 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 10, 2010

blueberry muffins all the way!!! such a cute set-up…i love the basket idea!

26 Danielle (Runs on Green) June 10, 2010

That’s exciting- you’re *finally* able to sell GLO bars at the farmer’s market! If I were there, I’d buy at least 6

The ice cream pan which is so creative

27 Nancy June 10, 2010

This entry was so funny today! Definitely had me laughing at Eric being able to pick out the ribbon haha :)

I’m interested in hearing more about whether or not you’re going to be doing more tri’s. Maybe next time (if you do another one) I won’t be so shy to talk to you after you’re done!

28 Miranda @ Mirandasjeans June 10, 2010

Good luck with your first weekend at the farmers market! I wish I had some bars any kind of homemade health bars being sold at any of my local farmers markets. Sadly they are all pretty sparse still.

29 Christina June 10, 2010

Um. Yum. I love icecream sandwiches so the pan-wich idea is stellar!

Good luck at the farmers market, I think the baskets will make everything collected and organized! If you still have coloured “packing grass” you could add it to the bottom of the baskets and have it peak out the edges to add some pop. Are you going to do samples as well?

Have fun!! I love farmers markets!

30 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

Great idea about the green crinkle paper!

31 Kristina June 10, 2010

ERIC picked out that ribbon?? I thought he didn’t like polka dots… :)

I also have a long-time affair with Michaels. I cannot get out of there in under an hour. But I never go into the fake flower / plant area. It scares me and is dusty. Ugh.

I wish I could come see you at the farmers market, I’m sure it’s going to look awesome! :)

32 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

haha he doesn’t but he knows I have an obsession with them ;)

33 Melissa June 10, 2010

I was a huge scrapbooker back in the day (really want to get into it again!) and so Michaels was my addiction..especially with those great coupons:)
I will be selling my homemade salsa at the market either this summer or next so I can’t wait to see how your time goes there.
As for the pan-wich…awesome!

34 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

My mom is a HUGE scrapbooker too!

35 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 10, 2010

Icre Cream Panwich = Amazing Idea!!

36 Danielle June 10, 2010

Oh my gosh! I thought breakfast was my favorite meal of the day even before I saw this recipe… but now? I don’t think I’ll be able be sleeping that much anymore ;) since I’ll want to jump out of bed come sunrise for this spectacular plate!

Good luck with your first week at the farmer’s market! For flavor selection, I think you should to do a classic and then a unique one to appeal to everyone there. You are going to rock it! :)

37 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

That is a really good idea about the classic vs unique…love it

38 Amber K June 10, 2010

What a lucky farmer’s market!

The baskets are really cute. I’m not sure what kind of cookies or muffins would sell well, but I’m sure whatever you bake will be a hit!

39 katie June 10, 2010

GIRL these are AMAZING!! I need your creative mind!
you and your hubby are SO adorable btw

40 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 10, 2010

WOW that looks delicious!!!! And I’d say YES to the free samples, they are always good.

41 Bridget June 10, 2010

Ange, you never cease to amaze me with your wonderful recipes. You should write a cookbook! It would sell like hotcakes……or in your case globars :)

42 Rachel June 10, 2010

The baskets look great! I think you’ll do really well at the farmers market. I’ve been going to my local farmers market just about every Saturday for the last 3 or so years. Samples are always a good idea, they draw people in and get them talking and asking questions. My advice though is maybe not sampling every flavor you are bringing with you at one time. Stick with 2-3 at a time. People like to sample every flavor, which is great, but you’ll end up going through a lot of samples that way. We have a local granola company that sells at the farmers market in Baltimore, they always sample 2 flavors, usually different flavor each week. Maybe if you do each flavor for the opening week that might work, but I’d suggest probably 2-3 flavors featured as samples at a time. Muffins, cookies, quick breads presliced and wrapped up are also great. it’ll appeal to the hungry, haven’t had breakfast yet farmers market folks. There is a vegan foods stand at the market I go to that always has balls, like trailmix/granola bars in ball form, some have nuts/cereal/dried fruit/peanut butter or whatever to bind it together. They are so good. and so simple and they always sell out of them, they sit them in those cute paper liners, the ones that are shorter than cupcake liners. Hope some of these ideas help.. :)

43 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

That is such a great point about the samples!! I didn’t think of that, but that is such a great idea. I could alternate them each week.
I also love the idea of those balls…they sounds awesome. I should try to make some at some point.

44 Rachel June 10, 2010

It’ll also keep people walking back to your table every week! Wondering what flavor you are going to have to sample each week.
I’ll snap some pictures of the balls at the Waverly Market this Saturday. They’re great, cause you can grab and munch while you walk. I swear, they always sell out of them fairly early, and they are delicious! :)

45 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 10, 2010

Michael’s is LOOOOVE!

Samples definitely draw people in. They always make me feel more assured on my purchase.

46 Helen June 10, 2010

I so want to do a Farmer’s market. You have actually inspired me to look at ones in my area, work out once and for all how I can start my business and just do it. I love the baskets that you brought and the ribbon, so cute. I can’t believe Eric came with you as well, brave man. I really hope it goes well at the weekend.

47 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 10, 2010

I think you’re going to have the prettiest stand at the market!

48 mary June 10, 2010

I LOVE Michael’s!! I could spend the entire day in there and spend a boat load of money. I love your baskets, your tables will look super :)

Maybe you could do blueberry, banana, or strawberry muffins… you know blueberry is classic but then something fresh and summery :)

49 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 10, 2010

I LOVE Michael’s as well! I have a habit of going crazy on their scrapbooking stuff, because I’m a little nerdy like that. There was one time when I spent 2 hours in there, JUST in the scrapbooking section!
Your ice cream sandwich looks delicious, and the baskets for the Glo bars are so cute! I’m sure they’ll be very popular! :)

50 AngelaOSG June 10, 2010

Its crazy how much stuff they have for scrapbooking now!

51 Dana in KC June 10, 2010

I can’t wait to try the panwich! When I was younger and my mom wasn’t looking I would top my breakfast toast with PB, bananas and some ice cream. If you were going to do cookies include chocolate chip it always goes first.

52 Alina June 10, 2010

Your baskets are ADORABLE! Good luck with your first day at the market!

53 Jessica June 10, 2010

I know I’m more likely to buy new products if there are samples (or coupons when in a store)!

54 Brie (The Fit Bride) June 10, 2010

My husband and I have a deal–I’ll never make him go into Michael’s if he never makes me go into Home Depot! So far so good.

55 Sarah June 10, 2010

That panwich looks great!
And your stand? If I lived anywhere close to you, I’d be at that Farmers Market, trying and buying some of each bar! Everything looks great.

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 10, 2010

It looks like you’re definitely going to have the prettiest set up at the Farmer’s Market!

When I first saw the picture of your breakfast, I thought the two pancakes were veggie burgers and I started to question your sanity haha! ;)

57 Kristy June 10, 2010

Ice Creme Pan-wich = TURN ON MAJOR! :-)

58 Bree June 10, 2010

I love Micheal’s but I miss Ben Franklin. That was the craft store of my youth and I was obsessed with making seed bead necklaces and pretty much anything else my mom would let me buy!

The baskets are cute. I don’t dare try to get my husband into that store either :)

59 Sana June 10, 2010

Make sure you bring toothpicks or napkins! I am not sure if you want grubby hands all over your globars!!

60 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg June 10, 2010

I love the baskets and ribbon combination!! So cute!

61 Run Sarah June 10, 2010

I used to LOVE Michaels but after going there way too many times during wedding planning, I told Allen, I never want to go there again! I actually haven’t been back in almost a year.

I think the baskets look great! I think samples are really important and will help draw people in. What about using mini muffin liners or toothpicks for each piece?

62 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 10, 2010

Michaels is a lot of fun!! They have something for absolutely everything. Those baskets are perfect for GloBars! As for at the market, I’d say bring more than you’re planning on selling. I don’t know how big the market is or anything so I can’t gauge an actual number..but it’s a lot better to have some left over than to run out. Oh, and that ice creamwich looks delish :) I cream and cookies are awesome and pancakes are just like two huge cookies! So yum!! :D

63 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) June 10, 2010

Oh I really like the idea of having samples, cookies or muffins out. Some customers might be drawn in by the samples or might start buying just muffins or cookies. I think you are going to do great!

I suggest bringing more GloBars than you think you’ll sell too. You never know what may happen!

64 Elle June 10, 2010

Your farmer’s market set up looks fantastic. I wish I lived nearby so I could stop by! I’d bring as many Globars as you can make/fit–why not? Worst case scenario is you have to cart a lot back home but the best case scenario is you sell them all and get the word out to more people. (And then they’ll reach me here in NYC sooner!)

On a semi-related note, I hope that you make a banana soft serve video soon. I’d love to see it in action!

65 Annalisa June 10, 2010

Hi Ang! Good luck with the farmers market! My advice would be to not overfill the table — keep some in your car. I think too much overwhelms our decision making and some people end up walking away. Make sure to give enough space between them so folks can see whats on the table. I have a bookstore and I find when I face a random book in the stacks, it sells quickly.

You could also consider a promotion for farmers market customers. Like, a percentage off their next purchase or tell a friend get something, etc.

You’ll do great – have fun – make new friends :-)

66 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

Great advice thank you so much!

67 Aimee June 10, 2010

I really wish that I lived nearby the farmer’s market where you will be selling the Glo Bars. They are the best. Love the baskets! Your stand is going to look great. I have no doubt that it will be a huge success. So exciting!

68 Heather June 10, 2010

I totally did this the other day!! Great minds think alike ;)

69 Elizabeth June 10, 2010

Hi Angela, quick question for you, which I bet you have answered before. How long do your glo-bars keep? and do they need refrigeration?

70 Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2010

They keep for 3-4 weeks and no they do not need refrigeration. They can be frozen for 1-2 months too. :)

71 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 10, 2010

Good luck selling your bars at the market! I love how ambitious and crafty you are!

72 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 10, 2010

Love the baskets, and the ribbon! The farmers market looks like it’s going to be so much fun!!

And Oh my, what a delicious looking breakfast!!

xo
Kris

73 Cami @ Health & Happiness June 10, 2010

The Pan-Wich looks delish!! I just recently discovered your blog, and I love it!! I have already made 3 of your recipes (Quinoa, Spinach, and Shiitake Mushroom dish, Banana Soft Serve, and the Vegan Enchiladas) We didn’t have any pasta or enchilada sauce for the enchiladas, so we used picante sauce, and it was still tasty!

I just did a recent post on my blog (www.letsbehealthyandhappy.blogspot.com) raving about your amazing recipes and blog.

Good luck at the Farmer’s Market! I will definitely be ordering some bars soon!

74 Ashley June 10, 2010

Hiiiiiiiiiii. Lovely post!! I believe we’ll be making this icecream panwich while I’m visiting…although we should probably use COOKIES!!! :) In case you missed any tweets…in 4hrs, at the small market I worked at I sold 70-140bars and definitely had samples. I usually only had 4-5 of my varieties to pick from. I also had some sort of deal, if they bought 6 I think? Anyway…I’m sure it’s going to be amazing!

75 Ashley June 10, 2010

LMAO about Eric going to Michaels…sounds just like Chris ;)

76 Amy June 10, 2010

YOU = Obsessed with banana soft serve!!!

AND BTW< I am a farmer and I think your baskets are stellar ;O))))

77 Patti June 10, 2010

Hi Angela!
Which market is it and what are the hours there?

78 Triathlonbabe aka Grace June 11, 2010

Wow, those containers for your bars are really cool. I think you are going to be so successful. I guess depending on how long you will be there, you could approximate 2-3 bars per person and kind of guesstimate how many might be sold.

The panwich looks amazing, yummy!

Good luck with your sales! I’m patiently awaiting my order. Can’t wait to try the liberate bars….uh….can’t remember if I ordered some…doh!