3 Ingredient Homemade Chocolate Covered Raisins

Hello, there!

BIG THANKS to those of you who have already donated some items/services for Shop 4 A Cause 2! I am constantly blown away by your generosity. Amazing. I have a feeling this auction is going to be awesome! I am going to put together my big gift bag tonight. I’m sure I have some books, clothing, nicknacks, etc that can go to a good home! :biggrin: This is going to be fun! I had such a blast doing it last year and I know this year will be the same.

But for now, back to my chocolate cliffhanger.

IMG_7173

:ninja:

Last night, we were both craving CHOCOLATE like Willy Wonka and I dreamed up these easy chocolate-covered raisins for dessert. When the birthday belly speaks, I shall listen.

When I was little, I used to be obsessed with Glosette Raisins! You know, in the purple box?

33-raisins-au-chocolat-p

[Source]

So glossy. So chocolaty.

Raisins + chocolate is a magical mixture. A match so divine, I had to ask myself why I have never made any before.

IMG_7172

3 Ingredient Homemade Chocolate-Covered Raisins

Ingredients:

• 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (I use organic because it tastes so much better!)
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil (it really thins out the chocolate and makes it easy to coat)
  • Approx 1.5 cups raisins

Directions: Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a medium sized bowl and heat for approx. 1 minute on high in the microwave. Stir very well until all clumps are gone. Now take the raisins, 1/2 cup at a time and stir into the chocolate. Pour raisin mixture onto a large plate lined with parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Place in freezer to firm for about 5-10 minutes. Break apart the raisins with fingers and serve! Keep leftovers in the fridge.

IMG_7158

Boom.

IMG_7164

Husband confessional: This was the first time he has ever enjoyed chocolate and raisins together. He likes chocolate and he likes raisins, but until last night, he never liked them combined. Now he does and my job here is complete.

The taste was very similar to the purple box. Addicting. Dangerous. I had to slap my own hand to stop eating!

They also make your fingers all chocolaty just like the Glosettes. Hours later, you will look in the mirror and find chocolate smeared on your cheek, nose, and chin.

IMG_7185 (2)

Down girl!

IMG_7184 (2)

It’s that time again for some great health links from the past week…

Health News Round Up:

Around The Blog World:

Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some chocolate-covered birthday raisins calling my name.

1 Katie May 17, 2010

Chocolate covered raisins are my favorite “candy,” always have been! I haven’t had them in forever but I’m obviously craving them now!

2 Lizzie May 17, 2010

Angela, seriously . .. stop it!!!! First with the ‘best chocolate pudding you will ever taste’ and now this??? You are feeding a monster here!! :) These look so good! I made that pudding twice last week – and I do have the ingredients to make these raisins. Eeep!! And you’re right – organic dark chocolate (or really dark chocolate period) tastes so much better.

3 Leah May 17, 2010

Yum! I used to LOVE Glosettes.

The coconut oil would make these SO good.

4 Camille May 17, 2010

Why have I never though to make this!?
I am ashamed of myself both as a chocolate and as a raisin lover!

5 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter May 17, 2010

That is such a simple recipe! I love it. Thanks for sharing it.

6 Bethany @ More Fruit Please May 17, 2010

Yum!!! I will definitely be making those. I’m a sucker for the pre-made trail mix with salty peanuts, M&Ms, and raisins. I think adding these chocolate covered raisins to some plain peanuts might be a better (and healthier) alternative! Thanks!

7 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman May 17, 2010

I’ve never heard of Glosettes, but I did grow up loving Raisinets. My goodness you’re awesome!

8 Claire May 17, 2010

Thanks for posting my Banana Split VOO lady! I also made another version of Vegan overnight oats and the nut crusted parsnip/carrot fries last week….serious yummage! Raisinettes were always been a favorite of mine at the movies growing up so I would love to try making my own!

9 Wei-Wei May 17, 2010

I can totally imagine this chocolate melting all over my fingers, face and mouth. :D

10 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is May 17, 2010

Oh drool. I need those now.

11 Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) May 17, 2010

Mmmm! Those look SO freaking good!!!

Nick just went, “What are THOSE?” I think I need to make them ;)

xo
K

12 Lisa @ bakebikeblog May 17, 2010

What a wonderful idea!!!!!

13 Jenna May 17, 2010

Genius I tell you! I love chocolate covered raisins. I can’t believe the hubby hadn’t had them before. I bet he now realizes what he was missing!

14 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 17, 2010

i remember crying as a kid because i only liked the peanut glossets.. so when i got the raisin ones on halloween i would have a temper tantrum lol. hahaha.. long gone are those days.. i love me choc covered raisins <3

15 Jackie @ carolina_vogue May 17, 2010

Happy belated birthday!! and thank you so much for the link love :)

16 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies May 17, 2010

Ahh! These look amazing! How have I never thought to make them before?

17 Lauren @ Eater not a runner May 17, 2010

I love chocolate covered raisins! But the yogurt ones are my fav :-)

18 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) May 17, 2010

I love chocolate covered raisins!!! I am totally making these!!!

I can always trust your recipes!! I recently made Banana Soft Serve VOO, and nut butter parsnip fries and loved them both!!!

19 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ May 17, 2010

That’s so simple and those would be so great on top of oats or cereal, maybe even yogurt.

20 Heather May 17, 2010

well, you’ve done it again…off i go to the store to get ingredients to make those now! :)

21 kallie May 17, 2010

I would of never thought to create my own chocolate covered raisins! I don’t normally eat them, pre-made or otherwise, but that’s a great idea and super easy! ;)

-k
(http://kalliemarie.wordpress.com/)

22 Kristin (Salty Tooth) May 17, 2010

I am totally making these! My husband loves chocolate covered raisins!

23 Triathlonbabe May 17, 2010

I’m not a big fan of raisins but holy cow, if they are surrounded by organic dark chocolate….yowsa!!!

24 zoe May 17, 2010

yuuuummy! i LOVE chocolate, and i LOVE raisins! these look super good! i might just have to try them :)

sidenote: you linked to my blog!!!!! i totally had a little freak out i was so happy :) my roommate can attest to that haha. i luuurve me some banana soft serve vegan overnight oats!

25 Krystina May 17, 2010

Yum! I bet this would be fantastic with dried cherries.

26 Sarah for Real May 17, 2010

Oh yummy! I’m so funny, always like, “Duh, you can MAKE that yourself?” Haha I never would’ve thought of making my own chocolate covered raisins, but you make it look so easy!

27 emptynutjar May 17, 2010

just like glosettes :)
love chocolate-covered almonds too…
reminds me of when i was a kid, or the movies (glossette raisins do)…
dont have a microwave, but i guess other heating methods could work!

28 Amy May 17, 2010

Oh YUM – chocolate-covered almonds!! Thanks for the great idea! :) Never thought of making them myself!

Thanks, Angela, for linking to my blog! :)

29 Ashley May 17, 2010

Woop woop!! Thanks for the VOO shout out! What an amazing birthday treat you made…mmmmm I would imagine any fruit covered in that will be delicious.

30 jenny (Green Food Diaries) May 17, 2010

oh my god glosettes. i used to frigging love them!

31 Rachael May 17, 2010

Yeah, the Raisinettes were the state-side version. They danced. And I believe a couple may have had top-hats. As a kid, they were my movie treat, and I could inhale a box before the previews were finished.
I’m thinking peanut butter-covered raisins would be a beautiful creation indeed.

32 Andrea May 17, 2010

Oh my goodness those sound delicious- Glossette raisins are one of my favorite chocolate things EVER! I wonder if there’s a way to involve peanut butter… like a chocolate and peanut butter covered raisin?

33 christina cadden May 17, 2010

mm, those sounds so good!

34 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad May 17, 2010

Wow, do those ever look amazing! I love any food that includes raisins.

35 Sarah May 17, 2010

Those look delicious! I’ve never been a huge fan of raisins, but I think I might try that with dried cranberries…

I also wanted to let you know, I gave you a Sweet Blog award today: http://geonerdette.wordpress.com/2010/05/17/my-first-blog-award/ Love reading your blog!

36 Sophie @ yumventures May 17, 2010

Chocolate covered raisins have always been my favorite things to get at the movies — now I can’t wait to make my own! Amazing for a movie night with the girls and some popcorn :)

37 Casey May 17, 2010

Definitely remind me of the movies too!
Do you think carob chips would work as a substitute in this recipe?

38 Angela (Oh She Glows) May 18, 2010

I cant see why not!

39 Ilana May 17, 2010

the coconut oil is the addition i was missing when i tried this. you’re so smart :)

i almost never get candy at the movies but if i do, raisinettes it is

40 Lauren May 17, 2010

Mmm I bet these are amazing, especially since it’s DARK chocolate. Why have I never thought of this?

41 Fae May 17, 2010

I am making these pronto!!!! ;)

42 Aoife - Adventures in Veg May 18, 2010

Thanks so much for linking to my article in the Irish Independent! Spreading the joy of Green Monsters internationally :)
Yum I haven’t had chocolate raisins in soooo long….must try this recipe!
Aoife

43 Susan May 18, 2010

Dearest Angela, I will now forever be in your debt for introducing me to homemade glosettes. Simply amazing ;)

44 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 18, 2010

These look amazing! I love the combo of chocolate + coconut, so think I might try coating them with coconut flakes. :D

45 Nikki T May 18, 2010

Yummmm…..I might just make those tonight!!
What can I use instead of coconut oil (I don’t have any and I’m not sure where to find it in Edmonton or Sherwood Park!!)

PS- Happy Belated Birthday!!
PPS- I’m so sad I’m going to miss your Shop for a Cause II…I will be in Vegas!

46 Alina May 18, 2010

This is genius!!

47 Erin May 18, 2010

Genius! Now I totally want some chocolate covered raisins, right now.

48 Sam (My Sugar Obsession) May 18, 2010

almond milk! i tried it a couple months ago and hated it, but now i love it. it makes green monsters so creamy!

49 Nicci@NiftyEats May 18, 2010

I will definitley be making these tonight! I just remembered I have some dried raisins and cranberries plus white chocolate! I can’t wait to make some. Coconut is a great idea too. Thanks Angela

50 Courtney May 19, 2010

I have had trouble finding coconut oil at the store and have been banned from Whole Foods until my next paycheck… any ideas for a substitute?? Sounds like just melting chocolate won’t quite cut it and these look SOOOOOOOOO amazing!!! Great idea, thanks for sharing :)

51 courtney May 24, 2010

Your picture should be in the dictionary next to the word GENIUS because seriously, these are the most amazing (and easy!) thing I have had in a long time. I made a double batch; good thing because they won’t last long! The boyfriend also sends his deepest gratitude.

52 Mae Bryan June 3, 2010

I couldn’t find any raisins, so I used almonds and peanuts, and these were amazing! I also only had Lindt 99% dark chocolate. I bought it a few months ago, but it was too bitter for me, so I was saving it in my freezer. It was great for this recipe, and it was my first time cooking with coconut oil. Thank you!

53 Kim June 7, 2010

I just made these (with coconut butter instead of oil and with a Trader Joe’s Organic Super Dark Chocolate Bar) and WOW – SO good and SO easy – who would’ve thought? Thanks!

54 Alicia May 3, 2012

Great recipe! I substituted candied cherries for the raisins. Thanks for the idea of using the coconut oil.

55 star November 27, 2012

chocolate covered raisins have always been my favorite they are awesome but I never made them at home but I want to I am eating the ones from girlscouts yes I go to girlscouts but the chocolate covered raisins to make at home sounds awesome yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum!

56 Nicki Woo September 22, 2013

When these are room temp, is the chocolate still firm? I’m asking because I’d like to send them in a lunchbox, just wondering if they’ll stand up? Thanks!!!

57 Julia February 8, 2014

I’ve been making something like this for a few months now! I usually just melt a bar of unsweetened chocolate! I’m trying to avoid dairy and processed sugar for my son, so these are perfect! The coconut oil helps! and it can be added to 1 ingredient Banana Ice Cream or cookies!

58 Ella June 11, 2014

I made a trial run of these yesterday and OMG they are almost all gone. I was looking for a recipe that I could bring to a friend’s party this Friday- I’m the only vegan so she suggested I bring a snack and there will be two girls in attendance with nut, dairy and soy allergies. I used Enjoy Life (how great is that company?!) chocolate chips and everyone will be able to enjoy this treat! Thank you SO much, Angela!
youtube.com/user/sparklesandsuch26

59 thela January 3, 2015

Can I re-cover milk chocolate-covered raisins with dark bitter chocolate (double coat) as
I hate milk chocolate and was given 10#–by mixing dark and some salt over them, maybe??????